Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're brown and a little bit shady ambitch.
Speaker 2: You took them out with a new line of tea called Brown Ambition Tea.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a little tea, a little a little filled my cup with tea matter. Let me get my mug, y look, sip my tea and stack my coins.
Speaker 3: This is a budd It's original. You brewed the tea last week.
Speaker 2: I know I took a media Yeah, I took a little social media cleans last week and completely missed the fact that one of our clips, what Tiffany, went viral. So if you guys have not listened to last week's B A Q and A, we talk about online mentorship communities and are they scams? Are they not as scams? And Tiffany's take damn one hundred and fifty something.
Speaker 3: Comments, I know how many views? Like sixty something thousand views, almost seventy thousand views. I was like, aha, we dust you touch a nerve, I nerve? I know, why do you think people are? What's what's the feedback?
Speaker 2: Mostly been like it seems like people were like, hell, yeah, speak on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's really been I think because we are entering into like this strange space where everybody is teaching, which there's nothing wrong with that. It's because if you have some knowledge, teach it, that's great. But some people are not credible. If I'm going to be all be honest, you know, like they're not they're not positioned to be the teacher because there's just a lack of experience, a lack of knowledge, a lack of maybe certification whatever. So there are You don't need all those things for every single thing, but there's certain things you do. Like example, I would want my doctor to be certified, you know, like I want him to be like to have his doctor degree.
Speaker 3: He should do that.
Speaker 1: But for I follow one of my favorite skincare gurus. Her name is Felicia. This that beauty on Insta toughly so I say, hey girl, she's from New York too, but I love Felicia. Felicia is a woman of a so new usual way and she's got beautiful skin. Felicia is not an esthetician.
Speaker 3: She's not.
Speaker 1: She's just beautiful black girl that tries these different products and products and services and then reports back. She doesn't say I'm an esthetician. She's like I tried this. This is what it did for my skin. My skin tends to be this. It's you know, so, but I'm not. I'm okay with that. I don't need Felicia to have gone to skin school, you know, because that's not what she's purporting. She's just like, I'm a black girl who loves skin stuff. I try all the things, so you don't have to. This is what worked for me, didn't work for you. You know, use that how you will. And so I'm certainly I think Nitdy and I were on the same page and that we're not saying that you can't teach unless do that, but there are some instances where we have seen people are teaching and we're like.
Speaker 3: Really, okay, I'm confused.
Speaker 1: About where that novegs came from. It tas Mandy earlier pre pre podcast taping chat. I was like, it's like, you know, nineteen year old man.
Speaker 3: It's like I just.
Speaker 1: Graduated college and now I'm going to be, you know, a career coach. Meanwhile, that Mandy had not had a career yet, So where where's that knowledge coming from?
Speaker 3: That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: But now you've got season still young Mandy, but she's had a number of careers, a number of jobs, a number of twists and turns that allows her, through that experience, to share from that place and now she's like.
Speaker 3: The number one career coach. If you do, if I do, say so much, I mean according to Tiffany, that's on the fine print. You know, Mandy, what do you think about it?
Speaker 1: Because like if you look at that clip on ig, it's like, I mean, it's not I'm not I don't think I'm being super sassy or anything.
Speaker 3: Not at all.
Speaker 2: I mean I agree with the fundamentally what you're saying, the fact that, but I think what are our key message is that it's as consumers, you know, our listeners if there are if you're out there, and the thing is there are a lot of people offering their expertise now and offering. Yes, we see courses, you see communities, you have like you know, subscription based services where they are coaching you or educating you in some way, or maybe it's just a one time thing, you know, pay for this download where in this download I'll give you a worksheet or you know, a step by step guide or something like that. I think we really really like a core message is to be really careful as you shop online and to look for credibility, look for where does this authority coming from? Where like the key things you should ask. First of all, I think it's on creators like our you know, educators, on us to really share our story and to share where our source of knowledge comes from and give people all the information. So if you don't think, after you've read everything about me and my career that I'm the person for you.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 2: That's why I am like a Hella transparent with who I am, my story, my experience, and over the past the course of the past year, becoming obsessed with my ideal client and who who am I most beneficial for so that I can really target you know, that consumer and the rest of people won't be interested in working with me and I'm not the right fit for them, you know what I mean. So I think educators need to be really specific and honest with who they are, and as consumers, we have to be you know, we can't believe in like this Messiah complex that there's one person who's got all the answers and they're going to solve all my problems. Like, be realistic about what it is that you are, whether you're deciding to buy a course or download something, what is the person advertising that it's going to be and what's your expectation going in?
