Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break? Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: It's tusy. August twenty seventh, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number nineteen.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the latest edition of The Break, live from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at Star. We are back from training camp and we're about to get into the season, and this is our These are our two shows this week, but next week we will be going full tilt.
Speaker 2: Every day.
Speaker 6: We'll be on the air talking Cowboys football. Here at Cowboys Break. Got my normal crew here with me. We're back at studio, so we got a lot to talk about today. I don't want to waste too much time. We have to start, obviously, with the biggest story in Cowboys news, Ceedee Lamb. He gets a four year extension one hundred and thirty six million dollars. That's an average of thirty four million per year.
Speaker 2: Just under.
Speaker 6: Wow, I'm drawing a blank on Justin Jefferson, just under Jefferson.
Speaker 7: Just under Justin Jefferson, I know, and things just escape you in this in the moments, one hundred million guaranteed thirty eight million signing bonus.
Speaker 6: That is a record for non quarterbacks in the NFL. Let's go first around the table, give me your thoughts on the deal itself.
Speaker 2: Let's start with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wrote yesterday the timing is certainly not perfect, but it is still timely thirteen days before the season opener, so there's still some time to be able to get you know, Ceedee Lamb back integrated with the offense, and you know, get him back integrated with Dak pre Scott. But certainly, I mean you look at the numbers and the numbers that they fell upon. I mean, this is a deal that probably could have gotten done in April and we would have a lot more preparation going into the season looking at CD Lamb and Dak Prescott. But nevertheless, you know, CD waits out, his representation waits out, and they end up getting the deal that they wanted at the end of the day. So you know, who's to say that the Cowboys were willing to make that deal back in April, but nevertheless, they'll have a couple of practice opportunities. It'll start as early as today. He's going to have to come in, get his physical done, get the paperwork done in order to be on the field tonight for the walk through practice. But that could be the first opportunity for Dak and CD to at least get some routes back on air again together. But yeah, I don't see him being a sixty play guy on in Week one against the Cleveland, but he's definitely gonna be integrated in the offense. I'm not sitting here saying he's not gonna start or anything, but I think just with the way this team has constructed this offensive game plan while they've been away at training camp, CD's gonna have to figure out how to get himself back integrated within that. He's the most important piece of that. So you know, I think he's a still look for Brandon Cook's opportunity, still look for Jalen Tolbert, Jake Ferguson opportunities in Week one against Cleveland. But I think as you start getting closer to Week three and week four, that's when you really start to see CD Lamb fully back one integrate it back into the offense. But it's a huge deal. And you look at CD and his deal and just what he got from a numbers perspective, I mean, the the investment in his future is certainly there.
Speaker 3: They might need him one hundred and twenty plays in that Cleveland game. Yeah, you know, yeah, it's gonna be about when we get into that, it's gonna be about how you block that front seven. And they got some secondary guys that you're gonna have to talk about as well. But uh, good for CD Lamb, good for the team. The timing is Nick mentioned, probably not great, but you know, ultimately, you know, CD did what he had to do and he got the deal he wanted. The Cowboys, you know, they're they're going to now find ways to you know, the structure of the deal, find ways to get the cap numbers down, find ways to help with savings in the future going forward. So it's never easy. These things, these big deals are never easy to do. And you know, I could say it's the best part of the whole thing is that they got the player in and but what we learned about the player being out that there's some other guys with the growth of Tolbert, you know potentially what he can help you with. With Brooks, what you can maybe get out of him, we saw what Cooks can do, So yeah, it was it was. It was a learning experience for the Cowboys as far as getting the deal done. It was a learning experience to get to evaluate their wide receivers. So maybe a win on both sides that way.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm very excited, very happy that we can finally stop talking about it and guessing and now we can get to work. He is very much well deserving of that money. I think he's definitely has earned every single penny of it. But it is one of those things that it's still in the back of my mind that it does concern me. You know, every time a player gets a big contract like that and then they come in, the expectations get a little higher, and then versus what you're seeing on the field, you become fans and everybody you start criticizing it a lot harder and a lot more because of the amount of money that you're paying. And I just hope that his absence from training camp doesn't come and.
Speaker 9: Hurt the Cowboys in that way.
Speaker 8: I know he's a professional and he's been training, he's been doing his own workouts and all of that on his own, but it's still different. Is two weeks enough for him to get back in it and be ready for that first week in Cleveland?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 8: We'll find out very soon, but that's something that's still kind of that everyone is going to be keeping an eye on.
