Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jettie and Hey Armstrong and Jetty.
Speaker 3: American shoppers are looking forward to Cyber Monday after shattering records on Black Friday. Adobe says consumers spent eleven point eight billion dollars online on Friday. That's up more than nine percent from last year. More than fifty five percent of those sales came through mobile devices.
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's jump into some of that stuff. We have long mocked Black Friday and Cyber Monday as completely made up things. Black Friday, going way way back, was that's when businesses finally went into the black for the first time for the year and it was never true, and then built sales around it. Now, the idea of contriving a day to try to boost commerce is not new. See everything, Halloween, Christmas, not the Jesus' Birthday part, but the Present's part. Just to everything, it's just to contrived, you know, Mother's Day, Father's Day, they're all just they try to convince us to spend money on a particular day.
Speaker 2: Well, and even if.
Speaker 5: There was a legitimate creation, like I think Mother's Day and Father's Day were efforts by nice people to pay tribute to family ties.
Speaker 2: But you know, two minutes later, it's like, hey.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, we could sell ties today, but so Black Friday that there. So they often try to slice it in such a way to come up with a record to get people exciting, which is fine, And that one it was online sales through mobile devices were up more than they have been in the past. Okay, as often happens, for whatever reason, people do most of their spending the first week in November, I mean, the first week of December, or the last week of December, or on Black Friday, or they decide whatever it just and then it evens out throughout the spending season because most people are gonna spend x amount, Right, whether you spend it the day after Thanksgiving or two days before Christmas, you're gonna spend roughly the same amount. So you gotta wait till the total numbers come in to decide whether or not it's been a good season in terms of retail. And you're looking at consumer confidence and trying to figure out the economy and all that sort of stuff. You can't figure out from three days after after Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: But so, what was the origin of cyber Monday?
Speaker 5: Joe, Well, Gladys, perhaps we can cast our minds back to the early two thousands.
Speaker 2: George W. Bush was the president, the War on Terror was raging.
Speaker 5: Good times anyway, everybody had crappy Internet connections at home, and so retailers in those early days of this century. Notice that you know our sales spike a little bit the Monday after Thanksgiving. It's probably because people are using their office internet connection to shop. And indeed, the term cyber Monday was coined in two thousand and five by the National Retail Federation. The reality of everybody having a super slow internet at home and good at work was over within weeks of the coining of that term, and it has been stupid ever since because people can shop wherever they want, whenever they want with their little supercomputer aka cell phone.
Speaker 4: Right, you can be sitting at your kids high school basketball game in the stands and shop just as easily.
Speaker 2: On your phone as you can at work or at home.
Speaker 5: So I like the term mobile device as opposed to what an immobile device? Am I using a mainframe in the scenario, or what a computer console like NASA back in the day. Now even my laptop is like an inch bigger than my iPads.
Speaker 2: I see cyber Monday is completely phony and silly.
Speaker 5: But if people offer sales on today because they think they have your attention, I suggest you take them up.
Speaker 2: On the offer.
Speaker 4: So I see Hassett, that's which which advisor is he to Donald Trump?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 4: On the economy, he's on Fox right now saying that the Black Friday spending was up under Trump, so the economy is good. That would defy the numbers we had right before we went on vacation. That people in terms of right track, wrong track, and all that sort of stuff. We're setting records constantly, people thinking we're on the wrong track and that their own personal financial situation is bad currently.
Speaker 2: But we'll see.
Speaker 4: We'll see how the spending is throughout the whole holiday season. Like I said, you gotta wait till the end to get an idea whether it was up or down. I'm not optimistic. Is expensive out there. As I just traveled across the country, I was constantly shocked when we would stop to eat order gas was the only thing because I live in California.
Speaker 2: Once you get out of California. The shocking news.
Speaker 4: Is oh my god, this this is what other people pay for gads. Yeah, but in terms of everything else, it's just oh my god. And I always say to the checkout person at the grocery store wherever, I'm a holy cow, it's eighty five dollars.
