Speaker 1: It's podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Giannis Poutellis, Ryan Callahan, Alyssa Smith, Hunter, Spencer, Christine Siwiki, Randa Williams, and Seth Morris. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat eaters for verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking. And there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. And for the stat of the week this week, we're looking at the number zero. That's how many days there are until Meat Eater Trivia, the board game comes out. That's right. What's on It's on sale, right, that's awesome. Thank you Yanni and Phil good artist, Thank you Christine. You can get your copy at store dot the meat eater dot com backslash Trivia. It went on sale this week for twenty five dollars and I've been told by our salespeople that we are not getting any more copies before the end of the year. So if you want this as a Christmas present, or if you were going to wait until Black Friday. This is your warning. Once they're gone, they're gone, and we're not getting any more copies in stock until twenty twenty four, So please head over to store dot the medeater dot com backslash Trivia to get your copy of the only board game where conservation always wins.
Speaker 3: I truly think it's going to be a great Christmas gift. I hope so people are gonna love it. Why is that, Seth, Well, it's just you can. It's something you could do with the whole family. You know, twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: It's easy to wrap, easy to rapize.
Speaker 4: Wrap, it comes into a great price.
Speaker 2: Could fit in a big stocking.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeap.
Speaker 1: You could probably just do one of those gift bags. That's how I like to do all my presents. There you got no tape involved. You just put it in some big mouse on top of it. Yeah, there you go, and then just how lovely.
Speaker 2: Great price, Seth, You're right you I see these lists that are like best gifts for men under twenty five dollars, best gifts for hunters. So we made it twenty five dollars so we can make it on all those lists perfect. I'm kidding.
Speaker 6: I've no doubt but you will.
Speaker 2: Now here's our zero percenter question of the week, which I pulled from the board game You're honest. Please read question for twenty for me and after you, after you asked to have a channel, ask the question. Flip it over to read the answer question for twenty.
Speaker 5: I need my Hey, if you're older, you might want to get yourself a set of readers for these cars.
Speaker 2: Do we need to hand it off to Randel or a list?
Speaker 5: It is not a huge font what citr soda from Coca Cola wrapped their cans in camouflage as part of a hunting season promotion in twenty.
Speaker 6: Fifteen, Mountain dew. That's a pepsi oh, I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna go out and do as well.
Speaker 2: Melo yellow is right? Alyssa go wo? I did?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, take a point.
Speaker 2: Away from Melissa, give it to Christine now, Yanni, flip over and read the answer and tell me what you see below the.
Speaker 5: Answer, uh mello yellow. Below that is a orange line, which below that it says episode three eighty eight.
Speaker 2: And to the that's right, it says zero percent. For every question that was used in the show, We included information on the back of the card that tells you who sent the question, what episode it was on, and what percent of players got it right. This will give you and your friends a chance to compare how well you did versus how well Steve Giannis Call and the rest of the met Eater crew did. So any question in the board game that was on the show is going to have that information. Sometimes it's fifty seven five percent. We have a few one hundred percenters in there, and you'll know every zero percenter that comes up.
Speaker 4: You should have an argument rating in there too, a.
Speaker 1: Huge argument should I should the fire emoji? A spice level Buffalo wild wings and you're getting the spicy tie or the hot barbecue or whatever the flavor of the day.
Speaker 2: There's no percentage that means that the question did not come from an episode. That's a fresh question that's only available in the board game.
Speaker 1: That's a great question.
Speaker 7: I've seen every one of these questions and answers, and I'm sad that I couldn't remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hunter Hunter had to upload as all eight hundred questions for the board game. He already the answers.
Speaker 5: I'm going to take a set to Latvian Wisconsin deer camp.
Speaker 2: What do you guys normally play there?
Speaker 5: We play a game called which is similar to a game called sheeps Head, which not very popular.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard of either one of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'd have to be Latvian, I think to hear of Zola. But it's a trump trump, it's a taking game with trumps.
Speaker 2: Now you're going to have that plus media to trivia, there'll be fun. For the housekeeping portion of today's show. We're looking at the board game rules. Now, the board game directions will be familiar if you're a listener, but I also included house rules in there so that you can add your own twist to each game. Randa, will you explain to listeners what house rules are? Do you have any?
Speaker 1: Do you know you didn't prepare me for this.
Speaker 2: I knew that you would know.
Speaker 1: House rules are when you make up your own version of the game. And so if someone's at your house and they say, oh, that should count for a point, you say, actually my rules here, that counts for nothing.
Speaker 6: I win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you like if you have red hair, right, yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you answer the question correctly and you have red hair, then the automatically there's a multiplier.
Speaker 2: Sure, do you know any house rules specifically that that you've used, Phil, I feel like.
Speaker 4: Maybe you'd have some house I don't play any games no dogs in the podcast studio.
Speaker 6: I think that's fine.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, okay, that's like a real house rule, not in the context of a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the most famous example I could think of is in Monopoly. There's not a real rule about landing on free parking and then collecting the money in the middle. That's just like a very common house rule. Really, that's not a real rule. That's just an example of a house rules. Some of the things, what do.
