Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hide in New York and ever though in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. Intel plunges after the chip maker warned its struggling with manufacturing problems.
Speaker 3: Fas China's largest tech firms get an initial green light from Beijing to start preparing orders for videos two hundred.
Speaker 2: AI chips, and after years of drama comes to an end as TikTok and its Chinese parent Byte Dance close a deal to operate in the US.
Speaker 3: Let's look right now though at US markets as we close up this week, a volatile training week to say the very least consumed by geopolitics to start, and we end with a little bit of green on our screens. For the nasat one hundred, we're up five ten percent, six tenths. You can see the clallback that happened post Davos speech and post President Trump really taking his line of sight away from Greenland by force at least. But ed, it's all about the chip stocks today and you're digging into them.
Speaker 2: So Intel is down a lot, and it's because of a sales outlook for the current period that at the midpoint was below investor expectations, on track for its biggest drop since August of twenty twenty two. But remember this was a stock that just in the few weeks we've had of twenty twenty six, was up forty seven percent as of yesterday's close. The problems are in supply, but specifically in execution. Let's get to Bloomberg's chips reporter Ian King and Ian You and I spoke with Intel's CEO Lit Bhutan on the telephone. He was very clear that actually, when they say there are supply issues, a lot of this was how Intel tried to manage it. They have yield and they have production problems. Explain that to us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So those are a couple of things here. The first was that they basically did believe that the demand for some of their best products, which would be the server chips.
Speaker 2: Was there.
Speaker 4: Didn't build inventory, didn't assign supply to that, so that didn't help. But then the production, which could help you out where you get more chips for a production room, what's called yield. If that had been better, they would have had more chips and been able to meet more supply. So they've really left quite a lot of orders on the table here and obviously that is not good.
Speaker 3: What does it say about the future of its fab business in if you're a solo.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I can refer you to what the analysts has said, which is, look, if you're out there looking for external customers for your factories, your factories have to be showing their best side. They have to be operating at full of you know, best they can. They have to be working, you know, a maximum efficiency. If that's not the case, then that obviously hurts your you know, your sales pitch to outside customers.
Speaker 5: Intil Intel.
Speaker 2: We also discussed in the context of Intel his efforts with the coming fourteen A process right, and I found lit Bhutan's candor quite interesting. We tried to push them and say where are the customers and his answer was until I have a volume commitment on that, I'm not going to tell you anything. Just give us a bit more of how he tried to explain that foundry business in its progress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, this is him sticking to a line of kind of reasoning which I think resonated initially with shareholders and then caused a little bit of concern. Basically, he's saying, look, this is really expensive building these factories and equipping them past the fortune I am not going to do that until my customers say, here's an order that I can then turn into cash that pays for these factories. So that's a very logical, sort of down to earth, pragmatic sort of viewpoint, saying that he'll know for sure whether he's going to get concrete orders or not in the second half of this year and into the first half of net. So from the Wall Street perspective, that's like we're still in the kind of wait and see period in terms of whether Intel can become this kind of boundary this rival to TSMC.
Speaker 3: Wonder how the administration is viewing it as a key stakeholder in Intel in king great roundup, Thank you, Let's turn attuch to a Bloomberg exclusive. Now, Ali Baba ten Fighte Dance were then now allowed to prepare orders for Invideo's h two hundred AI chips, suggesting that Beijing is prioritizing the needs of the major Chinese hyperscalers again close to formally approving imports of essential AI components. Let's get to bloomog Tech executive editor Peter Elstrom, it's another stepping stone that hints Beijing I'll.
Speaker 6: Let them in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a very closely watched drama.
Speaker 7: Of course, Nvidia used to sell lots of AI chips into the China market, but Washington and Beijing have been battled over exactly what kind of chips are going to be sold and what kind of volume. Washington has stopped the most advanced chips from go into the market, but the Trump administration did approve these age two hundred chips to be sold into the market. It wasn't clear whether Beijing was going to let its tech companies buy these chips. Now now what we're hearing from sources is that they have given the go ahead for the key companies you mentioned, Alibaba, ten Sent and byte Dance to prepare their orders, to tell them how much they want to buy from Nvidia, and then they're going to make decisions about when exactly this is going to happen. It's going to come with some caveats. They do still want to build up the domestic industry. They want these companies to also purchase from some of the domestic players, which include Wallwe technologies and camera con as we've talked about in the show a few times before. But it looks like they're going to be able to go ahead with those Age two hundreds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those caveats also include restrictions, right that on both sides of this negotiation, there is agreement that the Chinese officials that we're hearing from talking about there will not be access when it comes to sensitive industries things like that.
