Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Course.
Speaker 2: At the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Dot Tinsondown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Nick Harris and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: Well, welcome into another edition of Talking Cowboys featuring myself, Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, and Patrick Nosey Walker. I'm Hailey Sutton in for Kyle Yeomans one final time as he wraps up his honeymoon celebration.
Speaker 5: Nobo, we got a boogie celebration, sing around the last Man from Seattle, and I never even had the money to go to the Last so I'll try.
Speaker 6: What kind of money is this boy make around here?
Speaker 7: I know I need picks, Kyle, I know you're listening. I need picks. I need videos because I've not yet had the pleasure to go to Alaska, but I know for a fact that it's one of the most beautiful places on earth, So congratulations on that. But I need I need to live vicariously through him like I did you through you in Mexico with the whales and yeah, you guys have.
Speaker 6: Nice vacation.
Speaker 8: Mexico.
Speaker 6: I drive to the Star from my vacation. Vacation, I getting nick.
Speaker 8: You know, yea, yeah exactly, just come back. No trip. Weren't you just in Seattle?
Speaker 2: Like for.
Speaker 5: I wish, I wish I got to go somewhere. I don't get to go anywhere. You see my summer, I try to look forward. This would be the only week that my family and I can actually travel anywhere, Like.
Speaker 6: This is the only one week that we have because of the track. My kids are in.
Speaker 7: Track, so one of the best sports. Yeah, every just considered your whole summer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's so oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I used to hate running summer track. It was like the bane of my existence.
Speaker 8: But anyways, we move on. What did I run? What do you think I ran?
Speaker 6: No, I'm not going to guess. It's like guessing somebody's Yeah, you don't guess what a vincedbody.
Speaker 4: I was a sprinter, So I ran the one, the two, the eight hundred. That's not a sprint, I know, but that's what I was going to say. It wasn't my choice. My coach made me run the eight hundred.
Speaker 6: She said, she ran the one, so yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Ran the one.
Speaker 6: The two eight hundred is a sprint for some people, which I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Their loans are because I played soccer, and so it was a good.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then actually I was a very good long jumper triple jumper, so yeah, I actually real quick.
Speaker 8: Flex.
Speaker 4: I learned how to triple jump the day of my first ever track meet in the eighth grade, and I never lost flat this morning, guys, a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of a flex I like it. I like it a lot.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get into some cowboys conversations today. A lot of news how happening around the league. But the biggest that we actually discussed yesterday at lunch Patrick is the new quarterback rule that has been enlisted for the NFL in this upcoming season. I'm going to let you dive into the details of it, but real quick, just here's the skinny on what that looks like. So essentially, the NFL is allowing rosters to add a third quarterback onto their game day roster as long.
Speaker 8: As that player is on the fifty three.
Speaker 4: And the best part about it is it doesn't affect your inactives. It doesn't affect your roster cap in terms of a fifty three man roster of forty five man game day roster. There are some caveats to it that third quarterback cannot play in a game until the first and second string quarterbacks have gone out, but obviously a lot of flexibility in terms of what teams can do with that role.
Speaker 8: Specifically the Cowboys who have three quarterbacks on their roster this year.
Speaker 4: Patrick kind of just dive into what that looks like for this team and what it's going to kind of look like.
Speaker 8: For the NFL.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, that sound you hear is Will Grier smiling hear to hear, because this rule basically guarantees that, you know, assuming he remains the third quarterback on the team, it basically guarantees he gets to suit up every single week. Now, as you said, Haley, he doesn't get to play unless both QB one Dak Prescott and Cooper Rosh QB two are injured in that particular game, and then he gets to go in. But once they're medically cleared, which is another caveat, once they're medically cleared, if they're medically cleared to return to that game, he has to come back out of the game.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of the dance there.
Speaker 7: But the beauty of it is for the Cowboys is they will never be in a situation like we saw the forty nine ers in in the NFC Championship against the Philadelphia Eagles when Christian McCaffrey was taken warm up reps possibly about to go in at QB.
Speaker 6: So that's what that rule is.
Speaker 7: We can kind of dub it the Christian McCaffrey room, right, But you gotta love it because it also means that the Cowboys neither you know, know, any of the other thirty one teams have to burn a roster spot. It's more or less a roster exemption specific for QB three on a week to week basis. So like you said, Haley, number one is they have to make the active fifty three man roster and final cutdowns. You cannot stash the QB on the practice squad because anyone that's elevated in any given week is not eligible to be designated as your emergency QB, and they have to make that designation the same time they make the inactives known, which is ninety minutes, no later than ninety minutes probably to kickoff. So those are the key things. But for Will Greer, who is still going to compete with Cooper Rush. I know Cooper Rush's resigning strongly implies that he's going to be the QB two. But we're not going to sit here and say there's not going to be.
Speaker 6: A battle there.
Speaker 7: Will Greer arguably took the lead in that battle last summer before he suffered the growing injury. I look forward to that battle happening again in training camp in July. But I mean, it's a fantastic rule all around. Can't say the same about the other rule that was approved yesterday. And I was tossing the Carris for that one. Yeah, but I guess you get a win, but you got to take a loss as well if you're an NFL fan, And so the loss is the Thursday night flexs rule.
