Speaker 1: And what up?
Speaker 2: Welcome in. This is all ball. We're live in Las Vegas at the site of NBA Con NBA Con, which is interesting, right because I think and I know it's a conference, that's the idea behind it, right, but it feels like this is all Hey, comic Con is a really good idea, very successful. What if we did NBA con? And does the con? Should Comic Con have trademarked the con part to their name?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: It's like every scandal is now a gate that all comes from the Watergate scandal, even though that was actually the name of the Watergate hotel that was broken into This is comic Con anyway, this is NBA Con. So the idea behind in this is the first ever NBA Con is look NBA team executives, players, veterans, stars, and of course the rookies and second years, the guys try to make the league. Since the NBA moved the summer league here about a decade ago, it's become the hub. And here's the weird thing. If you're listening to this podcast, you probably already know this because you know me, I grew up in southern California. I was a hooper and the way aau high school, middle school hoops used to work. Was there was a big Easter tournament here was called the May West I believe it was May West Easter Invitational, huge tournament, and then gosh, I forget who. Then there was the Nike National Championship was here in July at the North and South Gym at UNLV. So UNLV has thomasin Mack which opened in I think the.
Speaker 4: Late eighties, mid to late eighties, and they used to play.
Speaker 2: The Convention Center of five thousand seed building right next to the Las Vegas Hill. They moved to thomasin mac but on campus where they practiced again. This is before they built the practice facility, and there's actually the practice facility which has multiple courts. They have two arenas over at Vegas. That's why it's a great site for the Summer League because the Summer League used to be at Long Beach State Before that, it was at Loila, Marymount, then with at Gerston Pavilion, then it was at the Pyramid. When I played for the Lakers, it was at the Pyramid at Long Beach, and then I think a little over a decade ago, it moved here. And it made sense because USA basketball would have their practices here, they play an exhibition game here. It's Vegas in the summer, and though it's ungodly hot, at least it gives you some other stuff to do. And most Hoopers had always been coming here because though the spring stuff was more West Coast based and the early summer stuff was West Coast spate. July was when all the national AAU tournaments were in Las Vegas. So I think it's it's been a great idea. And then this is like, hey, everybody's here anyway, let's kind of formalize it and make it a convention. And that's always been one of the things that NBA people have. I don't know if you want to idolized or really liked about the Final Four. Like what you don't know about the Final Four is the Final Four is actually the convention for college basketball coaches. So and you also have all Star games, and so the NBA just took bits of the Oh comic CON's a great idea. Final four is a great idea. The NFL doesn't really have this, although I'm sure they're going to copy it. The NFL draft is the one that everybody points to, but really it's I think it's the combine that they want to make into their own convention. So the NBA has decided, hey, let's make a convention. And the peak moment for the convention for NBA con is not necessarily me broadcasting.
Speaker 4: It's Victor webin Yama.
Speaker 2: We got to see him in a quasi NBA uniform last night on the court at Thomas and Mack. We also saw you know, Brandon Miller. We also we got a chance to see Scoot play. Scoot Henderson, who is the number three picks. We saw the number one and number two picks play against one another and then number three pick play. And of course he heard his shoulder which did look like a legit injury. Don't know if he plays today. Let's start with Victor webbin Yama. I think it's safe to say that we were underwhelmed, right, Like, I'm not gonna sit here and go like, hey, he's nineteen, he just got off the plane and he stinks, get rid of him, send him back, spurs got a bust. I mean, there's there's definitely going to be shows on television where people are going to raise their voices and say he's terrible, he's horrible.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 2: These are the same shows who I heard people say, legitimate people who followed the sport, who vote on All Star games and MVPs say he's going to be an All Star this year. And you're like, yo, do you know? Here's the thing? And I learned this the old fashioned way. I was a really really good player. I was an All American high school, was a really good player in college. The jump from high school to college is big. The come from college to pro is so gigantic you cannot possibly understand how difficult and different it is. And then you factor in he wasn't actually playing against pros last night, right. There are four hundred and fifty NBA players in the entire Solar system, four hundred and fifty. There are eight million people on Earth. There are four hundred and fifty NBA players. So the jump is gigantic, And it's really important to point out that, like your what is your default setting? Maybe this is the best way of expiating it. What is your default setting?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And your default setting is whatever you've done your whole life. You know, we all try and grow and improve, but at some point you go back to your default right as as a radio host you know, and a TV personality like, look, I know a lot about football, I played it growing up. My best to stay engaged with gms, in front office people, et cetera, et cetera. Okay, I have great fans that are baseball agents, baseball players, former baseball players. Of course, I played baseball up until high school as a kid. My son played baseball for a long time at a pretty high level for a little kid. I love baseball, but my default is the basketball, and having played basketball in America for I'm forty seven, so this.
Speaker 4: Is I don't know, forty years.
