Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Think's the thing that sucks up roll call in the virtual sense is but yeahs, you know, like if everybody just went around did their thing without the yas.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's the fun part, some part of roll calls laughing at each other's roll call.
Speaker 3: We played it, but the guests did. There's live but obviously recorded so they can hear it.
Speaker 4: We played back.
Speaker 1: They figure it out.
Speaker 5: Figure it out?
Speaker 1: All right, My good people, Welcome to another episode of Quest Love Supreme. Life's great rabbit hole, as I've been dubbing it. My name is Quest Love, your host, and of course we have your supreme effect. We got lia Yah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have to say, Layah, you're in Los Angeles right now. How how's it going for you out there?
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 3: I'm scared to answer that question.
Speaker 4: I will say this.
Speaker 1: We are allowed by the time this comes on air, you know, by the.
Speaker 6: Time that comes on air, we'll be allowed to eat outside again. Because I hear that we were the only ones on the country that couldn't go outside. Look at these nails, couldn't get I went to a black market nail salon. They had a black curtain on the window yet a knock on the door.
Speaker 1: This is what we're doing, an underground doing. Yeah, be careful, all right. When I last spoke to you, it was one in thirteen people. Now it's one of eleven. I don't want the number to go down the lane. One in seven.
Speaker 6: We're getting better, We're getting better.
Speaker 1: Be careful, all right, sugar, Steve. You cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I'm in the same city you are, New York.
Speaker 1: We're yeah, but things are problem for you. Got a new network, a new show, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everything's going fine for me personally, but you know, city's a mess, country's a mess.
Speaker 1: Whatever if we've always been a mess, man, But you know that's that's.
Speaker 3: When you share was last month. Don't do that.
Speaker 5: I'm not scared.
Speaker 1: Hold me, hold me anyway. I built the bar in my garage.
Speaker 5: Oh you ordered online.
Speaker 1: That I ordered online? Set up right. It has neon lights and ship Yeah. Yeah, I needed something to do, so I did it. Just a one of one. You have a bar for one? Yeah, my kids sit at it. It's a little misdirection. Yeah, you want to keep your kids away from the bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're going to go that way.
Speaker 2: Just want to be able to drink in every single room in his house, including the garage.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so we do COVID. We well, shit, one episode, we just might have to take over Drink Champs and you know, bring up bring out the alcohol here. Absolutely, West Love Supreme. You know, was that a plug? I see Layah frowning that I gave another podcast a plug. Anyway, how's it down in North Carolina?
Speaker 5: Man, I'm goodle bro, Which it's good. I mean, they trying to open up the schools. Wait, they thought about doing it because the kids had they testing, like the state tests, and I didn't send my son. I was just like, fuck that, like hein going, and they were just like, well, he can make it up. We'll try to make it up later in June whatever. I said, whatever, he ain't going. And literally the next day after we like when we pulled him, we was like, cause he's been home the whole time. Literally the next day they had like two cases pop up. And it's been they we do it now, but we pretty much get texts and emails from the principal every time a new case. And for about the past like two weeks, I've getten. It's been a new case, like every day yep, and so I'm you know, we've been in the house, man. I mean I still do my walks around the hood and everything. But I'm cooling, bro ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: We have a distinct honor of dissecting and exploring the third rail. We're bringing of one of the most I will say, probably one of the most feared, respected and astonishing mcs. Don't I don't want to use bad colloquialisms when describing great you know, they always say, like, this person is a monster. Oh man, he's a killer. No, probably an assassin. Yeah, yeah, no. I feel our guest today is probably one of the most beautiful things about the culture of hip hop be it as one half of one of the most loved duos of the mid nineties with Organized Confusion. His own catalog is nothing to sneeze at. He's constantly pushing the boundaries of what one can do in this art form. He's usually the favorite of your favorite mcs. I don't know if that's a tired cliche, Like I wonder if mcs get tired of hearing themselves being.
Speaker 5: Nah nah man. That's an honor. I mean, that's respected. That shows you respected by the people. They really do the craft, you know what I'm saying, And that's I mean, that's the highs honor.
Speaker 1: Well, he's here with us today, so please give it up for the one and only Pharaoh munch To. Yes, that's what I hear.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to see it.
Speaker 3: But where are.
Speaker 1: You right now?
Speaker 4: I'm in the basement of the house and Queens, just chilling out through a wintering mix of snow and ice right now, And like Fante said, man, I take my walks and then it's back inside. You know, I'm compromised because I'm mathematics. So I just been like.
Speaker 5: Same here, bro, Yeah, yeah, same here as well. I can't I can't wuk around.
Speaker 1: So you've been loyal to Queens this entire time for your whole career, pretty much.
Speaker 4: I moved. I moved out to l A for a couple of months to work on stuff and it was cool for a couple of months, then to Brooklyn and then back to Queen. So I'm back in Queens.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I know that our audience cannot see your zoom right now, but I will. Yeah, I was gonna say of all of our guests on the show. You probably have the most interesting background right now, well next to biz at least you have a very interesting action figure collection behind you right now.
Speaker 4: Like I kind of lost my mind during this pandemic. Like I said, I've been diligent, so all I could do was like all the stuff and go crazy. So I went batshit crazy with the action figures and it kind of work. Man. They keep me kind of stable, man. I love my action figures. There's some rare pieces that I caught h Cat on Instagram, who I followed. H put me onto a lot of a lot of different dope joints and a lot of different companies, and I just lost my mind, Like I just got these, uh these air Jordan's for my Miles Morales in the Male just now, like you know, so I just.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait a minute, Jordan's. You're dressing up your action figures in Jordan's exactly. And they're just as they're rare to get as well, they're hard to get.
Speaker 4: They're hard to get. They just they just redid a couple of companies who do them custom for the for the you know, Miles Morales, Spider Man.
Speaker 3: Please tell me, please tell me they're at the same price as.
Speaker 1: No no no, no, no, no no, yes, it's just five hundred dollars. Not no, that's interesting. So like your your your your passions with the action figures, any anything else in the in the pop culture kind of barrel.
Speaker 4: I'm not a collector, a little bit on the sneaker side, but I calmed down with that. You got a little bit ridiculous. I'm not ahead, but I will catch a couple of pieces if it's if it's something interesting. But this during this whole thing, man, it's just been movies and action figures and action figures.
Speaker 5: What's the last joint? What's the last joint you saw? Movie? Vise that talking?
Speaker 4: I mean, I've been watching a lot of stuff over and over again on repeat, revisiting, revisiting, and what I really really blew me away was the Mandalorian series. Okay, that just took me. You know, I waited so long for the Star Wars series to get good, and I never thought it would, and the movies were starting to get so disappointing. But then this series was just like it was. It was good and bad in a way. I felt like I had the wait waits I get got this old for them to get this good with it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, So mandalorian Is is worth investing in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna ask you when died it get you? Like when it was? When it?
Speaker 1: When it?
Speaker 4: The was it?
Speaker 3: Episode one?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 4: It was off the rip like I was, I was shining away from getting that the Disney app. I'm like I'm not. Yes, Then everybody kept talking about it, and uh, yeah it was worth Mandalorian is worth getting that for It's that good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna make a suggestion, bro, if you have a chance, whenever you get a chance, check out the sound of Metal. I think you would love it.
Speaker 4: Oh that's the that's the joint where the drummer loses is hearing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, what that ship? Oh my god, wait, lew a story again? You know, like for real? Nah, it's uh, it's your boy im and he plays a drummer that loses hearing. It's have a metal drummer, And I mean, you know, it's every musician's worst nightmare. But that ship is a great fucking flick. It's it's a beautiful flick.
Speaker 3: What streaming services that It's on Amazon?
Speaker 4: Amazon, like the whole the whole sounds the whole sounds gaping of how they show you how losing is.
Speaker 5: Incredible, not a sound design. That ship is amazing.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm on it. I gotta see it. I gotta see it. I just got done Small Acts, so I.
Speaker 5: Haven't watched all of them. I watched the Lovers Rock one, but I haven't seen all the other ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, watching in order. If everyone's most Jamaicans that I know rock with the second one, Lover's Rock.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna start with because the other one starts.
Speaker 1: That's a very unique joint. Yeah, but I think you'll you'll you'll like it.
Speaker 6: But if we shout now a shout out night in Miami, and then I'm done. Okay, Okay, Riverdale one night in Miami.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're just watching Riverdale. Steve pretty good, Steve, Steve is good for like it's Steve will be like real like non like most pop culture things. But then he'll just come back with like, yeah, I watched Real house Wives of Atlanta or.
Speaker 2: I don't watch that, but I have a question though, and then hopefully we could get too.
Speaker 1: Into the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mandalorian has something to do with Star Wars.
Speaker 1: No, don't don't chat.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 1: Star Wars been fell off, and they're lucky that we're still talking about them forty years.
Speaker 3: About Little Yoda, I mean he's not Yoda's not Yoda.
Speaker 1: But yeah, baby Yoda, Yeah, I mean yeah. Mandalorian is like their series on the Disney Channel, and apparently it's as good, at least to the people of my age that are real Star Wars heads, like they're they're very happy with the results.
Speaker 3: Better than the last three Star Wars movies.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm on, Yeah, for sure, I saw one of them that I liked, but I don't know which one that was, and.
Speaker 6: Don't worry about it. And you forgot it already. Only saw one? You saw Turn the Jedi fifteen times?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I don't mean those three. I'm talking about the of the jj Abrams variety, that one. But anyway, all right, so with okay, were you born in Queens.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, going and raised Queens, New York, jamake it to make the South Side, Jamaica.
Speaker 1: Okay what uh okay, so only know my New York knowledge is just limited to whatever rappers rapping at the moment. So, like what was your peer area, like, like who what notable MC's that you would know of that that you knew of before you became notable or they became notable.
Speaker 4: I mean I was ahead, man, It's like and I'm and I'm old as ship. So I came up there in a park game era. So it was like, you know, urban legend dudes like grand Master Vic and the Boss Crew and just local hip hop crews that were doing park James that I was you know, inspired by and like Nah said, like just way too afraid to ever get on the mic in those moments. And then it shifted to Mikey D, the incredible Mikey D in the l era, and I still was too afraid to get on the mic and those jams and wasn't ready. And then by the time you know, I started going to high school and developing organized confusion, you know, that's when it was like, uh, you know, large pro and lost boys and all those cats in the in the area.
Speaker 1: Right, So you were there for the first you have memories of like the first generation of hip hop and queens.
Speaker 4: Oh definitely, I mean I was, I was shorty, but it was it was cats jamming. I mean, that's what what attracted me to the whole thing. Like, you know, not to sound cliche, but you could hear the music rocking from down the block and you know, crowds and forties and you know, you just it'll never go back to that. And it was an air about that and even the danger of the shootouts and you know, it was just a different time and a different feeling and culturally at that point, I was like I needed to be a part of this, but I just wasn't ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was your family into, Like what type of household did you grow up in? What was your home situation?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Man, both parents Gospel on the mom's side, jazz on the pop side. My older brother was heavy into the rock, which is, you know, while gravitated to that a lot, you know, deep purple Zeppelin, Rush and all the whole rest of it. Then my next brother was like, you know, James Browner and funk, and my sister was Michael Jackson. So I had the whole gamut, and I just, you know, just that whole seventies thing I think we all did, and just soaked it all in. You know.
