Speaker 1: Isn't the month of May marvelous? While April may be the official beginning of spring, it has to deal with Winter, who's still hanging out like that last party guest who just doesn't ever want to go home. But once we've flipped the calendar to May, there's absolutely no doubt that Spring has arrived in her full glory, and Winter finally gets the message and says it's last goodbyes. The sun shines warmly, the birds sing sweetly, and the air it carries the floral sense of many thousands of blossoms in my farm. Around my farm, I've got trees that are blooming. I've got rhododendrons and azelias. I've got all these beautiful trees that are blooming. And it's smells so wonderful. It's the earth giving birth. So of course we celebrate mother's motherhood, mothering. It's only natural that we should. Today's Grammy winning podcast guest has a thing or two to add to the conversation about mothers about motherhood. She's a Newish mom herself, with a toddler to tend to Riley and another babe on the way, and in the same real talk fashion, she pinned her chart topping singles All About That Bass and Dear Future Husband. Meghan Trainers pinned a new book, Dear Future Mama, A TMI guide to pregnancy, birth, a new motherhood from your bestie. Music has been a part of Meghan's life always. Her dad was the church organist and her uncle, Burton Tony, was a recording artist. She began writing songs when she was a kid. Throughout junior and senior high school, she learned to play a number of instruments. She sang in choirs and bands, and entered and won songwriting competitions. By the time she graduated from high school, she'd already recorded three albums of her own material, and that's about the same time she signed her first publishing deal. Her twenty fourteen smash hit All About That Bass went to number one around the world and was soon followed by Lipster Movin and Dear Future Husband. With this much talent, ambition, determination and success, just imagine how laughable it must have been when she was told that pregnancy and motherhood would damage her career. I am such a big fan of this bright, sassy mama. We're going to get to chat about her book her babies, her latest single mother, and anything else she has on her heart. Just after I tell you about a podcast sponsor that makes this conversation possible, The American strog Association wants you to know that May is National American Stroke Month. I'm helping to spread the word and doing all I can to raise awareness of the number five cause of death, the number three for women, and the leading cause of disability in the US. Those numbers are alarming, but strokes can be prevented by maintaining your optimal health and knowing your risk factors. Get to know your healthcare professional and work as a team to keep you healthy and happy. And here do you know the warning signs of stroke? Most adults don't, And because strokes need immediate medical help, recognizing the signs can save lives. Maybe your own learning fast fast can save lives. If you see face drooping, arm weakness, or speech difficulty, it's time to call nine one one. Remember fast, Face drooping, arm weakness, speech difficulty, It's time to call nine one one. You can learn more at stroke dot org, forward slash Stroke Month, stroke st r oke dot org, Forward slash Stroke Month, Think and Act fast, My friends with me in the studio. I love someone today is the beautiful and talented and young and sweet Megan Trainer.
Speaker 2: Good morning, my queen.
Speaker 1: Hi Meghan. How old were you? You were like a teenager when you started your own recordings, right, oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: I My albums were what seventeen eighteen or no. Fifteen, sixteen and seventeen.
Speaker 3: I wrote and recorded my own albums at my house, and I wanted to be like a Dell And I was like, only seventeen, How fun is that?
Speaker 2: It was great. My parents would take my pictures, my album pictures.
Speaker 1: And your dad built your studio, right yeah.
Speaker 3: He helped me build a studio in our house. Yeah, in the basement.
Speaker 1: And you started singing when you were a little kid at church, right yeah.
Speaker 3: My dad played the organ our church forever, and then I would like sit up next to him.
Speaker 2: That was like a reward. I was like, oh, I could.
Speaker 3: Sit with dad and then he would perform sometimes, and then I would start singing with him. And then when I was writing my songs, He's like, all right, awesome, You're going to sing this at church on someday, And I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Fun fun. So you kind of feel like the Lord had his hand on you from the beginning, from day one, day one, day one, And what are you doing now? Because you are everywhere? First off, when do you sleep?
Speaker 2: It's not much, but it's great. We try to go to bed early.
Speaker 3: Once we put Riley to sleep at like seven, seven thirty. Then we my husband and I run to put pajamas on and go to sleep as fast as we can, and then we're.
Speaker 2: Up hit six again.
Speaker 1: How old's Riley?
Speaker 3: He's two now. He's so cute. He's in that room watching Blippy with my husband. And we've been doing promo for the Mother song that we released, and then for this book that we have out called Deer Free Jamama, which is all about, like my TMI experience with pregnancy, did you save eight kids?
