Speaker 1: It's Thursday, December fourteenth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hours presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District. And now that guy who believes, once upon a Sunday night Cheerie, we'll see the Purple team get weary and banish them from Everbank's doors and hope the Ravens never score. J. P.
Speaker 2: Chacker well Edgar Allen's got nothing on Joseph Welcome in. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, and this is Thursday. It's week fifteen, Big week.
Speaker 3: Certainly for the Jaguars. A month left in the regular season and play to get too.
Speaker 2: In the next two hours. First off on Jaguars Happy Hour, the Ravens Jaguars coming up, of course, Sunday night football for the Jaguars for the first time since two thousand and eight on NBC. Battle of first Place Teams and communication has been the buzzword this week around Lamiller Electric Center. Plenty to discuss there.
Speaker 3: Of course, with head coach Doug Peterson.
Speaker 2: He'll be with us in studio at five o'clock on the Jaguars Radio Network for the Doug Peterson Show and Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. On ten ten XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP Shadwick and Jaguars analyst Jeff Logoman, Good afternoon, Logs, Good afternoon, JP. Great matchup this week Ravens Jaguars. The AFC playoff race is wide open, certainly if the Jaguars can handle business this week. The number one seed really for a number of teams is.
Speaker 3: Back and forth. Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean yeah.
Speaker 2: Picture, if they lose, If the Ravens lose, then the Dolphins are there. Then of course the Chiefs, if they get their act together, they can make a run at it.
Speaker 3: The Jaguars as well. I like to keep it a little bit more simple and that look, the Jaguars need to keep their distance the space that they've created right now in the AFC South, and they also need to get back to playing good football, good football to where you're not making mistakes that hurt your chances of winning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pre snap penalties, missed assignments on decommunication breakdowns. I can hear led Zeppelin. Yeah, that one that's been the word this week. Communication both sides of the ball, all three phases really, and they've just had a few lapses over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: They've they've had a few. But I think the concerning part is is that defensively, you had three lapses that cost you three scores, and if you don't have that, you're looking at a completely different game. Offensively, you had four giveaways as an offense, and I've believe that three of them were controllable. One of them Parker Washington fumbling the ball. Look that happens. Ball carriers are gonna turn the ball over. I would have liked to have seen Parker surrender himself a little bit sooner once he realized that he wasn't gonna go anywhere. But I understand that it's in a young player's nature to try to get all the yards that's there, especially Parker Washington is a strong player and can fight through tackles at times. But the other mistakes there's I mean, you can pinpoint exactly why they shouldn't happen, and they've got to get that cleaned up, especially now that you're in the month of December. If you're gonna give yourselves a chance. When I say give yourselves a chance, I'm not talking about a chance of winning the division. I'm talking about big picture stuff. Okay, I'm gonna go to your big picture. Back to the big picture for the Jaguars. If you're gonna find a way to assert yourself once the playoffs start, you have to start building to that now. Much like they did last year. They built on their way and then they got they got to get on a roll. You've got to do the same thing here in the month of December, and the time is the time is starting to shrink.
Speaker 2: And they're facing obviously a team this week that I mean, they're good number one seed for a reason. Assistant football in the AFC.
Speaker 3: They're really good. And what if how many games in a row have they won? They're rolling three in a row and they've won I think seven out of their last eight games or something like that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They've got a top offense, a number one rushing attack I think in the National Football League, but a top ten offense overall. They've got the number two defense in yards allowed, number two defense in points scored. They've got a lot of good players on that side of the ball and oh, by the way, they're number one rushing offense in the National Football League includes the yards of a quarterback who's the most mobile quarterback in the league. And not only does he stress the defense because he's a threat to run the ball every single time, but he's also a threat from the pocket, more so, I think than he's been in the past. And he's a threat once he gets out of the pocket because he creates these all schedule plays where he extends the play, buys time and he's finding Odell Beckham Junior and Zay Flowers his wide receivers down the field and gaining big chunks and that's something to be concerned about, and you better be ready for him. I can tell you that.
Speaker 2: That's where this communication stuff comes into play again this week. And yeah, run fits and everything that go into that type of game. With an extra body to account for on the offensive side of guy. You know, a lot of these quarterbacks you know aren't running threats. Lamar certainly is, whether they designed it or otherwise. But you've got to just maintain where you are on defense. And he gets out of the gate. He can score from anywhere on the field.
Speaker 3: Well, and he lost. He lost arguably his best weapon in Mark Andrews a couple of weeks ago with the hip drop tackle against the Cincinnati Bengals, and that was a tough loss for him. But the Ravens have have really, I think recovered nicely from that injury. Isaiah likely the tight end that's taken some of the reps away from Mark or taking some of the reps of the loss of Mark Andrews, has done a good job. But the continued emergence of the wide receivers in their performance in that offense has been really good. Look Todd Mounkin, if you don't, is there an Offensive Coordinator of the Year award in the National Football League? I mean, if there were, I think he would be up for that. I mean he's one of the coaches I think that's had a significant impact on his side of the ball with his team. And he came obviously, he was here for I think two or three years as a wide receivers coach four years four years so seven to ten and and really enjoyed being around Todd. He was kind of a fun, no bones about it kind of coach. And went to the University of Georgia and helped them win back to back national titles there and then leaves there and goes to the Baltimore Ravens. And I think this is as good as Lamar Jackson has looked from the pocket since twenty nineteen when he won the League MVP. But when he won the League MVP, I mean he was doing a lot of that MVP stuff with his legs. Sure, he was threw a lot of touchdowns oh two, okay that year. But I think he's maybe at his best from the pocket this year that he's been in his entire career, which is impressive.
