Speaker 1: Episode four oh three of Bucco Banter, presented by Brave Bean Coffee Company. The Pirates are on a skid, let's talk about it. You're listening to the Bucco Banter podcast, brought to you by the j Just Baseball Media Network.
Speaker 2: They music fak, you're one o one.
Speaker 3: You see a couple of me in My Taste with me and my lemonade, because I let the way taste best seats as the pirates can he let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste.
Speaker 4: Oh hyde is a Lloyan.
Speaker 3: Take my date to my dates or the stick by the plates in the case. Have the case from my race at my paste clinted brass, That is snake.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Banter, and things are not well over here in the burg voice Wah wah is that your mixer?
Speaker 2: No? That was me? Believe it or not? Pretty good?
Speaker 4: Right, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I've been practicing because baseball hasn't been good, So what.
Speaker 2: Else can I do?
Speaker 4: Slee poop?
Speaker 2: Right, I complete ploop?
Speaker 1: Who knows, man, it's been seventeen days of less than ideal baseball. Seventeen days in a row where it was the most important stretch of the season. This team, I can't emphasize enough how much they haven't had a break literally and figuratively right the weather between Canadian wildfires to rain delays to extra innings to then just not getting a break after the All Star break. Seventeen games in a row, and during that stretch you go five and twelve, three and seven in the last ten. You haven't won a series since Cleveland, if my memory serves me correctly, sounds all right, And what an encouraging start that was in Cleveland because the one game that you lost you should have won, and then you go and fix the bullpen. Obvious that's more recently than not, but Scott, it has been an absolutely brutal watch even for US guys to try and look at the glass half full and how anything can happen in baseball and talking about stacking wins and not having to start over series after series. This is not a good Mets team that came to town. But then you have to look at the Pirates and say, like, is this what it is right now?
Speaker 2: Because yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 4: It does seem to be what it is right now, they're on a skid man, and that was why it was nice to see Jack Manghan try to fire up the team on Saturday. And he's been a guy that If we don't have a guy like him right now, I don't know where this team would be, to be honest with you, Yeah, it's it's they're going on a skid on at the very wrong time. They seem lifeless and they're not beating teams they should beat. Right we lose the series to the last place Reds. We just lost a serious the last place Mets. We can't buy a series, like you said, since Cleveland. And it all comes back to their struggle offensively after the All Star break, which is surprising. I know they're without Connor Griffin and the Odell Cruz at this point, but you still got some other guys. Ryan o Hearn is also out that those are key pieces. I don't want to diminish that, but their inability to hit left handed pitching is really concerning, guys, really concerning. It's like almost a guarantee that a lefty, no matter if it's Sean Mania or Clayton Kershaw, they're gonna look like prime Randy Johnson against us like it's it's a tough watch, guys, it really is. And we talked about this before started recording. They had the traject machine and Jay brought up Michael Bush from the Cubs increasing his production against same handed pitching this year by using the traject machine. I think his WRC plus went from the eighties like one to eleven. That's nothing to sneeze at. And this is a guy that has been known to be bad in terms against left handed pitching, especially the beginning of season. He had a really rough start the season. But it's not like this roster is built to notwithstand left handed pitching. That's the part that puzzles me the most.
Speaker 1: The Pirates WRC plus first lefties ranks twenty fifth in Baseball.
Speaker 4: Scott, I'm shocked it's not thirtieth, So.
Speaker 1: Am I because it's become a joke around the ballpark. It really has. It's upsetting and we joke about it. Oh no, another soft tossing lefty Candelaria could have started today, right.
Speaker 4: I told Jason Mackie in the press box, I was like, I think you can grab a kid from West Mini throwing high seventies, low eighties throwing left handed that could get this team out right now.
Speaker 1: And people believe it. It's shocking. And you mentioned the technology that we have. You literally have technology that can mimic everything about any pitcher on the planet, and these guys just can't get it together. I don't know if it's just a mental block at this point, but Brian Reynolds at one point thirty two is the only qualified pirate with the mark above eighty two for WRC plus first lefties, and you mentioned it's something like they're totally built in the opposite direction. You got switch hitters, right, nickensalz has good splits or well, i'd say no, Nickensaws is bad splits. You know that's the problem, right, is the right e's that you have on the team aren't necessarily taking advantage of the lefties that you're facing. And as good as Nickingzalez has been this year, it doesn't benefit you in those types of situations, right, And the same.
