Speaker 1: Episode four ninety, The Beginner's Guide to Zero based Budgeting.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and liver a your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we are talking about zero based budgeting and how we would like to kind of shape it and form it around values based spending and all of the spending psychology that we talk about on the show and then also in our book Bye We Love That Going Broke.
Speaker 3: There can be a lot of these terms used in the personal finance space about different ways to pay off debt, different ways to budget, and it can feel so confusing. So we're just breaking down one particular method to budgeting. Spoiler alert, they're all pretty much the same. Some of it just has to do with the type of approach, mindset, the ways in which you kind of manipulate the numbers.
Speaker 4: But we'll get into all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But first, this episode is brought to you by Miss Frizzle, my favorite childhood guide to the world of all of the sciences. If you also loved The Magic School Bus or you just like the idea of a fun guide on typically boring subjects, Let us be your miss Frizzle through our YouTube channel. We're making frugal fun and money management shame free and approachable with a new series weekly called the Sunday Reset, where we are recapping our week of meal plans, we are talking about a money move that we made that week, and we're answering a listener questions. It's like all of our favorite things combined into a short thirty mon and it's every single Sunday. If this sounds like exactly what you need, subscribe to Frugal Friends podcast on YouTube and you can watch our first episode that just went live this past Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Frugal Friends podcast dot com, slash YouTube or just search Frugal Friends on YouTube. It is very fun and so I'm very excited. And you'll also see the link in the description on YouTube if you want to submit your own.
Speaker 3: Question and you'll get to see our new studio sat up.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we are so excited to bring you guys more video to show you guys our face more in twenty twenty five. And we just think that YouTube is going to be a way that we can help more people in a new way. So there's going to be more to come on there, not just us sitting down and talking to each other. Even though we know you guys would like that, We're not going to stop there. We can do more, so many more?
Speaker 4: Ye do more?
Speaker 1: Well, we could do more.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty five. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: If budgeting is something that you want to get better at, then we have a lot of episodes on quote unquote budgeting. We also call it a spending plan, so whatever you have fewer negative feelings about, you can call it whatever you like. It's more or less the same thing. We also have some other episodes like four seventy one Budgeting Tips for twenty twenty five and then episode four forty four Try this Japanese Art of mindful Budgeting. I really like that one, so I would really encourage you all. You can pretty much just like search Japanese art mindful Budgeting Frugal Friends and it will come up for you in any podcast player. So let's get started with zero based budgeting and by first defining what it is. So, zero based budgeting is a type of budgeting where essentially you are just spending one hundred percent of your income on paper, and so that has a.
Speaker 4: Not on buying paper.
Speaker 3: If you were where.
Speaker 1: You are basically done der Mifflin and you are buying one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Paper that's all you need.
Speaker 1: Or on an app. But it's essentially you calculate your income and then one hundred percent of that gets spent in some way, shape or form, and everybody is essentially creating a zero based budget. If you're living paycheck to paycheck, congratulations, you are already zero based budgeting, right. If you're not going into debt, then congratulations.
Speaker 3: So here's how it works before we kind of get into the exact how tose like. The framework is what we want to describe here. And they talk about in this article imagining your finances like a puzzle where every piece or every dollar kind of has a place to go and they fit together. They use the word perfectly, and I'm going to say, you're never ever going to make a perfect budget.
Speaker 1: Well, that is one of the downsides to zero based budgeting because it does lean to this perfection mentality. So if you cannot spend your money perfectly in the way that you have allotted it all, then it can lead to some of that guilt and shame cycle with quote unquote like busting your budget or overspending and all of that, which is why we don't love the traditional view of zero zero based budgeting. It If I say zero's based budgeting one more time, you don't know how many times we've had to re record me saying zero's based budgeting. If you can take away that perfection mentality or that all or nothing mentality and create a zero based budget that's a little more flexible, yet still zero based, this is going to work a lot better for you.