Speaker 2: And they say, I know, isn't it amazing?
Speaker 4: For these years, that's thirty times a day. Yeah, yeah, until we get used to that. I don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I do have a question about one news story.
Speaker 5: Let me just say this very quickly, having talked to several people from several different financial strata, there's much more caution in the air than extravagance.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not even close.
Speaker 5: So I would be shocked to hear that the holiday numbers turned out to be especially great.
Speaker 2: It would be it would be shocking.
Speaker 4: It would run against all the polling of how people feel about their current financial situations, right if it tends to be a like, a really big number.
Speaker 2: So we'll wait and see.
Speaker 4: There is one new story that happened while we were on vacation that I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I doubt Joe paid any attention to it, so I can't ask.
Speaker 4: Him, but I'll bring it up right after we tell you about this, which is really exciting. I am going to spend money on Omaha Steaks, There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Big fan of Omaha Steaks.
Speaker 4: My dad was in the cattle industry his entire life, so I know good steaks when I come across them. And Omaha Steaks are really really good steaks. And they got some good deals for you right now, and you should order it right away a big thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: By the way, we enjoyed Omaha Steak burgers. Oh Thanksgiving break, we had a house full of people here. Here's a pro tip for you.
Speaker 2: Get both the.
Speaker 5: Big burgers and the smash burgers, so you have big, beefyed burgers for people who love that and the smash burgers for people who want a little something smaller burgers for the jicks. Oh well, I wasn't going to say that, but right now during Omaha Steaks Sizzle All the Way sale.
Speaker 2: I like the name.
Speaker 5: You can get fifty percent off site wide at Omaha Steaks dot com. Plus you good folks get an extra thirty five off with the promo code Armstrong at checkout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's Omaha steaksdown dot com.
Speaker 4: Omaha Steaks dot com promo code are Armstrong at checkout terms ofply Sea site for details.
Speaker 2: But those are the best burgers I've ever had.
Speaker 5: And we would never tell you that these steaks are unless they're great. We both love steak Again. Say big on gourmet Gifts more holiday favorites with Omaha Steakes Omaha Steaks dot Com fifty percent off site. Why during the Sizzle All the Way sale extra thirty five dollars off with the promo code Armstrong at checkout terms apply Sea site for details, that's Omaha Stakes dot com code Armstrong.
Speaker 4: I don't like to pay attention to a lot of political stories when we're on the air, let alone when we're on vacation. So that's not exactly something I was digging into. But why did Marjorie Taylor Green resign? That was surprising to me.
Speaker 2: Least blind bad built, buts body that was a surprise to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, here's my assumption in k Well, first of all, do you know anything about it?
Speaker 2: I don't, No, I don't know anything.
Speaker 5: Although a number of folks who who I no one love, who are politically aware, were as mystified as you and I were, and we're all speculating and wondering.
Speaker 2: Nobody had a great theory.
Speaker 4: My main speculation would be, Oh, that reminds me of some audio we need to get. My main speculation would be, now that she's not aligned with Trump, and she's gonna get a lot of you know, a hate from the Trump crowd or whatever, she's like, I don't need this. And she'd been offered various very lucrative positions on boards or whatnot that you get to do if you're a high profile personality in politics. But I can make so much more money, My life will be so much easier. I'll be under the radar, nobody will know no or care who I am. I'm gonna go do that. That'd be my guest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's a bit of a whackadoodle, but I don't think she was born for politics exactly. The theory in the mainstream political analyst world is that she was gonna either resign or well or leave office early and run for governor of Georgia. And Trump and company had polls that said she would just get shealacked, she would get embarrassed, humiliated, and they shared that with her, and she got crazy but hurt about it and said, that's it.
Speaker 2: I'm taking my.
Speaker 5: Toys and going home. I don't know if I buy that she's an odd duck.