Speaker 3: You know, it's an interesting point you make. I think I'm on the other end of this one. I think I'm on the other end of He's the one guy that I feel like I could pay and oh yeah, and he's going to get better. I just think that every year you watch him play, his game has gotten better. Yeah. You know what, when the first five weeks of the season last year, they're kind of like, what are we doing? And then they start to say, Okay, let's think about adjusting this, and that's when things took off for him and I just I really, I'm I'm the guy. I'm trusting Mike McCarthy on this one. When he says, Hey, this guy can run all day, and you know he wants to run all day, he wants to do I'm I totally understand the direction you're going there. My side of it is, I feel like that, like I'm not worried about the guy. I'm just not he is. He's the I think of all the guys that they're going to have with A fifty three, I think he's the guy I worry about the least of coming in and being ready to go and living up to the expectations of what this contract is going to be.
Speaker 8: You know, I think he'll keep showing up and getting better. I absolutely agree with you in that. But the only thing that I will say is is how many weeks is it going to take for him to get integrated?
Speaker 9: And again, I've seen him.
Speaker 8: I know what he can do, and I if there's anybody else that I can trust other than Zach Martin, he would be another guy that I'll be like, Okay, yeah, sure. But it is something that it is in my head.
Speaker 2: Well, I think here's thing.
Speaker 3: It's very fair. It's very fair.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think the integration piece doesn't bother me as much. Here's what I am a little bit and I won't even say concern, but I am keeping in the back of my mind is when you have missed off training camp. I think there is some conditioning to the body that happens. I'll give you an example. When you're when you're training for anything, you typically have to work up.
Speaker 2: You don't start if you're.
Speaker 6: Training for a marathon, Brian, you've done marathons, Yeah, you don't start on day one running thirteen miles, right.
Speaker 2: You start off slow, You start.
Speaker 6: Off with a relatively low amount of mileage, and you build, you build over time, and that allows your body to absorb the training and keeps you from getting these soft tissue injuries and those kinds of things. What I'm going to be looking at is, obviously it's two weeks before you're going to get him to the field. I think he's going to come in phenomenal shape because he looks like he's in phenomenal shape.
Speaker 2: That's not the issue. It's the football stuff.
Speaker 6: It is the movements of football that maybe he doesn't have.
Speaker 2: That is he going to work up?
Speaker 6: How are they going to make sure that he works up slowly enough to where he doesn't risk injuring himself.
Speaker 8: That's what you're verbalizing my thoughts. Yeah, yeah, you just have better English than me. But that's that's exactly what the gonna be.
Speaker 6: Like this dad in Spanish, We'll get a translator and we'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Goohead.
Speaker 3: Why do I kind of feel like that CD puts name to paper and him and Daker in the dockyard, and while everybody's off trying to figure out cuts and things like that, that they're starting to throw the ball together. I mean, I just to me and everybody, everybody's right about that. I just I just think this is a rare cat. I really do. I think this is one of those guys where if it was if it was anybody else, I would sit there and go, they're right, They're right about that. They're right. That makes sense. But with this guy, I think there's something different about this guy. I think he knew that he was going this was how if he was going to see this through, it was going to be down to the wire. I think he's prepared himself, knowing that this scene could come down to the wire, you know, and he got what he wanted out of the deal. Yeah, two weeks. To me, I'm grateful that it wasn't three days before the Cleveland game. Yeah, and then and they were all talking about he's in active this week because he's not ready and all that. You've given this guy some time, And I like what you're saying about the football readiness. I think that to me, if it was a defensive player, if it was, I would be But a guy who makes his living running and catching the way that he does, you know, we've seen I'm trying to think of some of these times. You see guys come back from things and they just immediately throw them out there and then all of a sudden, it's like they have these productive games, and you know, I just he's I just keep saying he's the last one I'm worrying about because I think that he I think he had a plan for how he was going to do this, and I think in his mind him and his agent knew this could come down to the last damn day. But we're going we're gonna get it done. I think he's gonna be ready to go when we see him.
Speaker 4: So when we are certainly in the same exact predicament with Michael Parsons next year, you're gonna have a little bit more concern.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, let me let me be honest here, I was more concerned about Micah Parsons missing OTAs because it was a new defense.
Speaker 4: Then you have been about CD missing training camp.