Speaker 3: Were your parents native New Yorkers?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: Not? There from Virginia and they moved to New York when they had me.
Speaker 1: You're the youngest.
Speaker 4: I'm the youngest. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first album that you purchased or was it all just trickled down from your older brothers and.
Speaker 4: Sisters hip hop album or album?
Speaker 5: This album?
Speaker 1: I want to we'll start with that album because I have a come to Jesus moment with hip hop. So your very first record.
Speaker 4: My first record I purchased was Saturday Night Fiva.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's real.
Speaker 4: When I was.
Speaker 1: I got that ship when I was seven, you know you Okay, that's understandable. Concert wise, do you remember your first one? Did you go to concerts a lot when you were a kid or see performances?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I wasn't a big concert goer when when I and I regret it, you know, because I missed so many opportunities and I'm so ashamed, Like I never I never saw Prince live. Like it's just so I know your relationship with that guy, But it's just things like that that I that I regret. Also, you know, it was we were in Queen's and it was a journey to get to where everything was anyway, So I was kind of like nerd do too, So I wasn't venturing out that much back then like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what was your come to Jesus moment at least with hip hop as far as that's concerned, Like, were you just casually wrapping around the way or was this this thing where you were watching him sees on the block and decided that's what I want to do. Like, what was your introduction to that world?
Speaker 4: Was I was a crazy ill asthmatic, and I knew I had to make a choice that wasn't physical in terms of what I was going to do with my my my livelihood wasn't happening. Fire Man wasn't happening, garbage Man wasn't happening. So I was an artist. So I went to High School of Art and Design, Big Up the Kwame, Big Up, the Prodigy, mob Deep. Yeah, I went to that same school, and in that school was just a plethora of culture, black books, graffiti, just hip hop. Culture was rich at the time, and I just, you know, before it became you know, cool even to be and MC or get a record deal, I knew I had to be invested in the culture. So I'm very thankful for those moments because you know, I was pop blocking, and you know I was. I was way too heavy to get on the ground and do a windmill and some shit, so I knew I couldn't be a breakdancer, but I was just trying to get into the culture however I could in that timeframe. And it was around eleventh grade that I was like, fuck the art shit, I'm gonna express myself through this, this this, this hip hop. Even then I was beatboxing. I didn't you know, I had no voice, I was. I was horrible at it. Met Prince Paul had my friend tied Stick who had turntables, and I was like, yo, let's go and try and develop something, made a couple of demo tapes, took him home and listened to him. And I'm thankful again to be able to listen. You know. I listened back to those tapes when I took him home, and I was like, you're horrible at this shit, you know I do. It was the wacky shit I ever heard. But I was lucky. I was lucky to be able to hear that. I wasn't good and it didn't sound like the dudes in the park, and it didn't sound like the stuff on the radio, which made me say you gotta work at this sh bro You know, I was able to say that to myself before I let anybody hear what we were doing.
Speaker 5: But when you and po, who's the oldest between.
Speaker 4: Y'all, I'm probably the oldest by a couple of months.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, well y'all. Y'all, y'all both went to the same school. Y'all was in the same class, web gotcha, and both of you were art majors.
Speaker 4: Oh man. Back then, they had what was called rotation, so we were able to do photography, computer graphics, architecture. It was just the school. It was an amazing, you know, ray of different cultures from kids from different backgrounds. It really shaped obviously a lot of the people who went to that school. So that was a blessing in itself.
Speaker 1: I know, or at least I know from the folklore of it all, that I believe you were one of the last artists to work with Paul c. And I assume that this is pre organized or at least pre record deal, pre Hollywood basics. Where did he enter the story and how? You know, he's one of the most loved mythical figures that I've heard of in the hip hop like everyone has these like incredible words, but I can never get any story about his work, ethic or anything about him, like what was his role in Well, you were simply too positive before organized confusion, right, I believe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, we were simply too positive. We had just left like a local label situation and went off on our journey to start working on our first demo. I thought I was finding my voice at the moment. I was starting to get some props with the bars as an MC, and we went into the legendary twelve twelve to work on some demos. In twelve twelve at the time was probably seventeen dural large professor in the corner, just on a machine. I didn't know what he was doing. And we had went to the studio with some records, laid some vocals, and during the time we were laying vocals, Paul c was an engineer at twelve twelve as well as a producer. He walked into our session to get some wires and he was like, pardon me, excuse me, I don't mean to thrup his session, got some wires and he left. Next day I got a phone call from him. I don't know how he got the number, and he was like, I heard what y'all was doing. I think y'all got talent. I would love to work with y'all. And I had asthma attack. I was so excited.
Speaker 1: Did you was was he at least you know, I don't know what year this was. Was this at least post ultramagnetic?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right, he had that, He had that status of working with Ultra super Love a C and even maybe some early rock him stuff at the time, if I can't remember. So it was just you know, if you can imagine, it was just like the ultimate phone call. So we went in and worked with him, and I bought in some different things that we were working on, and he was a stickler for truncation and programming, you know, gave a lot of tulige too large. And I credit both of them for a lot of that early SB twelve one hundred manipulation. It was very early on and they were really doing some real amazing work with that. And why I love Paul C Is that I went in to do a song and like a lot of MC's at that time, I went past the sixteen bar measure. He stops the session, closes the session and sends me home, like when you learn how to count bars, come back and talk to me. And I thought, I was wow, you know, I was getting a little name at the time and nobody had ever told me some shit like that. But he was just like, who's your favorite, you know artist? I'm like, Peve was like, go listen to those records, learn how to fucking rap, learn how to count. Until you do that, don't come back to the studio. So that was the first like dude who wasn't a yes man and started to help us shape our voices and understand how to make records. We made really, really four good songs for the demo with him that went on to touch Barbado's hands and Russell Simmons' hands and you know, but more than that, you know, he just used to invite us to his crib. He had a record, insane record collection, played drums. It's like, even in this conversation, there's no need to mention that he was white, because he was just an entity of like some soul spirit or some shit, you know, and so funky and whatever.
Speaker 1: And back then was that the novelty like, you know, how does this white boy know our shit better than us?
Speaker 4: Or like how you know, you know, it's funny, man, It's like, you know, you have to put these things in context in that moment, I don't. I don't think we gave a fuck, Like we really didn't. Like it wasn't even yeah, it wasn't even a question. We were just like, we need good shit. And I think too, you know.
Speaker 5: And I think too. At that time, hip hop was so kind of young. I don't even know if we were thinking about it as quote unquote ours, you know what I'm saying in terms of black people, like, yo, this is our shit. It was. It was so new that if you found someone else that was in to it, whether they were black, white, whatever, it's just like, oh they fuck with hip hop just like me. Like that didn't happen untill later on.
Speaker 4: Right, And so we developed a personal relationship outside of the music. I remember us going to see Batman and you know, him putting the raisin ats in the popcorn and like yelling, not up on this shit. I'm like raising this in the pile. You know, just cool, cool moments. And then the tragedy is we finished the demo. It was it was touching people's hands and we were getting a buzz and he got murdered, and that's kind of like the first of a line of kind of like traumatic tragic things that happened. And so me and Prince you know, had to go forward and try to get a record deal, but we didn't have our guy or kind of guide. And that's why that first album is like really kind of experimental, because in that moment, we lost the master ranger and we just was like taking records to the studio and ship and looping stuff and just doing ideas and you know, went back the fuck did bar count you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeah, noted gases. That was no bark out.
Speaker 1: So basically, had had a situation not turnout, had a turnout, he would have probably been the main producer of Organized Confusion absolutely.
Speaker 5: Wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well that's the thing now. The way that The Source first introduced you guys to the world, like they've made such a big deal of Disney having a record label that you know, it was kind of like, wait a minute, there's a rap group. Like the way they did it, I didn't see it as like Hollywood basic like just I don't even know why they had to put like a subsidiary of Disney Records, So I kind of like pushed it to the side, like I lowered my expectations a lot, and I jumped on the you know, once I heard instrumentals and whatnot, then it was like, Yo, that Disney rap group really is dope.
Speaker 5: Like I just kept because I think because real Wrap the only thing they had on Hollywood was like it was y'all and I remember you Lifers group, like the made the album.
Speaker 4: Life was a group. I produced the record for them. Me and Prinson produced the record for the We literally went into the prison and had to do that ship and security prison. That's a whole nother I've never heard. So you know, we're on the label and we got a little buzz you know from you know, Underground Ship Fudge bud YadA YadA, and they're like, yo, you know Dave Funk and Klein. Let me just give you a little history on him, right. It's responsible for like Brain Tribe and Jungle Brothers over to the Europe scene, very instrumental and and that whole thing and breaking a lot of things over there in Europe. He's that, he was that dude, and he was a visionary, and I guess he got himself a record label over there and got himself a nice team with Tim Reid, you know, and so it was it was, it was live. They just didn't have this aesthetic, you know. The aesthetic was.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, the well bench that he will never share with me. Do you have? Do you have it? Do you.
Speaker 4: So? Going to the prison Roadway State Prison in New Jersey, the group was called Lifeless Group because all the members was doing life sentences. Dave, Funk and Klin thought this would be a great idea because you don't get no harder than cats that are doing life in prison. And I was like, I don't know if this is a good idea. Way cut the check, will go produce the record, and I never forget going in there my first time in the maximum security prison. They slammed the gates behind us and they tasked me and Prince with picking from ten inmates the five that would be in the group. Can you already see the tragic stake that that is. So these guys had to rap and we had to pick which ones it was the best. Wow, I was like, this is this is this is going to go terribly wrong. And I remember, you know, we picked the five a week the music. They were working on the songs. When we go to come back with like, what's up with the other two guys we picked? Shanked Wow, no longer in the group. You have to pick another two And you don't even know.
Speaker 5: It was that wild and so you did y'all like make the beats in the prison and everything, or like tracked and everything.
Speaker 4: We we tracked some stuff in the prison, brought like, you know, portable recorder to the prison for them to record. Oh my god, y'all killing.
Speaker 5: Me all the years we known each other. I had no idea Life's group dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, we did two songs on that project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I f wow.
Speaker 5: Did like you ever keep in touch with any of those guys afterwards?
Speaker 1: They riot or whatever or.
Speaker 4: You did.
Speaker 1: Next you know, you should see the look at his eyes, like next question believe.
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Okay, So were there any other options besides Hollywood Basic? And why were they chosen uh to be the home of organized confusion.
Speaker 4: Barbido was an r at Death Jams at the time. He was like, this demo is insane. I love this demo. I love these guys. I just did uh him and stretched of the day. He's still you know, my peoples and my fans just been so many years we've been tight and cool. And he had the demo and he had Nase's demo. He took them to Russell and he was like, these two demos are amazing, and Russell Simmons rejected both demos.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 4: Positive, simply too positive and not turn them both down. And then we were like, what are we gonna do? What are we gonna do? Got the offer from the Hollywood Basic that was kind of really nice offer for underground hip hop back then, and we were like, hey, fuck it. Well, well we'll fly to We'll fly to disney Land and you know, and record whatever. And then last minute I seen Russell in the club and he was like, you know what I've been listening to you guys, demo call me tomorrow. Let's have a conversation. So we're like, oh ship death Jams, oh ship and uh. We called Russell Simmons the next day to talk about a deal and he said, first off, simply Too Positive is the worst fucking name in hip hop that I've ever heard of. Gotta change the name. Gotta change the fucking name. We were like, nah, it's STP. You know. STP you know the oil even like that shi it is the most fucked us name I've ever heard him.
