Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, Let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: Crystal.
Speaker 2: I had an interesting conversation with Brianna and Joy Gray about third parties and Cornell West. So set it up to the people, what are we about to watch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so some of the comments that I made about third parties and doctor West's third party bid attracted a lot of attention apparently online, and so Kyle and I wanted to have a longer conversation. He basically shares my view on third party so we wanted to have a longer conversation with someone who's a good friend Briann and Enjoy Gray, who has a very different opinion on this, so we could go through all the things back and forth, et cetera. It's going to be available on Crystal Confront substack if you guys want to subscribe there, you can get the whole thing on Friday this evening. Otherwise, we are going to post this clip now that you can watch and enjoy and take from it whatever you will.
Speaker 4: Here you go, Welcome everybody to a special edition, i'd say, of Crystal Kyl and Friends. Not only is a Crystal Kyl and Friends, it's also sort of like a dual thing going on. We got Brianna Joy Gray in the house and this will be on her channel as well the Bad Faith Podcast.
Speaker 5: We'll crossover episode.
Speaker 4: We'll crossover episode for us. Definitely definitely looking forward to it. So we're going to discuss Cornell West's campaign and everything around that. And I just want everybody in the audience and ocause I don't know if we've said this publicly before that like he's been invited on multiple times and he just hasn't come on yet. And you know, this goes all the way back to when he launched, so he invited him on, he hasn't come on yet. You know, will he eventually? I don't know, you know, it's up to him. Balls in his court.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we had him on before, he had.
Speaker 4: Him on before, Yeah, before he announced his campaign. We're going back to when the People's Party thing launched. We invited him on all the way back then too, and just haven't heard back or anything. But I just don't want people to think we're debating Cornell West. But like Crystal and Kyle refusing to talk to cornw On West, we'd love to talk to Cornon on West. We want to have him, you know, we'd love to have him on at any point in time to discuss anything and everything. So we're going to discuss his campaign a little bit here, and so I want to lay out what my position is and then bringy. I'll turn it over to you and you can respond to it, and Crystally you can jump in at some point and tell say what you're feeling.
Speaker 6: We'll go through all the things.
Speaker 4: So here's my first of all in the Democratic primary, because I'm a registered Democrat in New York, I will be voting for Mary and Williamson. Very happy and proud to say that one of the I'm the chief Mary and Williamson bro out there.
Speaker 6: I'm leading the.
Speaker 4: Charge now in New York. I'm in a safe state. So what I vote for Cornell West in New York. Yes, because I have a ninety five percent agreement with him on policy, and I think it would be nice to get the Green Party in a position where if they become more viable because we get ranked choice voting or something, it'd be nice to grow their popularity a little bit. And when we get rain choice voting, I think they kind of automatically become a lot more viable. So I'd like to help out in that process. But if I'm in a swing state and it's Biden versus Trump, I'm at the point now where I don't even think.
Speaker 6: It's a tough call.
Speaker 4: I would definitely vote for Biden because either in that situation, even if other people are running, either the Democrat or the Republican is going to win. And in my estimation, Biden has definitely passed what I would describe as my bare minimum purity test. And I think if it's him or Trump, or even him or DeSantis or anybody, he just blows them out of the water. And so I think i'd happily vote for Biden that instance.
Speaker 7: Your response, So, I similarly was voting for Jill Stein in New York in twenty sixteen. I did the same, and I also happen to believe that strategically, it makes the most sense to apply pressure to the Democratic Party by voting for not Biden in a primary Marian Williamson is obviously the most progressive candidate in the primary, and then vote for Cornell Lesson in the general. And I know there are a lot of people in my audience who are frustrated by that plan because they think that it takes something away from Cornell West's run, or it affirms the Democratic Party in some way to vote for Mary and Williamson running as a Democrat. I don't feel that way. I feel it's a little hypocritical to have that position, given that we all just enthusiastically voted for Bernie twice in the primary the last two rounds. You can make a distinction saying that Bernie was an independent and he always identified as an independent, and Maryon Williamson doesn't have that kind of cloak of distance from the Democratic Party. You can say what you want. I don't see those things as mutually exclusive in the least, so that is also my plan. I differ from you only in so far as that I would say it's a more difficult choice in a swing state to decide what you're going to do. But I frankly respect people who feel comfortable. It has not been something that I have to contend with, but I respect people who feel comfortable voting third party, even in swing states. The reason is this, and it goes back to that early bad faith viral Noom Chomsky interview and which I asked him about a month before the twenty twenty race. Look, I said, I take your point. Let's say Trump is an existential threat. Let's say that he's a unique threat among all Republican candidates. My concern is that every year, because we all vote for blue no matter who, because most Democrats vote blue no matter who, are most left leaning people do, the message that gets sent out is that Democrats don't have a bar. You can go as low as you want, as close to the Democratic Party as you have Republican Party as you want, and there's a ratchet to the right effect. And Republicans know that they can keep being more and more extreme. And so I want you to explain to me what you predict to be the stopping point, which we're no longer to. We're no longer saying this new Republican is the worst that has ever happened. This new Republican is the worst that has ever happened. Tell me you're not going to be saying the same thing about Ron DeSantis or a big Ramaswami or whatever other person comes down the pike. And he was unable, in my subjective view, to respond credibly to that claim. So if somebody could could tell me strategically what the stopping point is going to be of making this argument of the lesser of two evils, I would be open to the idea that, Okay, this is the last one Donald Trump, Fine, he'd tried to steal the election. Fine, that is a new line that he has crossed. But absent and acknowledgement that we are creating our own destiny by lowering the bar in these ways, I'm not comfortable coming out and criticizing anybody who no longer wants to be complicit in that kind of a system that's enabled the Democratic Party to not have a primary, treat Mary and Williamson as bad as badly as they've treated her, treat Bernie Sanders as badly as they treated him, and openly come out and say and say they don't have to hold a free, fair election, the DNC argue that in court.
Speaker 1: You know, so let me explain a little bit of my position. I think that'll help respond to some of what you said there. And I'm also curious to dig in a little bit more to your analysis of how the Biden administration has actually been in reality. So, last election in twenty twenty, I did live in a swing state. I lived in Virginia, still live in Virginia, registered in Virginia, and it did not feel good to vote for Joe Biden. But I decided to vote for Joe Biden, which is something I said publicly at the time. But I said something very similar to you, which is like, listen, this was not easy for me. If you wherever you live, swing state, not swing state, et cetera, you do whatever you analyze is the right thing to do. And the reason that I voted for him, primarily at that time, even though I thought he had an atrocious record in the Senate, even though you know, complicit in the Iraq War, complicit and bad trade deals, complicit, like terrible things on crime, all that stuff, right, the primary reason I voted for him was because of the National Labor Relations Board and because labor politics and building out union power in this country, to me is one of the most important goals and something that I think we all share and leftists generally believe. Now in retrospect, not only do I feel good about that vote, he's actually surprised me. Now, I've got all kinds of issues right on the National Labor Relations Board though specifically, they just issued a ruling which could be a complete game changer for unions, And just to explain to people a little bit, basically, in the past, bosses could union bust with impunity, no accountability. Now the process going forward is completely changed. If bosses are caught union busting, then that's it. There's no more election, it's canceled. They have to recognize the union and start bargaining with them. That's the biggest shift in labor relations we've had in our lifetime. So that's why at this point I'm not only you know it's likely to I'm a Merryan supporter as well, but we can all see the most likely outcome is it's going to be Trump versus Biden. Not only would I say that protecting the Biden National Labor Relations Board isn't important enough for me to vote for Joe Biden, but it is important enough that I would actively encourage.
Speaker 5: But I'm not going to shame them for whatever they decide to do.
Speaker 1: But I would actively encourage people who are in a swing state to vote for Joe Biden, if for no other reason than to protect that board.
