Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noahile's joining me as always is my good palent co host Platinum Ke aka Mark. Josh will join the show later for his weekly segment, Jay Hey, Now, he's doing a little traveling for his birthday, so we already wish them happy birthday, Happy related birthday. Again, mister Harrison, we.
Speaker 1: Got a good show for you today. We're gonna talk about Jared Jones. Should they have pulled him? Should they not have pulled him? Who knows? We're gonna talk about it. We're gonna talk about Carmen Machinski as well. He's good.
Speaker 2: Some guys in the starting rotation aren't good. Should they flip spots or should they maybe just use him like a really good relief picture should be used. And then we will round out the show, as I said, with Josh Harrison's weekly segment, Jay Hey Now, but.
Speaker 1: Mark, I'll we got to start off with probably.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was a lot of interesting stuff that took place, so much a historic effort by Ryan O'Hearn, which we'll talk about later.
Speaker 1: In the show, Paul Skeen snapped a losing streak. That was big.
Speaker 2: Mitch Keller continues to struggle Carmen Macginski probably not being used correctly.
Speaker 1: Jake Meyham hit a home run. I mean, everything was going on, but yeah, yeah, probably the most interesting thing that happened, aside from maybe O'Hearn. That was pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Jared Jones became the first pitcher in Major League Baseball to throw six perfect innings, leave a game and not be the winning pitcher.
Speaker 1: Uh what?
Speaker 2: Eighteen up eighteen ninety, struck out eight batters. His velocity was, as he likes to say, fn electric.
Speaker 1: He tried his best.
Speaker 2: To avoid Don Kelly to get that you know that that yank from the game, but it happened. Mark, you're a fan, you know you're you're you're watching this with your heart on your sleeve. What were you thinking when that decision was made?
Speaker 3: Yeah, initial reaction was, what the hell are we doing? Why are we pulling this guy with a perfect game. It's like we just said, the only twenty sometimes that perfect games have been thrown. You gotta give the guy a shot, right, And then I took a minute, you know, cooled down a little bit and realized that, oh, yeah, this is a guy who is just coming back from elbow surgery not been stretched out to the length that it would have required to finish that game. He was at seventy seven pitches through six, which, yeah, that's really really good. But for Jared Jones Sanders, that's right at the upper limit. I could see the argument, maybe send him back out for one more inning, But at the same time, is it worth the risk if you know already that he's not going to go nine? I think it would have been interesting to see if this was someone else in the rotation that was perfect through six, to see how like obviously I think that wouldn't have Yeah, they would have pulled him, right, So yeah, yeah, it's just because it's scared. You don't want to hurt him. I didn't have any issue with it, but it was frustrating, especially when the very next batter comes up to the plate and picks up a hit off of Mason Montgomery. Just the icing on the cake there for that. What do you think was that the right call there?
Speaker 2: By? Don Kelly, it's the boring call. Yeah, it's not the fun call. But sometimes when you're in charge, you have to make tough decisions. I think the big takeaway I have on this decision was was he going to be going nine innings?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: And he just wasn't. So what they did was getting ahead of something.
Speaker 2: Because if you let him go back out for the seventh and he throws fifteen more pitches but still has a perfect game, then it becomes an even bigger thing. And and if you just knew, like and no scenario is Jared Jones gonna throw a hundred pitches like he just he was going to hit one hundred pitches if you let him throw three more innings. So if that's the plan, you stick to the plan. You live and die by the plan. And I hate it. I hate it, like it's boring. I want to see a perfect game. Jared Jones deserves that opportunity. But that's the type of baseball that's being played today, and especially with Jones.
Speaker 1: Two things can be true.
