Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Coast to Coast, George Nori with you. Bill Douglass back with us. Author, novelist, poet. His books on Mind, Body, for Health and Life Transformation are based on his forty plus years of teaching mind body and many of the world's largest health systems, corporations, schools, and prisons. Bill is the founder of two global movements, World TIChE Day and the Global Transformation Project. His websites are linked up at Coast TOCOASTAM dot com.
Speaker 3: Bill, welcome back.
Speaker 4: How have you been, Hi, George good. It's so good to be back and talking to you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about you about your second edition book of the Gospel of Science of Mind, blowing new science on ancient truths to heal our stressed lives and planets. And we surely need to do that right now, don't we?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: How'd you get involved in all of this?
Speaker 4: Well, I other had post traumatic stress disorder from World War Two, and so after I had my own kids, I started getting therapy, and the therapist he just happened to work at the VA and so he understood I was dealing with PTSD, and he asked me if I'd ever tried meditation or mind body practices, and I'd never really, and so but then he sparked my interest, and so I enrolled in a class and it just made me feel so much better that I stuck with it. And then I just did it for myself for years and years and years. But then at some point people started asking me, you know, what I was doing, and if I would teach them, and so I started teaching classes and then eventually I started my first hospital class, and that's that's where everything changed. That's when I realized that mind body practices can well. According to doctor Herbert Benson at Harvard, they can prevent or treat between six ninety percent of the health issues that send us to the doctor, and that was backed up by a Kaiser study that found that about seventy percent of the health issues sending people their doctors were caused by stress.
Speaker 2: I believe that is there a science behind this bill or is there something else?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's tons of science behind it. Now. We kind of looked at these mind body practices is kind of a mystical thing. But as science is becoming more effective and able to see things in bigger ways. What we're starting to realize is that these things are actually high sciences. And you know, it's like a lot of people sometimes in the classes, they think that mind body practices like meditation, tai chi chi, going yoga, mindfulness, they think that they're kind of, you know, esoteric, mystical Chinese and Indian things. But actually what they all do is they all bring the brainwaves into what's known as an alpha brainwave state, and that's the most natural thing in the world. In fact, when we were children, we were in an alpha brainwave state, a meditative state up most of the time up to about age seven, and then that's when we started to lose touch without ability, and when we were young, that's when we healed much faster, and it's also when we learned at an incredibly accelerated rate. And so what the Indians and the Chinese did through the development of yoga and taichi and chigong and things like this meditation, is that they created these really effective mind body sciences that help us regain that youthful ability that we had as children. So it's really just a real natural thing.
Speaker 2: You nearly died several years ago. You weighed down to one hundred pounds. What the heck happened to you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it was a common nation of things I was going through. It was just a horrific stressful period in my life on many levels. And unfortunately, when we're going through those kind of things, it's hard to you know, get yourself to do the mind body stuff, you know, because you just kind of wanted to distract yourself. But I wished I would have stuck with it and you know, and really kept doing it. I think I could have avoided a lot of what happened. But anyway, I did it. Yeah, I got really sick. I had an intestinal block and I ended up having to go to Mexico for like emergency surgery because you know, like many small businesses, I couldn't afford health insurance. And so I went down to Mexico and I had the block removed, but they wanted me to stay down there for six months to do chemotherapy, and I just couldn't do it. I couldn't do it financially, and you know, I mean, it just wasn't going to happen. And also I was so weak, you know, I was so weak. I didn't know if I wanted to go through with that. And so I just came back home and I just poured myself into these minds body practices and I just got stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger. And so today I'm almost sixty eight, and I think I'm about as strong as I've ever been in my whole life.
Speaker 3: Did you have cancer at the time, Yeah, it was malignant.
Speaker 4: It was an intestinal block that was malignant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And how did you heal yourself?
Speaker 4: Well, I, you know, I started, you know, lots of lots of vegetables and you know, natural things. But I just threw myself into the mind body practice and you know, and it was strange too, because I was teaching them at that time, you know, that was my career at that time, but I wasn't doing them. And in fact, when I first started teaching, my teacher gave me a little warning and she said she told me about a chigong master in China and he had gotten really sick and he discovered chigong and it healed him. But then he started teaching it, and when he started teaching it, he stopped doing it himself. He was only teaching it. And that's what I did. I did exactly what my teacher warned me not to do. And so then after that happened, and I went through that and I came back from Mexico. I just dedicated myself to these things and it was transformative. I mean, it just it heals us on so many levels.