Speaker 2: Yep, gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Just because I feel like that, you know, and you guys do a fine job of reporting here in Dallas Cowboys dot Com and everybody's talking about he had his iPad installations, all that stuff. He can follow along with what's going on. The only thing that he wasn't doing was the on the field stuff. And I'm like, like I said, if if ceed goes out there and falters, okay, you know what cooks Tolbert Ferguson. You guys picked the slack up here, you know, until we get it. I think you now, even Brooks, I think you got an idea of some guys. I'm more confident in Tolbert as a player. If something were to happen where man Lamb doesn't look right today, All my colleagues here are right about you know, you guys are all right. He just doesn't look good. Step in their tobt, get it done today, you know, step in their first and get it done today. That's where That's where I'm at with this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the big key for me is and I think they do have a plan, But I think they just have to have a plan for how they get him integrated from the standpoint of getting him worked up to the level that it's going to take for him to be at the level that he normally is. And that's not about his ability, that's not about his work, that's not about his conditioning. That's more just about getting him football ready. Where everybody else has been for a month toiling every day at training camp. That has a way of building your body up. And I'm sure they have a plan for him. I think Mike mentioned something about it yesterday. This guy can run all day. He loves to run like that's that. I think they know he's going to be in condition now. I think they'll have a plan for how do they get him football ready so that they don't rush him out there so fast. Like you said, he ain't doing one hundred and twenty plays this game. It, Yeah, but you got to ease him into that a little a little bit and make sure that you don't expose him unnecessarily to the potentially injury.
Speaker 3: Well, but wear and tear on his body is not as bad as some of these guys after going through camp. After going through camp, you know, with the three games you played, the practices and stuff like that. I mean, I I just kind of feel like though that that you know, here's a guy that's going to be I think he's going to have to The thing he's going to have to guard against is going too much, right, is going as being you know, let's go, let's go throw me in.
Speaker 2: Let They may have to protect him from himself.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is one of these guys that I don't think he's going to want to take it easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: As far as as far as what he's been up to, he's been in South Florida working with various trainers here in the course of training camp. So whether that be Delfonte Diamond, his receiver worker or his receiver work specialist, and a lot of speed trainers down in South Florida. You've probably seen the videos on Instagram of him doing cuts on the beach and that's stuff tough to do. I try to do that once.
Speaker 7: Someone just running on the beach, card walking on the beach as hard.
Speaker 4: Bury all your stuff.
Speaker 3: On the beach is not hard on the beach.
Speaker 4: A footing on the beach a different story. But he has been training, that's what he's been up to. In fact, he was coming from South Florida yesterday whenever he got the phone call. So that's that he's going to be coming straight into town from South Florida. And then he's hoping to be able to step in and practice as soon as tonight. So we'll see, all.
Speaker 6: Right, we're gonna take our first break, we'll come back. I'll talk about some players that are not on this team, but maybe we'll be by the end of the day or the end of the week.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 5: FIVED requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. Com Slash five g for you for d deals.
Speaker 11: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg olead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels. No one comes close. Lgolad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room.
Speaker 3: Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 12: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: If you shout how about them Cowboys. You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 2: Be beat better.
Speaker 4: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 13: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does, and it's here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, Bank of America NA member after I see Equal Credit up Trinity Lender back to the.
Speaker 8: Break lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take Brian's word for it. Digital Trends said the LG oled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com slash Oledevo.
Speaker 2: Welcome Back. It is segment of the Break Lives WBC More Studios.
Speaker 6: At the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. There we go, all right, we're going to talk about a couple of players that the Cowboys are reportedly going to be visiting with that they could look to maybe add and add to their roster. Bolster the roster here actually the day that they're going to be making their final cuts. In the final segment, we will get to some cuts that have already been made so as some players have already been waived. But let's start first with some of these players that are coming in for visits. Let's talk about Dalvincook running back, very productive running back throughout his career in Minnesota, had some I don't know, just not much production, but I don't think he had a lot of opportunity there with the Jets. Did end up with the Ravens last year and had some pretty decent moments. Give me a scattering point, Brian. If you're going to give a scattering report on this guy, woae to be Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think this is a little bit quicker Ezekiel Elliott, and I think that I think that you have a little bit better quickness and power with Rico, Dawdle and Vaughn. You have more explosiveness with the player. So to me, there's probably two of the three current running backs that I would have on my fifty three. I didn't include Davis in there, but I kind of feel like that that might be the three that we're dealing with here right now. This guy is It's more he's got the vision still, he can make the quick decision. I think he needs to be going straight ahead. I just don't think there's a lot of I don't think there's no longer that he can make those violent cuts that he once made in his day. He's you know, they they kind of use him like as when they'll throw him the ball in the move. That's a good thing for him. But when you hand him the ball and you get him to start to go wide, you could keep him going wide. He doesn't have that ability to turn that corner like he once did, and there was, you know, the inside pursuit was getting him and the Jets. As you mentioned, Derek not really blocking for him very much. Plays in a playoff game with the Ravens. Better blocking up front has a long run. It was just a really kind of a straight ahead, well blocked played, He's going to get what what's ever in front of him. So I was a little bit a little bit more dancing with the Ravens in the hole, but and he can't afford to do that. I kind of feel like you're looking at this as we used to call this when I was with Parcels, he called the emergency team the tidewater board because of the Triple A for the Yankees was tidewater, and so he was like, Okay, that's our tidewater team. I think they're looking at this guy right now. Is okay, where is he shape wise? And could this be an emergency guy going forward? I don't know.