Speaker 3: And so the thing that I like most about it is that you are assigning a job to every dollar. I think that's kind of the banner overarching what is this approach? And so some of the parameters with this is that you are starting fresh each month. Every month is kind of a clean slate, regardless of whether you were over or under in a category the previous month. So I think that is a redeemable quality of zero based budgeting in that every month is new and fresh. It allows you the opportunity to shift kind of what your categories look like. But every month you will be saying where every dollar is going to go, of course, like all budgets and spending plans, it's going to include looking at your income, but not just the amount of money you make from your job. All of the money that you are bringing in in the month, from freelance work to side gigs, to bonuses to gifts that you might receive. We're taking it all into account while also listing out all of the expenses, so what you anticipate that month is going to look like, from subscriptions to take out to activities, to utility bills and mortgage. There's nothing that is too minor or kind of overlooked. Now that doesn't mean that you have to have such specific categories for all of these things. You know, Jen and I love a very simple, minimal, minimal spending plan where we don't have categories for like every single minutia of where our money goes, so you can still be kind of broad with it, but where typical budgeting practices are kind of going to say, list out all of your expenses, make sure you can cover that, and then it's kind.
Speaker 4: Of loosey goosey with whatever you do that's left over.
Speaker 1: We've got a free for all amount of money that's not it doesn't really have a place to go, and.
Speaker 3: Maybe you'll discover at the end of the month how much you ended up having left over. This instead is being a lot more concrete with that of with this money beyond what my bills cost me. This is how much I'm putting towards savings, This is how much I'm going to invest, This is how much is going to go to an emergency fund or debt payoff. So being really specific about what the excess might be and where each of that excess is going.
Speaker 1: This is what I thought traditional budgeting was. This is my first foray into budgeting was zero based. I didn't know that there was anything different, And I think if I had known that this wasn't actually traditional budgeting, the traditional budgeting did have that kind of like Lucy Goosey excess at the end, I would have felt more permission to maybe have like a larger miscellaneous fund or a larger slush fund or something like that, to have maybe a little less rigidity in my zero based budget. So next is we're going to give some examples.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it is worth talking a little bit more about the differences, because I still think that there's some more to tease a part here between zero based budgeting and traditional budgeting, and I really like the example that they gave here. So where traditional budgeting will often use the previous month or year as a template, making minor adjustments based on anticipated changes, they give an example of So let's say we spent five hundred dollars on groceries last month, we might think similar this month. Okay, put five hundred dollars down as the amount that I'm going to spend on groceries. And that is fine, and that can be easy and simplified and efficient. But zero based budgeting is getting a little bit more to the nitty gritty, and it's probably especially really good for those of us in debt payoff or who have specific financial goals that we really want to tackle, maybe in like the shorter term or midterm, and zero based budgeting might ask the question, Okay, five hundred is how much I spent last month, but what about this month?
Speaker 4: Does that actually make sense?
Speaker 3: What if I did for eighty on groceries and assigned twenty dollars towards my emergency fund or twenty dollars towards debt payoffs. So it's being more specific with the numbers and finagling it a little bit more to be able to achieve some of those goals. Yeah, and assessing month to month. Yeah that made sense last month, but does it still make sense this month?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think a trap we can fall into in zero based budgeting is that we will give ourselves maybe too many categories or the specificity of it will be making us or leading us to spend money that we don't necessarily need to. So clothing is a common budget category that many people suggest having every month, But do you need a clothing category? And would you be buying clothing because it's normal to have a clothing category and it's zero based, so we have to start at zero every month, whereas a traditional budget would not always include that, but maybe have a larger slush fund that clothing could fall into, or we could create our own flexibility in creating a clothing sinking fund that does not have to be spent every month, but still creates a zero based budget. And maybe we're only buying clothing like four or five six times a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think with traditional budgeting we might not always be aware of any excess dollar that we have that like, okay, if I spent, you know, four ninety on groceries instead of five hundred, Like where did that ten dollars end up going?
Speaker 4: What are we doing with this? Now?
Speaker 3: I will say I'll skip ahead of myself a bit and say, if this is the method we're taking, I do think an app would be the best with this methodology, so that we don't have to be so intense about like, Okay, well, how much to the penny did I end up spending here?
Speaker 4: And where can I put that money?
Speaker 3: Like there is a way that we can become so engrossed in this particular method that I don't want us to get so sucked in that it's consuming.