Speaker 2: Goes for a lot of the other guys in the team.
Speaker 1: So you talk about how important this trade deadline was, and I love what they did with the bullpen, but you needed someone else And I don't even know if won bat at this point really fixes it.
Speaker 2: Like we could talk about.
Speaker 1: Bringing in a Taylor Ward or someone of that caliber, but does that really make a difference right now?
Speaker 4: No? Probably not. And I finally understand Ben Sharington's infatuation with stoft tossing lefties, because boy, could we use the one right now, not even just for our rotation, for a different look. I think we've got like the same type of look coming out of from the right side in our rotation all every every day. But that being said, having opposing them has been really tough for us. There's there's a name that was floated out today. Austin Hayes was DFAD I believe by the White Sox. Was just signed by the Padres. And I love how aggressive the Padres have been given that they don't have the best roster. They're starting to move up the standings. And you know that's just aj Preller to a t. But Austin Hayes against left handed pitching two eighty two career, three point thirty nine four seventy seven WRC plus, we could use that. We could use that. And that being said too, like I know, we've got a lot of outfielders that are you know, buying for time right now, that would probably not just did some back down the triple A probably necessary. But as Merlin going on a cold streak right now, that doesn't help matters either, because that's the guy we're relying on against left handed pitching. He's just on a cold streak right now. And am I concerned. No, But it hasn't helped matters. It's it's been magnified in this time, in this losing it streak or the skid that this team has been has been on.
Speaker 1: In August, just in August, he's hitting fifty nine, he's got one hits, got twelve walks, twelve k's. It's we knew it was going to happen at some point, right like guys are going to be able to figure you out. It's the major leagues. They're not letting him get his hands extended anymore. There's more data out there in order to execute pitches on his Maryland. But how reliant were they on him providing a long ball right after the All Star break.
Speaker 2: Right right now? Too reliant?
Speaker 1: And then going back to the point I was trying to make before, guys like Marcello's Una weren't helping you out right, like you weren't getting that slug from anywhere else in the lineup. And it just doesn't help that Orwitz is coming back off of injury, O'Neil Cruz is still on a rehab assignment. He hasn't looked good on his rehab assignment again very early. But at this point you have to start questioning is it more likely over than not? And I hate to be that guy, I really do, because I think anything can happen in baseball.
Speaker 2: Again, I really do believe that.
Speaker 1: I truly believe that as a former player witnessing it myself in other situations. Now, you know, you look at the Red Sox and teams like that. Obviously there's different talent levels in different situations, but anything can happen in baseball. This is a really fun game, really hard game.
Speaker 2: For a reason.
Speaker 1: I think that you could still take advantage of the ebbs and flows of baseball. But it's hard not to look at it just objectively and say this doesn't look good right now.
Speaker 2: For the Buckos.
Speaker 4: As I mentioned earlier in our live show, A Brave Bean, this team is you'd think overdue for a run, right they haven't strung together more than four to five wins at a time this season, So you'd think maybe not a twenty nine to five record like the Red Sox had over the past month and a half, but something like a ten game winning streaker or winning twelve to fifteen would be something plausible for this team, Like anything can happen. They're not ten games below five hundred yet, but they're getting there very quickly. Boys, And this is why we talked about in May and beginning of June, like, don't wait to improve this team, and we're starting to see the effects of being too conservative middle of the summer. Now they're like, it's it's do or die now, and it didn't have to get to this situation.
Speaker 5: In regards to it being over, Guys, I think I'm gonna give them till the end of the Marlins series because the only reason I still have optimism in that sense is that they're objectively a better team than Miami. Miami sold of the deadline and got worse, and they're also going to face three Right's in that series, and I think we're gonna talk about that in a second. The Piers are still one of the best offenses in baseball against right handed pitching, even with these struggles. So if they go into Miami and they just can't hit these rights and just can't do anything against this weak Marlins team, then I think it might be a little bit safer to say that it's over boys, because at that point, I mean, we're five and a half back right now. If you can't make up some ground against a team that you should be beating that's throwing you your bread and butter with right handed pitching, then you're you're almost You're so far back at that point that even if you get hot and going a streak, there's just no there's not enough time to play catch up at that point.