Speaker 2: The Jaguars run defense overall this year is what they take pride in the most and for the most part, they've been pretty good against the run. And it's not just Lamar. They can't hand it off. They've got a handful of backs to touch the football. And where does it begin for this Jags run defense and what's the state of affairs on the defensive line in front seven.
Speaker 3: Well, with this Jaguars defense, everything about their defense has to start with stopping the run. And this goes back JP to what we talked about before they even played a regular season game, and I said at that time that this defense is not talented enough to not be good against the run. In other words, they have to be amazing against the run to give themselves a chance at doing all the other good things as a defense, rushing the passer, taking the ball away, being good against the pass, being good on third down, and as we've seen this year when they haven't been great against the run, Okay, looks to look at the Cincinnati game. Let's look at this the forty nine ers game. When they haven't been good against the run, They've given up a lot of yards in the game. I think what the forty nine ers put up, like four hundred and ninety yards or something. The Bengals put up three hundred and ninety one, doing large part because they weren't really good against the run like they usually are. And so they've got to be good against the run this week, against the number one rushing attack in the National Football League. If you don't, then it's gonna be extremely hard because if Lamar Jackson is in second and fours and second and fives, and third and twos and third and threes, his legs are gonna be able to convert a lot of the first downs into play calling becomes very easy for Todd Munkin because he's a mobile quarterback. So you've got to do a good job on the first and second down runs. And if you if you do that, I think you give yourselves a chance. If you don't, I think it's gonna be tough when they do put it in the air.
Speaker 2: Zay Flowers, rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior is part of this team at the wide receiver as well. And how about the guys on the outside, especially with the Jaguars secondary.
Speaker 3: Some names on the injury report this week, Yeah, which is concerning Cisco's on the injury report. Typhon Campbell remains on the injured report, whereas Trey Hernon gonna be at after missing the last game with a head injury. I think those are all things that you got you got to keep an eye on to see how that plays out. You know, Sunday night, do you get a little extra time just because it's Sunday night? I mean yeah, maybe, I mean you get a few extra hours, you know, but don't. I don't know how much or if that's gonna be able to help. But most importantly, I don't care who plays it's a matter of this defense has got to get back to communicating, and if they don't, it's gonna be costly. You know. You look at the one touchdown late in the ball game to Bell last week in Cleveland, and it's man coverage and you just got to communicate between two guys to make sure that two guys aren't covering the same guy and then one's guys wanting running free, because that's exactly what happened on the last touchdown. If you just communicate, then all of a sudden, then you take care of business. You know, the first touchdown to the tight end to Joku, you know, as an outside linebacker defensive end, you know you've got to be able to pound the joke whu because it's essentially you're playing like a goal line defense. And Trayvon ended up getting fooled into thinking that it was a run. And as a defensive end, a lot of people would say, well, why would we have Trayvon covering Joku? Well, if he kicks his rear end at the line of scrimmage running down the field, then he's not going anywhere. And you know that obviously was a big mistake in that ball game. And then you had a communication breakdown when Nadjoku is crossing the field and he gets his second touchdown on the ballgame, communication issue between linebackers, and then you have you know, the last one, which was the bell one.
Speaker 2: How does this happen in week fourteen? I mean you expect this kind of thing in like week three.
Speaker 3: Well, look, it can happen all the time, and it's sometimes when you when you get into the season, especially you get late in the season, you can have a tendency to take things for granted, okay, whereas early in the season you're like, okay, you know, we're still communicating. But then you know, well it's kind of become an old hat. We need to read to really talk. Yes, I mean that's you know, over communication. There's no such thing. It doesn't exist. If you over communicate, it's it's a positive thing. It means you're communicating. I know that Doug Peterson mentioned earlier in the week about how he wants them to over communicate in practice and he's really stressing the coaches to make sure that they're hearing it so that the players are hearing it themselves. But yes, it's something that's got to get cleaned up and JP. Every team deals with some of those issues late in the season. It's not something like it's just unique to the Jaguars. It's a constant battle and that you're trying to to continue to not be comfortable, I think is a good way to put it, because if you get comfortable, then you kind of get a little bit I don't want to say lazy, but you get used to oh, well, yeah, we got it. Yeah, well no, you don't have it. You still got to make sure that you do have it and you do communicate this week because this week is different. You gotta keep that edge every week, well you really do. I mean, it's about keeping the edge. But it's also look especially in the back end for the Jaguars because you're having a lot of different guys playing, okay, I mean from Antonio Johnson to winger to Greg Junior, Monterrek Brownell, everybody's been playing with the injuries that you've had in the back end with this Jaguars defense, and you got to get it cleaned up. All right, We've got plenty to get to.