Speaker 5: Just break that down, Peter. Yeah, they're concerned.
Speaker 7: They've said this before with the chips and now the two hundred chips.
Speaker 5: They're concerned.
Speaker 7: They don't want invidious chips going into sensitive areas like the military, like state on enterprises or government agencies for that case. So the market's going to be narrower than what it would be otherwise. But in Vidia used to again, used to sell a lot of chips into this market, used to be very very important. Jensen Wong has talked about how important it is, and they know that there's demand there for these chips, so he'd like to get back in. And I think this is not the Age two hundreds are not the end of the game here. We know that some people in the Trump administration included David Sachs have advocated for selling even more in video chips into China, and so we think that if this is going to move ahead, it's more symbolic of what the broader potential is in China for in video if they can make this happen.
Speaker 2: Bobergs, Peter Elstrom, thank you very much. Let's get more on that story. Joanne Feenie, partner and portfolio manager and Advisors Capital Management, long time.
Speaker 5: Coverage of the chip industry.
Speaker 2: Now on the buy side of the table, Joe, and you yourself owned some Nvidia. I feel like we've discussed different shades of this story many times over on this program with you. But at this point, at this juncture, and based on the reporting that Peter just gave us, do you start to model in some upside for Nvidia in the China market and thus think about your positioning on that stock.
Speaker 8: Yeah, clearly it's a good sign, right, and it's been long and coming, but you know, the size of the market opportunity is still hard to define. You know, clearly China wants to encourage its own semiconductor industry to catch up to some degree to in Vidia.
Speaker 9: But you know, it's a good sign. It's incrementally positive.
Speaker 8: We're not really going to model it in at this point because it's hard to know how large it could be. Nevertheless, a positive sign opening up that market, and also just to you know, continue to make sure, as Jensen Wang has put it, that AI applications are built on the US technology stat primarily, and because we have the leading ships that's appropriate.
Speaker 2: As Jensen one has put it, it's a fifty billion dollars per year market opportunity if they can go back to China, which is currently a net zero assumption. That last bit you said, I really want the joe An Foinie take on this. In the White House, the consideration was if we don't sell any technology deprecated or otherwise into China, then there will be a vacuum which the Chinese domestic players will occupy. But there is still this national security and competition standpoint. Where do you stand on that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not a military expert, ed, so I'm going to refrain from from talking really about how this could change the military, you.
Speaker 9: Know, competitive situation.
Speaker 8: You know, if we don't sell these chips, if Nvidia doesn't get to tell these sell these ships, China will develop them and they've worked around the you know, less capability of their own chips by redesigning you know, inside the rats to try to save energy, to try to.
Speaker 9: Boost through put it. And they'll continue to do that, and they'll do that in AI applications.
Speaker 8: They are going to do that in military applications, whether or not they can use those Nvidia chips there. So, you know, I think that the opportunity for US to have more sort of input and potential control over the future of this AI technology is really a worthwhile goal.
Speaker 3: The administration looking at h two hundreds, the administration probably looking at the share fall of Intel today, Joanne, take us to your thoughts on the manufacturing well, lackluster performance thus far from the company, it seems.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean until Caroline has certainly had its problems.
Speaker 8: I mean they went down what is retrospect, the wrong path in terms of the process technology. And now they've been trying to fix that since Pat Gelsinger was put in charge and now with Liptu Bhutan, and clearly we're seeing that it's more challenging than perhaps investors recognize.
Speaker 9: And I think investors really got ahead of the story.
Speaker 8: You know, they saw the US government come in and take a stake and they felt like, you know, that put a floor on the stock price to so degree. But you know, Intel is in a situation with you know, two things coming out on that report. One, they're gross margins. You know, you know they beat a little bit, but they beat. It's thirty seven point nine percent. I mean, Intel, right should have gross margins above sixty percent, given that they're one of two suppliers in the PC business.
Speaker 5: Well, Joe, let me.
Speaker 2: Just say whether they should or not, Whether they should or not. Historically they had margins of sixty percent, just to jump in on that point.
Speaker 8: That's a very good clarification, at very good point. Should in terms of market structure. But now you know they're trying to play in the AI market and they're well behind and now in videos the leaders, So you know, look at invideos margins clearly right for competition to.