Speaker 4: If it makes sense, yeah, I mean every game becomes must win at that point, right Jay, and I totally agree. I think it starts in game one because we got big on big with schemes versus Yuri Perez and Euripez is a guy that has dominated us in the past. But again, like you said, these are arms that we've typically done well against against the righty arms, especially this season this team, but Miami, even though they're one game above five hundred, I would agree this we are a better team than the Miami Marlins is just hopefully this day off does us some good because survives just seem at an all time low right now.
Speaker 2: They just strike out too much. They do. It's been a problem all year.
Speaker 1: If you look at the box scores, if you look at the stats, if you look at the league ratings or rankings, I should say this team just strikes out a lot, even when they're winning ball games. They have a high k rate, third highest strike out rate in baseball first lefties alone, twenty five point four percent. Jake, pull up for me when you can where they're at just overall, because I believe they're top five. If not, I think they've struck out the most times in all of baseball. It's hard to win ball games or stay competitive when you're not having competitive at bats. Right there's a difference between working counts and having meaningful at bats to just an absolute zero. And they're the fifth in baseball right now in strikeouts. Good job, Jay, fifth in baseball. So striking out's bat. We talked to Ryan O'Hearn at the beginning of the year. It's it's the worst thing you can do.
Speaker 2: People. Hey, guys hate it. It's not a fun part of the game.
Speaker 1: I understand it is a part of the game, but when it becomes such a big part of the game, it's pretty bad.
Speaker 2: This seems to striking out twenty four point one percent of.
Speaker 4: The time as a team. That's crazy the time this seems striking out. Who's above them? Jay, I'm just wondering in terms of like krate to win percentage correlation.
Speaker 1: Here, I can't imagine it being anyone significant.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is the Angels, Reds, Yankees, and Orioles that.
Speaker 4: Are The Yankees are an outlier, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: The only team that also has a twenty four percent that's under them is the White Sox. And then, by the way, it drops off out like a full percentage point after that, it goes from twenty four percent to twenty three percent then at seven. So like, there's literally only twenty six teams in baseball or that. Sorry, there's twenty six teams in baseball that strike out less than twenty four percent of time, and the Pirates unfortunately find themselves on the other side of that.
Speaker 1: So good, Let's stay positive real quick. Since the Ulstar break, Bubba Chandler has been really good. Scott twenty two innings, eighteen K's two O five era only seven walks four starts stretch after the All Star break is the only the second time in his career where he's walked seven or less while allowing five or less runs in the four start period.
Speaker 2: Kind of similar to what Bubba was doing at the end of last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this was my Like I said, I picked a click for the second half. I think, you know, him stepping up would be he for this rotation. And guess what, boys, the two wins we got this week were when Bubba was on the mound. So you know, it's unfortunate the last few outings that Paul has had because I really do believe ultimately this team goes as Paul goes. Even though this is a very talented young rotation, they need Paul to be a better version of himself. But Bubba stepping up is definitely a plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one else has, No one else has. I think Braxton's been fine. There's the innings limit concern, but.
Speaker 4: We all expected to see like some fatigue with Braxton. He's never pitched this much before, right, I think it's it's not surprising at all that he's maybe had some outings where he's not been himself. If anything, I'm sure they want to expread some starts out in the second half. But right now you're getting to a point where, like, do you if you get if it gets as bad as it can get, do you start maybe ending some seasons? Now I know that's early to say.
Speaker 2: That, but yeah, who do you spread those starts out with?
Speaker 4: Barco You September? Call up Connor Whitgriff maybe. And it's also that's like you're lefty, that's your other look. That's a different look from what you have. I know Hunter bark is left you too, but Connor Whitcriiff is more of your like pitchability guy. Right, So I think you have options that Thomas Harrington hasn't been good this year in Triple A. You you maybe can piggyback Antoine Kelly with somebody Wilburt Hotel. Like I know they've pitched out of the bullpen when they've been in the big leagues, but like you have options.
Speaker 1: For sure, Wickgriff two point six and forty eight and the third innings pitched in Triple A. So he's been really good in indian Indianapolis, Scott, I know it's really easy to get pessimistic right now. And when you get pessimistic, you might not have a clear mind commit a crime.
Speaker 2: You might commit a crime.