Speaker 2: We'll come back in just a moment and take a look at the Jaguars offensive matchup this week against a really good Ravens defense. Imagine that the Ravens with really good defense, like happens all the time.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they've ever had a bad defense. I don't remember it. I mean really, I mean, if you think about it, I mean, even going back to the early days of this franchise, that's what they started with, had they had a couple of really good defenders on Team Jags.
Speaker 2: Fans want customized Jags furniture for your home, checkout zipchare dot com and browse all customizable options. Zip Chair furniture for fans at for thirty. Kai Stevens in studio with us. We're on ten to xcel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, and it's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you at the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving.
Speaker 4: We have not had wrong routes. It has not been this person doesn't know what they're doing, They're running the wrong route or things like that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I think back to we had three interceptions the other day in the game. I think two of one of them we didn't expect the ball at the time. The ball came out sore head one around, we ended up missed opportunity. Unfortunately, that turned into an interception. If the ball hits the ground, it's first down, second down. We'll keep playing the down or keep playing the series out.
Speaker 3: We had another one.
Speaker 4: We got zero blitz. The ball's got to come out. You know they're they're bringing more pressure than we have protectors. Quarterback through a go ball. I think receiver thought the ball is gonna get thrown earlier because of where the coverage was. But again, understanding the entire situation, what the quarterbacks dealing with, the ball comes out early turned into an interception as well. And then we had another one. We took a post route a little flatter across the field where we were expecting maybe a little deeper angle on that, so nobody ran the wrong route.
Speaker 2: It's Press Taylor, the Jaguars offensive coordinator, and welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman that was the offensive coordinator. Earlier today, the full press conference on Jaguars Dot com and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no wrong routes.
Speaker 2: Guys are running the right routes just a little tick off or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think it's still at the end of the day, it's still the same thing. You know, if somebody runs the wrong route or somebody doesn't get their head around, what's the difference. Okay, it's still the same result.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not like, I guess wrong route is Hey, he was supposed to run a post and he ran it out instead or something, right, But if he's supposed to.
Speaker 3: Get his head around, then then that's you might as well run the wrong route. Okay, all right, So semantics, I guess well, I mean, look, it needs to get fixed, and whatever it is that needs to be fixed needs to be fixed. And if this offense can eliminate that, then I think that they've got a chance. Even without some of their key players. It looks like they may end up getting a little bit healthy along the offensive line this week, you know, trending in that direction at least. Maybe another game without Christian Kirk, another game under the belt of Parker Washington, another game of Trevor Lawrence not having Christian Kirk, another game of Evan Ingram, being outstanding. I mean, the last two games he's been just fantastical.
Speaker 2: Think about this, and you know he's got eighty four catches this year, is the second most by a tight end in the league. This year, only Hockinson has won more. The league record for tight ends single season catches is one hundred and sixteen. He could make that very easily. It's four games to go. I mean you'd have to really kind of saddle up and do some big things.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's just do the math. Okay, let's if he stays on pace, which should be a tour pace like he has the last two weeks, he had another forty catches.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see one hundred and sixteenth, let's say, yeah, sixteen says yeah, thirty two catches twenty six Yeah, one hundred and sixteen and two.
Speaker 3: Let's just two games. But I mean that's he would blow it out of the water. Yeah, okay, add forty catches. No, he had forty catches to it, he would be close to what's the tile you said the titles, it's one hundred and sixteen by ten, it'd be one twenty six. If he kept the same pace that he's had the two.
Speaker 2: Weeks, thirty two away from tying the record, and uh, and look, I don't know if he can keep up this pace.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that would be a lot to ask, but without Christian Kirk it may end up happening. Yeah. That twenty catches for one hundred and seventy seventy yards and three touchdowns in two weeks unraised big by the way, twenty eighteen, zach Ertz Philly has the record of one hundred and sixteen catches, okay in a season, so's it's possible.
Speaker 2: And then now, of course, now the other thing is we're talking to hearing from Press Taylor about the routes and all the things. That's because Zay Jones and Calvin Ridley had twenty seven targets last week and only nine catches.
Speaker 3: It's not good enough. I mean, compare that to Evan Ingram and he had twelve targets and eleven catches. I mean, look, I'm not expecting people to be into the ninety percentile in catch percentage. It just doesn't happen. I mean, most of your big time wide receivers, if it's fifty percent, you feel pretty good about it. As long as they're giving you big plays on that fifty percent. But I would like to see it much better than that. I mean, for Zay and Calvin, it's got to be much better than that. So work in progress on that.
Speaker 2: Ten to Nexcel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, Jaguars Happy Hour coming up at five o'clock.
Speaker 3: It's the Doug Peterson Show. We'll hear from the Jaguars head coach.
Speaker 2: PRI Productions, the official event production company of the Jags, has.
Speaker 3: Everything you need to bring.
Speaker 2: Your next idea to life. Visit PRI Productions dot com. Well, this Ravens defense is highly ranked and it's quite a matchup this week against this Jaguars offense. You mentioned the offensive line, the left side of it. We'll see what is in play there. But I mean they've got forty nine sacks this year and they really spread the wealth of those.