Speaker 2: My default is like, I know what American basketball feels like, play is like. And by the way, most conversations in my brain, it's like if you ever learn a different language, you think you still think in English, right, and native Spanish speakers will tell you like they speak Spanish, but they think they speak English, but they think in Spanish. For Victor Webbin Yama, I don't know if you want to say he's thinking in French or his default is French basketball or international basketball. It is a different sport. It is a feba. Basketball is so different it's really hard to articulate.
Speaker 4: Most of the.
Speaker 2: Rules are the same, but the way their officiator different. And I don't think the Spurs, I don't think they did wrong by him, but I'm not sure you did right by him in how they did it right.
Speaker 4: He said he hadn't practiced.
Speaker 2: With him, and he hadn't really practiced him anemo he worked out with him, he didn't.
Speaker 4: Really know what he was doing.
Speaker 2: And then it gets back to your default, right, And I love the fact that he was like, yeah, I didn't play that well, but at least you know we won. So his default is like, you know, you play to win. Look NBA Summer League, and my default was, you know, play to win as well. I learned the hard way with you play with the Lakers. This is in nineteen or two thousand and one NBA Summer League. Like I came in my first game. I came in, We're playing the Grizzlies. It's like a Wednesday night. Snoop Dogg's there, and you know, I got in like end of the second quarter, and I'd never in my life, I never sat for forty five minutes and then had like two minutes to kind of prove myself. And one I threw an alley up to Devin George. Remember the former Laker Devn George through an alleupe to Devon George, which I was sure was a dunk. I was like Steph Curry shooting at three, running back the other way, and it got deflected. Because in basketball, you don't get longer everybody else does. Right the windows when you're making passes or the time you have to take a shot, it just closes up so much more quickly. So I saw him, it's open. I delivered the ball on time, on target, and he got deflected. So I learned one that these dudes are incredible, even the guys that barely play at Devin George, Slava Medvedenko, they were all.
Speaker 4: That they were on the team.
Speaker 2: Like those dudes didn't play that much on the Lakers. They were incredible. Their level was so much higher than everybody else. They had so much a better pace and understanding of where to be and how to play and where to stand and how to defend and how to stay out.
Speaker 4: Of trouble and whatever.
Speaker 2: But the other part too, it is I remember going in at halftime and I had taken one shot, I had one assist, and I had and that's really it in like two minutes of work and I was like, hey, I was doing the plus minus thing like Mike plus minuses. We've done well. And one of the assistant coaches grabbed me at the time. He's like, hey, dude, you don't have a lot of time. You got to get in there and do work. All right, everything is and what you learn is those are shark infested waters. Like we're watching to watch Victor webin Yama. Every dude on the Charlotte Hornets is like, I want to kill Victor Webinyama.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 2: That's how that's the bat, that's you want mama mentality. That's basketball mentality. And it's not just the NBA team you're playing for, Like you're not just playing to make the Hornets.
Speaker 4: You're playing to get invited to play. And anybody's ain't anybody's training camp, you know, to get a two way.
Speaker 2: Or every high powered, high paying overseas roster. Everyone those those teams they're all here. They're all here and they paid lots of money, and so you got to go in and do work.
Speaker 4: And so as much as Victor webbin Yama's.
Speaker 2: Probably used to one being the guy in his French team, two running sets, the ball, moving around, playing friend style basketball. His default is to how they play disorganized basketball in France. It ain't how we played disorganized basketball here. Like here it is attack attack, attack, attack. There, it's movement, movie, move, move, movement, you know, ball screen attack, open, guy, get it. I kind of stay out of trouble a little bit. If you're open, shoot the ball. If not move it, let somebody else. And I ain't how we play here. And he was exhausted, and he was by his own accounts lost, and he look he looked that bad. Now those things can get adjusted, you know where you run a couple of things to where he Hey, where do you want to get the ball? I want to get the ball here on the wing on a pick and pop. I want to get the ball here on his you know, catching on a zoom or handing off on a zoom. The parts that were I think a little distressing to me are one I didn't see great hands and hands are like you know, the old definition of pornography. You know you can't find it, you know when you see it, that's hands, right, Like, watch Jokic play in the finals, and obviously he's got incredible hands. But like the ball goes up, there's three or four dudes that jump higher than him. They get to get a rebound, and somehow he just got got the ball and he's dribbling down the court, like, how do you do that?
Speaker 4: He's got great hands. Guys that have great hands have it. Guys that don't don't, and you can improve, but you don't. It's not really something you can fix or teach. It didn't seem to have great hands. That was a little troubling.