Speaker 6: They So you're saying, don't sign him now, wait something comes up.
Speaker 3: I think they're looking at this and just seeing where he's at. I don't know. Now things might change. But if you're thinking of Dalvin Cook as Dalvin Cook of days gone by. He's not that guy anymore. He is. It's it's it's very similar. Just like I said, probably a little bit quicker Zeke, but not much quicker. You know, you still got a guy that's going to finish forward. But is he going to make those explosive runs that we've seen in the past. No, he's not. You can start to see that defenders were getting to him and bringing him down and he wasn't breaking arm tackles and things like that, so he could still catch the football, which is good. He's not much of a pass protector when it comes to the blitz pick up stuff. But I kind of feel like though that like they're they're trying to. At least the thing that's encouraging me is they're continually looking at running back players. They're looking at possibilities here. They haven't just said, Okay, these are guys and that's what we're gonna do. So if they're if they're looking at Dalvin Cook, maybe there's some others the waiver wire, we'll see what happens. The Jets have a guy, I know, we can't get into that until they actually release the player. But the Jets have a guy that people should be interesting. I can't bring up his name, but look at the Jets roster and you can maybe figure it out. But yeah, that's that's kind of where I would I would I would venture to say that this is more of a kick the tires situation than it is bring a guy in right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it can make sense to sign him to the practice squad and you know, see if there's a need for him three four weeks into the season and see if there's an opportunity there. But you mentioned you mentioned the receiving game and being a little bit quicker than Ezekiel Elliott. The thing is Ezekiel Elliott, the receptions that he had last year and how he was able to be productive in the receipt You just take last year in a vacuum. It's way more productive than Dalvin Cook has had in any season as a receiving back. And so I think that's the extra layer that I understand the questioning around why is Ezekiel Elliott just this runaway RB one and he doesn't even have to play in the preseason And it's just fact at this point. To a certain point, I do understand the fans frustration with that. I would have liked to have seen Ezekil Elliott a little bit in the preseason, but I think this is still a guy who is versatile enough to be able to fill multiple roles. He can be that pass protector, he can be that receiving back, he can be that downhill guy, short yatage back. Whereas Daln Cook, while he may have an extra speed element to him, he can still read the the the offensive line a little bit to the same point as Ezekiel Elliott can. He doesn't necessarily bring everything that Ezekiel Elliott brings in his toolbag. So for me, if I'm looking at that, okay, I take Zeke over Dalvin Cook. I take where you go doubt over Dalvin Cook because I like his aggression a little bit more, I like his downhill nature a little bit more. And I'm taking duz Vaughan over Dalvin Cook because this running back room still does need a player, and I'm not convinced that Dalvin Cook is a playmaker after only rushing for two hundred and fourteen yards last year. And you mentioned that one run that he had with Baltimore, and it was literally one run he had it was a nice run, but the game was thirty four to ten and the game was decided by that point. I just meant, I was like, Okay, let me go back and watch last year to see if I missed anything. So maybe he wasn't getting cors lined up in correct situations. And I was right, I did miss something. He was even worse than I remembered, Like, it was not great stuff that I saw from him last year. But nevertheless, you look at the seasons before that. He was coming off of a four straight one thousand yard season, so he's not that far removed from being a really productive back in this league. It's just what happened last year. Was it, you know, kind of a fluke incident, or can he get back in the team, get back in conditioning, and after three four weeks on the practice squad be able to make his way and be able to make a name for himself on the team. But as of right now, I'm not buying a whole lot into this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, I mean, it's still good that it's happening, just to check him out and visit and have an idea in case the time comes down the road. And I mean, we see it happen during the season, so better to do that kind of work now than in the middle of the season. But going back to Zeke and what you mentioned Nick, with fans kind of being frustrated with him not getting those reps during preseason, and I agree, but at the same time, like he's he's done the work and I'd rather just see him stay there. And what we've seen to me at training camp, I know, and I have my whole doubts with the running game as a whole in general, But with Zeke what I started seeing those last couple of weeks, I mean he looks really good. And by really good, I mean he's healthy. He looks light on his movement, like he looks quick but light, Like you know when sometimes running backs can look like heavy and it's just kind of harder to make those runs. He looks lighter, ag yeah, and he's putting that work. So anyway, that with that being said, I'm just there's a lot to look at. But Dalvin could he's not yet. He doesn't have that attractiveness that he once had when you heard his name, like oh yeah, now, it's kind of I put him in the same boat as Ezekiel Elliott and kind of like they're kind of in the same path of career, you know, so with those two, our brother have Zeke. But anyways, it's still good to check him out. But I don't know how much if that's actually something that's going to happen where they sign him.