Speaker 6: I'll let Harris dive in that one. Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 10: At the owner's meetings yesterday, the NFL also approved Thursday night football flex scheduling, which basically allows the NFL twenty eight days before so you have to have a twenty eight day notice four weeks to move a Thursday night football game to Sunday and then move a Sunday afternoon game to Thursday night. There's a lot of different stipulations that they would have to meet. It can only be in week thirteen through seventeen because there's not a Thursday night football game in week eighteen. A team can't be on the road two times on a Thursday night game, and they still can only have two Thursday night games. So it's a slim chance that anything even happens with the flex Thursday night football scheduling. But let's say you are a Jets fan and y'all are playing in Denver in week seventeen, and you have just always wanted to go to Mile High on a Thursday night and you find out twenty eight days before that it's going to be Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 6: You got to change all of.
Speaker 10: Your scheduling, you got to move your flights around, movie tickets around. And that's why eight voters voted against it. The Cowboys did vote for it. Twenty four to eight was the final count, and twenty four is the minimum allowed to pass a rule, and it passed barely. But it's there's some fans that are very upset about it. Giants owner is very upset about it. It looks like Isaiah stand back to my right is upset about it here leg well as well.
Speaker 7: It's unfortunate for the fame, say with you to me, and to be honest with you, that that aspect really doesn't bother me that much. The whole Thursday night flex thing, it doesn't affect Dallas, right, Dallas already has two Thursday night game scheduled.
Speaker 6: Correct, So we got obviously is one of those things.
Speaker 8: Well they do. It's not Thursday night Thursday, okay, gotcha?
Speaker 5: Okay, So yeah, I mean it is whatever to me as a player, you don't like Thursday night games.
Speaker 6: Let's just call it how it is.
Speaker 5: You hate Thursday night games because your body literally just recovered the day before from the previous week. So after the player's perspective, it absolutely sucks. But let's be honest, this league is not forward facing in terms of taking care of the players.
Speaker 6: This is about the money in the pockets of the owner.
Speaker 5: So knowing that that's the fact, you shrugg your shoulder and you say, okay, there's just another thing that helps them put more money in their pocket. The third quarterback thing. I'm looking forward to that and how coaches and organizations work around that rule. Because now all of a sudden, it's like, oh my knee hurts. Okay, come on in here for this next quarter real quick.
Speaker 6: I feel like you're hinting at some Bill BELICHICKI is.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, there's always a workaround. Okay, there's always a work around. So I am looking more forward to that third quarterback and how organization is determined.
Speaker 6: To go forward with that.
Speaker 5: You know how it's going to go. So my gosh, I sprained my big topic. Let me go get it scanned real quick, right, And so it starts.
Speaker 7: Open, the backup quarterback starts oerver five and then suddenly historic starts to miracle.
Speaker 6: I don't feel, well.
Speaker 7: That's what I'm interested in. But the whole, the whole flex thing, it is what it is. I mean, it's I'm not surprised.
Speaker 6: It doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing about the Thursday night game, so that we found and I don't know if this was just by chance last season because it was new, it was Amazon Prime, it was a new group of people trying to get it together.
Speaker 8: So I think the production as a.
Speaker 4: Whole will be better this year now that they've got it under, they've got a season under their belt, they've been developing. So that was a big issue with Thursday Night Football last year. And then the second issue with Thursday Night Football is I'm going to say seventy seven percent of the matchups that we saw on Thursday Night.
Speaker 8: Football last year were awful.
Speaker 4: And the one that comes to mind it was the Broncos and the was it the Rams that went to like double overtime and it was like six to three.
Speaker 7: That was the one. It was in Denver, it was and it was just visible football.
Speaker 4: It was horrible from top to bottom. And I feel like every every single week it just kind of.
Speaker 8: Went to that.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if that was just like a scheduling issue. Hopefully they'll get that worked out. But to your point, Isaiah, the Cowboys aren't really affected in that way because they're not going to flex their Thanksgiving game and then they're not going to flex the following Thursday Night game that next week. So good to know for other teams going forward. I don't think it affects this team. What I do want to circle back to, though, is the third quarterback roster spot because something that I was kind of into yesterday. I didn't know a ton about Will Greer. I came and he had already kind of been established, and so I didn't really get an opportunity to get to know him or know anything about him, And so I kind of want to default.
Speaker 8: To you guys here.
Speaker 4: This is a guy who has been in the league for a couple of years now. You mentioned Cooper Rush just signed the two year extension, so he's likely the backup quarterback. But Will greed to me is interesting because his college tape and how he played it as a collegiate athlete is so much different from his NFL experience. He doesn't have a ton and when he did, the reps necessarily weren't there.
Speaker 8: But I wonder how happy he.
Speaker 4: Is in the place that he is right now, sitting at that third quarterback spot. Is he competitive? Does he want that backup quarterback role.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Things to dive into when it comes to Will Greer, So I kind of just want to open this up to you guys in terms of value. When you look at Will Grear as a quarterback on this roster, where do we see his value? You mentioned seeing him compete for Cooper Rush at training camp. Is that something that we're expected to see again? I mean, like realistically, how realistic is it for the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Central that's to hear the former quarterbacks. I think I think the window closed for him unfortunately. I think last year, last camp was his opportunity, and unfortunately when he got hurt, that window dwindled.