Speaker 2: And then look he's way thiny and he can tell you all this bowl about well, you know, I don't want to gain bulk. I just want like you know, when he wants functional strength. That's great. Okay, he was getting ragged off. It's not that you get ragged all by stronger guys. That's gonna happen. He's nineteen. He hasn't played this sort of scout. It was that when he got the ball in the post a couple of times, he didn't look good. You know, like dude gets into excuse my language, but he gets guys get into their shit. They get the ball, they take a peek for the double, and they get into something. He just kind of like jumped up in mid air and tried to throw it in. He very much looked like a guy who did not have a defined, a refined post game. And as much as we can say, hey, Americans, a lot of them don't have to refined post games, that's fair, but they haven't been playing professional basketball in Europe, in France at the pro A level. And oh yeah, by the way, they're not seven foot three like he didn't just grow like last week, and so you're trying to figure out, like what is he?
Speaker 4: He's a point center. He's much more comfortable on the perimeter.
Speaker 2: So the handle, which everybody freaked out about because we haven't seen seven with three guys handled like that. That's great, but remember, if you can't score inside, if you're not strong enough to and you don't like physicality, everything you do is gonna have to be either getting by guys or getting over guys, and they can get into you. So obviously he's gonna have to add some speed, some strength that'll come in time. I think he's working with Melvin Sanders, who's actually a former oklame State cowboy, former San Antonio Spur, Like I'm all for it.
Speaker 4: I think that he's gonna be fine there. I'm a little.
Speaker 2: Hesitant because of his hesitance towards physicality, right, staying away from physicality.
Speaker 4: I don't love that. I really don't.
Speaker 2: And you know, the other part to it is the hands give me a little bit of the he be cheepingsnu factor in man, he's thin, and you just worry about him breaking in half.
Speaker 4: That's a very reasonable thought.
Speaker 2: You look at a dude who's seven feet tall, maybe on two hundred pounds, and you worry.
Speaker 4: I guess there's two parts to it.
Speaker 2: One, it's in the process of putting on strength, in the process of putting on weight, does he get hurt? And then two when he eventually puts on weight, and they all do on different levels. It's like, I mean, look at Yannis now as opposed to be honest, when he was drafted, and I don't know, you know, body type wise, what it looks like when he ends up being, you know, two thirty, he ends up being two fifty and you're like, two fifty that sounds like a load. He's seven foot three and a half, two hundred fifty pounds on him, does not like to look like two hundred fifty pounds on you and me. But I think the fascinating thing to keep an eye on is as he puts on strength, does his aggressiveness improve?
Speaker 4: How they how do they improve his hands?
Speaker 2: And maybe more than anything, can he change his mentality? Right, because a pass first mentality is great, not in this awful world of Summer League. And oh yeah, by the way, you're the number one pick who and it wasn't his fault, But dudes are like, if he's not a chem, if he's a chem Elijah one, it's a disappointment. You don't think that guys in the NBA are going to be coming at him for days and trying to dunk on him. I mean, he got dunked on last night by a boardline NBA player.
Speaker 4: It happens.
Speaker 2: You know, you're seven to three, you're going to get dunkd don everybody's gonna get dunkd on.
Speaker 4: Everybody gets baptized.
Speaker 2: But it was not a great celebration, celebratory night like we've seen in Vegas many times over in the Summer League.
Speaker 4: So it leaves us going, like, what did I just watch? You ever watched that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What did I just watch?
Speaker 2: When you're told something's really good, and you go and it has pieces of what could be really good, and you want to understand it's a process, but the process may be a little bit earlier in the development stage. Then we thought heading in, that's a fair way to look at it. You know, maybe this is I've never watched a movie with rough cuts, you know, when you go, you sit down and you watch the rough cut of movie and you thought you thought you're gonna see like a whole movie, and you're like, ooh, I don't know there. Plot is kind of weird. There's some scenes I want to cut out. You guys got to go back to work and rethink this thing. So I walk away thinking and Scoop was impressive.
Speaker 4: If you've seen Scoot.
Speaker 2: Henderson, you know, like that dude's body is a real deal. The question is going to be about a shooting really nothing else. Incredibly competitive player should be a competitive defensive player, don't. I do think he kind of topped out in the G League, that there was improvement there, but maybe not the next step. And you're not playing super competitive games, so it's hard to tell what he looks like in playoff basketball different the regular seas.
Speaker 4: But if I'm putting money down.
Speaker 2: I've told people for the last couple of weeks, Scoot Henderson, it should be your pick for NBA Rookie of the Year because Portland's going to trade Damian Lillard. He's going to be giving the ball. He's playing for a former scoring point guard. And John Spills ays his coach, and he's he's got a body, he's got a game. The only question is going to be his development in his jump shot. But early on your NBA career that in the regular season, that's not as big of a holdback as it is once you get to meaningful games.