Speaker 3: Bill tell us what consciousness means to.
Speaker 4: You, Well, it's our awareness. You know. What we tend to think is we tend to think that our consciousness is whatever we're thinking about. But when we practice these alpha brainwave state practices, these meditative practices, what we start to realize is that our awareness is just simply being aware. And so we actually do exercises in my classes where we just practiced just letting our eyes unfocused, where you're seeing everything but nothing in particular, and then it's an easy step from there to teach people how to just kind of let your mind on focus where you're present, you're feeling everything, but you're not focused on any one thing. And then that's when your brain weights start to go into that healing alpha wet state.
Speaker 3: And when it does, what happens tons of things.
Speaker 4: Our immune system gets profoundly boosted. There was a UCLA study with Taichi that showed that the Taichi practitioners had nearly fifty percent more helper T celles than the control group did. And T sales that's our front line of immune defense. And in fact, during the pandemic, there was a study and what they found was the frontline healthcare workers who had high T sale counts were much less likely to contract COVID than their co workers who had low T sale counts, and if they did contract it, they were much less likely to have severe symptoms from And that's just only you know that immune boosting, although that's a huge thing, especially today, you know, we should be teaching kids how to do that. But also at the same time, it's making your brain larger and more effective. It's increasing bone mass and connective tissue. You know, it improves your hard health. It really virtually every every aspect of our health is improved. And that's one of the amazing things because you know, like I've had doctors come to my class because they had hypertension, and while they were you know, literally curing their hypertension through the classes, they were also finding out that their coworkers thought that they were way easier to get along with, so it was, you know, it was improving their lives on multiple different levels. And in fact, one of the physicians that was in one of my first hospital classes, he was so amazed because there were a bunch of doctors in there and they were getting off of hypertension meds. There was a surgeon that got off of chronic pain meds and she had limited mobility from a whiplash injury, and she gained full mobility, no more chronic pain or anything like that. And he was so amazed seeing everything and the benefits that he was getting personally that he actually quit the er and he started his own naturopathic medicine practice that's still very successful all these years later.
Speaker 3: That's truly remarkable. Is it a miracle?
Speaker 4: It feels like a miracle, George, I think it was. Oh, it was some famous science fiction writer, Arthur C. Clark. He said that magic is science that we don't yet understand, and it seems like magic when you're experiencing the benefits of these things. Now it's gradual and progressive, so you know, you start doing it, you know you feel better when you do it. But the benefits it becomes cumulative. You know, It's like they grow as you do the practices over and over again.
Speaker 2: You have said that science shows that we can reduce wars and conflicts in the world.
Speaker 4: How Yeah. One of the things that happens when we go into an alpha meditative state is that our empathy and compassion parts of our brain actually get larger, physically larger, and the stress and fear parts of the brain get physically smaller. And so one of the things that happens when you teach people in a community or in a corporation or a city. In a city, what they found there's been really large studies, and what they found is if they bring in an equivalent of one percent of a city's population of high level meditators, they reduced the crime rates significantly. In the Washington DC study where they collaborated with the Washington DC Police Statistics.
Speaker 3: Department, was Lynn McTaggart's study, I think, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: I think it might have been Lynn McTaggart's study. I'm not positive about that, but I have it cited in the book so you can if anybody gets the new second edition of Gospel Science, I have it all with live links so they can go find it. But they brought the violent crime rate down I think twenty three percent. And what was interesting was that there was a correlation because they didn't bring in all the meditators all at once. They were coming in gradually, and there was a correlation. As the number of meditators increased in Washington, d c. The crime rates corresponding correspondingly descended. So the violent crime rates correspondingly descended. And this has been replicated in many studies. They did a study in forty eight cities and they brought the violent crime rates down in all forty eight of these study and the effect lasted for five years after the study wasd So we could be saving so much money. And I actually I actually taught Taichian meditation at Folsome prison many years ago, and I thought that I was going to be introducing the prisoners to mind body practice. But when I got there, I found out that they had already had a Taichi cha program, which is a kind of a tai Chi Chi gung meditative program, and they'd already had it for two years. And what they one of the inmates had looked at the prison statistics over that period of time, and he was like an assistant teacher. He was really dedicated to the program. And he said that the violent incident rates had decreased, not only for the meditating group, but for the entire prison. And you see this replicated in appadacta prison in Mexico. They had one of the most violent presidents incidents in modern Mexican prison in history. And they talked the whole prison how to meditate all of them, the warden, inmates, the guards, everybody, and they haven't had a violent incident rate since that happened. Why does it work, Well, you know, it goes right to the core of everything, and the core of everything is consciousness. And you know, and quantum physicists said the same thing, the early quantum physicists that discovered, you know, the energetic nature of the universe and the nature of the universe. Yeah, they said, consciousness is behind everything. And we see that in the research. In fact, there was research at Princeton Engineering and Omily's Research Laboratory, and what they found was that people's consciousness could actually physically affect physical reality.
