Speaker 1: Welcome to Haunted Road, a production of iHeartRadio and Grim and Mild from Aaron Manky listener Discretion is Advised. Founded in fifteen sixty five, Saint Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied city in America. It's home to the Fountain of Youth at least sort of, and some of the most beautiful Spanish Revival architecture in the country. But there's a dark side to all of that history. Corruption ran rampant in Saint Augustine when some people would be unjustly imprisoned on flimsy, sometimes unwarranted charges. The conditions of the Saint John County Jail were so inhumane that inmates were referred to as the product. So few people survived the harsh imprisonment that any sentence there was considered a life sentence. Today, the Saint Augustine Old City Jail is one of the city's biggest tourist attractions, with tours led by costumed re enactors. They walk the old jail's corridors, recreating what life was like there for inmates. What some people don't realize is that many of the inmates never left. I'm Amy Bruney, and this is haunted road. A beachfront city on Florida's Atlantic coast, Saint Augustine brings in millions of tourists annually to take advantage of the white sand beaches and the unique historic attractions like the Saint Augustine Lighthouse. Regular listeners might remember the shadowy figures in disembodied Children's Laughter of that remarkably haunted place. The city is also home to what some claim is the real Fountain of youths at the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park. It was rumored to have been discovered by Ponce Delion and his explorations of Florida's coast in fifteen thirteen, one hundred and fifty years ago. While the historic architecture Saint Augustine might have looked similar, the city wasn't a widely known tourist destination like it is today. But one man, Henry Flagler, was about to find the ancient city as it's nicknamed and changed Saint Augustine forever. Flagler co founded Standard Oil with John D. Rockefeller in eighteen sixty three and quickly found himself enormously wealthy, according to the Flagler Museum, when he died in nineteen thirteen, his estate was worth one hundred million dollars or about twelve point five billion in today's money. In eighteen seventy eight, his wife, Mary Flagler, was in failing house suffering from tuberculosis. Doctors ordered them to leave New York City winter and head to warmer climes to help Mary's recovery. The couple headed to Jacksonville, Florida, but Mary did not survive the trip. Soon afterward, Flagler remarried and discovered Saint Augustine, about forty miles away, according to Oldtown Trolley tours. He found the area charming and brimming with possibilities, but sorely lacking in accommodations. Flagler began to invest in real estate, including constructing a luxury hotel that would be a beacon to wealthy travelers. Now part of Flagler College, the Poncedalion Hotel was constructed in eighteen eighty eight. It was designed to attract rich and famous guests looking for a warm weather escape. The five hundred forty room hotel was designed in the Spanish Revival by the same architectural firm that shortly afterwards would design the New York Public Library with the help of Flagler's friend Thomas Edison. The hotel was one of the first in America to be built hardwired for electricity. Lewis Comfort Tiffany and his company Tiffany Company handled the interior design. Murals inside were painted by George Maynard, who later painted murals inside the Library of Congress. Everything was perfect except one thing. Directly across the street from the Poncedallyon Hotel was the Saint John County Jail, and it simply would not do to have that be the most prominent thing Flagler's well healed clientel would see from his marquee establishment. But baires, as you might guess, have an easy way of solving problems. Flagler got the prison moved with one flex of his checkbook. He donated ten thousand dollars to the Saint John County Commissioners to build a new jail far out of sight of his hotel. According to Visit Saint Augustine, Flagler wanted to ensure a safe and pleasant environment for his patrons by creating a secure fortress to house criminals. It was important to Flagler that the exterior appearance of this fortress wouldn't disrupt the majestic atmosphere of the ancient city. To accomplish this, it was designed with a Romanesque Revival style that gave it the distinct appearance of a Victorian house. Without interior comfort and charm, it was almost unrecognizable as a jail apart from the barred windows. The architects PJ. Poly Jail Company would go on to design Alcatraz shortly after. The Saint John County Jail was designed to hold seventy two male and twelve female inmates. The two story prison had a northern wing which housed the general population, a maximum security area, a women's area in na in the kitchen. The southern wing had an office for the sheriff and living quarters for his family. In fact, the building was so appealing that people would go there assuming it was a hotel and asking for a room. It was a nice looking jail, but what was going on inside was horrific. Dana Saint Clair, director of the Saint Augustine four hundred and fiftieth Commission, told