Speaker 1: And this is where the problem lies with couples is that one person's going to be very into the zero based budget because it's something concrete you can hang your hat on. Every dollar has a job, and the other person is going to want to be less rigid, a little more loosey goosey.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so this is something you definitely have to be aware of if you are finding that your partner is not as interested in the budget, or maybe you're listening and you want to be as excited about the budget as your partner. Is, but you're just not getting it, and so this is some times the reasoning behind that. All right, let's walk through how to make a zero based budget and the different ways that you can customize it. So one of the main characteristics of the zero based budget is that you start fresh every month. Each month is a clean slate, regardless of whether you were under or over in any category the last month. You start anew And that's a really great benefit of a zero based budget because you are never You're never going to make a perfect budget and perfectly stick to it, and so our mind bias for being all or nothing can sometimes lead us to quit and try to start again fresh the next month, which the zero based budget kind of lends itself to. But if you are moving more towards a balanced approach to budgeting, where you're taking in your inconsistencies and your quote unquote mistakes and trying to live with those, you you kind of do get this like fresh start in the month. So I'll say the first part that I like to customize on a zero based budget is I like to take a wine ab approach to saving a month's worth of either income or expenses and having that saved in your checking account ready for the next month, so you're not necessarily starting at zero in your in your bank account, because that's a that's a dangerous thing to do with a zero based budget. When you're quote unquote spending every dollar and part of that is going to savings outside your checking account, you can get really low in your checking account, and if you've got bills coming in on the first if you don't get paid on like just the right day, that could be dangerous. So what I really and I have always done to prevent this, and what I recommend, is that you save a month's worth of expenses, like whether that is you want to do your whole income, because you also consider your savings and investments, your expenses, whatever feels right to you. But you need to have a foundation to start the month off of, even if your budget is starting fresh at zero.
Speaker 3: And wine app is you need a budget, and that is a budgeting app who bases their app on zero based budgeting. And so that's one of the things that they say. You don't want to make a budget off of what's about to be earned, but what you've already earned, what you already have. And I think this approach is especially great for people with variable incomes. You don't totally know what's going to come in month to month, and so being able to approach it with what do we already have in the bank account and making sure that we always have a month's worth of cushion in our checking account that we are making plans for with that money. And then from there you're going to be identifying all of your monthly expenses, the things that you absolutely have to be paying for, your big ticket items, rent, mortgage, utilities bills, your cell phone bill, all these things. Then you can think of your subscriptions and memberships, and of how much you spend on entertainment and activities and dinner out. Those are the categories that can be massaged. Those are not fixed categories. And you can look at bank statements to kind this is your ninety day transaction inventory that you can look back at to kind of understand what is the average amount that I've spent, so that you can start with an idea, but again month to month we can show to this, and then from there you're assigning where every dollar.
Speaker 4: Did you talk about income?
Speaker 1: I think okay, okay, so yeah, we've got our start fresh assess all of your income, so freelance, work side gigs. This is even like child support, alimony, all of those different things than expenses. And now we are massaging. So for a lot of people you will be in a like kind of a traditional budget sort of place where now you have this extra money that you get to decide where it goes. For some people that will be a substantial amount of money, and for some people it will be very little. It's all okay. The amount of expenses you have does not dictate how good you are with money or how capable you are at reaching financial goals. One of the things that I love about the zero based budget is that it is a very powerful tool when you have a specific financial goal that you are looking to achieve as quickly as possible. So that I think is the zero based budget's real like diamond quality, is that it is very good for reaching particular financial goals as quickly as possible. And it's this step right here is designating every dollar. So if you have if you feel good about where your expenses have gone, and now you have this extra, now we get to assign it to other places. So if you've already prioritized your goals first. Then maybe we get to add more to fun places or to sinking funds for fun things if you prioritized your fun first. Now we get to designate this to different goals, and honestly, I think we would I both say let's talk about let's designate goals first. We're looking at our bills obviously our foundational expenses, and then looking at goals because we can get in this very maybe like toxic cycle of this I deserve mentality. And we've talked about this before, We've done a whole episode on it. But we don't believe that we deserve or are capable of doing big things financially, whether it's because we never have the people around us haven't the people who we do see doing these things we might judge for some reason, and we don't want to be judged by others in turn, and so we will settle for smaller things because we're like, yeah, I definitely deserve these fun things, these small fun things, dinners out coffee. You know, I know I have enough self worth to think I deserve the things. But we don't know what it's like always to get these bigger things that you have to save for or invest for And so I would encourage everyone to, if you're not putting money towards your financial goals first, to start their first and after a while, you'll the more you save and the closer you get to reaching these goals, the more you