Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, Well I was I got to say hey hey in Greek.
Speaker 2: Just say it with a Greek accent.
Speaker 1: A A. I don't know. I don't know what a Greek accent sounds like. They actually it sounds a lot like Italian. When I heard people speaking, I was like, that sounds like Italian, but.
Speaker 2: No sense to any of our Greek listeners.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I don't have a good scope of reference.
Speaker 2: Oh man, You're tripis amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we didn't introduce ourselves.
Speaker 2: I'm Tiffany, I'm jealous. Oh I'm Mandy is Brown.
Speaker 1: The Greek edition. No, honestly, I have to say you ever have you ever been like, oh my goodness, I have a taste for something and you're not really sure what and then you order something or you eat something and it's exactly what you had to taste for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure that's what.
Speaker 1: That's exactly how my trip got, like where it was like, huh, what should I order from the menu? Should I get a burger? Should I get this? Should I get that? You know what? I'm gonna go with the fish? And it's like your mouth and your belly is like, yes, this is what we needed, Like Honestly, it's definitely I would say top five trips of my lifetime. And I've traveled to over thirty different countries, but definitely top five.
Speaker 2: Oh my, what did you guys like? What made it so special?
Speaker 1: Pray tell Honestly, it was just because I've been to Santorini before. That's why I went this time. It was because a few things that it's so uniquely beautiful and like just so esthetically pleasing to the eye. Santorini is very chill, like there's a neighboring island. It's a so Santerini's part of like a series of kind of like Greek islands. So Mikonos, which is next to Santorini is like the party island, but Santorini is not. So it's super chill. The vibe is super chill. The food was amazing. It just was so relaxing. I mean it was almost comotose and for the first time, like I did a ton of work before I left, and I was like, everybody leave me alone unless someone is dying then called the doctor and still leave me alone. And so like I checked in kind of like twice in Flack. I was like, is anybody dead and they're like no. And I remember Karen, who is my project manager, said Tiffany, if we have just like a quick question, can we ask it? I said absolutely not and she's like okay, And so like literally I just checked in twice just to make sure because I knew I thought I was like, it's payroll coming up, so I wanted to make sure that like I didn't get like some notification that I had to make a transfer for payroll. So just twice, but I literally did like no work. I think I opened my computer to like watch Netflix a little bit. I used my phone as it was intended for Instagram. It was so amazing. I mean it was just because it was so relaxing and I didn't realize just how much I needed to relax, and I just was so grateful. I came back feeling refreshed.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds awesome. I could cry listening to you talk about that. I feel like I feel like I was asking my husband. I was like, when's the last time we did a vacation that was actually a vacation that we wanted to take. It wasn't like a wedding or a family reunion, and legit we haven't been anywhere since our honeymoon, like a year and a half ago, and I was like, how did that happen?
Speaker 1: You travel a lot, so it feels like, oh, I do go and you're like, no, that was for work. India was cool, but that was for work. Georgia was cool, but that was for this vacation. This, you know, this wedding or funeral or whatever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also talk myself out of it to way too much. I got to get better about that. I feel like a lot of our listeners probably do the same thing where I'm like, it's okay, one more month. Next month, I'm gonna go. The month after that, I'm gonna go. That's what I've been saying. I've been having the exact same conversation with my cell since probably January. Like I've almost planned three or four vacations in the last eight months, and I'm like, this, it's got to happen, like September, it has got to happen October. But here I am doing it again. I'm like, maybe not September, maybe October is better.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it was everything. I went to a black sand beach, which was epic. I took like a boat tour on like this thing like a pirate ship. It was. I want to go back.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't. I don't want to like steal your shine. But I did go to Mini Haha Falls in Minnesota this weekend and Minie Haha for the Ninaman family reunion, yes ha, which honestly was like the most stressful travel trip of my life.
Speaker 1: And I don't even really beautiful boat.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, it's cool. I did go to the Mall of America a bunch. Yeah it's huge, it's pretty big. It sure is.
Speaker 1: Nice, but yeah, I'm And meanwhile, I came back to three hundred you know, typically I keep my emails like around hovering around thirty or forty. I came back to like three hundred and fifty emails because like apparently they were trying something out. We're trying out a new email system. And my project manager told my my my assistant, like, I got the emails, but she was like, wait what wait what does this email do? Wait? And I came back and I was like, why what what? It's so many emails?