Speaker 6: That killed his reps.
Speaker 7: Right, It really came down to the third preseason game that he had an opportunity, and that was a quick He didn't have the greatest of showings in that sort and that short stint, so that was that was I want to say it's predetermined, but it was determined relatively quickly in that third game that okay, you're now our third string. Cooper Rush had the opportunities, he took advantage of the opportunities, and now he took care of business, went called upon last year as well during the regular season. So because of that clap, bravo, and now all of a sudden he gets a contract extension. He is now solidified as your backup quarterback.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately for will Will Greer, he has some things he still needs to work on. Last year was his shot. Okay, this preseason he will have another opportunity. But you were trying out not only for your third string of your current team, but you're trying out for if you were to get cut, which I don't foresee that happening now, but if you were to get cut for whatever reason, you're trying out for the rest of the NFL and hopefully try to earn a backup role. He to me, is a very good competitor. He also, to me, has a lot of work to do as a quarterback. He's a gun slinger. I personally don't like his release point. I don't like his decision making some of the things that I saw during camp last year. It just doesn't seem like he values the possession of the ball as much as you would like for somebody in that particular quarterback role. But I don't know what has happened since then. I'm looking forward to seeing his development here in this camp.
Speaker 7: I'll say this when it comes to world career, first and foremost, as you stated, he needs more development and that's obvious, which is why he's quarterback three on an NFL team.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: I will also say this, he's good enough to play at this level, which is why he's quarterback on an NFL team. So for him, it's just about trying to pry open that window, because the window was wide open for him last offseason. I sat there in summer camp, summer camp and training camp during the.
Speaker 8: Summer, this.
Speaker 6: One time at band camp.
Speaker 7: So I sat there in training camp in July and Oxnard, and I saw that most of the big plays that were being made, whether it was you know, the one hand to catch from TJ Vasher, whether it was big plays being made by Simmi Fojoko. If you after those plays, if you looked to see who was under center, more often than not, it was Will Greer.
Speaker 6: It wasn't Cooper Rush.
Speaker 7: As far as running with the second team, so Will Griar took a massive Kentucky Derby style lead over Cooper Rush. But then the injury and the time timing is everything. It can work against you or can blow up in your face. The timing of his injury was such that the Cowboys didn't have time to get more game reps in from him post injury before Dak Prescott went down with injury, so they had to sit back and make a decision, split decision. It came down to Cooper Rush and then Cooper Rush took it. You know, he did four and one, he earned the spot, but I was go ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his opportunity was that Denver practices and the fact that he couldn't practice.
Speaker 7: I remember we were calling that practice. The fact that he could not practice day. It was a wrap that day. It was also very hot that day. Where there's a different milter. But I will say he has an opportunity still to I will disagree in that It's okay, it's shut, but it's not painted shut. Let me put it that way. The window can still be open. Because even with a two year deal on Cooper Rush, if you look at it contractually, the Cowboys are not going to move on from Cooper Rush this year, but they have an out next year. So Will Greer can come into training camp and regain his stride he had last year. At least he puts in the Cowboys head. Combined with the new rule that basically gives them carte blanche to carry him without sacrificing a roster spot, he can.
Speaker 6: Put in their head.
Speaker 7: Well, maybe twenty twenty four is the year of Will Gear being QB two because at that point, if you want to make that move, you can do so move on from Cooper Rush and not take a dead money hit.
Speaker 6: So that's in the conversation as well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and at the quarterback position, momentum and timing is half the battle, especially when you're in the depth of a quarterback roster and you know, trying to earn some snaps. Especially in will Greer's case here, momentum and timing didn't quite work in his favor last year. You know, he would have had an opportunity to be a backup quarterback or you know, potentially get some snaps whenever Dak went down, but you know he wasn't able to be there for that. So can't he regain that momentum timing? Absolutely, It's it's it's always a possibility. Like you said, the door is not painted shut. But you know, we're we're getting the we're getting the Sherwin Williams out.
Speaker 4: I just wonder though, you know, and it's hard because we haven't had a chance to talk to these guys in so long, but I just wonder what his mentality is going into this, because you know, the joke, for lack of better term, is that being a backup quarterback is the best spot on an NFL roster because you get paid and you don't have to do as much work unless your name is called.
Speaker 8: And so I just wonder from that aspect when it comes to.
Speaker 4: Will Greer, you know what his mentality as I know you mentioned he's a competitor, but like how competitive is he really?
Speaker 8: Is he really being? And I think OTAs this week gives us a good opportunity.