Speaker 4: That's for me. That's my that's my NBA Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 2: We'll see Chet Holmgren tonight saw Chet played twice in Sacramento. A little stronger. Here's the difference in Chet and Wen Mignon. Here's here's the biggest difference between the two. Chet is not strong enough, but Chet has some Here's the basketball person. He's got some shit to him, right, Like he sees the physicality and he goes to it. We mean, Yama was like, I want no part of that, you know, I want zero part of that. So and look, he's also been here his whole life. In terms of Chet, he's also spent a year in rehabbing and then training with Oklahoma City, so he's not blown away by the size the physicality of it, but that mentality is the difference to him. Look, Chet still Chet looks like he's got to be a four because he's still still not strong, he's not explosive.
Speaker 4: He's got to shoot. He shoots it well, but he's got to shoot a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Not going by guys, but again, like it changes when you get to real basketball because they put you in positions where you can succeed, whereas here you're kind of left to your devices. So the guys that are going to flourish the most are one guys that have played in the NBA.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the stats. Anybody's played in.
Speaker 2: The NBA should be playing very well, averaging fifteen to twenty points. It's like Keegan Murray, we're trying to get him on the pod, right, Like Keegan Murray played for Sacramento in the Summer League and he's putting up huge numbers. Jabari Smith, they asked him why he played like he didn't have a great rookie season, But this is a great place to where you can get twenty five shots and you've seen all the coverages, and at the end of the day, you've played in the NBA for a year, you're gonna be way better than anybody playing G League or definitely playing college international basketball.
Speaker 4: So we give Chet a.
Speaker 2: Little bit of the benefit of doubt because like Blake Griffin, like so many of the other guys, due to injury, sat out a year added strength. I still am a little cautious on Chet just because I don't know exactly what he is on offense.
Speaker 4: Is he a five? Is he a four? I do know the NBA is.
Speaker 2: Kind of evolving back to where you're playing two big guys. He absolutely can protect the rim, but is he physical enough to do that at a high level NBA game? Considering Oklahoma City's a pretty high level team. I think the issue with holding me back from Chet being a Rookie of the Year is that he plays with Sae Gilgess Alexander who's going to average thirty a game. He's playing on a legit NBA playoff team, and so you're not had he played this year, they would have had time to develop Chet and play him twenty five thirty minutes. Even if his play really didn't dictate that next year, Oklahoma City's kind of playing to win, like they don't need to They don't need a tank anymore. They got the dudes. So I think I think the smart pick is Scoot Henderson to be your Rookie of the Year. I'm not selling all my victory women, Yama Stock. I'm just telling you that at first glance, that's what it looks like. And there are a lot of people going, Oh, don't worry, He's got a couple of games here.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know how often you play basketball, buddy, if you are not in shape for whatever level of basketball you're playing, and you play a game with that sort of energy, that building was buzzing.
Speaker 4: There was great energy. It was on fire.
Speaker 2: I what a great night for the NBA right to have, you know, two teams of guys that have maybe five guys in.
Speaker 4: The court they're gonna play in the NBA.
Speaker 2: And the place was packed and it was a zoo that sort of energy, and you saw he was completely out of gas in the second half. So I want you to imagine you being Victor Webinya. I'm a seven ft three and a half waking up this morning in his hotel suite. You know how sore he is, you know how tired he is. Oh my god. And then you're like, hey man, you got another game tonight. That doesn't really mean anything to anybody except, you know, to the NBA and the Spurs and to kind of your brand. I don't know if it's going to get much better. I think he'll he'll hit a couple of shots. My guess is just to guess that he'll play and if he's playing well, they'll write it out. If he hits a couple of shots, they'll take him out. And at some point, probably after game three, they'll shut him down. After he plays well, hits a couple of shots, they want to shut him down.
Speaker 4: And I don't think he plays a full season in the NBA.
Speaker 2: I know it's frustrating to all of us, but like this is what happens when you draft a seven with three dudees nineteen years old, right, you got to develop him, and there's just not the time even now, like you get done.
Speaker 4: He's going to go back to sentence.
Speaker 2: He's probably at some point got to go back to France and get all this stuff.
Speaker 4: You know, he's not just moving here and then he's gonna start training.
Speaker 2: There's just not enough time you got you start training camp in September.
Speaker 4: Right, it's mid July already, So I think they'll.
Speaker 2: Use the first year as a toe in the water, not jumping into the deep end. He'll play on some made for TV games, And remember he plays for the Spurs, who, even when they were NBA champions, they didn't care about the league saying, hey, we're putting you on TV on a Friday night against Lebron the heat they sat guys, then they'll sit him this year. So to me, if I'm betting, I'm going to the window the Rookie of the year.
Speaker 4: Most likely.
Speaker 2: You have to get the ball, you have to play minutes, you have to play on a team that's not gonna win. Right, it's Scoot Henderson. That's just the reality of it. Because we're all going to vote for a guy who puts up the best numbers, and the only guy who could maybe sneak into that conversation would be somebody like Chet because Chet can put up some ridiculous block shot numbers from all around stats. I just don't think he gets the volume of touches and the volume of stats because he's playing on a team.
