Speaker 1: All the media.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, it's James coming at you with pretty nasty cold here. I wanted to share with you that Worldfast has swept through Los Angeles in the last couple of days. While I'm recording this. Thousands of people have been displaced. Five people have died that we know of so far, thousands of structures have been burned, and many many people in a will be finding themselves out of their homes with nowhere to go, with very few resources. If you'd like to help, We've come up with some mutual aid groups who you can donate to, and we'll be interviewing one of them on this show next week. So if you'd like to help, the three places where we suggest you would donate some cash are the Sidewalk Project. That's the Sidewalkproject, dot org, Ktown for All that's letter k t own, f O R A l L dot RG, and ETNA Street Solidarity you can find on Venmo or I think on Instagram as well. That's A E T N A S T R E E T S O.
Speaker 1: L I D A I T Y.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna go rest my voice.
Speaker 1: Oh man, welcome to it could happen here a podcast. That's happening here If here is your ears, if you're deaf and reading this, then it's happening to your eyes. Either way, it's happening here.
Speaker 3: Here also being Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, also Las Vegas. That's Nevada, not the other one. Nevada. I A yeah, uh huh uh. Podcast number three. How the time does fly? Sure does. By the time you listen to this, Garrison and I will have just had the best meal that we're going to have. Oh god, yeah, it's tomorrow for us still, but we're still we're very excited about Morimoto, which is a fantastic Every year we have a very special dinner just them and me and a couple of friends who will remain anonymous because people get weird on the internet.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it is literally the highlight of my year. Sometimes it does keep me going. Actually really gives me a lot of power. Some of the best tacos I've ever had in my life, so good.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, ah, we're just thinking about delicious food. Let's talk about the dead eyed ghoul we met. Oh wait, no, we're doing yet. We met a dead eyed ghul that I'm gonna spoil now, real monster like real, real, real evil vibes, like if this guy as soon as I met him, shook his hand, like, oh if you get if this guy gets power, you're going to be responsible for a lot of death and suffering.
Speaker 3: I mean speaking of he will.
Speaker 1: He's just not that talented. He wishes, but you never know where these guys are gonna end up.
Speaker 3: Speaking of sad evil Uh, Twitter X everything appy, that's what people are calling it. They gave a keynote which was very sad.
Speaker 1: The CEO Lindah Linda really jakerino about Twitter for a while oh so bad.
Speaker 3: So they started by talking about how Facebook meta has has copied Twitter's like fact checking policy of actually not having real fact checks. Yes, now maybe has actually kind of failed as an industry, but for you know, our problems perhaps with fact checking very different from these people's problems, and the fact now that that Facebook is walking away from actual, like genuine like fact checks against like just disinformation misinformation and parting ways with like using like legacy media a lets to verify information because those media aulets are too political quote unquote, and instead is copying the the current X model of free speech and specifically saying like there's been way too much censorship on gender issues.
Speaker 1: Now you can comment that women are a piece of property.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I think specifically this is this is like trans like no, no, no stuff too.
Speaker 1: One of the things that is specific exemption now is that you can now refer to women as if they are property on Facebook.
Speaker 3: This is the future of communication, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank god, Linda is really blazing a trail for women everywhere.
Speaker 3: Linda was very excited about that, and they u Yakarino about that for like a good a good ten minutes about how you know this is this is where we're really entering a new era of free speech and social media. And then she got asked a question about how much ex Twitter, the everything app will will take a part in Elon Musk's plans for the Department of Government Efficiency DOGE, And this got the the first applause of the panel. It applause only happens two times during the DOGE section. Was the first like you know, room, room starts clapping moment, everyone goes crazy.
Speaker 1: How many minutes in was that?
Speaker 3: Oh maybe it was like maybe like maybe like twelve thirteen minutes?
Speaker 5: People?
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I had to had to be intentional here. This is not like they were just overdue for class.
Speaker 3: No no no talked about Vivek talked about, you know, elon turning to Twitter, X the everything app for like suggestions on which government agencies to get rid of.
Speaker 1: I hope we get rid of the A t F.
Speaker 3: So so that that was.
Speaker 1: Machine guns mandatory? Why not at this point, right, it can only help, It can only help. Look, if we learned anything from a thing, I'm not going to specify that happened late last year. More suppressors is always handy.
Speaker 3: The second thing that got applause was what they talked about next, was about you know, everyone's everyone's turning to x Twitter everything everything app for information now and and and Twitter x everything app played a crucial part in bringing to light the Muslim rape gang story in the UK and how that was so important for saving children and we have to we have to post more, not less. And like this was the other thing that got massive applau was talking about the rape gangs.