Speaker 7: I think he's he's a huge competitor, and his fires were stoked as he had to sit on the sideline and nurse that injury. And you hate knowing that you have the lead to take this particular position from an incumbent and then the injury kind of derails it. So he's had to sit for the most of the season on the inactives and trying to figure things out. He's been kind of champing at the bit to get this opportunity, and this new rule allows the Cowboys to carry him without sacrificing the spot. So he has to look at it as just that an opportunity. It might be your final one with this organization, but that should add that much more fire to his motivation to say, hey, it's it's quite literally now, Will never his mindset going into OTA's and then obviously following the break going into training camp has to be to disrupt the order of the back of the ORDA. You understand, as a player, my opportunity's probably gone. You understand that that's not to say that the door's closed. Okay, but it's a little bit of a debo crack in the window. Okay, So it's a little bit of crack get your pickernails under their Okay, but you understand, Okay, contractually they're committed to this guy.
Speaker 6: I missed my window last year. Okay.
Speaker 5: Now I can either be content, right and just kind of chill and just kind of just know that they're probably not now there's new rule enables me to remain on the roster, or you can say, you know what, I'm about to make life.
Speaker 6: You know, living hell for for for career, you know.
Speaker 5: And I want to make them have to make a decision, and if so much so, where they're going to have to figure out when when the season comes, who's number two that day? Ye right, maybe it's a maybe it's a situational thing based upon your opponent, right, but I want them to have to make that decision. That's the competitor mindset that he now has to have going into this camp. Hey, you're my boy, but I promise you if you slip up and have a bad day, oh I'm bail, mister post man.
Speaker 7: Which is how he was in training camp last it was in July. He was exactly that every single day. He and Cooper Russian Dek Prescott. That is a very very tight knit quarterback room. But when it's time to compete and it's you're competing for snaps and reps and contract and et cetera, et cetera, he was as competitive as anyone else you would have seen on that field. And what I'll say about his skill set is Will Greer has to know and I'm sure he does know. These are an apple and an orange. When it comes to Cooper Rush versus Will Grill, Will Greer is much more of a a raw version of Dak Prescott.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: He has mobility, He has the big arm, he's the gun slinger. He takes risks. Cooper Rush doesn't have a ton of mobility. He has some, but not not the same. Right, he doesn't have the he does like.
Speaker 8: You know exactly what you're gonna get out of He doesn't.
Speaker 6: Have you ready.
Speaker 7: And the last thing Cooper Rush does is take a risk, right, That's the last thing he does. He is a game manager, not saying that in a bad way, because you can win, you have.
Speaker 6: The absolutely he is. Cooper Rush is smooth jazz and little John.
Speaker 7: You just don't you just don't know what you're gonna get, you know, just turn up so you say the good with the bads to your point. But right now, not only he has, the only way he's gonna be able to disrupt that room is by getting knit tight with his receivers. He the second string and third stream receivers have to be his best friends. They got to be playing Maden at his house, right, you know, they have to be going to the moves. They got to be going bowling, They got to be playing putt putt golf. They gotta be doing everything together.
Speaker 5: Those have to be his dogs because not only starting here in OTAs, all the way through training camp, those are gonna be the guys he's taking reps with.
Speaker 6: And then if you're blessing, you're absolutely killing it.
Speaker 7: Guess what, then you get to throw the CD right, then you get that through that you know what you're saying, then you get to throw that, you get to throw to the dog on boomerang.
Speaker 6: You know all these guys, you got to work your way up to it.
Speaker 7: So he needs to build this community and so that those guys have a trust factor with him. And I think we saw that last camp. We saw that last camp where the guys were had a little bit more juice when Will was under center and they wanted to make the big play when Will was under centre, and SEMMI that connection absolutely.
Speaker 5: So that's the only way that I can see him overshadowing what Cooper Rush is. And now in order to do that, you're gonna those amazing players are gonna have to be absolutely amazing.
Speaker 7: Your lolls cannot be. You can't make bad decision makers, exactly.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, good conversation there. Obviously ota started yesterday. We're going to get into that on the other side of this break. Let's go ahead and take it here on talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule. Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again. Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee Club today.
Speaker 13: Once he uses the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys The Jack Black Playmaker tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 14: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 6: Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 14: I just thought you should know. I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 6: Have you vote this way a long time?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 14: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 6: If you feel that way, I think you should try it. Babe.
Speaker 8: It's amazing.
Speaker 14: I mean, you're amazing too.
Speaker 5: Nude Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. I'm super excited about this, y'all. Spanish soccer giants Real Madrid and FC Barcelona meet in Texas.
Speaker 8: Hey for the first time ever.
Speaker 4: At at and T Stadium as a leg of the twenty twenty three Soccer Champions Tour. Don't miss your chance to see these storied rivals in action at AT and T Stadium on July twenty ninth to twenty twenty three.
Speaker 8: Tickets are now on sale.
Speaker 4: At seat dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium. I am honestly devastated that I have to miss that because that will be.
Speaker 8: At training camp. You will, yeah, we'll be it.
Speaker 6: Well, we'll be watching it. We'll be watching and I will, so y'all.
Speaker 8: Don't mind if I dib out for a day to come to that.
Speaker 6: Because the pj's a That's an.
Speaker 8: Incredible soccer matchup. I I know.
Speaker 4: I've seen Barcelona play once. It was when I was in Miami and they played Inner Miami, and it was when they first signed Robert Lewandowski, who's like one of the best strikers in the world. So it was like our first opportunity to see him in a Barcelona jersey and.