Speaker 2: Don't feel sorry for you. You had a week in Santorini.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've said all Sunday like I woke up because I had jeed, Like I woke up like Sunday at like three am. By eight I was still sitting by the computer like my my life is a email because I was like, I'm not going with Monday with a bajillion emails and like starting the week off like this. So yeah, like welcome home.
Speaker 2: I love pre pre Monday work Sunday, right, Yes, I do. I do that too. I don't think it's I think when you have time, I don't know it makes it. If I can do one or two hours just to feel a little bit better on Monday morning, I think it's.
Speaker 1: Worth it is, honestly, and I do. I am. I pregame on Sundays all the time because I'm like, what you're not gonna do is kill me on Monday. You're not going to kill me Monday. Well, you know, I'm glad to I'm glad to be in act now.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to have you back. And hey, you didn't even miss a show. You're so good exactly. Let's hit up the social media real quick. I know we have some posts some people reacting to last week's episode, which if you didn't listen, go listen. We talked about how my disk assessment training changed my life forever as a manager, and I was surprised to see some people actually have taken the DISC training because I had never heard about it till we took it up at my at my company and a couple of listeners we had at who dat Lady Rowe said Mandy Woodjrif listening to this week's b A podcast, I heard about DISC from the Manager Tools pod and we did it as a department. I agree one hundred percent, highly recommend and it totally changed the way I communicate at work. I knew you were a high seat. Yes, I'm a high seat. I'm a high st and it nailed me as a perfectionist. And another tweet from at Ka Nary speaks Christy Calvert. She says at the BA podcast, I listened to the podcast today and I can't get It's love out of my head. Thanks ladies, I love this song. Wait did we sing that song?
Speaker 1: You know what? First of all, I let me tell you what's hilarious is that somebody was like, yo, I can't get the best out of my head.
Speaker 2: I thought that was maybe she's listening to an old episode I don't remember singing that song.
Speaker 1: I don't remember either, but you know we're always singing.
Speaker 2: Digging in the archives, digging in the archives, someone else on and skipping over to the grim. We had one listener so at nacho ins nachosena at Nachos, and Day said, so, I did a disassessment at my last job, and it confirmed everything I said about my work style and added some surprising stuff as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, be best.
Speaker 2: People love the disc. Are you gonna what are you gonna do? Disk assessment for the Budgetissa crew.
Speaker 1: Honestly, at this rate, I'll never dig my way out of what we are already have going on, but I do want to do you know it might do that the retreat. We have a retreat next month.
Speaker 2: Oh perfect for a retreat, mm hmm, totally perfect. There is a I put a link to last week's show notes it's episode one thirty nine. I put a link to There is a like shorter version because some people point it out that disc is like two hundred bucks if you buy it piecemeal, like on your own, which obviously is a lot for a personality test. But Tony Robbin self Help Guru has like a mini version of Disc on his website and it's free. But just know, if you sign up for it, you're giving your email. You're going to get all his junk mail. So I might you might. You might do what my husband did, which just sign up real quick with a junk email and then like just let the emails flood that junk account.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, and a lot of people have like a junk you have a junk email.
Speaker 2: Oh okaunt, Oh yeah for sure. Okay, It's what I give people at checkout, and it's what I give just any time. I know I'm going to get signed up for some newsletter but I want to save ten percent or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, it's time for brown break Brown boo.
Speaker 1: Ooh you know what I'm gonna take. I know what I'm gonna do. Sorry, I just thought about it because I just saw some shadiness on I was in the Twitter streets looking at our brown ambition folks that have been writing us, and I realized that, uh, there's some Twitter beef going on. So I'm actually gonna take a brown break from Twitter boost from Twitter beef because it just seems so ridiculous. So, you know, Nicki Minaj, I'm sure you're aware because you're a millennial heard of her?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So did you know that Nicki Minaj had an ex boyfriend that she was with for a very long time. Some people even say maybe I was her secret husband. His name is Safari. Are you aware?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Am I in trouble?
Speaker 4: If I say no, you're the oldest oldest millennial of time. So anyway, Safari, who has been on love and hip hop? I know, I know all the drop because this is what I do when I'm not doing work. I need some ratchetness anyway.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what happened, but they've been going back and forth at each other on Twitter for no apparent reason. And Nicki Minaj is successful, she's beautiful, she has a new album out, and it just doesn't make sense to I don't know, fight on Twitter on social media. So I just want us all to take a.