Speaker 3: And then what's their proof? Like where the.
Speaker 2: Testimonials at, where's the proof of excellence?
Speaker 3: Are they being quoted anywhere? Have they written a book? You know? What does it say about on their about page? Actually verify that the.
Speaker 2: Person is being honest about their background, Like it's there are people out there and it's not even that they don't have the experience, it's that people like maybe they're positioning themselves in a way to make people think that they are expert in something and the realities that they're not. Yeah, and like those people end up purchasing something or subscribing to something and then they're like, wait a second, I'm not getting what I thought I was going to get out of this. At that point, it's like that gray area, right, Is it a scam? Or is it like were you maybe expecting something that they didn't actually advertise or they just didn't fill in some gaps and you did it yourself, you know, and ended up in a situation where you weren't actually happy with what you got.
Speaker 3: It's it's messy. It is because here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Right, So on the surface, you could easily say like, oh, well, like, for example, I believe that if you are coaching in business, you ought to have had a business outside of this coaching, Like before you coach me in business whatever. That looks like maybe you were coaching in retail before, which is fine, you know, but not that the only business you have is coaching in business and that's what you're doing, and that's the only job you've ever had, right, because then it's just like this weird loop of like, well, what came first, the chicken or the egg? Your experience or you only got experience because you practiced on me. So that's one I was talking to my mentee last night and she was like, well, I can tell she was.
Speaker 3: Struggling with it, like because she coaches.
Speaker 1: And she was like, well, not all football coaches were like in the NFL like NFL coaches.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, but that's but they all played football.
Speaker 1: Meaning I'm not saying they played football professionally. But if you've never picked up a football ever in your life, you have never thrown one, you've never you where does that you're coaching from what space. You don't know how the game is played, You don't know how the ball feels, you don't you know, like coaches don't have to that kind of coach. It's not required that you were in the NFL, but at some point you.
Speaker 3: Had to have at least played football, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, even just recreationally, because there's some nuance that you gather from the experience. That's not the same for all things. Like my therapist, before she was my therapist, she was a a coach for me.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing. When she was my coach, did she need to be a therapist? Now?
Speaker 1: So like a personal coach to me does not necessarily have to have a doctorate like she doctor Green is doctor. She does not necessarily have to have a doctor.
Speaker 3: Because I've had.
Speaker 1: Personal coaches before, they weren't Also, they didn't have their degree in psychology. That was an added bonus. But as a personal coach, that was not That wasn't a requirement for me. But then when I was looking for a therapists, it absolutely was a requirement that this person is certified as a therapist. So do you see that, like like there are it's not all the way across the board where it's like no, no, no, you know, you absolutely have to have these things in order to be able to teach a thing.
Speaker 3: I think it's really nuanced.
Speaker 1: And I heard someone say like, yeah, because if someone's not doing better than me, they can't coach, and I disagree with that too. I was giving you the example earlier, the idea of my friend Cabrell. His mother, Miss Denise, she Cabrell's mother. Her parents started an eyeglass store called Elegantize, and it's based here in Newark. And they have you know, they have been to the riots, they have been here, I mean a year over sixty years, I believe organized has been in business. So from grandparents, parents to now Cabrell and his sister. Now, I mean, if I'm being candid, I probably have made more money, you know, in my business than maybe that you know, than the eye glass store has made. Right, But there's no way that like, I mean, one of my number one go to people when I'm needing like business acumen, it's Cabral And his mother knows even more because she has been in business for like fifty years and so I mean not only has she had elegantized. At one point she owned an ihop, at one point she owned a Jamaican restaurant. At one point she owned an apartment complex. I mean, miss Denise is so well well, I remember asking Cabrel because she's so chilling, laid back, you know, not I'll get ready and now I.