Speaker 9: Come in there.
Speaker 8: But you know, with their outlook showing that they've sold out of their server CPUs, they're going to have a weak quarter this quarter. The yields are lower than they would like, and it just you know, people look at that gross margin and they see it as a really important signal of how much progress they're making in a complex manufacturing process. And clearly they're not making as much progress as investors will like and as the company would like. And so I think it's a particularly risky bed. We have not owned Intel for clients. We think that the opportunity cost is just too high. You can own a Broadcom, which we've owned for you know, eleven years for clients. You can own Nvidia, which we've owned for clients since twenty twenty two. These are clearly market leaders, and they've ironed out the design challenges and through their partners to like TSMC, the manufacturing challenges, and so they're delivering. And Intel faces now are chicken and an egg problem on the fourteen A process.
Speaker 3: Go there on the foundry side there for Joanne, because the signals that maybe well, that side of the equation still needs more than just the government buying in to think that they're going to solidify any partners here and building and manufacturing for them.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Intel's tried to enter the foundery world.
Speaker 8: We've talked in the past about you know how challenging that is to move from producing your own ships to move to producing others. The design libraries and all that, but they fundamentally need the manufacturing process. And the problem that they face right now is that, on the one hand, they're saying, hey, we don't want to invest the cap x to build up this capacity until we have customers locked in. But customers aren't going to lock in unless they know they have a manufacturing process that works and that can deliver. Because you know, you're designing a product, you're designing it years out, and you have to know the supply will be there if you commit to a certain manufacturing partner.
Speaker 9: So it's a real chick out an egg problem.
Speaker 8: They might have to bet on, you know, on making it happen and being able to deliver the customers by getting that process up and running and showing that they can get yield up in volume even in advance of locking down some customers.
Speaker 9: So you know, it's almost a bet the company kind of problem.
Speaker 8: And that's why again, as an investor, we're not enthusiastic about Intel.
Speaker 9: The risk is simply too high.
Speaker 8: We don't find the current valuation compelling given that risk. We think there are better places to be and so we're gonna We're.
Speaker 9: Gonna stick with with where we are. For example, and am D.
Speaker 8: By the way, that recent result pretty clearly indicated that am D is continuing to gain share against Intel, likely both in server CPU and in PCCPU.
Speaker 3: Joanne Feeni with all the context Advisors Capital Management, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Happy weekend. Now coming up, Tesla's.
Speaker 3: Robotaxi gets closer to fully autonomous reality is some vehicles in Austin feature no human safety monitors in the car. While on that next as a Roomberg technology roombog tech, so Tesla has begun offering robotaxi rides in a limited number of vehicles in Austin with no human safety driver behind the wheel.
Speaker 6: In a post on x CEO in a Musk when even.
Speaker 3: Further suggesting that cracking real world self driving technology could ultimately lead to artificial general intelligence, Thomas really unpack what this moment means for the future of autonomous technology. We're joined by Regina Klulo, Managing director of Populace.
Speaker 6: Regina brings more.
Speaker 3: Than a decade of hands on experience and transportation and mobility. Look your hold on PhD in transportation and energy systems.
Speaker 6: My team, we should listen to you. Is this a big feat?
Speaker 10: This is definitely a significant development it's another major player in the autonomous vehicle space, and it shows more confidence in the technology, but it's still pretty limited and it's definitely an experiment.
Speaker 5: It's an experiment, Regina. I'm just going to jump in.
Speaker 2: People on the Tesla side of the camp say, this is a notable moment because it's a first for a vision only based platform to be on public roads, not just with no one in the driver's seat, but no supervising attendant in the passenger seat either. People would also note that there were other restrictions on social media. For example, there were support vehicles from Tesla. It is alleged and claimed that said the vision only part, the distinction that Tesla's system relies only on cameras, whireas Weimo has a multi sensor suite. Interpretation of why that's significant, well, I.
Speaker 10: Think there are a couple of companies, including Zookes and Tesla, that are really designing vehicles that are intended to be purpose built for autonomous driving and for autonomous right hailing. So it is the significant development, and I think at the end of the day, what's great is that there are multiple players that are entering the market, which ultimately for cities is a good thing because it makes the regulatory landscape easier for them to manage.