Speaker 7: So I think that's a perfectly defensible position. And I had this conversation on my podcast in the last episode, and there are people who would characterize that position as I mean, you've heard the thing, you've been on the internet, you know, being too credulous about Biden, or you know, being too comfortable in one's own position in life and not needing enough change and being happy with the status called people say things like that, I think, I think, actually that if your priority, if you believe the path to meaningful change is going to primarily come through a kind of I don't say this dismissively, but a kind of labor incrementalism, meaning there are meaningful labor gains that happen, but are not the type of which would radically transform the system the way that some people want to happen in a shorter term, and the way that some people might argue Bernie Sanders represented his movements as the goal of being Then that's a defensible position. But I also I have to hold space for the reality that there are people for whom, even as significant as those labor gains are, it's simply insufficient. And what they see when they look at the trajectory of the last fifty sixty years of Democratic Party politics, when they look when they read Listen Liberal and see the longer game, the Democratic Party making a concerted choice to back away from labor in a way that has gone on for decades. It isn't necessarily turning around as a consequence of Joe Biden having some good NLRB appointments.
Speaker 6: And it's so let me actually and then I want to jump into it.
Speaker 1: So Number one, I don't think that in like massively increasing union density, I actually don't see that as incremental change. I mean, if you look at the chart of the decline in the middle class and the decline of union density, it you'd be hard pressed to find a more significant factor.
Speaker 7: I've but I've made these arguments as well.
Speaker 1: But the other piece is I feel like those same pieceeople who are right about the Democratic Party, they were right about the analysis and listen liberal right about the fact that you had, you know, this free trade bipartisan consensus and in large part, a union busting bipartisan consensus. Also, don't acknowledge that there actually has been a notable shift in the Biden administration. Now, my big issue with the Biden ministry. I mean, there's a million of them right on foreign policy, I've got problems, But my biggest issue economically with the Biden administration is the way they've allowed the pandemic relief, the short term panic demic relief programs to fall away and leave a lot of ordinary Americans more in a more precarious financial position now than they were at the beginning of the administration.
Speaker 5: And that's not nothing.
Speaker 1: But when I look at the long term, when I look at the fact that listen, with the Inflation Reduction Act, with the Chips Act, with Infrastructure Investment, you're talking about industrial policy in a way that would have been completely unheard of in the Clinton Obama era. When you look at not just the NLRB, which I said is like the core for me, but also his anti trust appointments and the fact they're really trying to reverse decades of neoliberal attack on any sort of trust busting. I feel like none of those improvements that have made Biden on that front way better than Obama, way better than Clinton. I just feel like there's no willingness to acknowledge any of that whatsoever.
Speaker 7: I don't think the issue is acknowledging it. It's how much it matters to you, how weighty that is to you, and how much you see those kind of meaningful, find common meaningful improvements as really core to the nature of the project that you're on. And I think that what some people are frustrated by is that this went from feeling like, in both left media and left politics, a bigger revolutionary project that was going to the core of our capitalist system and wanting to radically change the way that human lives are valued, what we consider to be the nature of our social safety net, what we believe to be the nature of what we consider to be human rights. And they wanted to join a movement that validated what many of us felt intrinsically emotionally for most of our lives, that something in the milk very much wasn't clean. And Bernie came along and articulated that we were it was legitimate for us to be asking for something more, and so at this point it does feel as though there has been a kind of a bait and switch. It's not that what you're describing isn't true or legitimate. And I said this on my podcast. If your priorities are what you have kind of articulated your priorities as being I think it's a perfectly legitimate argument, but I have to hold space for the fact that for many people it simply is inadequate.
Speaker 6: Wait can I respond, h me, let me jump in here.
Speaker 4: So my issue is that many people on the left are i would say, dishonestly refusing to acknowledge any good things that were done.
Speaker 6: We could all on the left.
Speaker 4: List like, here's the fifty seven things we hate that Biden did, But when something good happens, I'm the only one talking about it, and then I get used to be in a DNC show.
Speaker 6: Now I'm not like, Look, I'm not blind.
Speaker 4: I think in order to be intellectually honest, you have to look at here's the good things that happen, here's the bad thing that happen. I'm gonna give them all to you, and then you could judge how much you value each and which one you way more and how that factors into your voting analysis. But I was like the poster boy back in the day, or people viewed me this way as like he's the purity tester. He's like the main purity tester guy. And I didn't vote for Biden in twenty twenty because I didn't think he would pass my purity test. Now at the time people could go back and watch the video. My purity test was super fucking lenient. It was like, if I'm convinced you're gonna do like two or three of the things that I value highly, then I would vote for you, because I know it's basically down to just the Democrat and the Republican no matter how much we want to wish the Green Party or libertarians want to wish the Libertarian Party into existence. And so when I look at the record again, I could list all the bad things. But you just mentioned the NLRB raising overtime pay, or you mentioned the thing where you know they automatically recognize the union if the bosses try to bust it up. There's also the overtime pay rule, where now it's not thirty three one thousand dollars, it's about fifty five thousand dollars a year where now you get overtime pay. That's a huge, huge change, student loan debt reduction. And even Biden, even coming back after the Supreme Court tried to slap it down and he said, no, I'm gonna try to do it through the Higher Education Act. Now there's little things we could go after. Oh the interest, right, yes, that's bad. I agree with you on that, but we got to recognize that that is all things considered a step in the right direction. Pulling out of Afghanistan. He actually had the balls to do it, even when the media was shitting on them relentlessly. And I didn't see anybody on the left coming into his defense.
Speaker 6: At that point. A lot of people have I was like, the only fucking one it was me.
Speaker 5: I definitely defended him.
Speaker 4: Okay, well then it's like three people I didn't and all these oh I'm so anti war, anti war. He pulls out of Afghanistan, and it gets it gets messy, because that's what happens when you pull out of bars and all of sudden, oh my god, you know.
Speaker 7: It's I thought the world good moment for the left. I saw a lot of consensus. Good good on you, because we were we almost resented and kind of were enjoying the extent to which he was getting, you know, dog pilot by the mainstream media, and we were the only ones defending him.
Speaker 4: So I would quible with that a little bit too much defending him. I really didn't what people.
Speaker 7: Are responding to. If I can offer this is not the idea that you are accurately describing advancements, good things that Joe Biden is doing. I think you could also say Obama did some good things.
Speaker 6: No, what Biden is way better than Obama. I your close.
Speaker 7: That's not the point I'm making. It's not that one is better than the other. You could also sit here and say Obama did good things. Now the way you bristled at me, say Matt, I could say, oh, why want you just acknowledge that Obama did good things? The same with that you're saying that leftist won't acknowledge. They bristle when you acknowledged that Biden did good things. And it's because we have different standards and we're making different kinds of comparisons.
Speaker 4: That's not my issue because they're not even acknowledging the good things is my point. I at least of forty seven things here, and I've heard nobody talk about any of them.
Speaker 7: But let me get to the core of this point. The reason that people are frustrated with that kind of analysis is because it's been used for so long by liberals to justify why people shouldn't be asking for more. I'm not saying that that's what you're doing. But if you bring up something like student debt, when the consensus of all the students experts that I've talked to on my podcast, people from the Debt Collective, the Astra tailors of the world, the legal experts I brought on, is that there was a path toward doing this, to canceling all student debt that would not have been steinied by the Supreme Court. The same authority that Donald Trump used to enact the student debt moratorium, which has been ongoing until the beginning of this month for the last three years, was the same authority that he could have canceled all student debt with the stroke of a pin. He chose not to do that because he decided to means test the program. He circulated those documents. I got one of my inbox last August I believe it was to see if you qualify for student debt. It was a very easy form. But when he did that, that sorted the clock for people to be able to challenge it in court, which what six states did. Two of them were successful, and now here we are today. Not only did he decline to do the unstoppable mechanism to actually cancel all student debt, he additionally chose to use a legal authority, which when many legal experts said, was the most vulnerable one. So you're now saying, no, no, no, he could have used the Higher Education Act.
Speaker 6: He did, he did, He could have.
Speaker 7: He could have done that in the first instance.
Speaker 4: But he didn't, and now he tried it again through the Higher Education Act. The idea that it's like it's a conspiracy. He doesn't want to actually cancel it.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 4: He he appealed the case like four or five times, and then at the end of it, when the Supreme Court said no, you can't do that, he said, fuck you, I can, and he did the Higher Education That's exactly what we wanted him to do. Then he does it and people go, oh, that's not good enough, and it's.
Speaker 7: Like that's that's ridicule Kyle. What we wanted him to do was first and foremost, just cancel the student No.
Speaker 6: No, I expected him to do nothing on student debt.
Speaker 4: This is the point I'm trying to get across to you, is that I expected nothing from Biden and he did way more than I expected.