Speaker 2: It can be the right decision, and it also can be the frustrating and boring and you know, not old school, and like, I get why everyone's frustrated by it. And it's even more frustrating that their bullpen lost than that game, right, They also didn't score a run, so it couldn't matter, you know, And it is what it is, like Jared Jones knows going into pretty much every game how far of a leash he has, and he probably exceeded that leash.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He mentioned post game he was only supposed to go five and they let him go sick, so they'd already let him go one inning more than expected. And I really liked what Don Kelly said in the post game after about talking about justifying the decision. He said, our priority is health, winning and player accomplishments like personal accomplishments, in that order. And I think that's the right way to do it, especially because, I mean, we just saw Andy Rodriguez get hurt. We've seen Connor Griffin get hurt, we have Spencer Horwitz out, we have on Neil Cruz out. Injuries are very, very frustrating, a lot more frustrating than a missed opportunity at a perfect game. I would be livid if Jerry went out there and then his shoulder, yeah, yeah, something, I mean, way more so. And you just can't risk that with how valuable Jared Jones is to this team right now, especially with as we're going to get into here soon Mitch Keller's struggles continuing, So I go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna say, like again, it sucks. It sucks that it happened to Jared. It sucks that the way the game ended. I get it, but that's just the way it goes. Like yeah, and you know, odds are I mean odds are he wasn't a gonna finish the perfect game because just he deserves an opportunity, right, but there's only been like twenty seven of them ever, so who knows. But he deserved the opportunity. But at the end of the day, that extra workload could come back to bite him, like and everyone will say, oh, one another twenty pitches who knows?
Speaker 1: Who knows? And it could have been fine, It could have.
Speaker 2: But I'm a fan of when you have a plan, especially when you're dealing with an asset like Jared Jones, which could be so valuable.
Speaker 1: He's already dealt with injuries. Just stick to the plan. Stick to the plan.
Speaker 2: If you deviate from this plan, what other plans are you going to deviate from? And again, I don't expect a lot of the people listening to this to agree with me.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not fun.
Speaker 2: It's not fun, and it resulted in a loss. But the longer that went on and less and less, there was something in that plan that said, if he's under this amount of pitches, he can go the whole game. If that was a part of the plan, then scratch everything I've said.
Speaker 1: But I don't. I mean, they said he was only supposed to go five. They let him go further what he was supposed.
Speaker 2: To And so unless you're gonna let him keep going all the way through, regardless of pitch count or if it stays under one hundred, whatever, then none of this matters. You're just you're just pushing it back and making the moment more frustrating or awkward. And I guess, you know, maybe if he if he goes out there in the seventh and allows a single and then you go pull him, I think a lot of people would have understand or understood. But it is what it is. It's not why they lost. And I mean it's at the end of the day, it's the best Jared Jones.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say it. Yeah, it completely eclipsed how good Jared Jones looked, how efficient he was pitching the contact when he wanted to, but also getting a ton of whiffs to get those strikeouts. It just it looks like early twenty twenty four Jery Jones all over again. That dominance. That just he felt so in control of every battery that stepped in the plate. It felt like he had an advantage before even threw a pitch. So I love that. I want to see more of it, and I believe we will, so looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna take a quick break when we come back.
Speaker 2: Talking to Carmen Maginski and Mitch Keller here on Bucko Territory Cap.
Speaker 5: I've been looking for the best deals for the All Star Game tickets in Philly. Where are you going to get some tickets from?
Speaker 4: I'm going straight out to Rife Field. If Harper and Schwarber both joined the home run derby, I want to be catching the hometown guys hitting them, So I'm going out to the Rife Field kind of where I think I could get the best chance of catching one of those home runs.
Speaker 5: Maybe in the second deck. You can go on the app and you can look to see what your view is gonna because them boys are going to be launching them John's and with over thirty five million downloads, seageek is the number one rated ticketing app. There's more than seventy thousand events listed at seekek, including concerts, sports, festivals and more. And of course I have a code for y'all. You can use the code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seagek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you could use it later. Thank you to sea Geek and we'll see you at the game.
Speaker 1: All right. Mark.
Speaker 2: Mitch Keller pitched again on Thursday. He lost again on Thursday. He couldn't get to the fourth inning. It was bad, high pitch count. He's just not been effective. That's issue number one. Issue number two is they have a better starting pitcher right now than Mitch Keller. He's also their best reliever and then really not using him in either of those roles. A lot of people are frustrated with how Krmen Macjinski's season is gone, despite his numbers being pretty good. He's been one of the more effective relievers in baseball since they moved him to the bullpen. He was one of their better starting pitchers while he was in the starting rotation, but he's not being used in high leverage.
Speaker 1: Let's start there.