Speaker 3: Now. I kind of feel like they can run the ball with ric o'dowdell.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've all agreed that the issue there is not his ability, right.
Speaker 3: It's the health. It's always going to it's availability. And it's a little bit like when we talk about with Tyron Smith. You know, it's like, gosh, we know Tyron Smith's a really good player, but availability part if Rico Daddle can find a way to stay healthy with the content they had a full season, No, it's been, it's been, and that's.
Speaker 2: Been as a backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's a problem. And if you told me, if you told me that he was going to be able to play seventeen games in some playoffs, you know, I would say, fine, if you want to bring Zeke in and let him find you know, but you're going to figure out that that guy right over there is probably your best player, you know, when you start to run the football and the explosiveness and the quickness and all those things, it's Rico Daddle. That's the guy who's going to be But I and I understand the fans that you know it. To me, I was a little bit more frustrating because I wanted to see, Okay, what can you do? You saw him in the Rams scrimmage that on the left side they opened up some stuff and as you said, ever Zeke won't get through there got through there a couple of different times like, oh okay, here we go. I like to see that. But to me, with this offensive line the way it is with the two young kids and they're blocking the combo blocks, the backside cutoffs, maybe some improved blocking from the tight ends, this thing might have a chance to be better than what we think it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt. Let's move on to Tyas by Bowser. He is a guy that we're that.
Speaker 6: Rumors are that he's coming in to meet with the team as well.
Speaker 2: What do you think? And give me a scatter report on Tyas.
Speaker 4: Bowser, Tyler Texas, Baby Texas. Let's go John Tyler High School. Kujo.
Speaker 2: When it comes to high school guys.
Speaker 6: This man right here who knows those guys from back when they were wee bit little guys playing football.
Speaker 2: Draft he knows these guys.
Speaker 4: It's even even an added layer of Siico because I'm also in East Texas guy, and I have a ton of family that went to John Tyler. I went to John Tyler for a semester, so it's a little bit extra even with the specific school he went to. But drafted to Baltimore back in twenty seventeen, was really productive and finally found his role after a couple of seasons in Baltimore. It was a really good rotational guy for them, and I think if you were looking at maybe rotational guys in twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, that was a guy you probably wanted to be able to elevate into a starting role if you're another team looking around. But then he battles a twenty akilles and he battles a knee injury last year, so he's coming off of back to back pretty devastating injuries. So it's does he still have the speed? Does he still have the quickness? I think that's going to be the big part of today's workout and especially the physical is going to be really important with him too. But I mean, if he does still have that same quickness and that same twitch is sure. You know, if if Karl Lawson is a guy that the team's looking around and didn't think worked out, then maybe they go get a guy with a little bit more links. He's six foot three to two hundred and fifty pounds, so he definitely has the power aspect of it as well. But for me, it's I don't know how you feel about this, Brian specifically, but when it comes to scouting guys and kind of looking at their body of work over the last couple of years, it's hard to ignore that the injuries are coming off of at the same time. So it's it's a little bit tough to actually judge what Bowser could bring to the Dallas Cowboys without being in that physical room. But if he is healthy, he has been productive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he heard his knee, as Nick mentioned before the twenty twenty three season, So the film I looked at was twenty twenty two is what I did with him. He places as a stand up linebacker, but the Ravens have a different skin because of their odd front three four front is what they do. So but the initial quickness was good. He's got some pop off the ball. I think he needs to be more aware of the ball at him. There were times in the run game whereas Carl Lawson I felt was a better run defender than he was a pass rusher. From what I saw, I think Bowser's opposite of that. But I think he just need to be a little bit more aware with the ball at him. He has good inside rush, he'll get his He'll use his hands to free himself. I just didn't see a guy that could grab the corner. And that's what I worried about him, with a little bit that maybe that we were talking about some of the injuries and stuff. This is before the knee, but he just didn't have that ability to really grab the corner like I like him to. He'll extend on blockers. He can control guys with power. You know, they'd use him in coverage. He was playing quite a bit in some coverage. You know, he can close down that backside when free, when he has a run, he could really really close that thing. I'd just like to see a little bit better change of direction. He'll labor some in this, but He's also twenty nine years old, so a little bit older guy coming off some injuries. Like Nick's talking about, does he have the quickness? Does he have the explosiveness that he once had? This is a you know, applaud the Cowboys again. They're not standing pat They're looking at guys. They're throwing a lot at this their defense. They're throwing a lot at a lot of their their roster spots. I think that's a positive thing that they're going to continue to look at guys like this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, mention, you mentioned real quick about Carl Lawson. You just kind of threw the name out there. But how much do you think this is about what they lot Carl Lawson and maybe not necessarily thinking needs the answer a lot.
