Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. We are here because on July twenty second, Open Ai and Hugging Face disclosed that two powerful AI models went out of a sandbox or closed testing environment, gained Internet access, and then were able to hack hugging Faces systems in what was seen at the time as a watershed moment in AI safety. And now an investigation has been in part concluded and there's been time to assess what happened. Hugging Face CEO Clem DeLong is here to discuss exactly that, and I think Clem, that's probably the best place to start. What happened.
Speaker 2: A lot happens right in the past few weeks, we noticed this closed as you mentioned, the first kind of like publique instance of an autonomous AI cyber attack. We we defended ourselves against it with with an open model, interestingly coming from from China.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: And we learned that this came from from Open Ai. Literally, when you when you think about cyber attacks, you think about nation states, you think about UH, you know, hacker groups, you don't really think about you know, one of the most prominent American AI company UH.
Speaker 3: And obviously since.
Speaker 2: Then, we we learned that Entropic was was also facing some of the similar issues. So really, uh, you know, unprecedented kind fla like event happening here new development in in the Saga.
Speaker 1: Of AI, we will discuss what has been highlighted by this, which is closed versus open debate China's work on AI America's response to this. But going back to the very basics, this was two powerful models from Open Ai right one least one unreleased, but they had their guard rails lowered for the purposes of evaluation Open Air. I said to the models. They instructed the models go out and do something, and I think it would be useful to the audience for you to explain that part, whether the Open Air models were just following instructions or if they were ais that went rogue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Joked with the team a few days after it was announced that sometimes we ask agents to think outside of the box, but we don't want them to think outside of the sandbox in that In that case, I think, I think it was a mix of kind of like you know, mistakes and kind of like the systems Internity. I think, weren't you know, good enough to prevent this to happen?
Speaker 3: After that. On our side, the attack was really interesting.
Speaker 2: Over seventeen thousand different actions taken over four and a half days, So the speed and the volume of the actions taken were nowhere close to what human cyber attacks could be. It wasn't particularly smart or sophisticated. It was more kind of like someone described it as a bear robbing really everything in the system to try to find the honeypot in a way. But obviously because it's an autonomous AI system, it does that pretty well.
Speaker 1: After the disclosure on July twenty second, you got on an aeroplane and flew from Miami to San Francisco in part to get with the Open AI team and do this investigation. You just said that the systems were not in place to prevent this happening. More about that prevent what happening? Where were the points of failure?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't talk for for them, but from what I've understood from what they released, and I think they're going to release more in the coming days, which I'm excited about. You know, they had kind of like an evaluation sandbox, right, which was supposed to be like a contained environment for for the I models. Uh and and unfortunately you know, there were some weaknesses that led the agents to be able to get out of it, get access to to internet, and decide to run a cyber attack against hiking faces. So that that's one one first fact things that I think we can we can improve in in the future now that we understand that these systems are capable of that. Obviously, I think that the monitoring part is important, right, because the faster you can detect that, the better it is. Right, we learn about some entropic instances that they haven't you know, seen or detected that happened three months ago or something like that, So obviously we want to monitors these systems better. And then one last interesting thing, as I mentioned, we defended ourselves with an open model, right, and some of the guard rails prevented us from using frontier APIs to defend ourselves.
Speaker 3: So kind of like improving the tools or.
Speaker 2: Defenders, you know, instead of oblissing about not giving them to attackers, I think would be a good thing in the future to make sure these incidents are not too harmful.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've taken us there, so we'll go there. In this incident, it was too powerful, but closed open AI models where open AI lowered the guardrails in place to test their full cyber capabilities. They escaped the sandbox or testing environment, gained the Internet access, and were able to access your platforms mistakenly. You defended yourself using an open model, but it was a Chinese model, But the abilities of that model to defend you were also diminished by their guardrails. Is that a fair statement?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean the open model fortunately was kind of like a flexible enough that we could use it to defend ourselves. So that's kind of like the kind of like efficient tools for for defenders.
Speaker 1: We're live on Bloomberg Television and Radio on Balance of Power. There'll be people in America and around the world listening to this and thinking, okay, very powerful AI models were able to escape a testing environment, access the Internet, and then access mistakenly and other companies platform What was the net result? Did something bad happen as a result of this?