Speaker 1: You saw her going with that, You know how, my bro is it's really easy to see where I'm going a lot of the times, Okay, I'm not here to fool anybody, and you shouldn't be fooling anybody. Theft, deception, robbery, battery, assault, all that's bad. But if you find yourself in a buy and you should call the fine folks at Farrell Weaver an Oaken criminal representation of representation, whatever you need, they have you covered because when it matters, most experience matters. Call Farrell Weaver in Oakin today for a free legal consultation. Boy will I need it?
Speaker 2: Scott? Boy? Will I need it? And you know what, I know you've used them in the past.
Speaker 1: Countless times, like a like a concerning amount of times have you called the hotline at Farrell Weaver in Oaken, And I think I might start have to give the I'm gonna have to give them a call here pretty soon, I really am, because it's it's a difficult life. We live of crime and we want to be good guys, we really do. But thankfully the folks at Farah, Weaver and O can have us covered. I'll give it another shout out this weekend, just because the Mets had a lot of guys with forty four pros and we talked to all of them. Dude, these gloves are incredible and we gave one away at the game today as well, or I should say on Saturday. And the look on that kid's face when we gave him a forty four pro custom glove was unbelievable. And you can go to forty four pro dot com and use code Buco twenty and you get twenty percent off a fully customizable glove. You could throw a baseball card in one of these gloves, the Pokemon card, whatever your heart desires. Go check them out forty four pro.
Speaker 4: Dare I say it? Dare I say it?
Speaker 2: Say it?
Speaker 4: You could not have just one, but two Italian flags on the club too.
Speaker 1: Again, talk about Colin Farrell, Weaver and Oakan. That should be illegal. You shouldn't be able to do that.
Speaker 4: Shit.
Speaker 1: They allowed Scott to do it, and this is America, so why not throw eight hundred Italian flags on your baseball glove that's totally fine where we live, Scott. I think this is a good transition to talk about the Marlins.
Speaker 2: What do you got for us, Buddy.
Speaker 4: Well, the Marlins entered the Series sixty and fifty nine, third in the NL East, just above the Nationals and Mets. Tuesday, luckily we get a day off, but Tuesday we've got Paul Skins versus Yiy Perez. As I mentioned before, Big on Big this year year he has a five and nine record, three sixty one ERA twenty games started, a one hundred and nine point two innings pitch, one hundred and twenty one ks and one thirteen whip comes at you with a four same sink or slider sweeper change curve. The fastball sits in the upper nineties, creates creates tremendous extension at his six foot eight frame, making the pitch up here to jump on hitters. The slider generates substantial swing and miss when he can bury it below the zone. Avoid chasing that pitch when behind in the count, because that's what he's gonna go to. The change gives him a legitimate weapon against left handed hitters. The command can waiver when extending at bats. This is a power arm. Boys, this is a guy that we struggled with in the past.
Speaker 1: Wednesday TBD for the buckos, you're gonna face right hinded pitcher Jansen Junk this year five and seven of the four to six three era in sixteen games, eighty one and two thirds innings, pitch sixty two k's with a one to three six whip. The arsenal is a for seing, sweeper, sinker, cutter, change. You're getting a little bit of everything here. Doesn't overwhelm hitters with velocity, but he gives hitters a lot of different looks and relies on pitch mix, sequencing and deception.
Speaker 2: The slider sweeper combo.
Speaker 1: Is the primary put away option here, goes to the pitch early and often. The changeup is used against left handed hitters to generate week contact below the zone does not walk a lot of guys here all right, runs extremely.
Speaker 2: Low walk rate.
Speaker 1: So couple that with hopefully not striking out a ton and could be interesting for Jans and Junk.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. Jansen Junk is an eighty grade picture name. Junk. I mean, that's that's incredible. Let's go.
Speaker 2: It would be your by the way.
Speaker 1: You can get all these at bucko banter dot com. If you put in your email and then opt in, this will get sent and rent to your inbox real quick, and j feel free to jump in. You have an ultimate picture name like Jansen Junk really good.
Speaker 5: I can't think of anything better than that. Honestly, that's pretty perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a Royals picture name Scott blew It.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good. Ball four is a good one too, just ball four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good one. Terrible one.
Speaker 2: It's a bad one for a picture.
Speaker 4: That's that's the point.