Speaker 3: There's not one huge massive stat.
Speaker 2: Guy, I know, They've got a bunch of dudes across the board playing football.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, a lot of people getting sacks, including some of the Ravens defensive backs. Yeah, and this is a defense. First of all, it's a really good defense. But do they have an elite player like a Miles Garrett or an Aaron Donald or Nick Bosa. I would say no, but the numbers on one guy would tell you yes. And that's Justin Madabike, which is the defensive tackle for them, who has eleven sacks, which is the most sacks by any defensive tackle in the National Football League, more than Chris Jones, more than Aaron Donald, which is impressive. Is he really one of those type of players. I think he's good. I think he's a notch below those guys though. But statistically he's been on a roll. He's had ten games in a row with at least a half a sack or better. And if he ends up having a half a sack or better this week, it would would tie a National Football League record for eleven consecutive games with a half sacker better than if he goes on to have one more game than he would be in sole possession of that record. So he's a good football player. But there's a lot of good football players that they have. Clowney was a nice acquisition for them. Yeah, and Clowney has had look Clowney's never been known as this great pass rusher. He's always been a great disruptor has always been the way I think to look at him. Two times in his career he's had nine sacks. He's got seven and a half now, so he can end up tying his career high. Well, look, the guy was on the street for anybody to take and nobody was willing to give him a contract for a while. He came in here right yes for a visit, and the Jaguars chose not to sign him. Another guy that was available that they picked up, who's having arguably a career years kyleve Andoi, longtime player of the Patriots where he gained a lot of fame, and he's been a really good football player for many years. And he's on his way to having a career high in sacks. If he gets one more, that's a career high for him his tenth year.
Speaker 5: O T.
Speaker 3: Fey O Way, the outside linebacker young player is a pretty good, solid player. The two linebackers are arguably the best of the league. Those guys can run around and come hit you too. Ro Kwan Smith and Patrick Queen, I mean, these two guys can fly. They have the best nick slash safety in the National Football League in Kyle Hamilton. He is a stud. I'm talking flat out stud. If you were having a draft, okay, and we're going to draft safety's, okay that have the ability to play nickel, He's number one. Can you name me another that you might think about? Why? What is this skill what? Why is he that good? Because he he's a long safety that's an excellent blitzer. He's got great ball skills, he's an excellent tackler. And most safeties that are long can't play nickel because they don't have the short area of quickness he does, which is which is rare. And I would say, just to throw this little side note in there, I think Antonio Johnson are the Jaguars. Antonio Johnson has a skill set that's similar to Kyle Hamilton. Hamilton's sixty four, man, that is tall. What is Antonio Johnson? He's sixty three right, yeah, yeah, he's six three one ninety five and and Hamilton sixty four. He's a little bit bigger, but that length. See, yeah, that's a big dude right there. Now he's good. Now, I mean he's really good. So I mean defensively, they've I mean, if you want to talk, when I said they don't have any great players. Kyle Hamilton's a great player, make no mistake about it. Matta bk is a really good player. He hasn't I wouldn't call him great because it's the first time that he and I think his sack total in his entire career, he's almost surpassed that in one year, which is a contract here, kachin kaching, imagine that that happens to work out pretty good. And on the outside, Marlon Humphrey has been a good player at corner for a long time. On the other side, Brandon Stevens is playing quite a bit and Geno Stone's a safety for them that plays a ton because Kyle Hamilton ends up moving to the nickel and then Geno Stone comes in and plays safety and he is second in the National Football League with six interceptions. So this defense is good and they're physical.
Speaker 2: And don't forget when when every of the Ravens are on the schedule, the special team's part of it. You know, the field goal game is going to be there from wherever they need it to be. With Tucker, he's hit the longest field goal in league history in his past and obviously some big time kicks in his career and a lot of them and in the punt block game and all that stuff under Harball like that that is a priority.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Harball was the former special teams coordinator. Now he's the head coach of the Ravens and of course have been there forever. And there's not many many head coaches in the National Football League that came from being a special teams coordinator. Chris Horton, who is the special teams coordinator now the Ravens, will be getting interviews in this next hiring cycle. He will get an opportunity to interview for a head coaching job. Very well respected. I think he's been there for five years now, and in the five years that he's been there, they have performed at a high level on special teams that they've been a top ten special teams unit every year that he's been their special teams coordinator. If it comes down to special teams, look out look. The Ravens last week against the Rams and overtime ended up having a backup punt returner ended up taking it to the house and overtime and won the game for us.
Speaker 2: The hell of a return to rapin move tiptoed the sideline, came out of a tackle and kept running those offs.
Speaker 3: Well. Devin Duverney is their normal punt returner and is a Pro Bowl punt returner I believe ended up getting was injured unavailable and uh and then this little use is it? Tillan Tyland is Tayland, Tylan Wallace right Tayland. Uh wow, what a great play. And Tyland Wallace is he's one of these little guys you'll get a little scat guys, okay, and he did a great job and taking it all the way back.