Speaker 4: That's really, really good. Do they need him? Yeah? Will he play?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Will he get the ball and score twenty game? Hell?
Speaker 2: No, Shay Gilds Alexander is that team's offense, and then they all kind of play around.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: A couple Orange County kids up here, right, Josh Childris Mayfair high School.
Speaker 4: I'm Tustin High School. Previous generation.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Mayfair is that little window you and Landry Fields? Right?
Speaker 4: A couple.
Speaker 2: I know Landry was low sal but still like same sort of same little window of success.
Speaker 3: Stanford guys, Stanford.
Speaker 4: Guys as well.
Speaker 2: Right, Stanford guys is like the Brian Fitzpatrick of the NFL. Like even if the dumbest guy at Stanford you walk into the room, be like, oh, I forgot, he's smarter than everybody else.
Speaker 4: Can you help me with my help me with my taxes?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: How did that happen when you're in the league?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah, that's taxes, investment. I mean anything, you just you automatically qualified.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you about last night. I know you just got in town. You didn't watch, you weren't at the Webbie game. But it's more the difference in the style of basketball, right, because you famously were playing the league, good play in the league, left and went to Greece, and I was trying to relay to people on how THINKBA is going to be fine?
Speaker 4: Right, absolutely, but it's a it's a completely different It.
Speaker 2: Looks the same, smells the same, the court's the same length, three point line is almost the same now it's supposed to when you played different But it's a it's kind of a different sport. How would you compare and contrast the differences in playing at a high level in Europe and playing NBA style basketball.
Speaker 3: Look, I mean europe basketball is fantastic, but it's much more calculated. I think it's much less emphasis on and you know, fast break and getting out and scoring and much more on the structure game, which is what he's played in. And you know, coming into Summer League of all things, uh, you know, Summer League is running gun, It's it's fast paced, and you know, guys are out there just trying to try to make plays. You know, the game will so down for him a little bit. It's his first game in Summer League. I don't think the Spurs are worried. I don't think he's worried. But it is a it's a shift in the game for sure.
Speaker 4: When when you came out with Supper League, Lobby State.
Speaker 3: That came out Summer League are Summer League was in Salt Lake.
Speaker 4: City, so so Salt Lake City Review, which they which they have.
Speaker 2: Now, what's that feeling like of the first time you put on the logo?
Speaker 3: Oh man, the nerves, the butterflies. You know, you want to make sure you go out there and perform. Obviously you had a good training camp with the team. But it's fun and we went out there. We had a young team, you know, it was it was about four of us that were you know, fresh out of high school or early college. And uh, there's a fun time. Man's get out there and getting after it.
Speaker 2: The the differences when you first get to the league, right, and if you've ever been to the Farm, you ever been to Stanford, you know, like that's not real.
Speaker 4: Life, right.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that well left, Okay.
Speaker 2: So and for people who don't know, like anybody who's been in the Stanford you tell me about wrong. Yah, But like that's like the iconic if you could be anywhere like that people are. It's diverse, it's smart at the facility, like the everything's manicured perfectly. Now you've got coaches that even live on campus. Like you got your whole life in this one epicenter. It's like a utopia. Yep, you're on your own. You're in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: What was it like massive culture shock. I mean you go from Morris County to Stanford and then to Atlanta, a massive culture shot For me. I had great teammates that helped me get used to the culture. But there's a different world and especially leaving with Stanford, as you mentioned it, it's its own little bubble that is unlike anywhere else in the world. And so more from there to Atlanta, which was high in g was entertainment capital at the time. Uh, we had had a fun four years for sure.
Speaker 2: People I think whether they where they google you or hoop heads or Whember, like, oh, you left the league and went to went went to Greece kind of it was a very unique path.
Speaker 4: Why two reasons.
Speaker 3: One, I didn't have a contract on the table here in the league, and then secondly, I've always been open to try something new, and I went over there, I visited all went to visit Greece and wanted to take on a new challenge. But I think had I had a contract on the table, I mean maybe that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: So you get there and you're playing for one of the powerful teams in all of Europe.
Speaker 3: Which I didn't know at the time. I mean, you didn't know. You only know you can see what just in you know, YouTube and internet wasn't in the internet back then. Yeah, so you see a few things on TV and on the internet, but I didn't really understand the power of oribacos.
Speaker 4: You also did not think understood like even training camp.
Speaker 3: Oh no, okay, so to the mountains.
Speaker 2: Okay, So training camp in Atlanta was at the facility.