Speaker 1: People love rape gangs, people love rape gangs. That that was a pretty good Star Trek episode.
Speaker 3: That was Tasrir's Planet with the rape gangs, one of one of the more black pilling things.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a very good Star Trek episode.
Speaker 3: It's also not a good Track episode. I was referring to the panel, not the Trek episode. But that was the other thing that got massive applause is it's like save the children type rhetoric and you know, saying, you know, like as a mother, it's it's so important that the more people post about this problem. That was the two big applause moments. But I think in general, this this whole panel was trying to like, you know, demonstrate how symbiotic a new Trump presidency and Elon Musk's.
Speaker 1: Twitter this is a line, this is a tap from the Trump presidency.
Speaker 3: This is how you talk to the new government. Like, this is how you talk to all of these new people, all these new cabinet members. They're all on Twitter. They're all talking on Twitter. This is this is how you stay connected to the new government.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. I want thing I'm curious about, so that this is the thing that happened the last set of Nazis that gained power in a country in a big way, the German ones. There was this common attitude of like if only Hitler knew because Nazi policies didn't help the people that were supposed to help. They hurt a lot of people, like they were just bad at everything, like fascists tend to be. And there was this attitude that like, well, Hitler can't know, like the fact that, like we the country's been handed over the gangsters who were continuing to hurt the people Hitler promised to help. He must not be aware, like if he knew, he would fix it, only he knew. So I'm wondering how that's going to play in here. As Trump's policies continue to hurt the people who a lot of the people who voted from, not the rich people who voted for him, but the people who like flipped between him and Biden or whatever, Like, those folks are going to get fucked like the rest of us. And I kind of wonder if they're going to if there's going to be what win the blowback against X the everything app will happen, right, Like yeah, as people are like either I'm being or him being called like a retard by Elon Musk for complaining that, like Elon Musk tweets it and randomly to people when they make very valid critiques of the ship that he's doing. Like that's literally what he's calling. He's saying it like every day, like constantly. I'm not I'm not using it as a slur. That's just the term he's using. If they comment that like their fucking medicaid got cut because Trump put doctor Oz in charge of it, and Elon Musk calls them like, you know, a slur, what does that do to you?
Speaker 5: Like they like, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't even have any more intelligent than like, yeah, I wonder what that does to Twitter's bottom line?
Speaker 3: Ye, I mean yeah, I'm not sure if they care anymore. I mean. Something else Linda talked about is how Twitter's the only place for independent news to spread. And as both of us have, you know, worked in the independent journalism minds nothing nothing spreads on Twitter anymore.
Speaker 1: No, as long if it's news, it doesn't. The only thing that spreads is Yeah, like the shit that makes people very angry but keeps them on the site, like articles, videos, If it takes you off site, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: See. Yeah, the things that go viral and get spread is like encouraging racial bias, yes, s pogrooms essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is what happened last year in the UK, and they're sure trying to do it again.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I think some of someone's some of what she's referencing is, you know, there's a lot of like throttling attentionally of you know people on maybe our proclivities, and there is a degree of boosting for more you know, centrist or right wing journalists. And maybe that's that's some of some of what they could be kind of more more referring to there, But you know it was it was a short keynote, only thirty minutes. Just the two things that got applause are doge.
Speaker 1: Well Linda doesn't know that many words, so they really need to keep it under thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: And literally Muslim rape gangs. Is you know this this type of like like very very gross racial fear mongering, and those are the things that like lit up the room.
Speaker 1: You know, we all want there to be an after where there's even the minimal degree of accountability that happened after the Nazis. But like what I try to in my darker moments is like, well that's another person who like really made the argument of like what needs to happen when this ends? Because it's just I want to hurt people. My business is enabling harm. I want to get mobs in the street, beating migrants. Like that's Linda's business. That's the business she has willfully attached herself to. And we should all see that. It's very important to not stop talking about it like what it is. These people are trying to cause racial violence, and they are trying to cause gendered violence, and they are trying to cause harm at scale to communities of people that they see financial profit in damaging, well in other uplifting c es ues, cool stuff. I love the Consumer Electronics Show.
Speaker 3: Actually, I think it might be time for an ad break.
Speaker 1: Speaking of damaging communities of people, right, there's a chance, yeah, ads, Oh well we're back. Boy, I'm so glad that those ads told me that Fragaccio Blow is touring with Bono. I never thought they'd do it, but boy howdy, and they're singing each other's song, so you know, that's really exciting. It's like when Barbara did Selene.