Speaker 1: You get the house rules? The house rules I'm most familiar with, or when we're playing games that I don't know the rules too, and Sydney explains to me what's happening on the game. She does something, it takes away my piece is you know, all that kind of stuff. But yeah, I don't really know any like clue.
Speaker 2: I've heard of versions where you have to leave the room after you've entered it each time, so you can't just like hang around in there. I think that's a house rule. If you've ever played Cards against Humanity, are you familiar with that game, how like everyone turns in a card. House rule I've heard of is you pull a random card from the deck and also put it in there, and that's the ghost, and sometimes the ghost will do better than the rest of the players. Those are examples of house rules. Anyway. The directions for Meat Eater Trivia includes seven options for house rules. I won't explain them all, but they're called solo game, phone of friend, cheat, safety, answer, knockout, wager, one tie, all tie, and loser pays. Today we're actually going to play with one of those house rules, and I've selected wager for this game. Here's what that means. Players will write down a number next to their answer that's between zero and three. The number will either be added or subtracted from their score based on if they get the question right or wrong. Really confident in an answer, bet three points, don't have a shot, wager nothing at all, and yes, your score can go into negatives.
Speaker 1: Phil, you agreed to this.
Speaker 2: Well, anyway, you're going to keep your own scores.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try to also keep.
Speaker 2: This will also be on YouTube, so if you cheat, we'll find out about and then we'll shame you later. So keep a good, honest score on your whiteboard. Here's the other twist. On question ten, our players will then make a wager using their cumulative score. Whoever has the most points after the final question will declared the winner. Does everyone understand what we're gonna do.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like sitting down with a couple of cocktails with the family and you're like, yeah, we're gonna play a game, and then halfway through the rules, I'm like, God, I wish I wasn't playing a game.
Speaker 2: Here's what you need to understand. Cal right down zero or three based on how confident you are, and then you win.
Speaker 4: Okay, cool, Okay, that's a way better way of excer every question.
Speaker 2: For every question, the first nine, you'll bet between zero and three. The tenth question, you can bet if you have fifteen points at that point, you can bet all fifteen. You can bet zero.
Speaker 1: Whatever has the Shelby index at twenty one.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think it's a way I have a Shelby index, but it's not based on that because I think you guys will adjust your wagers based on how close you are to someone else, if you need to catch up, if you need to play it safe. However that goes, so I could see us ending up where the winner has now beta testing. It is beta testing. This is the fun thing about house rules. You can do whatever you want. So this is what we're trying today. This is going to be the house rule for this day in the media podcast Studio.
Speaker 3: I'm glad we're doing this on an episode where Steve is not present. I don't think a three hour episode.
Speaker 2: Now here's another note about the game. The board game is eight hundred questions that are a combination of questions from the show and questions that are brand new. When I had to turn these into our fact checker, I actually gave her eight hundred and fifty questions, assuming that some of them wouldn't pass her inspection. That's what happened. She threw out forty questions, leaving me with ten extra questions. Today, I'm using those ten questions for this episode. These are ten questions that were made for the board game but didn't make it into the board games. This is like the B Squad kind of and that's where you're going to hear today instead of just ten that I came up out of nowhere. These questions for some.
Speaker 1: Of these will want to have like a wrong answer.
Speaker 2: Well, then so they passed. They passed the fact checking, They passed that part of it. But they were the ten questions out of eight hundred that I cut from the board game. So you know, there's no loose for me here. If you're like, hey, this is a stupid question, I'd be like, yeah, and that's why I'm in the board game. So you love it, feel free to argue. It'll be just fine.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: The Shelby Index fort today's round is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand.
Speaker 4: There are so many numbers in the lead up to this.
Speaker 1: I really should eat I should have eaten something before this.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 2: You don't get those points, you don't lose them, damn. So you got it. Place your weight.
Speaker 5: You have to wager at least one.
Speaker 2: No, you could wag your zero. If you know you're not going to get it right, you want to play it safe, you could wage zero. Again, these are house rules. So if we find that this is really dumb, Yannie, then people at home be like, no, you have to bet between one and three or one in five, whatever it is today, we're going zero to three is the scale. Question one, the topic is outdoors and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these social media accounts has the most Instagram followers? Is it Smokey Bear, Bass Pro Shops, Cam Haynes or National Park Service? Which of these social media accounts has the most Instagram followers Smokey Bear, Bass Pro Shops, Cam Haynes, National Park Service? And remember, you need to wager between zero and three. If you were to wager three and get that wrong, then you're at negative three. If we get to question ten and your scores and the negatives will treat it like Jeopardy and you are eliminated from Final Jeopardy or question ten, So tread lightly. Here's the question again, Which of these social media accounts has the most Instagram followers? Smokey Bear, Bass Pro Shops, Cam Haynes, National Park Service. And I hope our listeners are also coming up with their and coming up with the number in their head for what their wager would be. To see how you stack up against the room. Does everybody have an answer changing? Are you changing your wager? Changing your answer?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna okay.
Speaker 2: I would assume nobody is going zero right off the bat, but we will see. Is everybody ready, Christine, are we deciding on wager answer answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Set wagering one and saying Cam Haynes, cal wagering one and saying National Park Service, Hunter wagering three and saying National Park Service, Christine wagering one and saying National Park Service, Alyssa wagering one, saying Bass Pro Shops, Giannis saying Cam Haynes wagering three, Randall wagering two and saying National Park Service. The correct answer is the National Park Service. About half of our players, So I get one, You have minus one.