will believe that you deserve and are capable of bigger things than you realized. And so we can't do that without creating this action based habit, like these are the actions that we have to do every month, sometimes every week to form these mental beliefs. Like you can't just say, like, oh, you deserve to be able to take a family vacation every year and then you believe it. That's not the way it works. If I tell you something about yourself, you're not going to just believe it. You have to You have to take actions every month to start to believe these things about yourself. And these are one this in this budgeting, the order in which you designate your dollars is one of those small actions that you can do every month to gain that self confidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's why it is such a good approach for people who are beginning or like we've already said, have these very specific goals that you want to get after because you can see progress towards it pretty quickly when you're so involved with where your money is going and being able to adjust and kind of get excited if you see that, oh, I've actually underspent in this category, which means I've got these few extra dollars I can put towards this thing that I've said that I want to be investing in. And it also gives room for if we overspent in a category, that we can look at other categories and say, okay, well, then what can I decrease as a result. I might have spent more on groceries this month, but I haven't spent all of my miscellaneous budget. So I'm going to decrease that a little bit and just be aware of, you know, not buying as much in that category for this month, and then we reset again next month.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I also want to talk to the other half of our audience that now has put all their money towards their savings goals, their debt, payoff all of this, and now are feeling guilty about the money in these smaller categories, these fun categories. You don't want to put your extra money towards fun things. You want to just put more of it towards debt payoff. And so in a season, that is good. If you're looking to pay off your high interest debt in this season, that's a really good mentality. It's hard to tell when you've gotten out of that season, though, because there's always another financial goal to reach, and frugal people, for some reason are always looking to be as efficient with their money as possible, to the point where we fear spending money on small luxuries. We fear putting more money into the clothing budget so that we can buy more sustainable goods or higher quality secondhand goods, because what if I need that money in my retirement account. I don't know what my medical bills are going to be like in my sixties, and what if I need this money to be saved, right, And so so now I'm talking to you. Now you feel seen, all right? We really don't know how much time we're going to get on this earth, right, And so the beautiful thing about a budget is that you get to make the most of every month. Life isn't happening to you. You you are happening to life. So how do you want to show up for life in this one month that you get, you will never get this month back. How do you want to live it? Because if you've set these really good foundations into place, and if you've created these really good habits, you can be sure that everything will fall into place as it should be in the future. But what are you going to do about this month? So these are I'm talking to two different camps in our audience, So don't get it twisted. You know where you are, you know which camp you need to you know you need to be in.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had this conversation recently with a friend about kind of identifying enough and how hard that can be to know. We might have set a goal, we reached that goal, but then the goalpost can move. Yeah, it feels as though, well, was I accurate about that? Now I've got all of these other possibilities that I'm concerning, concerned about out and want to risk, assess and adjust for, and it can be really hard to not continue to move that goal post and sit in what we have previously identified is our enough. But that's also tough to say because these things do shift. What was enough to budget for eggs five years ago is not enough now we do have to create space to shift these things, but also have a really good pulse on this is going to be satisfactory for this category. I have maxed out what I need to be putting there, and I can move on to the next goal that I have. And the next goal doesn't have to be the wisest, most efficient thing. It can be that I do really want to spend on this quality product that is going to make my cooking in the kitchen better more effective, or this thing that I want to invest in my business, or this trip that I want to take with family if we're not going into debt for it. We have accounted for some of these other goals. We've been able to identify where is enough, where is our contentment that there is permission to, like, not be the most frugal, the most efficient with every single dollar as well. So they go on to give an example of zero based budgeting. I think we kind of get it at this point, but just to drive it home, let's say that we've got a monthly income of four thousand dollars take home. That would mean that we are assigning the different categories. So in this example, this person's rent is twelve hundred dollars. They've set groceries at four hundred, utilities at one fifty, entertainment dining out and shopping at three hundred, transportation at two hundred, student loan repayments at five hundred, emergency saving contributions to fifty, and just regular savings a thousand. Maybe that's investing all of that, Yes, does equal four thousand dollars. Now that's a nice clean example. Chances are we bring home a much more uneven number than that and change. And so even with that, we are going to be very specific to the dollar with how much goes into each of these categories, and again month over month and even within the month, assessing okay, maybe we're getting close to the end of the month and we're seeing we only spent fifty dollars of our one hundred dollars dining out category. What is going to be the plan with that extra fifty dollars. Is it just going to go to another category or is it going to go to one of these more mid to long term financial goals. But again, keeping that steady pulse on it to be able to assess where it's going to go. And as you've seen, there's pros and cons here.
