Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Now, Hey, it's Michael Consta.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show's taking a break this week and we put together some special highlight episodes just for you.
Speaker 4: We'll be back with brand new episodes of The Daily Show next week.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, enjoy this episode, well.
Speaker 3: The next Daily Show right now. We're all familiar with Nathan Wade, the special prosecutor on the Trump election interference case. He had to step down when it was revealed that he had a secret relationship with the District Attorney Fannie Willis.
Speaker 2: Lots of people have been wondering how they could have been so reckless with such an important trial. So we had our friend Marlon Waya and send his friend Kwan to sit down with Nathan Wade and figure out just what the hell he was thinking.
Speaker 5: Yo, what's up? Welcome to chopping it up with Kwan. This is me, you know, saying, I'm a real given the real questions that the real people want to know. Day, I got my man, Nathan Wade looking smooth. What was your first thought when you had the affair with Fani come public between you and her.
Speaker 1: I don't label it an affair, white s or d a Willis is a respectable mother, a brilliant legal mind. We spent countless hours preparing this case, investigating.
Speaker 6: This I see, I happened countless hours and I need a foot rub and you know what I mean, your foot here, let me give you massage and all of a sudden, pump me up on this desk.
Speaker 7: Man, No, not liked it?
Speaker 5: You or you liked it?
Speaker 1: Well, that's a great question, right, So during the course of the investigation, we would meet early mornings, weekends, spend full days.
Speaker 7: How can you not hit that?
Speaker 6: So we're spending that much time to get we were doing everything we might as well well.
Speaker 1: In terms of workplace romantics, how many places have you worked?
Speaker 5: I probably worked like three or four places, and everywhere I went it was a messing. Well, you know, so she a boss, So you on that and decent proponents, you on that to give me what's that white girl name that married to the dude from die Hard?
Speaker 1: So that's a common misconception. Disclosure on that disclosure ship. No, that's a common misconception. She's not my boss. She's never been my boss, too, right, she ain't he to you? No, I was a contract attorney. She's more analogous to a client to me, so saying she was a client, Yes, you served her wealth I did. I did my job, and let's talk about some of the successes I did while I was.
Speaker 8: I think we talked the job.
Speaker 1: Now we we didn't. We're talking about securing an indictment, talking about getting people to interplease.
Speaker 5: Inter please.
Speaker 9: In the police.
Speaker 1: We're talking about other jurisdictions even following suit.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you. When old girl was like, hey, babe, you want to be in charge of this prosecution of the president of the United States who did this insurrection? Did you think like this could get messy? Or you was like, nah, I'll be all right.
Speaker 1: We did not have that type of relationship at the at the outset and we were interviewing other people for the position.
Speaker 4: Was it was only the position?
Speaker 9: Did that position.
Speaker 5: Or did death position look like this?
Speaker 7: So No.
Speaker 5: Afterway resigned as special prosecutor, Trump's law dogs still tried to use their relationship to get the case strown out. They compelled his ass to testify and grilled this hall.
Speaker 8: Did you go to a cabin with miss Willis?
Speaker 9: Ever?
Speaker 5: Both the homie had answers.
Speaker 4: Ever, Ever, now he's the booking and cabin I book lots of candeis my question?
Speaker 9: Booking all these captains?
Speaker 5: So so, how many district attorneys you be smashing in the cabins?
Speaker 1: Zero?
Speaker 5: Is it Airbnb or verbal? Will you be getting all these cabins from? That's what my people want to know. Where do I get them?
Speaker 8: Alright? Alright?
Speaker 5: So some people saying this ordeal might have ruined the best chance to hold Trump accountable for trying to end democracy? Now, what would you say to all the haters out there who can't get laid.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know what the haters are thinking, but what I will say is, under my leadership, we successfully secured a valid legal indictment, the charging document.
Speaker 7: All right, young.
Speaker 5: Black men need a roll mod what's your advice the kids in the hood that's out there that want to grow up and have they dick potentially in democracy?
Speaker 7: That's some lethal shitting dass leap we're talking, we're talking about.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I have advice for any young black men to have workplace romances. What I do have advice for your black men, It's simply this, you can do whatever you put your mind to. I am a black father, was a black husband. I took care of my family. I took care of my children. My children are young adults. Now black fathers are positive, and I take pride in being a black man.