Speaker 6: Let me be honest about that.
Speaker 5: Conversations, we have different expects.
Speaker 6: Talk about it through my expectations. I'm me.
Speaker 9: Let me.
Speaker 1: I want to pivot this conversation a little bit, because what we really have is a tactical does agree. We could quibble about student loan debt, he could quibble about all kinds of aspects of biden administration. All of us would like him to do more. There's no doubt about that. Our political but hold on a second, our political our political aims are ultimately very similar. But I do think the student loan debt example is instructive because it shows what has been effective in terms of securing real gains versus what has been ineffective. Jill Stein running in twenty sixteen, I don't think she was a spoiler, but the Democratic Party thinks she was a spoiler. They put that out to the public.
Speaker 5: So in the.
Speaker 1: Theory of change where a third party would force all of this revolutionary change on the Democratic Party. That should have worked, but instead it served to allow the Democratic Party to basically demonize and dismiss third party efforts, and then they prop up Joe Biden, so that definitely didn't work. However, the fact that Joe Biden had to be on a primary debate stage versus Bernie and Marianne and a whole lot of Elizabeth Warren, a whole lot of other people who were pushing him on student loan debt cancelation forced him into a position of doing something when he one hundred percent would have done nothing otherwise. And we can see that now because you know the fact that they've basically like blocked any sort of real democratic price process within the democratic price, Mary has made it possible for him to literally promise nothing for this next term thus far. So you can see how the third party effort was not successful in bringing about whatever revolutionary change people want to see, and the process that Bernie engaged in and that Mary and Williamson is engaging and now was far more effective in actually delivering results. And that's what I'm focused on.
Speaker 7: So, first of all, you, I think are both fundamentally dramatically overestimating and overstating and giving way too much credit in the second that you can make your labor point the student debt point, absolutely not. Joe Biden promised and coerced people to the polls by saying he was going to cancel at least ten thousand dollars of everybody's student loan debt and moreover, cancel all student loan debt for graduates of HBC used. And he went down to Georgia, I state that he not only needed to win for the presidency, but needed to win for the Senate, and where there are three of the major hbc us in the United States of America, made that promise, and people knocked doors and turned people out to the polls. The basis of that promise, which he immediately stopped talking about the second he got elected and renegged upon. He also knew, he knew the authority that he had to cancel law student debt. And I know because all of these student debt advocates have been talking about how they were directly liaising with his office and communicating these points, and they chose to ignore them and do a plan that he knew could be abstracted. You can say it's it's not a conspiracy theory, that's conspiracytorial thinking. But it's either a conspiracy or as an idiot. Those are the options, and I'm not especially comfortable and validating either of those things. Now, you you were saying that you are looking through the prism of your own perspective.
Speaker 4: I was saying I expected nothing from him, like we all expected nothing from him.
Speaker 7: Absolutely not the people that he expect from him.
Speaker 4: I expected nothing of Joe Biden. He was the guy who brought us NAFTA. He's the guy who brought us the Iraq War. He's the guy who wrote the Patriot, actor wrote the Wail of him.
Speaker 7: When a presidential candidate makes a promise to people and lies to them in order to get them to go to the polls, I believe it. It's my job as a member of independent media to make it clear so that people don't fall for those kinds of mistakes going forward. People, if Biden wants to run, is I'm a milk toast incrementalist who's just better than Trump. He can feel free to do that all day and night, and then he would have lived up to the expectations that he set for himself.
Speaker 6: In the context of run campaign Milk Toast, he.
Speaker 7: Promised to cancel all student debt for every graduate of an HBCU and ten thousand dollars to twenty thousand dollars of student debt for people who earn less than one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars a year. Now, that might not matter to you, and and I've defended, I defend, I've offend you guys against claims that you know you don't care about this stuff because you know you're out of touch and it doesn't affect you in material. I think that some of those claims get really silly and overly personalized. But Biden made a choice to tell forty four million Americans who have student debt that he was not only going to not fulfill his promise to them, but that in the middle of the debt ceiling argument of a couple of months ago, the one thing that he was going to bargain away to get the debt ceiling pass was ending the student loan moratorium. So now it's not me, I'm not I'm not the one in control of whoever votes he has to make the case of those forty four million Americans, who's who's he's starting their student debta?
Speaker 4: Right stronger or weaker than what you expected, because it's way stronger what I expect nothing from amongst the real.
Speaker 1: Question though, is we all want all of the debt to be canceled?
Speaker 10: Duh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course what is going to most What is the most likely path to get us there? And honest, hold on, but I don't see how Cornell us getting five percent of the vote and unintentionally helping to re elect Trump that doesn't get us.
Speaker 7: There at all? Get into that.
Speaker 1: So whereas if you have a primary contender actually able face to face to pressure him, we have feed in the way that can potentially.
Speaker 7: Work armast Cornell.
Speaker 5: It doesn't have to be exclusive.
Speaker 1: But do you think that the project defeating Trump is worthwhile at all? Because I would turn back on you ask the question like where's the bottom of the lesser evil?
Speaker 6: Question?
Speaker 5: Like where where does that end?
Speaker 1: I would turn it back on you and say, where does it become not just a lesser evil, but like, actually, this.
Speaker 5: Person is significantly better?
Speaker 1: And I would say that Biden for my disappointments with him, for all of the things that I talk about plenty, including disappointments on student loan debt, including on the pandemic relief that I talked about, including on the real waste, all these things, right, Ukraine, At what point, though, do you acknowledge that this person is a lot better than Donald Trump? And so when you're in this binary choice where let's not pretend like Cornell West is going to be president of the United States, it is worth making the choice in that situation to reelect Joe Biden and get the NLRB, and get the antitrust stuff and get what is at hand to be gotten in this moment and live to fight another day.
Speaker 7: So everyone, Crystal, somebody might say, and people did make this exact argument against Bernie Sanders. Fine, he's on the stage, but I'm not going to vote for him. I'm not going to weaken the person who's ultimately obviously going to be the present United States. I'm gonna why not vote for Biden in the primaries? Why And it's you're wrinkling your ball because it's a ridiculous argument. This I completely agree. I don't see the argument for Marianne and against Cornell West. They have nothing to do with each other. You can you can vote for Marianna in a primary. You can be happy that she's on the debate stage, which obviously aren't allowing, which is material to this argument. I've got to say, some people are You're saying, what is the Green.
Speaker 9: Party going to do?
Speaker 7: The Democratic Party has demonstrated that it won't host a free and fair and open part.
Speaker 1: I get that, But how does Cornell West getting five percent of the vote and helping unintentionally to re elect Trump?
Speaker 5: So how does that move us towards our So two things.
Speaker 7: One, you said this in the now viral clip that just framing Cornell West as the spoiler. Looking at those poles in those polls that you referenced, Biden is losing in both of them, with or without Cornell West in the race.
Speaker 1: Now Cornell West makes it worse. I just want to clarify one thing. I'm not blaming. People are saying like it's their fault for Trump getting reelect or whatever. But I am saying, we would like it if the way the Democratic Party responded to Cornell West would be to cancel all the student But we know that's not reality. So we know that what ought to happen and the reality of what will happen are two very different things.
Speaker 7: Let's get to the second point. Yeah, you framed the twenty sixteen votes for Jill Stein and the reaction of the Democratic Party subsequently as evidence that a concerted movement effort to withhold one's votes has been proven ineffective. It is obviously the case, Crystal, that there was not a concerted effort in twenty sixteen, or any kind of structural movement to withhold one vote for Hillary Clinton in favor of Jill Stein. It was just a bunch of us angry Bernie bros. A very small number, by the way, because we all know sitting here that more Bernie Sanders voters in twenty sixteen benthony and vote for Hillary Clinton than Hillary Clinton voters in two thousand and eight benthony and voted for Brock Obama. We all know these statistics. We've been saying them back at neo liberals for the last five six whatever years. That being said, there was no argument to control the media narrative and present an opportunity for actual leverage and change. So there wasn't like a group. There was no spokesperson, there was no politician. There was no left media that was saying here, I have an organized movement, an organized group of people who are willing to actually change their mind and vote for the Democratic nominee and exchange of various concessions that didn't exist. And I'm, by the way, not advocating for it. I know that some of my friends, like Nathan Robinson, have said that Cornell West should do exactly that, say that he'd be willing to drop out and exchange your various concessions. I think that's better than nothing, and that's more than Frankly, I love Marianne and I hope she's successful, but that's more than Marianne is likely to get out of this. However, that is not even my plant, that my perspective.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: What I am saying, though, is that, knowing that the Democratic Party is fundamentally not willing to be fair to rig the election, they're willing to change the order of the states, they are willing to completely block marian out of the media, it feels rich to say that running within the Democratic Party is manifestly and demonstrably more effective and actually changing the out.