Speaker 2: Brown break, Like, who's she fighting with?
Speaker 1: Safari? I don't know they've they've broken up. They broke up years ago, and so it's just Foolishis just made me think to myself that you know how people are, like they'll address like you know their their audience and say when someone says X y z T, you or they'll address some negativity or whatever. And I always say to myself, it's just really worth it, like, you know, like social media beef. You know, I just feel like like just even with our current you know, Commander in Chief addressing a woman as a dog on Twitter. So I just wanted to also take a brown break from social media beef because it just was like it lives on forever and it's so ugly and so unnecessary, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: All Right, I'll stop calling you trash on Twitter?
Speaker 1: You back? I set?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who has time for Twitter? What about me? So I'm gonna give a brown So one thing I really give kudos to this weekend. So my poor uncle, I remember I said, I was at the Niniman family reunion. That's my grandma's side of the family. God rest her soul. So my uncle was in charge of bringing all of these photo albums, like compiling all the photos from the family onto some flash drives and onto laptops and stuff so we can set them up at our little reunion party. And the poor guy had to check his bag at the airport and ends up getting lost. The bag did not make it to the carousel. Either that or someone stole it off the carousel in Minneapolis. But fortunately, I mean unfortunately, because you can't replace you know, the flash stripes with the photos on them, or the laptop even but his credit card had lost baggage protection, and a lot of good travel cards have this, and I think he's covered for some of the monetary value of the possessions that he lost, which is pretty dope. So if you ever lose your baggage, check your check the credit card that you use to pay for the flight and see if you have baggage protection, because it's a nice little perk.
Speaker 1: Is that? Like? Do you know what kind of card he had?
Speaker 2: I didn't ask him, but I know, for example that the like, if you're paying an annual fee for a travel card, it's highly likely that they have some some type of lost baggage protection.
Speaker 1: Oh it does ours. You know, we have the adventure jump on a plane and jump on an airplane card. Remember I never know the.
Speaker 2: Name of our card, good time card.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, is there an adventure? Wasn't aware?
Speaker 2: Let me bookmark back to check during the show and I'll let you know. Okay, but I'm pretty sure it does. But I don't want to misspeak.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh all right, Well we have questions. Question, how you gonna name that band?
Speaker 2: Mandy, name it?
Speaker 1: Name it? You have five second.
Speaker 2: That's a song.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Question how you go? Wait?
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's Destiny's Child. But you didn't do them. I had to work really hard to put that in the right key.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I am off key like a mug. Oh my gosh. Anyway, it's questioned.
Speaker 2: So our first question comes from listener Mikayla. She says, hey, ladies, I love the podcast. You guys are truly goals. I think this may be a case by Kse situation. But how much did you did you all or would you have liked to have saved by age thirty? Sometimes I feel like I'm rushing and my loans feel crippling from time to time. Can I think cation purchase a home and pay back my loan my loan debt from Mikayla, So basically, how much? How much? So we're both over thirty, but how much did we have saved? And how much do you wish you could have saved by age thirty?
Speaker 1: Let me tell you what I had saved that by age thirty. I had negative three hundred thousand. Okay, like legitimately, I owed a mortgage that I had foreclosed on. I had a fifty thousand dollars student loan debt, and I also had like thirty something thousand on like credit card debt and some other debts. Basically, yeah, so it was like a little over three hundred thousand. That's an at age thirty. Well, all my twenty nine, twenty thirtieth birthday, I had to move back home and sleep in my middle school bed and I stay with my parents for about a year. So that's what my life was looking like at thirty. So ideally, I probably would have liked to have I don't know, like maybe like fifty thousand dollars to fifty to one hundred thousand, I guess, like not necessarily saved in cash, but like cash for tiring, like you know, like assets, I guess. But honestly, thirty for me was such a crazy time because it was like the height of the recession, and so I was just trying to be like hmmm, beans and rice or just.