Speaker 3: I don't know who Barbara or Selene is, but that's, oh my god, that's cool. Robert Luckily, I do know what SKA is. I consider myself a day of culture, and for tonight, me and Robert attended this kind of like side event at CEES called Showstoppers. And as you walk around the CEES floor, there's a lot of frankly garbage. There's a lot of just like mostly garbage stuff that you or stuff.
Speaker 1: That like you're just not interested in because you're literally buying like screens from a manufacturer in China. Like it's like that which is not the business you're into, because some of this stuff has meant for companies so.
Speaker 3: Much floor space, Like there's like I we walked.
Speaker 1: Twenty Town that I spent the first seven years of my life in is smaller than one of the room CEU.
Speaker 3: It's across like three hotels and a massive convention center.
Speaker 1: Ninety thousand people come into town for this thing.
Speaker 3: It could be hard to like see everything you want to. Now, what's colo about Showstoppers, this is the side event at the Bellaggio is that basically it's a room full of kind of all the coolest stuff, a whole bunch of stuff that has one SEES innovation awards all packed into one room with food and alcohol. So oh boy, did I.
Speaker 1: Order free food and free alcohol?
Speaker 3: So many drinks that I then just left on tables, and it.
Speaker 1: Always pretty good food, pretty good food.
Speaker 3: So we walked around show stoppers and there was a number of pretty pretty cool stuff that we saw. Yeah, but I think I think it's maybe time to talk about the saddest, the saddest man.
Speaker 1: The villain, the villain, the villain of the episode and of our this year's cees. I have trouble. Can you bring up their name? Because I'm gonna want to get this right, so we could be dangerous. But we had neither of us had eaten and I had had like a hot dog eight hours ago and walked literally nineteen thousand steps and also done forty minutes of push ups in between, so I was starving. So we we like shovel food into our faces and we turn the first booth we see is called open Droid, Open Droid or open droids droids. Yes, it did. There is an s Open Droids and it's like kind of Star Wars. He font it is and I did ask them if you know they had any issues with Lucasfilm. Apparently not yet sue them. Lucasfilm, by the way, sue these kids.
Speaker 3: I know there's people who work for Lucasfilm who listened to.
Speaker 1: This crush them, burn them like Los Angeles is burning down as we see.
Speaker 3: They had a giant sign that said.
Speaker 5: R two D three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the name of the robot that they're selling. And the robot, the robot that they're selling is like a an AI enabled hold helping slash like retail, you know, like you know robot where it basically is like a human torso with articulated arms and pincher hands on. And then the base is like a little tank. Basically it's got like treads or wheels and it rolls its wheels. Yeah, and then the torso there's like a tall maybe six foot tall like pillar built into this like rolling base that the torso slides up and down on. And this was their way of not making like what Musk is trying to do, right, a humanoid robot where you have to figure out like knees and balance and stuff. It's like no or like Boston Dynamics wheels, right, wheels are cheap. It a roll It works in most situations, you know. And then but you still have the ability for it to articulate and go up higher or go down lower. Like something that can crouch, but it's much simpler, you don't have to deal with nearly as much. And so I saw that, I'm like, oh, well, that's at least somebody who's thinking about, like how do we make something like this like more affordable and less complicated, les to fuck up. And so I start talking with one of the co founders of the company, who is an Indian guy in his forties something around that he had like gray hair, he'd clearly he said he'd spent twenty years in robotics. Very nice guy, you know. I brought up that I thought the design was interesting, and he was very much specifying, like, here's the things we didn't do because they were too difficult, too inefficient. You know, this is what we're thinking of. This is a machine that can fold laundry. This is a machine that can do dishes. This is a machine. And he was very much specifying and the way he phrases like, these are undesirable tasks people don't want to do, and this is a robot that can handle those for like small businesses or for households. And we do see this as eventually like a you know, something like this we want to have in households, but he was more focused on small businesses, and he was again very focused on this is a thing that will do undesirable tasks for people, right, And as I started asking more questions, at a certain point, I got foisted off to the co founder of the company.
Speaker 3: Is it the co founder or is it just like another one of their rests.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm assuming co founder because I think it's just a couple of guys, but maybe I'm not about Sorry, I got foisted over to the other of the two guys. There were two guys there, right, I'm not sure because they don't have listed any where what their role in the company is. I got a co founder's vibe from them. That's how it seemed to be to me, at least in terms of like the way these two were talking. But I don't know the scope of the open Droid's company. Maybe there's a lot more there, but these were the two guys who were they're talking to us. So one of them is this very wonky engineer who's been at this a long time and was really focused on the nuts and bolts details and wanted to build a robot that could handle unpleasant tasks for human beings, right, the same thing we've all been wanting to see. So at this point I'm like, this could work. Maybe this is a viable product. Right. The second guy, Jack j Jessenowski, So he is wearing what Gryson described as a Jordan Peterson suit because it is half purple. Is a face suit split down the motherfucking middle.