Speaker 1: No? I have fifteen kids, but I have eight daughters. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I want four.
Speaker 1: People think I wanted four. I wanted four. My dream was four. That was maybe six. That was as big as a dream before people.
Speaker 2: I almost got this next one coming out of me. I'm super pregnant.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, congratulations, thank you.
Speaker 2: It's another boy. And I want four because I want daughters too.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I gotta tell you each child has such a different personality.
Speaker 2: I hear that. I'm so excited for that.
Speaker 1: You're gonna go, how did this happen? Like, how did I it came out of me? And yet it's nothing like the first one that came out of me? And is your first one? Pretty cool, pretty mellow, pretty pretty sweet.
Speaker 2: We call him our trick baby because he's so like chill.
Speaker 3: He never cried that much as a baby. He never he never threw up like when we would feed him. You know, he never burped up all of his food. He just kept it.
Speaker 1: And here's here's the crazy part for me. I'm so vain and I didn't know God back then that I thought it was all me. I was like, wow, I am such a good parent. I must be like mom of aseniony.
Speaker 3: I was like, dude, we're just good at this and we should make more. Wait till you see them the second one.
Speaker 1: So tell me about dear future Mama, because I love dear future husband. The song You caught crap for that, didn't you, like people were saying back in the day.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, I didn't even like personally hear it. I just remember being interviewed so much. And then they'd be like, so.
Speaker 3: Here's what everyone's saying online, and I was like, really, uh it was about Yeah, I don't even know specifically what they're saying, but I got a lot of heat for all my first songs, so I was just used to it, like in all by that bass, the skinny line and everything. Yeah, but I don't even think about that stuff now. I'm just like people will come up to me and be like, I love your future husband.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would you think about it when you are incredibly busy and everybody wants you. Yeah, that's the sweetest revenge, not saying a word, not buying into it, and not giving it an ounce of energy, but then just getting to bask in the glory of what God is doing in your life. That's all the sweetest.
Speaker 3: So I always knew like I wanted to write a book someday. I didn't know what it would be about, whether my career or but when I went through pregnancy, it was like so wild and so different, and I was so alone, and my best friends were strangers on YouTube giving me advice, and I had gestational diabetes and.
Speaker 2: There was like no YouTube videos on that.
Speaker 3: Like I was like, give me a recipe, give me like an idea of what I should do for a workout or anything, and there was like nothing in My first thought was, oh gosh, we need to make an app to like help other mamas out there, because there was no thing out here. I accidentally, I was so afraid of carbs that I put myself on a Keto flu on accident, and I just felt awful and I had to.
Speaker 2: Keep working and do a Christmas album and I was like.
Speaker 1: I'm tired, I'm sick, I've got a fever.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm failing my blood tests every four hours and I I'm not.
Speaker 2: Doing this right. I need help. But then other crazy stuff happened with my birth.
Speaker 3: I had a C section and he didn't come out crying, and they went to the nick You for five days, which I'm lucky. A lot of people don't come out of there for five months. So mine felt like a breeze compared to the stories I've heard. But I wanted to talk about it so that other Nikki mamas didn't feel so alone. And then I was on my intied presidents during my pregnancy, so I talk about that and I have a dietitian in the book, a trainer who specializes in pregnant women, and my actual obgyn who did my surgery, and my husband all up in the book.
Speaker 2: So it's just what I wish I had before I went through it alone.
Speaker 1: How sweet is that? Because I think about my mom back in her generation, like they would knock women out and four steps, you know, pull the baby out by the skull, and the moms wouldn't wake up for twenty four hours or whatever. It was like you had no say in the most profound experience of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wrote about that in the book. My nana was like that, they knocked her out and strapped her down.
Speaker 1: Yes, tie them down, but there's you're right, there's no information. And other members of my family had gestational diabetes, no information, no telling you what to expect afterwards, postpartum depression, no information. Thanks that helps a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like heads up, you might feel crazy and scary and like a terrible mom and they're.
Speaker 2: Like huh, and they're like good luck, you're on their own. Also, I thought it.
Speaker 3: Was baffling, how like I couldn't have certain types of food to the moment he came out of me. And then they were like, you want some pancakes and I was like what, Like I had desational diabetes and they're like, yeah, but it's out of you.
Speaker 2: You're good. I was like what I'm asking.
Speaker 3: Like cranberry juice. I was like, eh, I'll take another one. Like how is it just like fine? Now? It?
Speaker 2: I still have so many.
Speaker 1: Questions and how has this pregnancy been easier?
Speaker 3: This fun was wild. I had a lot of like bleeding in the beginning.