Speaker 3: Regulatory landscape has not held back other competitors to this point. And when you think about a few a handful of Tesla's on the road and you compare that to a million rides or having per month already using weimo, and they're aiming it for a million per week, how much are we able to really say that Tessa's winning here or not.
Speaker 10: I think it's still very early days, but the landscape is moving much more quickly, especially over the last three years. You see these new players entering the market with commercial right hailing services, But I don't think that you know, it's clear that there's any one winner at this point in time. Although weimo is significantly ahead at the moment in terms of commercial right hailing, as you mentioned, they're estimating to reach a million rights per week by the end of the year, but it's still anyone's market to win, and it's exciting to see more players enter it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In simple terms, people define Weimo being ahead by the number of cities it's deployed in without any human supervision in the car and charging affair to passengers. I'd love to talk about the human side of this though, right in your research at a number of academic institutions over the years, do we have the evidence yet that the general population feels ready to jump in a robo taxis their sort of chosen method of transfer.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 10: In San Francisco there's a lot of data to suggest that consumers do really feel comfortable utilizing Weimo and sort of segments of customers preferring Weimo and even being willing to pay more for that vehicle over let's say an Uber or Lyft. So I think that people are becoming very comfortable, very quickly with these vehicles, and we'll just continue to see that happen Regina.
Speaker 6: What's interesting is the global context.
Speaker 3: Because we saw actually shares of Uber and Lyft get hit by this announcement of Elo Musk, and in many ways they're already out there, not only partnering in Austin with Weimo like Uber, but they're also in China and we're seeing Beijing people hopping in those cars pretty actively. We're also seeing it in the Middle East as well, with we Ride and Uber out there trying things. How are you seeing globally the readiness of the consumer.
Speaker 10: I think that a lot of the global readiness is pretty accepting. We have a lot of other countries out there that we'll be willing to allow more vehicles and more operators to experiment, and then putting those vehicles out there for consumers to begin adopting allows them to move forward more quickly. So I think that, you know, at a global level, we're going to continue to see an acceleration of the adoption of those vehicles.
Speaker 2: Regina Klulo of Populous, Great to have you on the show, Thank you very much. Okay, So Apple's basically flat in the session, but actually it had a pretty rough start to the week. And believe it or not, this is a stock that's on track for its eighth straight weekly decline, the worst run of weekly declines going back to May of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 5: There is a lot in the news.
Speaker 2: Cycle with Apple, and a lot of it comes from Bloomberg. The company's hardware chief, John Turnas, has added one of the iPhone maker's most critical functions and prestigious responsibilities to his role overseeing the design teams. It's a new sign that Turnus is a leading contender to take over for CEO Tim Cook one day all according to our sources and the guy that broke the story, plumost Mark German is here introduce us to mister Turners. What does your reporting tell us about his new workload? And also that signal that he's climbing the ranks here.
Speaker 11: John Turnis has been Apple's Senior VP of Hardware Engineering since twenty twenty one. That means he runs all hardware development for essentially every Apple products. He's in charge of the iPhone, charge of the iPad, and charge of the Mac, now in charge of the Apple Watch, and he's been elevated to expand his role this year a couple times, taking like I said, full oversight of the Apple Watch, but also taking charge of Apple's AI robotics teams. Now very recently, Tim Cook put them in charge of overseeing Apple's design teams for both hardware and software. And no design is the look and feel of the products, what the interface looks like, what the icons look like, how the software works. Industrial design are things like the shapes of the devices, the colors, the weight in the field goes well beyond the engineering of making everything work. And like you said, design is one of the most critical and prestigious functions at Apple. It's really only been run by the most senior executives in the company's history, people like Johnny Ive, Steve Jobs himself, Tim Cook himself, and the COO Jeff Williams, who retired a few months ago. Now John Turnis adds to that list, and it's yet another strong indicator that he's being groomed for a larger role and is at the very top of the short list of front runners the potential Tim Cook's successors at one point when Cook ultimately does decide to retire.
Speaker 3: Mark What's interesting is how subtly this was done. And I'm sure that's because they don't want to aggravate too much the investor base, but also those also in the running talk about who else we could see being lined up in some way.