Speaker 4: But my main point remains that most of these people, when they're you know, a run out of office and embarrassed or worth, they go off to a job that pays way better and their life is much easier.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, agreed. Hey, just asn't a side Michael, play that clip you just played before just seconds.
Speaker 2: Ago, police blind, bad built bush body.
Speaker 5: That's Texas's own Jasmine Crockett, who is a crock herself and a con woman and a liar and a fraud.
Speaker 2: I had forgotten.
Speaker 5: I was reminded recently that she invented this whole giant Jesse Smolette thing where she got into she became a lawyer because she was a victim of a hate crime. Then it turns out it was completely fictional. Oh really, she's changed your story since Yeah, she's one.
Speaker 2: Of those people.
Speaker 5: Just oh, she is such a fraud and every says that's right, Margie with the last word there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: She is a great example of the modern social media driven instagrammer who dabbles as a congress person.
Speaker 4: So Donald Trump told the leader of Venezuela, you got to get out now with your family.
Speaker 2: Are you're gonna be killed?
Speaker 4: And didn't he said now, didn't put a time limit on it. And now he got even more troops and more boats close to the coast there. So what's going to happen there?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We ought to take a look at that at some point. That whole story, that's spicy. I'd say peace negotiations between Russia and Ukraine. Russia bombed to the hell out of Ukraine last night. To me, that's a here's what you can do with your peace dick negotiations that you know, middle finger to that, right. I don't know how else you read that. I definitely have to talk about being at the airport and sitting on planes on the tarmac for an hour, each plane sitting there for an hour. We need to do something about flying. It's a mess. It's they're punishing us, they're being mean to us. They're holding us hostage, is what they're doing. I was having my little fantasy of calling a police and saying I'm being held hostage against my will.
Speaker 2: Because I am I am being.
Speaker 4: Held hostage against my will for an hour. An hour is a long time to sit on the tarmac. Well, you got no case legally speaking. But you could go on the internet and get a hell of a GoFundMe going right, and then testified before Congress.
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 5: A brand come off on Instagram or something. I don't know, run for office all that anyway, Sell t shirts no shipping today at the Armstrong and Getty superstore. No shipping costs. By the way, not no shipping. We're not just gonna keep this stuff free shipping. That's what I was trying to free shipping Armstrong and Getty dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty big sea. No shipping would not be a great incentive. One day only, no shipping. You buy this shirt, you'll never get it.
Speaker 4: We just keep it solp somebody else, no shipping, sell it again, all right, stay here.
Speaker 3: Strong.
Speaker 6: Doctors are warning people to moderate their food intake and the weeks to avoid so called holiday hearts syndrome, which is an irregular heart rhythm caused by poor nutrition, and it's especially bad for Americans around the holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's President Day, Eastern Mother's Day, Father's Day, the fourth of July, Arbor Day, Labor Day, and Tuesday through Sunday.
Speaker 4: That's a decent point right there. We got a lot of various eating holidays that we enjoy, reasons to overeat, get together, et cetera. I had a conversation with my family when we are out at one place about portions, all wondering why they bring you three times as much food as you need to eat or even want to eat, and is.
Speaker 2: That necessary to keep customers?
Speaker 4: Does that really work on some sort of cycle logical level that I don't get. Would I ever if you brought me the appropriate amount of food? But I think, well, I'm not eating here again, the portions aren't humanious.
Speaker 2: Would I actually think that?
Speaker 5: I don't think I would, But I'm sure there's somebody in the restaurant industry who knows the answer to that question. I have a feeling that you know, if I'm going to prepare you a hamburger or normal sized hamburger and normal sized serving of fries that costs me x, I can add a like a third bigger burger and half again more fries for practically nothing, because so much of it is overhead and labor, not materials, and so you create the perception of value by you know, instead of for you know, nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: You get a reasonable portion, you get.
Speaker 5: An unreasonable portion, and it's fine me as the restaurant rit It's almost.
