Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw of Dating Preferred Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 5: Everyone, it's Jane Slater back in the hosting seat.
Speaker 6: I don't know if we've set the table for you guys a little bit.
Speaker 5: But we are sort of doing a rotating chair as I alluded to some of the family stuff that I'm dealing with. So thank you girls for stepping up. I love that we've got so many awesome women that are part of this show now that can step in here, and that we've got such a loyal following already, so we appreciate you for that. Loyal fans of Dak Prescott, I think we've all been excited to see him make his return. Not as optimistic as the four week one window that Jerry would have had us to have believed initially, it was six weeks, and it seems like everything is trending in the right direction. I was so bullish about it that on NFL Network I said I'd be surprised if he's not dressing out in an under center on Sunday today. The news from Mike McCarthy, though, that gives us that confidence is the fact that he has been medically cleared for that fracture in his right thumb.
Speaker 6: That is good news.
Speaker 5: And I gotta tell you, Haley, you're in the locker room listening to rookie Jake Ferguson, and I even pulled Simmy Fioco and Noah Brown off to the side and asked him about the zip on the ball. They said it's there. And I loved the SoundBite from Jake Ferguson. He said, I had a thumb injury and I couldn't even grip a cup.
Speaker 6: So that's what's so remarkable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what's so remarkable about what Dak Prescott's been able to do just six weeks now removed after jamming that hand in a shack Barrett's helmet not once but twice in week one.
Speaker 6: What are you most excited to see from him?
Speaker 5: Although we didn't get to see a lot of this today, ladies, because they had a walk through, but it was my mccarthur. You told us that they went through a mock practice about a seventy play mock game, not mock practice, mock game, and then you would throw about forty to fifty balls just perimeter players and then expect to be a full participant on Thursday. What's the one thing that you need to see in practice on Thursday from him?
Speaker 7: M hm uh wait, Oh sorry.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I'm trying to.
Speaker 7: Bad from him.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just I guess I just want to see him get in the flow of things, see how comfortable he looks back there.
Speaker 6: It looked like he looked.
Speaker 4: Fine under center, you know, doing some of the things before the game.
Speaker 7: So I don't know if he's comfortable. I'm comfortable.
Speaker 4: I just want to see how he flows back into the offense at this point.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm definitely just interested to see how he impacts the other players around him. I know, with Cooper Rush, the narrative has been you know how consistent Cooper was. But I think consistency can get a little dull at times. And the thing that stood out about this offense last year was their ability to put points on the board, their ability to be creative in that way.
Speaker 6: So uh, less about you.
Speaker 8: Know what I'm excited about Dak to do more so what he's going to allow for the players around him to do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and we talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 10: I'm excited to see that foundation finally built for what this Cowboys offense is going to be their starting point with their starting quarterback coming in and then from there growing to see what they can be. I'm also excited to see where he is mentally after being on the sidelines and talking about seeing this game from a different perspective again, I'm excited to see how he hones that in how he channels that when he's playing, and expect all good things from QB one.
Speaker 5: Well, Listen, I don't think anyone in that locker room wanted Cooper Rush to have the game that he did against the Eagles, and, to his credit, to come back in the second half the way that he did. I thought was a strong performance not only from him but from this offense as a whole. But it certainly helps Dak coming back right because if Cooper Rush had gone on the road against that Eagles team, who we have now seen as a bona fide threat in the NFC East, I think it would have made this thing a.
Speaker 6: Little bit more delicate. As he came back.
Speaker 5: In other words, a very small margin of era afforded to him.
Speaker 6: I respect that Mike McCarthy too.
Speaker 5: You know, last week there was a little bit of playing coy, a little bit of gamesmanship. We only saw him throwing with the left hand, and the parts of practice that he was throwing we didn't get scam and he shows up as questionable on the practice report.
Speaker 6: I get that.
Speaker 5: But that's why I think Thursday is going to be so meaningful for all of us, because again listening to these guys, these guys told me if he wanted to play last week, and a lot of them thought that he could, that he would have been out there on Sunday.
Speaker 6: So I think this was an abundance of caution.
Speaker 5: But you're also doing it against a team who's only win this season comes the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 6: In week two.
Speaker 5: We're talking about a one and four Detroit Lions team, which we'll get into after our first break. And it's a game at home and Dak plays really really well at home offensively, though, how different do you think this offense is from week one? Starting with me, I'll just say they didn't have two tight ends that they could rely on. I mean, Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot are doing some special stuff out there, and Mike McCarthy has always wanted to employ the two tight end set, and I feel like you now have the guys do that now.
Speaker 6: We were talking about this before the show What's up with Dalton Schultz?
Speaker 5: We didn't get an update today, so that's my fault and the beat for not asking. I sent out a text, so hopefully I'll have some sort of update for you. But just seeing the running game get going, you know, we talked about this a couple of weeks ago. Dak went on record and say the game has slowed down for him a little bit. They need to simplify things, which is interesting because you're hearing Aaron Rodgers say that now also in Green Bay.
Speaker 6: But I think.
Speaker 5: Sometimes the play calling was a little too cute, and I think Dak was trying to do too much. But when he has those gaudy numbers, they don't translate into wins. So how do you anticipate this offense rolling? With Dak back under center Asia?