Speaker 11: This is a very strange setup Organizationally, the design teams are overseen by Turnis, but on paper they report to CEO Tim Cook. Various reasons why you want to do that. Apple previously announced that Cook would be running the design team, so you don't want to take that away from him publicly and undermine the CEO. You don't want to get into a debate about who's better suited to run design, whether that's an engineer or an operations person like Cook. In terms of other CEO candidates, or really only one other at this point, that's Sabby Khan, the chief operating officer. Other publications have thrown out names like Eddie Q, Greg Joswiak, Greg Federigi, Girdre Brian. Nothing I've heard points to any of them being CEO other than maybe in an emergency like scenario, it's really Turnus or the new COO, Sabby con Mark.
Speaker 2: We have ten seconds. What's the one product that Turnus is going to be zeroed in on this year?
Speaker 11: This year, it's got to be the foldable iPhone. This is going to be a potential growth driver for company revenue and we'll see him front and center for that in September.
Speaker 6: Max mon Gumman with all escapes. You so appreciate it. Welcome back to Blue meg Tech.
Speaker 3: Let's check in on these markets because we end the week on a high, but it's been a turbulant four days of trading, shortened week given the holiday on Monday, We're up five ten percent on the day on the Nasdaq. One hundred is you'll see more focus maybe post Davos on the future of AI and of technology. Bitcoin is up three tens percent, but look, it's still been hammered a little bit. We're sub ninety thousand dollars overall. I'm looking at some individual names and looking only one. Really do you want to be taking real attention to in terms of points and in terms of the absolute.
Speaker 6: Move, it's Intel. We're off by fifteen percent.
Speaker 3: Look, the context is it's up prior to today fifty percent on the month, on the year, and it had a rapid run up. But the manufacturing issues, the issues with basically yield on some of their chips and not managing to make the most of demand for aipcs, and indeed in CPUs.
Speaker 6: That's a letdown trying to investibate that investor base.
Speaker 5: Okay, some deal news.
Speaker 2: Capital One has agreed to purchase fintech startup Brex for five point one five billion dollars in a fifty to fifty cash and stock deal. It's the largest acquisition for the bank since its purchase of Discover, which closed in May of last year. Here to discuss is Pedro Francesci Rex CEO.
Speaker 5: Pedro Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: I mean, the obvious question to many last night was the timing. But five point one five billion dollars is a pretty steep discount to the valuation you raise money at in twenty twenty two, which was twelve billion dollars. What do you think that signals the timing and also the value you agreed?
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for having you. We're really excited about this news. And you know, this is a really special combination. First, it's as you mentioned, it's the largest bank fintech deal in history. And really the way we thought about this is really this unique one plus one equals three scenario. So of course at brex we build you know, corporate cards, expense management, banking products, bringing financial services and software together. And then Capital One is really the original fintech. They brought technology and data together for the first time and have been a huge source.
Speaker 5: Of inspiration for us.
Speaker 12: And as we saw as we started to think more about this together, we really saw this very unique combination of bringing rexist technology, product and platform with Capital One scale brand distribution and balance sheet and materially accelerate our go to market and our product development to a level that would be you know, amashed to a standalone private company or even a public company for that matter. So we saw this a massive opportunity to build it together, opportunity to build.
Speaker 2: But why was Capital One able to pay a more than fifty percent discount on your last private valuation.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So when we look into all the public market comps that that in the fintech space, they're mostly trading between eight, nine, ten, maybe eleven times, this acquisition is at a thirteen times multiple. So it's a huge premium to where all public market comps are today. And the reason, of course Capital One believes in this is because there is a massive growth opportunity. We really believe that we're here to build really the most important financial platform for businesses in the US. And you know, it's a very you know, two founder led companies coming in together. And the reason they're so excited and we're so excited about this is because of the obvious webside path that we have from here.
Speaker 3: But Pedro, it's not an upside to that previous valuation. And I hear you on the premium compared to where others trade on the day, But why not just stay private for longer? Why not build? Why not return to a twelve billion dollar valuation in the private markets.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So the thing that we learned is we had we did a lot of you know, twenty twenty one valuations. We're a very specific point in time and market. And one of the things that we believe for PREX is that the teams to see reality the best wins. And we like to run the company in a way that mirrors where everything eventually converts to you, which is public markets. And when we look from a public market lens into everything that we've done, we made a lot of decisions around the way we accelerate to growth over the past few years, went after the enterprise became a casual positive company, and this combination of factors, may this be a really special outcome. And we think that private companies that mirror themselves in a point in time valuation eventually forget that everything converges to public markets eventually. And when we compare the where brexast today with where a lot of peers have ipoed and where other companies on a private basis have been, we think this is a really exciting and different outcome. But the real reason behind it and the real reason I'm so excited for this next phase of REX is because this is the beginning of us building the most, the largest, and I think the most important platform for businesses. When you combine the scale, the balance sheet, the distribution, and the tech mindset that Capital one has with the product and the technology that we have at BREX. So really, at the end of the day, it's about building something bigger than what we could ever build as a standbone company.