Speaker 3: At the facility once a day, once a day. You know, it was a couple of weeks. We had some some you know, some track time and you know, early or late summer just to you know, get in shape, your condition. But you know, for the most part, it was pretty relaxed, and I had a coach, Mike Woodson, who was old school school all day, but you know, still it was it was once a day and we went.
Speaker 4: We went hard to have a woody impression. By the way, everybody has a woppression.
Speaker 3: I can't curse on air, so I'll just leave it there.
Speaker 2: You could curse. This is podcast. Say whatever you want. That's the beauty to podcast. You can you can drop that pop Okay, fair enough. So you go to Olympiacos, like this is a big, big thing that Josh Childress is going to Olympiacos and leaving the NBA, and they're like training camp is in mountains, in the mountains.
Speaker 3: Took a three hour bus ride to the mountains. Yes, it was just us in the resort, so no hanging out, no no other source of activities. Yeah, we were just there for like three weeks.
Speaker 4: And again I did this in Russia.
Speaker 2: So I'm guessing like some sort of running in the morning and maybe lifting, and then you shoot for like an hour and then you go, then you go have lunch, take a nap, and then you go like two and a half in the evening.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, absolutely, it's a tough schedule. Yes, it's a tough and we had our strength coach. You know, strength conditioning coach spent some time in the league, so he had a little bit of seasoning in what you know league training looked like. So you know we were a little bit advanced from that perspective, but it's still it's a grin.
Speaker 4: Was there a point where you're like, what am I doing well here?
Speaker 3: But you suddenly and I had some good events, got Lynn Greer was my first year, and uh love Land and had some good guys around.
Speaker 2: Me searching what, uh was pal the big Who's where's the big rival?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 4: Did I go to so so again?
Speaker 2: And and this is hard for people to comprehend because when you were at Stanford, that was one of the iconic places to play, right you had the bouncy floor. Yeah, and you know Tiger came to the games like it was crazy. Now you look at Stanford, it's kind of sad. It's like my old version don't draw really well. But uh, Olympiacos versus Powell, what is that atmosphere?
Speaker 3: Like it's unlike anything you will ever see in the US. I mean, I think imagine Cameron Indoor against U n C on steroids and on HGH and everything else you can imagine.
Speaker 4: Did they have dude burning flares up in the.
Speaker 3: My first game there you have the barriers behind the fence, and the guys shot a flare through the barrier and hit our towel bag. So our tower bag is on fire. We're trying to count country on the game and it's just just massive fire growing on the side of the bench. So it was like a rude awakening into the European basketball.
Speaker 4: How did you learn the language?
Speaker 3: I didn't enough to order food?
Speaker 4: Okay, so what was it? What was your what was your favorite thing?
Speaker 3: My favorite thing to these chicken skewers? Yeah, like you had.
Speaker 2: The fries with the veta that was really good, like the Greeks down fries pretty good.
Speaker 4: And then I know how you stow.
Speaker 2: You just say thank you exactly, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and.
Speaker 4: Then you kind of bounced around, right.
Speaker 2: You did the Australia thing, you did Japan, you came back to the States, you tried the G League. How would you characterize like the rest because what happens is you made the moved to grease, you tracked you then you had great play in in the EuroLeague stuff, and.
Speaker 4: Then people, you know, they go back to Paran.
Speaker 2: But how would you characterize those that last those last stops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I came back to Phoenix after Greece for a couple of years and then got released. You know, it was a little bit nomadic in that in that last last little bit of my career. But I enjoyed it. I went to some countries and imagine me, they would go to a play in and I had a great time and happy without it all ended.
Speaker 2: Coolest place you can, like you close your eyes, like this is the coolest place I ever played, not necessarily the whole game.
Speaker 4: You just played in a.
Speaker 3: I mean Sydney when we were playing, you know, we walk outside after the game, you see the opera house with great weather. It's you know, a great fan base. It was a great time.
Speaker 2: Plus people are they seem so chill there, like during a game, super physical, right, but afterwards it's like, hey, let's let's go off to Plint.
Speaker 3: And ironically I had Olympiakos fans in Sydney, so they would come to game channing the Olympiaco's chance. So it was it was a great.
Speaker 4: Time when you made the move back to the NBA.
Speaker 2: You know, so oftentimes I think guys that play in a high level of college and they go play kind of the mid level in Europe play struggle because it's just you don't feel it, you're not tied to the team, you don't have the emotions to it.
Speaker 4: You're you're leaving behind.
Speaker 2: You play at a great club in Europe where they're firing players, and it's nuts. You come back and play for the Suns. You're not playing nearly as much. What are those emotions like here?
Speaker 3: Who's tough? Who's tough?
Speaker 4: Time?
Speaker 3: My career I didn't play and uh, you know, dealing with that and not having you know, really a path forward challenging. And then after that, you know, depending on how you position yourself in your land, you're kind of bounce around because people questioned why you didn't work out there and got to be, you know, mindful of the right fit and so I wasn't able to find that right fit in the league. But you know, I went overseas and had a good time.