Speaker 4: Got to be subconscious though, because there's no way the ship sailed decades ago on the am I getting value for my money at the restaurant, I think because everybody.
Speaker 2: Feels like you can't weigh more than you can eat. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know the common man, Jack, not intellectual giants like yourself, but the common man.
Speaker 4: I don't believe there are very many people that think, wow, this burger the size of my head and five pounds of French fries is not an off. But I do think you're probably right. The cost for giving you that large amount is almost nothing, especially like my names. We were all joking about these pancakes. We went to this pancake place and these pancakes that were like the size of a manimal cover, and there were two of them, Like.
Speaker 2: Who's that for the whole table? They were like an eight of us.
Speaker 4: We could have all eaten some of her pancakes, but that cost literally two cents.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: To my point, Hey, the greatest haack I've come into is you, as the waitress, bring the food immediately, say can I get it to go container right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then then you cut it in a half, load it up.
Speaker 4: And then we got into the discussion of what percentage of food you take home from a restaurant ever gets eaten?
Speaker 2: All right, fairly low?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, we all do it because we feel better about it. I'll take this home, That's what I'll do, and then forget it or or take it back to It's.
Speaker 2: Better than jamming it down your gullets. Yeah, you just gotta leave it there. That's the whole thing.
Speaker 4: We're all designed to not waste the food, and it's hard to just leave it sitting there.
Speaker 2: You know I paid for it. Well, am I just gonna leave all that food sitting there?
Speaker 4: But I don't need to eat it, And.
Speaker 5: Your caveman anthropological soul says I might not eat for another week if the herd.
Speaker 2: Grows in the other direction. Huh, so I gotta eat? Well? They eating's good? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think that would benefit everybody if our portions were smaller. But I don't know what percentage of people would be on board with that. Bring me like that excize hamburger that I make at home, but at home, I don't make a hamburger that this figure around this tall.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: There's also the reality that young people, particularly young men, will hammer down a gigantic hamburger, for instance, and a gigantic servant serving a fries, so they might respond to, you know, giant portions.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I like a lot sure, there's research on us. I think about this a lot if I won the lottery.
Speaker 4: There's lots of different businesses I would try, just because I have questions about lots of these different things.
Speaker 2: Try meaning like try to get one up and going yeah and see if it would work.
Speaker 4: And one of them would be we're gonna serve you like normal portions of what people should eat, and it'll be a little less expensive, but we won't bring you eight pounds of fries just so you can throw them away or we throw them away or whatever.
Speaker 2: See if that works.
Speaker 5: You live in an area that has like sun city type developments around it, or a lot of retirees or what have you, You see that on the lighter side is a section of the menu.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's right.
Speaker 4: That's what I need to look at all the time, and I always forget to because at the moment when I'm ordering, I think I need a five pound chicken fried steak, right.
Speaker 5: Because your inner grizzly bear is still alive and well, but you're an old.
Speaker 4: Guy, come on, and that's why I'm I gained three and a quarter pounds over the holiday season one week, again, three and a quarter pounds. If I could keep this up the rest of the month, I'll I'll be a look pretty large again.
Speaker 5: I was up three point six pounds a day or two. I think that's good enough. I mean, all you have to do is put that peg up there. And if I lost the couple of pounds deliberately and a couple of days after that, I'm still the winner.
Speaker 4: I know you've got some financial stuff, economy stuff for us.
Speaker 2: I think that's good.
Speaker 5: Trilemma, Jack, have you heard about the trilemma?
Speaker 4: I think that's gonna be something that a lot of people are looking at during this month because there are some pretty negative economic numbers that came out right before Thanksgiving. When we were on the air, People's attitudes are sour about their personal financial situation, about the country's financial situation, and whether or not that shows itself to be true during this big shopping season is going to be a big news.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, I would agree. I agree with what you said earlier that I think people are leaning more toward a little scared, like this is all gonna blow up soon ish as opposed to optimistic.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you who should be scared, whoever gets elected president next I will explain.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, well, Gavin Newsom, all right, oh please, So stay tuned for that if you missed a segment at the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the ratings.