the Saint Augustine Record. According to Anne Coleby, author of Wicked Saint Augustine, when Pedro Menendez de Aviles founded Saint Augustine in fifteen sixty five. His New World survival kit included gambling, liquor, and ladies for hire. For the next four hundred years, these three industries were vital in keeping the city financially afloat. The illicit activities, sometimes illegal and sometimes just thought of as socially unacceptable, were carried out right under the noses of local law enforcement and politicians. After all, those people were regular participants. They patronized the illegal gambling parlors and drank at the speakeasies, even though you know probabit. As Colby told the Saint Augustine Record, there were a number of arrests, but very few convictions for either prostitution or running a brothel. Because all of the law enforcement, all the judges, most of the city council members, they were all customers. That corruption went a lot further all the way through how the prison was run. Some of the prison's population, to be sure, deserved to be there. Sim Jackson was hanged in nineteen oh eight for murdering his wife with a straight razor. Charlie Powell was hanged in nineteen ten for killing a man for spreading rumors about his wife, but some definitely did not deserve to be incarcerated. Saint Clair added, people were rounded up on trumped up charges like loitering and intoxication, and in those days, when you were rounded up, it was pretty much a death sentence. Gina Kish, history teller for the Old Jail, told Saint Augustine Register that some of the women imprisoned had committed no crime at all. They would drag women of low reputation down here, so if you didn't have a good family name or a husband, you could be thrown in jail, she said. Inside its walls, conditions were unliving. Overcrowded cells allowed disease to run rampant, and high tensions led to vicious violence between prisoners as ghosts and gravestones. Described by today's standards, these cells would be considered unlivable for humans. No blankets or pillows were provided, and the mattresses stuffed with Spanish moss were often infested with red bugs. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the site continues, the Old jail had no bathing facilities or sanitation for human waste, which meant the inmates were not able to bathe, and there was a stench that could not be eliminated if the men's conditions were bad, the women's conditions were worse. There were six women to a cell that was only designed to hold four, and none of the women's cells had electricity or running water. The only bathroom facilities the women had access to were buckets. The men's cells got plumbing in nineteen fourteen, but the women never did. As Ghosts and Gravestones described, Maximum Security housed the most dangerous prisoners held at the jail and included a death row cell for those condemned to die. The Maximum Security cells, located in the back of the building, were equipped with stockades, a torture cage, and a clear view of the execution area. The solitary confinement cell had no bed at all. Every inmate was required to work. Men released out to local farms to work in the fields in a money making scheme to enrich the county and worked in terrible conditions. They were transported to the farms and cages, working in chain gangs, their ankles shackled together the entire time. As Kish described, they weren't working with the proper equipment and sometimes didn't even have shoes. The men would often return from the fields bleeding from wounds, inflicted by their manacles. It was more extreme than harsh. Saint Clair said. Those who were too infirmed to endure hard labor, even by the harshest standard, were permitted to work in the prison garden. Women were required to cook and clean for the male prisoners and for the sheriff's family. They were like prison maids. Kish said it was a dark, dirty place. On average, prisoners only stayed alive about two years in these conditions. The only time a doctor came was on hanging days. Kish said the death rate was so notorious and an unrecorded number of people have died here. Inmates would succumb to illness or malnutrition, be killed by violent means, or be executed for their crimes. You might guess that not all of them deserve that punishment, and you would be right. One man in particular was executed, although he was essentially proven innocent. Jim Kirby and Robert Lee were accused of murder, and both were convicted and hanged in nineteen oh one. Even though Kirby was adamant that Lee had nothing to do with the crime, he was not exonerated. According to an article from the Saint Augustine Record on the day of the hanging, Lee said, they are hanging an innocent man, as God is my judge, and knowing that I must face him innocent or guilty in a few minutes, I am innocent. In the same article, Kirby said, I have tried to save Lee but failed. But you can state that he knew nothing of the affair until it was over. A total of eight men were hanged for their crimes in the prison. Such huge crowds would gather for hangings that people would climb telephone poles to get a better view. The jail closed in nineteen fifty three after sixty two years of mistreating