Speaker 8: They wrecked Inner Miami. But it was cool to see everybody there.
Speaker 7: That's pretty level, pretty big deal because levels in soccer, right, No, I know, that's the hard that is the hardest sport to stand out in, hands down.
Speaker 8: And what's difficult.
Speaker 4: What's difficult about it too is especially when you get to like the Premier League, La Liga, the Italian League, all of these leagues, you have these players who are so solidified in their spots. There's not really any rotation, so kind of like Will Greer, like, you know, you get your opportunities and they disappeared. Really, your only opportunities you get in soccer is garbage time minutes, so you're talking the last ten minutes of a game, plus stoppage time, injury, so maybe you come in after an injury.
Speaker 8: And with soccer it's so you know.
Speaker 4: Like results driven that if you get in as a sub and you do nothing, like that's it.
Speaker 6: You just know the guy.
Speaker 8: That's it, cold world, you don't make the fifty. Let me get off my soccer soapboxes. I could be here all day.
Speaker 4: Let's transition into organized team activities. They started yesterday OTAs a lot of new faces in the building, mixing with those veterans who are finally coming back and you know, getting back.
Speaker 8: Into the groove of things.
Speaker 4: It was nice to see the rookies kind of get their feet wet I mentioned this last week. It's so fun just to see them, you know, like walk around the building with their eyes open and they just don't know where to go are they're trying to find their meeting or the lunch table. But that kind of goes away this week. Now they're into big boy football. They're competing with the guys who are their veterans, their superiors.
Speaker 8: What are some things that we're looking for out of this week.
Speaker 4: I know we will get a chance to talk with them on Thursday at OTAs at the media availability, but just this week, what are some things that we're looking for in this roster in terms of developing for training camp?
Speaker 6: For me?
Speaker 7: And I'll take this away from the rookies and I'll go with the obvious and the not so obvious. Obviously, I'm ready to see Mazzie Smith.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: Now keep in mind, I mean there will be some seven on sevens now on nine eleven on elevens, but no contact is allowed, ladies and gentlemen, So keep that in mind. So you're not gonna We're not going to see Mozzi Smith out there trying to bulldoze through anyone. But I'm interested to see how quickly he can refine his already stellar technique to take the next step at the NFL. I'm looking to see his interactions with some of these veterans. I'm looking to see other than OsO O'diggy Zoo and Michael Parsons and Jonathan Hankins, you know who, he's building instant relationships in chemistry with across that defensive line and in the linebacker course, So I'm looking.
Speaker 6: For that as well.
Speaker 7: We spoke with Mazzi on minute one day one, and the entirety of that day he just kept displying, displaying his hunger to get on the field. Yeah, now he's going to be on the field with the with the veterans, so let's see how that goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I loved how anytime you asked Mozzi, and even this was when we got to talk to him at rookie camp, anytime you asked him like how good does it feel to be here, every single time his response was I'm not getting too excited.
Speaker 8: I'm just ready to go. Every time.
Speaker 4: There was never any even when we were given the tour around the building, he was as even keel as he could have possibly been.
Speaker 8: He was excited. He's like, Nah, I'm just I'm just ready to play ball, Like that's it.
Speaker 6: Best, sinister Grin.
Speaker 8: That to me is what a competitor looks like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's my obvious because you know, first round pick a lot comes with that, and everybody's gonna have all odds on him. But then my not so obvious is I'm so intrigued. But I mean I'm intrigued by several of these rookies assu him. You know Villiami, for example, A huge fan of Williami's motor and his his aptitude for football violence. But Eric Scott I can't shake the the way Will McClay lights up when talking about this young man to the point where, yes, I've seen the film and I've seen the good and the bad, and the good is he can take the ball away. You talk about his two pick sixes in twenty twenty two. He has potential, he has the ceiling, but then he also needs development. He's raw as well, and I want to see how quickly he can develop under guys like Al Harrison obviously Dan Quinn.
Speaker 6: But I'm interested to.
Speaker 7: See what Will mccley, What McClay saw through Will mcclay's eyes that sat back that had him sit back and say, Jerry, we need to trade a twenty twenty four pick to move up to one seventy eight for this kid. So I know he's much faster than that four seven to two on a tweet squad. He's he has the prototypical length as far as what Dan Quinn likes to see in defensive backs. But something about Eric Scott just kind of it makes me intrigued enough to say, Hey, when I'm out there looking at the Deuce Vongs on offense, when I'm out there looking at the first round pick Mazzie Smith on defense, I'm also trying to figure out where Eric Scott is because I'm also interested to see how he can try to carve his way into a defensive back rotation that's already seemingly locked up in the top four spots.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so what I'm looking for for Otia specifically is interior offensive line. Yeah, who's getting those reps, who's coming in, who's the coaching staff?
Speaker 6: Langer trust.
Speaker 10: Last week, Stephen Jones, we were able to talk to him at an availability and he really talked up Chumulidoga, So you know, that's a guy I want to see out there for the first time, and you know, see.