Speaker 1: People are consuming less news right now because they can't handle it. But what matters at this point is that we're losing the ability to talk to each other, losing civility, we're losing respect, and the public is looking this insane.
Speaker 2: To hell with all of it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear you yelling at each other.
Speaker 2: Interesting. That sounded like Frank once it was.
Speaker 5: Indeed, Frank LUN's talking about why people don't watch the news as much as.
Speaker 2: They used to.
Speaker 5: Although the youngsters are getting their news quote unquote on TikTok, which means they're getting Chinese propaganda and little else.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Interesting, and that's something we both were contemplating during the time off and coming back. How much of the so called news is actually just unimportant age baiting a lot of it and intentional controversy making for the clicks and for the fundraising and for.
Speaker 4: A very small percentage of society who's paying attention to it.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing I mean in talk radio, there are a lot of people who make a hell of a lot of money in the podcast world through doing that. There's a lot of money to be made. We just prefer not to. I think it's bad for your soul or on that to confer not to make money. That's an interesting No, I think you missed my point. Ah, So I read about the trying break at the trim alone.
Speaker 2: I just want to tell Michael because I know he's keeping track.
Speaker 4: Also, Yeah, we're now it's six straight weeks of no soap in the men's bathroom in the main stall.
Speaker 2: Michael, I don't know if you're keeping track.
Speaker 5: I will bring soap in six You got to scratch a hashmark in the wall like it's a prison.
Speaker 4: I feel like the main I'm talking the big stall where people do their main business.
Speaker 2: Right, that's it.
Speaker 4: You gotta have soap there. There's been no soap for at least a month and a half. It seems like a long time.
Speaker 2: This is not dignified. I'm bringing soap in bar up soap.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so here's a question. I can tell you it's absolute certainty. There was no soap in there, like the last week of September. Was it refilled at any point between then and now?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. It's okay, all right, So there you go months anyway? That awful?
Speaker 5: What does the building management do? Exactly? Let's just start here.
Speaker 2: What do you see as your jobs? Boy? So the trilemma, here's what it is.
Speaker 5: And I got this from a story that was called is America headed for a debt crisis? Look abroad for answers, and they highlight the pathetic and floundering British and French are valued allies since w W two days and they're talking about the obvious situation where they have mounting debt problems. But here's your trilemma. If you have too much debt. The bond market hates it. What do we care, you say to yourself, Well, that's how the US finances so much of it's spending right now is we borrow money, we sell bonds. And because it's the most safe bet on the planet that the United States of America will pay its debts, it's an extremely popular investment. The problem is, as that great confidence in our debt service gets shakier, the eels rise, the rates rise, the amount of interest we must pay rises. So it matters from a budgetary and tax point of view whether the bond market thinks, oh, it's perfectly safe, or whether they're starting to think.
Speaker 2: Man, they're running up a lot of debt.
Speaker 5: And then the second leg of the trilemma is the is the budget itself. I mean, you can't just spend yourself into oblivion, so you have to be willing to make cuts at some point or raised taxes. The third leg of the trilemma is the voters. And again they highlight voters in Britain, especially well France too, who have said essentially no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 5: No no, we want enormous welfare services and low taxes, which is absolutely idiotically unsustainable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Elon spoke to that a little bit during the break. He was on some podcasts talking about AI and robots and stuff, but he was asked about the whole doge thing and everything like that, and he said, basically, I'm out of the whole trying to fix the country game. He said, it can't be done, at least not in our current political climate. People just don't want to deal with reality. And he's a hand percent right. I can see how he waited into that and thought, Wow, people are just going to pretend this isn't a problem, or that you can get out of this situation without cutting programs right things wishing.