prisoners, throughout which it was given multiple citations for its conditions. Today, it's one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city and one of the most haunted places in America. Perimal investigators travel from thousands of miles away to take ghost tours of the jail and tried to communicate with spirits of the inmates. As Kish told the Saint Augustine Register staff and visitors have experienced paranormal activity in the jail. Various people have seen various things throughout the day. She said. People report being touched and grabbed to the point where a person will leave bruised. They also report smelling sewage smells or sickly sweet aromas, neither of which have been present for more than seventy years. A common paranormal sighting is the crawler, a shadow figure that crawls on the floor in the cell block. Visitors commonly report being touched by something cold or feeling as though something is tugging at their hair. Another frequent occurrence is hearing men in chains. According to Ghosts and Gravestones, one of the many complaints to those living close to the Old Jail is the frequent sounds of footsteps walking inside. Loud, plunky noises indicate that these footsteps belong to the disembodied souls of the criminals that once lived and died there. Guests touring the facility have also reported this phenomenon. People also report hearing phantom dogs barking. Maybe most haunting are the sounds of lingering suffering, as Ghosts and Gravestones says, there are many reports of whaling moaning sounds coming from the maximum security and solitary confinement areas, and some visitors have even reported hearing the voice of a little girl coming from the sheriff's quarters. Others have heard someone whistling at them, and several guests have reported hearing a dastardly laugh in one of the women's cells. Another spot that's reported to be particularly haunted, according to Old City Ghosts, is a solitary cell. Folks are challenged to stay in the cell and sit alone in the far left corner. Many have claimed to have seen in a shadowy figure lurk toward them, a sort of shade that scurries and tries to tear at them. Everyone who has taken the test has attested to the experience and the fuse that somehow left disappointed, later claimed to have uncovered scratch marks on their belly the very next day. While on that note, up next, we'll be talking with Stephen Mitchell. Stephen was the director and manager of the Old Saint Augustine Jail for many, many years, and you may recognize him from our episode of Kindred Spirits filmed there, as well as one of the first ever episodes of Ghost Hunters many moons ago. He has got some stories to tell and a lot of paranormal history to share, so that is coming up after the break. I am now joined by Stephen Mitchell. And you might be familiar with Stephen if you watched our episode at the Old City Jail of Kindred Spirits, and he was also the client for the episode of ghost Hunters that happened there so so long ago. So welcome Stephen, I am Now what was now? I know you've moved on to a different position within the same company and so you're not at the jail any longer, but you spent many many years there. What was your capacity at the jail.
Speaker 2: The time that a lot of this was happening. I was. I was running our daytime museum operations and overseeing our ghosts and gravestones operations at night, so I got all sorts of exposure to all of the varied energies that take place in their day and night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's something people always ask and like, you know, do hauntings only happen at night? Why do you investigate at night? And the jail's kind of a great example of that, just because you know, we we tend to investigate at night only because locations are a lot quieter, and especially like in a high traffic area like where the jail is there's less cars outside, there's clearly less people. Sometimes light anomalies are more apparent in the dark. But the jail is unique because people do have experiences day or night. And I kind of sometimes wonder if people might be having experiences when they're touring during the day and not even realize it.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll be honest, I think that. I think that a lot of people realize it, But a lot of people come to that that moment, that threshold of questioning themselves, you know, as my imagination getting away from me, did I really see that? Or am I crazy? And there The moment that really has always surprised me is when it's easier for somebody to convince themselves that they had a momentary lapse of sanity, that that it's easier to believe that, oh no, it's okay, I'm insane, I'm insane, that couldn't have actually had and and they they're able to shrug it off that way and walk away. It's easier for them to confront that than to think for a moment that something out of the ordinary, something paranormal, just interacted with them in the same space.
Speaker 1: Isn't that so funny? And then I be people on the opposite end of the spectrum who are probably having some something medical going on, but insists that it's paranormal.
Speaker 2: So the curtain move, The curtain moved, conditioning kicked. No, it's a ghost.