Speaker 3: Gotta be on social myself included. But that old school you know, they just did it. You know. So I'm like, I'm like, can your mom? Can your mom be my mentor? He was like what mister Niece was like, girl, what you're talking about?
Speaker 1: You know, because but I mean she is a wealth of knowledge, despite on the surface that might look like, well, Tiffy, you've made such and such. No, no, no, no, no no, I cannot hold a candle to her level of knowledge because there are some so there are some mentors that to me require a deeper level of experience in order because business is so nuanced. It's not something that you can do on the sidelines and then tell somebody about. You have to be in it. And so yeah, so me and Manny were just talking about, like, you know, like, what what is you know when you're looking if the onness is not just on like the people that teach, but also those of you that buy, making sure that you're mindful of like what is it that you need from your coach? What level experience are you needing asking those questions? Are you even ready for coaching if you're spending ten twenty thousand dollars, which if that's how much a cost, that's how much a cost. I'm not here to shame. Coach charges a lot of money, but you know, are you even in position? I didn't start paying that kind of money until my business was almost eight figures, you know. And so yeah, because sometimes I've seen people will complain about a coach, but that's just because they weren't ready for the coaching just yet. They had not done enough footwork to know the questions to ask and what work to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one thousand percent. I mean even through creating bandy money makers, like the ninety nine point nine percent of the women who come through. And that's the reason I like have an application phase, and I actually have one on ones with women, a lot of women before they officially enroll, because I don't want in My program's only a few hundred bucks, that's where it starts at. And I mean, that's a lot of money. I'm not trying to diminish that, but I don't want it doesn't make me feel good to know that someone has come through my community and not gotten, not understood my vision, not gotten on board with I want women who are going to be talking to each other. It's not meant to be an individual experience like an online course where you just download it and do it on your own time. It's meant to be you know, gauging with other women and supporting other women. So like, I just want everyone to understand that. But even so, you know, I welcome the one time. In the past three cohorts and like sixty women who've gone through my program, one woman was like, hey, I've done a couple of classes. I just don't think I'm ready for this at this point, and I'm going to bow out. And I really I took that as a I took that as a learning moment for me, and I'm like, okay, is my messaging on par You know, this happened to be a woman who I didn't do a one on one before, and I'm like, Okay, I need to make sure that I'm doing more one on ones. It's not like those situations are never going to happen. But again, I feel like as educators, it's like, so, how are we making sure that our right customer, our right client can find us? And if we're not for them, they can find you know someone who is. And yeah, I feel a real deep sense of responsibility. Also, I don't want to get back to Tiffany that I'm out here in these streets like y'all are going to tell on me.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing, you'd be surprised, like despite so, like you know, I lost my Patreons for like the mentoring, and I realized the mistake that I made was when I first opened the doors. Although I said this is for business, this is for business, everybody knows me as a budgetesta personal finance, and so in the beginning, like the first month or so, I.
Speaker 3: Saw a ton of people leaving, and I'm like, what's going on.
Speaker 1: So thankfully with Patreon you can go on and you could do like an exit survey. So sometimes I'll say, oh, you're leaving why And I look and I would say the vast majority was like I came for personal finance, and I said, oh, okay, Tiffany, you're initial branding Budgetnista. Of course, the average person coming here is going to assume I'm going to get financial education here, even though like when you sign up, I have this video where I'm like, we're not doing personal finance. There's some writing it says's not personal finance. But girl, people are like BUDGETA, I love your girl.
Speaker 3: Click. They just sign up without looking.
Speaker 1: So I made sure now that like I have like a like when you go into my Patreon, like there's a it said start here, and one of the first things it says in all caps is you're not getting personal financier.
Speaker 3: This is if you need business coaching.
Speaker 1: And then I made sure that whenever I mention you know, like my Patreon, that I'm like to remember it's business coaching that personal finance, because I'm wanting that when you hear me, if you sign up, you know you come for that reason.
Speaker 3: But there's still people. Every once in a while, I.