Speaker 3: With like like new age hippie like necklaces, five necklacesla five necklaces. He had pants with like like embroidered flowers on those.
Speaker 1: And like a nose bridge, like it looked like one of those things you put in your nose.
Speaker 3: That was one of the other things at showstoppers. There was a company that was doing that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he had want to be Steve Jobs vibes from his half unbuttoned shirt and like many many spiritual medallions to his like Jordan Peterson's suit, and very much just that. Like I am the charismatic founder and what I bring to the table. My partner knows how to build robots. I'm charismatic. I'm Jack j Jessanowski, and Jack and I started talking, and boy howdy, we had us a conversation and I think we're just gonna play that. What do I need to do to set this up?
Speaker 3: No, I think you've set it up. We walk up to Jack, I start, I start recording, and we start talking about the robot, and then things spin in some pretty interesting directions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So what is this thing useful for?
Speaker 6: Well, generally capable, just like a human can reach to the floor and reach up high to a cupboard, go up and down.
Speaker 5: That's what we made this for.
Speaker 6: Obviously in a little bit of a different fashion because most surfaces are level.
Speaker 5: We don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Speaker 6: And the biggest market that we're going after is households. Domestic dishes, laundry, make the bed, clean up around the house, eventually cooking. That's more fine tuned, you know, dishes and laundry is really that first task that is.
Speaker 5: Gonna be fully autonomous.
Speaker 6: Obviously from a folding standpoint and cooking standpoint, you can do tele operation today, so can use cheaper labor internationally through a robot, but full autonomous is coming very quickly, like Jensen talked about recently.
Speaker 7: So I see there's a lot of folks in the robot space that are trying robots based on the human form, right, you guys have not gone that route.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about that droid form.
Speaker 6: Yes, Well, as we know, robots didn't evolve from monkeys, and so we have an ability to reimagine them. All of the existing hardware we use in the world has wheels for a reason. It just works better. It's easier, there's less friction. That means there's less maintenance. That means there's less energy output. It's efficiency. It's also easier for us to manufacture that stuff at scale. So I think long term, do robots all have legs?
Speaker 5: Yeah, more or less.
Speaker 6: The home robot does turn into the leg robot because then it can with you in the car everything.
Speaker 5: But I think the early.
Speaker 6: Stages the wheels, because of their cheaperness, because of their reliability. I think that will be what wins early stage. That's where we started here.
Speaker 7: Because the robot can go in the car with you. What do you see people wanting to have a robot in the car with them for?
Speaker 5: I think it will just become basically the same way.
Speaker 6: If you have enough money, a lot of people afford like an assistant to come with them places.
Speaker 7: It's because that seems like a niche market compared to household.
Speaker 3: I think it's the barrier.
Speaker 6: I think is because of the the cost and then the humanness.
Speaker 5: Like then you have to care for another human.
Speaker 6: And whereas in this case it's kind of all positive sum. And yeah, I guess it's wrong to try to say majority of people.
Speaker 5: But anyone who's you know in media, you.
Speaker 6: Know they videographer will be something you use a robot for to follow you around and take media and film for you.
Speaker 5: They won't get.
Speaker 6: Tired and say, go grab me a drink or you know, go figure that thing out.
Speaker 7: But it also can't decide, oh, that's actually not a good location to film from.
Speaker 1: It's not going to look as good.
Speaker 7: We need to get over here, or we need another camera on this side here, we need to get like different angles because we're going to want to edit this together into a thing. And as a videographer, I'm not just a machine. I'm a part of a collaborative creative enterprise.
Speaker 6: I think we're starting to see just how artistic these ais can be.
Speaker 1: What's the best example of that using.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the most used thing is this the Jenai art And then you have some of the new video models are pretty cool and they're using certain sort of zoom in shots everything. I think they'll make just as good of movies as humans. Oh, I think the best reference in order to actually say that that's possible is music. I don't know if you've played with the most recent AI music. There's song GBT dot com.
Speaker 7: I've heard some things people call music that are produced by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can make.
Speaker 5: One live right now that.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you've heard like the latest models, pick me a genre.