Speaker 6: Because of the structural barrier.
Speaker 7: Then Cornells, who at very least. You're keeping very dismissive Kyle about this match.
Speaker 4: Well, I've said like two words in the past ten minutes. Okay, so I'm not being dismissive about anything. I haven't gotten a fucking worder.
Speaker 7: Okay, what's what is it that you're champing.
Speaker 4: The structural barriers against running as a third party is rigged as it is by the DNC against outsider Democrats, which it definitely is. It's even more rigged against third parties, which is why they always get like three percent of the vote.
Speaker 6: Literally, Bernie got forty three percent of the vote.
Speaker 7: Which is literally why people feel it is a structural advantage to get someone like Cornell Wes to five percent of the vote so they can get federal matching funds.
Speaker 6: To me as the voter thirty percent as a Democrat, for me.
Speaker 7: As a voter in New York, I'm not interested in shoring up the Democratic Party.
Speaker 6: No, that's him getting his ideas out of it's shoring up Cornell.
Speaker 7: I am not a Democrat.
Speaker 4: I understand that, that's very clear. But I'm saying that would shore up Cornell West.
Speaker 7: And the people who also don't want to vote for Joe Biden under any circumstances, are not Democrats, And fundamentally you can make her argument. I think it's the perfectly legitimate argument to make two democrats. I think that Democrats might think that Joe Biden is a manifestly better Democrat than other Democrats.
Speaker 1: It's not about whether you're a Democrat or a Republican. It's about what are your political goals? And I think that how you share a lot of the same political there's a big one that we do. But hold on so I still don't understand. Just lay out for me, like what in the ideal scenario happens, and how does that constitute any sort of revolutionary change or help to further the goals that we largely share.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think, for one, getting federal matching funds for third party candidates, since I believe third parties are going to be a much better vehicle to actual meaningful change in this country than the Democratic Party, is infinitely more significant a goal.
Speaker 5: But the parties having gotten a single electoral vote, and it's.
Speaker 1: True because I mean, look at Rossboro had all the money in the world, it didn't matter.
Speaker 4: Don't you agree that ran choice voting needs to come first? That's the important question. Do you agree that if we get rank choice voting, then yes, overnight third parties become more viable.
Speaker 6: Do we get them? It's they're not viable.
Speaker 7: I think that Cornell West, running in a in a general election where he can, he has been doing this. He's been talking about raine choice voting interviews, but continuing to talk about how the onus is on the Democratic Party to prevent the spoiler effect. He is in a position now running in a general election. Every time he goes on TV to say, if you're upset at meet at being a spoiler, you need to look at the Democratic Party, who across the country for the last decades, has been purposefully undermining any ballot measures that effectively put into effect rank choice voting in Maine, in North Carolina, the way they attacked Matthew Hoe. I am not the enemy they are. And that's the burden shifting, the narrative burden shifting. I think the left should be engaged in right now to the extent that you think that Cornell West can ruin Biden's chances. Isn't it Biden's responsibility to find those votes not among disaffected third partiers who he doesn't who don't owe him anything anyway, but the tens of thousands of millions of disaffected Democrats who aren't going to vote for him. We've all talked about this together. In Wisconsin in twenty and sixteen, there were eighty eight thousand registered black voters who voted in twenty twelve who declined to vote in twenty and sixteen. That's like two or three times the margin by which Hillary Clinton lost and Matt stayed alone. And you know, we're sitting here talking about whether or not Cornell West is going to pull some third party voters away, but I can the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: It's the difference between what I would love to happen and the reality that we have experienced now. I mean, we've we tried it before in twenty sixteen. It did not help what they.
Speaker 5: Tried in twenty sixteen, the third party effort.
Speaker 1: Jill Stein was not a spoiler. It is not those voters fault who voted for you, like you guys that voted for jill Stein, but.
Speaker 4: She got blamed and that was further marginalized as a result of it.
Speaker 1: So I just I don't see the connection. If I did, I would love to vote for Cornell West. It would feel way better to vote for Cornell West. I share his politics almost one hundred percent, but I don't see the connection between voting for Cornell West and achieving any of the aims. And I see a much more direct connection between protecting the Biden Natural Labor Relations Board and allowing this little budding, exciting, amazing, potentially transformational labor movement to actually grow. Whereas if Trump gets re elected, which is listen, it's the fact, based on how the Democratic Party is going to respond to Cornell West's election bid, it is more likely that Donald Trump gets elected with Cornell West in the race, And that to me is a massive lust because we know what his record is, we know what his National Labor Relations Board we was, we know who his labor secretaries were and how they were engaged in all this union busting, and so I see a much more direct connection between that moving the ball in our direction. Then you know, Cornell West getting five percent and either his candidacy not really mattering at all or being used once again to you know, smear the left and marginalize the left and say these are just the people that are interested in getting Trump elected, so.
Speaker 7: To that second point, I'm gonna be honest, not only do I not care about arguments of the left is going to be smeared. I think it's silly because no matter what we do, the left is going to get smeared. Burning one Nevada and it was, oh my god, we're going to decapitate people in Central Park.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 7: It is, I think deeply unrealistic to expect that there's ever going to be a left movement that genuinely challenges power in this country that's not going to be smeared. And if you are choosing your political strategy on the basis of what's going to get you a pad on the head from MSNBC and I know this, I'm not That's not what I'm not. I don't mean to mischaracter raise you, but that is.
Speaker 1: But I'm not saying, listen, that's fine, and I agree with you. Left is going to be smeared, But the question is what is actually going to.
Speaker 7: Move a ball?
Speaker 5: And I just don't matter because I don't.
Speaker 6: See his policy is all the matters.
Speaker 1: See how Cornell West getting five percent and helping to reelect Trump owns up with things going like.
Speaker 7: That, Crystal, he doesn't. He gets five percent, and then the Green Party a third party effort, it gets stronger and more well funded and more able to compete in future election.
Speaker 4: So we have ranked choice voting, there is no even one percent viability for them?
Speaker 6: Can you admit that? Can you acknowledge that? I think that it's.
Speaker 4: Until we get ranked choice voting, no third party has any chance in hell?
Speaker 6: You agree with that?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 7: Think has been doing most of the rank Who do you think.
Speaker 6: I can answer? It's a simple one.
Speaker 7: Can I answer it in my own time, in my own words, Kyle, respectfully?
Speaker 4: The simple one, the rank choice voting thing. If we get rank choice voting, may I go around.
Speaker 7: I do a lot of podcasts, and I don't know what's going on right now. It might be the phase of the moon. We had the double moon last month. But I'm getting a little frustrated with feeling shut it down and disrespect it in every single space that I go into. I gotta say, I promise I won't to answer your your question. K sit tight, I got it coming for you.
Speaker 6: I'll sit tight.
Speaker 7: I who do you think has been doing the bulk and the best funded ranchoice voting advocacy? In terms of getting it on ballots and getting a past the United States of.
Speaker 6: America third party voters.
Speaker 7: The Libertarian Party, Yeah, because unlike the Green Party, I'm no like fan of the Libertarian Party, but for obvious reasons, they were enormously better funded than the Green Party, and they, as a consequence, have been able to make much greater gains and actually getting ranked choice voting passed around the country. What I'm saying is that there's a tangible material benefit to getting more money for a Green Party, whatever third party happens to be. But right now all we have is the Green Party, for obvious reasons, getting them more money to do the work across the country to advance third parties ranchoice voting rather is exactly the goal that you're articulating. So yes, I do see a direct connection between your goal, your stated goal of getting rankedchoice voting and voting for the Green Party. You know who's not going to fight for rank choice voting, the Democratic Party.
Speaker 6: Here's my point.
Speaker 4: Here's my point there there's not even a one percent chance or a point one percent chance of Cornell West winning unless or until we get ranked choice voting.