Speaker 5: What is it like to come to the conclusion, Yeah, it's different for every guy, I mean you for me, it was uh, you felt good about it.
Speaker 3: Fifteen years total, it's had a great, great career, great time.
Speaker 4: Give me what you were was there like a moment where you're like, that's ah No.
Speaker 3: I had a started a family and so at that time, you know, being overseas and not having your family with you was tough. So that was tough.
Speaker 4: So did you have a plan?
Speaker 3: I did. So I got injured in New Orleans left I had to get surgery and they went back and finished a standard. So that was five years before I was done. So I kind of started the planning process then.
Speaker 4: And what was what was the plan in your mind?
Speaker 3: This is, you know, be a business owner of so my own business, which what I do now. I have a little state investment firm, and you know, just continue to build on the foundation that I laid over the fifteen years, you know, and and build something that I can be proud of and pass down to my kids, you know in the future.
Speaker 4: And a commercial real estate or or resident So.
Speaker 3: We build an investment apartments, apartment buildings on the West coast, So we have a nice project here in Vegas. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And does it when you wake up in the morning, does it still bring you like joy and energy to do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's more stressful. You know, you're dealing with, you know, just a wide range of other variables that you didn't ever imagine. And you know, I'm also dealing with other people's money, which is you know, stressful in itself. So you know, it's it's a it's been fun, it's been a journey. I'm looking forward to growing it, but it's a different kind of stress.
Speaker 4: What's the What's that's the hardest part about it? What's the most challenging element to it?
Speaker 3: I'll say it is you You experienced this in your career too. You're always in a position where people are chasing you, you know, and looking after you, and you get to roll the red carpet rolled out and you know, you're very rarely hear knows maybe toward the end of your career, you know, as things wind out, but you know, starting a company raising capital, like I heard hundreds of nose and it was challenging because historically I had never heard that, you know, And it's it's about that resilience.
Speaker 4: So that's it.
Speaker 2: That's a That's an awesome way to pivot and have this conversation because we're giving what kids more yeses than ever before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 2: One of my dear friends is a high ranking offensive coordinator in college football and he's like, look, I know that people thought college kids had it bad before they're getting paid, but it's going to be worse. And I asked them to kind of flush it out. And he's like, you know, look, if you're given a kid one hundred and fifty two hundred grand to play a sport.
Speaker 4: College, they get out of college, they think.
Speaker 3: That's there at the borrow, that's their life.
Speaker 4: Like that ain't a real life, bro, That ain't real life at all.
Speaker 2: So having having been through it, obviously you had to be an incredible student and student athlete to go to Stanford, but then to come back to Stanford as well, Like that takes a different sort of stuff. And now as an adult with kids, what's the what's the best? Like, let's just take basketball. Now you have nil in college, but also there's an il in high school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dudes can go to overtime E league. They're expanding. You got G league? Ignite.
Speaker 2: If I put you in charge, I say, Josh, you've lived it, what do you do?
Speaker 3: How did can you?
Speaker 2: Can you go stake my school the league, Silver's the only one pushing that one. Do you do you go back to the old college system? Can you transfer them without penalty?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't. I wouldn't allow players to come straight out of high school to the league. I think there needs to be a year stop gap somewhere just to get a foundation how to be a pro college is that for some people? G League, Knight, Overtime Elitue, the NBL, which is a league I'm involved in, but there needs to be a Scott I stop. Yeah. Secondly, I think there needs to be more formation of education around finances for these kids. Just one thing they're getting paid, they're using their name in is like just to do that as fair as fine, But you know, if you're putting a hand you know two and are grand in the hands of a seventeen year old, they're going to do stupid stuff and there needs to be I think a more a better and more intentional foundation around that help them educate themselves and create you know, less just wild wild West sort of strategy for a lot of these teams.
Speaker 2: I think it's a great point. You mentioned you're involved with the NBL. They have their program is starting to get players from America. Yeah, what is unique about it as opposed to the ignite, as opposed to overtime A leaders.
Speaker 3: I say the NBL is probably one of the closest in terms of just how the game translates from there to the NBA that I've seen, and I've played there for three years, I know it. And now we've had success. We've had year over year we've had guys come over either you know, just guys that were in the league or LaMelo Balls and Argie Hampton's and you know the kids that got drafted for the past couple of years that have come in the league and had success, And that's just a testament to the league. They've grown it the right way. You know, you get a true season of strength conditioning, and you know, Australians and sports science is one of the top of the world, and the coaching over there is great and there's a lot of you know, connectivity to the to the NBA. So I think that the NBL needs to have more players come over, you know, because the league is fantastic and it is growing.
Speaker 2: It really is okay, So for you you're here, you got your real estate stuff.