Speaker 3: And you know, Carl Lawson is one of these guys that I felt like there were some good reps in the Chargers game. When you went back and watched the tape of him playing, it was a little bit better of the dip and getting that shoulder underneath and flattening where you saw some pressure. I actually thought Mohammed was the better of When you started to talk about loss in Mohammed Wheat, I kind of you have Muhammed the role while of the edges, he was the one guy. But he is going to get suspended the first week of the season, so you could probably carry him. What was our jones last year? Running back Don Ronald Jones two games. I couldn't think of his name yesterday, but I'm like, okay, well somebody got suspended.
Speaker 2: Its Jones.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this is you know it depending on how they they look at things, Like I say, Carl Lawson, probably you know, not in the picture for him right now.
Speaker 2: On that all right, let's sick our final break.
Speaker 6: We'll come back tuck a little bit about some of the players that we've already reported have been released, I have been waived, and then we'll talk about some other guys that we expect.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll be on that list by end of the day. It's a tough day in the NFL. We'll be back. Dallas Cowboys dot comrad Deal.
Speaker 14: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized, intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG oled Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more life like, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 11: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 11: Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 2: See for yourself at LG dot com.
Speaker 16: Slash O Leadevo From the field of the festivities, Lucasey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star in Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable Secure.
Speaker 5: Five G requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 9: At and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: It is the final segment of the break Live for this WBC Mortgage Studios.
Speaker 2: At the start, we're presented by LG.
Speaker 6: LG is the world's number one O lead TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why LG dot Com Forward slash O lead EVO. All right, for you guys, let's jump into some of the guys that have already been waived. We reported some of this yesterday. I'll throw out some names.
Speaker 3: Can I thank Nick Harris for jumping on that. Yeah, he was all over it, right my gosh, right off the jump. Well done, sir.
Speaker 2: That's where I got this list from was from his tweets.
Speaker 3: So I mean that I looked at that thing and I'm like, here we go, get some get some names right off the jump.
Speaker 4: Got terminated jokes, but that's that's how they do.
Speaker 2: Well. Here's the thing.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna throw throw all the names here a long list. I'm gonna throw out some of the names that just jumped out to me because Scott Eric, No, Scott's not number one, but he is on that list sure. But here's some of the guys that that will Wave that for me were interesting guys that Will waved uh and guys I think could possibly be practice squad type players if they get through Waivers linebacker, Willie Harvey, defensive back, Eric Scott defensive tackle, Albert Huggins, wide receiver, Tyring Billy Johnson, Uh defensive end, Villiami Fijoco tight end. This morning we hear Peyton Hendershot is supposedly on the outs as well. That being said, of those names, are there any surprises, uh, that of guys that that you thought maybe would have had a better shot at making the team.
Speaker 4: I thought they were maybe gonna keep Foogo around another year, and for him to be Wave injured. I'm curious what the injury ended up being, But I I it doesn't necessarily surprise me that they let go of fo Hoko, but it was I would probably say it's the more so prising of these guys, you know, I've been talking to some people, and you know, there was some questions earlier in camp, like, man, Willie Harvey might make this roster, and he's looking good, but he had a bad performance Johnson. Yeah, right, he had a bad two preseason performance in those final two preseason games. And then Buddy Johnson had an awesome game this past Saturday Saturday, and so I think Buddy Johnson's gonna end up sneaking onto this roster instead of Willie Harvey. And then you look at it from a size perspective to Willie Harvey's five to ten on a good day, and I think you just kind of need the you need that size element, especially on special teams, and that's what that depth linebacker is going to be asked to do. But I wouldn't say there was any too many major, you know, surprises, you know Tyron Billy Johnson, Yeah, he looked great early in camp, but I think Jalen Cropper and Ryan Flanoy had passed him up by the end of camp. But yeah, nothing to nothing too uh too shocking, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I want to if I could, you know, you mentioned these wide receivers give Floorinoy a lot of credit. He came a long way. He did in a in a in our hurry, because we were all at camp when we were talking and doing our shows and things like that, we were talking about boy Cropper looks good. Cropper's got a stranglehold on this thing, looking good, looking good, Billy Johnson, the name ah you mentioned. And then all of a sudden, it's like, who's this eighteen eighteen again? Eight oh? Another catch eight team? He induced faun probably came as fast and as far from where they spotted everybody. Two weeks of practice and then all of a sudden said, no, we're gonna make this team, or we're going to figure out a way to make this team by the way they played. So Fajoko being waved injured, this one's got some possibilities because what you're doing by waving him injured, you're telling the league that he's hurt, there's something wrong with him. And sometimes teams won't claim an injured player. They won't do that, And so what will happen is likely he'll revert back to your list of your ir group. And when he reverts back to your our group, you could keep him there the whole time, or you can injury, settle him and give him a couple of game checks and let him move on.