Speaker 2: Rice fair enough, fair enough, And yeah, well thirty was so long ago. It was a year ago, So about a year ago, if I'm not counting, so I didn't have debt when I was thirty, and I did start contributing to a four to one K when I was about twenty four, and I didn't mention. Mikaela says she's twenty two, so she has eight years. I was around her age when I opened up my first four or one K, and I had been slowly steadily paying it off and my income that had gotten increasingly bigger over the years, and by thirty, I would say I had saved about with four one K and my cash savings a little hundred one hundred thousand dollars at age thirty. But that that may sound like a lot of I mean, it is a lot, but I think I only got there because I started saving so early in my twenties and I wasn't earning very much when I was saving. But I'll tell you what happened. The timing was perfect for me, So I started saving in like twenty ten, at the bottom of the market. And so what happened is, like I can tell you one of my accounts I haven't even touched since I left my job that I first opened my four one K. I just kind of kept it in my Vanguard account, and it has made money, money, money, nothing but money in the year since the recession because the market has improved. We just yeah, it's been a really strong stock market lately. So everything I had invested at a low cost back in the twenty ten has just like boomed since then. And I couldn't predict that. But I'm so happy that I started investing early because my money has had time to grow over time. So well, I you a.
Speaker 1: Lucky ducky to have invested at the bottom. Meanwhile, I was like, let's see, I timed the market just right to be like, let me get it at the very tap and crash ooh it's a fun ride down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You I don't know, you turned out fine. I think you're fine at Santorini.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, I mean I definitely was, you know, but it was Yeah. So I say, there's no real rhyme re like, you know what, honestly, this is a perfect illustration, right, Mandy. So you were you know, you got into the market perfect timing and it worked out great. I got into the market the worst timing and it still worked out great. So I guess I hope the lesson in all of that is really just like that, it's not so much it's not so much the things that you can't control, it's the ones that you can. So I lived really simply. I saved safe safe, and I began investing. And it took me really until like thirty five until I was a place to really be able to have enough to start investing. And now that I'm thirty eight and I'm more than fine. So I don't not I mean, the earlier you could start, the better, But it's never too late to do something, and it doesn't mean it's the end of the world just because something bad happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's like really there's rule of thumbs out there, Like I was when I got Michaela's question. I remember JP Morgan Chase puts out this annual guide to retirement and in this guide they have this chart and it's kind of like find your age and then find your income, and then you know, you find the point on the chart and it kind of tells you what your target savings goal should be. So, for example, if I'm age thirty, I'm gonna put this chart in the notes of the podcast. But if I'm age thirty and I'm earning seventy five thousand dollars. This guide says I should be saving at least one point one point one times that household income. So what's one point one times over? So just about one year salary, So seventy five thousand bo boop bee poop. That's eighty two thousand, five hundred. That's how much you want to have saved by that time. Now, if you're listening right now, I know a lot of our listeners are in their thirty and they're in the car right now sweating. If you don't have that much saving and retirement, it's not meant to make you feel bad. If you're saving anything at all, it's better than, you know, obviously, saving nothing. But it's nice to have a goal to aspire to. It's nice to have something to want to achieve. But if you're like Mikayla, and one thing that she also mentioned in her notice that she has about fifty thousand dollars worth of student loan debt with AUTODI, it may not be possible to put that much money aside by age thirty. Maybe the next eight years for you are more about hunkering down and paying off that debt first because you have to look at paying off debt as a form of wealth building as well. I was lucky, and second times over because I went to a state school and I only graduated with seven thousand dollars in student loan debt, so I didn't have the big you know, student loan debt holding me back. And I completely I recognize that privilege. I recognize that fortune because I know, like a lot of my friends are struggling because they, you know, had more student student debt than I did. And you're you're only twenty two, you have so much time ahead of you. Yeah, So I would.
Speaker 1: Say, honestly, I would use the time, like Bady said, use this time to pay down debt. Use this time to stack stack, stack safe, safe, safe, so you can invest, quite honestly, exactly.
Speaker 2: And even if you're paying off your student loan debt right now, which is good, you know, continue doing that. You don't doesn't mean it doesn't mean that you don't need to open up a four to one K. You can open up your four to one K. Like if your company offers a match, at least contribute enough to capture that match, and then you know, contribute what you possibly as much as you possibly can to your four one K and then continue like increasing it as your debt starts going down over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but all in now, if you put the work in, usually something that comes out.
Speaker 2: Yes, maam okay. So next question comes from listener Ashland. That's a cool name. I'm Ashland and I'm brown. Okay, wait a second, there was instructions. She said, please say this in a happy voice. I'm Ashland and I'm Brown. Yes, Aslan, So I have a quick wedding question. Ashland says, I recently got engaged and I've become low key overwhelmed with wedding planning. The wedding date is March thirtieth, twenty nineteen. Before the engagement, I never wanted a big wedding book, girl, things have changed.