Speaker 1: M So some of the pros. We've got full financial awareness, so this is really good if you are just starting out. Even if you don't want to zero based budget long term, it is a very good method for people starting out because you get a full financial awareness. So we've talked a lot about the zero based budget and we haven't mentioned the ninety day transaction inventory by some miracle, but oh.
Speaker 3: You did talk about it. It made its way in here. Jen's been also multitasking. We'll tying run does we'll talk about it later.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it later, Okay, full financial awareness. Once you do the ninety day transaction inventory, you will get a picture of where you have been and what has created your habits, and while you are zero based budgeting, you will get to see those habits in action. And I recommend when you're starting out at least maybe for the first month. Probably doesn't make sense to do it longer than this, but tracking your transactions in real time day so maybe not in real time, but keeping track of your transactions every day manually. So I love Monarch. It keeps track of my transactions automatically, but it's not what I would recommend if you are just starting out today. You need to be really fully aware of everything that's going on. Do this for a month and it'll give you a lot more clarity. Another one of the pros, it says flexibility. So the monthly reset allows for adaptability. Lean into that flexibility, because sometimes we can make it rigid when it's actually designed to be flexible. I would say the flexibility you feel on the first of the month when you're making the budget, keep that with you for the whole month. So when you need to change, when you need to put some more into one category and take away from another, don't feel like you're doing that out of inadequacy or failure, but believe that you are being fluid with the budget as life is fluid. And create a larger slush fund, a larger miscellaneous fund. Don't be so rigid with the categories either, because that will help you not have to change over as much money between categories throughout the month. And then again, it's goal oriented. You've got a clear picture of your income and expenses and you can more easily set and reach your financial goals.
Speaker 3: And like we've said, some of the cons can be how time intensive it is. This is certainly not a set it and forget it type of budgeting approach. It requires a good deal of oversight and adjustment, again, which is why we recommend it for people starting out or who have intensive money goals, and there is the potential for overdoing it. When you are placing an emphasis on literally every singular dollar, you can become quite preoccupied with the details, and that can be really mentally taxing in the long run. So this isn't even necessarily what needs to be done long term. It could be what the approach that's taken initially to really get a good handle on budgeting so that we can then incorporate even greater levels of flexibility in the future. But you know what, doesn't have any cons to it?
Speaker 1: What single the con? The only con is that it ends.
Speaker 3: It's the bill of the week.
Speaker 2: That's right, It's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage, maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Duck bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 5: Hi ladies, my name is Brenna. I live in Ohio. I'm a fairly new listener to the podcast, but I've been catching up very quickly on all of your episodes and I absolutely loved the show. I wanted to share my Bill of the week today. I'm super excited because I get a total high out of saving money and finding really good deals. My husband tells me that's my superpower. So today I was able to pick up my son's dream toy for Christmas, which is a Jurassic World mosa Saurus brand. Knew this toy would cost sixty five dollars. However, I was able to find it on Facebook Marketplace from a local woman who was just cleaning out toys that her kids didn't play with anymore. I was able to score it for fifteen bucks. Not only did I get the Mosasaurus, but I also got the giant Indominus res which any other moms out there have kids who are obsessed with dinos would note that this giant Indominus Rex cost one hundred and seventy five dollars new So I got the mos saurus and the Indominus Rex and two t rexes all for fear of teen bucks. Super excited. My son is gonna absolutely love his Mosesaurus and the Abdominus Rex I'm setting aside to give to him for his birthday next year. So that's my big bill of the week and my mom win that I'm flying high off of today because I saved so much money on getting these toys.
Speaker 1: Brenna also like pro mom saving one of the toys for the birthday, So pro that is.
Speaker 4: Such a pro move.
Speaker 3: There can be the temptation to just give it all all at once, but to realize we don't need it all at once. Parameters are good for us. Limitations are good for us in budgeting and in play, And it.
Speaker 1: Makes the one thing that you're getting more special. The more things you get, the less special each thing is individually. And so if we want something to be more special, we cannot surround it by more stuff. So good job, Brenna.
Speaker 3: You saved hundreds and we're here for it. And you bought used and we're here with that too. If you all listening have a bill that you want to submit to us, if it has to do with pro mom moves or your superpower of paying less or buying secondhand or spreading out gift giving throughout the year, or your name is Bill and you want to tell us what your life is like. Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill can't wait to hear it. And now it's time for.