Speaker 4: So, I mean, we heard from Kellen Moore the other day and also from Mike McCarthy talking about you know, they don't expect any changes to what they do offensively, and honestly, if you look at if you I mean if you look at the games and look at them in detail, there are so many opportunities there for these receivers. They're they're scheming these guys open. So I guess I'll piggyback off of what Haley said earlier is that I think there's going to be more opportunity for these players to make plays that maybe we're there, you know this first couple of weeks, but haven't been there.
Speaker 7: And then also too, I mentioned it yesterday.
Speaker 4: I think it's important that he's coming back to an offensive line that is starting to communicate better, starting to jail better.
Speaker 7: Guys have been in their spots for a while.
Speaker 4: We're still trying to see what's going to happen at you know, left guard or whatever with Jason Peters, But for now McGovern has come back in and he settled and well, so that was brought up, like, I think they communicated really well last week despite all the craziness, and I just think that's going to be important for him to come in, settle in, and for this run game to be going.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that something that I've kind of attached myself to is this idea of mojo that everybody talks about.
Speaker 7: Jerry talked about.
Speaker 8: The mojo with Cooper and keeping him in versus playing Dak too early. To me, I think the mojo is more of, you know, what's going to help this offense play.
Speaker 6: Better and look better.
Speaker 8: And I think statistically it's Dak Prescott, you know. And it's no shade to Cooper Rush. I think he did what he did and that's fine. It'd helped the Cowboys be in a better position. But when you talk about Dak and the things that he's able to do, just some reading I did earlier. The last time they played the Lions, he had a single game high of four hundred and forty four yards back in twenty nineteen. He's never lost to Detroit as a starter, So it kind of to me this sets the tone for a game for him that's really gonna you know, number one put everybody back on notice. Like I heard what y'all were saying about me here I am. But also I think when you put up those kind of numbers, when you have that in your future, I thought that was someone's phone but you know, when you have that again, it just makes everyone around you play better. You're more comfortable with this guy who did most of the reps during training camp with you.
Speaker 6: It's what you're comfortable with.
Speaker 8: I think that Dak that while the offense maybe doesn't change, the play calling maybe doesn't change, but maybe the energy around and the players around kind of get that spark back. And you heard it with guys today. Leyton vanderash talked about what an asset it is to have Dak Prescott on your sideline, let alone behind center. So I just think it's going to bring a lot of energy, a lot of excitement, especially given the work that Cooper Rush has done over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 10: And you know what that reminds me of is Dak's first game back after the ankle injury, the Bucks game last season.
Speaker 9: The camaraderie was just huge.
Speaker 10: I mean it wasn't even a home game and it was I remember I was at the watch party at eighteen T Stadium.
Speaker 9: There were people crying when Dak came out on the field on the screen.
Speaker 10: I mean, but it's I can't even imagine his return at a home game. So again, it's not as serious of an injury as his ankle was, but the fact that he's been out, the fan base has had time to gain their appreciation back for Dak Prescott is going to lead to a very good home field advantage, I think Dak, and not only that, but to Ayush's point earlier, you look at the wide receiver group and how different it is from the last time Dak played. During the Bucks game, the receivers he had Noah Brown, Dalton Schultz, Ceede Lamb, Dennis Houston, Tony Pollard, Semi Fioko and of course Zeke acted as a receiver there for a little bit during that game. Last week, you have a much different receiver corps here. You have Ceede Lamb, Jake Ferguson, Payton Hendershot, Michael Gallop, Noah Brown, Sean McEwan, Tony Pollard, Zeke Elliott, and Cavante Turpin. So I think again it goes back to you get to see an established offense and you get to see an O line that has had weeks to gel and get those rookie mistakes out. If you will to give Dak that protection to get that play action going to give him the time to make the decisions and to get that ball zipped out and of course give him the protections so that way no more injuries happen.
Speaker 5: Well, it looks like James Washington is getting closer and closer. But I gotta tell y'all, I don't know what to expect from him. It's not like he had a big ear with the Steelers, and we didn't see much in training camp. So while I think it gives you options on offense, I don't know if I'm sitting here going he's gonna be a difference maker. I keep wanting to see Cavante Turpin utilized a little bit more in the middle of the field.
Speaker 6: Why are we not seeing that.
Speaker 7: I have no idea why that's not happening.
Speaker 4: Uh, he's got speed from us, from us, Like I mean, I think the rest of the community feels that way, because I mean, teams wish they.
Speaker 7: Had a guy to take the top off like he can.
Speaker 4: I wonder, like I said, this is something we maybe we don't consider.
Speaker 7: He is, you know, new to the NFL.
Speaker 4: He is technically a rookie in the NFL, So maybe this gentleman is still learning, you know, the wide receiver position because he is a special He said it multiple times, like you know, I'm a specialist, you know.
Speaker 7: So I'm wondering if maybe that has anything to do with it.
Speaker 5: But he's also said multiple times he wants to be a receiver.
