Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: He's a Republican candidate for the Commonwealth. Brian Shortsleeve, always associated with the MBTA, is with us this morning, Brian short Sleeve, how do you rebottl William Weld for two thousand and twenty five, I'll.
Speaker 3: Be with you. I'm a surveillance listener every morning at seven am.
Speaker 1: Now Here's what I can tell you is you.
Speaker 3: Know this state of Massachusetts a state I love, I've been in all my life. We have a history of electing Republican governors, you know, Bill Weld, Charlie Baker, Mitt Romney. I think Massachusetts works better with balance. It works better when you have a businessman in the corner office. I'm a businessman. I spent most of my life building businesses. I run a venture capital firm. We help small businesses.
Speaker 1: Grow in scale. And you know, businessmen have to balance a budget.
Speaker 3: You know, they live in the real world, and I think we need some in the corner office now.
Speaker 1: Now, who knows how to how to create jobs?
Speaker 2: Is mister Trump? It it vanded for you within Elizabeth warrens Massachusetts or do you run away from the president.
Speaker 3: You know, this race is going to be about local issues. It's going to be about more Heally's failed records. Governor, I mean, let me tell you some about Massachusetts. We haven't created a single private sector job in this state since January of twenty three.
Speaker 1: Think about that, Not a single private sector job. It's a stunning number.
Speaker 3: This is a state that between twenty ten and twenty twenty was the fastest growing state in the Northeast and was always at.
Speaker 1: The top around job creation. But there's been a huge change here. It is due to packs and spend policies.
Speaker 3: Governor Heally ran on the largest tax sit in state history in twenty two and we're now seeing the effects of that.
Speaker 2: Is ourn oldest Chapman pitching for the Red Sox a private sector job?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Bryan, Brian, what's for you?
Speaker 4: Kind of heading into this ratio, what's the top talking point for you? What's the number one itle on your agenda?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I'm a marine officer, spent four years in the more after college.
Speaker 1: I'm a businessman.
Speaker 3: I know how to create jobs, i know how to balance budgets. So my focus is getting the state and moving again from a private sector standpoint.
Speaker 1: What that means. It means cutting taxes.
Speaker 3: It means cutting fees, including all those state mandated fees that are now running through people's electricity bills and making the state.
Speaker 1: Too expensive to live in.
Speaker 3: We've got five hundred people a week leaving Massachusetts. We've got businesses and students leaving Massachusetts. We got to turn all that around, and it starts with cutting taxes, cutting fees, and then getting our state spending under control.
Speaker 4: So we think about one of the big items in the news here has been in your town of Boston. Harvard getting a lot of challenges from the Trump administration as it relates to funding of some of the research they do at Harvard. What's your view on that.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I go back a long way at Harvard.
Speaker 3: I went to Harvard as an undergrad and I went on an ROTC scholarship. So when I was at Harvard in the mid nineties, the faculty was trying to run that campus, run that program, that ROTZI program off campus, and terminate relations with it. So that was one of my early political fights in life, was the fight to protect ROTC at Harvard. So as we look at Harvard, you know, you look at Harvard today you know, Harvard's a critical part of our local economy, as is BU and MIT. What I would tell you is, I think we need a governor that can have a seat at the table and can sit down with this administration and get to a good outcome for Harvard and MIT and be you here, and I'll tell you what's not helpful. What's not helpful As a governor who is grand standing, who's going on CNN and the New York Times and poking the president in the eye. I don't think that's good for Harvard. I don't think that's good for Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Across this nation. Bloomberg Surveillance who welcome all of you today special good morning to ninety two nine FM in Boston. Joining us Short Sleeve of the MBTA, Brian short Sleeve. He's the latest candidate for governor, a Republican from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. What are the skill sets that the MBTA you have? It will make Democrats and independence vote for you that the present governor doesn't have. What's the process skills step you learned trying to keep the traffic straight at ken Moore Square.
Speaker 1: Well, I stepped into the NBTA.
Speaker 3: It was after the snow Mageddon of twenty fifteen, there were one hundred inches of snow on the ground and that system had failed. Governor Baker asked me to take a couple of years of my life away from the business world and step in.
Speaker 1: It gave me a mission.
Speaker 3: His mission was balance the budget, get the capital spending moving, and rescue the Green Line Extension project.
Speaker 1: So I think what I.
Speaker 3: Demonstrated in those two years was the toughness of a marine.
Speaker 1: I'm a fighter.
Speaker 3: I know how hard it is to drive change in big public agencies like the TEA, and.
Speaker 1: I'm very proud of our record there.
Speaker 3: We developed, We delivered the first balanced budget the TEA in more than a decade. We delivered record low operating expenses in that green Line Extension project, which today Tom will take you from downtown crossing right out to Tufts University. It's a great project that was dead in the water back in twenty fifteen. The FEDS had funding, it was a billion dollars overdue, and we got it done and turned around.
Speaker 2: I cut to the Chase Bill Well, didn't have to deal with woke Boston. You have to deal with woke Boston. You know, the people's republic in Nantucket. You know the drill better than I do. Brian short sleeve. How are you going to get woke Massachusetts to vote for a Republican this time around?
Speaker 3: Well, Massachusetts does better with balance, and I'll tell you historically having a Republican governor in the corner office has been a good thing for the state.
Speaker 1: I'm traveling everywhere, I'm talking to voters.
Speaker 3: I'm getting a great response from donors, and what they're telling me is, we got to cut taxes. We got to cut spending, we got to cut fees, we got to get the fiscal house in order here because it's become too expensive to do business in Massachusetts and that's what's driving people and businesses out of the state.
Speaker 1: So I think people want change. We want to go back to being a growth state.
Speaker 3: We don't want to be tied with Illinois for the lowest private sector job growth in the country, and unfortunately that's where we sit today.
Speaker 2: Nobody cares. We just head you on for one question. Should Devers play first?
Speaker 1: I would say yes, but that's a very controversial question.
Speaker 2: That's why we're asking. We're trying to make news here, Brian, I say yes, there we go.
Speaker 3: They're pain enough.
Speaker 2: He's killing it. What comeback?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Brice short sleeve, thank you so much, of course, with the MBTA forever in Boston and now candidate Republican candidate for governor the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.