Speaker 5: Or magic beans or something like that. And I'm sorry I misstated the second leg of the trilemma, that is the economy. If you raise taxes to a confiscatory rate too high, you get a crush economic growth. As California, the high tax is the most hostile environment to businesses. Year after year after year, businesses are fleeing. If it weren't for AI, Gavin Newsom would be in stocks getting pelted with rotten tomatoes right now anyway. So you've got the pressure of the bond market, the economy and the voter, and the voter is in to a large degree the.
Speaker 4: Key legacy, and the voter is the most the only part you can really hope to have any effect on the other two with.
Speaker 5: Right, then we get bailed out, the United States get built, gets bailed out because people need dollars around the world to trade with. That is the the great trade currency of the world. That's not sustainable forever for a variety of reasons that I won't get into because it's long and it's boring and I only half understand it.
Speaker 4: But our.
Speaker 5: The dollar status is that must have global asset is declining. All right, Here's why I said the most frightened person in the world ought to be the next president of the United States. According to the re re rejiggered numbers, the Social Security Trust Fund will be broke in twenty thirty three. You remember when that year seemed really, really distant. Well, the guy or Gallo wins in twenty twenty eight is going to be in office, you know, barring some extraordinary turn of events, until until twenty thirty two. And if the trust me if Social Security is going broke in twenty thirty three, that discussion is going to dominate that term. And so between Congress and that poor son of a gun or daughter of a gun who's going to be president, they are going to have to make the utterly gut wrenching decisions to save social security or benefits are going to be cut across the board. And man, you want to talk about a political blood path and a reckoning with reality if we still have it in us, that's gonna be it.
Speaker 2: Hmm, I'll be fun to watch. Oh boy, Elon is right.
Speaker 4: The current political climate, that's a problem that they got in France in Britain is people just don't want to deal with reality. They It's amazing. I just I can't believe that the majority of people can't be convinced. Look, this is unsustainable and we got to do things different. All right, who's on board. Let's roll up our sleeves and get no, we're going to keep demanding a dollar seventy worth of government for the price of a dollar.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's worth repeating the founding pop as. The last thing they wanted was a democracy. They wanted a democratic republic, obviously, and that's you can use the term democracy accurately enough to describe that. But they knew a a lot of common people are too dumb or unwise to understand that the person telling them no, we can have low taxes and high spending forever is a liar and a panderer and is just telling you that because they want to have power to figure out where all that money flows, and a lot of people just don't get that. They also understood that mobs tend to get in moods and then do really really stupid stuff. But yeah, I think it's all gonna come down in the next term, next presidential term. So, speaking of criminals, not the kind under the Capitol.
Speaker 2: Dome, Oh I got.
Speaker 5: Them, but the common type on the streets. Simply save home security is so great for a couple of reasons. But number one, it's because simply save stops criminals before they enter your home. It's got AI cameras. They detect threats early. They alert the live agents, who can speak directly to the intruders.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? You're being wh If I were.
Speaker 5: You, I would leave before your window gets smashed, setting off your old alarm.
Speaker 4: I got my home broken into one time in my life, and it was during the Christmas season, many many years ago before I knew about simply safe or it existed. Now I feel a lot better every time I drive away from a house because I do have simply Safe set up at my home. It's quite the security since I got all the censors and the cameras and all that different sort of stuff, and you can get into it.
Speaker 2: It's not very expensive.
Speaker 4: About a dollar date and set it up yourself if you want to, or get help if you'd prefer, and there's no contract.
Speaker 2: That's how confident they are. It's simply safe that.
Speaker 5: You're going to like it better than the old systems and less expensive. And this month only take fifty percent off any new system. One of the best prices you'll see for simply Safe. Don't miss it it simply safe dot com slash armstrong again. Simply safe dot com slash arms strong. There's no safe flight simply safe.
Speaker 4: We got yet another word of the Year from a different organization. Oxford University Press has named They're Worthy to Year for twenty twenty five. I don't know if it's a word of a year. Pretty good word.