Speaker 4: So I'd be shocked if dan Quinn's looking at it. He could have a he could have a missing right arm, and I think dan Quinn would still go grab.
Speaker 3: Well, see that's what now, Maybe Dallas, maybe this is how Dallas is protecting themselves now that Dan might you know, Dan might go through the age and figure out, like, what's wrong with him?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Is it a hamstring? Dallas is maybe playing a smart game here that they don't want to lose him and they're trying to make it. And these teams they fall in love with their players, you know, like if you're the New England Patriots, who has a talent poor roster, you should claim every single guy that everybody puts out there. You just get rid of your roster and start taking everybody else. You'll be better off. This is the second draft. We're about to have the second draft here. So to me, Dallas might be playing the game of okay, if we can get Fojoko through, we could keep him on injured, reserve the whole year and work on it next year. Or they could be we just need the spot and you know we're gonna give him game checks. That there's the injury settlement thing will always be a factor in this to get guys off the off the reserve lists and things like that.
Speaker 9: Well, no surprises for me, nobody surprised me.
Speaker 8: Fallko is the one. But because he was on the injury it makes me question that. And again, we got to keep in mind everything that you guys just said. Yeah, they waive these guys, and then you gotta wagh a few well today and then by tomorrow and things, they start picking guys back up to put in the practice squad and all of that. So it's still we don't know what's going to happen there. And then with Billy Johnson, just like you guys mentioned, he is a name, and to me, those last couple of weeks of training camp are what mattered the most because it's what's on your memory, that's the freshest thing that you've seen from these players, saying he's the guy that you started talking about him, hearing his name, seeing him make plays. But again, when you talk about the wide receiver group, how deep it is and how many other guys have shown up at training camp and even in the preseason making plays and are very attractive. But also you don't have spots like you're you're like keeping six guys a wide receiver. So yeah, there are other guys that I think are ahead of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think something very telling, though, Derek from your list is the Eric Scott one. The fact that they're down Bland and now they're looking at this. Are they going to carry five guys?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Uh, Keemen Hall is still on this team as we speak. Uh, you know, we'll get the final we'll get the final cuts today at three o'clock. But Keem and Hall still there. Did they determine that Keenan Hall was better than Eric Scott.
Speaker 9: And that play?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But you know it's funny Eric Scott, like I was thinking, there's no way he's here, and then he practiced great that last Wednesday we were there. He was knocking balls down and stuff, and I was going him and span four two guys. I kind of felt like, we're off the roster all of a sudden, we're making plays.
Speaker 9: So everybody else was ready to come back home.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know that's the point.
Speaker 2: You know, I was watching practice. Somebody watched, So we'll take your word for.
Speaker 9: It, but I take very lightly because everyone's over it.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing with Eric Scott that I kind of wonder, because they do have the injury, you know, and and maybe, like I said, maybe they tried to move Eric Scott to maybe the commanders who that's where his guys were, and the commanders are like, going, no, you're calling us because you're gonna let him go. We'll just claim him. We'll be fine here, you know, we'll be fine. But there were some times where Eric Scott made some some good plays, you know, but maybe not obviously not enough to make this final fifty three?
Speaker 2: Real quick, did you.
Speaker 4: Just a bad day to be a Johnson? Yesterday? Cam Johnson, Jason Johnson, Derel Johnson, tying, Billy Johnson all waved, but Buddy Johnson's still hanging around.
Speaker 6: All right, So real quick, before we end the show, we don't have about two minutes here. I want to go around the table. I want you to give me one name that will be a surprise by tomorrow morning. What I mean by that is either a surprise that they were no longer here or a surprise that they are here. Let's go around the table.
Speaker 9: Let me pull up the roster, so I see everybody's name.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, let's start with you. Brian, you go first.