Speaker 3: Are we dealing with the bodybill or outside of it?
Speaker 4: Well, when the consciousness goes into alpha state. It has this harmonizing effect and that affects us on every level mentally, emotionally, physically, and on this energetic nature, because that's what we are really when you get down to it, you know, we're just made of energy. But what's interesting and amazing is these ancient Chinese and Indian researchers they understood that, they understood that we're made of energy and that this energy field that we are, this consciousness that we are, it can get tangled up and nodded, you know, from unmanaged collecting, you know, too much unmanaged stress. But then they also realize that through a combination of visualization and breathing exercises you know, that make up these meditative practices, that we could actually relax this consciousness or this energy field that we are, and then everything starts to function at a much higher rate. And you see it expressed in all kinds of ways, you know, because I've been teaching in hospital settings for thirty five years. Like for example, just recently, one of my students, they had put her on a medication and I don't know what it was treating, but the side effect of it was that it would diminish bone mass, and so they were monitoring her bone mass very very closely, and her doctor was amazed because during that time she was actually increasing her bone mass, so instead of losing it, she was actually increasing her bone mass. And her doctor said, what are you doing? You know, how is this possible? And she said, well, I've been doing Taichi and she vung in meditation through the hospital program because they teached through the University of Kansas Hospital, and I want to tell your listeners about this in a little bit because the classes are free. But anyway, he was stunned and he said, you know what, he said, you should you should tell people about this. And I started laughing when she told me, because doctors, doctors should be telling people about this. And all the doctors that were in my classes years ago that got healed from this, they all we all thought that, you know, thirty five years later, because it's been about thirty five years since that happened. We all thought that every doctor in the world would be writing mind Body right at the top of every prescription pad. But they don't. And it's because our health system is just pharmaceutical driven.
Speaker 2: It sounds a little like the practice and teachings of Jesus and Buddha, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's one of the things that I get into in the Gospel of Science, the New second Edition, is that when you you know, the main tenance of all the major religions is compassion, connection, forgiveness, gratitude, those kind of things, and what the science shows. And I have all this meticulously noted in the Gospel of Science. And also I wanted to mention the New Gospel of Science second Edition or the Gospel of Science second Edition. It just came out in audible just in the last couple of weeks, and so it's so easy to listen to it while you're driving. It'll change your life. It changed my life, you know, doing all these being thrown into all this science and throwing myself back into the mind body practices. But uh, I'm sorry, I kind of watched track of what you had just asked for.
Speaker 2: We're talking about that sounds like the practices of Jesus and Buddha, yes.
Speaker 4: Right, and uh and and so as I'm looking at all this science, uh, it's like bringing back my religious background because I was raised in the Lutheran Church. Because one of the one of the things and and we teach all these things in our in our classes. Again, we've got free classes. I'll get to that in a little bit. But Uh, one of the things that uh science has discovered is that when we really enjoy, you know, just the simple things in our lives, when we stop and smell the roses, when we enjoy the feeling of our body, when we're doing yoga, tai chi or chielong. Yeah, these mindfulness practices, they call it gratitude consciousness and gratitude. When we're in a state of gratitude consciousness, it's profoundly healing. In fact, it's so powerful that they can actually see molecular changes in the heart and the brain when we go into those states. So you have that gratitude consciousness, you know, and you know, all the major religions told us to be grateful. And then the other thing is faith. There was a study, a twenty year study with thousands of people, and what they found was that the greatest indicator for the people's future health and well being was their vision of their future health and well being. And so all the major religions profits that founded them, they all emphasized how important it was to have faith. And so if you look at this science, you start to realize that if we have faith that everything's going to be okay, it tends to be okay. That's what the science shows.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com more