Speaker 2: Yep. What are your thoughts on how they've used him? I mean, do you get what they're doing? Do you have a problem with it? Let me hear what you have to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was perplexed, to put it lightly or nicely, by bringing Keller in when you're up ten to two. I didn't understand that, because, yeah, you want to eat some innings up there, But we have other relievers in the bullpen that you can burn there that start for them and go to them instead. And we saw it like if we could have gone to Karmen Maginsky maybe instead of Mason Montgomery or something, would Wednesday's game have gone any differently. And but the fact that Karmen's just not available for those kind of appearances as like your normal reliever, it's just it feels like it's hamstringing this bullpen even more, where you have a guy who's great, but you can only use him in certain spots or something. I don't. It's just very very confusing. I didn't agree with bringing him in on for the skiing start, but yeah, I mean it's bullpen management's tough. But that was a weird one for me. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean, it makes me wonder if they're like intentionally doing this so he stays stretched out, like they're not pitching them on back to back days like they don't, like if there's just an agreement, like hey, and I'm not insinuating that this is the case. I'm not reporting anything. It's just more like, you know, we all know he wants to be a starter. It seems like they're doing everything they can to keep him in starter shape, either for when they need a rotation spot to be filled or if you know, maybe they said they were gonna move him again, not reporting that, not suggesting that's reality, just kind of floating that out there, like maybe maybe that's how this got resolved and they got him to do his job. Was like it will trade you. It's just we got to get it done, and so they're trying to stretch him out, like but other than that, I don't I don't know the logic behind how they're using him. Especially like the Skis thing that if you wanted to get him out there just to get some run for him, like have him throw one inning, that's fine, but there's there's just no reason why you're not using him as a high leverage arm. He's your best right hander in the bullpen and it's not particularly close.
Speaker 1: So and if.
Speaker 2: You don't want to use him as a high leverage arm, then he should be in the bullpen, or he should be in the rotation, and Mitch Keller should be moved back to the bullpen.
Speaker 1: We're at that point where Carmon Majinsky is just.
Speaker 2: Too valuable, valuable of a player to be used in the way they're using him right now.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: And maybe they're just waiting till the All Star break to kind of reshuffle the pieces here.
Speaker 1: I would hope that that's.
Speaker 2: The case, because again, he's one of the more valuable pitchers on this staff and this reduced role.
Speaker 1: I mean, sometimes when you pitch him in Balk it makes.
Speaker 2: Sense like if he would have had him follow Jones, maybe they could have just thrown a hole exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But I don't know, it just feels like they have not really maximized what he can provide in the bullpen, and so if you're not going to use him the right way, just make him a starter because he's better than some of the guys in their rotation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look at Mitch Keller's last seven starts. He has a six point six y nine ear a, a one point sixty three whip and that's in thirty five innings pitch. He's allowed forty two hits in that stretch along with fifteen walks. It's just been tough to watch. And I think I had the exact same thought, where it's like the All Star break is coming at the perfect time, not just to get Mitch Keller right, maybe to switch up these roles and flip flop him and Carmen. I think it would benefit the team quite a bit. And I think Mitch is the kind of person and leader that he'll do whatever is best for this team willingly. I don't anticipate that being an issue. Keller just puts his head down and goes to work, So I don't think that he's gonna have a drama with like going to the B word or anything that we've seen in the past, So I mean, maybe he is. That would be quite digressing.
Speaker 1: You just got to tell someone to do it. Yeah, you know, no one wants.
Speaker 2: To be in the bullpen, but at some point you just got to do it. So I hear everything else you're saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't mean interrupt.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, No one wants to go to the bullpen.
Speaker 1: We get it. Someone's got to do it, yep, because right now you just you don't have your best people in.
Speaker 3: And Mitch Keller has a contract. He's not, you know, in arbitration. He's not having that whole concern hanging over as cloud where it's like are you a stargut pitcher or your a leief pitcher. That's probably I think money is probably the biggest reason why Carmen's so apprehensive about it. Yeah, so that's not a concern for Keller. But we'll see after the All Star Game. I don't think anything's going to really change before then.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So all right, we're gonna take another quick break when we come back. Jay Hay now our weekly segment with our shows All Star.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: All right, now, this week's jay Now segment.