Speaker 1: Irish spiritualist Scott. If you try Scott too, you.
Speaker 6: Love SKA is like definitely probably niche stuff is where it's gonna have a harder time, But sk s KA.
Speaker 5: I wonder how much SKA data there is out there.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of SKA music out there.
Speaker 5: What should we make it about? Should we make it about iHeart radio?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 8: iHeartRadio and communication and clear channel communications? All right, it's here a scaw song. We're like, oh, it has to load for like thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: It feels weirdly like I'm upset that I have to wait that long for something to load online.
Speaker 9: It feels to you, huh, yeah, I guys what they're playing with it a lot, But It's funny to think about how much time and effort it does take to like produce a song typically I am twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting, wouldn't I guess that?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 4: Uh is it?
Speaker 7: One thing that's really compelling to me is your partner. When I came in here was very very much talking about the utility of this in terms of replacing human beings and tasks that are generally unpleasant laundry, doing the dishes, cleaning up trash. You seem a lot more bullish on robots replacing human beings and what are generally considered to be enterprises people want to do.
Speaker 1: With their time.
Speaker 7: Is that like a discrepancy that that you guys have kind of talked about or do you think it's something you guys are more on the same page with stuff.
Speaker 6: From a business standpoint, we're one hundred percent going after the dishes, laundry, uh, nursing practice of.
Speaker 5: Just doing vitals, which is the very repetitive task. That's the push. I was starting to just talk into.
Speaker 6: The aspect of the legged robots and kind of imagining why a legged version would have better utility or be something someone wants to purchase. Scared rather than the wheeled robot an yow stairs is definitely a.
Speaker 5: Big one of those.
Speaker 6: There are wheel types we're working on right now, would have ability to climb like single stairs obviously easiest, and that's what most people have in their home if they do have stairs.
Speaker 1: Oh, are we gonna listen to some robots?
Speaker 5: Scott my heart listeners system.
Speaker 4: Stop? Crazy's a scarf.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty basic melody.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's horns in it, but I feel like it's kind of takes in a I think it Helia is trying to do pot that it's just thrown some horns in on. This is a little closer to SCA, although it's still Yeah, it's not really singing, but I guess that's a matter of pace.
Speaker 1: What do you listen to?
Speaker 5: This is the worst that's going to be.
Speaker 3: I hear that a lot.
Speaker 7: It's interesting because GPT four took fifty times as much power as GPT three to train, and there's a lot of mixed reactions on that. And we're entering into a period where we're very likely looking at a recession venture capital funding.
Speaker 1: There's a chance it's not going to be what it has been.
Speaker 7: Is that concern you at all that, like this vaunted next level for all of this stuff, the energy cost, the investment cost is just not going to be borne by a market that is not going to be as strong tomorrow as it was today.
Speaker 1: At least in the immediator.
Speaker 6: I think even if we created no more energy as a human species today, the amount of advanced once we create would from an architectural standpoint, continue to advance.
Speaker 5: So you have other models.
Speaker 6: Like I think LAMA three point three, which has matched four oh's capabilities and is I forget how many parameters, but like super like much much much smaller and was much cheaper to train, and like we're continuing to see like smaller models that are just as effective and we're much cheaper training runs. I think Deep Seek was one of the newest ones.
Speaker 7: What I'm what I'm concerned about is I'm looking at the p and L right, I'm looking at open AI's PNL. I'm looking at the fact that they're losing five or six billion dollars last year and we're very good chance it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be somewhere in the neighborhood to double that this year.
Speaker 7: And I'm it's not that there's nothing impressive there it's not that I don't see like, oh, you can generate a song that's got like guitar and and and trumpets and vocals and stuff and you know a minute or so.
Speaker 1: It's not that that's not.
Speaker 7: Impressive, but like a pilier trick, isn't a trillion dollar business, And that's the kind of investment they're looking at. And I do wonder like, is it not much more reasonable to focus on folding laundry?
Speaker 6: Well, obviously, I personally am in the the boathouse of focusing on allowing this intelligence to flourish and doing these laborious tasks and getting them in the households. I do think from opening eye standpoint, and the reason why vcs and private investors will value them so highly is what's next is white collar work.
Speaker 5: A lot of the jobs online. That's what they do.
Speaker 6: Have an internal model which is able to control the computer, you know, the same way you would ask an executive assistant to do certain things online.
Speaker 5: Now it's just.
Speaker 7: Jobey's handing along all of their emails now through AI, which is you know, we'll see how.
Speaker 1: Well that works on the long term.