Speaker 6: I mean, talk to folks at TCU. He's very capable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's instances, there's instances where he had he's on film on like as a receiver option. It's and maybe you see that, like we just talked about, maybe maybe we see him get those opportunities now that Dak is under center, and then maybe they try to go down the field more.
Speaker 7: But yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 8: So I thought you were done. I'm sorry, Mike's hay there, it is. Sorry my Mike was off. I didn't mean to cut you off.
Speaker 7: I thought you were done.
Speaker 8: I was just gonna say, going off of those same lines. A couple of weeks ago, I think Mike was asked about that, why why are we not utilizing Cavante Turpin because you see the difference maker he is on special teams. Maybe you integrate grate that into the offense and that changes, you know, your offensive outlook.
Speaker 6: And Mike just kind of said.
Speaker 8: Look like we're doing the best we can with what we've got, and right now, what we've got is Cooper Rush and he even talked about the plays were designed to keep Cooper protected. I think that's why he went so long without throwing an interception, without being sacked as often maybe as he was as the stretch went on. So again, I think bringing Dak back allows you to maybe play with something a little bit more creatively like that, because Dak's a guy that can hit those balls. So if Cavante is going to make those quick routes and get down the field, Dak's going to be a guy who can see that laser in on that and make the pass.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 10: I also love that you make my segues so easy because you're talking about creativity here, and I know it's two different situations, but you had Jason Peters and Tyler Smith, so you had that veteran guy and the rookie guy, right.
Speaker 9: So when you look.
Speaker 10: At bringing James Washington in, I wonder if when you can get creative when James Washington is healthy, is you utilize him to kind of rotate and throw more defenses off because James Washington does bring that veteran leadership and I really learned this last week when I was in the locker room talking to him, because Ayush and I were sitting there talking to him and Jalen Tolbert and we're like, hey, are you ready for the Eagles game? To Jalen, He's like, yeah because of this guy, which was James Washington right next to him, who wasn't even playing. So I think that's very special and very overlooked for James Washington is he brings that veteran leadership to the younger guys that a lot of them are still rookies. So I think James Washington can be utilized in this offense. I'm just not sure to what extent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just to give some context really quick in regards to James James Washington, he told reporters today it's all in trainer Britt Brown's hands ahead of Wednesday's practice.
Speaker 6: He's the expert. So it sounds like a Dak.
Speaker 8: Situation where like he's ready to play, but maybe he hasn't been given that green light.
Speaker 9: Just yet last week.
Speaker 5: Think they're trying to rush him back yet, right because they've got You've got only so many guys that you can carry on your roster on game day, and I don't think he's I just don't think he's special enough to them because of what we saw at camp for them to rush him necessarily back.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I'm not gonna sit up for a neck like Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean in camp he definitely looked like he was he was, I think more so out of shaping camp. So and I didn't understand what they were gonna do with him there. But at this point also too, I think something that is underrated is like we didn't expect.
Speaker 7: For Noel Brown to just come out of ball and like he did. So yeah, I don't. I'm not sure. I'm also not exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm also not sure if we expected for Michael Gallup to be back. I mean, I think people did expect for him to be back, but I don't know. Three games into it and then he's coming along and Deck's going to be here.
Speaker 5: So they've got as much as Cooper and Noah had that chemistry, The Michael Dak chemistry is seeing so good.
Speaker 7: I should have said that earlier.
Speaker 9: That's the thing I'm looking for.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, and when you talk about James Washington, that's really to me what he's He's a lot like Michael Gallup, big body, physical, he has some verticality to him, but at the same time, like they're a lot of the same guy in what they do. So I do think that there may be a conflict of interest there when you're talking about who's going.
Speaker 7: To be on the field as opposed to who's going to be you know.
Speaker 10: I also don't think before he got injured that there was enough to see from him to see how he could gel with this offense because well because really back then you look at the offense as a whole, and the conversation was so much different. During training camp it was Amari's gone, sky is falling. Oh no, nobody had faith within the Wide Receiver Corps. The conversations were so much different to where when when James Washington got brought in, it was like, oh, my goodness, everything is going to be okay.
Speaker 9: There's a veteran here.
Speaker 10: But really, what you've seen is obviously I've seen the younger guys step up, but I really don't know, you know, how much of his veteran presence has helped these younger guys as well. And those are conversations you know, we're not part of. We don't get to see, but I do know hearing how he was talking to Jalen and the things that Jalen was saying. Oh yeah, this guy right here, he's preparing me right now. I mean that was that was kind of cool to see because I feel like that was it was a real brother brother brotherhood moment. I was gonna say brothership, like brother and friendship mix. But it was cool to see.
Speaker 5: You guys actually bring up something I want to talk about after we take our first break here. How much confidence do you have in this wide receivers group right now? I mean, we talk about a scoring offense. They got it done during the stretch with uh Cooper Rush, but do you think that other teams are really respecting the passing game and some of the passing threats. So you guys have think about that for a second and we'll talk about that on the other side of the break. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, Pepsi loving football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash, and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can. No. Recycling might not be as thrilling as converting up fourth and long, But next time you're thinking about throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, just cap it back up and pretend you're down six with the recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player, and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 12: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: As they snapped a presh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped left, he'll.
Speaker 3: Look full punch down.