Speaker 2: We've got plenty to get to. Kay Stevens joins us after the break, Jaguars reporter. We'll get her thoughts on the week ahead and Sunday Night football.
Speaker 3: And of course the Jaguars are the Ravens coming up.
Speaker 2: The game prison centered by publics, where shopping is a pleasure and Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water.
Speaker 3: It's worth saving.
Speaker 6: A lot of confidence downstairs, I meaning you guys are excited for this week. It's a you know, two good football teams coming together to top four right now in the AFC, you know, playing and obviously it's great for the NFL, great for great for fans and and you know, these are the games. Again, it goes back to what I expect our players to get used to, right playing in moments like this, in games like this. Baltimore obviously has. But the confidence is high, you know, and the confidence is great. I mean again, it just it just we have to turn it internally and just focus on us and make sure we are doing everything that we can in our power to be to be prepared for these games. But the confidence is the confidence is there.
Speaker 2: It's there, Head coach Doug Peterson earlier in the week and welcome back the Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Loghman. We're at the Hundai studios at the Miller Electric Center on Tintin XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. The Ravens Jaguars matchup presented by Publics where shopping is a pleasure. We're under the lights Sunday night football for the Jaguars for the first time since two thousand and eight. Kay Stevens joins us in studio now and good afternoon.
Speaker 7: Kai, good afternoon. I know Doug says we shouldn't get too excited, but I'm still getting gonna get excited because I love primetime games. It means a little bit more when the night game, I think, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we've been waiting all day for Sunday night. That's how the song.
Speaker 7: Goes, right, that's song about it?
Speaker 3: Of course, that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, and the division leading teams. It's mid December. I mean Christmas is like what two weeks away?
Speaker 3: I'm bad at math.
Speaker 2: It's always the twenty fifth, right, that's about I'm kidding, that's coming up. I mean, you know all these division races, the playoff chase slugs.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like, this is all you want? This is it? Well out Sunday night football at home? I mean, does it get any better than that? I mean it's Look, it's the national stage. It's an opportunity to win, which you last opportunity didn't do it so good on you know, so let's go, I mean, beat the number one seed and on national TV and show everybody that what you're a team to contend with.
Speaker 2: And you know that would also mean that they've probably communicated. Well, that's been the buzzword this week, Kai, and it's something that's popped up the last couple of weeks some points in each of those losses where they've lost a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of track of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I think a lot of the miscommunication issues from what we've noticed just with our own eyes, were on the defense previously, maybe with the secondary, whatever's going with the past rush. I know they've had a lot of injuries, but last week it was the offense, which obviously we knew they would struggle a little bit without Christian Kirk there because he does so much for this offense and he's so much in sync with Trevor Lawrence. But just to demonstrably, like you physically see them like putting their hands up and like they just look a little bit out of sorts and confused, and I know everybody's kind of like listen, like traveed in practice, and of course there's a lot to do with that, but you're like, well, it's week fourteen fifteen, like we would assume they'd be on the same page, but obviously there's a lot of different things that go into that and there's several different plays. I would have to imagine that was a focus for them this week.
Speaker 3: I think that's the one thing that was surprising to me in this ballgame. You know, you got to hurt quarterback most of the time. You get this this raised awareness around him on that side of the ball. Look, we got to be really good, like the Neworleans gets help our guy out, right, you know, we got to make sure he stays protected. He's been beat up a little bit. And the protection in the Neworleans game, we go back and talk about that game was fantastic. How is the protection in this game not so good? Hit twelve times? Right? I want to say it was a record number of pressures on the year, like twenty six pressures. Twenty six times he was pressured in this ballgame. Boy, and the wide receivers, the miscommunication not on the same page, whatever you want to call it. But the fact that the matter is is that those around Trevor did not elevate their level of play, which was disappointing to me because that's what I expected the most, because look, when your guy is down a little bit, let's everybody pick it up. Okay, we're gonna pick it up because we know he may not be able to do something that he normally does, and it didn't happen.
Speaker 7: We did see a couple of flashes though, obviously having Ingram's been playing amazing the last two games, which without him, I don't even want to think about where they would be right now on offense. And then I've really been impressed with Parker Washington. I know he had that fumble, but he's really smart and I feel like the little tiny bit of the playbook he knows he is good at and as that grows, and as he takes all these reps with the first team on offense, where he was really mainly special teams before this, I have to imagine he'll get better. He's got two touchdowns so far, but I've been impressed with how quickly he's been picking things up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you probably have to kind of temper expectations a little bit. He's not going to be Christian Kirk. They're different style guys, same idea, but Christian's been at this for so long that it's just going to be a different output when he's out there, So maybe temper your expectations a little bit.
Speaker 7: He has an interesting skills set though, because I think he's a little more physical than Christian is, so like he can kind of fight for a ball when it goes for a jump ball, which is not you don't Alantays see that as in a slot receiver. So I think that's kind of interesting too.