Speaker 2: Though, rage bait.
Speaker 4: Rage Bait's pretty good words kind of fits with what we were just talking about.
Speaker 5: Perfect lead into the article I came across on vacation I unwisely opened.
Speaker 2: I was intrigued.
Speaker 5: I was hooked by the click baity headline, and it pissed me off in the midst of.
Speaker 4: The holiday cheer. I will explain in moments, and you believe it was rage bait.
Speaker 5: And partly and also partly just a great distillation of what's wrong with social media in the Internet.
Speaker 2: It's the perfect example.
Speaker 4: So just to define rage bait, would it be like if you if you got a headline that you know, transboy dominates girls, track and field, they just know, Oh, you're gonna hate the reading about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sure. That's an example.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or anything including the word the name Trump for years and years and years in lefty media, Trump's latest outrage, that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Wait, will you see this? You thought it was bad before? Yeah, rage bait? Okay, what Joe mentioned. Oh and a congress person over the break gave quite a speech about how they all get rich. It was fantastic. I look forward to getting to in hour three, I hope you can stick around. As I was getting my coffee, I was reminded that the long tradition of my brother's giving me crap for putting cream in my coffee continued while I was around everybody for the holiday, as my brother if he could pass the cream, and he said, do you need some high heels with that? Also, yes, that sort of thing appropriate. Everybody looks down on me for putting cream in my coffee.
Speaker 2: Oh well, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: Interestingly, my youngest, my daughter, she needs to put cream in her coffee as a woman when she uses the Kurrig machine, but not my espresso machine.
Speaker 4: Oh really, because yeah, I put in there because otherwise just eats a hole in my stomach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, you know you don't want a hole in your stuff. So there.
Speaker 5: I was in a lovely mood, surrounded by family over the holiday week. My all three of our kids, both of my siblings, my dad, my brother's family were all in town for Thanksgiving week, partly because, as I mentioned earlier, my dad's eighty fifth birthday was Thanksgiving Day, and we celebrated lavishly and also played eighteen holes of golf at age eighty five, My brother and my dad and I played.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, he's obviously not the player that he used to be in all and gets annoyed about it. Evidently that continues till the end of your life. Golf is really annoying.
Speaker 2: But it was eighty five. You're like, how could I hit that shot? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah exactly. I'm like, Dad, this is incredible. It is a blessing. He's like, I just keep shoving it to the right. What the hell's going on here? Am I wind up wrong?
Speaker 2: Who cares? That's hilarious?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: I know it's something, isn't it so? Anyway?
Speaker 5: But here there, I wasn't just such a lovely frame of mind, ignoring the news more or less.
Speaker 2: And I so come to I don't know why, to the temptation.
Speaker 5: I think it was Satan himself who said, take a look at.
Speaker 2: The New York Post. Why don't you see what they're ragan about? Why didn't you see if there's something that you want to click on?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 2: Boy? And so I opened the New York Post app for some reason.
Speaker 5: There's this article Aaron Andrews fires back at sports personalities after holiday comments backlash.
Speaker 2: And I violated a sacred rule.
Speaker 5: Any journalism about internet arguments is not journalism.
Speaker 2: It's crap.
Speaker 4: I wish everybody I wish the president would give an Oval office address about this. Any news story built around a couple of comments on social media, those people should be drummed out of journalism.
Speaker 5: Right, But it was the spirit of it that pissed me off so much so. Aaron Andrews, the longtime female reporter, sideline reporter et cetera.
Speaker 2: Does very good job.
Speaker 5: She was doing a podcast that I'm not familiar with. She was the guest and they were talking to her about her career and they asked her, and this isn't made clear at the beginning of the article, I think to draw you into the rage bait, they asked her for young girls or or young women who are thinking to get thinking about getting into your line of work, what are some of the things they don't know about it?