Speaker 1: Get a handful of people that when they leave, I look and it's like I thought I was going to get personal finance. But to your point, the onus is also on the coach to make sure that you are saying the things that are attracting people who are going to be successful in your program, that they're getting what they come for because I don't want, you know, for me, it's ten bucks a month, so you know, people don't leave like I hate Tiffany because they're.
Speaker 3: Like, girl, just buy. You know.
Speaker 1: It's but you know, like you know, I know, I know I have friends who charge you know, ten twenty thirty thousand dollars, not a month, but like for the year. And you know, you have to be real careful that you're not getting like people off the street that don't understand what they're getting. And certainly you don't have to be careful if you don't want to, but you know, you then word gets out real quickly when someone loses thirty thousand dollars, it's devastating for most people. Like people don't don't have that, And it like to like I said, is it like Manny And I joke before and I said, I was gonna say, but I think I'm gonna say it. It's like, is it a scam? You might not be going to jail, but you're not going to heap it, you know, So it's like, is it morally okay?
Speaker 3: Now? Is it a scam?
Speaker 1: Meaning like are you gonna you know, like, is there like some sort of legal ramification? Maybe not, but that doesn't make it right. And so you the onus on y'all who are looking is to vet you know, what is it that I'm needing? Am I going to get this? Can I ask questions?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: What was this person doing before? Have other people gone through this? Like my business coach Zion. He was so expensive. It was thirty five thousand a month. Let's do the math on that. So but when I tell you I was this close to shutting down my business, I had reached even though we were our most successful at that time were just like literally just under ten million. I was like nine point nine eighty eight something something crazy, right, But I was so overwhelmed. So that's four hundred and twenty thousand dollars a year. But like I said, by then my business was just about ten million dollars a year. But I was so overwhelmed despite it being successful, I was going to shut it down because it was I didn't know how like I had we had clawed our way to that ten million in a way that I knew was not sustainable emotionally mentally it was I was drowning in the work and it was reflective in my body. My my, my blood pressure was astronomical, Like I went to the doctor, like I just want a regular check up. She said, this is the second time your blood presure has been elevated. I want you to get a blood pressure blood plusure, blood plusure ma sheet and then every day text me like be like our app like you know what it is. So I started to take it and I stopped. I stopped taking the numbers because they were scary, like I think, like it's like one twenty over seventy. It's like consider baseline, you know, a little elevated might be one thirty over eight. You know, like that that's in within range. But no, I was clocking in like one sixty over forty, like dangerous for I mean, I'm not some old lady.
Speaker 3: And I stopped. At first, I thought maybe it's just the machine.
Speaker 1: It's broken. I had my sister do it one twenty over seventy. I had a listen do it. When twenty I had Jerelle at the time to do it, and I was just like, what is going on? What is going on? And so I realized that you're gonna have a heart attack or whatever is at a stroke. I'm not sure what you get from high blood pressure. If this continues, If it means shutting down the business to save yourself, so be it, you know, because I didn't hate it. I just didn't know how to manage. And it was because I brought on Zion and he kind of was like, here's all the things you're doing that you ought not to be doing, how to delegate, here's how to shut down, here's how to create space.
Speaker 3: And so it was worth that money.
Speaker 1: So I don't want you to think I'm hating on, like, oh, I charged a whole lot for coaching. That that means some of that person is a scam. Now, you know, sometimes it does cost a whole lot. But to me, I'm it's really more so that, like is there proof in the pudding? Who have they worked with before he was He was recommended to me by a very like somebody who I know in business that also does eight figures and was like having a hard time and and he totally transformed her. And she told me I had to time. You know, he ain't cheap, and I was like, you's the key.
Speaker 2: Yes, a personal referral from someone you trust. Amen, Like, if you don't have that, I don't know how anyone makes purchases of like that magnitude. Yeah, I cut a referral or a human tell me I went through this and you know, And this is also the reason why I think it's really important for educators give away your stuff for free for a little bit, like build those testimonials so that people can experience what whatver it is that you're doing. The smartest thing I did, and I wish I could say I was like some sort of mastermind genius was due.