Speaker 2: Well, I think not as bad as it could have been. It was bad for us for our team, right, I mean, we're all security and for a teamwork worked on this for for quite a while. Uh, you know, it created some some challenges for us, obviously, but you know it could have been way worse. Right, Like, for example, we're in the I platform, right, so we have kind of like good ways to defend ourselves, but a lot of other organizations companies don't have kind of like the same defenses. Obviously, some some domains are you know, more at risks than others. But I think it could have could have been much worse. But we need to take this kind of like seriously as a wake up call for us to kind of like work more on getting these systems secure and giving more tools to to all defenders, uh and, and generally creating more transparency and more monitoring of these systems.
Speaker 1: Has the US government taken this as a wake up call? Which branches of government have reached out to you since the event was disclosed.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna talk to kind of like more and more the private conversations that we've had, but you know, we obviously reported that TOKLF like the relevant authorities and have had kept like a bunch of conversations with different different organizations, different kinds like Congress members, uh and and people from from from government. I mean, I mean, there are a couple of things that I think we need to do and get right in in the next few months. First, in my opinion, we have to make sure that cyber attacks, even when they're done by agents, stay a crime and illegal and make sure to enforce that. But otherwise we're going to end up in the world where everyone is cyber attacking everyone with really no this incentive to it. A Second, and we need to create more transparency, like for example, why not doing disclosure Manda to read disclosure when agent cyber attack is happening.
Speaker 3: Uh. And Third, we have.
Speaker 2: To come like give more tools to defenders, like we we mentioned open models. These are like some of the tools that cyber attack defenders need to make sure that they can defend themselves.
Speaker 1: To recap, you're saying that the illegality of an AI agent, a non human an AI agent carrying out a hack needs to be enforced and basically broader regulations. The pathway to that is legislative. To your mind, you always it's not really for me for me to say.
Speaker 2: Obviously, I'm not like a legal legal expert or policy maker, and I think that's the topic that we need.
Speaker 3: To think about. If you kind of like, uh, take can like higher view.
Speaker 2: We already have some autonomous systems in our life, right, like a self driving car, you know, and many others. We made sure there's kind of like liability, right if you fall asleep at the wheel of your self driving car, then you're responsible if you're hitting another car in a similar way, we need to make sure that the legal framework for autonomous agents is clear and defines and useful for the field and the American society.
Speaker 1: We're live on Bloomberg Television and Bloomberg Radio. This is balance of power, and we're speaking to Hugging Face CEO clemed Along, whose company disclosed on July twenty second that two powerful open AI models without authorization or mistakenly accessed or breached his company systems as part of a cyber evaluation that opening I was doing, you know, Clem, timing is everything. Within days, one of the most important people in the world of technology came out with a letter backing America focusing on open models. I'm talking about Sati Nadella Jensen one. More recently, awsc or Matt Garman has joined many others. You know, do you think that the timing of that was the sort of catalyzed or a direct response to the July twenty second breach.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it was related.
Speaker 2: I mean, this cyber attack showed that, you know, you can create risks with models behind closed doors that are unreleased, so just working on you know, preventing the models to be released is not the solution, and that you know, defenders need open models because you know, to defend yourself against cyber attack, you you need to run it on your own infrastructure because it's usually on your private data, and you need you need to control that. Open models gives you that Sometimes corporatory APIs don't give you because of gad wills, because of limitations, because of also how much it costs. Right, So I think that was a perfect perfect example and perfect valuation or for this notion of you know, the world's small companies, startups, researchers, but also large companies like needing open models wherever they come from.