Speaker 2: I was confused.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think I was pregnant, but yeah, I like didn't think I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh no, I got my period.
Speaker 3: And then I took a test a month later because I was trying to have a baby and it said.
Speaker 2: Positive and I was like, let'k go.
Speaker 3: And I was so excited and I did all these interviews and then I started bleeding like a period again, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, what's happening?
Speaker 3: And then like cried because I thought I was losing the baby. And then I kept testing for ten days straight after and they we're all positive and my doctor's like, well, it should be negative by now, and I was like, well, we're still here. And I did a blood test and it was like ninety thousand at it from zero and I was like, I have twins.
Speaker 2: That's what all this is. This is it's twins. I get it.
Speaker 3: I wasn't twins, but I was like, what a rocky start this one was emotionally, So.
Speaker 1: Will you still be like trying to keep up this crazy schedule because you're like everywhere.
Speaker 2: I did, yeah, I'm I'm done.
Speaker 3: I did like seven and a half months of just like go go, go, go go. I went to Australia, we did a whole Australian Idol TV show. We were just in New York the other day promoting the book. But I told them like, my brain is starting to shut down, and I like, women are my heroes, and pregnant people in general are my heroes that they can work to the moment their baby pops out.
Speaker 2: I can't do it. I can't do it.
Speaker 1: That's p really good for anyone to do that.
Speaker 3: And they're like, let's do interviews. I'm like, my brain is tired.
Speaker 1: I need rest.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like, I'm starting to say things that don't make sense.
Speaker 3: You know. So I told them like, let me start nesting because I haven't begun that process and let me chill out, Like we worked NonStop for all.
Speaker 2: These years and we did good. We did great.
Speaker 1: So we did great. Take a break, take a break with the baby and how you and the other baby.
Speaker 3: And it's like my last month ever, that two months I have left that it'll be just me and my husband and our baby Riley.
Speaker 2: You know, now it's going to be like four of us.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on all your success. I mean, you're phenomenal. You're talented, you're clever, you're funny, you're cute as all get out. You are a role model for young women who because you know, I've followed you since you were a kid, and you give such positive energy to young women who might not feel comfortable within themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I do all this for my own therapy, you know, and then when it helps others, it's like, ah, cherry on top, you know, like that's amazing. I like how you're you're saying is how we could make the world a better place, one heart at a time.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And also like brains heal other brains. Doctor Drew told me that, and I loved that. I was like, yeah, therapy is great, and I like I like sharing my brain for other people to be like, oh my brain works like that too.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what's so sweet about dear future mama. You know you're you're addressing something that every human being who's here on earth came here through birth, every one of us, and yet there is your right so little information.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 4: It is crazy.
Speaker 1: There's more information about a Ford car engine, literally there's there's there's far more information about how to make your your Chevy get better gas mileage.
Speaker 4: Then there is about what to do if you have gestational diabetes or or postpartum depression, or the baby won't latch rite or whatever.
Speaker 3: Man. Yeah, I looked up like breastfeeding too, and all it said was it's really hard. And I was like, which part, Like, tell me specifically, it's it's like so many levels to it.
Speaker 2: I had no idea. I had no like I guess I didn't because it was COVID too.
Speaker 3: I didn't do like the classes that you can.
Speaker 2: Do and learn all this stuff.
Speaker 3: But like, I didn't know you pump me in the hospital. I was like, what are you doing? I'm not ready yet.
Speaker 2: They were like it's time.
Speaker 1: Oh see, I didn't. I never did so, but I my lactation specialist was my mom. She had her four kids and so she's just like do this and she.
Speaker 2: That's so nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she she was hands on so to speak, and uh it worked.
Speaker 2: My mom My sweet mama.
Speaker 3: She like, she's like, I think I had, saytion some diabetes, but I think it is because I drank a bunch of orange jues that morning and failed to test. And I was like what and she's like, yeah, they didn't really care though, like it was only a one pargnancy and I didn't have to do anything.
Speaker 2: I was like, why do I.
Speaker 3: Have to prick my finger and test my blood four times a day? And if I fail? I I'd like, I'm in twelvele like why it's like homework now and she's like, I can't remember. And I was like, well what was this Like She's like I blocked it out.
Speaker 1: And I was like, mom, so you're going to take some time with the baby. If you picked a name, you know it's a boy, yeah.
Speaker 3: And I never I was so like, I want gender neutral names and I want I don't ever want to name it after someone. I want them to be their own person, and I don't want to lay them to someone else, but this baby for some reason, we love like b names.