Speaker 6: How will it change your trajectory? What will you build? Is it AI that gets infused? What more does this give you power to do?
Speaker 12: So just giving you two examples, so Capital one has a six billion dollar marketing budget. Brex has a fraction of data less than one percent of that today. Just imagine the distribution and the capability to go in and serve the millions of businesses in the US. Capital one also serves already millions of businesses today and all these businesses will benefit from the BREX product and technology that really helps the run their business in a much better way. And then when you're looking at the R and D side and AI to your point, Capital one has a six billion dollar again R and D budget as well, and when you combine this with the product roadmap, and the vision that we have at brex. We think we're going to accelerate this momentum tremendously and continue to build in a much seper trajectory than what we're able to do now, and the benefit of the end for customers will be, you know, a much better product, a much more robust, fraildnap and just accelerating air path compared to what we could ever do independently.
Speaker 3: Come back as you scale, Pedro Francisci is great to have you the brexits, I mean no, let's stick with other deal news because nearly a year after an initial deadline to sell TikTok Us has been bought by consortium.
Speaker 6: You know, it's led by Oracle On the social.
Speaker 3: Media President Trump thank the Chinese leaders using pin for quote.
Speaker 6: Working with us.
Speaker 3: Let's discuss the details been both Social media reporter Alexandra Levigne has been following what has been quite the journey. So the players involved talk us through who's going to have the ownership and how that ownership changes what us TikTok looks like.
Speaker 13: So we know that the folks that are all only going to be involved are going to be the three managing investors silver Lake, MGX, and Oracle, which already has this long standing relationship with TikTok. And then there are a combination of other investors that are already that have long been long time by Dan's affiliates. I think that the most remarkable piece of this is just the fact that it's spanned three presidencies more than half a decade. It's been almost seven years since olives started and two hundred million people, which is more than half a country, are now on the platform, and it has grown so considerably since all of this has been happening.
Speaker 2: I think it's also important to kind of get to know some of the people behind this new entity. They have a leader who was a relatively high level executive at the larger n seat to tell us about him.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So the new CEO of this new TikTok venture is Adam Presser. Adam Presser has been viewed as a contender for the top job. He's been viewed as a very influential insider for many years. He has an entertainment background, not a political background. But he came from WarnerMedia and he joined TikTok in twenty twenty two and was since then really really close to Show to you reporting directly into to Show who has been the CEO. He's taken increasing responsibility over the last few years and he's really like just below the top of by Dance Global, and so this was a very obvious choice. And he has also been leading TikTok Us Data Security it's out of protection arm that is now basically being adapted into this new joint venture, you know, over the last year.
Speaker 2: Or so Bloomberg z Alex slaviine with the reporting, Thank you very much. Coming up, the age of unicorns is behind us. Is the number of Decca horns and hecticorns grows. Peter Singlehurst, so Baby Gifford joins us to talk about skyrocketing private valuations.
Speaker 5: That's next. This is Bloomberg tech.
Speaker 3: Companies. They're staying private for longer. Valuations are hitting new highs. The appetite to invest in private growth equity is expanding. Just think about some of these names, SpaceX, Data, Bricks and Real. Peter Singlehurst's head of private companies are Bailey GIFD, which is an investor in all three of those really hot come you even call them startups anymore? He joins us now Peter Bailey GIFFD has been at this a long time, since twenty twelve, allocating billions.
Speaker 6: Is this sustainable, this extent.
Speaker 3: That companies are staying private for longer, and will the wall of money still come in?
Speaker 14: I think what we've seen is a structural change in how companies capitalize themselves. This is driven by some very enduring factors such as regulation. Sarbaine's oxously made it more difficult to be public, and aspects of the Jobs Acts made it easier to stay private. But I think there's also been a cultural change amongst companies. I think founders today they realize that you can build a better, more enduring business by staying private for longer, because you can be more focused on the fundamentals of business building. And I think that has led to an irreversal change in companies staying private for longer, and as a result, we're seeing exceptional, world class businesses of real scale in the private markets.