Speaker 6: So I have to be honest.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's self disenfranchisement to really like put all your effort into third parties before we get Raan Chos putting the car before the horse. In my opinion, that's my point. And on the issue of Democrats versus Republicans, we know either the Democrat or the Republican is gonna win. And clearly we have a disagreement in terms of how good of a job Joe Biden is doing, because, like I said, I expected nothing of him, Brianna, I expected this is the guy who brought the Iraq War and the Patriot Act in NAFTA, and he's like the poster child of the conservative, Democrat and the neoliberal. But then he gets in office and he does all these things which shock me. He massively reduced the drone war by over ninety percent. He like I said, pulled out of Afghanistan. The Supreme Court overturned the EPA's ability to regulate greenhouse gas emissions, and the Democrats slipped into the ira A provision that redefines carbon as a pollutant, which then allows the EPA to start protect in the environment again. If we didn't get that, and yes, that was brought to us by Democrats, we would be beyond fucked on the issue of climate change. We still are, but we'd be even more fucked if the EPA couldn't do basic EPA stuff. We have project labor agreements for hundreds of thousands of construction workers that came to us from Biden. Fifteen dollar minimum wage for federal contractors and employees that's from Biden. Gun and reform with red flag laws, and closing the Boyfriend LOOPOL those are definitely good things. Katanji Brown Jackson on the Court, a George Floyd executive order to create a Registry of abusive cops. We have the Pack Act, which is healthcare for veterans exposed to toxic burn pitch, which every single Republican voted against. He added eight hundred thousand manufacturing jobs. I didn't expect any of these things. So when I talk about Biden, the way I do is because none of these things were on the menu and we got them. So now when I look at the fact it's either going to be Trump or Biden, a standard generic Republican or standard generic Democrat, the way I feel now versus the way I felt in the past is like, oh, this is definitely way better. If you asked me in twenty nineteen or twenty twenty, I'd be like, I don't know, man, flip a coin fifty two percent. Maybe a Democrat's a little bit better than a Republican. Now I'm looking at it like it's not even close. One blows the other out of the water. And all I care about is the policy. And when we have all these policies, I mean, we have a fifteen percent corporate minimum tax rate. Now that is not something we had previously. You'd have corporations paying nothing in taxes, or they'd even get a negative tax rate, which is a subsidy effectively from the taxpayers. These things are not nothing. We have a one percent tax on stock buybacks. They're cracking down a wealthy tax cheese. Like, all these things are very good. They're objectively good. So do you agree that Biden is better than what we expected on the left?
Speaker 7: Maybe you've already said that your expectations on the ground, and it seems like he's surpassed your expectations. He has not surpassed mine. I don't know what you want.
Speaker 6: Me to say, but he's not better than what you thought.
Speaker 7: It's not better than what I thought he really let.
Speaker 6: Me know to be better than I did for sure, well.
Speaker 7: I expected him to. Well, I didn't really expect him to fulfill his pan campaign promises. But I'm not going to pat him on the back when he's so flagrantly light about them.
Speaker 2: Now, there's been a lot of talk by elon Mosk about free speech and about how and when to bow to the wishes of authoritarian governments, censorship and all of that. But one case that we definitely wanted to highlight is what's happening with Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 3: Let's ahead and put this up there on the screen for people who don't know.
Speaker 2: Saudi Arabia is a place where Twitter and or x I guess is now currently known, is extraordinarily popular, It's very important in Saudi society, and currently there is a lawsuit going on right now that says that Twitter and or x is helping Saudi Arabia actually commit grave human rights abusers against its users, including by disclosing confidential user data at the request of Saudi authorities quote at a much higher rate than it has for the US, UK and or Canada. The lawsuit was actually brought last May by arij Al Sadhan, the sister of a Saudi worker who has forcibly disappeared and sentenced to twenty years in prison. Surrounds the surrounding infiltration of a California company by three Saudi agents, two of whom were posing as employees in twenty fourteen twenty fifteen, and led to the erec of the brother and the exposure of the quote identity of thousands of anonymous Twitter users, some of whom were later reportedly detained and tortured as part of the government's crackdown on dissent. They have now updated their claim last week to include new allegations how Twitter willfully ignored or had knowledge of the Saudi government's campaign to ferret out critics, but because of financial considerations and efforts to keep close ties to the Saudi government, which is a top investor in the company, provided assistance to the Kingdom. Now clearly what they actually said is that this was under the leadership of them chief executive Jack Dorsey. The question though, is how Twitter the company will be actually handling this as we go forward, and especially important in the light of what's currently happening right now. Let's put this place up there on the screen. A Saudi man has just been sentenced to death after his tweets were criticizing the country's leadership. Saudi activists say that his tweets and his retweets were presented as the evidence of his so called crime of insulting the case or the Crown Prince and then supporting a terrorist ideology. So what you can see here, Crystal is the analysis of the case is the guy had ten followers and he mostly retweeted posts critical of MBS, and now he is being literally sentenced to death. He is the father of seven and a retired teacher. There's also a question here about how they got his user information because he ran two anonymous accounts on the site. On x he was not a public account. So all of this is really important around how Elon is going to be handling not only such requests, but is he going to speak out against what's happening here, against this man getting sentenced to death for something he did on your platforms completely insane Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and this is super relevant because put this last piece up on the screen. Saudi Prince all will Lead is Twitter's second largest shareholder. Saudi government officials have become incredibly significant in terms of funding Twitter overall, which is why you know, always when a government is pressuring a social media company to do whatever, that becomes a very complicated set of issues for whoever.
Speaker 5: Is running that company.
Speaker 1: But when you have a lot of cash involved as well, it makes it even more difficult. There's actually a lot of layers to this because, first of all, Jack Dorsey, one of the areas where he has been critical of Elon Musk, including on our show when we interviewed him, was about Musk's approach to government requests with regard to the platform, and Dorsey had to have tried to have more of a consistent at that level sort of free speech principle where it wasn't just about okay, what are what areever the laws of the land are, That's what I'm going to abide by. Elon has explicitly stated he has a different view, which is that whatever is legal in that country, whether they have a dictator or whatever the situation is, that's what they're going to abide by. That's what he used to justify, you know, censorship of I Believe, as a BBC documentary about India, about the Indian Prime minister. That's what he used to justify the censoring of an investigative journalist in Turkey. That's been his sort of like Okay, this is my guidelines, this is how I operate. So number one, since this happened under Jack Dorsey, you can see how even with his stated principles, clearly he wasn't always living up to what he was claiming he was doing. And number two, you see in the case of this man who's being put to death because of something he said at Twitter. I mean, this is a really dramatic case in point test of the Elon Musk principle of like, okay, well, if this is legal in Saudi, are you just cool with it? Like even when it's you know, people are being rounded up and sentenced to death for exercising, you know, the most basic understanding of free speech.
Speaker 5: Are you still.
Speaker 1: Okay with that if it is technically legal under that jury? I mean, I think that that's a poor standard to hold.
Speaker 3: It's a terrible sting, but.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what he has articulated to be his guiding principle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's incredibly dumb.
Speaker 2: Look, this is the problem with owning Twitter, with owning or x with having a platform which engages in speech and then holding ideals here and trying to balance business and all of that. He willingly stepped forward into it with a free speech quote absolutist position. So I mean you're supposed to abide by that. Just saying you're going along with government regulations, I mean then, and you know, every dictatorial government on earth will just pass whatever, you know, thing that they want you to do, and you're just going to do it. That's not how we should American companies should operate, and if they are well, we should absolutely change the lot.
Speaker 3: In order to make sure that they don't do that.
Speaker 2: So anyways, lots of interesting stuff going on here, but first and foremost, just what a ridiculous and barbarous decision or to slaughter somebody, probably behead them publicly for the crime of.
Speaker 3: Posting posting anonymously your ten followers.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable, unreal.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll see guys later. Hilarious moment.
Speaker 2: In a recent new interview with Trump, he wanted to debate, not do the GOP debates somebody else.
Speaker 3: I'm not even going to tease it.
Speaker 12: Let's take a lesson ninety million people and the only thing. I think that might draw an audience that even approaches that would be if you were to sit down with the Duchess of Sussex, Megan Markele and Prince Harry. They don't like you much, would you do that for the ratings?