Speaker 1: Like, what would your name be, Meghan if you got to choose it?
Speaker 3: Did you ever think, oh my god, I never thought of that. I just thought of how I never loved Megan. When I hear my name, I feel like I'm in trouble. And I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: See when I hear my name, my full name, Delilah, I am in trouble because that was only used. My mother only used my name I when I was in trouble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's like I remember telling my label like they're like, what do you want the Grammy is to announce one day in the future, like dreaming. They're like, and the Grammy winner is And I was like, m Train and.
Speaker 2: They were like no, no, cool, cool cool. They're like, you will be Megan Trainer and I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll go with that. We'll run And now that would be it's a pretty famous name.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Got back to Megan's with the h is.
Speaker 1: Have you ever googled the most popular names and noticed that yours is like rising to the top? Now, no way, yes, way you can do that with the H having to comeback Wow, we're catching up with the one and only Megan Trainer, and I've got more questions for her. Let me first share some information with you about another sponsor. Without them, I wouldn't get to have these incredible conversations. I am so happy to tell you about my favorite cosmetic company, Laura Geller Beauty. There's so much to love about them, like all of their products are made for women who are north of forty. Let's start with their hydrate spackleed skin perfecting primer. It glides on to create the perfect base before you begin your makeup routine. Or they're tinted primers that are perfect on their own for a day that only needs a light touch, while the baked balance and brightened color correcting foundation self adjust to leave skin looking even flawless and beautifully radiant. I like to use it as a setting powder, and now they have even more beautiful shades in their modern classic lipstick collection, including the Light and Lovely Berry Bliss. I have my favorites and you can find yours at Laura Geller dot com. Well, I know you got baby stuff to pack and nesting to do. You've got nesting? What do you like? What are you going to do. Are you doing a baby room, are you doing a nursery, are you painting? Are you doing like decals on the wall? What are you what are you going to be doing?
Speaker 3: I'm setting up our bedroom, which I'm in a new house.
Speaker 2: Compared to when I had.
Speaker 3: Riley, it was all one floor, there was no stairs, and I had a sea section.
Speaker 2: I'm having a sea section this time, so I'm nervous.
Speaker 3: I gotta climb like a lot of stairs to get to my bedroom, so I think I'm gonna like stay there.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to like set camp up.
Speaker 1: You know, a little refrigerator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, te got dishwasher.
Speaker 2: I hope it works.
Speaker 3: I bought it on Amazon, a little dishwasher for all the bottles.
Speaker 2: So that was the worst part. It was just like staying up an extra hour to clean all the bottles. So I'm trying to maneuver that and like learn from last time. Also, I have on TikTok.
Speaker 3: There's so many great like if you type in like nesting or like what I need for a new baby, it's so good. All these moms are so smart and they have all these like carts. It's like carts.
Speaker 2: You can have our arts and crafts.
Speaker 3: But they organize like all their pumps and all their diapers and wipes.
Speaker 2: And I was like, and it's on wheels on like.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a big purse.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to He's like, where have you been? I was like, I'm nesting.
Speaker 1: Help me, help me go, get me some twigs. Dang it. In addition to your pregnant state and you're two year old and your book, Dear Future Mama, you have a new single out that folks can find if they they just need an extra dose of motherhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they want an extra uplifting, happy song. It's called mother And I wrote it when I was like three months pregnant. Nobody knew and I wanted something to follow me. You look, because that did so well and we were like, oh, oh, how do we follow that?
Speaker 2: And I have.
Speaker 3: Never sampled a song, and I sampled mister sammn. It sounds so good. And my little brother produced it with me. I'm a house with our buddy. And then for the music video, we we peaked. We did the best we did ever could and ever will do. We got Chris Jenner to lip sync and be in the music video with us and it was the best day of my whole life. And the videos like so perfect, and it was such a breeze. And she's the best, kindest person to work with and she gives the best gifts. And yeah, I love that song and I love the dance for it on TikTok and I love all the mamas having an anthem on TikTok too.
Speaker 2: They're so cute.
Speaker 1: I got to say when I watched it, and I went, is that really christ Jimmer?
Speaker 3: Like that? Oh?
Speaker 2: Like AI? Is that?
Speaker 1: Ai?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How? And then I went, I think that's really Chris Jenner. Oh my gods, that's Chris Jenner.
Speaker 3: Did I played it for like heads of YouTube, like personally went to them and played it. They didn't move a muscle or react, and I went, oh my god, it's Chris Jenner. And then they like, I think they didn't believe it too. I was like, that's really her?
Speaker 2: On set?