Speaker 1: It's nose.
Speaker 4: I'm signing with that name. We got to come up with a better name. You gotta come up with a name. That's how we listen to Organized Confusion. Took us forty eight hours seeing an Organized Confunction record Organized Wait, that's.
Speaker 1: How you named the group Organized.
Speaker 4: Confusion yep from the Confunction album. Yep. We were like oxymoron boot boom boom, sounds good. You're there's some that you could do. These moves. I could do that move, you could wear this, I could wear that. Wow, let's do it.
Speaker 1: And you went back to Russell like okay, we changed our names and now what's up?
Speaker 4: Okay, we changed our names. Now what's ups? Like eighty grand? Basic deal was like one hundred and fifty grand, and so we took the money.
Speaker 5: Hey, okay, as you damn will should have I see because this is what in ninety what like you remember like what you're it was a ninety probably ninety ninety one, right, yeah, because that's.
Speaker 1: Oh that period of jam I will.
Speaker 4: You know, I just feel like I heard these rumors are getting shelved. And ship never coming out and these horror stories and I was like, I don't want to go down that road.
Speaker 1: You know, that's crazy. Well, at least then because I know, like Reak and I used to dream of being on.
Speaker 4: Deaf Jam like everybody did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was such a like going to Motown like so for you to make the what you felt was the wiser decision of the group, I mean that that's that says a lot of what was Deaf Jam at the time, for you to walk away from this fabled hip hop utopian space and just go to Mickey Bouse's new home.
Speaker 4: I've made more terrible decisions on the way on the road too, But I don't know, man, I don't know if that I don't know if it would have worked out. Who's to say, you know?
Speaker 1: Do you you know? I know at least from if I get it a little bit, then I know you get it a lot.
Speaker 5: Do you kind of.
Speaker 1: Roll your eyes at like super fans who salivate over you know? I mean there's so much, especially with well, I guess with all three with equal NOx and stress and and the self titled record the folklore of it or like is it? I know, like sometimes Tarik is frustrated, where like every MC after MC comes up and praises as work, but then it's like, you don't necessarily see the evidence of of you know, your heart work. And I mean, does it get tiring hearing that year after year of like how much you influenced me and how much you influenced me, and yet this couldn't translate in the cells and you know, at least to that level of what it was back in ninety one.
Speaker 4: Definitely. I think after the first record, we were a little bit perplexed because we saw a little bit of you know, play and whatever, but we were inexperienced, So we chalked it off to that, you know, I'm wanting to believe you have to stay in love with the shit. But I can see how during that era a lot of cats were finding out more and more about the industry. Was kind of not sure about this girl anymore, like kind of falling out of love with it. And I kind of decided that can't do this unless you're gonna love it, love it, love it, love it, regardless to the outcome. And so I stayed in love and we moved on from the self titled record to the Stress Record, and I think we you know, started to really find our voices around that record, you know, got a little more love and pushed a little more forward with the Stress record and a couple of joints off there in terms of folklore and different songs on that record, and then I think, you know, we had it with Mickey Mouse after that record, and then we moved on to uh, yeah, we moved on to Priority, where it was. It was weird because at the time they they had kind of signed a bunch of established people and they I didn't see where they didn't break any records, and I was feeling like we still needed to be broken as a group, even though we were two albums deep. And we worked on that last one and we really put a lot into it, you know, I was trying to do this whole story thing and back forward, you know, put a lot of effort into it, a little bit of love, a lot a bit of love. I think people saw it. It's very difficult to do those type of records and make them make sense anyway.
Speaker 5: I love the record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know a lot of people would be like, yo, that's my favorite one of the three, but you know, it's.
Speaker 5: My favorite one of the three, which one Equinox because that was that came out like ninety seven. So that was my freshman year at Central, and I remember getting my refund checked and running the goddamn Willie's Rickorsent tapes with him. I bought a gang of sh I bought the man, y'all.
Speaker 4: I remember when I first Yeah, I remember when I first met you. You were like, Yo, I love this record and I love the skits and so on and so forth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who did Yeah? Who did the Sir Winston Howard? Who was that that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, no, no, so my my my guy Brian Fleman, who's a writer. Now, he found this guy in the neighborhood, like I think he was in the liquor store and this dude was like and he was like, hey, man, you want to do some skits on this album? For Wow, you just had his voice and we just incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, it just it just hit me that I believe the first time that I heard of O C was on your first Yeah. So how yeah? How did how did he get down with the click?
Speaker 4: And Oh? She had moved from Brooklyn across the street from from me. In the neighborhood. You know, back then we were playing you know, two hand touched in the street and still playing basketball and all that ship, and you know, I would knock on people's doors and be like, yo, we get in the game. You want to play. And you know, one day he was like, yo, I rap and I was like, oh God, and he rhymed and I was like, holy ship, Oh this kid might be a problem. And we just you know, started hanging out and we would we would trade and spa and he would be like, yo, I wrote something. And he would come over to the house do verses and wrap over, you know, pause tapes and sit and I was like, yo, man, you got it, man, you got something special. I just think he for me. Oh. He always had a knack for pocket, you know, just just command of pocket that I could never obtain. It's just something people have that's just they lock in, you know.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he lived right across the street from me.
Speaker 1: One the the the Stress album, I always wanted to know this. This shows you how much of a do weeb I am. I believe your Stress review and the source was the infamous Tupac hell Raisor issue m H. And I also believe that they had you write hip hop's very first op ed.
Speaker 5: I believe. Yeah, when you talk about like the rhymes you rolled and you clicked on the sp and.
Speaker 1: That's funny. You remember that part. I just remember the Chinese chicken wing take out Chinese food reference. That's how different we are. This is supernerves. I remember the food reference. No that you know that was no history, won't won't pan out. How crucial that that issue of the Source was to hip hop's future, you know, because basically I feel like that that Tupac cover is what built the myth in the legend of Tupac, and you know, it's one of their highest selling issues. But I also remember it simply because the the you know you guys had to leave review for that album, and you know, that's the first time that I heard of like like a separation, Like okay, so there's underground hip hop and then there's accessible, easy to understand hip hop.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It was almost as if the reviewer of the album was kind of at a crossroads because he and his heart felt that this was the perfect album he was listening to, but because he knew that it was going to go over everyone's heads, he might have to take a mic away.
Speaker 5: So it was yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Was almost like we got four mics.
Speaker 5: Yea, yeah, I got four, I remember that right.
Speaker 1: But he basically said I would give this album a five, but because this is so above the head of anyone else that I, you know, I just have to take a mic away because it's too smart.
Speaker 4: I was crushed. That's another That's another moment where I was like, you know what, I don't know if I want to do this shit anymore because I'm starting to see that, uh, this shit is not based on the merits, so.
Speaker 5: On the music either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so that those are the things like in the relationship, if you will with the music, you start to question your commitment and your love to it, and you have to keep re assessing and and recommitting yourself to it. But that was one of the moments I was like, you're going to start this article off with I would have gave them.
Speaker 1: And I kept like I I guess I vicariously was living through you guys, you know, because at that moment we were just starting to make our record. And then you know, when I read that, I was like, oh man, he's basically saying that this album's too smart for its own good. And had they just did a little bit of terra firma down to earth, like make it normal, I would have easily shown why this is a five mic record. And that always horned me. But I never ever got to ask you how that felt like you're dope, but you're you're too dope, so we have to penal penalize you for that.
Speaker 4: It was crushing. I mean, I don't I don't know if I I don't know if I expected a five. It was a solid record, and I thought we had a chance to get a five. And then, you know, I would have been fine if you wouldn't have put that bit in there like ooh, these guys almost moved me to a boof. But I'm not gonna do that because you wrapped about part of holes of molecules and fucking right may be. So you know, you remember.
Speaker 1: Who the writer was on that review?
Speaker 5: Was it like the original mind squad?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: Damn, that's that's the one. What's it running? Bro ship my my all my sources at at at work.
Speaker 5: All right. I remember around the time Pharaoh you I read an interview around the time of equinox and you were saying that. I think Poe was saying, like, Yo, let's get back in the studio, let's go at it again. And you told him like, look, man, I gotta be real at my heart really and in this ship you know right now? What was that like? Yeah it was. I can't remember what it was it. I mean, yeah, he was and I read it. I was like, damn, like he being real, you know what I'm saying. But yeah, what was that like for for you and Poe? Kind of that for y'all to both be in different places, and how did that affect you both, you know, personally and professionally in terms of relationship.
Speaker 4: I mean we're good and we was good. Then I felt it only right to go to him, you know, talk to him how I was feeling. I was crushed at the results of the last record. We put a lot into it. It ended it ended with the group getting dropped from priority, and that kind of hurt my ego, but gave me some time after we had worked so hard on that record, and I was like, I definitely, you know, talking to myself and fleeping on it. I definitely don't feel like going back in the studio right now. That's the last thing I want to do. So I need some time to kind of recoup and assess my relationship with music again. And because I knew it was important. You know, you need to love, love, love, you need to love this shit, and I knew I loved it, but I need to needed to take a step back, and you know, I had that discussion with him. I'm like, I'm tapped out, Like I'm really tapped out. I need to take a hiatus. And during that time, I realized that I just had a lot of personal things that if I was to recommit myself to this, that I needed to get off my chest that I even felt would be unfair to drag him into, because you know, in a group, you're sharing so much, and you're you're making these, uh compromises, and you're making these, you know, decisions collectively to put records together. And I just came out on the other side like I really felt it would be selfish to drag him. I feel like I would be dragging him into these ideas that I was having. And so went back to him and and was like, yo, I think I'm gonna try to vomit some of this stuff out and he he was like, yo, man, you got my blessings, you know what I mean? So I went on that journey.
Speaker 1: I have actually three creative questions about your work in organized confusion. Well, to start is, how do you guys build ideas and your songs?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: Well? First of all, even with the production, you know, do you guys work on beats separate or was it a collaborative effort? And that fat like, does the concept of the song come at the beginning or does it just whoever adds the verse first, then that's the concept of the song.
Speaker 4: As soon as we landed the deal, we went out and got us we twelve hundreds, and we started just banging out beats with the crew of cats and queens as well who were the organisms and they were they were working on music as well. And I started going out to these record conventions, the famous record conventions that uh you know, Finesse and Large and uh uh Salam and Tip and everybody would be at and I would see them in there, and they're my heroes and they would be buying these eighty dollars records and I would be like, wow, that must be nice, and we would you know, look for stuff. And then once I developed a relationship with those dudes, they started to be like, you got this, you got this. You know this guy, you know this guy, you got this. You need to get this. And started to you know, begin to get my chops up with on the digging side, and we started to you know, produce all music, and I gravitated to what I knew, which was you know, my brothers again, the weather Report and a lot of the Fusion Ship, which kind of the landscape of things I wanted to wrap over personally, and so just started putting stuff together and taking it to the studio and trying to make it better and getting with the right for you know, engineers and things like that. So Prince would make a beat, we would make a beat together. We would be like what is this? You know, we would sit there and be like, what is this song singing? What are we doing? And or I would come with a concept and be like, what if we're unborn fetuses and the mothers?