Speaker 12: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust with blockchain dot com. I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Press Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 12: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: But first, Jess, Oh hello, all right, hold on, yesterday was a day Jane. If you didn't hear about my day yesterday, well, all right, let's talk about Sounds of the Star. Live music fans ahead to the Star in Frisco on Wednesday, October twenty six for a brand new monthly concert series, Sounds of the Star, featuring the spectacular Southern soul band Profits and Outlaws. The concert kicks off at seven pm and is free and open to the public. For more information, please visit the Star in Frisco dot com.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Jess.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, the big news of the day, of course, Dak Prescott medically cleared to be a full participant in practice today, just a walkthrough, so we didn't get our eyeballs on him. That'll happen on Thursday. We'll also talk to him outside the locker room as well to see how he felt. But he was anticipated to go through a seventy seventy play mock game with the team and then throw about forty to fifty balls to his perimeter players after practice, So I think the big thing is going to be how does he fill after the practice?
Speaker 6: Was he sore last week? We talked.
Speaker 5: He was a little bit sore after that initial practice, as was to be expected, but I think once we saw him on the road going through that warm up listed as questionable.
Speaker 6: Felt like all systems were go.
Speaker 5: When Deck Prescott is your starting quarterback going back to twenty twenty one, he ranks top five and completion percentage, passing, touchdowns to interception ratio, and a passer rating since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: Pretty impressive stuff from Deck Prescott and you see him on the field.
Speaker 5: That's why the fake quarterback controversy was always quite interesting to me. The Dallas offense averages almost ten more points per game with Prescott than rush since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: Before we took our first.
Speaker 5: Break, I did have a question for you ladies, how much confidence do you have in this wide receiver's room now? Week one I think was it was tough to get a read on this offense, and I think where I'm going with this argument is it's TBD. I still don't know what to expect from this offense. I mean, for the most part, this Dallas defense has really kept these guys in the game, which has a lot to do with their feig and two record. I think what you really ca had was a good bus driver in Cooper Rush, but we weren't seeing Gotti stats, we weren't seeing Circus catches. But you also didn't have a full compliment of receivers. When Dak started in week one, he was throwing into a lot of tight windows, particularly because you had Seedy Lamb getting double and sometimes triple coverage. You didn't have a guy like Michael Gallop on the field, and we certainly didn't see these two titands and the rookies who I've just been so impressed by with Peyton hinder Shot and of course Jake Ferguson. So I shall start with you. You watch a lot of the tape. Do you think teams are respecting these wide receivers and is this a wide receiver room right now as you see it that demands the respect of opposing defenses?
Speaker 7: Can I go next?
Speaker 4: I'm gathering at that, yeah, ir honest, sorry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think a lot of what we've been talking about. I just think it's so challenging when your general is not on the battlefield with you. You know, like we talk all the time about you know, your your backup quarterback should be able to in theory the way you're starting quarterback does. Maybe not to the same caliber, but you know, it's the same play as the same playbook.
Speaker 7: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 8: But there's something to be said about not only a rapport on the field, but a relationship that you have with that person. And I think what Cooper Rush really lacked over the last couple of weeks is that relationship.
Speaker 6: And like, don't get it twisted.
Speaker 8: These guys have the utmost respect for what Cooper does, what Cooper has done, and who he is as a person, but he's not their homeboy, you know what I mean. Like they're not flocking to Cooper's locker, you know, dabbing him up and asking how his day's going.
Speaker 6: They're respectful, they're.
Speaker 8: You know, he's their teammate, but you just see the difference in how they are with Dak. And as a former athlete, you know that that makes a big difference. You know, you're you play better with the people you're closest with. And so I'm rambling at this point, but to me, we haven't seen the best out of these receivers because they haven't seen the best out of their quarterback. So when it comes to demanding respect, necessarily think at the minute, they're demanding that only because they haven't been afforded those opportunities to show who they are.
Speaker 6: Like CD is still CD.
Speaker 8: He's still averaging about ten yards after the catch, which is impressive, Michael Gallup being able to do the tow drag swag. You know that we're so accustomed to seeing or being the vertical threat that we're so used to.
Speaker 6: Seeing, even Noah Brown.
Speaker 8: So I think as time goes on, hopefully we see glimpses of it on Sunday and can eventually build on it.
Speaker 6: But that's just kind of my take.
Speaker 4: Now and to your point, now that I can, oh my God, thank you guys, But no, like that's I think that is something I will say that I have seen on films that you see eight nine man boxes like they're they're loading the box to stop the run because they didn't think that Cooper Rush could beat them with their arm.
Speaker 7: And that's actually what a lot of defenses did.
Speaker 4: And more importantly, you could see that they knew they knew Cooper Rush's deficiencies, and I think that also closed the playbook and some of the things they were able to do. To Hayley's point, I do think that there. I think that guys do play more motivated. They fight back to the ball. They like it's they're a little bit more vicious getting through blocks and stuff like that when you know your quarterback is gonna be able to get that ball there.
Speaker 7: So I'll see, I'll see.