Speaker 3: I would be surprised if gosh, I knew you were going to do this. I should have been more prepared.
Speaker 9: I think ahead of time. No, no, no, I think in the spot.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say this. Don't be surprised if Brevin span Ford makes this team and they carry four Titans.
Speaker 4: I I if I'm betting. I'm not betting on this happening, but and this might start an argument that could go longer than two minutes. Do you need CJ. Goodwin spot?
Speaker 3: Go there, don't go there. You know what's about to happen to you. You you had a better chance to attack Taylor Swift or Beyonce than than get than putting that name out there. They're just gonna give you. Are my friend? Fair? All right, fair? And I agree with you on that shut down quick that no people will take it swing at your.
Speaker 4: I think they're gonna find a way to make Julius Wood a part of this fifty.
Speaker 3: Doing that, and I did the same thing in my final fifty three. I went in five safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think they're gonna find a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Amber, I'm still okay, can I throw one out?
Speaker 6: I don't know that this is a surprise, but I do think he's a guy's on the bubble. I think Israel mccualmo makes this team. I think because he gives him a little bit of flexibility at corner and safety.
Speaker 3: When you pick another one, you gotta pick another.
Speaker 2: One, Jack, go ahad and go with another one, go with another one.
Speaker 3: Because that that was that's a given right there?
Speaker 2: Well is it because it is because of last week?
Speaker 6: Because we had this conversation last week, and we I think it seemed like everybody's kind of like, I don't know, Hey, I think it's pretty much done.
Speaker 3: I'll throw you one that might be and you might not like this one. Da cooda. Shepley look better than Hoffman in the game the other day.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 4: I'll give you that, but I'll take Hoffman over Shepley.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is both I'm saying. Maybe I'm just throwing.
Speaker 4: I'm just throwing and started a game of Guarden and Week eight team last year playing great.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just saying, just keeping up.
Speaker 8: I was looking I was looking at the line A lineman and I'm like, looking, Okay, there are a few of these that it would be surprising to me if they do make the team, And I would take Hoffman in a heartbeat over Shepley.
Speaker 3: Okay for sure. Would you take Baller? Well, let's go.
Speaker 2: Ball easy. Yeah, Well to me, And by the way, again, I will tell you this. I'll tell you this.
Speaker 6: Going into this training camp, I thought it was very clear, Well, let's go A was the better player.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: After this camp, there's no doubt in my mind with you that ball is a better player.
Speaker 3: I'm more versatile too, Yeah, with you, But I bet I know I act like I got sixty guys in this rockster the way I'm talking.
Speaker 9: That's what I'm saying, Like, there are some guys.
Speaker 8: That's the tricky part because even though they're not that great, you're like, okay, you need the bodies. So that's a tricky one for me. But also, are they gonna be maybe swapping our guys with somebody else's guys?
Speaker 2: I couldn't say that's a good point.
Speaker 9: Another roster cuts real.
Speaker 3: Quick, real quick. Davis on the team running back, No, No, I would.
Speaker 4: I've seen your opinion on that on Twitter.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with you.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I just do you think he is? I'm taking that I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think he is, but I thought I think that maybe Davis there, they're come to the realization that they're going to have to go better at running and he can't be. See, that's why I kept Wood on the team because Wood at safety is going to play all the positions for all my running backs that don't play.
Speaker 2: Special on special teams.
Speaker 3: They can have all their special teams guys, or excuse me, all their running backs not play special teams. I'm keeping Wood around to play special teams for all those.
Speaker 6: But with their running backs, are they going to make all four active for every game?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 2: That's the interesting part is all for included? I'm including Lipky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think now you have to because they have to activate. They have to activate Vaughan because of the we talked about injury histories and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Let's say if Ezekiel Elliott gets hurt very first play of the game, you're going on Rico Daubell and Hunter Lipkey. Yeah, if you do, Span is an active in that situation.
Speaker 3: So it forces them to have to make Vaughn active.
Speaker 6: Right, yeah right, Which that's the part where it gets a list to have four running backs active and three of them are not playing special teams. I'm assuming lip Key will play special teams right for those other three, not that that makes it interesting.
Speaker 4: So they asked me on a fan this morning, who is guy fifty three on this team?
Speaker 3: Said yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that is a wrap. We appreciate you guys.
Speaker 6: Jonas will be back on Thursday and we'll talk about some of the wave, some of the players that get way today and well then we'll start getting ready for the season next week. We'll be into it every day starting on next Tuesday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Next week we'll be getting ready for Cowboys versus Browns. Until then for Nick Harris, Brian brought us Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Eiltson. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.