Speaker 4: The lightning round.
Speaker 1: What's the best thing you've ever budgeted? Form Jill Travel? Of course know it.
Speaker 4: I'm a millennial, but it is true for me. I love it.
Speaker 3: I just bought last minute tickets to Puerto Rico. Friends of ours texted us saying that they have an airbnb for the whole month and if we want to come visit them, we'd have a free place to stay and plane tickets were inexpensive. But I also have a sinking fund for travel that I can just use at my leisure and we were able to say yes because we had the money. And I loved spending the money on that. As much as I don't love seeing an account with money in it drop, knowing what it's going towards. It is a category. I feel shamefree, guilt free about nice.
Speaker 4: How about you?
Speaker 1: I would say The first thing that comes to my mind was when we saved to buy the house that we live in now. We had originally saved to buy an investment property and just did not We're not competitive with all the cash buyers. So what we had to do was buy a house and then and live in it. And now we rent out our original house, which was not what I wanted, but I can see that the two miserable years of renovations and the moving and it will pay off financially. It kind of just came to that conclusion because the house we bought is large, so we've been renting out a back portion, and it's also on a double lot, so we have a vacant like also land, so we essentially have where our house that we live in, two rentals and vacant land. So that was really a good financial move. I am putting it into perspective now as much as I actually don't like being a landlord, eventually it will pay off.
Speaker 3: So you're saying, when you had budgeted for this additional property.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we budgeted and we saved up for it for I think two years to put a down payment on essentially, So yeah, I'm going to say that it's not exciting, but it is like relevant right now.
Speaker 3: Well and in the long term, that's that's a big deal. Like not only did you receive something that you have value for now, but it's kind of that, what's one thing you can do now that makes other things easier on this the future, Like having budgeted for that is massive for your overall kind of like retirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially now because we're making a lot less than what we were when we saved for that house. We could not do that now a because we're making less and because the homes are the interest rates are just too high. But we did buy at the top of the market. But still we're going to make out okay. So that I think is the thing that it's not sexy, but I think in a few more years i'll be.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think happy idea real estate investing is sexy. It's one of the most sexy things that people are doing in the personal finance space.
Speaker 1: I guess it's not correct though. Yeah, no, no, you won't hear that from me. All right, Thank you so much for listening. We love, love love reading your kind reviews of the show and of our book by What you Love Without Going Broke, And this one is about the book. It's from Stephanie five stars What I Love About The Frugal Friends podcast also shines through and buy What you Love Without Going Broke it's sitting around with a group of friends who are passionate about financial wellbeing, but you are excited to listen. Let's face it, reading about finances sounds a little dry, but Jen and Jill have a way of making it relatable while driving your curiosity to really delve into understanding how to better manage your money to fit the values you've prioritized your life. I was blessed with an Advanced reader copy, but sometimes the ADHD wins, so grab the audible version of the on the release date and walked around my yard and the grocery store until I finished the fact that I picked up and put down a planner in the aisle of shame at Aldie, only later to reach the passage about well intentioned but unused planners is not lost on me. I'd recommend this book to anyone who's trying to wrap their head around their finances, wants to get there with your every day and wants to get there with your everyday kind of people who may never be billionaires, but may want to fund a billion memories instead.
Speaker 4: Happy reading.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good, that's shute, Stephanie.
Speaker 3: Thank you a thoughtful review, and thank you for also getting the audio book.
Speaker 4: We've been getting a.
Speaker 3: Lot of good feedback about the audio book. I mean, I think people are accustomed to hearing your voices, so being able to hear us read the book in our own words, we're getting some fun feedback on that, so we'll love it. If you you also have not picked up a copy, please do so. Wherever you get the book, we hope that it will help you in similar ways as it helped Stephanie, and probably in your own individualized ways. So thanks for reading, thanks for listening, if you like both. If you like either, please take a minute to leave a rating and review of the show wherever you're listening and wherever you purchase the book. It helps new potential listeners and readers figure out if this is going to be for them, and just grow our community with more of you people who loves this shamefulle fun, approachable take on.
Speaker 4: See you next time.
Speaker 1: Gorugle Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni.