Speaker 4: With Ceedee Lamb particularly, I think that I think sometimes we're a bit unfair with what he has done in his early years, given what he has dealt with coaching wise, we talked about him having a wide receiver coach change during this time.
Speaker 6: And Jervis Landry's coach at LSU.
Speaker 4: I think I think, you know, Quiet has captain and CD will tell you that he learned a lot from Amari Cooper while he was there, while he was here, So I feel like this is the time for us to see what's up.
Speaker 7: Like I think God is the point I mean.
Speaker 4: And I feel that, and like I feel that, but I want us like to be fair about like where he is as a player. I think a lot there's a lot of factors that are played into this offense not being not playing well, and a lot of that was offensive line, some of that was QB being injured, some of that was coaching changes. So a lot of these guys development is within this year and we're trying to see what they can do with it.
Speaker 10: Also, I think when you know when you have your starting quarterback out for the start of the season. And this is no hate to Cooper Rush. We all have given him as flowers and we appreciate everything he's done.
Speaker 9: I just want to say that.
Speaker 10: But I feel like these guys are gonna play a little bit harder, a little bit better, a little bit faster, a little bit more aware with dak In and knowing especially he may not be he may be a little more fragile this week than the most coming off of an injury is most people would be. I mean, that's that's the human body. But I feel like they have something else to play for. Not only did they just get off of a loss to the Eagles, which look, everyone can sit there and say it's just another game.
Speaker 9: And the grand scheme of things, yes, but it's the Eagles.
Speaker 10: You don't no guy in that locker room wanted to lose any game, much less to the Eagles.
Speaker 6: Away.
Speaker 10: I mean, let's be honest, they have redemption to prove now, because now the conversation shifted from oh, you know this team is a major threat.
Speaker 9: Are they one of the best in the NFC too?
Speaker 10: Oh well, look at all the flags that they got thrown out, and oh you know, the conversation switched this week, and I know, if anything about this team after hearing Dan Quinn in the press conference, after hearing Mike McCarthy, they were upset. So I think, not only does this team not get the respect that they deserve most of the time, but I think they have a little bit more fight in them. After a loss and then knowing that Dak is coming back off of an injury, you're going to fight a little bit harder to protect him than you normally would. I mean those that O line is not going to let anybody touch Dak. I can almost guarantee they are going to fight. And we'll get into the stats of the Lions and why. I think that's going to be a little bit of an easier task this week for them to not get any pressure on Dak. But I also think that when you're looking at the grand scheme of things, Dak uses his legs more. Dak is a little bit more mobile, So we might not see that at first, might seem a little bit more of a conservative approach at first, but Dak eventually is going to be more mobile.
Speaker 9: And like I said, when this offense can.
Speaker 10: Gel with Dak in, it's gonna be a much different offense than what we saw this week, even compared to like two three weeks from now.
Speaker 5: I just have to wonder if they start going back to their roots. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And when we look at that rookie season of Dak, Prescott's yes, he did use his legs got more open. We saw more of like a Jalen Hurts at times his rookie season. But also if they're loading the box because they don't respect his arm of Cooper's. They do respect the arm of Dak Prescott. Is that gonna open up your running game a little bit more this week? And does that simplify the offense a little bit for him as he's coming back?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, man, I'm telling you right now, you can run the ball. It changes everything for your offense.
Speaker 4: And quite honestly, if you look at last year, that was pretty much the culprit of the problem is that the Cowboys offensive line really struggled last year.
Speaker 7: And when the Cowboys cannot run the ball.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna drop sixty b's in coverage and you let me see what you do with Yeah. But now if you don't, if you don't come stop this run, we're gonna gash you every time.
Speaker 7: And not even not only just gas.
Speaker 4: You tp going for fifty two, you know so I think and also too, you talked about you know, the tight ends.
Speaker 7: I think it's it. We've harped on it. But it is so.
Speaker 4: Important this twelve personnel and what they want to do blocking wise, to open up the pass, open up I mean, you see it all the time with like Travis Kelce I mean, yeah, you see it all the time, like he'll act like he's blocking and then roll to the end zone. Those are things that actually that's what Firk did, and like, those are things that you can do when you establish the run and you actually have an offense that's willing to run downhill at people.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys told us that.
Speaker 4: They wanted to get back to running the ball, and they really do have an offensive line that is cool with going downhill and modeling guys and really physically demanding their like demanding that.
Speaker 7: You respect what they do. So I'm excited to see.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've seen how the play action has helped out this offense as well.
Speaker 6: For Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: He's one of the best in the NFL on play action because hey, they actually can run the ball this year. So I think that all all the way around is going to pay dividends for Dak to come in and be more comfortable because he doesn't have to do it all by himself. So many times last year I felt like he felt like I can't get it, Like, no, the run game's not working, let me force this pass in here, let me do this but now.
Speaker 5: But they would sort of move away from it, that's what would try you nuts. Yeah, it's like I felt like this year it's a little bit more balanced and they are sticking with the run, and you know, you're wearing these opposing teams down because you can't have your defense out there as long as you've had them at times. I mean right now, they've sort of we at least saw during the you know, the four game win streak with kober Rush they were bending, not breaking, and then we finally saw it sort of gast him because what the Eagles had that what fifteen play drive?