Speaker 1: I would just point out claim that you know, in the course of this conversation, we've talked a lot about it was open AI's models. You conducted a joint disclosure and then joint investigation with open ai, and of course, like we've made every effort to invite open ai onto the network, onto the show to discuss their side of the story and the investigation. But that open weighted letter in part was supposed to sort of outline the best benefits of open models, the economic benefit, the business consideration. That is very much hugging faces. Realm Right hosts models big and small open on its platform. The other thing was the concern that there would be over regulation of open models by the US government kind of bring that full circle for us and why you think that that concern is valid or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there are there are a lot of different topics in the I and and I think the role of a lot of people is to is to set the priorities. And I think when what this later kind of like was was outlining too, is that probably one of the biggest risks in the eye is concentration of power, right Like it's it's it's concentration of powers, capabilities, wealth in a fuel organizations. Why when like everyone else would be kind of like lagging behind and be kind of like left out in a way, right and open models are kind of like a counter force to that, right, Like they empower small companies, startups, you know, organizations that are not necessarily kind of like Frontieri Labs to build the eye themselves to own their intelligence, as some people said. And I think that's that's one topic that you know, policy makers need to focus on a little bit more than they've been focusing on so far. So hopefully this letter kind of like puts the topic more prominently on their desk.
Speaker 1: After you and an open a I made the disclosure in July twenty second that this had happened. You know, I spoke to lots of your peers in industry, and there was also the kind of acceptance that this wasn't some major scandal. You know, open ai has a lot of power. The closed models themselves are powerful, but generally speaking, industry said, we want to see the frontier labs doing this, doing these tests and evaluations of their capabilities, and then disclosing when something goes wrong. Just react to that, you know, in that sentiment towards the events of that week, I don't.
Speaker 3: Agree at all with that.
Speaker 2: It like, we don't we don't want any company in the US running cyber attacks against other companies. This is this is a crime. This is illegal for a good reason because if you if you create a world where everyone is allowed to run cyber attacks against everyone, we're in for a lot of trouble, right we You have to remember that in our society, most damages and most hurts isn't prevented because it is hard to do, right, Like if if you think of it, I can you know, go across the street and steal a grocery shop and it's not that hard to do, right. It is prevented because this is immoral and this is illegal, right, So I don't do it because because of that.
Speaker 3: And it's the same thing for for cyber attacks. Right. You know, if if we end up in the world where.
Speaker 2: These are normalized, cyber attacks are normalized, I think we can end up in a very dangerous world the same way as you know, I made the comferison with with self driving.
Speaker 3: Cars, right.
Speaker 2: You don't want to end up in the world where you know, bumping into another car is normalized is okay because you're driving a self driving car. Like, we want to make sure that our society stays kind of like healthy by you know, keeping things that need to be must be but legal illegal.
Speaker 1: This brings us back to the central concern of the American people, frankly, right, which is open. AI did not instruct those two models to go out and hack hugging Face. They instructed the two models to undergo the site of the evaluation right to do the test. They were able to escape the sandboxed environment, gain internet access, and they went to hugging faces platforms. In part, I understand because the models determined they could find information on hugging Faces platform that would help them to pass that test carry out that invaluation, but open air I didn't instruct them to hack hugging Face. Nevertheless, here we are. You know, that's the bit that people are worried about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know the same way if I'm Tesla and I have self drubbing and I fall asleep at the wheel, you know, my intention is not to bump into another car. But you know, you still have kind of like think I think liability. I think they're they're shared themselves that you know, there was some kind of like a mistakes the turn that there's kind of like a ways you know, they could fix some of the bugs that led or some of the weaknesses in their systems that led the agentic system to be able to escape. And I think they're hopeful to actually fix this and make sure it doesn't happen again. I don't think they're going to try in the future to build a system that that kind of like regularly runs cyber attacks against I guess other companies.
Speaker 3: I think they're they're going.
Speaker 2: To be old systems that are kind of like a stronger better to to make sure these things don't happen in the future.
Speaker 1: How you face here, climbed along. We just we just have about sixty seconds left in the conversation. You've talked about what needs to happen, but what's the net result of all of this and what needs to happen next?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, uh, you know, we need more transparency. I think it was a good wake up call that you know, preventing releases is not enough. I think we need more transparency on on these systems.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And second, we need to kind of like equip defenders better, right, like for example, with with open models that that we used to defend ourselves. So we need more powerful open models for for all defenders, so that we prepared for for what's coming next.
Speaker 1: Hugging face here, Clem DeLong joining us live on Balance of Power. Thank you very much.