Speaker 6: How he's going people I forgotten people.
Speaker 10: He mentioned probably three or four times, so uh, you know, that's definitely something to look out for. And then also there's a narrative going around that Stefan Gilmour isn't he's washed.
Speaker 8: Right, that's a narrative since they signed him.
Speaker 10: Exactly exactly, so if you sign Yeah, they.
Speaker 4: Said the same thing about t Y Hilton when they added Ye Linton, and he proved his value almost immediately.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 10: But if Stefan Gilmore can even bring eighty five percent of what his his peak has been or even ninety whatever, we're looking at a defense that can take away the boundary and work completely between the hashes.
Speaker 6: And you know that's that's.
Speaker 10: That's what you want if your dan Quinn, because you've got guys in the draft that can operate between the between.
Speaker 7: The hashes, funnel him into the moon and l V and a little bit of overshown. That's rom like, don I'm looking at the chemistry.
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's only so much you're going to see in Ota, So I mean I don't want to temper.
Speaker 6: Because it's install right, Yeah, it's installed.
Speaker 5: So you're looking for how fast can these rookies really digest information and then apply it, and then what is their comfort level within that right, So whether that be at the second level with overshowing it on defense, or whether that be at the receiver position, right, how are these guys taking information that they're receiving and then obviously being able to apply it with the level of comfort that they can start applying their confidence as players, There's a difference between being a confident player and being a confident player within a system.
Speaker 6: And whenever there.
Speaker 5: Is that divisive line that's separating those two, you don't get the player that you expect. So the faster that they can, they can come in and learn and get adapted to their environment and feel comfortable within their system.
Speaker 6: Right, learn the offense, learn the defense.
Speaker 7: Then I can start playing and using my assets as the player that I you guys know me to be on film and you I'll start showing that on the field. But until those two things mesh, I'm gonna be a shadow of who you guys think I'm going to be. But there's there's one more thing, and this is I'll segue this too. A conversation that you and I had offline yesterday, duce Vaughan, this is going to be as they're starting to do some installs, this is going to be the first real look we get at what might hint at duce Vaughn's role on special teams. Because speaking of narratives, there is a narrative out there outside of the building that says, oh, well, duce is going to come in and challenge Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 6: For one or both of the returns.
Speaker 8: I want two part returners, just saying to me, I'm people, You're people.
Speaker 6: I'm that guy that's don't me to be Bones Fossil.
Speaker 8: I have two returners back now.
Speaker 7: But in speaking, but if you listen to what Bones is saying, at least right now as we have this conversation, that's not how Bones is looking at duce Von. So he's looking at duce Van as potentially a personal protector, like these are Bones Fossils words right, So to me, number one, first and foremost, Cavante Turpin has not only not done anything to lose the job, He's coming off of a Pro Bowl season as a rookie in which he entered this season and training camp having not had a break from a usf USFL MVP season. So you have to put all of that contextually and say this guy didn't have didn't take a breather, and he was still a pro bowler. You don't then come into the next season and say, oh, well, you know we drafted this rookie, so now it's a comp It's not a competition at returner, now, can it be? Yes, Deuce can make it one if Duke gets out there beginning in OTAs and then mini camp and training camp, and because he's going to get some reps as a returner, hunt and kick, so Fossil can kind of gauge it because at worst you have him as insurance back there.
Speaker 6: But outright it's not a competition.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And there's not as much context I think as some people may believe when it comes to Deuce Funn seven kick returns for one hundred and forty five yards as a freshman Kansas State.
Speaker 6: And that's it science, you know, not a ton of contexts.
Speaker 10: That being said, his trades, his mobility, you can throw him back there. He was getting some work in rookie mini camp, like you said, is he gonna get some reps?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 10: But Cavante Turpin is coming off a USFL MVP and a Pro Bowl appearance.
Speaker 8: Let me ask you, let me ask, And this is not like a dig at Cavante.
Speaker 4: I think that he brings this very special, you know, skill set to this roster. In terms of versatility, That's been the conversation since the end of last year, beginning even in the beginning of the season. This team's identity has been versatility. What can I get out of you and you and how can I mix this around and do that? So in terms of versatility, what does Cavante Turpin bring you? And again I'm not dogging him. I think he's a fantastic returner. You could feel the energy every single time there was a kick or a punt at at and T Stadium last year, and I imagine it was the same.
Speaker 8: On the road, the press box and so yeah, and so I.
Speaker 4: Just think in terms of what they can offer Deuce Vaughn and I get it, like he's small, he's a rookie. We have a lot of expectations, We're putting a lot of pressure on him.
Speaker 8: But when you just look at it on paper.
Speaker 4: Like they were not allowing Cavante to be a part of the offer. Last year, for whatever their reason was, he was not involved in the offense in terms of getting in on snaps, catching passes. The one time we really got to see him was when he got lit up in the forty nine Ers game in the last play of that game. So he's not involved in the offense. I don't know if that change is going into this year. But then when you look at what Deuce Vaughan can offer. He can return, he can do punts. I imagine he's getting several reps at that. He can catch it out of the backfield.
Speaker 8: He's fast, he's a strong runner.