Speaker 5: That was my ship to the in vitro Nigga. I ran man, I ran the hell out of the damn.
Speaker 4: Song right right, So and then you know, shout out to Buck Wild and then around that same time, we're working with OG.
Speaker 5: Two man y'all o G was that Decisions record? I love that record?
Speaker 4: Thank you. Anton Puchowski was bringing live instrumentation to a lot of the early shit and just pushing us along, And it was a collective effort to answer your to answer your question.
Speaker 1: So I always wanted to know because you guys were so advanced, like way past where ultramat Netic was taking it, Because you guys were so advanced and sort of wrapping outside the boundaries of you know, outside the boundaries, coloring outside the lines. Was it frustrating to have such not not limitations as far as what hip hop music could have been. But I would always have I would have I could imagine. I always thought of you guys as sort of like advanced ere hip hop, like future. Well that's the time I've seen you guys are a future hip hop that kind of got stuck with the palette of limited music output. Like if if you guys could easily figure out ways to program that's twelve hundred so that you could rhyme seven eight meter here and then slow down there, and things that you could easily do now on pro tools, and you know, and reasonable like this shy yeah and all these so was it or even things like you know where ghost Face just rhymes over an album like I always wanted to know, Like shit, if you guys could rhyme over Frank Zappa or my Visa orchestra, just like you guys would have been those people. So like, was there ever musical moments that you tried an idea that was just like way too ahead of its time, at least technology wise.
Speaker 4: I was frustrated then, which is which made me happy because I knew what I wanted to do was expansive, you know. And I would listen to bands and they would play a groove at a tempo and then break it down and do a beautiful transition into a slower, more beautiful tempo. And I was like, how am I you know, how are we going to achieve this with what we're trying to do? And that's kind of what brought about that Hypnotical Gases song, which starts at one temple and goes goes into another temple. We didn't know how to program and at the time, so we started off with that one loop that that that slow loop and goes goes into the Fusion Ship. I remember Anton Chowski having to cut the two inch tape in order to, you know, get this ship to work, and you think back to things like that, and he's literally like, I gotta get this ship right, you know, He's literally slicing the tape. I know, y'all know, you know. And I wanted to go and I wanted to go into the fast beat as if the band was was was doing that, you know. That's that what was in my head. But I had no other way to achieve it, you know what I'm saying, Like, I didn't know how to you know, which kind of brings this full circle, you know, moving forward. I didn't know how to achieve that in terms of the programming in the sample time. I don't believe we had nine fifties at the time, you know. So I'm like, how are we going to get this idea out of my head? And we did it, and it's it's one of the records that Organized Confusion is most known for.
Speaker 1: Okay with without without uh without without want to be starting something. How frustrating was it for you as an n C as an M.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've been I've been doing this show for a little while man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, how how frustrating was it for you to hear just you know, without being condescending like mortal mortal hip hop fans just salivate over I gave you Power when.
Speaker 5: When you did Straight Bullet like years already did Straight Bullet like how and didn't have to tell people that you were good. That's something I hate about I gave You Power. It's like I'm a motherfucking gun. The song I was Gonna Dodge, Yeah, hip hop hip hop abody.
Speaker 4: Anybody ever told that that? People hate that intro to that song.
Speaker 1: Between between I Gave You Power and the way that Dre says NAS's name fucking Tray, motherfucking.
Speaker 5: Tray and all that lead into like the word yeah, but that's all right.
Speaker 1: I took half of mic off just for those two intros. Yeah, but basically like yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: It brings it, It brings it back so many just what we're dealing with today. From our lens, the fucking the lore and the love we got for Stray Bullet was just insane. You know. We would perform that record and it would be like the crowd would be like insane. So from our lens, we were getting the love and the props from that record and the writing and the reviews. We were like yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. When I Gave You Power came out, I was like, oh my god, that's fucking it's fucking premiere, Like what can you say? And then and then nas is like one of my favorite mcs, like like like literally that that's just so uh the rush of people that came to us like hey, got your ship. Man. Like, But but as a as a I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think to know.
Speaker 4: Right, and that that was That was another thing. The crew the crews were. The crews were interconnected in different way because OC was with search Light and it was you know, but just for real, as a as an artist, I didn't I didn't feel away like oh man, you know, I just I didn't get those feelings from it. It's like, you know, as Tarik says, it's like some still sharp and steel ship and what you're gonna do next. I say that to say later in life, I find myself in the backseat of a range Rover with Naves having a conversation and now says, you know what, man, A lot of people you know what I mean say, you know, they came to me, they say, yo, man, you know Pharaoh man did that ship before you man, and you know we had a lot of similar ship d so you know as the foundation, you know, we need to you know, we need to. So we had a discussion about it. But yeah, I never really felt like, oh my god, that's my concept, Like I never really felt that way.
Speaker 1: You know, I still maintain that Nos, I don't think NAS listens to that much at least and most of them season I know that on that level, I don't agree with you.
Speaker 4: Because I don't listen to I don't. It's like a handful of people that I listened to when I'm reporting, And then do we even listen to people's anymore as artists, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, season, So how you're going to be such an expert on I.
Speaker 1: Listened in the off season, but when usually when you're creating your thing, you're you're in your own you don't want to listen to other people, so that you don't.
Speaker 3: But if it happened afterwards, yeah.
Speaker 5: I listened to stuff like you have to listen, like so you know what not to do. Nothing else is more of just kind of a just like all right, if I know, like if I'm working on an album now, I'll listen to Pharaoh album be like okay, I know not to do this because he covered that already, you know what I mean, that's how it's far to go.
Speaker 1: Has Riek ever told you, I know for a fact that a big part of Tarik's development, especially on Things fall apart, like you know, I mean, there's a period for those that listen to the show, And I guess I can ask you this as well, Phararell. If you're creating this music in the mid to late nineties and the early arts, you know, there's usually in your head like a jury that you imagine, you know, listening to this and that you have to have it to that standard. So I know for a fact that Jesus Christ, like Tarik would run the it out of Equinox like every night at like religiously, like that was his that was his rocky music to get him hype for the show, like literally like it was like I gotta get to this level. I want this level and this this level of respect. Did he ever tell you, like how much that that that album into him?
Speaker 4: When we when we talk, we just we just do verses of each other's and different ship and not be like the fifth to make it all come together like the Zippo on a butter level, right, just you know, just amazing ship. Uh, nothing specific, but that, Like you have to know that. I imagine that when I when I turn in an album that Fonte and Thought and Broyce and and different other cats, you know, at a big fucking oak table and they're like.
Speaker 5: Now's like.
Speaker 1: Like the last time, like a whiteboard. Yeah, that's real.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: What is that in twenty twenty twenty one? Is because the thing is that we don't have that, Like right now, I'm current. This will be the first album I created in which I'm you know, in my mind. I always kept like, okay, the source is still a thing in my mind, and I have to have that level of perfection, Like I'm still striving for that four point five rating that I want even though it doesn't exist now. So what is what is that for you in your head when you're creating things or is this now you're just in the place where you just create for yourself.
Speaker 4: That's what I did on this this new project. A deconstructed all the shit that I don't like and you know, a lot of stuff I would listen to and be like, this doesn't have any replay value for me. Why doesn't that have any replay value for you? And what can you do when you do your shit that's going to give something some replay value? You know? The the lyrics, the lyricism work is really really good right now, just being a good or grade m C. It's just not good enough anymore for me. It's like, you know, people can fucking rap now. People have been rapping for thirty years now, more like what you know, what more is it? You know, just to hear somebody, Uh that's nice? It's like, yeah, he nice, And then I would kind of drift away from it. What can what can you do to make people retain some information? Or you're like, no, I think I'm gonna listen to that that that song for a second time, and it has to do obviously way more with the ranging and melody and chorus and bars as well. So in that time, I'm just like, let me step away and focus, still keeping in the mind that I want you guys to hear this ship, you know, because I'm in touch with thought. Towards the end, of the the record and he's just sending me tons and tons of shit and I'm like, how does he do this? Like your record records on records? And then he's sharing, like I'm so scared to share my ship, but he's just like, yo, I did this ship. Check this shit out. And it's like, oh my god, and so and so that's the bar. You know, you you know what your bar is, and it's high for me. But at the same time, Pharaoh can rap so fucking.
Speaker 5: What, like right, we.
Speaker 4: Know this already. And I don't mean that to sound I reckon. I mean that to say it's like it's the same thing with the.
Speaker 5: It's like the straight A student, Like if you get straight a's all the time, it's like people don't notice until you make a bee and it's just.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, like the sort freestyle. Everybody in the note is watching that ship like y'all ain't no. You know, y'all ain't no. But it was so monumental for me because he's he's breaking the matrix in that moment, look at him. Only somebody who loves this tool to this level would even be able to put together a string together that level of artistry and lyricism, and so that that's what's beautiful about the now and getting mature in this and knowing that you know, I'm on my Morgan freemanship man, just trying to be the Morgan Freeman and of hip hop.
Speaker 1: I never heard it put that beauty. That's great.
Speaker 5: And even the thing with that thought freestyle, the thing that always tell people is like you have to you know, to your point kind of almost you know, fel about like rapping up being enough. You know. The thing is people watched that freestyle. It wasn't that they listened to it. They watched it, you know what I'm saying. And that was what kind of gave it the novelty aspect of it. Because I mean, again us we've been in the know, we've been knowing. But if we if he were to take those same bars and just spit them over beat and put it out and be like, yo, I just let some bars go, it wouldn't have been the same reaction. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: People see, I understand what it did for him, Look what it did for all of us. You know what I mean, Like anytime somebody come to the table and they they display that it just reinforces how marginalized I think lyricism still is. As much as it gets praised, I still don't think people like even like jay Z. I'm like, y'all still don't understand how good he is, as much popular as he is. It's just levels of lyricism that isn't discussing forums that can be brought out, in my opinion as somebody who's a fan of Fonte and Jay like this, this is just amazing shit that happens to me an amazing penmanship. And you know, I think a lot of it goes still to this day, goes over people's heads. How amazing some of this shit is that makes any sense? All Right?
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna not ask you the question that I hate when journalists ask me this question, So I'll remix it. Who are your favorite MC's then? And I guess I'm really asking, is there anyone post twenty ten, really post twenty fifteen that you like? Now prepared for that answer to be no if it's non, no, no no, So that's I'll just have you just who who are your go to?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Who do you like? Really?
Speaker 4: Like? I'm I'm trying, you know, I pull from all of these dudes, But I think Kendrick is an obvious, an obvious choice because you know, on the on the album That Touched My Heart, he had an understanding of very early on that I'm nice, but I need to be surrounded by arrangement and music and all these things. And he made that marriage and it was a moment again that that pushed the envelope of what could be done. Kendrick is one, but just all time, like any you know, I mean, my all time is the same cast of dudes. It's a rock him and Kane and g rap Rap being my favorite, slick Rick, who I think influenced a whole array of people, but they don't get that slick rickers influence them because of tone. But slick Rick is the voice, he is a master. And Chuck d and Chris and l is there.