Speaker 4: If you nice to get a scoreboard up the nicely play.
Speaker 8: This is actually I can I can do this, but you okay, Phil, Phil can do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'd say keep your own score anyway, but we'll also crosscheck with what Phil has to say. The National Park Service has five point three million followers on Instagram. That's followed by Cam Haynes at one point five million, Fast Pro Shops at one point three million, and Smokey Bear at seventy nine thousand. Smokey's bio is quote remember hashtag only you can prevent wildfires.
Speaker 4: I like Cam always been a good dude to b s with, but it makes me feel a lot better about people in general that the National Park Service has more followers four times is many followers as Cam.
Speaker 2: Question two. The topic is cooking. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Steve Sargent for sending this great question. Steve is going to get a board game signed by the Meat Eater crew. If you want a chance to win our listener question of the week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. The topic is cooking. Merriam Webster defines this French word as quote small particles of brown food that adhere to the bottom of a cooking pan and are used especially in making sauces. Again, the topic is cooking. Going to remind our players to put a wager next to their score.
Speaker 4: Here is your prompt.
Speaker 2: Merriam Webster defines this French word as quote small particles of brown food that adhere to the bottom of a cooking pan and are used especially in making sauces.
Speaker 6: This is Joanni.
Speaker 5: Those three long hot years of the Tuscaniny kitchen come in handy.
Speaker 2: Okay, that that gave you this answer? You think Johnny knows this? The rest of our room kind of confident? Randall, do you have it right?
Speaker 1: I don't have an answer yet. No, Okay, I can think of an English word that I used to describe this cal.
Speaker 2: You look like you maybe have it right. Are you confident in your answer?
Speaker 4: I haven't even changed my wager.
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 6: I think I might.
Speaker 4: I might just roll with a one wager the whole way through.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's creative. Christine Alyssa, do you guys have this one right? Here's a question one more time? Miriam Webster defines this French word is quote small particles of brown food that adhere to the bottom of a cooking pan and are used especially in making sauces. Does everybody have an answer and a wager? Hunter, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying fun, wagering one, Cal saying glaze, wagering one. Hunter sang Roue wagering one. Christine without an answer wagering zero. She went the safe way out. Alissa saying roue wagering one, Giannis saying fun, wagering three randall without an answer. In wagering zero, the correct answer is fawn and that is spelled f O n D.
Speaker 3: What do you got if I if I'm a minus one and I wagered one, I'm at a zero?
Speaker 2: Yet a zero? That's right.
Speaker 1: Your way back to zero?
Speaker 2: What happened there?
Speaker 6: Set?
Speaker 2: You were only a little confident. Actually, you were more confident that you got that wrong than you were that you got that right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I was. I wasn't comming, okay.
Speaker 2: But you got it right. Danielle Pruet talked about fawn in her article called how to make the Perfect Steak Sauce. She lays out six steps for this process, and fawn is crucial in steps one through three. Step one is the searing of your steak, Step two is adding flavor to the pan, and step three is deglazing with liquid. To get the full recipe, go read her article on the meadeater dot com. Yanni, how did you guys pronounce that word at your tusken?
Speaker 5: Certainly with a D.
Speaker 2: I saw it all over the website. Some people pronounce it like full uh. Some people said.
Speaker 4: Fond how why is it not defonding a pam mmm.
Speaker 2: Talk to Merriam Webster. Count don't have an answer.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, Yeah, because I defonded.
Speaker 2: Maybe the glazes liquid maybe, and you're getting the fond off the bottom, which Danielle in her article said that Steve likes to call cracklings.
Speaker 1: I was going to call it drippings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, brown bits.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think of glaze glad. I didn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Randall is satisfied he didn't think of Cal's wrong answer.
Speaker 1: Question three, I might wager two on that.
Speaker 2: Topic is fishing Niagara falls empties into which great lake? The topic is fishing Niagara falls empties into which great lake?
Speaker 4: I know you're keeping your your own score, Randall?
Speaker 8: That did you how much did you wager on that?
Speaker 6: Zero? Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks? Zero?
Speaker 1: Zero wager?
Speaker 2: What a coward?
Speaker 1: Ah, I think I played that quite well. Very pleased.
Speaker 2: Niagara falls empties into which great lake? The room is not very confident at all. I would be surprised if we see any threes wagered here. I forgot, Randall. I'll remind you.
Speaker 6: The question.
Speaker 2: Oh really, okay, Niagara falls empties into which great lake? Seth, Do you have this one? Right?
Speaker 6: Man? I should?
Speaker 2: Okay, I should.
Speaker 3: It's not too far from I'm changing things my neck of the woods where I grew up.
Speaker 2: You don't need to go into specifics, but how many great lakes have you fished?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: If you had, how many would you I'm fished any really, I'm up on a couple of them.
Speaker 1: I fished seven of eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, group fall's empties into which great lake? The room is quite wishy washy on this one. Even those who have come up with an answer don't seem confident.