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, but they lay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they like I talked about yesterday, they were like they started at their forty six like they started in Cowboys Tear Toy, I want to say four times. So quite honestly, like I think that's difficult for any defense to get through, and I think they held them. Took two field goals during that time. Anyway, I think this.
Speaker 5: Cooper was just trying to throw turnovers last so weird. This guy had not thrown a pick yet. Pressure.
Speaker 6: I mean he almost had four in the game.
Speaker 7: It's the pressure. It was a lot of the pressure. Also to uh, there were a couple he got pressured.
Speaker 4: He got hit on a couple of the like one of those picks as well, So I think, yeah, I think that. I think that this run game and all the way around is going to help what Dak wants to do and integrating him back into this offense.
Speaker 10: I just feel like the team that we saw against the Eagles were very The team as a whole was very uncharacteristic. So you're talking Cooper, esh, we don't usually see that, No, we don't, but we also don't usually see as many well here we go penalties again, but just the I know. My point is that the lack of discipline with that and and that's what it really showed is you don't usually see that on a dan Quinn defense. And I think it was frustration and like we talked about, you know, you can't let those things cost you the game essentially. But something that I did want to know is that the cow the Lions defense actually ranks the last in the NFL right now. And so I think if we're going to see the offense, the Cowboys offense play their best, this is their best opportunity to really show, hey we can protect our quarterback. Hey, let's get we got our bad week out last week. Let's move forward and let's play our best. I think this is the best game Dat could.
Speaker 9: Have come back for. When you look at the statistics of the Lions, Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is a defensively, this team just seems like they're just a little all over the place. I think they're still I know they have new coaches in there. It looks like schematically, a lot of guys are confused a lot of the time. A lot of guys are out of position, they don't particularly tackle well, they don't.
Speaker 7: Get pressure well.
Speaker 4: It's it was hard, like it was actually really hard to see them, especially when their offense can get points like their offense, like the Lions offense has the ability to be explosive, but this defense can't stop much of anything right now. So yeah, I think this will be a week where the Cowboys can maybe build some confidence. You talk about Dak getting back in there, getting reintegrated into the offense. I think this is a week where if you want to build confidence in your offense moving forward, it's a good way to start.
Speaker 6: It's a reset.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and the Lions also battling a lot of injuries right now.
Speaker 5: Which we will get into after we take our second and final break, but I did want to just have one note. I don't know if you guys saw Tom Brady's just melt down with his offensive line after missing, you know, the walkthrough on Saturday to go to Robert cross wedding. I think it when you talk about the respect that this team has for Dak Prescott, Dak would never talk to his offensive line like that, or any player for that matter, And I think you respect people that respect you back.
Speaker 6: So it'll be interesting to see how that thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, tom Brady's got six rings, he's the goat, I get it, but no one wants to be talked to no matter who you are or what you've done in your career, especially millennials.
Speaker 6: I feel like millennials that right.
Speaker 7: Also, so many veterans like.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So it's like I think, I think the Cowboys are really fortunate to get a guy like Dak Prescott because I do think even just seeing him on the sidelines, you talk to any of these guys, the fact that he was on the sidelines, the fact that he was rehabing around the facility, the fact that he was literally what was it last week? I told you one of the guys said he's out, or is Michael gallup? He's like he's getting us water bottles. Yeah, he's just present, right. But there's no job too big or too small for Dak. I think that goes and when even we saw him on the on the sideline, so that first game that he got injured against the Bengals, I literally sent a text to Bobby Belt, who obviously works for One of five through the Fan is my producer and Edvil Network. I said they're going to do it for Dak, and they damn sure did. All right, Like I said, we're gonna take our second and final break. When we come back, we'll go through some injury updates for you, and we'll start scouting the Detroit Lions a little bit more for you.
Speaker 6: Tomorrow.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have Danny Rodgers the Detroit Lions team reporter. Love having their perspective because I think it just really gives you a kind of a three sixty view of the opponent heading into the week. But this is girl's Talk of boys talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home. But to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, Pepsi Love and football fans, it's time we had a lesson in trash talk. And I'm not talking about that stuff that happens on the field. What I'm talking about is trash and it's the only thing that belongs in your garbage can. Now, recycling might not be as thrilling as converting up fourth and long, But next time you're thinking about up throwing that Pepsi zero sugar bottle away, just cap it back up and pretend you're down by six with a recycling bin wide open. Know the difference, make a difference, be a team player and recycle. Visit Pepsi trash talk dot com to learn more.
Speaker 13: It's Smoothie King's original Angel Food and new Angel Food Slim.
Speaker 6: Without added sugar.
Speaker 13: You no longer have to choose between treating yourself and hitting your goals this summer. You don't have to choose between great taste and feeling great, because that's Smoothie King. Every blend is made with whole fruits and no syrups, so you can satisfy your cravings without compromise. The only choice you will need to make is which one is best for you to my our classic Angel Food or the new Angel Food Slim Blended without added sugar.
Speaker 6: Smoothie King Rule the day.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk, brought to you by Jigsaw Dating, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: But first, just let's get to.
Speaker 10: It all right, Well I have the papers this time, everyone, so we're off to a great start.