Speaker 7: There's been some interesting pulling on like the degree to which customers and investors feel trust when somebody's responding to them with an AI. But what's interesting, I mean more here is the dichotomy between what I see here is a very pragmatic choice, which is, we're not going to try and remake a human being formed robot and.
Speaker 1: Deal with like knees and hips and all of that stuff. We don't need that.
Speaker 7: We can have its turn up and down on this platform and reach things the same way. Melded to what I consider to be kind of a little more pie in the sky. We're doing this as eventually something that can take creative roles and think independently and make things, which is it's interesting to me to see that in a company's DNA of what you guys are eight months out right now, yep, is that what you're more interested in?
Speaker 5: I'd say, I tailor my pitch to the person I'm talking to.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 6: So some people definitely enjoy thinking about more of the sci fi futures that are coming, for example, the droids building Droid's moment. It's when you know you are decreasing your own manufacturing costs by using your own hardware to build more of that hardware and parts are just being shipped into the factory.
Speaker 5: Obviously.
Speaker 6: I think the first fully automated phone factory just came out in China recently, which is like some cool press in news, but the phone is separate from the actual manufacturing process.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's that like interesting component.
Speaker 6: The exciting part of the idea that how do we reach true abundance as a species of material and resources is well, because GDP is a calculation of capita times productivity, a robot really represents capita one in it of creation. And I'd say that's where the sci fi thinking comes into play, and it's it's not not worth going there when just dreaming about the future robotics and talking about it and having an interesting, engaging conversation, But definitely when it comes to what are we doing from an engineering standpoint on the day to day and how are we trying to approach the market, those conversations are not at being had.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate your time and you gave me a lot. I'm gonna let you get to the other peak. Thank you, Thank you so much to meet you.
Speaker 6: Jack.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that's super interesting.
Speaker 1: I hope you all liked Jack Jay as much as I didn't.
Speaker 3: Getting to twenty seventy years old and not knowing what.
Speaker 1: Scott is that old. I thought he was much younger, like you thought he was like twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yes, but the fact that he like he didn't know what SKA was as a genre, he wasn't was unaware of it.
Speaker 1: I don't think he listens to music.
Speaker 3: Well, he listens to AI generated hess.
Speaker 1: To AI generated music, he's just as good.
Speaker 3: He has the most, he's the most. I listen to AI generated music vines. If anyone I've ever seen before, just very.
Speaker 1: Clearly does not have a soul. No, like like nothing, nothing would leave the universe.
Speaker 3: If he did, right, Like it's so opposite from the first guy you talked to, who was it so like about? No, I want to have smart, actual tasks that people don't enjoy. Yeah, I love cinematography. I love I love filmmaking. I don't First of all, I don't think a robot can can replace this.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: I watched five different AI generated movies yesterday, and they all looked like shit, even like.
Speaker 3: A robot handling a physical camera to make like to make like choices on like shot framing and composition, and.
Speaker 1: Like it's one thing to be like, we want we have a race cargoing, and so we've got this robot on a track so we can go seventy miles an hour and we're just kind of running on a street. Follow it because a human being can move that. That's sure. One thing we've left out of this up so far. So this this machine that I described earlier, this robot that goes up and down this rolling base has a floppy Donald Trump mask over the over its head.
Speaker 3: Which first attracted us to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why we showed up there in the.
Speaker 3: A robot moving its arms around wearing a Donald Trump mask. And as Robert was interviewing this guy, the robot was like moving around and like trying to simulate its washing dishes capability, and it knocked over the same water bottle about five times. It couldn't it couldn't pick it up consistently, So I will not trust it with my fine china. I'll say that.
Speaker 1: As soon as I got up there, I asked, like, I couldn't take my jacket off, now can it fold? And He's like, well, we'd have to reprogram it. And it was this when I talked to the guy, I was like because he was like, yeah, we really see this as being, you know, potentially good for elder care. Sure, and you know, we had just seen the product we talked about in the last episode, which, for all of it's I don't know that I think it'll work. Was a lot of thought and care went into it. I was like, okay, so, like, what work have you done to build a machine that can like communicate and be helpful to like people who are dealing with health issues in their their later years. And like, well that's why it's open right, someone else will Yeah, it's open sources. Someone else can do it.
Speaker 5: Part.
Speaker 1: See, you guys are just you guys are just saying it can do everything because somebody could potentially code something for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah cool, there always could be code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there could be code. I mean again, the other guy, the actual engineer, seemed very interested in the nuts and bolts of making an affordable, reproducible machine that could handle specific tasks, and Jack Jay had absolutely no interest in the actual machine that they were making. This is clearly could not be clear. This is just a stepping stone, and he's kind of grossed out by it because it's not replacing all human art with a machine that he owns.