Speaker 5: That's a T shirt. I'm gonna put that shit on a T shirt, showing them on the corner at the Hall of You know what the mother you make. You seem like a free spirited man. You know what I'm saying. How many Didney parties? You want to.
Speaker 8: Nothing?
Speaker 1: How many did you go to?
Speaker 7: I went to several, but I left early. Just ain't about me. I want to thank you for sitting down with.
Speaker 5: Me and answering the real questions for me and my people, all the hundreds or possibly billions of cowd fans out there, It's been a pleasure. So I appreciate you. My man, for real, he hit it, He hit it, He did it.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight is a conservative attorney who may be Donald Trump's biggest critic. Please welcome mister George Conway, standing ovation, standing ovation.
Speaker 8: You are that hero.
Speaker 9: In many ways, you are that Trump.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, man, Look, your bona fide is impeccable. Harvard Yale, you arguing in the Supreme Court more importantly half Asian. There you go, alright, so I don't waste anyone's time. I really want to pick your brains with this, base on your expert legal opinion, this current Trump case, with this guilty verdict. What does this mean going forward? Is this going to hold out?
Speaker 9: He's a criminal?
Speaker 2: He's a criminal for sure.
Speaker 9: But I'm I'm thirty four. But isn't this up for appeal?
Speaker 8: Is gonna take It's not gonna be appealed this year? I mean it will. The appeal will start this year. It can't start until after he's sentenced on July eleventh.
Speaker 9: Mark your calendar.
Speaker 8: And what are the chances of the you know, the I don't think they really have much on appeal.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 8: I mean, I sat through a good chunk of the trial. I followed the issues. I don't think I mean the.
Speaker 2: Main the main counter argument is that against this conviction. Is that correct me if I'm wrong?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 2: Is that the the New York State does not have jurisdiction over a federal matter.
Speaker 8: No, that's that's that's a bogus argument, because what what what happens is that there's there are two levels of falsifying classified documents that you can be convicted for. One is a misdemeanor, which is second degree, and one is a felony with first degree.
Speaker 9: And to kick from second degree up to first degree.
Speaker 8: You have to commit some you have to have the intent to conceal or commit some other offense, and that offense was actually a state law offense. The state law offense is conspiring to influence an election by unlawful means, and the unlawful means can be violations of federal law or violations of state law. And there's really no question about that. And the jury, you know, I mean, the jury was really fast. I mean, it wasn't really it wasn't a hard case at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: So you don't feel that you feel it's pretty open and shut.
Speaker 9: Yeah, No, I thought it was open.
Speaker 8: Sure, the verdict came in and I thought, you know, frankly, I thought a lot of the television covered was misleading. You know, I think there's this tendency to make everything a horse race and make everything exciting. But the fact of the matter is, I mean, the case was strong from the beginning, and.
Speaker 9: The prosecution.
Speaker 8: Actually executed perfectly and the defense kind of was a little messed up because they.
Speaker 9: Have a problem.
Speaker 2: And pray, tell, what might that be?
Speaker 8: The problem is they have some lunatic telling them what to do and not all.
Speaker 2: Wait, who are you referring to.
Speaker 8: There's this guy who was sitting there every day, kind of orangey, and often he'd wake up and make a suggestion. It was not These were not good suggestions, and he doesn't really know what he's doing.
Speaker 9: He thinks he does.
Speaker 2: Well. The reason I like talking to you about the legal cases because you have a conservative background, so and not not just that, but I always feel like you seem from from what I've heard and read from you, you always seem to have a pretty balanced, reasonable view on this and that's why when you discuss these cases, you always discuss it from a very legal and legal perview, and you're trying to be about this stuff. So when you say that he this is really open and shut. I kind of trust your opinion more than most people because I feel like you nongly understand law, but you come from that jury agree, right, So there's that. Okay, Well, so that's one of the cases, and there's a few other cases. I mean, those other cases. I know, most of them probably not gonna We're not even going to hear about them before the election.
Speaker 9: Probably not.
Speaker 8: Although there's an outside shot that the January sixth case that's brought has been brought by the US Department of Justice in the district, there's an outside chance that trial could start in September or October. I wouldn't necessarily put a lot of money on it, but it's possible. It really depends on what the Supreme Court does in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, for that case, what's your analysis on that one? Is that open shut?