Speaker 4: You're in town? What else are you doing in Vegas?
Speaker 3: Come to watch some games? I want to hang out.
Speaker 4: Who are you most excited to see?
Speaker 3: I want to see more of Brandon Miller. I mean everybody will to see who, but I think I'm intrigued to see what. You know, what Jordan saw in him? You know over Overscoo.
Speaker 2: So it's a it's a really interesting question because Scoot. I think Scoot's gonna be a real good year, you know, I mean, guys, an unbelievable athlete. He can good bye is it's hard to keep out of the lane, you know, I don't know what what his shooting ends up looking like, it'll be better than it is now. That's probably the one limiting factor. And size and league's just get bigger and bigger, and he's obviously built like a grown man. But you know, sixty two and a half six three. Who knows my thoughts on Brandon Miller? And I'd love to hear it after you watch him, as I like the idea, I think what Jordan saw as when he's got Lamello ball and they're pot committed there right paying him nearly a quarter billion dollars. You know if I committed, So he'll be great because he's he was sixty percent shooter on just catch and shooting at Alabama now college three, but clearly has NBA ran yep, and has all of the things that would be you check the box in terms of a modern day NBA defensive player, length, athleticism, intelligence, has enough toughness, has some ship to him a little bit. You know the question, can he be a star? Well that's different now, right? Can you can he be a three level scorer in the league? That that one I don't. I don't know about. And it'll be interesting because he's a guy who made a seismic jump in his draft stock during his year at Alabama.
Speaker 4: But it's hard because you know, when you're.
Speaker 2: Playing in college, you're not necessarily playing against pros, right rescue, he's playing against pros, right So it's it's it's gonna be an interesting yeah.
Speaker 3: But I mean when the cream rids at the top and you you know, see a kid like that, he has all the physical gifts, seems like, you know, on his game. So I haven't seen to play enough, but I've seen enough to see he's got it. It's just a matter of can he put it together and can they put it right support system around him to maximize his talent. LaMelo is great, and you gotta have some bests in the locker room and kind of help guide all those guys.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, we've seen some issues in locker rooms here recently because of that, So hopefully they do a good job and creating support around him.
Speaker 4: Uh. How much you like watching yokid you play?
Speaker 3: I love it? I love it, I mean and tell tale you know of playing in Europe, you have these guys that super talented, probably on your team, have no interesting coming to the NBA. Yeah, but just can hope and I just he's that for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they do the the awkward stretching stuff they do, you know, and it looks funky. It's not what we're used to, but it's really effective.
Speaker 4: It was it was I thought that would that be a guy that you love it you and.
Speaker 3: You know as approach to the game, and I want a ton of the playoffs with him. Just the fact that a guy at that statue can go into the game first quarter not even a tempt to shot, you know, on purpose, just to make sure his teammates are getting involved. And everybody's getting involved and then you know, last three quarters, just turn it up.
Speaker 4: I just attest him to his talent if you could.
Speaker 2: And again, I mean there's probably a million things you could say.
Speaker 4: But say there's a high school.
Speaker 2: Kid out there and he's fascinated with you, your path, your success personally professionally, what would be the advice you get?
Speaker 3: Reach out to me? How you know? Social media? Yeah, social media easy. But I'll tell you the other thing is educate yourself on the business of the league. I think that that's super important. You know, these guys you mentioned the mellow, these guys are going to be billionaires. And you get a couple of these guys that will get two or three contracts over the next you know, ten years. These are the game has changed a bit, and so just being mindful of that. Educating yourself on the finances and the business behind it is one of the biggest pieces of advice.
Speaker 4: What what what percentage?
Speaker 2: Again, this is just your perspective of players value that education piece. And I say it because I think we do a terrible job in the media of expressing any sort of interest in it. But it's like all the things you're saying are like, you should educate yourself, And I agree we should have some pretty professional program college basketball players on agents, taxes, investments, all this stuff that we should teach as opposed to like do I really need to go into you know, social sciences, and like that's not going to help me. Now, high level math is not going to help me. Tell me how I can manage my money and manage my life.
Speaker 4: But you know, you lived it.
Speaker 2: What percentage of NBA players do you think value that side of it, not just the business side of it, but the understanding and educating themselves on everything going on.
Speaker 3: I think years probably one to five, fifteen to twenty percent. When you get you know, year seven to twelve, you know, it probably takes up to sixty to seventy percent. So just a matter of age. I mean, you come in the league, you're invincible. You can do it wrong. All your boys are around you. You know, it's a different sort of mentality.
Speaker 6: Do you miss the baby fro? I can grow it back, I know, but you don't have you miss it? Too much work, too much work, too much work. Hey Josh Man, it's great catching up with you. I congratulations on all your success refercally Amphibets.
Speaker 3: I appreciate
Speaker 1: H