Speaker 1: Someone that you feel is over and overrated, overlooked, Like I'm realizing now that Tarik's main influence is an MC. He never mentions, well, not that he does interviews. I didn't realize how much of an influence that Greg Nice is on Tarik. And usually Greg Nice isn't the first name that comes to people's but I mean Greg Nice is he He's kind of like a really great tuna fish sandwich. Like it's not it's not the it's not the food. No, it's not the food that you like, Like it's not on your last meal list, but it's consistent and if may right, it hits the spot. But you just overlook it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And that's exactly that's exactly what I'm talking about. Like Greg Nice is in the Hall of Fame of and you wouldn't realize that he could influence a black thought, but hell yeah he could. He influenced all of us. He pushed over this area and he you know, I can't explain it, but this shit is marginalized that can only be discussed in a lyric room. How Greg Knights can influence black thought, it's very much so. And he's one of my favorite MC's as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got one last organized confusing record. I swear to God, we'll finally get to your solo career within the first four hours of this. This is this question I've been dying to know. I have a copy of Stress that has different music on. Let's organize, not the protruce Russian sample but there's another version of Less Organized with Tip that I had. I guess I had the press copy of this Ship. Why was that music change? That Ship drove me crazy when I first heard it, and then when I brought the album it was new music and I was like, wait a minute, this isn't a version on it, and it's like snuffle up. I guess, like was it real? Was it not real? And anybody that's been on this show involved with that record? Whatever Tip name? I asked, was it me? Or did I remember another version of Let's Organize that never made it?
Speaker 4: It's the original version. It's ill, the ill version, and we will we have that version I do I could get and see. That's another That's another thing that won't ever happen again. Is we were in studios, you know the Drive the studio that was in the Jive building, Battery studios, and we were recording and Tip, you know, artists would be in difference and Tip just heard that beat, came into our room and was like, fuck, y'all, I'm getting on this song. Where's my part? We were shit and he went in and he just you know, vibed it out. You know this It got me moving like this. It got me moving. I need to be on this song. I remember ever could being in sessions in there and again it was just people flowing throughout the hallways and that should have never happened again in music. I think mistakenly I want to say mistakenly, but organically happening because of different people in different studios. But yeah, we're working on that and it was like y'all got to get on this song. So that's how that happened.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, I gotta hear that, man, Like I've been dreaming of that moment. Why was it changed at the last minute or was that sample issue or.
Speaker 8: H I don't know, man, I think I think it was a label things, you know, we need to remix this song or whatever, and you know we fell for it.
Speaker 1: I mean this is actually this was the jazzier, more effective. I mean I've DJ'ed it and people danced to it, so it was it was probably the better decision. But the way y'all hooked that beat up on that first Joe Prince Pol did.
Speaker 4: That beat, man, if I was driving, I would.
Speaker 1: Have drove two hundred miles per hour into a wall and been happy like that. That Joe was just so incredible. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: In your time off from in between Equinox to uh you know, na, what were you doing during that time?
Speaker 4: Contemplating my life? Now, I thought, if you're gonna if you're gonna recommit, you know, on some rocky shit, and you're gonna do it by yourself, then you need to really put yourself through the the ringer and the test of that it wasn't a pretentious thing. Started working on music. I did some demos. I went overseas with Barbido and Que Unique and destroying those cats or retored retord Europe. I was by myself. I had a dabt machine and I was like, and you know, this is me having a conversation with my owner self. If you really about it, about it, you're gonna press that debt and you're gonna go on stage by yourself, and you're going to see if you're about it, and you're going to see if you got what it takes to be a solo artist. Because I really, if it wasn't for Prince, I wouldn't have got into it. Like you know, he was the conduit obviously to give me. You know, I'm not really outgoing like that, and so I needed to be like, are you really you know about this shit? You need to get up there by yourself and not having any money, and you know, tours in Europe, I ain't have a DJ. I literally had a portable DAT machine. Wow, and would be like press play on the portable dat to my intro and walk out on stage.
Speaker 5: Hey, it was no break, it was.
Speaker 1: Can I ask from one too? Damn? That annoys me? How burdensome were annoying to you? At least in the last twenty years? Are those four notes from Simon says.
Speaker 3: I didn't say it. I was scared.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's strange, man. It's like I know a lot of artists talk about the disdain for those records.
Speaker 1: Yeah, te Spirit or me myself, and I like the group that hates their hit, right.
Speaker 4: But I've really embraced the ship. I've braced the love of it. I've braced the the way it bought a lot of people from different genres to that records. I embraced the festival ship with the record. I embraced the novelty of the record. It almost became a novelty before this shit came out, you know, Raucus was late to claim it, and Flex was playing it and Puffy was walking out to that song at the garden for intro before I was able to be like, wait a minute, this is me, you know, and we had that we had to push forward the reclaim the record, you know, to grab it. So to answer that question, like, I've decided to love that fucking song and it's brought me pain too, and and and you know with the sample ship, but uh I love the record?
Speaker 1: Wait you did? Wait? Can I ask a question? Fantee? Am I the only human being on earth that sort of associates that record and that sample that is also on Ladies Sings the Blues, And as a person that has watched Lady Sings the Blues like twenty times when she's getting when she's getting arranged and fingerprinted in the beginning during the opening.
Speaker 5: Creditsky okay, the music in the.
Speaker 1: Background is it's the same thing. So it's been used over and over again.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The thing was that I know when the lawsuit came on, it's one of the Godzilla people and YadA, YadA, YadA and whatnot. But I don't know, like I knew that.
Speaker 5: Some public do not public domain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew that Lady Sings the Blues, and I believe like there was almost some Gilbert of Sullivan Bismarck Marquish it coming going on where they were trying to go extra hard on you from ruining the the legacy of this this fictional dragon. And I'm waiting a minute, No, Lady sings the Blues. So it's it's like, what was that whole ordeal? And I got mad James Murdock questions for you as well with succession.
Speaker 5: But anyway, man, man for real, for real.
Speaker 1: Let me, yeah, just start with that, like with how did that whole thing, the whole lawsuit thing come to be?
Speaker 4: You know, I was a fucking monster movie buff and fan, and my best friend, who was a DJ for Organized Confusion as well, Tossick calls me and he's like, yo, I just came back from Tower. I got this CD with the original shit that we used to love back in the days, and we used to run on from school to watch the four thirty after school movie shit. I used to have the four thirty after school Karate shit, and he used to have the four thirty after school Monster joints with Gamera and Kong and all of that. I got the soundtrack to the sounds and all that stuff that was on there, and I was like, I'm coming right down right now, and I go down there and I listened to it at his house and I just heard like some some notes and phrasings, and the whole CD is amazing. It's a couple of things that I could have chopped off of there, but you know that things that that out to me. And it was like, oh man, there's this intro. Every DJ loves an intro to his song. This is just classic hip hop. And I can set it up where I have this intro to this song and then this drop on the one, and then I'll just rock these four beats, do it in, do the four beasts and put some drums on it. Just rocking in the room and listening and I'm like, did you do that? Sp yes, sir. And then that's you know, and then I just had the four notes and then I didn't have enough time to set up the intro that that's where Lee Stone comes in. I'm like, I gotta bring you the ship and then we go and we work on the jigger, jigger and all the rest of the ship. So you know, I'm just yeah, listen to the record, and I'm just like, you know what this is. You can only fuck this song up. You need to tell people what to do. You need to be direct, and you need to write. You know. I wanted to write a rhyme like like how I felt with kind of like ll that people remember the rhyme and you do the rhyme and everybody saying the rhyme. You know, up until this point it's intricate and it's a lot of gymnastics, and people would be staring at me at shows like, oh nice. I wanted to write something that you know, the whole crowd is like, I'm him, you know, I'm him when I'm saying I said, I could do that shit in the Marryland if I was doing that song. So those are the two things I started with. Push come to Shove, get the record done, and the bare bones are the record, and I take it to Raucus and I'm like, I think I got one before I made that record. Again, if we put it in context of what's happening in music at that time, at radio and labels, I'm looking at the scope of the shit and I'm like I think I could. I think I could hang out with these guys in my way. New York City had a place to break records, which was the top. Know that shit doesn't exist anymore, and so I'm factoring all of this in when I'm thinking about the song. You need to get this record broke. You need to move people. It needs to be hard, and it needs to say you know a couple of things on it. You know that that could change things. It needs to be aggressive anyway. I take the record in Headquarters. Piece of Headquarters was that raucous at the time. They just went crazy. They was like this shit is crazy. I remember Headquarters.
Speaker 5: So the record was done before you even went for Rocus even heard it like, this was done before you were signed to Raucous.
Speaker 4: No no, no, I was signed, and I was you know, I was like, I was telling them I could, I could make records that can go with what is happening on the radio right now an hour in my way, you know, I felt like if this is the illest things that's happening right now, it was like halla, halla, I'm like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I hated that damn.
Speaker 1: So you know what I like it.
Speaker 5: I like that era, like holla, holla, can I get out? And all them records was kind of kind.
Speaker 1: Of back then, I didn't like it, but now.
Speaker 4: Like hardcore now.
Speaker 3: It because you heard it so much. You didn't like it because the radio player back to back to back to back to.
Speaker 4: Back that you know exactly.
Speaker 5: I didn't like it the first time I heard it.
Speaker 3: Oh damn, yeah, you so that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I like it for the first time.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 4: And that's another a misnomer, Like all the cats that Racus was, what's fucking with those dudes. It's not like we were like hating you know, I like you, right, uh, But they drew this line and you know, cats that I knew on that side was like, yo, you bumping your ship and the whip And I was with these dudes and they playing you and kual Lee and and most in the car and they doing the ship and they rocking with y'all ship too. Like I don't think it was a bigger disparity in line between the two genres at the time as it was made out to be. Of course, I was fucking Big and Jay and Javu and all that shit, like who who wasn't. I mean, I'm from South Jamaica, queens. That being said raucus, I knew, you know I was. I was where I wanted to be and where I needed to be and was working on this song. I brought the record and I don't mean to be long winded. No love the record. I love the They loved the record. Jared was like, I don't know about this titty thing. You might want to change the titty thing because you know the female fans. If you could just go back in and rew the titty thing, it was weird.
Speaker 3: Every time it came on, we was like, wait a minute, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Yes, I was like, what y'all doing?
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: I literally went back into the studio because I wasn't a jackass artist. I'm like, let me let me you know see if I could rework it. And I was like, fuck that ship, man, leave it how it is. It is what it is. It's an unconventional chorus because it's extra long and all the ship and then it gets into some other ship with the itty bitty ship. I'm like, leadership man, it's feel it feels good and we left it. They rocked with it, and I came to them with the business side, and there was notorious there, like business wasn't just executed on a high level. And I brought the samples in and whatever, and it was like, uh, you know, this is saying we don't really have to you know, cons about the boot the book, and they dropped the ball on the business side. It's not like I hit what the fuck I was doing. I was like, here's the CD, here's the paperwork, here's a ship, Like, let's cut a shit that it could pop if you feel in it like that, we need to do it. And it was kind of like.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that. They just thought, like we're raucous, you know, under the radar, it's only going to be in twenty thousand units. This will sell at fat beats and write, you know.
Speaker 3: And then came radio.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I was gonna ask like, did you have relationships with Brian and Jarrett and about to say Rupert James Murdoch at the time, because it's only I mean, do you watch Succession, Uh, the HBO kind of.