Speaker 8: Or is that I think it's I think it's pretty pretty strong. I mean, you just the charges that are are are in that case involved obstruction of an official proceeding and and uh heat obviously tried to instruct the obstructive official proceeding by corrupt means, by, among other things, you know, intimidating the vice president. Also by you know, submitting these fake electoral certificates that that said that he you know, was entitled to electoral votes in states where he lost the election.
Speaker 2: Okay, shore, So then what's the other what what what's he gonna argue? What's that what's the counter argument.
Speaker 8: All this, Oh, I was just validly contesting an election.
Speaker 9: It was my right to do that. I don't see.
Speaker 8: I don't really see what the what the what the substance of defense is there?
Speaker 9: Either, he doesn't really have one. And the one in the case.
Speaker 8: Where he's really really dead to rights is the one in Florida.
Speaker 2: Which is the just for those of us who are incapable of following this main legal cases, this is the one case.
Speaker 9: This is which was this was this one.
Speaker 8: This is the one where he stole the classified documents like many many boxes. He took them to Florida. The government nicely asked for them back. He said, no, these are my these are my things. He's like a five year old. And and then they subpoenaed him for the documents and he said, oh, here are some of the documents back. And then he had his lawyers lie about the fact that he hadn't given all the documents back, and then he moved the documents around to hide them from the FBI, and finally the FBI had to execute a search warrant and take all the documents away from him. And that's basically it's like it's like a drug bust case. I mean, it's like somebody's running a meth factory and they come in and there's all the math, right, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, but in other words, that's that should be open and.
Speaker 8: Sho should be that he should that case should have been tried already, and the charges in that case a lot of the chargers got ten years.
Speaker 9: In jail, but you should that he should be in jail off of that all.
Speaker 8: Okay, But but yeah, always a buck but what but that's probably not going to Yeah, they have a problem. He got lucky. He drew this judge who I mean to put it charter, He doesn't really know what she's doing. It seems to be favoring him.
Speaker 9: Sure, And she's made.
Speaker 8: A mess of the proceedings and it's continuing to make a mess of the proceedings. And I think that what's going to happen at some point is going to is if she does one more thing that's insane, and she's been reversed by the Court of Appeals in Atlanta twice on very harsh grounds. Frankly, if she makes one more big mistake, I think there's a chance that they can get her thrown off the case. But there's no way this case is going to get tried this year. I mean, look, the bottom line is, and this is always going to be true. The way that Donald Trump is going to get beaten is at the ballot box.
Speaker 9: And I'm pretty confident he will be and you your confident you will be.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, I mean that you know, I'm thank you for optimism. I'm a little but you know, speaking of breaking at the ballot box. I mean, the other thing that's fascinating I think about your political journey is that you come from that world, you bona fides. I'm sorry you don't come from that world, but you'll get the one's got a little messy right now. You you know, bona fide conservative, Republican. I think you worked on the case against Bill Clinton, and you've been Republican most of your adult life, that's fair to say.
Speaker 8: In fact, you know the time I was from for a time I first voted in college.
Speaker 2: In fact, you celebrate when he won the first election. There's documentation of you celebrating, and you will.
Speaker 9: Himself some reasons, for some reason, he knows how to hurt a guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know, right, but I mean to me, that gives even more credibility to what you're saying, you a way, because you're from there and you've seen it. And so what I guess the question is, when we go back to the ballot box, what would you say to other conservative people to convince them that, hey, like, maybe that's conservatives there who are like, Look, I don't care what he says. He's good for the you know my tax reasons, he's good for business, he's tough. You know what, what is your argument against that?
Speaker 9: Look?
Speaker 8: I mean, I think there is a large off of Republican Trump supporters who are beyond who are beyond persuasion, and I think we kind of have to accept that.
Speaker 9: I do think.
Speaker 8: There are a number of there's a large percentage of people who are uncomfortable with Trump, and especially uncomfortable with his attempt to overthrow the government of the United States and the constitution of the United States.
Speaker 9: Stuff like that, you know.