Speaker 9: Make sure to head to Rally Day.
Speaker 10: Head to AT and T Stadium on Saturday, October twenty second to experience Rally Day presented by Sea Geek. Get ready to cheer on your Dallas Cowboys with tours of AT and T Stadium, ticket giveaways, games inflatables, and more. Visit att stadium dot com slash Rellities for tickets and more information. On that note, Christy Scales wanted me to mention that this is Hearing Health Awareness Month, and so at rally Day you can actually get hearing tests that will take place in the postgame interview interview room. You can look for where to get those tests on the field. And yeah, just something to mention in collaboration with Signia, So thank you very good stuff.
Speaker 5: There, all right, Well, I know a lot of fans are always keen to know what the health of the roster looks like.
Speaker 6: So Haley, you got a little update for us, I do.
Speaker 8: We just got this sent a few minutes ago. So the big thing on there. Dak Prescott listed is full. Dalton Show too we spoke about earlier, was a full participant today as well as Quinton Nevill Gallimore, Devin Harper, Jason Peters, Ceedee Lamb kind of the only asterisk there. He was limited today with a hip injury. Mike McCarthy did tell us earlier that Terrell Basham is pretty close to practicing. He should be back on Wednesday to open his twenty one day window.
Speaker 6: And then de mon Clark.
Speaker 8: Looking pretty good as well, so we could see the return of him pretty soon. And I also want to mention I love scrolling down on these The Detroit Lions injury report is lengthy.
Speaker 6: So the ones that stand out to me right now.
Speaker 8: DJ Chark, who's been having issues with that ankle, he did not practice, DeAndre Swift was limited, and they've just got a slew. I think it's about seven players who did not practice today. So something to keep an eye out on moving forward in the week.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Hayley.
Speaker 5: All Right, Well, Mike McCarthy was asked about this one and four team that's coming to AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 6: Off of their bye week.
Speaker 5: Their only win this season, as I said earlier in the show, back on September eighteenth, against the Washington Commanders of thirty six to twenty seven game real lopsided this year for the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 6: I expected more from Dan Campbell.
Speaker 5: I also think it's the HBO Hard Knocks curse. They intend to really bite these guys. But yeah, it's like they're sort of lacking the fight that you expected from Dan. And I don't know if you guys watched Hard Knocks, but you expected so much more.
Speaker 6: But still, Mike was asked, you know, do.
Speaker 5: You view this as a track game because we're all sitting here going and we'll get into some of the stats this is a game the Cowboys should easily when you've got Dak back and you've got a full compliment of your receivers, you've got guys on defense that are playing great. But he said, this is what he calls an uncommon opponent. In other words, they haven't played him since twenty nineteen. Reference the fact there's only six holdovers from that team, and that's why it was so important a self scout, you know, we I think it was interesting last year we asked Ezekiel Elliet about self scouting, which is so big for Mike McCarthy. He hands them their tapes. He wants them to say, what tells are you giving away? In other words, are you touching your hand towel at a certain time or do you touch your helmet at a certain time? Like what are your tells that guys are seeing on tape? And he even said, because today's schedule was really weird, it was a Sunday night game. They got back late, right, but today was a walkthrough. We got Mike McCarthy at three versus ten thirty. And he said that's because they wanted more time with the tape. The coaches wanted to be prepared on the front end. And so when we look at this opponent, you know, we've already talked about some of their injuries, are you show what stands out, what could be a trap for them, what could trip Dallas up as we look to this Sunday game.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I watched a couple of games.
Speaker 4: It was a struggle having to watch Philly, having to watch Philly again willingly against the lines.
Speaker 7: It hurt me.
Speaker 4: But I watched Obviously, I watched the game last week with the Patriots because I was just like, they pitched a shut out, you know, so I wanted to.
Speaker 7: See what they did in particular, and it truly I think it's a mon Saint Brown.
Speaker 4: He is a very big part of what they do offensively in the passing game, and essentially if you can take him away to some degree, it kind of falls apart. It kind of really falls apart. And then when you start looking at would you say his name is.
Speaker 7: Chalk Chop DJ talk J Chalk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is, like he's intricate to what they do because he can make splash plays.
Speaker 7: But they really are run first team.
Speaker 4: So also too, I mean, even though like we could sit up here and be like Yeah, this is this could be an easy game.
Speaker 7: This line's offensive line, they will block, They they will block.
Speaker 4: They do a lot of traps, counters, pools. They're really trying to put your make your defense go one way and they go the other way. So this I also do think it's still a test for the defense specifically to you know, hone in on the misdirection and also be going up against another formidable offensive line. Like the line's offensive line is one of the better ones in the NFL. So absolutely yeah, and Penney sewell, like he's he's been like out coming in there. So I just want to see Dickerson. I just want to see how this defensive line fares. And then also we've been talking about the run defense for the Cowboys for a while. I want to see how they play as well. So that maybe is a place to where I think they could they could make something happen. Is but depending on DeAndre DeAndre Swift and seeing if he plays or not.
Speaker 6: What's crazy is we go.