Speaker 1: How fun? How fun? Fun? The most fun thing you have got to do as a mama.
Speaker 3: As a mama is like take my kid to Australia and our hotel we could see the Opera House, which I haven't seen until I was an adult, and my little boy was like speech delayed, so we never talked. And then he was like, hi, opera House and I was like, oh, you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Be so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. So you must have showed him videos or pictures beforehand of the amazing architecture.
Speaker 3: You would have like little baby books that were like good Night Australia that our friend give us. And then yeah, we we would see it every morning. We were like opera House and he's like opera House.
Speaker 1: No, did he get to see a kangaroo?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah. We went to the zoo twice. We were there for two months, so we had to fill up the time.
Speaker 1: So he saw lots of kangaroos. How about EMUs ostriches? Like, how about any of the scary animals of Australia. They've got the scariest spiders and the scary stuff, scary stuff.
Speaker 2: We were like we could skip the spider one. We're you know, we were like, move on. But he got to feed a giraffe twice. That was cool.
Speaker 3: He loved it. I thought he'd be scared, but he did good. And then you know those yeah, those big birds that look like dinosaurs. He looked at that one and was like dinosaur, and I was like, yeah, there's a dinosaur walking among us.
Speaker 1: You want to know something crazy? I have three baby dinosaurs those big bird eggs, those EMUs in my living room right now. What I have? I have a pair of EMUs. I've had them for about fifteen years, and every year they lay a clutch of eggs and and we hatched them. We hatched three of them out in an incubator in my kitchen and now they're living in the living room until they get big enough to go outside. They look like dinosaurs. They are dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you literally live my dream life. Where do you live?
Speaker 1: I live on a fifty five acre farm in Washington State, and that's my dream.
Speaker 3: I always tell them. I was like, I'm going to run away and start my farm.
Speaker 1: I've got goats and chickens.
Speaker 2: I have fifteen children, and.
Speaker 1: Well I don't have that many children at home anymore. I've only got four kids at home. They've all grown and gone. But I've got twenty three grandkids and some of them live on the property. So there's goodness.
Speaker 2: But it's a party all the time, that's what.
Speaker 1: All the time, all the time, all the time. Yeah, every day, every day it's something new, it's a baby listing.
Speaker 2: They're going to be like, oh, she's going to do this now.
Speaker 1: You know what, Megan, here's what you do? You say, I'm I'm I'm got two months left. Are you in California for two Yeah? And I'm going to head up the coast. I'm going to go see my friend Elina. I'm going to meet her horses and her kids, and I'm going to find out where she got that baby zebra farm.
Speaker 2: It's excited.
Speaker 1: And then I'm gonna I'm gonna because I can hook you up with somebody I know where. There's some land in California.
Speaker 2: We love land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you can have horses and I have miniature donkeys and I've got goats. Life is good.
Speaker 2: Life is good. Life is good, my idol. Oh my gosh, there's my husband. I can't just tell them the plan, uh huh yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Megan Trainer, thank you for spending time with us. Congratulations again, and thank you for sharing with new mamas, young mamas all the information that I wish that we had all those years.
Speaker 2: Ago, and there's so much morese I gotta ride now.
Speaker 1: You have a fabulous day. Thank you, honey, thank you too, Dear Future Mama, The heartfelt and hilarious Guide for Expectant Mothers is available right now. We all know Megan tells it like it is when writing her music and this book this is no different. If you're experiencing or think you might ever be experiencing pregnancy, or you've got a daughter that's expecting, pick up a copy of this book. It's the real talk you want, hon us talk about pregnancy, birth, body image, and the newborn days from your bestie and Baby Riley's mom, Meghan Trainer, along with her own experiences. It contains expert insights from those who supported Meghan through her first pregnancy, including her personal trainer, her registered dietitian, her husband, and her obgyn. Importantly, it gives you permission to find the path the motherhood that's right for you and encourages you to ignore the judgment of others and free yourself from the shifting standards of pregnancy and motherhood. You'll be hearing her Newest Single Mother a lot too, and you'll catch yourself singing along because, like everything Megan pens, it's fun and just so damn relatable. Catch up with Megan on her official website megandashtrainer dot com, megandashtrainer dot com, and find her on social media. Whether or not you've ever been a mom or plan to be a mom, one thing's for sure, you wouldn't be here without a mom. Let's celebrate her and the gifts she gave to this world you this month and all the year through. I hope spring has put a spring in your step and you're enjoying all the beauty of this season. If you've ever been too busy to notice, I implore you to slow down, take a deep breath, and love someone