Speaker 4: Drama about the Murdoch family need to mourn it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they they the character that's playing the James guy, like you know he's going through his you know, his post hip hop phase. But now that I've watched that.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm sorry, connected dots. Wait what are you saying right now, a'm mirror. Are you saying that the Murdochs are connected to Raucus? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: James Murdock, Oh, yeah, the youngest son of Rupert Murdoch is the the kind of deceived money for Raucous Records.
Speaker 3: Shut the fuck up, James.
Speaker 1: Actually, you know, James, I forgot James brought Raucous to Wendy Goldstein. So at one point like, yeah, that's how most got on the label.
Speaker 3: Ship, like the most conscious rappers.
Speaker 4: W Yeah.
Speaker 1: The irony of it all is that, yes, the youngest Murdoch song son, James Murdoch was was one of the heads of Raucous Records.
Speaker 5: And I first heard that and from an LP song. It was one of his records. It was an LP A company for I can't remember, but he had made a mention of and I was like, holy.
Speaker 1: Shit, like you wasn't on the fun Crusher plus.
Speaker 5: It might have been on Fun Crusher plus yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, So if you start watching the show succession, which is, you know, kind of mirror. It's it's like McDowell's and McDonald's, like we the Vernock family, but that's who it is. Like one of their sons was like, you know, I mean not wigorous, but you know he's oldest steeped in the no, the youngest steeping the hip hop whatever. So I always wondered, like what the relationship was between the artist and those three at the time, because in my head I thought they were like that it was strictly a backpack. I didn't realize like.
Speaker 4: How it was money it was. It was heavy money flowing through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, not enough money to clear samples apparently.
Speaker 4: Exactly exactly, so have they handled her?
Speaker 1: Have they handled it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: It's like it has it been cleared or dealt with or the song just that does not exist anymore unless you.
Speaker 4: Already had it. It doesn't and it hasn't been cleared. And I own that album and I own that recommended back in my possession and thank God for that. And during this pandemic things, where.
Speaker 5: The is that?
Speaker 1: Are there any plans to get the first two organized records on streaming or you're going through a day lossul thing as well.
Speaker 4: With we're in the midst of putting those up soon. But I just was telling Prince, let's do the ship in a real ill, you know, ill way, and not just make it a vaila. Let's try and shoot something. Let's shoot something for a straight bullet, make an announcement, and it would be nice to be, you know, just to be like, Hi, I'm Prince, Pope, Hi, I'm pharaohmont and we are organized for the first time. Yeah, you know, I think that ship would be cool. So to all the heads out there, it's coming. We just want to do it and honor the catalog. It's all we have. You know. It may not be what us some other catalogs are, but it's ours and I want to honor it.
Speaker 5: And that money gonna come in every month.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, with the Desire record, what was the decision process too, Well, I'm saying growth. It's almost as if every one between two thousand and four and two thousand and five was expanding their their creative palette in terms of their presentation, So there's a lot more live instrumentation. Was that just based on not trying to mess with samples anymore? In the whole nightmare of that situation, like what what brought that?
Speaker 5: On?
Speaker 1: One of my favorites on that record was your terror Dom cover.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you man, probably you know, looking back emotionally and psychologically, but more so than that, I had went through so much trauma with the sample and the label shit and uh raucous folded and went to MCA, and then they went over there, and then they was at Geffen, and then it was this, and I was caught up in all that shit. And in the midst of that, uh there was there was some almost uh me going with Shady and then Sylvie and then over here, and then I was just all over the place. And then I finally was like, you know what, I'm gonna just try to be a free agent and get out of this kind of web. And I was finally able to walk from it all. And when I walked from it, I felt free again. And I was like, I don't even know if I want to do this shit again right now in the way that I'm used to doing it. And I had a bevy of songs that I have recorded, and I had love. I was on tour with most and Qua. We was on a Sony PlayStation tour with tour buses. I had landed a publishing gill and I was chilling and I was like, I'm not signed. I don't want to look for a record deal. I'm good and Corey Qualley's manager at the time, Blacksmith, Blacksmith was like, yo, what you're working on? And I put something on the tour bus and I played a couple of songs and he lost it and he just tore me apart and he was like, these songs are great, They're not yours. They're given to you from a higher place. It's wrong for you to hold on this stuff.
Speaker 7: What are you doing?
Speaker 4: You know it's not yours to hold onto, Like, what are you doing on? I don't know. You know, I'm good. I'm on tour with with Most and Quad, and you know, I'm just turned off by the record label shit. And he really beat me up and was like, and you need to give them away? And there was again putting, putting music in context. The industry is changing, like you said at the time, and I couldn't understand. As the nineties do the concept of give the what no record cover?
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 4: Uh like? No artwork? What do you mean? Give this shit? Away, and he was really like, this, it's not really yours, man, you have fans, you need to let it go. I was just like, I can't get the concept. I go on to record more on Me music, and I do realize that what I'm feeling is I want to uplift, So I incorporate Mila Machinko and Showtime Showtime, because I'm hearing that these harmonies can can be uplifting in the song and these tones. And I knew that I wanted to perform and have people feel a certain way because I feel like I was let free from my situation. So I was incorporated, you know. To answer your question, sorry for being long winded. I was trying to incorporate this instrumentation that can make you feel good and get a goosebump, hopefully from the live performance. And that's why the Desire record sounds like that.
Speaker 5: How did you hook up? Man?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 5: What was How did that connection happen?
Speaker 4: There was there was I was moving back and forth between Shady and this and that, and we hooked up and he's responsible for a lot of that. And you know, I was in Detroit, man, it was one of the best times. You know, just being out there with with Black Milk and Guilty and the Non and and that whole crew, and uh, he sold Soulful and he bought a lot of that. You know. That's why I gravitated that way because he sings and you know, I broken heart.
Speaker 5: I'm still waiting for that. I need that to come out on something like I.
Speaker 4: Love that man, Thank you man. And uh, that's that's why I went in that direction because I'm I was like, I need to move people in a in a different way. And that being said, the record that most of the demo got dropped. When I was in Detroit working with the Nan, I was also writing for Puff.
Speaker 9: I wanted to ask you, So I'm feeling I'm feeling really good and I don't have a record deal and I'm just fortunate that d narm is helping me out and I'm working on music again, feeling really fortunate.
Speaker 4: And I'm I'm I'm writing and I'm doing shit, and I don't know where this music is going to go. And there was an actual created and actual bidding war just to push this forward. It was src Puff was loving what he was hearing because he would ask me to play shit when I was in the studio with him No Desire and uh the ship with Alchemists and the different songs that was on that album. People were feeling and my lawyer was like, I can't believe that in this context, in this timeframe, that you actually have three deals on the table Sony SRC and Puff was like, whatever they offer you double that ship, true story, and I was like, I don't believe you.
Speaker 5: I don't believe.
Speaker 4: I don't leaders will work there. You know, we would have the hearts and he would be like why, and I'm like, I tarrell Mont's bad Boy in the building. I was like, nobody's trying to wait.
Speaker 1: That's real, though, I gotta ask only because you know, there's there's a part like Past the mid Arts two thousand and five, two thousand and six, where you just stopped reading credits. So I don't know, but I always felt in my heart that one of them rhymes on Diddy's I'm So Glad You said that press play album.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't want you want to insult you. I was like, wait, it.
Speaker 5: Was a future right, it was, yeah, wait to see.
Speaker 1: Because I always thought that you wrote uh everything I love the one that Kanye did because the way he's riding on about someone's going.
Speaker 10: I was like this, he's penny like coome bar this, And I always wanted to know, did you go write that joint?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: He I sat it was the press Play album, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, press Play sat with him, had a meet with him. He was like, I'm working on an album. I got to meet with him because I had did this publishing deal and the writers there and y'all know how that go. And my only thing was when when I sat with him, I'm like, I'm good. I just want to be credited, which is why I don't have any problem saying what I'm saying because I'm credited as a writer on the song, so it's not like speaquiet right, Okay. And then you know, I just again, I just I just learned so much from him. You know, I thought he credited me so much on my work ethic, but he's really an animal at that ship too, And I watched him and and learned about applying, re applying myself and a different way when it comes to my own shit. Because I'm like, no way, I'm gonna work this hard on his ship and not work that hard on my ship, and just learn so much from him in that sense of how he pushes really good at figuring out how to push your writer or to push your artists. I love that dude for that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I want to know what that process is like when you're is it like does he just take what you give him? Do you have to be there to coach him? Like say it like this, like how how much work does he put into the preparation? Because I mean, he pulled it off to the point where I was like, Wow, he's he really got good at rapping. And then I was like, wait a minute, this guy somebody for him. And then when I.
Speaker 5: Heard I write rhymes, I write checks.
Speaker 1: Right, And then when I heard the rhyme scheme, I was like, Yo, this feels like farah some pharaoh would say. And I was like, there's no way that he reached that deep into the to the wrapper bag. Yeah, to go to go that level, but now realize and he goes in cycles where he's like, Okay, I got to take it back to the beginning. Like even right now as we speak, he I hope I'm not letting this cat out the bag like he's trying to make He's he's now making like Camp Diddy where it's like he has two underground cats, Like he's trying to go back there again. You know what I'm saying, He doesn't.
Speaker 4: You got to realize who he discovered. Yeah, at the end of the day, you got to realize who has written you know, you know we could, we could, you know. Even having conversations with him off the rip, he was like, I know what niggas say about me. I'm like, what do they say? He said they'd be in the barber shops and they be like, I funk with his junes and I don't funk with his music.
Speaker 1: With his music, I can say that I was. I was once a short John model.
Speaker 3: Question because I.
Speaker 6: Do want to know the answer to the question of the process that you asked me about, Like what is that process like? And were you in the studio and there for like all the infections and what again?
Speaker 4: In those heart the hearts? He was like, Yo, if you have an issue, tell me to my face, be honest with me. And that's why I took the job. There's been a lot of ships that a lot of things that I was offered in my career, which is where I'm in the position. I'm not in the higher position that I could be that. I was like, ah, it's just not in my heart to do it. But when he told me that, I was like, all right, nigga, if you're going to be that raw and you're going to be that honest, then then let's do it. And he played me the beats and it was like has it the lawn? I'm like, oh shit, I was like, this is what the A list beats sound like.
Speaker 7: I was like, oh my god, this music is good.
Speaker 4: Let's do it. So he flies me down the Miami and I'm writing and I'm writing and I'm writing and we're nailing the ship and the engineers are in there and they're like, this is crazy. This is crazy. This is crazy. He's going to love this. And he he would come in in the eleventh hour and be like, A maybe the last four bars, you know, going into the thing could be could be a rewrite. And we you know, we work hard on stuff. So I got it done. You know, there was some some great stories down there in my own me.
Speaker 1: What was it like recording down there?
Speaker 4: Not going there. I was working on my album with the Nawn at the same time, and I really was like I want to finish this so I could go back to d Troit and finish my shit. And he was like, Yo, your shit is amazing as well. You might want to think this out. Boom boom boom. I finished my writing. I flew to Detroit and we're working on my stuff. And I'm in the studio with the non maybe Milk may be guilty with chilling and with writing, and I'm having some whiskey and I get a call from Sean C and he says, my brother, I think Puffy's gonna use one of your joints as the first single, first release kind of. And I'm like, you gotta be fucking shitting me, and he's like, you got to hear it. And I was like, send it to me. And they send me the song and the nan has this elaborate studio.