Speaker 3: He's a man completely fueled by Lex Friedman podcasts, and he doesn't want to actually do any real work. He just wants to talk about how AI is going to take over everything and we have to welcome it in and here listen to this is SKA.
Speaker 1: He wants to take money by owning something that does not provide anything and also put people out of work. Like, at no point did he express a desire to do anything other than replace something people were already doing with something worse that tech guys could profit from. That's all there is to this man. He's not a human.
Speaker 3: It's so anti human.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I cannot overemphasize the degree to which there was nothing behind this boy's eyes.
Speaker 3: Well, do you know what, there's also nothing super intelligent behind.
Speaker 1: That's not true. All of our ads are sponsored by real people, even if they're bad people, they're at least people. They live and they love and they hate and you know, maybe they have a promo code.
Speaker 10: Let's see, all right, So after our lovely, Our Lovely Robotic.
Speaker 1: Jack j Jessanowski Adventure, Oh god, Also the SKA was Shiit not good? Not good? It did? It just kept saying the words Scott.
Speaker 3: He kept saying the word Scott music and saying the word Robert Robert Scott, well, just doing random noises. After we had our fill of that, we did walk around the rest of Showstoppers.
Speaker 1: He was so surprised that I wasn't. I wasn't impressed by any of the He was like, you must have heard the lady, man, I hear them.
Speaker 3: It's not good.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like I made this comparison a few times. If somebody like walked in while I'm at a house party was like, hey, man, I taught my dog to masturbate to pornography with its with its pause. I would be like, well, I mean that's like, I guess impressed. I didn't think a dog could do that. Like I am kind of impressed, I guess, But I don't want this like this, this doesn't do anything for me. It's you figured this out?
Speaker 3: What what value does this?
Speaker 1: How does the dog know who Farah Fawce it is? I have questions, sure, but it doesn't give me anything like no Farah Fauce it was Garrison.
Speaker 3: No, goddamn, what do you think I do?
Speaker 1: I don't know anymore?
Speaker 3: Well, what I did is walk around the rest of showstoppers. I saw this one booth that had like a like an iPhone case with like a little like keyboard on the bottom that like plugs in, and I started messing around with it, and the guy that booth walked up to me and made fun of me because he's like, you've never you've never held a phone with He literally said, like, you've never had a BlackBerry before, have you? Like no, Like, yeah, you're typing all wrong.
Speaker 6: On that.
Speaker 1: There was a solid nine day news cycle when Barack Obama, newly the president, revealed that he had a BlackBerry.
Speaker 3: I remember that, which sounds like a lifetime There was a.
Speaker 1: Company called r im once and they made a tablet that was pretty good and we only made a couple of rim job jokes about it, but it didn't do very well, and so I gave it to my dad and accidentally there was still a picture of my dick on it. Anyway, that's a story for another day.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: These are the kind of things you get recording at eleven fifty six pm.
Speaker 3: And wet Tuesday, gott to get to bed, but no, he made fun of me for not knowing how to use a smartphone keyboard.
Speaker 1: He did the right thing.
Speaker 3: I don't need to use that because I have a keyboard on my phone built in already. It's much faster. So anyway, we stopped it at this company that makes well now just makes the software to use in conjunction with the augmented reality glasses and any like high powered laptop, specifically the laptops that have like built in like you know, like co pilots, because they require like higher processing power, they have an NPU or something like that, like a like an ampro processing unit is what they're calling AI dedicated GPU thing. Effectively, it allows you to hook up these glasses and run you know, possibly infinite amount of monitors using AR. And we talked about this company last year because we saw them a show stoppers.
Speaker 1: You put on the glasses and it's like you've got six monitors or whatever that are all full size, and.
Speaker 3: It's actually really easy to use.
Speaker 1: It works very well, seamlessly, it's nice.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's good quality, easy to use, you can move the monitors around.
Speaker 1: It's an excellent, excellent game.
Speaker 3: We talked to them last year and the main thing that was holding this like holding us back on it is that you needed to use their own proprietary lab.
Speaker 1: It was their own laptop, and it wasn't a great one.
Speaker 3: It was just like a Linux laptop. It didn't have everything like I want out of my own personal laptop.
Speaker 1: And we were still impressed with it.