Speaker 1: Show.
Speaker 2: I can just tell the parents are here. I can I just feel it coming. Things have changed. We are expecting at least two hundred or maybe a little more. My parents are pastor's guests at the wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ouch, that's like twice my wedding. I know you both understand me when I say weddings are expensive. I want a nice wedding, but I don't want to live in poverty fair enough? How do we as newly weds? What would you suggest regarding how to plan a nice wedding without breaking the bank. Any suggestions regarding how to effectively plan a budget friendly honeymoon would be appreciated as well. So how about those two hundred people? Can you cut like seventy five percent of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Because it's it's just there's no way to have a relatively inexpensive wedding and have three hundred people. I mean, like eat, like what a it's not going to be five dollars person? You know, well how much? What? How much did people cost per person for your wedding?
Speaker 2: I think about one hundred dollars? Actually I'm not I don't think I know one hundred and five dollars per person. That covered food and open bar and the venue and all that kind of stuff. So believe me, when when people didn't show up, I tap calculated how much money was spent.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and that sucks. We don't show up anyway, they owe you money. But I'm the worst person to ask, because honestly, I refused to participate. I was like, I sorry, got just clapping. Refused to participate.
Speaker 2: I refused, Well, you enjoyed that chicken biscuit bart my wedding Dinnis show.
Speaker 1: I honestly, yo, I'm not gonna lie. Mandy's wedding like, hands down, definitely top three weddings of all time, but that e been too. It was so much fun and honestly, and the reason why I didn't have one is not because I didn't. You know, I don't like the next things. I honestly hate planning events. I hate being the scent like if I'm speaking, that's fine, but I don't like personally as Tiffany, being the center of attention. I felt so uncomfortable the whole time. So I was like, okay, guys, bye, okay, guys bye. So yeah, that's why for me. You know, I spent twenty five hundred dollars. A friend of mine let us use her restaurant. It was like a Wednesday, and I got married at just as the piece and I had literally like Mandy, how many people were just saying, was that like maybe like thirty people? Yeah? Yeah, And that was it, Like, you know, we bought liquor from wherever. I'm like, do we even have hooker? I don't even know. I just was like, can you guys go home? I hate this, so but I say this that I would list the things that are the most expensive parts of your wedding and figure out how you can like dress, alcohol, venue, and figure out like what can what can you do, what unique things can you do to keep these these costs down? Because that's where well, I mean, I guess you say, Mandy, like what where were the places where you could kind of say, well, you know what, if we pull back here, we could still have something really nice over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of strategies we use sour our wedding really wasn't unaffordable. I mean, one, we had the wedding that we wanted, so for me, the money that we spent was worth it in the end. So I think what happens if you're not having the wedding that you want and you're spending money on it, It just makes you feel like crap afterwards. So I would say take control early and set barriers. Set ground rules for your parents who want to keep adding guests. Talk to your parents if they're going to be adding guests, see if they'll actually pay for their pay for the cost of adding them to your reception because that's where the real money is spent at the reception. So one area that we definitely cut was on the flowers. We decided early that that's not any money that we wanted to spend, so we just like for my rehearsal dinner, my friends bought flowers from like the grocery store and they looked really nice, let me just tell you.
Speaker 1: And they were beautiful. I mean, I was gonna say, I didn't even notice like no flowers because it was so it was like twilight and you had beautiful flower It was beautiful. Honestly. You picked such a great location in Savannah, which is like one of my favorite American cities, that it just it added to like the ambiance, so I didn't I didn't miss flowers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like the setting, you know, just having it. Destination wedding in general sometimes helps you trim the guest list naturally because fewer people are likely to travel, and that's one way you could do it. If you if you can get away with doing a destination wedding, that sometimes can be more affordable and you kind of passed the cost onto your guests, but then you can kind of bill it as oh, you're getting an experience. Come to my wedding and you Puntacana or Florida or wherever. Yeah, and what Tiffany did too, where you had a private wedding and then a bigger reception afterward. That's one idea to invite some people to I don't know, maybe have a smaller Here's one way you can save, like Tiffany, if you had if you had had your your reception that you had the day after or sorry, the same day that you got married, if you did something like that, like a small intimate dinner where you're paying for everyone's food yliquer, and then afterward you have a bigger party, you know, at a public place where it's not like you're paying for food and drinks or anything.