Speaker 3: Well, he's built like a running back exactly. He's pretty thick. And yes, definitely the physical part is is great, great point because the physical aspect that he has is much better, I think, at a higher level than what Christian was at. But there's something that Christian had that Parker Washington doesn't have, and that's the elite speed to go deep. Not only is Christian an excellent short area of quickness guy, but Christian, if he's in man, he can run by some people. And I don't know if Parker Washington can do that. But he's got some quicks, he's got power, and I like his game and I think he's a He's an excellent acquisition for you know, being a six round draft pick is not very often you have a six round draft pick that you go, yeah, that's pretty good. You know.
Speaker 2: We saw in the in the Thursday Night Game, the Christian Kirk shortcatch and then outrunning everybody, like the fastest speed for any receiver this year or something for the Jags. That was that we missed that.
Speaker 3: We needs some of that, needs of that, Kay Stevens in studio with us.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, looked no further than Ford F one point fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate work play and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. You're a local four dealer, probably partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. This Jaguars Happy Hour on tenen XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadrick, Jeff Logoman, Kay Stevens and Lamar Jackson coming in former MVP and he's the leading rusher for the Ravens. He's about to surpass three thousand passing yards for the year, and yeah, you know what you're getting when Lamar.
Speaker 3: Comes to town.
Speaker 7: I think that's the scary thing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: We always knew he's a running threat, and now he's comfortable sitting in the pocket and he has wide receivers that he's trusting in and that can be very problematic for defenses trying to deal with that because he can't bite on everything because he will run by you and then it's seventy yards down or however far he wants to run. So obviously two under. I don't even I can't say it in a way that's big enough. It is a very big challenge for them, so I'm curious what the game plan will be.
Speaker 2: And lux then he's got the flick of the wrists, he can throw it down the field. It's not like I mean, he's got a really nice arm. Yeah, he's got a nice arm. Is that as accurate as some of the elite passers that we've seen in the league. No, but he's getting better and that's the impressive thing. What impresses me the most, though, is the ability to run and extend plays and and the way the way that he can protect himself without getting hit running the ball. And it reminds me. And I've never been a big video game player, but.
Speaker 7: Really, I heard you like pinball.
Speaker 3: I like pinball, okay, but not the video games. But he reminds me because I got a couple of friends that used to tell me that they would play mad and then they would create these super players, and somehow they crack the code on video games of some kind. They crack the code and create these players that had great you know that date up the category and speed, quaintness, smart's all that kind of stuff. And that's what Lamar is. It's like he just he's at a different level when you watch him on the field and how that he can evade people and not get hit okay, and still keep his eyes down the field and still make a throw at thirty yards with the flick of a wrist, and you go, how does he do that? You know? But he does it. And that's the part art that you get scared about with him is because he has that ability to wear any play. He can make you pay at any moment, and in two different ways with his legs and with his arms.
Speaker 2: I had logs pegged as like a PS five Madden player like in the tournaments and everything, you know, what I did was wrong.
Speaker 3: I used to play the only time I ever played video games. So this was back when we played EA Sports, NHL Hockey, Oh, great game back in Genesis early nine games. Yeah, and I used to play with the equipment guys with the New York Jets. Hey, my team was Chicago Chelios and Jeremy.
Speaker 2: Rone the ninety three when I think had Yama Yaga on the cover, I had that one Sega Genesis A great game guy, great game.
Speaker 7: I'm an NBA gam girl myself.
Speaker 2: I was another great game and arcade game was even better than the video.
Speaker 3: But if I could do pinball is my thing. I'm a big pin ball guy. Like pinball.
Speaker 7: You heard it here first.
Speaker 2: Hey, there's arcade games and things at String Sports Brewery and tonight, who are the guests for All Access?
Speaker 7: Your specialists are with us. Logan Cook and Ross mattisk are going to join us, the long snapper and the punter, and I am thrilled about this. There's some of my favorite people on the team and they've been involved in some non special teams plays this year that you know, Ross forcing a fumble, recovering Logan with the you know with the fourth down throw there the fake. So they're a good time. It'll be good, it'll be a good show for sure.
Speaker 2: Logan Cook tied for six in the league and net punting average another fantastic season for him. He's got so many different types of punts in his arsenal.
Speaker 7: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does. And his secret weapon is the lefty throw. Yeah left handed?
Speaker 7: Is he left handed in real life? Yeah? When he rights left handed?
Speaker 3: And who in the world throws left handed and punts right footed. There's some baseball people that do that right, like throw left and bat right.
Speaker 7: I mean you can do that, yeah, but normally the right is like the predominant one. Right. So you're saying kick, which is your main job, you would use what you would assume was your main foot. So if he's left handed, you would think you would kick with his left foot.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know what we should do the commercial break, We'll go outside, We'll try to punt left you right handed? JP, I am right handed? Right right handed? Yes, oh yeah, let's go out there and try to punt left foot.
Speaker 7: And now I'm gonna pull something. I don't think that's it.
Speaker 2: There's a punter for the Tennessee Volunteers who is ambidextrious. He can kick with both legs, he's amphibious or that both.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that?
Speaker 7: Well, do you wear special shoes on each foot or are they both the same, because like you try to throw them off.
Speaker 2: It's a good point, right, you use your kicking shoe on the right foot of the left.