Speaker 1: Yes, Now, when did you know the jail was haunted? When did you just go, Okay, there is something going on here?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, what I have to say. I don't know that there's a singular difining moment. I know that I was already accepting of the idea at the time that I was working at the jail, and my first experience probably was more subtle. My first interaction with the energy was was probably something that that I shrugged off or or dismissed as a momentary. Uh. I don't know what that was, but but I'm not I'm not bothered by it. The first the first time that that I think something happened that I I couldn't explain through any other means. Was was the brief glimpse of a full on apparition a person that was there that shouldn't have been there, that that was suddenly not there in in a millisecond, and and just just that brief little moment in time. I I knew that I wasn't alone in.
Speaker 1: The building, right, And so yeah, when you see something like that and you're supposedly alone, uh, and you actually see it kind of manifest and then disappear like that obviously catches you off guard. But I know you've had some pretty major experiences, and especially that one experience you had on the staircase, which I think was kind of a one off happening. But can you describe what happened in that moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was definitely a pretty intense moment, coming up the staircase, heading up to the second floor and feeling feeling something stopped me, feeling a hand right pressed up against my chest, feeling it pushed me back, and realizing that I've got to move my feet because something's going to move me and if I if I don't back down, I and I got pushed right down those stairs. That was kind of one of those moments that I h I really had questioned why am I still here?
Speaker 1: I get why am I still working here? But it also doesn't sound like that was a regular cur You know, what were you feeling in that moment? Was there like a different vibe than usual, like, why do you think that happened? I know it was a very long time ago, but why do you think that happened on that day?
Speaker 2: I can't explain why that happened anymore that, but what I can say is the number of thoughts that went through my rational mind is as I tried to figure out what, how, why, and realizing this, yes, this is the first time and maybe the only time anything like that would ever happen in that building to a person. Not the first time it's happened. You know, I'd been in there with with a school group. Just see a cell door heavier than all of us put together, just suddenly move itself shut. I've been in there and I've seen the ball and chain just start swinging against the hook. I've been in there, I've seen things move. I'd seen things physically interacted with with something that couldn't be seen by the naked eye. And this time I was the door, I was the ball and chain, I was I was the thing that it interacted with.
Speaker 1: Well, thankfully that wasn't a regular occurrence. You know, that's one of those things where people ask me about physical like touching a lot, like you know, if something pushes you or shoves you or you know. Now, if that happens all the time, that's one thing what I do theorize that sometimes spirits don't necessarily know their own strength sometimes or you know, as we say, they kind of overshoot the basket, like they're trying to get your attention, and it results in something a little more physical than maybe they intended. And so that could go a couple of ways. They could go, oh, no, look what I just almost did and it never happens again. Or if you have, you know, something that's a little more malicious, it could be like, oh, look what I could do. You know. So it doesn't sound like it was the latter in your case, thankfully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so. I don't know. I don't know how many energies, how many independent energies, how many conscious energies or subconscious energies, whether they be ripple effects, whatever, I don't know. I've not gotten an opportunity to sit down with all of them and have rational conversations.
Speaker 1: That would make my job a lot easier if we could. No, So, now you're obviously not the only one having experiences there, and so I've talked to you about this before, but I always I always find it interesting that when you go to that jail, it is such a tourist attraction and it is like, I don't want to say cheesy, but it is kind of like one of those old school kind of roadside attractions. Like you go and there's you know, you guys are serving ice cream. You know. Our personal favorite is the giant upside down alligator. You can take a picture next to, you know, and and it's just got this really kind of you know, fun vibe. And then you go inside and you hear these horrific stories of what inmates endured and and and what they you know, the conditions that they were living in, and you know, you see how small the cells are, and you hear how many people are actually packed in there, and it's just such an interesting dichotomy of energy and and so do you think that that does something to the space in a way. Do you think that the building is kind of affected by that or do you think that like things change depending on what's happening, like the daytime activities versus the nighttime.
Speaker 2: I will say that I've got I've got my fair share of theories. M I think that I think that human empathy still plays a huge part in there. I think that I think that.
Speaker 3: The the energy that was that was released into that building, the the sorts of things that that seeped into the walls and.