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know that that. On nightbe I said that I don't think they're very appropriate what they're saying, what they're doing. And I didn't like the way she dealt with the Queen. I became very friendly with the Queen. She was an incredible woman, ninety five. She was so shocked, she was one hundred percent. When you watch Biden, you said, this is a different planet. But they treated her with great disrespect and I didn't like it. And I didn't like the idea that they were getting us security when they came over here. Now I think it's it's not a good situation going on with the two of them, But I didn't know that they don't like. Somebody mention it might be possible they wouldn't be the only ones.
Speaker 12: But I mean that would get ratings, wouldn't it.
Speaker 8: Oh, if you want to set it up, let's set it up. Let's let's go do something. I'd love to debate here. I would love it, all right.
Speaker 2: I need this to happen obviously, First I need Trump to do the actual GP debates too. I think it's good democracy, et cetera. But I need to see this debate. I mean, it's just it would be such great content. And yeah, I just there's so much to say. I mean, for me, everyone knows. Look, yes, it's it's true. I can't stand Megan Markle or Prince Harry. I think they're complete narcissists. Of course, the South Park episode on them nailed it the whole we want privacy thing. They are so lazy as well. After the revelations about their Spotify deal, where I mean, I just can't imagine that, Crystal, you having somebody else sit in for you and do an interview and then come in and record your voice on top of that. That's so crazy when you're getting paid millions of dollars and they were doing this like one a week or something like that for their pod. So anyway, I just thought it was hilarious. It was one of those where it will never happen. I kind of wish it would happen. It would be like a throwback to the old days. But Hugh Hewett is not wrong that a lot of people would watch it. So they watched the interview.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was such a like random question but up getting response.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know what made him think of that, but it ended up getting an incredible response. I mean, listen, I don't even know what to point to make I kind of disagree with you. I don't know that I could handle this thing, like there's just no one to cheer for. It would be facing content, but I just don't know if I could take it. So I'm hoping this remains in the land of fantasy.
Speaker 3: Really, oh no, this would just be incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean, it'd be one of those She's so she's got the same thing that Commas got going on that like Aaron sorkinesque, like wants to be a world historical figure. My favorite story about Magan Markle was apparently it was during the Child Task Credit or something like that, not Child There was some legislation where she was and she somehow got the individual cell phone numbers for US senators and would cold called them and they'd be like hello, and they're like, this is Megan Markle. I'd like to and they were like, who, like, what makes you think I care what you think about this legislation literally at all.
Speaker 1: I just like I don't really care, Like I generally.
Speaker 5: Find them annoying, but like that's as deep as it goes.
Speaker 1: But there seems to be this deep vein on the right of just absolute hatred, obsessive hatred of these two people who have no real power. There's sort of like cultural media dilettants, and don't I don't really understand it, Like I don't really understand why there's such a thing around.
Speaker 2: I think that there was the attempt the media creation of like the nart to embrace and to like to embrace and to respect the narcissism fundamentally of Megan Markle and Prince Harry who were trying to destroy a one thousand year old institution just because they.
Speaker 3: Thought they were better than them.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I find that just like you know, as a semi traditionalists, like with respect for norms and all that, I find that just like deeply offensive. I think that there's a lot of stuff that you can say about the Royal family of legitimate critiques, and I don't think any of theirs was real or it was real really at all, and like.
Speaker 1: The Trump people are not really known for their like respect for norms.
Speaker 2: Yes and no, I mean I think that there is like a reverence so to speak for I don't know. I can't explain. I can only tell you why I can't stand her. And I think a lot of it is media as well.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I mean, the car.
Speaker 2: Crash is the most famous thing where I mean people credulously you know, looked at it and basically people credulously took them at their word that they were like in some harrowing car case or any of these when they're clearly just looking for attention. And I don't know, for me, it's like there are certain figures her, Jesse Smollett and others where, you know, just even that temporary willingness to take them seriously just is one of those where I cannot stand them. They repel me in such a repugnant way that I just, I don't know, I a cheat, and I'm totally willing to admit this.
Speaker 3: I have Megan derangement syndrome. Yeah, absolute drives me crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't really, I don't really get it. I have to be off. I don't really get it.
Speaker 1: Which is part of why, like you know, wouldn't be eager to actually see this thing come to fruition because it just would feed into this What I see is like complete sort of obsessive, unhinged relationship with this one random woman.
Speaker 2: So fair enough, and you know, it would be healthier if we could all just forget that she existed, although for her that would be the worst thing.
Speaker 5: That's not what she's looking for.
Speaker 3: We'll see you guys later.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 10: I'm Matt Stoler, author of monopoly focused Substack newsletter Big and an anti trust policy analyst. Have a great segment for you today on this Big Breakdown. It's about the first big anti trust trial of the twenty first century, which starts next Tuesday, against the search giant Google. I want to start with the picture of an octopus. Since eighteen ninety there have been a few big Monopoli trials that have shaped the biggest corporations in America, So starting with Standard Oil around the twentieth the turn of the twentieth century. So this is a cartoon of that corporate behemoth. You couldee standard Oil written on the top of the octopus's head and America. And there's a reason for that, Americans have traditionally symbolized with monopoly power as an entity with tentacles reaching out everywhere, hence an octopus. It's actually still a good metaphor today. So Google, which had which is worth almost two trillion dollars in terms of its total value, has a lot of tentacles. It knows more about most of us than our families because it answers intimate questions from billions of people every day. It controls much of our communications. To boot, it has ninety five percent market share and search annual revenue of a little less than three hundred billion dollars a year in fifteen products with more than five hundred million users apiece. We've perhaps never seen any corporate asset as power full as Google. Search marketing professor Scott Galloway in twenty seventeen he went so far as to say that quote Google is God. Okay, So why is Google on trial and what does this trial signify? Well, Google is on trial for violating antitrust law, which means, in short, that it has an illegal monopoly. The government argues that Google controls roughly ninety to ninety five percent of general search and search advertising, and that it has used this remarkable market share monopoly share, using illegal tactics to keep rivals out of the market unfairly. Now, Google, of course disagrees, but we'll get to the details of the case in a bit. But let's ask a different question. So does this case really matter? Let's put it in context. Don't powerful corporations always win? Doesn't big money always carry the day in America? In fact, no. Historically, anti monopoly has been the pro business tradition in America, ensuring equality in the marketplace. And to understand what that means, it helps to look at previous antitrust cases involving the biggest corporations in the world at the time that they were held. So there have been a few big ones that are as historically important as the Google case. So there was Standard Oil in the eighteen nineties, Alco in the nineteen forties, IBM in the nineteen seventies, EIGHTE and T in the nineteen eighties, Microsoft in the nineteen nineties. And these cases are almost always against high tech firms that control a key sector in the economy, so Oil in the eighteen nineties, telecommunications in the nineteen eighties, operating systems in office productivity software in the nineteen nineties, win or lose, they determine what our society looks like going forward. Now, most people think technological progress is due to scientists and engineers figuring stuff out and innovating, and it's sort of true, but it's also due to law. Want to know why we even have the Internet? Well, one reason, and an important one, is that in nineteen eighty two, a judge named Harold Green ruled to break up AT and T, which had historically tried to control its network tightly and probably would have tried to block things like dial up modems from being attached to its network, and certainly did block a lot of stuff prior to the nineteen sixties. So you could see a memorial to the AT and T case when you walk into the DC Court building, which is the same one where a judge named am Meta is hearing the Google trial, so you can see it. There's a cartoon on display as a man in a robe tangled up in phone courts. That's a cartoon of Harold Green. He was an extraordinary man. So he was born in Germany. In nineteen twenty three, fled the Nazis, enlisted in the US Army during War two and then went to night school. After the war, he ended up at the Justice Department, where he helped draft the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, And in nineteen seventy eight Jimmy Carter put him on the court as a district judge. That's where he heard the AT and T case. Now, so Green was no fool, and he was no fan of corporate power. He ruled against AT and T and sought the goal. Sought to fulfill the goal of quote deconcentrating AT and T's vast economic power. The guy had been up close with the Nazis. He was not intimidated by a large corporation. And the thing about it is, at the time there a lot of people said, Oh, this is terrible for the country. It's going to hurt this great corporation that everybody loves, very innovative Bell Labs. But in truth, the breakup really delivered. Telephone rates came down for consumers, but far more importantly, there was a massive explosion of innovation, including in all likelihood the development of the Internet and mobile telephony. The judge in the Google in the Google case is named Judge Meta. He's pictured here let's take a look. No Meta is now in this same position as Judge Green, able to shape a future to all of us or just to Google. But in contrast to Green, Meta's career tracks very much like most of our technocratic elites. Now. He's an immigrant, but he grew up in his suburb of Maryland, worked at the big lfew firm Lathan and Watkins for a few years of training, he was and then he was a public defender in DC, and then he served as a white collar defense attorney. Metta doesn't, as far as I can tell, how