Speaker 3: You wear two kikin shoes, you wear them both, you wear right kick. I don't know how people can do that. That's very very odd there. But some people are ambidextrous and can do that. I remember, I think I've told you this story before, but we had a tight end that I played with in New York and he was a first round pick, Johnny Mitchell. And Johnny would take a football and throw it he actually played here for a year, would throw the ball sixty five yards right handed, and he tossed him another ball and he'd throw that one left handed sixty five yards. Who does that? I mean? And he could catch the ball one handed with his right hand, one handed with his left hand. It was just like wow. The amount of talent that this guy had was amazing. Didn't didn't live up to the first round pick extit questions, but he could throw the ball left and right handed for a long way.
Speaker 7: He's fun at parties, I bet he is.
Speaker 2: It'll be a party tonight at String Sports Brewery. And the specialist to there Logan Cooke Cross matt a sixth.
Speaker 7: Seven o'clock right, Yes, come see us Fox.
Speaker 2: Thirty right, Yes, yes, Fox thirty. That was an easy setup. Yes, we'll see you there. Kay, thanks, Kay Stevens joining us in studio plenty ahead. We'll take a look at the injury report when we return. Then at five o'clock the Doug Peterson Show with You Guessed It Head coach Doug Peterson and NBC Sports analyst.
Speaker 3: Devin mccordy joining us as well.
Speaker 2: This is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water It's worth saving.
Speaker 5: The tape is usually never as good or as bad as you think, so you watch it and it is what it is. There's corrections, obviously, there's things that we did in the game that are uncharacteristic and mistakes you know, all the way around that we can't make. But it is what it is, and you gotta correct them and move on. And same thing when you feel like you played great, there's usually stuff on the tape where you're like, hey, maybe it didn't play as good as I thought I did. I left a lot out there. So you know, good or bad, you gotta assess it and you gotta look at it for what it is, and you got to make the adjustments and corrections moving forward. And we had a great start for the day today.
Speaker 3: And got frightened obviously here in a little bit and be important to be.
Speaker 5: Sharp and just communicate and all the saints, which we've already kind of you know, fixed a lot of the issues, so I feel really good about it.
Speaker 2: That is quarterback Trevor Lawrence from Wednesday and welcome back. It is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water It's worth saving, JP Shadrick, Jeff Logoman or thanks to Kay Stevens. We're on tensin XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot com, Jaguars YouTube, and plenty to get to. At the five o'clock show, it's the Doug Peterson Show. Jaguars head coach will be with us in studio at five o'clock and we'll get his thoughts on.
Speaker 3: The week that was and the week ahead and the week.
Speaker 2: Of practice so far and how the Jaguars will try to bounce back.
Speaker 3: By the way, another lights.
Speaker 2: Show is scheduled before the game if you're coming to the game, which if you aren't.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you're not. You should.
Speaker 2: It's Sunday night footballshing to be a fantastic crowd. It will be a Teal light show this week before the game. So when you enter the stadium, everybody will have an educational flash card in the cup holder of their seat. So you'll need to synchronize your device for the light show, and you'll attach a Teal tab from.
Speaker 3: That card to your mobile device. Is flashlight.
Speaker 2: There's a QR code you can scan. There's all this stuff that can help you sink your phone. You should be in your seat by seven fifty.
Speaker 3: It's an eight twenty kick and it is a Teal out, Teal out, Teal light show, all Teal, So wear your Teal folks. If you're coming to the game. Players are gonna be wearing Teal. I would think so JP's gonna be wearing Tea. I have a few Teal shirts to choose from. I will be wearing my Teal shirt as well. Yeah, I might wear the one with a white stripe center. I don't have Teal pants.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm gonna ever get Teal pants, and I'm okay with I don't.
Speaker 3: Know man, some guys look pretty good in teal now pants, like Johnny. Oh, Johnny looks goodal pants. Sure they do.
Speaker 2: Uh. Time for the injury report, presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. It's not this guy. This guy doesn't look good in the teal in the pants. At least I'll take the shirt. Oh what of the shirt? Yeah, yeah, you don't need the pants. Yeah, you don't need I'm good. Attract attention to your legs. I'm good on that. The injury report, it's out on the Jaguars X account right now for today. Jamal Agnew Wide Receivers shoulder injury limited again today. Is window opened earlier this week and it could be trending the right way. That'd be a nice bonus to have Agnew back out there returning kicks.
Speaker 3: But I think it would be a boost to the special teams, and it would give you comfort, I think as a coaching staff to have the dependable Jamal Agnew back there fielding the kicks. You're always getting nervous about having a young player back there fielding upon at a critical moment when you get traffic around him or something of that nature, or making a wrong decision, but also having him on offense to be another weapon since Christian Kirk has been out, it would help, and it would also help from the standpoint of you can hand him the ball a couple times on speed reverses or things of that nature to be able to keep a defense honest, because Jamal's got, you know, returnability, and he's also got the ability to make things happen with the ball in his hand as a runner in certain circumstances. You know, he's not a tailback by any means. CJ.
Speaker 2: Bethard left shoulder issue full again today. Christian Braswell, cornerback, his window open off a hamstring injury.