Speaker 2: The floors, you know, that will never go away. I think that I think that they they can be revived and refreshed with that empathy when somebody like you walks into that space and and feels that and sees that. I think that that that does play an interactive role and in what still takes place in there. And I think that that happens when somebody like you sees the size of those cells, sees the nature of the beds in which they slept, and makes those realizations.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. And you know, it's uh. I do think that sometimes. I think sometimes energy and activity isn't necessarily a person per se or their consciousness, but it's almost just like the build up of maybe tragedy or turmoil that happened. And I think the perfect example of that is when you go into solitary confinement there. You know, when we took chip coffee there our psychic medium, you know, we didn't want him to see that he was walking into a jail. All he knew was he was in Florida and he was insane. Augustin he probably thought he was going to the lighthouse or something. But you know, the way that we work around that is we bring him to places blindfolded. And I think probably the most guilty I've ever felt was when we brought him there blindfolded and sat him right down into solitary and he had no idea where he was, and he just completely became overwhelmed with emotion, to the point that I was crying just looking at him, and I kept asking, like, do you want me to get you? Are you ready? And he wanted to keep feeling it and try to get more information, but it was so hard to watch. And so do other people, not just psychics, but do other people go into solitary and feel that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people who have never really been in tune with their own responses in that regard come to moments of understanding in that building And one of the most frequent areas where that happens is when they get too close to solitary confinement. You know, it's by the way, for anybody who has seen the show, I can tell you firsthand that yes, poor sweet love, wonderful chip and he's such a great guy. I watched you lead him. Uh. Well, I watched him get led across the property blindfolded. He had no idea where he was. I I watched this happen. Uh. And and yes, his response was real. Uh, it wasn't. It wasn't something that that I didn't see coming. And I I also felt that guilt. I felt I felt really really terrible for for the poor guy. And a lot of people have have that response in there. A lot of people will will feel a sense of heartbreak or or start crying for no reason, become overwhelmed, uh, in a way that sometimes manifests itself physically where they start to feel dizzy, lightheaded. Suddenly it's too much. I have to sit down. I I can't keep going. And it happens very frequently. Right around that cell.
Speaker 1: I could see that. And then you said, I think I remember you telling me a story once about solitary, like a group seeing something or experiencing something. What can what can people experience near a solitary?
Speaker 2: Thank you for asking me about that. That is one of my favorite stories. So I used to I used to have to hire these these people who would would come in and you know they're they're going to tell stories for a living. They're going to play cops and robbers for a living. And you pointed out by the way the tone, the atmosphere there at the property, it has to be set up in a way to where people can find what they're looking for and only what they're looking for. If you want to find the truth in the building, you will through the presentation. But if you're there with your family and you just want to, you know, play cops and robbers and take a few fun pictures, you can do that too. And and this poor sweet young guy just just started his new job at the old jail as a storyteller, dressed as a prisoner. He was having a great time with it. But he did not believe in the baron normal, did not believe in ghosts. He knows, of course, that we're making it all up, which is perfectly fine with them and the rest of us. Shruggert shoulders. This happens to so many of them for the first time when they have their first experience. But with him, he was in the middle of telling the story right next to solitary confinement. He's got this very eager, very interested group listening Joeman. He was very good at what he did. He's telling his story and they're taking pictures of everything. One woman in the group suddenly gasps, and then the person next to her looks at her camera and gasps too, and then everybody starts gathering around. Get away from that cell. Get away from that cell. They told him, you've got to come for and see this, and he came over and there she'd gotten a perfect picture of an arm reaching out from solitary confinement right towards his shoulder. Geez. He bolted and the group bolted right behind him. Uh, I got a call. He came downstairs, you know, tried tried to calm the group down. They were trying to calm the Troy guide down. He left, he went home again. Super nice gun. He was great at what he did. But you know, they have their first intrones are in that place, and for some of them it's just it's too much, it's too much to bangor too to have that much reality. But right in front of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had I mean, we've had a few experiences with crew members on various shows where the same kind of thing happens where they have their first kind of real experience. Like they come in thinking that everything we're doing, I I was just for TV. Oh, I'm sure they're faking it. Oh I'm sure, Yeah, sure, whatever, And then they have their first real experience and it becomes a whole other world to them. But I do think it makes you think though, beyond what we know, and I think I think it's a it's a big moment because it certainly makes you kind of look at your whole reality differently. You know, you start having thoughts of like your own mortality, the afterlife, like what is the