Speaker 9: Feel good about it, Yannie, not great because I can't remember the last great lake, the eighth one, and.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure that that could be the answer.
Speaker 2: But are you gonna stick with wagering three? Oh yeah, okay, you don't have to tell me what you're gonna wager. That could inform what randall my wager? For example? Does everybody have an answer and a wager?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 8: Wait, wait, oh god?
Speaker 2: Do you just remember there's a night.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm just I'm all screwed up in my head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, run out of time?
Speaker 1: All right, I got it.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth Wagering one saying here on cal Wagering one saying Erie, Hunter Wagering two saying Ontario, Christine Wagering two saying Ontario. Alyssa Wagering one saying superior, Jannis what saying Erie and Wagering three, Randall Wagering three saying Ontario.
Speaker 1: You're smiling as you say that. I think I got it wrong.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Lake Ontario. Room did okay?
Speaker 1: You're like you're grinning as you read my answer and made me think that I'm.
Speaker 2: Surprised to see you go a three. I think we had Christine, Randall and Hunter. I'll get that right. Niagara Falls is located on the thirty miles of Niagara River that separates Lake Erie from Lake Ontario. It's supply is Lake Ontario, with about eighty percent of its water. The river is known for its great salmon, steelhead and walleye fishing, as well as some opportunities for smallmouth bass, muskie, perch, lake trout, and brown trout.
Speaker 6: I matchine.
Speaker 3: If someone won this trivia with a score of minus one, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what we will do that. I think I win that shit. You're all in the negatives, and nobody gets to play final jaf.
Speaker 1: If you just hadn't answered any of these, you should have gone to the from five minutes ago.
Speaker 6: I should have got it off the water and just call it quit.
Speaker 2: Question four, the topic is mountain men. This next great question comes to us via Matt Rogers. Which state college has a mountaineer mascot who wears buckskins and coonskins and carries a Kentucky long rifle. Randall didn't even need the entire question.
Speaker 1: No, I just read faster than you read aloud.
Speaker 2: Which state college has a mountaineer mascot who wears buckskins and coonskins and carries a Kentucky long rifle? Randall has this one right, He's quite sure of it, and I'm guessing he's wagered all three points.
Speaker 9: Read that one more time.
Speaker 2: Which state college has a mountaineer mascot who wears buckskins and coonskins and carries a Kentucky long rifle.
Speaker 4: I worked with this dude named Matt Goo jillion years ago on the Long and Lonesome Road, And that dude was from this town and was a like a pizza delivery driver prior to working working with us, And uh, he could pick up any instrument while we were on the road and like make unbelievable music. Okay, crazy, So you have this one apple Achier roots.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a little hint for our players.
Speaker 4: Is it son of a gun?
Speaker 2: I saw some board. Alyssa has changed the trajectory of her market.
Speaker 1: That was pretty bad.
Speaker 4: Cal, that was pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Uh huh oh?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Are you going to change your own answer now? Con you are?
Speaker 1: We're looking for the state.
Speaker 2: You need to tell me the state, to be clear.
Speaker 1: Not the institution.
Speaker 2: Which state college has a mountaineer mascot who wears buckskins and coonskins and carries a Kentucky long rifle. Does everybody have an answer? The state? Tell me the state?
Speaker 6: No, you're done. I thought I thought you're looking for you know what we.
Speaker 4: Need to get?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth wagering one saying Tennessee, Cal wagering three saying West Virginia. Hunter same thing, wagering three saying West Virginia, Christine wagering zero saying Tennessee, Alyssa wagering three saying North Carolina, Yannis wagering one saying Virginia, Randall Wagering three saying West Virginia. The correct answer is West Virginia.
Speaker 5: But Sef's not.
Speaker 7: I was kind of in his you said Tennessee, right, Yeah, because that's where my wife went to school. So yeah, the volunteer, he's got a Kentucky long rifle, the coonskin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's got a mountaineer, right, and I don't know that he wears buckskins.
Speaker 4: Well, what else do you have to say?
Speaker 6: Hunter?
Speaker 2: The West Virginia Mountaineers have had this mascot since nineteen twenty seven. The buckskins are in the style of the eighteen thirties and the Kentucky long rifle is in the style of the seventeen hundreds. The mascot is always a student who's chosen annually. Typically it's a bearded man, but in the ninety year history, there have been three women that were chosen as the official West Virginia Mountaineer. Question five, the topic is wildlife. What animal represented the Progressive political Party that was formed in nineteen twelve. This is question five. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. The topic is wildlife for species? Yes or do you want like the actual man, tell me, tell me the animal. If you think the animal is a animal, a bullhead, catfish, you'd say a bullhead. Here is the question again, what animal represented the Progressive Political Party that was formed in nineteen twelve? We have a confident randall pretty confidented? Need a wager? Need your wager?
Speaker 4: I'm double down.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So at the end, like question ten, we can wager.
Speaker 2: If you have fifty that's right, you can wager fifteen point differing though from final Jeopardy you can write down your answer before you come up with your wager. We're not going to make you wager based on the topic alone. Still be some strategy involved.
Speaker 4: You have very different and if you're in the negatives you have minus one.
Speaker 2: You just don't you just won't participate, just lose. You're out, You get third place in jeopardy, you go home with one thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Are those hides free for the taking if you need one to make something?