Speaker 3: Limited today. The updates today.
Speaker 2: Tyson Campbell with a quadriceps injury is limited today. He didn't practice yesterday. Andre Cisco with a groin injury limited today. He was out yesterday, so that's good news. Offensive line Ezra Cleveland limited off the knee injury. Travis Etn junior ribs injury limited today, Trey Herndon concussion limited. Deeranest Johnson running back knee injury limited. Wide receiver Ja Jones limited with the knee injury, Trevor Lawrence full go with the ankle, Walker Little the left tackle with a hamstring injury limited, and Brenton Strange with a foot injury limited. So let's see about the offensive line, Little and Ezra Cleveland obviously there, and then Brenton's Strange. Could he be back in the fold this week, we'll see.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's a typical list at this time of the year, right, that's pretty long, and you know, the reality is you could probably put you know, thirty five guys on that list if you really wanted to. You know, from guys that are getting treatment at this time of year. Virtually everybody's getting treatment for something. Nobody is just saying after practicing, yep, yep, good. I don't need a nice bag, you know, no problem. I'm gonna go in lift weights for an hour, you know, I mean most guys go in and left waights for an hour. Then after that they go to the equipment or the training room to get ice to address something on their body. It's just, you know, that's just a way of life, you know, the way it is. This is the business we've chosen, and uh, and I will say that today's ice machines. I mean back in the day, we literally we would use plastic bags with had an ice machine, and now they still have all of that. Can you reinvent ice? I mean it's ice. Well, they have these things. I mean, if you remember, like last week Trevor with the high ankle sprain, he took this machine home and slept in it at night. And it's called a game ready machine. These game ready machines, and I've used them before, are amazing. They have imagine a custom made not each player, but custom made to the to the body part. For example, let's say you needed ice your shoulder. Okay, you can actually make one. It literally is velcrode for the shoulder that covers the entirety of the shoulder. They have custom ones if quarterbacks ice and the shoulder in the arm, everything. If you wanted to get one, you can get one custom made. And what they do they attached to a body part with velcrow then a hose hooks up to them, and then the machine itself is probably about the size of a small tool box. Okay, let's say twelve inches by twelve inches by a couple feet long, or a foot and a half long, and inside of it is ice and water, and then it pumps this ice water you set the temperature range, it pumps it through this thing that's on your shoulder that's fitting tight with the velcrow, and it also inflates to give you the compression you know the old rice rest ice compression elevation. Well you're getting the ice and the compression with this one machine and it pumps it through and like Trevor, Trevor slept with that machine where it would turn on and then turn off, and then turn on and then turn off throughout the night, which I'm sure it's a very quiet, quiet hum. It's kind of a like a white noise, so it's not something that would bother you or keep you up while you were trying to sleep. But yeah, I mean these machines that they're using nowadays are are incredible. How about that?
Speaker 2: Hey, coming up in just a few moments the Doug Peterson Show, the head coach will be in the studio with us. What do you want to find out from Doug today?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think the first question you got to ask is, you know, how do you how do you fix some of those mistakes? Miscommunications that you've been having as a team, as a coaching staff, how do you go about doing that? And that's obviously the number one topic from last week going into this week. And then also how do you contend with the Lamar Jackson led Ravens. That's not an easy answer.
Speaker 2: It's a great question, and you know, not only the communication, but how do you fare if everything is communicated well against this Ravens defense. I mean, this is a group that that ranks highly as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a good football team. It's uh. I think it's at the top of the AFC for a reason. And I've got a lot of respect for John Harball. I think he's a fine coach. I mean, you're talking about a coach that's been in Baltimore for a long time. Baltimore has been i think one of the model franchisees in the National Football League. You go to from John Harball who's been there for what sixteen years now? Not long? Wow, it's his sixteenth year. Their general manager that they currently have general manager slash executive vice president Eric DaCosta. He's been with the organization for twenty eight years. In twenty eight years, He's worked with Ozzy Newsom, who was the previous general manager before DaCosta ended up took over taking over. And what's impressive is that Eric DeCosta he got promoted to the general manager seat, but Ozzy Newsom is still there. So Da Costa and Ozzy Newsom, the team of those two guys have been with that organization for twenty eight years, which is amazing to have that kind of longevity at that position, and then for a head coach to be in year sixteen is also amazing. That's it really is a model franchise in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: And think about all the changes this franchise has gone through in the later those years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's incredible. And kudos to the Ravens. They've won two Super Bowls in that time, one with Brian Billock who was there what two I think that Super Bowl was two thousand. Yeah, that was the great defense. Yeah, and that defense was really good. Yeah. And then Hardball led him to a Super Bowl in twenty twelve, I believe when the lights went out in the Superdome. Yeah, the Brother Ball rallied to win Brother Bowl.
Speaker 2: Hey, coming up next to the Doug Peterson show will hear from the head coach and Devin mccordy of NBC Sports.
Speaker 3: With us as well.
Speaker 2: It'll do it for our first hour on Jaguars Happy Hour. Thanks to Kay Stevens for joining us in studio for Jeff Logeman. I'm JP Shadick. This has been Jaguars Happy Hour.