Speaker 1: Want to play? Hey, what do you say?
Speaker 2: Alright?
Speaker 7: We're back with our weekly j hay Now segment. This y this week's segment is gonna actually highlight two players, and more specifically Ryan O'Hearn and Paul Skeins.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: First things first, Ryan O'Hearn, big ups to you. Record for RBIs in the game that was big time, three homers. One was a grand slam. Kind of hard to not highlight him with the hay Now segment. And all of that also came on Paul Skeen's start day, which the other day Noah said was important to win his two stars before the All Star break. So that first win is notched under the belt behind you know, a nice effort behind, but between Paul and uh Ryan O'Hearn himself. So uh, my weekly Jay hay Now segment highlights those two guys. And to finish that off last thing would be Sunday, Paul wanning a second start against the Brewers. You got a good chance of finishing home stand three and three according to know if we go when his two starts. So we got one under the belt thanks to Ron o'dhearn, thanks to Paul Skeins. So this week's Jay hay Now segment, big ups to Paul Skins and big ups to Ryan O'Hearn and the rest of the offense that also chipped in throughout this series and this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with what he said.
Speaker 2: Just to build off of two things though, hearn thing, I just want to make a quick point that we could talk more about skins.
Speaker 1: O'Hearn's been such a slam dun signing.
Speaker 2: And while yes, the value there is obviously what Ryan O'Hearn's providing at the plate, you know, overall in the clubhouse, I think another big win for the Pirates is that Ryan O'Hearn's success in Pittsburgh shows other free agents, hey, you can come here and play well, because we hadn't seen that from a lot of free agents.
Speaker 1: Most of the people who came here, they signed here and they got.
Speaker 3: Worse starting picture. That's like a veteran Yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: So that could be a big win.
Speaker 2: I mean, they still have to pay quality talent. They have to They made obviously a really big effort to get O'Hearn, But.
Speaker 1: That's such a win. And even in.
Speaker 3: The fact that he's going to be in the fact that he's going to be on this roster as well next year, I mean that's further encouragement to free agents saying, hey, you have protection in this lineup. Now you can succeed here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know they're still not going to be able to go out and get the one Soto's and the Choo Tawny's. But players of Ryan O'Hearn's caliber are proven now to be a in the Pirates price range, and b makes sense to come here now. So that should be the the ale of the grocery shore or store where the Pirates are shopping from here on out. The last thing that he mentioned though, with schemes, solid effort from him, got to see it again Sunday.
Speaker 1: Like I said the last time, biggest start of.
Speaker 2: The year, he'd going keep going go to and oh head into the All Star Break with so momentum be eight and eight on the season, have.
Speaker 1: An ERA a little lower. Just just beat the Brewers, man, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Even if that's the only game they win in this weekend series. If you end the first half with a Paul Skeins gem against the Milwaukee Brewers heading into the All Star Break, people are still gonna believe in this.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: If people see Paul Skens looking like Paul Skins again, trending to beat Paul Skins again, even if they're a game under five hundred, there's still a reason to believe that they've got a shot if that guy is still that guy. So that's all I have to say, Mark anything to add.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just whyt to reiterate how awesome of a signing Ryan or Hernez, and just also mention that nice to see good old Paul Skins back to the dominant self that we've seen. I just I really really desperately want him to just dominate the Brewers. Make Jacob Mazerowski look like basically what you did last year, you know, like, why is this kid in the All Star game? Even and with the bats lining up it was nice last screen start we had, you know, the ten runs from O'Hearn obviously, but just please please offense if Skeens does throw a gem, like, I need to see some runs because that Jerry Jones perfect Game into no run support was extremely frustrating, So capitalize on it. And yeah, it's a massive, massive series.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what's also massive is hitting that subscribe button. If you haven't already, we need your help to get the three thousand subs. We are quickly approaching there as we continue doing this show. Also check out the Bucko Territory Team store another week of Bucko terry Buco Territory in the books, and we've got a whole bunch of stuff to wear and support the show. Four our all Star Josh Harrison and Platinum Key a k A.
Speaker 4: Mark.
Speaker 2: I'm Noah Hayles signing off saying thanks for tuning into another week of Buffalo Territory presented to you by the Foul Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care,