Speaker 2: Some of the downsides? And one of the things she said.
Speaker 5: Was, well, you miss a lot of holidays that you'd like to be home with your family, but you're on the road and you're doing your job.
Speaker 2: Okay, simple as that. Well you got this.
Speaker 5: Jenna Lane, who's a reporter covering the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for ESPN, ways in saying saw Aaron Andrews remarks about the challenges in this business above starting at a low age and not having holidays. I appreciate what she's trying to say, but let's consider the folks working two to three jobs in retail, in warehouses, and in the service industry right now, just trying to make ends meet. They're not getting time with their families either. Oh my god, your life would be a dream for them. I mean, let's keep this in perspective. Let's have some perspective.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: And then you got hack loser Trey Wingo, former NFL host back in the nineties at ESPN. That's literally what they pay you for, he posted on X because You've got to be angry, including a headline about her remarks. Aaron said it herself once, they pay you for the traveling sacrifices, because doing the games is the fun part. And these people just what bothers me the most about it is how obvious it is that they're just saying, look at me, look at me, I'm morally superior to Aaron Andrews. What about the poor working people? I got a question for you, halfwits. If Aaron Andrews was in a car wreck and broke her leg in two places and the pain was horrible. Can she say the pain is horrible? Or would you say, how about a little perspective?
Speaker 4: Are Yeah, how about a single mom who has to work the night jift to Denny's.
Speaker 2: She knows what pain is.
Speaker 5: If her like broken two places, she'd be having pain and she's gotta go work at denny.
Speaker 2: So want's to have a little perspective, Jennal? Or what's your erin?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you people are perth pathetic. Boy, God, your need to be morally superior to somebody is so bad you actually go with a criticism that bad. She's telling little girls, Look, you're gonna be away a lot. You've got to travel, You're gonna miss your family.
Speaker 2: Oh about a little perspective.
Speaker 5: Oh god, that just pissed me off, and I thought, what are you doing? Look you get the internet, you idiot, Go deal with the people in your life who are actually there, which reminded me of one of my you know, my vows that I have to renew every now and again. I hate the expression touch grass because it's gotten such it's such a cliche. But make your life your life. The people you actually see and talk to and deal with interact with, do business with, play sports with, not everybody online, that's not your life.
Speaker 4: I saw somebody write eloquently about this sort of news story where they grab two comments, often not even you know, well known people like in your case, just random comment ers on social media, and they build a story around it that needs to be outlawed. And I'm a free speech guy that needs to be outlawed. But too many people fall forward. And sometimes I'll click on a story and then I'll get halfway through it and think, wait a second, is the only thing to this story is Jim and Omaha said something mean on Twitter about this thing.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's the whole story that ed in Miami had said, fright right, God, that's the worst journalism out there. We need to do better.
Speaker 5: As a completology Controls waded in and said sarcastic things.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: The Internet did not like this person's version of the national anthem, and they'll pick two random cults from people and build a story around it. We got to stop doing that. It's the consumer that drives it. Though you read it, they know how much time you spent on the article. They got the algorithm.
Speaker 5: Uh so to two final points about this. Number one, I'm a little surprised that Aaron Andrews dignified that jackass a couple of comments with responses, but she also took aim at NFL News aggregator Dove Climan, who I've never heard of in my life, whose headline was Andrews.
Speaker 2: Under heavy fire for her holiday's remarks under heavy from losers online? Who cares? Oh, my lord is to break out of this?
Speaker 5: I don't know if there is no I was just gonna say, can you get a shot or something that it's well, it's like the we GOVI is in the other weight loss drugs where you look at food and thinking nah, I don't need that. I need a shot, where I see a headline like that and think, eh, that's stupid. Just pass it.
Speaker 4: HM. One way too if you're under heavy fire would be to ignore the heavy fire from random losers. If you missed a seconment of the podcast ARM showing a yety on demand good stuff planned for hour three, be there, strong and