Speaker 6: I don't think so, But you got Steve.
Speaker 1: I would have sold them already if that were okay?
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer for what animal representative aggressive political Party that was formed in nineteen twelve? Hunter, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have set Wagering two and saying elephant, Cal Wagering three saying bull moose, Hunter Wagering zero saying beaver, Christine Wagering zero saying moose, Alyssa Wagering zero saying donkey, You're honest, Wagering three saying moose, Randall Wagering three saying moose. The correct answer is a bull moose. If you just said moose, that's good enough. The Progressive Party's unofficial name was the Bull Moose Party. The party's nickname was derived from the characteristics of strength and vigor, which are words that founder Teddy Roosevelt used to describe himself. The party was formed in an attempt to solve social and environmental problems brought on by rapid urbanization and industrialization. Despite some calling it one of the most successful third parties in American history, it only lasted eight years.
Speaker 6: Was this place?
Speaker 4: Oh no, it was not place.
Speaker 2: To cover up my sticker. It's a place so the YouTube audience will see that and then want to go buy it. Well, yeah, oh yeah. The sticker came from Seth's wife's studio. Does she still sell those? Yeah, it's my favorite sticker I have. That's why it's uh in the center of my laptop. Teddy Roosevelt.
Speaker 6: Fell.
Speaker 2: We are halfway through the game of trivia. I'm excited to hear what our scores are. I think there is a wide range. What do you got?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is right on I got. I got distracted by a button during question too, so let me know if I'm wrong. But we've got Alyssa in last place with negative six, uh, Seth after that with negative four, Yannis with negative one. But then we're getting to the positives here. We got Christine with three, Cow with five, Hunter with seven, and Randall in first place with eleven points.
Speaker 2: We have a disagreement.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's the disagreement?
Speaker 7: It was zero on the second question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Spencer misread it. What Spencer had I noticed that what Hunter had wagered.
Speaker 2: That's my fault zero.
Speaker 4: Okay, So how many points do you have?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 4: Hey, the year the bull moose formed, That's when tr did his campaign speech, got shot and continue to finished the speech.
Speaker 2: Said it takes a lot more than that to kill a bull moose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Question six, the topic is cooking.
Speaker 5: Grappy Amore.
Speaker 4: I think it was like a little pocket, you know, something like point.
Speaker 6: Sometimes it does only take one.
Speaker 2: And I think they said that he had a book in his pocket that probably saved.
Speaker 1: He had a copy of his UH speech.
Speaker 2: I was it was such a long speech that was folded over like four times. Maybe if he only folded it twice, he wouldn't have made it. Question six, the topic is cooking. This fast food chain, which was founded in Wisconsin, adds Walleye to its menu during lenten season. The room is stumped. This fast food chain, which was founded in Wisconsin, adds Walleye to its menu during lenten season.
Speaker 6: Well, I know one Midwest fast food chain.
Speaker 2: You think that's the one? Can you recall while lie being on there?
Speaker 4: Not at all? But I do recall that it was a favorite somebody in the room.
Speaker 2: Okay, with somebody in the room. Okay. This fast which was founded in Wisconsin, adds Walleye to its menu during lenten season.
Speaker 4: The room, I can't think of a Had that guy died, we never would have got uh the river uh no return.
Speaker 2: Teddy Roosevelt. I wrote about him getting shot in his speech saving his life on the med Eater Dot com The story is called Teddy Roosevelt's Fight Club. It talks about that little bit of history.
Speaker 6: Nice.
Speaker 2: The room is not confident And this question is question six. Topic is cooking. This fast food chain, which was founded in Wisconsin, adds Walleye to its menu during Lenton season. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 4: Only time we went out to Dougs, we went to a fast food place that specialized in hot dogs. I think about that place. Tell me more absolutely fantastic. What'd you have some big ol' hot dog covered lots of stuff that was great? Or twice everybody having here the farm?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? And a wager? Oh shit, oh oh Cal, we're waiting on you. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth wagering zero saying ARB's Cal wagering three saying culvers, Hunter wagering two saying long John Silver, Christine wagering one saying culvers, Alyssa wagering zero saying long John Silvers, be Honest wagering three saying culvers, Randall wagering zero saying long John Silvers. The correct answer is culvers. A few folks got it right, Cal, Who's face favorite places that in the room.
Speaker 4: When you million years ago and you were working in Illinois, you said you went to Culver's damn near every single day and got uh cheese curds. I think I don't think I might go on your way home.
Speaker 2: I didn't have one on my way home. We did have a Calvers in Illinois that's good to be called by UCLID.
Speaker 1: It was the first one that came to mind, but I couldn't decide.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you that our host spencer was a little heftier them. It looks great now, Oh thank you, Yes, sir. It was recently talking about eating some culvers.
Speaker 2: And you got that one right, Yanni's have you had culvers before? I have served walleye. The first Calvers opened in Wisconsin in nineteen eighty four, and today there are one thousand locations in twenty six states. They've been serving walleye since twenty ten, and they source the fish from lakes in Manitoba. They deep fry the walleye and serve it as a dinner plate or sandwich. One food critic in twenty twenty two gave it a two out of five stars for aesthetics, but four point five stars for taste, whiley at calvers question.