paranormal? And so it just once you have that experience, there's really no turning back. Although I have seen people over time convince themselves, you know, something else happened or whatever, but because it becomes too much. But many times it just opens up a whole new realm of possibilities, and to a lot of people, those possibilities are terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of my favorite moments with the team there and this this this would be a lot of people's first encounter with an energy that was something that they couldn't explain right away, would be at the end of the day, be sitting at the bottom of the stairs, listening very carefully, waiting for the last tourists to walk out of the building, because the upstairs portion we let them explore on their own. And then they leave and we hear the door open and close, last tour of the day, you know, the last few people take their time with their pictures. What will sometimes happen is we'll be sitting there waiting, you know, for for a half hour or longer, just hearing the conversation, thinking what could be taking them so long? Why why are they spending so much time upstairs? The tour itself wasn't this long. And then finally somebody gets brave and goes up the stairs quietly and looks around. Here the conversation. We can still hear it, except there's nobody up there, and and that moment, at that moment, you usually see the guide come running right back down the stairs. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that is always so disconcerting when you hear like full movement things happening, and you're just you assume someone is there, and when there isn't, it's just your whole body kind of just turns cold. You're like what did I just experience? Now another thing that I know is seeing frequently in the jail, and I have a theory on these, but maybe you can describe how what people experience when they see this thing. Now, I understand you guys have a crawler, So what is the crawler?
Speaker 2: So so what it? What it is? What what people experience? What they what they see or interact with. Is something so pitch black that when all the lights are out, when there's nothing but night, when you can't even see your own hand in front of your face, you can still see this darkness because it is so black that it seems it's it's like it's absorbing any light that that that could possibly illuminate it and turning it into into something darker than the shadows. It's ah, it almost looks human. It allmost like almost like it it's midmaking though it it it. It moves across the floor, it moves up the wall, it moves across the bars on the cell block in a way that's not natural. But when people encounter it for the first time, of course, it's wildly unnerving. They're absolutely terrified. It's it's something that's coming for me. I've seen this in movies, Oh my god. Except I don't think it's conscious. I think that it's I think it's the remnants of the human experience in there.
Speaker 1: So I have a theory on the crawlers, and I agree with you. I see them, and we tend to see them in more like institutional type places where there was a lot of misery for lack of a better word, you know, off the top of my head, like obviously the one that is at the jail, which I saw when we were there. Waverley Hills has reported one before trans Alleghany Lunatic Asylum has reported one. I saw one at the Oddfellows Complex or Belvoir Winery and Liberty, Missouri. So it's always these places that were institutional in some way and just had a lot of emotional turmoil. And so I do agree it's some weird manifestation of that. And I almost think paranormal investigations are interest in the paranormal kind of leads it a little bit, as that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely think so that goes along with my theory about the the human empathy interacting with the energies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think when you go looking for it. If it's if it's there, you're already kind of stirring.
Speaker 1: The pot, right right, And so I do, like I feel like the jail definitely shifted. They do do investigations there now, Like I know, whenever we do strange escapes in Saint Augustine, we always have like a little add on investigation that people can do at the jail. And it seems like they're approaching the investigations with a lot of empathy and sympathy, which I think is great, Like they you know, focus on like, hey, we're hearing your stories. We know you know, we are not passing judgment on you because you are in jail. And it seems like it gets a lot of responses. So do you think that the energy has kind of changed over the years when it became kind of more of a situation where you were kind of shedding light on the situation as opposed to maybe like when it first opened, it might have seemed more of like a kind of a morbid fascination if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Well, when it first opened, it was it was it was not about the these are the atrocities of our past. Because it opened only a year after it closed as a jail right as one of Florida's roadside attractions. You know, the stories that we tell now are really to pay homage to, you know, the the pard in history that this building played. I do know that the energy has changed in there. I don't know. I don't know how much it's changed, and I don't know the why, because I also don't know how much of the energy in there is conscious. I don't know how many of the energies in there were actually people that maybe you know they were. They were judged so harshly in life, perhaps for even things they didn't do, you know, to to move on from here to their final judgment might be more than they can bear, and to to consider the mentality of the time. So I'm not sure how the energy has changed or why. I know that I know that it has changed a lot, uh, and I believe that the empathy and the reasons for probing have something to do with that. And I'm not really sure how much of the energy in there is conscious.