Speaker 3: And now twenty twenty six can be quite the unlock. We can have a one and a half trillion dollar IPO of SpaceX if they live up to their own hype, which you're in, we could have Anthropics been talked of for twenty twenty six. Even open AI's been talked off for twenty twenty six. Vita is twenty twenty six going.
Speaker 6: To be the year?
Speaker 3: And how do you think about some of your holdings ahead of that as to whether you want to be holding onto them in significant size.
Speaker 14: It is unquestionable that many of these companies are of the scale and maturity, solidity, operational robustness to be public businesses, and I think the real question is when do they choose to enter the public market. I think it's also pretty clear that public market investors are going to have real appetite for these businesses.
Speaker 15: I think there are really two questions, though, at what price?
Speaker 14: Are what valuations will public market investors be willing to commit significant amounts of cattle to these businesses? And how do the public markets digest IPOs of this scale? The largest tech IPO in history was Ali Barbera in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 15: That was a mere twenty five billion dollar IPO.
Speaker 14: If SpaceX witt lists ten percent of itself, even at its current valuation, you'd be looking at an eighty billion dollar valuation. So I think we're in slightly uncharted waters with regards to the scale of these IPOs Here at Bailey Gifford, we keep our public and private growth equity franchises tightly integrated. And when we own a company that comes to the public markets, if our public teams decide to buy that company, that's based on their own decision. They have to make the right decisions for their public market clients. We can potentially become much much owners of these businesses and own them for a really long time into the pub markets.
Speaker 15: Long term ism is in our DNA as an organization.
Speaker 14: We've been doing growth equity investing for one hundred and eighteen years, right, We've been doing it in private markets for about fourteen years, and we have really been in this part of the private markets, these large growth stage private businesses for as long as this asset class has existed.
Speaker 2: That those names have not been one hundred percent liquid. The secondary market has been fascinating for transparency in context. You know, Belly Gifford came in for criticism by Cyber Capital Management, right a hedge fund park that context. But is the manager on the private side, how do you balance that the timing of maybe trimming or taking advantage of liquidity moment tender or otherwise or not holding on to it and growing.
Speaker 14: I think that's a really interesting observation edin that that first wave of company staying private for longer I would say up to the twenty fifteen stage was driven by the privileged and of primary capital to fund companies growth in the private markets. What's led to these megacap private companies is that we're seeing more secondary market transactions happening, meaning that secondary market requirements can be solved whilst companies remain private. We've seen that in the likes of SpaceX, We've seen that in the likes of Data Bricks in by Dance in Stripe, and that is really enabling companies to.
Speaker 15: Put off these IPOs for a really, really long time.
Speaker 14: Our job is to manage portfolios and selectively, we will occasionally look to trim our positions in private markets if we're wanting to realize some of those gains, either to recycle into new new holdings or distribute returns to our limited partners.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in how strong and influential feel Bailey gift it is, you know, with respect, Peter, I've broken a lot of news right over the years on SpaceX and or whatever. But the composition of the cap table like SpaceX, you've basically got founder's fund fidelity in Google, not necessarily in that order. And like all late stage growth rounds pre IPO, the crossover investors want to come in, they want to anchor a future IPO. Do you have influence on the management at SpaceX? Do you try and be constructive operationally in working with them in the direction they want to take the company.
Speaker 14: So we try to focus our value add capabilities on the things which are particularly pertinent to growth stage companies.
Speaker 15: We're not trying to do venture capital.
Speaker 14: We're trying to do growth equity investing, and that means the ways in which we have to influence companies need to be designed to the growth stage. So, for instance, we will often play a role in helping our companies shape governance frameworks transitioning to independent led boards as they think about becoming public the public.
Speaker 15: Markets as well.
Speaker 14: We've been for one hundred years and we bring that expertise in helping our portfolio companies get ready for being a public business. But that's not something that we try to do six months before come and it becomes public. We try to do that in the years leading up to being a public business.
Speaker 3: So when you're looking at an Anthropic, for example, and there are now there are actually more companies analysts at banks now analyzing private companies because they're so huge. And one of the analysis really coming from JB. Morgan, for example, is that the premium pricing that Anthropic has might start to be hit by the level of competition in the enterprise. Is that something you steer a company on or something that you agree with.