Speaker 1: I like that A nice idea that could be.
Speaker 2: That could be one option too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and honestly too, if you had the cash, like for the wedding. So let's just say you guys are saving and you have the cash. What I would do, just because you asked about the honeymoon is I would use a travel card to swipe for things and then pay off the card and then you know it earned the points to to to get the flight for free.
Speaker 2: You know what, they mess you up though, because I thought I was going to do the same thing. I mean, I did end up earning a lot of points for my wedding related expenses and stuff that helped me pay for the honeymoon. But I found that a lot of venues will charge you like a three percent credit processing fee. So yeah, and at the most you're going to get three percent cash back on credit cards now, so it's like it kind of negates, oh, the value. So if just just pay attention to that, don't swipe if there's like it'll it'll take away the benefit if they charge a credit processing fee. So just keep that in mind. And I mean, you still have time to do what I did, which is take out a credit card that had a good sign up bonus and then you know, as long as you can afford it and you can fit it into your finances and then use it so that you have some points in the bank that you can then use and put toward your honeymoon and.
Speaker 1: Twenty nineteen, Okay, that's smart.
Speaker 2: But at the just just barriers, man barriers, ground rules, keep the parents in line, Like just take controls your day. Yeah, if you piss. I think people are so afraid to piss people off, and like you know, they want we want to please everybody on our wedding, and it just so quickly can become everybody else's day but yours. And I'm really proud that we were able to keep our day about what we wanted and when we found valuable. And also shout out to my family for not being ridiculous drama queens. But if that's what you know, you talk about your parents wanting to invite more people, just set ground rules, ask them to contribute, and don't be shy about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be crazy. Because when my friends got married and she cut her mother off from invitations, her mother started photocapping it.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I don't care what they look like. I'm giving it to my friends. I was like, oh my yo. Her wedding was with donkey like it was. I. I had never seen that many people in one place. I'm like, this is a fire hazard. And she looked angry the whole wedding and I was like yea, ye oh for her, I know. Literally, I turned to my mama, I looked at her. I said, never and she was like, I know. I was like, we're not doing this, Like I this is crazy. She's like, it is honestly, her mother took it too far, but you know, it ended up well. She's got like three beautiful kids and she's been married for like, I don't know, ten years now. So it was one day, but I'm sure it's one day. She looks back at it, she's like, my mom's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, good luck Mikayla or sorry, good luck Ashlyn. One last question, let's do it okay. This one comes from listener Charrelle. Okay. Charrelle says, when I was twenty one, dumb and in love, I made a terrible financial decision as you do, as you do. Yeah, how do you know I knew?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: I knew?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So, she says, my ex boyfriend co signed for my car because I didn't make enough money to get the car I wanted. He offered to do it after I refinanced. Two years later, we broke up, but then after that his credit sucked and I decided to return the favor when he asked me to co sign a car for him. So she thinks, so she's paid off her car. She refinanced out of her loan to get him off of it, and then he comes around later and asks her to co sign alone for his car. Okay, So she says, it's been three since he's had the car and he's never paid the car note on time and has done and hastip multiple times asked for a deferment. I've pressed him about refinancing it so I can get off the loan, but he always says I'm working on it. Fast forward today, I get an alert from Credit Karma that my seven hundred plus credit score has dropped to the six fifties. Yeah, he's over one hundred or sorry, he's over one thousand dollars past due on his payments. Right now, part of me wants to tell him to turn the car in for repossession, and I'll have to swallow that because I made a poor financial decision based on emotions. So my question is what's worse a whole bunch of late payments or a voluntary repo. I'm going to have a nervous breakdown because I've worked so hard not to have lazy, lousy credit like the rest of my family, and I want this situation to be over in the least detrimental way. I really love your guys opinion on this.
Speaker 1: First I was like, yeah, he calls out of you girl. Yeah, that's this mistake. And I was like, oh, after.
Speaker 2: The broken up, that's so.