Speaker 4: Seven totally meaningless unless we know who the food critic is, right.
Speaker 2: The only one who's brave enough to review fast food while I Question seven, the topic is woodsmanship. This next great question comes to is via Christy Holmes. What two animals are crossed to create a hinnie? Kinnie is spelled hi n N why? Question seven topic is woodsmanship? What two animals are crossed to create a hinnie? H I n N why? Yanni is the only one to come up with an answer so far. Yanni, do you think you know this one?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: But I've got a good guess.
Speaker 2: What two animals are crossed to create a hinni? Seth has all but given up.
Speaker 6: He has a.
Speaker 2: Negative four on his board, has yet to pick up his white boards. Sucks, Spencer, Well, how would you be doing if we weren't wagering points? Seth?
Speaker 6: Just a zero zero?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: What two animals are crossed to create a hinny? So you should have two answers on your board plus your wager. It's between zero and three? Randal, do you have any guess?
Speaker 6: Randal looks like a deer in the headlights.
Speaker 5: Randall wager three?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's see. The thing is, well, I wagered zero on the last one. I'm gonna wager zero again on this one, and it kind of takes the fun out of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it should have been mandatory, but one, two or three on the wager.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to figure out why this is woodsmanship?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready.
Speaker 5: No answer?
Speaker 6: Seth?
Speaker 5: You're not going to even try.
Speaker 2: Can't just come up with two animals?
Speaker 3: The thing is, I saw I know where this gal is from, which makes me think it's.
Speaker 4: That's entirely what my answer is based off from that area.
Speaker 6: But I can't even think of something from that area.
Speaker 1: Would you read the question with the introduction that states where the submission the.
Speaker 2: Topic is woodsmanship? This next great question comes to is via Christy Holmes, what two animals are crossed to create a Hinnie? I did not reveal where she's from. But Seth knows this person, which is here's He's given him enough insight to not even come up with an answer woodsmanship.
Speaker 4: But this name Hinny just reeks of domestic animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody, does everybody have an answer? No? Christine quietly playing a great game over there, one of our only players in the positive she's made smart wagers had some correct answers. What are you wage during this time? Christine one?
Speaker 5: How many points you got?
Speaker 6: Christine four?
Speaker 7: About to be five?
Speaker 4: I'm not that company.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready?
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: Where the inspiration?
Speaker 2: Right? Right?
Speaker 6: Right right? Randall?
Speaker 4: Did they?
Speaker 2: Randall said, he's betting zero, but now he's all of a sudden, uh, he's.
Speaker 4: Drawing him out?
Speaker 1: Are there alternates? Are they going to do zero?
Speaker 4: Why does it matter what? You're right?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to have fun.
Speaker 2: Are you look like you're having a lot of spellings?
Speaker 1: Is this is this a standard spelling? Are their alternate spellings.
Speaker 2: Safe to say? The room is stumped? So everybody ready. Everyone has two animals plus a wager. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying a partridge in a guinea He wagered zero. Cow wagering one saying a hare and a cottontail Hunter wager saying a chicken and a guinea fowl. Christine wagering one, saying a mule and a horse. Alissa wagering zero, saying a horse and a moose Yiannis wagering three saying turkey and chicken. Randall wagering zero, saying a goat and a man, how to.
Speaker 4: Do it in the main Woods.
Speaker 2: Nobody got it. A few of you had half of the correct answer. The correct answer is a horse and a donkey, a.
Speaker 4: Mule, jenny.
Speaker 2: A mule is created by crossing a male donkey and a female horse. A hinny is created by crossing a male horse and a female donkey. I asked Clay why he's never owned a hinney, and he told me it's because they're much more rare. In fact, Clay said he doesn't know a single person who owns a hinnie.
Speaker 6: Well, that has nothing to do with the Main Woods.
Speaker 1: Like I was thinking, Clay Newcombe does not know anyone who owns one of these. I feel so much better about not even knowing what it is.
Speaker 2: And you wagered zero.
Speaker 4: We have question eight and say this is how this pertains to the big Maine Woods.
Speaker 2: Well, nobody said I had anything to do with Maine. That was seth projecting, thinking that she couldn't possibly comprehend a question that went outside the borders of her state.
Speaker 4: Have you ever been to Maine? They're very proud of me.
Speaker 1: A lot of questions come from me.
Speaker 2: Question eight the topic is hunting. What state has the second largest population of pronghorn antelope? Is question eight? What state has the second largest population of prong horn anelope? Pat Dirkin once told me that Wisconsin is the capital of having capitals. He said that they are very passionate about being the biggest and baddest for all things, that every little corner of the state is the world capital of whatever. So he said, they're the capital of having capitals. We're on question eight right now, what state has the second largest population of prong horn antelope? We will get a scoreboard update after this.
Speaker 4: How many points you got? Randall?
Speaker 1: Well, I want to know how many points hunter has?
Speaker 2: Well, he wants to know how many points he honestly.
Speaker 1: You have? I got seven right now, I've got eleven. Think about answering, think about wagering zero again, I'm from.
Speaker 3: Here on rules hasn't really been.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 4: So I mean that's within striking distance.