Speaker 1: Right now, that brings up an interesting point, and that's kind of your role at the jail now. You were there for a number of years. I almost felt like you had kind of a a a really great relationship with the building. Like I know during during our kind of reveal at the end of Kindred, there we play some EVPs for you and you got visibly emotional, like there were tears in your eyes when you heard those voices, and so I know you were attached to that building. How does it feel to not be there now?
Speaker 2: And then?
Speaker 1: Do you think that they miss you?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they missed me at all. I mean that's sweet, but I think you never know I got true true. I think I was. I think I was definitely more invested in their stories though than they were in mind. And so uh uh so so yeah, the I'll say this about about the investigation that that you and the crew did. You and Adam you. I I've worked with several paranormal groups. I've worked with a few of the TV shows that have come in there, I've worked with, uh. I've worked with most of them actually, uh during my tenure. But when you, when you came in, you you approached it from from a sense of sincerity that I had not yet seen. Uh. In fact, I did not yet experienced a group come in and be as honest and forthright about the investigation. If if you'd come in and done the investigation and found nothing, uh, it would have been a very boring episode. But you wouldn't have fabricated anything. You no, no, and I and and that amount of honesty was was something that I was unfamiliar with with paranormal groups, especially from the from the were we're producing something for commercial consumption. I appreciated that. I valued that, and and as a result, I think you came up with more than anybody else had before the uh, the sincerity at which you approached the stories and and and uncovered voices that that had previously been quiet. You know that that I had done a lot of research for to to try to find. Yeah, yeah, that that that warranted an honest response from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well we pride ourselves on that. So I'm thankful that you saw that because I am you know that's we working in paranormal television is Uh, it's hard to maintain your integrity with with such a with such a profession, But like Adam and I have been determined since day one to always be on the level and really like give it our all. And because we know other investigators out there want to see that, I want to do that, and so so thank you. I I really appreciate that. That means a lot. So so on that note, if people do want to visit the jail and experience these things for themselves, like what do they have to do.
Speaker 2: Well, they have to show up pretty much. The old Saint John's County Jail is now a living history museum in Saint Augustine, Florida. You can go to trolley Tours dot com to find out more about that and the the paranormal investigation as well as well as all of the other things that we do in seven cities, uh seven historic locations throughout the United States. But but we're invested in telling the stories. And if you want to find out more about that and and come and see it for yourself, then then either show up uh and and and you'll be welcomed and arrested properly, or or go check us out online and see about planning your next trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, everyone I've met there has been wonderful. I love all of your your tour guides and employees. They're fully vested, they do great work and we always have a blast on we go there. Charlotte still brings it up today that you gave her a private tour, and she was so thrilled. So I loove that so well. Thank you so much, Steve, when I super appreciate you taking the time. And hopefully I'll be down there again very soon.
Speaker 2: Always a pleasure, Amy, and please look.
Speaker 1: Me up, I will for sure. I The Old City Jail is such a striking haunt to me. Every time I visit. I am astounded at the sound of children laughing as they bound by me, ice cream cones in hand. The building itself looms amid all the vacationers and tourists. A cob artifacts inside, including an extensive shive collection. While I'm sure the more lively energy is welcome in a place that once harbored so much death and despair, I can't help but wonder about how much of that imprint is left. Because when the laughing children have departed and the doors closed for the evening, just as the sun is beginning to set, the Old City Jail becomes an entirely different place. I'm Amy Bruney, and this was Haunted Road. Haunted Road is hosted and written by me Amy Bruney, with additional research by Taylor Haggerdorn and Cassandra de Alba. This show is edited and produced by rema El Kali, with supervising producer Josh Thain and executive producers Aaron Manke, Alex Williams, and Matt Frederick. Haunted Road is a production of iHeartRadio and Grim and Mild from Aaron Manke. Learn more about this show over at Grimanmild dot com, and for more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.