Speaker 14: Look, I think that when we're investing in a company like Anthropic, fundamentally, what we're trying to do is determined not just how large the revenue base can be. We're trying to determine how much of that can flow down profit and how large that profit can be relative to return on equacy. So of course we're trying to understand pricing, power dynamics, we're trying to understand margin structures, and we're trying to understand capital intensity and the returns that can be earned on capital. Clearly, the AI markets are pretty hot at the moment. We think whenever you have a market, there will be a tiny number of exceptional companies. And so we own Anthropic, we own data bricks, but we're not an AI find We're trying to find the best growth companies wherever we can find them, and often you find them in areas where people aren't looking.
Speaker 2: Peter, I wish we could do thirty minutes with you. We can't. Very simply, things have changed. You have retail investors coming in via these big SPVs, pension funds I talked about with SpaceX and then basically golf sovereign money. How is that changing the market for you? And again let's go back to valuations in that context.
Speaker 14: I think the truth is private markets are not democratic markets, so companies still get to choose their investors, and companies will still anchor towards we'll steer towards value added partners and partners who they believe will be with them for the long term and can support them. But I think it's really important to point out that the demand and appetite for these kind of large, late stage growth companies is very rational. To give you one very tangible example, Tesla went public in twenty ten to two billion dollar evaluation. Today SpaceX is still private, valued at eight hundred billion dollars, so there's a four hundred x difference there that historically the public markets have access to and today that growth is happening in the private markets. So I think it's perfectly right that people are wanting to get access to these companies. And I guess the journey that we've been on over the last fourteen years has been helping our clients maintain their exposure to the growth of these world beating companies despite them remaining private for longer.
Speaker 2: Peter Singlehurst, head of private Companies, that they Gifford, really grateful for your time on Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Amazon's preparing to let go of thousands more corporate employees. According to sources, the company plans to begin terminations as soon as next week. This comes just a few months after Amazon announced it was cutting as many as fourteen thousand rolls. The layoffs could affect the company's nearly three hundred and fifty thousand corporate personnel.
Speaker 3: OK one to watch, of course, because meanwhile Amazon has confirmed its Jew release earnings and the date is going to be Thursday, February the fifth, along with a whole host of other megacap names that a Jew in the next week or so. Equity spporter run Vasilica joins us now as we embrace ourselves.
Speaker 6: For what remamber us. It will call the fire hose.
Speaker 3: So are we prepping for good underlying fundamentals this time?
Speaker 16: Fundamentals probably yes. A lot of growth metrics remain very strong, much stronger than other sectors of the market. The question is, because growth is going to be slower than it was last year, is there enough jew to keep pushing these megacap tech stocks higher. It does seem like so far this year cinemas has really moved to other parts of the market. There's been rotations towards sickles cyclical sectors. There's been favoring within tech of companies like sand Disk and Micron, the memory and storage companies. There's been some changes in market leadership and momentum. But I do think people are expecting some pretty strong numbers out of the megacaps.
Speaker 2: Of those megacaps and of the different data sets you try. What gets from VLAs sellica excited? What is the kind of key thing that you'll be scanning at your desk next week?
Speaker 16: Well, I think a major focus is going to be how much these companies continue to spend on capex, especially when it comes to AI, and furthermore, the kinds of returns they're seeing on this. If people start giving more pronounced guideposts to the kinds of returns they're seeing, how much they're able to monetize all this AI related spending. I think all of that is going to go a long way to sort of dictating sentiment towards AI over the coming months. When it comes to Apple, a little bit of a unique situation there, the real focus is going to be how much memory chip prices have increased in recent months. If they indicate that that's going to be a real headwind to their margins or their overall growth, that's going to be something to watch there.
Speaker 3: And that was something we thinking about with Intel and itself. The valuation got crazy more than TSMC. Briefly, Ryan, where do we stand on valuations?
Speaker 16: It does seem like a lot of people feel like Intel's valuation got kind of ahead of itself. I think the stop rose about one hundred and eighty percent off of a low hit last year. That's a very steep move for a company of this type, especially one that's undergoing this sort of really fundamental and dramatic transformation. There's a lot of skepticism still about how well they're going to be able to get their foundry business kind of up and running and able to compete with some of the bigger players in the market. So very much to show me story, a turnaround story that remains in progress, and I think a lot of people just looked at how much it moved since a lot of those moves.
Speaker 5: Kind of came on a limited news bloomas Ryan for Seneca. Thank you very much. That does it.
Speaker 2: For the addition of Bloomberg Tech, check out the pod. This is Bloomberg Tech.