Speaker 6: I just see what you're doing there. I see what you're doing, pick what you're putting. I'm picking up what you're putting in.
Speaker 5: I think they both have equally equally have the same versatility. The difference is last year they asked one thing.
Speaker 6: Of turbine corrects.
Speaker 5: Matter of fact, that's all he had to worry about. Come in and be the dynamic returner that we need you to be. We don't need you to play receiver. We need a return man and you better be electrifying.
Speaker 7: And I was blessed to be able to call that game where he went back to back right. So that was absolutely amazing. That's all he had to do, That's not all he could do. Right, So what you're demanded to do and what you're capable of doing two separate things. Right, he checked the box that they asked him to check. Now he has a full off season, now he has that spot solidified.
Speaker 8: But did you see him, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Because when we saw him last year and practicing against the Chargers, he was lighting him up in practice, absolutely lighting them up every time we turn around.
Speaker 6: Big play, big play, big play.
Speaker 7: And that was just in a little bit of a cup size that they gave him in terms of responsibilities on offense.
Speaker 5: So, now that you have a full off season, he doesn't have the the butterflies, he doesn't have those nerves running trying to figure out am I going to make the roster? There's so much stress with that. Oh my gosh, Yeah, there's so much stress with that. The fact that he was able to perform under that stress, let you know who he is and what he's capable of. That box is now checked. He could put that behind him. Now I don't have to worry about do I have a roster spot? Now my concern is how can I be a better receiver so that I could be utilized more right and I can bring more value.
Speaker 6: That's his focus. Now.
Speaker 7: Last year his focus was simply just making a dog on roster. He was happy to have an invite the camp. Listen, I'm gonna answer it this way, piggybacking off of what Isaiah is saying. The versatility is absolutely there with Cavante Turpin as much as it is with Douce Valm. It goes to, like Isaiah said, what you're being asked to do, what you're not being asked to do. So I think there are two reasons that the Cowboys scaled back and didn't allow Cavante Turpin to take many offensive reps. Number One, he was much too valuable as a returner, and they did not have an insurance policy at returner. So if you lose Cavante Turpin on inside slant from the and the seeds your backup and now CD being your number one wide receiver, the domino effect is just tragic.
Speaker 6: So that's one.
Speaker 7: Number Two, we talk about him not having a break between his MVP USFL season and joining Cowboys in training camp. So do you really want to run him into the ground like that, knowing you have a seventeen game season plus hopefully a playoff run, you have to it's load management without obviously admitting.
Speaker 6: In his load management. But here's one more thing I'll say.
Speaker 7: Standing there on the sideline day to day in training camp in Knox Snart last summer, I saw Cavante turping on offense and he's got it, okay. I saw him line up in the slot and go with the slant and come with the outs.
Speaker 6: I also saw.
Speaker 7: Him go to the boundary and take the top off on more than one occasion and come down with come down with catches that technically should only be acquired by the bigger guys, the guys with the bigger catch radius.
Speaker 6: Here's the small guy climbing the ladder.
Speaker 7: He was making the plays. So I saw it in real time. I saw the receipts, so I know what he can do. So that's why, over the course of the season when we were asking why not get him more involved? From my standpoint, it's because I saw what he can do. So going into this season full off season, he had a break, he gets to come back refreshed.
Speaker 6: I expect to see more of him on offense.
Speaker 7: Also because duce Vaughan is an insurance policy if Cavante is injured, and.
Speaker 10: From an offensive standpoint, Cavante's herpin. When he was most dangerous at TCU, it was coming out of the backfield and doing jet sweeps and whether it was lining up or motioning in, and he was super, super dangerous. I encourage everybody to go look back at that TCU tape. But I think your latter point was the most important. The load management. You know, you don't want your your Pro Bowl returner playing offense every down. So I think going into training camp, seeing how many reps he gets, and especially going into preseason where when he comes into the game from an offensive standpoint, that's going to be really important. But like the discussions we've had on here in the past, the wide receiver four conversation is going to be very interesting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess that's where my mentality is like going into Like you said, I get the load management, and I'm not saying he's not capable of doing those things. He's perfectly capable. He's MVP for a reason, regardless of the league.
Speaker 8: I just worry it's a crowded wide receiver room.
Speaker 4: I worry that, you know, maybe that is his role where he stays at being a returner, and that's what he's really good out for the entirety of his career. So definitely something to pay attention to for OTAs we are running tight on time, so let's go ahead and take our second and final break here and talking cow boys.
Speaker 8: We'll come back and.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about this roster a little bit more. We'll tie some loose ends and send the show on the road.
Speaker 9: We'll be right back.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com. Slash five g for you for details.
Speaker 12: Black Rifle Coffee Company serves premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football, So it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team. Go online Alackriflecoffee dot Com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. That's Black Rifle Coffee dot Com to fuel up today.
Speaker 14: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 6: Of course? What's up? Well?
Speaker 14: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 6: Who have you rote this way a long time?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 14: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 7: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe.
Speaker 8: It's amazing.
Speaker 14: I mean you're amazing too.
Speaker 5: Nude Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 13: Once you use the cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official Men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites for just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 6: The Playmaker includes four Jack.