Speaker 3: Then it was still it was so good. Yeah, and now you can just use any high power laptop with it essentially. So it's lovely to see that improved. We saw this lovely like like very small foldable projector.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was cool. What's the company? That company name, because we should be we should be giving out the name.
Speaker 3: Yes, the ar glasses and the software system is called spacetop very good by a company called Sightful. It works works great. But yeah, this this little folding folding projector currently has a kickstarter. The company is called aura Zen yeah, or as Zen specifically, it was the zip trifled projector. Right now. It's it's a seven to twenty p very small foldable projector. It has a whole it has like like an auto focusing auto keystone. They're working to get it up to ten DP, but they're running a kickstarter right now to ship in about three months. Super good quality stuff.
Speaker 1: If you're a gadget rishina, Like it felt like a quality piece of electronics in my hands, Like the way it like snapped when it closed just felt good. I'm I think I'm gonna buy one like it's it's exactly what I want for traveling, which is the ability to it goes up to like eighty inches of screen and like very good resolution. The ability to just have that plugged in to a battery or the wall and my laptop and like wherever I happen to be, I've got a movie screen that I don't have to worry about the fucking hooking up a TV to my laptop or some shit.
Speaker 3: It doesn't need Wi Fi to work. It just can cast from from your phone.
Speaker 1: A u r ze and zip trifle projector Aura zen yep, yep. I think they're selling them for two fifty right now.
Speaker 3: That's for the for the Kickstarter.
Speaker 1: For the kickstart, it will go up a little one. That's a product. But we saw it. It works. They had a lot of they had tracking and stuff so it like automatically would focus on ship.
Speaker 3: Auto focuses and at like it scales correctly forwards, projecting it automatically like adjusts like the tilt of it so that it you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously this isn't the full review because we don't own one, but form everything we could tell by looking at it. In the moment we tried it out, I hooked up my phone to it.
Speaker 3: As I went to my phone screen, I realized I have a slightly I would say, artful flute image of an angel. I quickly swiped away from.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't show your dick to your damn my home.
Speaker 3: Screen of my phone. You know they're gonna worse.
Speaker 1: Things always be worse. But I think where will end is? And this actually is not entirely in order, because this is the next after we had that conversation with our friend Jack Jay, which just left me thinking about, like, some people aren't really people, right, That's what I kind the sole thing is.
Speaker 3: It is a sham. It's all. It's all for rooms. It's soulless.
Speaker 1: We immediately walk over and we just kind of like randomly turn a corner and there's like a human shin like tibia amphibia basically with like a carbon fiber you know, frame around it that's roughly the shape of like a person's lower leg, lower leg, and it's called bio leg. It's a powered microprocessor knee made in Japan, where it is a prosthetic, but unlike most prosthetics, it is powered and has a muscle built into it, so like when you lift up your prosthetic, it doesn't hang and it doesn't lock. It actually has a degree of motion and it feels like what lifts the rest of the leg what you're remaining muscles like it measures based on like it can like take measurements from them and it can act intelligently based on that. And I know that it works because the inventor was there and he was a man who was missing his leg below the knee and had built this for himself.
Speaker 3: You spent like ten years working on this, Yeah, eight years, he said.
Speaker 1: Eight years. And that's like really the thing that is like so both like addictive and also like this like very tonal whipless. You get at ces as you will go from like this dead eyed con man trying to scam the world so he can do god knows what kinds of other harms with absolutely nothing, nothing inside him at all, And then I lost my leg and I built a better prosthetic to help the entire world, and that's like thirty seconds between those two experiences.
Speaker 3: And like that's that's like the dark magic of cees. Like I don't like, I'm not like anti tech, like I think there. I think technology can really improve people's lives if used well. And sometimes I get kind of black pilled walking around. See yes, but then we'll stumble across this, like you know someone who like literally lost a leg and made themselves their own better leg.
Speaker 1: Eight years figuring out how to do this. Yeah, is winning award.
Speaker 3: It's like award winning, like tech innovation.
Speaker 1: It's changing your as a person who has lost your lower le, like changing being able to like have a normal gait and balance again, like massive potential to improve people's lives as a result of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just steps away from Ai ska Ai and Donald trump Man Lafle.
Speaker 1: The company is again Bionic IM and it's the bio Leg.
Speaker 3: Biolag is the product.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Bioleague is the product by Bionic M.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try to check it out more tomorrow at Eureka Park, which at this point you know that'll be like maybe future episodes come next week. But I guess this closes our actual like like we coadge.
Speaker 1: Let's go get fucked up and eat Japanese food.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm here, I'm down, Let's do it.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 9: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can now find sources for it could Happen Here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.