Speaker 3: Two hundred free career coaching. Yeah, but that was demious though it was genius.
Speaker 2: But and I think without those testimonials, you know, how are you supposed to convince anyone to trust you, and not just testimonials that you read online, but like to know that someone like I'm thinking, I've invested in three coaches in the past, very different book proposal coach, business coach, and another like short term sort of coach for around sales.
Speaker 3: And as someone.
Speaker 2: Who's purchased, like Tiffany you're talking about purchasing coaching services, I've purchased coaching services as well. The key denominator. Common denominator is that I had a trusted peer, someone similar to me, like you mentioned in that case, someone who also had an eight figure business struggling, you know, someone who had similar issues to me. And that's important that they found it really really helpful and found the investment worth And I have turned down other programs from people who said, yes, I spent the money, would I do it again?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: And it it takes time to get those kinds of like referrals, but it's so crucial.
Speaker 1: So crucial, whether you're spending two hundred dollars two thousand or two hundred thousand, like the due diligence ultimately falls on you. And know, I think to me a critical component is have you even started the work. Some people want to coach day wanted their business. I'm like, sis, yeah, open up the laptop and just get to click in first before you because you don't even know what you need. You know, like have you gotten It's okay to get advice and things like that, but like to pay for coaching. Let me get into some sort of groove so I even know, like, oh, okay, this is what I'm this is what I'm in need for so I think I feel like people either get coaching too soon or they get it too late. Like I waited until I was on my last leg and limp and along.
Speaker 3: I was like, good j please, you know that I want to give desperate you know.
Speaker 1: But you also don't want to do coaching so soon in your baby business because you might be like, oh, I don't even want to do that anymore. Like I said not to say you shouldn't get advice and you shouldn't take free classes and things like that, but you just want to be mindful of that. So I hope, you know, I'm hoping that viral clip. You know, no one has reached out to me to be mad, but I'm sure there are people who are like this.
Speaker 3: Damn Tiffany, you know, she what do the people say?
Speaker 1: Like back in the day when I was in college, guys used to say I was a cock blocker because I I was a girlfriend, Like if my friend was drinking or whatever, because I didn't drink. If my girlfri my friend was drinking and she was like, I'm gonna go home random over here, I'm like, you're not sis, You're not going home with whatever his face's name is. We're going back to the dorm, and I'm gonna be able to tell your mother I put you to bid and back in, and they'd be like, oh, he's a to hate. I'm like, I'm sorry, I won't let you accost my friend. Yeah, don't be mad that I won't let you a cost a cost our beautiful black and brown audience that like now, and you know I'll take it. I'll be I'll be a cast blocker.
Speaker 2: Any professional who can't engage in like an intelligent debate or converse station discourse about your profession and how to like improve it and how bad actors you know, how to tele apart bad actors and like that's not that to me is a red flag. Yeah, you know, it shouldn't. It shouldn't. Like for me as a coach, it doesn't. It doesn't, you know, make me feel any kind of way that we're being critical of other coaches and people who sell services. I think it makes us better, you know, and it helps build trust with our communities, which is what everyone should be out there doing, building that trust and doing the damn work so that you deserve that trust at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, Well, how do you go, what do you guys think?
Speaker 1: Tweet us igs all the things us because we'd love to get some feedback, like what do you think you know?
Speaker 3: Have you paid for coaching and felt like it wasn't worth it? And why have you paid for coaching and thought it was amazing? And why? We'd love to know.
Speaker 1: We're Branna Bitch and podcasts on IG the BA podcast on Twitter, Yeah, and then the Money on Twitter dot com.
Speaker 2: I love you for trying to sorry for promoting me, but no, Mandy Money not on Instagram. I'm on Instagram, Mandy Money Twitter is still Mandy So if I change it, I'll lose my verification badge. Oh you will, I will? They threatened me, and I said.
Speaker 1: Fine, Oh gosh, there's a taters and y'all know and the budget he's done all the thanks, but yeah, no, we would love to like know.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'd love to know the good, the bad.