a strong record of recognizing the threat of concentrated corporate power or an instinctive skepticism of the powerful. And we can already see some problematic choices from Meta, and I'm going to focus on Mata. I'm going to do a few segments on the Google case. I'm going to focus on Meta because judges really go unexamined in our culture and it's important to change that. They are political actors. So Google executives, including its CEO Sundar Pichai, have been found in multiple cases, including this one, of destroying evidence related to potential anti trust violations, essentially deleting chatlock. So chatlog's involving discussion over antitrust show that quote. Pachai personally asked whether a chat group's history could be turned off and then attempted to delete that message end quote. Now that is that is a big no no. Okay, you are not supposed to destroy chat logs and anti trust late related or monopoly related evidence. You just don't do that. That's illegal. And in California a judge actually sanctioned Google for this behavior. They levied penalties on Google and its lawyers. But so far, Judge Meta has not. Now, I don't want to overstate the problem. The judge has ruled reasonably well in an earlier merger case. He might do something about the document destruction, but that's who he is. So that's the judge. Let's go a little more into the case, which is all about something called defaults. Right, That's how Google controls its market power. At least that's what the government argument. The government says that Google's monopoly in search is illegal, and it has maintained this monopoly not by making a better product if you notice there's a lot more ads in Google Search today, but by locking down everywhere that consumers might be able to find a different search engine option and making sure that they only see Google instead. So here's a slide that the Department of Justice include in its complaint in twenty twenty. So it is the default search engine Google whenever you open your phone or whenever you open most browsers. As a result, when you use Google, you are giving Google some data which it can use to improve its search engines and which it's more importantly, its competitors cannot. Now the basic claim is that Google has essentially bought up all the shelf space where people might find a different search engine. It pays forty five billion dollars a year to have distributors refuse to carry its competitors products, signing deals with Apple, Motorola, Samsung, major US wireless carriers like ATTT Mobile, Verizon, browser developers like Mozilla, Opera uce Web to secure default status for its general search engine, and in many cases to specifically prohibit Google's counterparties from dealing with Google's competitors. So that's the case, and the big partner here for Google is Apple, which receives something like ten to fifteen billion dollars a year for placing Google as the default search engine on the iPhone and the Mac. And this revenue is really important to Apple. It's basically Apple and Google sharing monopoly profits. Apple is fantastically profitable, but still fifteen billion dollars is a lot of money. And that's just in the US. Now, here's a story that came out in the Financial Times in twenty twenty when the Apple case was filed. Apple is in fact preparing its own search engine in case it's deal with Google falls apart due to this case. In other words, if the government succeeds, will have more search engines and competition in this market, because at least Apple won't enter. Now it should be a slam dunk case, and not just because Google search has become much worse over the last five to ten years, packed increasingly with ads and poor results. To understand why this case makes sense, look no further than the experience of Niva, a search engine whose quality was as high or higher than that of Google, but died a few months ago because it just couldn't get access to customers. Niva, according to David Pierce in The Verge, was running an aproduct. So that's the most innovative that artificial intelligence a full stack search engine and a privacy first browser. If people went through all the bother of switching, they became converts. Pierce wrote. The problem was that very few of them managed to make it past the thicket of default settings and redirections. Now, I actually used Niva and it was a good search engine. But as all defaults are set to Google, they're an endless number of screens encouraging people to set their search engine to that of the search giant. So Neiva, despite its quality, despite its differentiated lack of ads, could not get in front of potential customers, and it died. These default settings and redirections are what's on trial, because that's what killed Niva, and that's what prevents anyone else from investing in the search next search competitor. If Google is found guilty and disciplined reasonably by being broken apart or having a choice screen imposed, or some other set of remedies, then the new technologies of machine learning AI you will actually be deployed in a competitive marketplace. That's new. Rival search engines can try different things, and we'll see immense possibilities open up, similar to those after the AT and T breakup. The future of telecommunications was not obvious in nineteen eighty two when that breakup happened. It only happened because of the breakup. There's actually a good amount of evidence on that as well. And that's true historically with all of these old antitrust cases. Okay, so far, I've laid out the arguments in the case in the historical context.
Speaker 13: But what about Google?
Speaker 10: What do they say about the allegations? Google has a case. Google's essential argument is that search is about economies of scale and that it owns the whole market, not because it's a predator, but because consumers simply prefer its search engines to rivals. Let's go back to the Department of Justice slide on defaults, because this argument works both ways. Now, Google would say that it might engage in behavior to exclude competitors, but it needs to do so to get the day to improve its search engine. Fundamentally, Google argues its ability to exclude others is a good deal for America. The exclusion is the price of this great search engine. In other words, consumers love Google. They love the search just so much that its monopoly is legal. That's Google's argument. Now, my view is that Google is Google Search is not as good as it used to be. It's not as good as it would be if it were disciplined by competition. Google is coasting. Essentially, it produces an increasingly shoddy product. There's an economist in the sixties. He said a great line. She said, the best reward for a monopolist is a quiet life. That's what Google is at this point. So as one Googler who left the company recently put it, quote, Google has one hundred and seventy five thousand plus capable and well compensated employees who get very little done end quote. Google used to be magic, but that was ten years ago. Today's search is full of too many ads, crap results peddled with Google's because of Google's own self interest. So here is what the Washing Post noted in twenty twenty. The Internet Archives wayback Machine stored some Google search results over the years. When we look back, a picture emerges of how Google increasingly fails us. There's more space dedicated to ads that look like search results. More results start with with answer snippets, sometimes incorrect, ripped from other sites, and increasingly results point you back to Google's own properties, such as maps in YouTube, where it can show more ads and gather more of your data. Many judges believe what executives say, and so judge Meta is likely to hear from Google CEO that economies of scale are all that drives product quality, and he may buy that. The judge may believe that, and I actually think Google executives believe it as well. Still, such an argument isn't really any different from what every monopolist has always argued. Standard Oil discussed how it brought cheap kerosene to the masses at and T stressed its awesome quality and universal service. Alcoa said that its control over aluminum was a result of its focus and dedication to America. IBM talked about how much it innovated and developed the computing industry. Monopolists always believe they are serving humanity, but Congress made it clear by passing antitrust laws that monopolies, whatever they may say or think, are not actually doing that. And the evidence from Standard Oil's breakup leading to the development of gasoline to the lawsuit anti trust lawsuit in the sixties against IBM creating the modern software industry suggests that Congress was right. Depending on what happens, there may be additional time spent on a remedy, or the case may go on appeal. Indeed, Judge Meta is not the only person who matters here. He does decide the whether Google is guilty initially. He decides the remedy initially, but the case is likely to be appealed, probably all the way to the Supreme Court. And if the Supreme Court judge Meta the DC Circuit, the Supreme Court erodes into trust case law against Google so much that this giant search monopoly that's obviously a monopoly. Everyone knows it's a monopoly. If they say, well, this is not the monopolization laws don't apply to this monopoly, even though it's giant controls all this information, controls society in many ways, then Congress will be confronted with the reality that it is hard to use the existing antitrust laws to address dominant corporate power, which is what they were written originally to address. As witnesses testify from Google executives to rivals, we're about to learn an enormous amount about how the Internet developed, how advertising is sold, and why decisions about what we search for happen the way that they do. It's pretty disconcerting. That so much key evidence was destroyed by Google, and the judge hasn't done anything yet, but this case will still be a massively educational experience for the public, for the industry, and for Congress. Indeed, a tidbit that came out on a hearing last Friday is that Google is actually a posing having a public feed in the courtroom, whereas the government actually does want a public feed. Apparently the search giant doesn't want the public to be able to hear the arguments and evidence at hand. I guess that sometimes Google is concerned about privacy. Well, the thing is is that if I were Google, if I were Google executive, and I wanted to maintain Google's monopoly, I wouldn't want this information to come out either. I mean, I wouldn't want I would want the public to know as little as possible about my business. But that is in many ways what these anti trust cases are for. To learn about how our markets work, to learn about whether firms are using coercive market power or whether they are competing on the merits whatever happens. Reviving laws to constrain corporate power does take time, as people within many institutions have to change their mind and come to grips with the choice of living in a free society or one that is dominated by monopolies and is much more authoritarian in its commercial structure. Sure, unfortunately that change is happening in September October, so that is this month, starting on Tuesday, we're going to start to see some of the fruits of that change, and hopefully Judgemta will live up to the legacy of the DG District Court set forty one years ago by the courage of one Judge Harold Greed. Thanks for watching this big breakdown on the Breaking Points channel. If you'd like to know more about big business and how our economy really works, you can sign up by going to the link in the description below for my market power focused newsletter. Big Thanks and have a good one.