Speaker 1: I I you know, I'm not gonna say I've never I let me tell you Superman and I got into like a very strong conversation when he wanted me to well, it wasn't even because if the worst arguments are always the fictional ones, like he was like, I would say, oh, I told him I would never co sign, and that can you imagine we weren't even there was nothing to co sign for, just the fact that I was like, for the fictional car that you're not getting, I would never co sign when we were boyfriend and girlfriend. What that's so terrible If you're my girlfriend but you're not getting a car so you have you're his girlfriend? What that I should co sign? His other girlfriends have co signed, and I said, and they were foolish, like, that's not My dad always taught me that, like, you don't co sign for everyone. He even told me, not even for your sisters. If they want to borrow money, then you lend in. If they don't pay it back. That's one thing, okay, but don't co sign for anyone. And I remember we got it was like it was like a week long strong debate over something we weren't buying. It was just the thought that I would never co He couldn't believe it. But yeah, because co signing is you're attaching yourself to this person's decisions and you don't have as much control as you like. I mean, I don't know which one is worth. I mean, honestly, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: It's gonna they're both gonna hurt your credit. Like a voluntary repot is going to go on your credit report. Mispayments are going to go on your credit report, and they're gonna stay there for seven years, which sucks. But I would say staunch the bleeding as soon as possible. Yeah, I mean, I don't know how much power you have in it to initiate a voluntary repossession, but just know what the voluntary repost. So what's gonna happen is they're gonna sell your car and then if the loan balance is if there's a loan balance left over, so let's say the car is only worth three thousand, but he has a five thousand dollars loan, then you're still on the hook for that two thousand dollars payment. So if you're really thinking about doing a voluntary repo, just be ready to help him pay off that debt. I mean, it sucks. It's it's either wait on him to get around to doing it, or I like, eat it, like you said, eat the fact that it was a bad financial decision and help him pay it off so that you can, you know, wash your hands and be done with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so one one major bump versus continue him continuously being late and late and late and late and dragging it out. I agree. But yeah, I mean it's a good lesson. We all make for financial mistakes. There's no way to avoid it. It's just what do you do after you make them. Do you stay there and kind of like stew in it, or you do take action? And the thing about it is, I always say, when it comes to budgeting, debt or credit, if I had to have an issue, I'd rather a credit issue because there are things that you can do fairly quickly to raise your credit. Budgeting and savings and debt take more time and discipline. If you ask me than fixing credit exactly, we look at you examtly. We're all gonna sound like my husband, sister's husband.
Speaker 2: It finally got to me three years in.
Speaker 1: Do you have husbanisms that you say? You're like, when did I start saying this.
Speaker 2: He's got me saying come on man, after ed I love that, and we stay at the same time. Now it's really really bad. I gotta stop saying I.
Speaker 1: Don't even know what's something the Superman says, like one of my friends said it, well, one of our like our couple friends, and she was like, oh my god. She was like, I was asking what did I get this from? He's like Superman says that. He says, you know what, whenever he's done, he's I'm just gonna fade the black. You know, I'm just gonna fade the black. That's you know. So like I heard her saying, I'm like, wait, fade the black. That sounds like Superman. She was like, I think that's where I got it. I'm like, we all eventually sound like Superman.
Speaker 2: But yeah, remember I said I was going to give you the answer, so chase the card. We're talking about the lost baggage coverage. So the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card is the one that we have, and it does have lost luggage reimbursement up to three thousand dollars per passenger.
Speaker 1: Yes see that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great little benefit. So keep that in minds. And it's it's another reason to book your travel with a travel credit card. Credit card in general, because you're on you know, you might have more protections, but then if you get one with extra protections like that, it gives you that extra bit of security.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie, and I am not a huge Chase fan, but I do like that card. So because Chase has my house, So you know, there's that Think of.
Speaker 2: It this way, like you're making money off of them and they're losing money because of you. Because as long as you are earning rewards and paying your balance off like they're they're they're barely making money off of you. I guess. I guess they make a little bit every time you swipe your card. But you know you're getting yours too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm getting mine. I just don't have my house though, Chase. You forgot about that. You know what, I'm gonna come down it's fine. I'm in a better space now. No, I'm fine. All right. Well that was a awesome session of broad ambition.
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling it a session like therapy.
Speaker 1: You guys can always hit us. We love, love, love to get your messages. Definitely tweet us at the BA podcast. You could use the hashtag broad ambition as well, because I look at that too. Hit us on Twitter. We are what are we on Twitter? Well, we just type in broad Ambition at the b A podcast on Twitter because we love reading your your your your tweets, your your not your Twitter. I'm meant to say, I G what are we on ig?
Speaker 2: At Broad Ambisson Podcast, We're that.
Speaker 1: Too, So we love reading those things. So I just love especially me. I'm like, oh yes, tweete