Speaker 4: All right, come clean, Jen.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll just say I didn't want to record this episode till I was done, and Jill essentially forced me to. So if I was a little divided in my attention, it's not my fault. Okay. This morning was Wine and Dine registration for the Run Disney Wine and Dine half marathon at the end of October. And if you've ever registered for a Run Disney race, you know you have to be there twenty minutes before it opens, and you get into the waiting room and then you just wait until they let you in to buy the registration. And it was you know, as soon as they give you a number, it's never going to take that long. So they gave me my you know, fifty nine minutes, and then it just went down and about a half hour.
Speaker 4: Later it had opened up.
Speaker 1: But Jill didn't want to wait to record, and so I had to keep the thing up on my laptop across the and wait, and finally when my time was up, I put down the microphone and I went over and registered for the half marathon and I got.
Speaker 4: In Are you done? I am done? Okay, here's my side of things.
Speaker 3: It said that it was going to be I think when we pressed record it was thirty six more minutes. Like that's worth it to start recording because we've got to record two episodes today and you only have so much time before you have to go pick up your kids, so it's worth of it.
Speaker 4: We'll just stop.
Speaker 3: Whenever you need to go purchase your own Disney tickets NBD, we have editors. But you know what's interesting to me though, is you were the most distracted Actually after you had purchased the tickets. I did not notice dual attentions. So she actually to get real nitty gritty because whatever we're just we're here talking to our real fans. You purchased the tickets at our first ad break, so we were about thirteen minutes in, right. It was after that ad break that you weren't sure if I had mentioned the ninety day transaction inventory that you didn't know whether or not I had already talked about.
Speaker 1: Well, I had a pattern interrupt, you know, like I was in and then I had to go buy the tickets and then I had to like mentally get back into the episode, and it was hard and I didn't want to do it.
Speaker 4: You did do it, though, But see that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it would have been any different if you just if we had waited to record, you might have still been distracted by this.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have I would have sase tickets.
Speaker 3: I would not have because I wouldn't after the purchase, after.
Speaker 1: I had to get up and walk over to my laptop and go fill something out and then come back and rejoin the mind flow that is the episode. And that was difficult for me to interrupt the pattern.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, I think it was a great episode. I'm still glad that we did it. I'm not I'm not mad about this. I'm just making observations and being curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my, my. The whole time, my attention was in two different places. And luckily I've talked about zero based budgets enough that I could talk about them in my sleep.
Speaker 3: So you're going to do this in October with my friend Sarah. And what are you most looking forward to about this? This is a this is something that you've you've planned for. You've been talking about doing this for a long time. I don't know if you've been setting money aside or what the budget.
Speaker 1: I do what I want when I want.
Speaker 4: Joe. Joe was looking forward to about this race.
Speaker 1: Getting to train with with a friend. I usually do them alone. So yeah, I get to run with a friend for this one.
Speaker 4: Well, you guys trained together too.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, She lives in Clearwater, so like we might like maybe meet up between Saint Pete and Clearwater a couple of times to train together. But we are similar pace similarly paste already nice?
Speaker 4: Are you on Strava? I am? Are you impressed that I know what that is?
Speaker 1: You just I'm sure Sharon told you I don't know before.
Speaker 4: Let loose.
Speaker 1: I'm sure now you know a lot about Strava. What did she say about her Strava?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: She's just always on it, like updating stuff in Strava?
Speaker 1: What is there to update?
Speaker 4: Well, you me. Isn't it where runners go and you like put your info in? Isn't it like good Reads? But for runner? No?
Speaker 1: No, I mean you track your runs, so like at the start of a run you press start and at the end of the run you press stop.
Speaker 4: And there's nothing else you do in Strava.
Speaker 1: There, I have gotten kudos before from random people, like we'll say good run.
Speaker 4: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: Can you like like you I think she might have put in like that she did a race, or like maybe she has something.
Speaker 1: Maybe, yes, you can add that to your after it's start stopped, you can make notes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe that's what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are no like games or anything.
Speaker 4: See if you can catch them all.
Speaker 1: That would be fun. That would be probably more fun.
Speaker 4: Wow, exciting.
Speaker 3: So glad you're gonna do the wine and dine. You didn't lose out on your spot in line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, that's I'm excited. It's a lot of money, but I am not.
Speaker 3: Broke gone now it's gonna get it back now. No refunds for Disney.
Speaker 1: There aren't. Actually you can't get a refine. Know that.