Speaker 14: Axios is out with a new survey if we can put this element up saying they polled what's two hundred and thirteen computer science experts from sixty five different universities and ask them who would be the ask them number of questions, but number one, who would be the best to regulate artificial intelligence going forward. Also asked questions around whether or not or when AI might escape human control and what the best way we can fore close or stall that that event is. So, as you can see here, the number one recommendation from these computer science experts emily is a basically a Department of AI or some type of agency underneath a Department.
Speaker 13: Of AI, like the AI.
Speaker 14: Protection Board, something along those lines that doesn't require Congress coming in whenever there needs to be some kind of nimble movement. Rather, the agency would be able to respond and also would be able to say regulate companies that are engaged in AI would be able to kind of examine what they're up to, why, what its potential implications are for human civilization?
Speaker 13: What do you make of this?
Speaker 14: This idea from size that we need the regulation we need is a new federal agency.
Speaker 9: You know, there's so much disagreement in AI world.
Speaker 11: There are experts who say this is only going to be for the benefit of humanity. There will be some downstream costs, but in the net it's going to be to the benefit. All of the fears are overblown. And then you have experts, I mean people who have worked intimately on this technology who say it terrifies me, and it is already kind of out of the box. There's really nothing even in regulation at this point. Basically like game is already lost. It's a matter of time. We can try our best to do what we can do, but like the game has already lost. And I think this also reflects that level of disagreement. I think we're going to see that level of disagreement come out in really important sort of forums that Chuck Schumer, who by the way, is himself like very deep into tech world just based on his own connections. He's very much sort of connected by family. I think his daughters are both in the tech sector. So what his you know, motivations are, whether he has incentives to do the right thing on tech I think is an open question. But he at least has been having people who are sort of familiar with the technology chirping in his ears, saying that you need to take this seriously. I feel like we're going to see those disagreements come out just next week when he has all of these tech experts here in Washington, d C.
Speaker 9: To give their own sort of takes on AI.
Speaker 11: One of the things that really stood out to me with the survey is that respondents from axios, they say, express greater worry about discrimination and bias resulting from AI, so forty two percent. Then about the risk of mass unemployment that only bothered twenty two percent of people. I think, you know, there's serious concerns about both of those issues, But I mean, come on, that you have that level of disparity twenty two percent only worried about employment versus discrimination and bias up at forty two percent.
Speaker 9: I don't even know what to like.
Speaker 11: I don't even have trust in the AI experts to be worried about the right things and the level of disagreement I think, in this survey and in others about how serious the problem is.
Speaker 9: It fuels that.
Speaker 14: Right, right, it's it's these guys are useful, and they're mostly guys in the sense that they have some understanding of the way that it works. But when it comes to their ideas about how it ought to be handled and what its implications are and where where it fits into the kind of human and civilizational experience, those those those contributions aren't particularly I think useful. That that's that's more in the realm of you know, the democratic control that you know that currently operates through our politicians, right, but you know, ultimately is supposed to come from you know, the people who are then able to then you know, enforce their will over these over these machines. The one area that I feel like the alarmists are missing is that there's more to.
Speaker 13: AI than just lines of code. Like behind those lines.
Speaker 14: Of code, are you need energy like you need like they have to run on something and that requires material resources from around the world to create the energy, the batteries, the other the other things that you need to make the cloud run, make make the technology run.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I think uh, some of these a lot of these computer scientists, they show up for work, they flick the lights on the Internet's working, like they're they're not thinking about the way that you there's there are actual massive servers relying on enormous amounts of energy and and just human production that is not necessarily infinite and how the which which then means that there are limits to what the machines are capable of outside of a relationship with humanity and also with you know, resource allocation and resources that exist in the world.
Speaker 13: So I think there.
Speaker 14: Is they are getting a little ahead of themselves in the sense that they can't I don't quite see how machines can do all of that if there isn't the raw materials out there to make it hum Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, and so another thing that stands out to me from this is three percent of respondents responded that the private sector should it is the best entity to regulate three percent, And that I think is a big thing carrying into and especially for conservatives libertarians who have very good arguments by the way, about hampering development when China is currently working really hard to develop all of these different advanced llms. Whether or not they're capable of those a different question, but like it is, that's a legitimate concern, especially if they start exporting it to the developing world and other places like that.
Speaker 9: I get it, I understand it.
Speaker 11: At the same time, however, when you have only three percent of these experts saying the private sector is the best entity to regulate AI, that tells me when this comes to the desk of Capitol Hill next week.
Speaker 9: It should.
Speaker 11: It should be a pretty glaring signal that so regulation which we have essentially none of. Now, there are some laws on the books that can be applied you know, through the legal system through challenges, couldcept precedent for how we deal with AI that's true. You know, there's there's patents, there's all kinds of different things that could be applied to this.
Speaker 9: I get it.
Speaker 11: But at the same time, we have virtually no regulation of AI right now. It's it's a consortium of people who have been coming in and out of the White House industry that has a close relationship with the government saying we're working on this right now. Of course, big industry loves to be regulated because it hurts their competitors sometimes, so we'll see some of that coming into play. The good old bootleggers and what's the phrase bootleggers and you know talking about it, Yeah, which is a legitimate thing.
Speaker 9: Like some of that's gonna happen.
Speaker 11: But when this comes to Congress, like they should know they have to do something.
Speaker 9: Something needs to happen.
Speaker 11: There has to be some basic framework that isn't you know, that isn't going to kill us in comparison to China, but isn't also going to literally.
Speaker 14: Kill us, right, which then hopefully can lead the rest of the world. Yeah, so all right, the US is doing this, like, let's let's do this too, because they don't know, they don't want to blow themselves up either.
Speaker 11: Well, it's the other thing where it's like we actually have to all it's the thing where you have you know, Winston Churchill talking about the framework for the United Nations after nuclear technology atomic weaponry is developed and saying there has to be something something, some level of international cooperation on these questions because like the climate, for instance, what happens in China affects what happens in the US in a way that is inextricably intertwined. There's no way we can take those two things out. It's the same thing with atomic weapons. So yeah, with nuclear weapons. So when you're looking at AI, there has to be some level of global cooperation too, because if people in China can use AI to hack American websites, we can do everything we can in the United States and only prevent that to an extent.
Speaker 14: Right, and especially with the way that kind of voice mimicry is expanding exponentially. You used to think, well, my bank account's safe because you can't I got two factor and you can't change you know, my password that way, Now you know, if people can call and fake your voice, like, then all bets are off, right, So and if and if on if there's artificial intelligence answering the phone on the other side as well. Then it's just robots against robots.
Speaker 9: That is the future.
Speaker 11: Basically, that is the future, and that will just be in our matrix pods the rest of us, Like, we'll just.
Speaker 13: That's where the resources come from.
Speaker 14: At least the matrix felt with that question, like where do the actual resources come from?
Speaker 13: Right, And their answer was from the people.
Speaker 9: This is a problem with bitcoin mining too.
Speaker 11: I mean these like bitcoin minds were like using a crazy amount of energy to mine the crypto. Yeah, you know, there's always a Once you think you've solved a problem, you've only created more problems.
Speaker 9: There you go, Russian nesting dolls all the way down.
Speaker 13: Indeed, pus An
Speaker 6: Injected the sy