Speaker 2: That's what i'm That's what I'm What state has the second largest population of prong horn antelope? Does everybody have an answer and a wager? Yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying Montana wagering three, cal wagering zero saying Montana, Hunter wagering one saying South Dakota, Christine wagering one saying Montana, Alyssa wagering two saying Wyoming, Giannis wagering three saying New Mexico, Randall wagering zero saying Nevada. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Montana. Seth Oh got it right. Wyoming has a commanding lead on the rest of America, with about four hundred thousand antelope within its borders. Montana is second at one hundred and twenty five thousand, Colorado is third at sex seventy thousand, and New Mexico and South Dakota share fourth place at forty thousand. Fail We have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've got it here. I'll just it's not gonna be in order. I'll try to make it in order.
Speaker 1: We've got some excitement, please stop it.
Speaker 8: We have a listener with minus eight, negative eight, Yanni has negative four, Seth has negative one. Then we've got Hunter and Christine with four, col with seven, and Randall with eleven.
Speaker 2: Still question nine, the topic is conservation. This next great question comes to his via Eli Blackburn, dusky grouse and soodie grouse used to be considered one species. What was that species called? Dusky grouse and soodie grouse used to be considered one species? What was that species called? This is question nine. This is the last time that you will have between zero and three to wager on question ten. You can wager whatever you like up to your maximum points.
Speaker 4: Son of a gun really really chickened out.
Speaker 7: On the should have to wage zero.
Speaker 1: That'd be a good house rule to incorporate next time.
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Cal Do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: I believe?
Speaker 2: So? Okay, Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's wagering zero again? Sounds like right? Honest, I had a wager, Hunter, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I'd add a wager if I cannot believe, but I didn't didn't wager anything on all Montange.
Speaker 6: I think everyone negative should get to wager.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, So after this is the question question ten, you're gonna have a max wager and you can come up with your way once you know your answer.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready to reveal their answer here? Does everyone have a wager?
Speaker 4: You would be good as folks with negatives can like throw negatives at other people's scores depending on how nice they were to them.
Speaker 1: These are the next time we play wager trivia.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth wagering three saying blue grouse, Cal saying blue grouse, and wagering three, Hunter wagering zero saying soodie, Christine wagering zero saying grouse, a list of wagering two saying rough grouse, Yiannis wagering three saying blue. It's not gonna be enough to get him out of the negatives, though, Randall wagering zero saying spruce. The correct answer is blue grouse. Few of our players got it right. The dusky and sooty grouse were first identified as separate birds by Lewis and Clark in the eighteen hundreds, then in the nineteen hundreds they were combined into one species called the blue grouse. Then in two thousand and six, ornithologists reverse that decision and went back to identifying them as dusky and soodie grouse, just like Lewis and Clark did. Question ten, Phil give us a scoreboard update one more time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll.
Speaker 4: I'll just do the positives. We've got Seth.
Speaker 8: Seth got himself out, he's got two points, okay, and then we have Hunter and Christine with four, Cow with ten, and Randall with eleven.
Speaker 2: Alyssa and Yanni do not get to participate. You can participate if you can.
Speaker 5: We still do zero through three, like we.
Speaker 2: Have to do whatever you want. I don't think you can. Sure you can wage?
Speaker 5: I mean, what's different about this question?
Speaker 4: Give give them thirteen.
Speaker 2: The difference in this question is you get to wager as much as you want. Here it is question ten. The topic is fishing. This last great question comes to us via Craig Bond.
Speaker 4: What if you carry your points over to the next time you play?
Speaker 2: No ideas. Here's question ten. What eight letter word describes the tapered region where a fish's tailfin is attached to its body?
Speaker 4: Oh shit, I know that he knows it.
Speaker 2: He has not put it on his whiteboard yet. Give us a reminder one more time of who is left in the positives?
Speaker 8: Phil Seth has two, Hunter and Christine have four, Cal has ten, Randall has eleven.
Speaker 2: They can wager as much as they like. A lot of strategy and play here. Here's the question again, What eight letter word describes the tapered region where a fish's tailfin is attached to its body? Cal is counting the letters at Randall has not come up with an answer.
Speaker 1: Are you looking for a plural form of this?
Speaker 2: What eight letter word describes the tapered region where a fish's tail fin is attached to its body?
Speaker 4: Randall's going, I'm just gonna just gonna take these points home, start playing a future for my family.
Speaker 6: I need to risk that.
Speaker 2: I think Randall has been at eleven five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, since question Yeah, I think actually yep five wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's just a word, it's just part of fish. Well, we're playing for the we're playing for the wind. So essentially, I mean it's.
Speaker 4: You would have to guess what I wager.
Speaker 1: Uh huh yeah, and then either wager zero or I wager all of it.
Speaker 6: Exactly what kind of zero against?
Speaker 1: We don't know what he made first guesses on those questions and I left it.
Speaker 4: All I'm telling you is I'm going high.
Speaker 2: Cal has served you his warning. He has a high weight.
Speaker 4: Like if these are all chips, I'd be going like, okay.
Speaker 2: Cal is very confident he is hinting at a high wager, and Randall has yet to come up with an.
Speaker 1: Answer for the region and not the taper Is that correct?