Speaker 8: I mean, you know, we once believed in law and order, and now we have this party that's devoted to lying for a criminal, and you know, I think there are a lot of Republicans who have, you know, deep concerns about that, as they should and I think those concerns are going to come to the fore more as we focus on Donald Trump more as people are reminded of the things that he has done, the fact that he is now a convicted felon, that he is an adjudicated rapist, that he attempted to overthlow the Constitution of the United States, and that he's just downright nuts.
Speaker 9: And I think that and I think one of the odd things.
Speaker 8: About this trial is there's a lot of suggestion by Republicans that, oh, this trial helps him because it just binds him closer to his base because of the convictions and how he's being persecuted. And there is some truth to that. But the thing that is, he he was advantaged by the trial in the sense that it took him off the radar screen.
Speaker 9: He has been.
Speaker 8: Advantaged over the last three years since January sixth, because we've seen less of him. But we're going to see more of him. Like he was a couple of weeks ago. I don't know how many of you people saw this, but he was in Wildwood, New Jersey, talking about what a great guy Hannibal Lecter was.
Speaker 2: And you know, so you'll say, you'll say this saying the more we.
Speaker 8: See him, because remember during coronavirus, they were having these four to three four o'clock press conferences every day, and they got crazier and crazier, and finally, you know, people in the White House said we got to take them off, and that's you know, they're not going to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, you're giving You're trying to give us reasons for optimism, which I appreciate because I need some reasons for optimism because anti number. But but I do want to know, like, what would you say to what is the argument too, because we're kind of preaching to acquire here a little bit. You know, we all know I think of a watching this. We appreciate you know, the algorithm has directed us to you because we all kind of think this guy's nuts, regardless of your actual political books.
Speaker 9: I got to actually say it. We we have not.
Speaker 8: Had a full national conversation about this man's psychological condition.
Speaker 9: He have we not.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've been talking about every.
Speaker 8: Single days the mainstream we say, oh, he's.
Speaker 9: Nuts, he's nuts.
Speaker 8: He's literally if you look up look him up in the in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual Mental disorders.
Speaker 9: Five, he's a narcissistic sociopath. He isn't. He has a narcissistic personality disorder and.
Speaker 2: He has YE.
Speaker 8: And what needs to be done is that needs to be talked about openly. You need he needs to be pointed out when he is doing things that meet those criteria, and it's got to be pointed out.
Speaker 9: And it drives him nuts when people do that.
Speaker 8: And that's the other thing is what you could do is you can have the cycle where you drive him nuts by saying he's crazy.
Speaker 9: He acts nuts.
Speaker 8: Then you have more video and say look at how nuts he is. And that's what has to be done. The other thing that I would recommend to liberals is.
Speaker 9: Don't get mad.
Speaker 8: The people who support Trump like when liberals get mad, that's why they like Trump. He makes all these people, these these these snotty liberals mad. It's like, make fun of him. Don't don't don't let this you can. You can make fun of him and mock him, you know the way. You know, I mean, this is what this is what the.
Speaker 2: Kind of you're kind of addressing, right.
Speaker 8: Know, you guys, you all play an important role Kimmel at the oscars.
Speaker 9: But played and plays an important role. Laugh at him. Now, that doesn't mean.
Speaker 8: You don't appreciate the seriousness of what would happen to this country, which is the other message to the rich people who want it, who want their taxes cut.
Speaker 9: It's like, if this.
Speaker 8: Guy's elected president, we're going to have civil disorder like you've never seen because he's going to try to violate every law and people are going to start objecting. You're going to see people on the streets, and what that's going to do to the economy is not great. You're going to see capital flow, both human and financial, like you've never seen from the United States before. And so all of these reasons, I think I think we're going to be able to explore this between now and November, and I think that's the reason why ultimately I think common sense.
Speaker 9: Will prevail and this guy will win.
Speaker 8: But the problem will still be there will be five sixty seventy eighty million people who will vote for the guy, and we still have to live with those people and we're going to have to deprogram them at some point.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, as always, thank you for analysis.
Speaker 9: Thank you Intelli.
Speaker 2: The reasonable person appreciate it, he said.
Speaker 5: Check out this podcast on Conway.
Speaker 2: Please roll, They said it all on well Das Podway.
Speaker 9: Everybody.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 9: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 8: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 4: Plus Paramount Podcasts