Speaker 5: He puts it.
Speaker 4: In, puts it on, puts it on the big speakers in press play, and all you could hear is laughter. Everybody in the studio is laughing at the top of the ark and lungs because it sounds like Pharaoh manch coming out of Puffy's mouth. Yes, yeah, And I'm like, you know, I actually did it, you know, with I did it with a New York swagger on the demos and it's kind of laid back and it, you know, kind of has like a lot of flavor that I don't even you know, project back then. That's not where I was with it. And it was so ill. So he said, if you have an issue, you can call me. So I was like, I gotta get him on the phone. I want to fly back. I want to re record these vocals. I want to fly back to New York and I want to go in with him and re record these vocals. And I was like, I gotta get him on the phone. And they just steady laughing. It's just laughing in the background, and I'm calling and I'm like, hello, it is Pharaoh. Can I speak to Puff? And it's like Pharaoh, who what? What? Like Fara, can I speak? Hold on? Who what? Pharaoh? Okay, hold on. Finally get through to him and I'm like, just listen to the record. I think we could re record these vocals more laid and relaxed. And he was like, fuck you man, I love this ship. I'm not changing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much talk.
Speaker 5: Wow, wow, man, what what do you think made you go with? You know, go with s RC rather than going with bad Boy or going with like Sony. You know you said some what what how did you choose them?
Speaker 4: I mean, I know what that record was sounded like it was a non and I'm like, I don't you know you I would be like explaining to me how this, how this would work, and you know, it's like I could walk you on the MTV, I could do this today, and this was like, I just don't think if it's the aesthetic unless something else is kind of created. And I love that dude, and I would have loved to have worked with him under his tutelage and got all that extra kind of love, but I just didn't think it fit. There.
Speaker 3: Was that your last experience in the writing? Because did you write some more for other folks?
Speaker 4: I quit after that. It's such it's so taxing. You give all of your heart to his soul and it just this is kind of draining in a way.
Speaker 1: If I say, who did you say no to? If I'm allowed to ask, did he can't be the only person that asks you to hook up his pen?
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, wait, wait, wait, just yes or no? Are these like rappers? That we would respect that we be shocked at or is it like a less celebrities that want to rap based on that. I already know the answer, never mind, and I'm born I think I knew the answers.
Speaker 5: But anyway, uh wow wow. So like once you talk talk to me about like after you left, you know, after Desire and then the years I think, like the four years uh three four years when you came with the War LP. How is it like to get your mind frame of being ready to be an independent artist and like really like doing it yourself in a way that you had never had prior to any point in your career.
Speaker 4: After the Desire album, Steve and we went back and Steve loved a record, yeah, telling me him and his wife at the time, and was it was something that they played and they they had sex to and it was really on some real ship. Like he was like, really record and he was very disappointed I think.
Speaker 1: When he had the War record, No, no Desire to the War record, that's an ex videos channel okay, my bad, my bad.
Speaker 4: Me and immortal Technique and and so he uh, he was like I loved this record and and I was in the system in which I believe that that in that two week frame, little Wayne dropped the Lollipop record and that shit shut it shut everything down. I think it like killed Erica had America, I think at the time, and from what I could see from my optics, it just soaked up all of the moneys from everywhere and they put all their money on on that shit, and we kind of got yeah. But that being said, I tore it off that record. I did Rock the Bells off that record, and it was very well received, and I saw a different level of fan coming in. I remember being on Rock the Bells Overseas with nas and Daylight and the Elevator, and I was talking to Nads and I said, yo, you know, I put this out, and you know, head seemed a little disappointed that I had, you know, the singing and this, and nas imposters like, don't worry. These things are like children. They grow, they mature. Talk to me three years from now and see what it's like. So when I ask people desires is it was up there and and my my solo ship that that people vibe was still brought in new fans, and I was starting to learn that that's okay. As I'm moving forward, so I go back to Steve and then that moment when we're going into the new record, I was like, Yo, I got these samples and ship and I want to do some rock shit and I want to do some of this ship and that shit was like nah. And then I was like I want to leave them and I want to be on the label, and they let me go because we're all mature and whatever and whatever. And Guy Route, my manager at the time, was like, you know, I think this major label shit went over people's heads. You know, you're telling me. People see you in the mall and they're like, you still rapping, and I'm like, I'm want to major right. You know. It was something they connected and the labels is changing and it's going digital and they're missing it. We decided to go into pen It learned under the Tulge tutelage of duck Down and get the game from somebody who's been doing it for twenty five years, you know, and not just jumping to the game. And we talked to them and we went there and we did the The War record, which again for me, you know, from my lens, did better than the Desire Record because we had a record on there. I had a record on there called Still Standing with Jill Scotty that performed extremely well overseas and kept me out on the road, which is obviously the only way I was making money at the time, the only way I could earn so I was enjoying staying on the road.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we did Black Kancide. We shot the Black Kancide video with that was man. That was you. The one you introduced me to Terrence Dance, who is the director of uh Random Acts of Flyness on HBO, and he's also and he's one of one of his homies is also. I don't think he was on set that day, but his man Shaka King, I don't know, you know Shaka Yeah, yeah, you know who's thebody who did the upcoming Fred Hampton joint. But but nah, man, I really the videos that y'all did for that record. I just I remember just telling guy, you know, because we shot our video the Black Hand Side joint with styles P. But before that, Yard shot Clap and I was like, Yo, these ships is like movies, dude, And you know, it always just made me think of you and just wonder if you ever had any aspirations of going into screenwriting because perfect fit of the ship man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wrote all of those. I wrote the concept for black Hand Side with the through the different lens of the shades. I wrote the concept for Clap and Still Standing. And obviously I was lucky enough to hook up with tern Nance, who's uh fucking that is going to do incredible, insane, major major things. But I was lucky to fall into that that laying with him and his cinematographer Sean and get those visuals done, which really really helped the record a lot.
Speaker 1: Pharaoh. All right, so we we got here finally in three hours, explain to me the concept behind the thirteen project.
Speaker 5: Damn, you're gonna steal my one question?
Speaker 1: All right, good Steve asked your question.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love Daru Jones and Marcus Machado, and yet if you could just tell us about the trio, but specifically why you chose a drummer or drums and guitar as as the other two parts.
Speaker 5: As you.
Speaker 4: Know, of course, you know the rock thing has been sprinkled throughout. You know, I had some some ill samples that that didn't make the record of stuff that I was rocking over, and I realized if if I wanted people to take me a little bit more serious than me even saying that word that I needed to incorporate musicians. I liken it to somebody from the rock side saying he's gonna do an authentic hip hop record, and how everybody on this side would be like, yeah, the fuck out of here, and so, you know, I wanted I wanted to at least get a look on that side. I'm a fan of the genre and I respect the genre, and I know people have tried to have done these type of matchups before, so uh, I wanted someone who had who could who could do the late Diller ship as well as had rock chops because a lot of the stuff was straight ahead, and I knew it should be more straight ahead than more laid back in the pocket, you know, thinking about what I wanted, and I wanted to, you know, get somebody who who can understand that. And you know, I know how busy darru is, but I was like, fuck it, yo, I'm doing this project and I need a bit of commitment, and I know cats are always gigging, but he was like, I'm down, and that was like, you know, one of the main things because I needed to do. Obviously a couple of straight live records to make it make sense, but more importantly, I wanted it to keep the temperament and not lose hip hop because that's the core of the shit still. It's the reason why I liked the genre. You know, to begin with, you're talking rush. It's savage as Zeppelin, you know, that's all shit I would rhyme over. You know. I heard Tom Sawyer and I'm like, I don't know any MC who wouldn't want to rhyme over that. So to me, I'm like, that's that's hip hop to me. And it's always been the genre's kind of blending to each other for me. So I knew that was very important to bring in the knots so that the shit is official in terms of that pocket, but then able to expand outside of what you would get and an intro and outro of a record, so we could stretch a little bit. So that's what that's all about. On the musical side.
Speaker 5: What is the what is your almost this fault called it obsession with the number thirteen because you're publishing this stress condecta for over you, which is the fear of the number thirteen. Great. Is that right? So that, yeah, what's that? That's that recurring kind of theme in your career.
Speaker 4: So with the asthma shit, when I got it when I was little, I contracted it at thirteen months of age, and that's what I would hear all the time. People would be like, how long has it been since he had asthma? And my mom would be like, since he was thirteen months old? And I, you know, it just kind of stuck in my head like that. And then as you know, I went on, I was born on Halloween, which is thirty one, and the number just kept reoccurring. And then I'm a big sports fan, and then a lot of the players that I like water number. So when me and Prince picked numbers, you know, his favorite number was eight. We played on the high school basketball team in the art school, so it wasn't really that good and thirteen was my number, and so it stuck with me. And that's just the basis behind that, you know. And it's cool to to do the awkward ship and just I think it's hip hop to be like, yeah, it's supposed to be bad luck, but fuck it. And it's also rock to be like supposed to be bad luck. So that's what the thirteen is about.
Speaker 1: Okay, So not to totally weird y'all out. Okay, So you know, as of this recording, I don't know when this will hit the air, but as of this recording, I just celebrated a birthday and someone was gracious enough to gift me a medium, a three hour session with a medium, and oh wow, nice. Yeah it was deep.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: No no no, they're not nice, not nice.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm saying that's amazing.
Speaker 1: The thing is is that, yeah, you know, I've also been looking at my my my lineage and my bloodline, which the Bedeen people of Africa are also connected to Haitians, and so I'm slowly just discovering that there is a lot of propaganda with the number thirteen and also the number six, which, of course, you know, we've been taught kind of postcolonial Christian America that you know, six six, six is the market, the beast and signed the devil, and there's no thirteenth floor anywhere, none of those things. And I'm slowly realizing in my studies, especially in Haitian culture, that thirteen is actually a holy number, and it's almost as if, you know, the propaganda that that's been used to sort of to tear you away from embracing it, say it's evil, but it's actually that's actually a very spiritual. It's it's for African culture. It's it's a spiritual number.
Speaker 3: So kind of everything y'all do is bad. God damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm realizing this year that actually we need to embrace the number thirteen, which I when I saw the name of the group, I was like, damn, he took my number.
Speaker 5: Man, I didn't know that thirteen is my number.
Speaker 1: Damn it. Did you?
Speaker 2: Did you know Marcus or did Daru bring him aboard or to you?
Speaker 4: I knew Marcus uh from you know Vernie Reed and those cats and family stand and he grew up around those people, and you know, when it came to you know, I need you know, I need someone who could take it there and you know, do some double time or you know, do some funk. You know. His he he was the dude. And uh, I've seen him play and it was like you know, blue Note, and I was like he got that. I just needed to see if he had the edge, and uh, you know, obviously he's a Jimmy fan and and I even needed it a little more edgier than that. And he's just that dude, like he's he's a prodigy, like I asked for. We're still in the beginning stages, so we don't know, but I asked for two dudes who could if we break this ceiling and people be like, I don't know any of these guys. I don't know the fucking rapper, I don't know who any of them are, you know, or run the juice style. I wanted people to be like, I'm here for the fucking guitarists. I'm here for the drummer, like the vocalist is cool. And I asked for you know, cats that can shine like that, because I think, you know, the goal is to take away the pretentiousness of what you get. You know, like I said, I'm trying to deconstruct and I just got tired of seeing dudes in the front with whatever, and I'm like, I need to see a team. So I told them, you know, I didn't want my name on this shit at all, but obviously because of algorithms.