Speaker 2: I know. It's we're talking about good picture names.
Speaker 4: Junk is by far the best.
Speaker 2: I can't think ee, I'll go with that. What's here?
Speaker 4: Yours on? Adam?
Speaker 1: I said it strikeout McGee, my son, strikeout McGee.
Speaker 4: Spencer Streider sounds like a guy Ben would love as a big extension.
Speaker 2: Guy, big extension guy.
Speaker 4: So let's go to Thursday, Game three. Guys. I see a little bit of a pattern here, because game one you got the power arm in Uri pros. That's why I say it's so important to get out in front in game one, because then you've got two pitchability guys. Guys, that are going to pitch the contact not overpower you. And Thursday we get Tyler Phillips versus Braxmann Ashcraft Tyler Phillips three and five with a three forty seven ERA. This year twenty nine games started ninety three and the third innings pitch seventy k's in a one three six wip. We'll come at you with a four seam sweeper, sinker, cutter and change. The fastball doesn't have elite velocity, a ride heavily dependent on location. He lakes to establish it early in counts and used it to set up his secondary offerings. The sweeper slider is his best secondary pitch, used as a strike stealer or a put away pitch. The tax hitters limits free passes and keeps a ball on the ground. This is the guy that's gonna sit at ninety one ninety two maybe, but he's also got a lot of energy on the mount. He served in a back a high light patrol last year. You're going to see him punch his face and do all kinds of crazy stuff on the mound. A lot of energy, but a guy that should not overpower us from the right side.
Speaker 2: Cool Who are the hitter and pitcher of the Week.
Speaker 4: Scott, I'm gonna start off and give you the hitter of the week. It's going to be mister Jake Mangham the mayor ever heard of him. Eight for twenty seven this week, played in all seven games, had a three point fifty five OBP, three doubles, a home run which was honestly a shot today to one of the deepest parts of the field. Four RBIs in a stolen base. He continues to be the catalyst at the top of the lineup pitcher.
Speaker 1: We mentioned him earlier in the episode, Roy Rubin Chandler, or as you know him, Bubba eleven and two third, seven hits, two earned, five walk ten k's twenty four whiffs and two starts. Really good to see Bubba mature as the season goes along, kind of rein in that walk percentage a little bit that walk rate, stay.
Speaker 2: Around the zone a little bit more, and really.
Speaker 1: Show his true stuff. So good for Bubba Chandler. Bucko banter picture of the week.
Speaker 4: Boys, it was not the week that we wanted, but the internal optimist of me says, let's take the day off tomorrow. Cool our heads and let's go down to Miami with some some anger. Right Let's let's let's punch him in the mouth right away. We have an opportunity here to go on a run. This team is due for one. You can't tell me throughout the whole twenty twenty sixth season. This Pirates team is not going to go on a run. They're due. So let's let's keep that positive mindset until we can't anymore, and hopefully we have something more positive to talk about next recording.
Speaker 2: I think we will.
Speaker 1: I think we will, mainly because the third tailgate is on Saturday. The Renegade one of the greatest collouds of all time, Bucco Banter, the Renegades of the Rotunda Federal Street lot, the same one that we've had the past two tailgates that have been awesome. I See Light There's a reason I'm drinking I See Light Mango during this podcast. Not because I'm sad. I'm a happy guy, and I'm gonna be even happier this weekend when I got a cold icye mango in my hand courtesy of Iron City that will be at the tailgate and maybe some other sponsors as well. But more importantly, it's gonna be a great time, great people. You can RSVP if you go to our page or you go to the Renegades of the Rotunda page. But Captain Chris and the crew will be there as well as all the Bucco Banter boys. Can't wait to see everybody out there at three o'clock this Saturday, and then maybe some news coming up. Hey, we're constantly working over here. It's still up to something. Season at Bucco Banter. We're up to something, so stay tuned.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I'm excited. Some big stuff ahead of us.
Speaker 2: So excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as you can tell. Look at me. I could fall asleep in a minute. But now some big stuff ahead. Boys excited for the Renegade, come out, come, come talk some bucks and we'll see at the ballpark next weekend.
Speaker 2: Until next time, Raise it oyted.
Speaker 3: Best seats at the Pirates and they let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh, why see is a lawyer? Take my date to my dates or the stick by the plates?
Speaker 1: Nick