Speaker 13: Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get you Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker, tim Bucks, free shipping.
Speaker 2: Bad to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to our final few minutes here on Talking Cowboys. T Up your game in style with Dallas Cowboys Nike golf gear, score polos and accessories at the nearest pro shop or online at Shop dot Dallas dot com a fanatics experience. Well, gentlemen, we were going to wrap up because the NFL listed the Cowboys as the top five most complete roster and that's what I wanted to talk about to wrap up the show.
Speaker 8: But in the break we got a little bit of breaking news.
Speaker 4: For lack of better terms, I'm going to go over to Nick and Nick you can explain the new rule that NFL teams will see this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 10: NFL owners once again and acting a role that will cause some controversy. The NFL owners this morning approved the resolution putting the ball on the twenty five yard line following a fair catch on a kickoff. A note that special team coordinators around the league unanimously opposed the change.
Speaker 6: But it is is happening. So what's that smell? Is that that? Oh, that's trash. That's right, trash, trash. We just finished talking about. This is how I feel so bad.
Speaker 7: We just spoken the second segment about Cavante Turpin induced Voln's potential value as returners. Here comes the NFL completely just kneecapping that whole conversation, not only for Terping, but just returners around the league. Because you're basically you're rewarding fair catches, you're rewarding you know, touchbacks because you're doing all you can to incrementally and now you're picking up the pace, but incrementally, just abolish kick returns. Ultimately, that's what the NFL is leading towards abolishing kick returns. So now, if I'm Kavante Turpin, where are my offensive reps? Give me my offensive because I'm clearly not going to be able to see as much action on special team, So give me my give me my shots a receiver.
Speaker 10: And I think something that's interesting that's happened in the college game with this role, as if you wave the fair catch and let's say you're on the two yard line and you muffet and pick it up at the three, you're still down at the three, you can advance it and you have to start your offensive drive at the three yard line. So that's gonna come into play at some point this season with some team, and that's gonna be that's gonna be the one that makes everybody lose their minds.
Speaker 5: So as now, I mean, the percentages of an actual kickoff return are so low now, right, Like, what's the point?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like seriously, I really, what's the point unless you want to just squib kicking everything, because that's what it's going to turn into. Yeah, if you want somebody to actually return the ball, you're gonna.
Speaker 6: Have to squib it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering as well, if it has anything to do and this is just pure speculation, something that just came to my head. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with injuries. Possibly, I don't know, if being able to have a little bit more space, a little bit more time to make decisions, and you're rewarded for that behavior, right, I'm just trying to find one redeeming quality.
Speaker 7: In turn, they're trying to continue to claim it's based upon player safety. They're going to continue to claim that the numbers show that kickoff return is the highest risk of all plays on the field over the course of a football game. And that's why they've instituted this rule, and then the rule prior they're restructuring the whole return game because they basically, let's just be honest, they want to abolish the return game as a whole all they if they written listen, I don't want to get into that because because there's actual sciences, because I'm a returner, right, so I'm speaking from the person who would actually get destroyed on that play. Okay, when they took away the wedge, that took away the high probability of a concussion.
Speaker 6: If they really want to take away.
Speaker 5: Another layer deeper, okay, take away crackbacks, take away blindside crackbacks on kickoff. Right, the kickoff return team should not be allowed to crack back. If you really want to lower concussions, don't take away the return. Don't take away the return and don't go to the freaking X fail on their whole little way to somebody catch. That's that's I don't like that either.
Speaker 7: So just get rid of the wedge, which they already did. Get rid of the crackbacks. Now where is the injury in terms of head?
Speaker 5: I'm running back as a frontline, as a frontline guy on kickoff return, I am turning the balls kick, I'm opening up, I'm springting back twenty twenty five yards. I'm settling my feet, and then I'm coming in. I'm blocking you with my hands. Dude, where is the head trauma?
Speaker 7: Just neutered one of the most electron fine types of plays in the NFL, the kick return you, that's where.
Speaker 6: We are, squid. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Now, they, like Nick said, they claim that it's a one year trial. I don't buy that because I understand the psychology of trying to reduce the immediate outrage by saying, hey, hey, hey, well only we're.
Speaker 6: Just trying it out. This is money on the table.
Speaker 10: This is going to stick, and then on a Friday night next year they're just going to go ahead, approved.
Speaker 6: Yeah, money on the table. This is this is going to stick. The draft.
Speaker 10: Hey, this is approved by the way, all right, so next pick.
Speaker 4: Just slide it in there. Yeah yeah, it'll be interesting. The season will definitely look a little bit different in terms of some of these new rules.
Speaker 8: So good insight from you guys. That's gonna do it.
Speaker 4: Though, for our time here on Talking Cowboys, thanks so much for letting me talk with you guys on these lovely talking Tuesday. It's been such a good time. Kyle will be back next week. I will be back on Girls Talk Boys Talk next week, so we will be back into our way of life, and then.
Speaker 8: Training camp will be here. Nicorn, we know it.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 8: Sorry, I've never been invited on you.
Speaker 4: Well, that'll do it for Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.