Speaker 5: The algorithm, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: That, like we got to put Pharaoh in here somewhere to take advantage of your millions of people who have locked into you on Spotify and all that shit. So that's what that's about. But if it was up to me, I'd have just been like thirteen. But you know, I'm not as stupid to run away from what I've been working on for thirty years. So that's why my name is even on the shit.
Speaker 3: You know, can you break down?
Speaker 6: Because I think Amir asked you, but when you never got a chance to answer about the concept of the group, and even I mean the videos, there is a concept, there's a focus.
Speaker 4: It's see yeah, you know, it's just anybody who who has a brain and any empathy, you could just feel that the system in the country is way heavy on our spirit and when you think about how do you get back to zero, you know it's going to be some hardhass discussions that need to happen because of the atrocities that this country has founded on. And so you know, in my mind as an MC, I'm like, you know, the only real way to do that ship, the only real way to atone collectively is an exorcism, even if it's with ourselves, and I as an MC, I know people would hit that word and be like woo, And I was like, good, fuck it. You should be scared because this shit is scary that's going on. But it's kind of like the it's kind of like a cleansing too, you know. And it's been cathartic for me as well doing it. And also, you know, we've been kumbayan and praying and all that shit for a long long time now and holding hands, and I just wanted to like it myself and be like, let's just come at this to like real dark and meet the ship head on how it's coming at us, because you know, to keep information from people and to you know, not allow people to have loans to get homes and all the secret shit that's been going on for all these years. It's pretty evil, you know, point blank. And I was like, how about we we we come down to that vibration. I know, it's like light shines on the dark, but I'm like, how about we go there and throw this system a little voodoo and get a little dark with the ship motherfucker's back in the face.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hey, I have one last question before we wrap up, Fronte you okay, yeah, because I feel like I'll get roasted for not asking this question because we asked about like your history, and we asked about your records and your business decisions. But the one thing I never asked was your actual creative process, Like can you just give us you know, and I know MC's and artists have general you know, it just comes when the spirit hits me. But do you idea of a specific ritual, like do you get up in the morning, do you like what is your what is your ritual when you are creating a song?
Speaker 5: Does it come instantly?
Speaker 4: I'm a sponge. I love good conversation. I love talking to people who are way more educated than I am and listening to them and talking to them and and sponging and film and I sponge off of films like this. This, this whole project is probably off of Fury Road, Logan and Joker in a sense that you look at the commitment that I looked at the commitment that Joaquin Phoenix made to that film and literally went back in the studio and it was like, I got to redo verses. I need you to be more committed to the verse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you were one of the first simc's I'll say too, man like you were one of the first casts that I've really someone I respected at the time in hip hop when everybody was trying to be Ja and fifty. I get it in one take, Guru. You know what I'm saying, Like, Oh, I got it in one take. I got in one take. You were one of the first cats I remember hearing saying like, no, I treat my vocals like a performance or you know, treating almost like an actor where it's like, you know, if I got to do it two three times, or even if it's like comping and just okay, I want to do this line right here, you know what I'm saying. And that was so mind blowing to me, and it just opened me up because that was in rap world. That was thought of something that was just so like, oh, you don't do that. We just come in and rap and that's it. It was never thought of as being a performance and treating it, you know, like a voice actor would.
Speaker 4: In the beginning, because you know, we couldn't afford studio to time, it was like you gotta knock that shit out with two MC's on one microphone. You know, it's just you know, as we keep going back to context, but now it's like, do you believe yourself, you know what I mean, Like, listen back to the ship.
Speaker 7: If you ain't.
Speaker 4: Convincing you, you definitely ain't gonna convince Spante, Black Thought, Royce Quest or anybody else. So just listen and see if it is cutting through in that sense and if I if I could get the Yeah, I think I got it and I can let it go. And it's not wrong with that. Like even after Nicki Minaj came out and I noticed how the way they were producing vocals, which we you know, that's a part of making the record. You know, they took that ship to a whole other level. And even on some of the songs or some of these songs, I'm like, I need to, you know, produce the vocals. I am I getting young? Am I giving away? Nah?
Speaker 5: Dude, man, this.
Speaker 6: Is what it is, showing the different aspects of the art too, because like Fante said, a lot of people do just think you dope if you can get it out of one tape. People didn't even think that, Wait a minute, let's treat this life art.
Speaker 3: So no, thank you for that.
Speaker 4: Nah.
Speaker 5: It's real.
Speaker 4: Nah.
Speaker 5: And he's one of the most I've never worked with much in the studio, but the times we have were you know, we would just send each other stuff whatever. I mean, he is just one of the most meticulous. Like I remember you sent me back your verse for the Wee Go Off record we did for my Alum, and you sent me that shit and I was like, Yo, this nigga doing sound effects. He got it. But it was that shit was just what the fuck you know, I needed and that was why I called you like to do just that. And you know that was the time I remember, like when we was back in I think, man, this was even before Minstrel Show came out, because you were one of the cats that we were thinking about putting on on Hiding Place. Me and Pool was talking, you know, about putting you on that record, and you came to Raleigh, I think it came to Durham and we went and got some seafood or something. I can't remember, but we were just talking and you was telling me about the time Desire was about to come out, and he was like, Yo, man, new ship coming. I'm about to be like Tom Jones on this bitch.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: You talking about you know the Body the Body Baby record. I mean, but uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you hear artists and they don't fit. It's all good like you're supposed to be, like, let's see if this guy fixed this puggle and sh it has to work like you know, that's how it's supposed to be, Like you.
Speaker 5: Know, yeah, for everything we've done, like all the records, like you ever reached out to me for I'm just like anytime I have a chance to rhyme with you, I'm just like, dude, just say the word. I'm there whatever. I don't care if produced it, I don't care what it is. Like I'm going ahead to head. And I just always appreciated the way that you just always you know, I could I always tell like the I think when we did the Black Kan side video, that was probably the first time that I really saw and I mean this like in a in you know, in a very beautiful way, just how sensitive of an artist you were, and not like, oh man, I'm sensitive, not like that, but just how intuitive I guess you were, and how you know it was. And it wasn't even on no music shit, it was just we was talking. I never get this, bro. We was talking and I think we had finished shooting for the day. We don't had like one scene left or something. But this was around the time when man, don't I think they hit like Kadafi. This was when all that ship was popping on with Kadafi and his son had got killed or some ship. It was something. I'm all the history people listening to this interview, please don't crucify me. But I just remember someone on set came in and like delivered that news and you were just sitting in this chair and you just looked up and you was like, Yo, they killed Goddaffi's son. And I just would never get to look in your face like he was just like, yo, boy, these crackers ain't ship. God damn.
Speaker 1: He was that look.
Speaker 5: He was like yo. But I just remember seeing that and I was like, man, like you really, you know when you said like a sponge, You know what I'm saying, Like you really I saw the quality in you. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm an EmPATH and it is what it is. I don't know if that's a cool thing to even say, but it is what it is. And I love this ship.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I love I love you, I love I love the little Brother. I love you too, brother, I love I love the roots. And it's cool to say that ship like, I'm a fan fan, you know.
Speaker 5: Bro, when you came. Man, when we did DC, like we was like one of the last kind of shows we did before you know, everything shut down. You know, we had booked d C the same night, and I hit you this, I hit you. I was like, Bro, I had no idea this was gonna happen. I didn't even find out to Athawards, and so I hit you. You were doing the Kennedy Center. We were at Howard Theater and I was like, Yo, I'm gonna come through. I'm talking to guy and there I'm like, yo, I'm coming through, and I'm a you know, feral show.
Speaker 3: That live for a second. You was doing the Kennedy Center. Okay, I'm sorry, damn right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 1: We was in that thing.
Speaker 5: So no, man, I came over and like rock with you and and you know, and then you know, afterwards, I told us, like, yo, were going to LB show and so y'all came over and we didn't get a chance to talk afterward. But bro, I never got a chance to tell you. Man, that ship meant so much for me and Pood to be on stage and we looking in the back and you don't normally in the back, it might be just whoever, right, but we're looking like behind where DJ is and it's you. I think Fame was back there from Mop guys back there, like it's all these dudes that we grew up listening to watching us. And I remember Guy was asking me before, he said, man, you know, if you want much to come on, you know, just just you know, we got you. I said, nah, bro like munch Fame. I said, Man, let them niggas be fans tonight, bro, like, just.
Speaker 1: Dang got you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Just let them chill, you know what I mean? And that meant so much.
Speaker 4: I wish I could have been in the audience that it was so packed in that motherfucker. I couldn't even go out there, like I know.
Speaker 5: Now I would have been a problem, you know, but.
Speaker 4: Like I said, man, you know not, you know, fuck it, man, like flowers, flowers, flowers, you know for what everybody, it's dope to just be a fan fan. It's fun to be a fan fan, you know, so give love.
Speaker 3: It's dope to hear brothers give love.
Speaker 4: Real love.
Speaker 5: We evolved. Niggas go to therapy.
Speaker 3: Brother like I like this.
Speaker 1: Ye y'all talked me last week.
Speaker 2: So yeah, hey, if you love me too, I got a Sugar Steve action figure for you for your top shelf over there.
Speaker 1: Are you probably do I don't think, yeah, he probably does.
Speaker 5: Joke okay, but but nah, bro, I mean I've told you time to time good. But now, bro, you were like one of the greatest like to ever do this ship and you're always in See that makes me, you know, sends me back to the drawing board, and I hear it. I'm just like, holy shit, like I got to step it up again, and uh to be able to maintain that intensity for the last thirty fucking years, I mean, and and with no signs of decline or slipping off or you know, I got you know, I posted early. I bought the thirteen record. I had a chance listen to it yet because I've been like just running around all day. But uh, but nah, man, just from what I heard, you know, I mean, I was like, yeah, manch is doing this ship is Yeah, the visuals, everything is on point, man. And I just want to give you a flowers to say thank you for always showing me that love. I love you respect, Thank you utmost Brothers. Yeah, yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 4: Prior to the pandemic, I was I was difficult with compliments. After this ship, I'm soaking all.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, we'll get your flowers. Man, thank you for doing this episode. It's definitely uh, you know, one one for the record books, one one for our our or what.
Speaker 5: Do you call it?
Speaker 1: Check off the bucket list, the bucket list, right, I was about to say a notch in the bed post. Oh no, exactly.
Speaker 3: Looking good over there, mister.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But thank you for doing the show, man. I really appreciate it, of course.
Speaker 4: Man. And I'm on it. Man. Thank you guys for having me. I need this. I got a new record out. We we we. This's the first week we we came in at sixteen. We did the tiny desk. We got a lot of stuff flowing. So I appreciate this, man, you know, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: No, man, Shout out to God for hooking it up. Shout out my brother God, man like whatever.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right on behalf of on pay Bill and the Sugar Steve and Layah in particular. My name is Questlove. Thank you to the Great paramounts for joining us, and we will see you next week on quest Love Supreme. All right, Red, Hey, this is Sugar Steve.
Speaker 5: Make sure you keep up with us on Instagram at.
Speaker 2: Q LS and let us know what you think we should be next to sit down with us.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast.
Speaker 5: Ust Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.