Speaker 2: What eight letter word describes the tapered region where a fish's tail fin is attached to its body? Hunter, do you have this one right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yanni?
Speaker 5: Would you get this?
Speaker 2: Don't give don't give out any hints here. There's a lot on the line, and no, I don't know what if he said on this week's episode of Okay, Is everybody ready, Randal?
Speaker 4: There's a lot of them in Lake Ontario?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: Most of those walleye for culvers, they'll come from Manitoba.
Speaker 2: That is right, demn It would have a wager written down as well. Yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth wagering nothing and has no answer. Cal saying ped uncle. He's wagering all ten of his points, Hunter saying it's waste, wagering zero, Christine wagering zero, saying pectoral, Alyssa and Yanni are out of the game. Randall wagering zero saying grip part The correct answer is Peduncle, making cal our winner wins twenty four points. He beats Randall, who had eleven.
Speaker 4: Just a measly eleven.
Speaker 2: Well played again, Randall had correct answers where he didn't wager anything or no, you said you thought you had the correct.
Speaker 1: You know, culvers immediately came to mind, and blew immediately came to mind. But I thought there were other grouse that were considered blue grass outside.
Speaker 6: You didn't wager any points, well I didn't.
Speaker 2: You didn't get them right though, either. Instead we have Cal, who swoops in at the end with twenty points. Uncle, did that did that word sound familiar after we heard the answer? No, didn't hit anybody. P e ed you p e d uncle. We're We're not gonna make him spell it right. A col was just playing on hard mode by spelling it wrong. Peduncle means peduncle means stem fish's strong swimming muscles are located. The best way to think about this is by imagining that the tail fin is the propeller and the peduncle is the motor. This area is largely responsible for a fish's locomotion.
Speaker 6: Cal.
Speaker 2: What happens next is you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation goes. This is the first game we've ever played under the wager rules. It's a big donation. Where are we sending it to? You?
Speaker 4: Mans? Lots going on?
Speaker 2: Cal director of conservation can't come up with a conservation organization.
Speaker 6: He needs suggestions.
Speaker 1: He's taking it serious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna sued A corner crossing case is still going uh and fundraising for that. So I'm gonna go Wyoming b h A, Wyoming Backcountry Hunters and Anglers.
Speaker 2: And it's specific to the corner crossing thing that's still not wrapped up. It's been years. Yea, where are we currently standing?
Speaker 4: So we're currently waiting on our shot in appeals court. So technically not our shot if you are pro corner crossing, but this is the landowner, the holding company that is appealing the original decision.
Speaker 2: I think we have an episode of the Medater podcast coming up in the next couple of weeks where they talk to a lawyer.
Speaker 4: It actually it came out a while ago.
Speaker 6: Oh it did yep?
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, well, I mean as this episode airs.
Speaker 4: A couple of weeks ago. Check it out.
Speaker 1: Jill's Inside of the Matrix.
Speaker 4: I know there should be a back to the Future episode, Episode.
Speaker 2: Four eighty eight, awesome pretzel.
Speaker 4: Go back and check out episode four eighty eight. Lots of awesome, awesome info from the attorney for the defense.
Speaker 2: What do we think of the wager style? Would you want to play that again?
Speaker 6: That was kind of fun even though I sucked at it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, lowest score. There you go.
Speaker 4: It is fun though at the end, right when you're like, oh, no, I actually know this versus Stab in the dark, because.
Speaker 2: You know you can intimidate random he fell apart.
Speaker 4: I mean no, I just it's kind of hard to watch for all you folks.
Speaker 1: I feel like I just played conservatively and all of my decisions I don't know that I made a wrong decision throughout.
Speaker 4: This is not a guy that you want to follow through Bozeman traffic.
Speaker 2: Right now, Cal is our winner now. As a reminder of the board game is available right now in the mead Eater store. If you like this show, if you like the outdoors, if you like trivia, if you just like learning things, you'll love the board Game. It's the most proud I've ever been of something that I've made in my whole life. Genuinely, I teared up when I got my hands on a copy. So it means the world to me. If this board game makes it to your deer camp or kitchen table, or glove box or your truck, It's made to go wherever you go. It's made for people who love this lifestyle. Thank you to see you for the opportunity on this podcast, big platform. He just let me like have my fun with Phil for making this show what it is. We'd have no idea what it was going to be like and nailed the sound effects everything else. Phil, Thank you. Hunter did all the amazing design work on the board game. That's like my favorite play beautiful. It looks like no other board games you're gonna have on your shelf. It looks mature, it looks fun. It looks like something you'd be stoked to play. I think if you like the outdoors, Sam James, he did a ton of behind the scenes work to make this thing happen. Wouldn't have been here. That was ever the case the players in this room for the fun environment. Otherwise it would just be me like telling you facts that that's nothing you know, compared to everyone having fun in here, giving me a hard time, giving each other a hard time, and the listeners who's sending questions, leaf comments, download shows, watch YouTube. None of it would be possible without you. Something that's never lost on me, so thank you. Meet Eat or Trivia, the board game the only board game with conservation. Excuse me, Media Or Trivia, the only board game where conservation always wins, is available right now in the Mediater Store. Join us next time for more meat. Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 1: You're here, se