Speaker 5: Back, you know we talk about this, uh, this defense for the Lions in case people forgot they took Penna sewel over Micah Parsons. Oh, I don't want to see Micah Parsons was sitting right there for Detroit.
Speaker 10: In fact, you know, it's funny actually, Jane, well you find that I have a SoundBite from Dan Campbell actually talking about that exact statement. So Jesse, let's roll that Micah Parsons SoundBite.
Speaker 11: I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily surprised, knowing the athlete that he isn't and was coming out now there. It was a little bit exactly where do you use him? How do you use him? Per sued, because there's he did he did have a skill set that's well, do you put him on the edge and let him rush a little? Or is he really a stackbacker? Is he a stackbacker that glitzes do you? You know, he's certainly athletic enough to cover. I mean, so there's all these things. It's just honing in on what he does best. And I think Dallas has done you know, Dan Quinningham and done a you know a great job with how they've used him. So there again, he's a rare talent. You know, he's got rare ability and uh and and he's he's dynamic now off the edge, that's he can do multiple things. But where you know, you put him on the perimeter and let him go. That's where he's he's uh, he really really excels.
Speaker 5: So you had Panay Seul seventh overall, Micah Parsons fell to twelfth, and you're like, well, we just didn't know what to do with him.
Speaker 8: He does so much.
Speaker 10: Well, they asked, They asked, Dan, are you surprised to see how Mike has been performing? And that's really what he said, and so you know, back to your point too. He was asked about strength on strength with the O line and then facing the Boys defense, and he said that he wants to take advantage of the areas that have not been hit yet on the Cowboys defense, he wants to exploit them and said that the Lions goal will be to try and stay out of third and seven plus down territory, to stand front of the sticks. Well, it starts with running the ball, That's what he said.
Speaker 4: Both teams are bottom of the league and third down efficiency. One thing about the Lions that they just like the Eagles last week, if it's fourth, if it's third and something, fourth and one, they going forward.
Speaker 5: They are not scared aggressive, they are not scared, and they going at Micah Parsons, And I want to ask you that, do you, ladies see since they I'm not saying they gave you the Broncos blueprint, right, but because they kept going after Micah Parsons, do you see other opposing offenses trying to do the.
Speaker 4: Same that I can try, But it doesn't mean they're going to be successful. I mean, like what Jalen Hurst does is very specific. What they do schematically is very specific. It's not easily replicated. But more importantly, I think that Micah is going to learn from it, and he probably ain't gonna give you a chance to even do that.
Speaker 2: No, mo.
Speaker 4: He probably gonna be like, you know what that's because actually that's what the lines did a lot in this In the game against the Eagles. They didn't give him, they didn't give him the chance to have the option. They just completely closed on him and that was the end of it.
Speaker 7: So we'll see.
Speaker 4: I think, like I said, I think the teach tape is good for Micah, but they did put him in weird situations that he has not been in yet and he's gonna have to learn from it.
Speaker 5: Well, I was just gonna say, I just feel like Micah is the type of guy that got uh not embarrassed on national television. But remember he's a Pennsylvania guy, and so the pit fan base is I mean, the pen fan base is huge going on the road, and he just strikes me as that type of guy, like, fool me once, don't he won't be fooled again. So I think that that's what sort of stood out to me. And to your point that offense is something else with the Eagles, I think you also have to factor in that Micah was not one hundred percent. I mean, as much as he talked about, as much as he talked about I'm being ready to go, you could just see it. There was certain plays where he wanted to tackle and he couldn't and he couldn't, you know, accelerate after the fact to chase people down like.
Speaker 8: What we've been so accustomed to seeing. And I think that that kind of stuff is a learning experience for him as well. You know, as these athletes, they want to push themselves, they want to be able to be in games because they're they're game changers. But if you're not one hundred percent, then you're not a game changer. You're just another guy on the line. If that makes sense, which we know Micah is not another guy.
Speaker 6: I want to clear it up.
Speaker 8: Before my Twitter mentions get all blown up. Micah is that guy.
Speaker 6: So I think going into this week, maybe.
Speaker 8: They're a little bit more reserved on his reps, or they're just monitoring that a little bit more so he can have that bounce back fool me once for me twice type mentality.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and then to that point, I'm so glad you brought that up. I was just about to say that, but look at the pace the Eagles were playing at. I mean, there was no time for anybody to even rest. So I think Mica not playing at you know, full one hundred like we're used to seeing. And then on top of that, the constant pace of being like this, it's only going to make them better.
Speaker 6: All Right, Do we have a past interference for us this week?
Speaker 10: You know what, I'm going to save our past interference for tomorrow because it's gonna be really good.
Speaker 6: I promise.
Speaker 7: I love that.
Speaker 6: All Right, Well, that's gonna do that, girls talk. I will be back here tomorrow. Haley, are you on the show tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Is it Kelsey Charles depends on if Kelsey's here gotcha, all right. Well, enjoyed this roundtable with you ladies. Keep in mind if you've become a loyal follow over follower of us, and we appreciate that. No pod on Friday, but we will really break down the Detroit Lions tomorrow and excited to have team reporter Danny Rodgers on there to help us do that. Until next time, we will see you on Thursday and Jazz. Thank you per usual.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.