Speaker 1: The ugly, you know what you've I think it's important that they're you know, we don't condemn all coaching because Manday and I both coach, so that's certainly not what we're doing. We just wanted you to be to practice discernment. So you get your money's worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you think there's a scam that you see out there, or there's something that you're just not sure about, like our last listener who even asked about these mentorship quote unquote scams. Is it a scam or not? You know, I'm curious because I can't see everything. We can't see everything that's out there, But what is what is giving y'all a little bit of like heartburn or a little bit of like I'm concerned, what's going on here? Let us know Brandon missions at gmail dot com or everywhere else. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back with the break or boost brown break, brown boost.
Speaker 1: And we're black and back for a brown break, brown boost.
Speaker 3: What you going to do? Brown bake, brown boo booz? What you gonna choose? Is she gonna break? Is she gonna boost? Oh we're chot shying, okay, Vanessa William p K.
Speaker 1: I do the Black people for version of Spanish dancing, which is just to shoffle your feet, swear and then move your hips.
Speaker 3: You know, like this, I hear, I'm late. It's like enthusiasm and ten percent. That's my version of any Latin dancing. So brown breaky, brown boosty. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Mandi?
Speaker 3: Are you gonna break? Are you gonna boost?
Speaker 2: I wish I had seen this news before last week. But I'm a little bit tardy to the party. But I'm gonna do a brown break. I have to do a brown break for Sesame Place, which is Sesame Place. Like we've been trying to figure out is Rio old enough? Will he be scared? You know? When to take Rio to Sesame Place? It is this I don't do They have them all over the country. I don't know, but there's one a couple hours from New York and it's where you can meet all your favorite sesame plays, Sesame Street characters and it's just fabulous and fun. Anyway, the heartbreaking videos that I saw, So, there was this viral video.
Speaker 3: Did you see this girl?
Speaker 1: You know I've seen it first. I was gonna take the kids and Sesame Place. This is someone Now I'm running.
Speaker 2: Ah, I know there's a heartbreaking video of these little girls, little brown girls. Who are I think it's Rosita. Yeah, Rosita, who is a Latin American character on Sesame Street, just completely ignoring them and like giving them like a nah no, like hand in the face as as as she goes by, and then she's like saying hi to kids who are white. And that would have been enough. But then I got on Twitter and there were other videos yeah that were surfacing of like similar craziness and sesame Place put out a statement, but it's it's so sad, like you would think all everything that says to me, you know, street stands for like they just need to crack.
Speaker 3: They need to do way, way, way, way.
Speaker 2: More than put out a statement. They need to figure out who's in those suits. Is this a pervasive problem? You know we are these are little babies, Yeah, and kids feel that when you see those little girls' faces, Oh like breaks my heart so massive break to sess me place and whoever the owners are, they need to get their shit together and fix these issues and huge. You know, that's a situation where I feel like those parents could have felt like it's just us. Are we imagining this like those instances of racism that aren't you know, smacking you over the head. But the fact that they told their story and then you see more stories coming out like thank you for actually sharing that story, posting that video being brave enough to endure, which I'm sure is like a ton of bs hate and vitriol, but it's important. So I'm breaking sas Me Place, and I'm going to boost that family for being brave enough to speak out about it.
Speaker 3: And you know, so crazy I was. I was doing some digging.
Speaker 1: Do you know the origins of Sesame Street, which is so anti racist that it was a psychologist that noticed that black and brown children, in particular, especially in urban neighborhoods, were behind on reading, and so he said, if I can create a show that is similar to that environment. So if you notice literally it's called Sesame Street because you know, it's supposed to be like New York, they had all these black and brown like and remember it was like all of the humans that lived there mostly were black and brown. And honestly, the South didn't want it, and people were angry at this representation in child's children's programming. But it was created specifically for the very kids that are being ignored at Sesame Place, which is so crazy, like to know that that's not the foundation that this was actually built on.
Speaker 3: It was actually built.
Speaker 1: Specifically for these children to feel included and welcomed and educated so Zilbet because honestly, I was going to take the kids. I was just talking to my sister Carol'm like, can we take a Roman and a Milia to test me place?
Speaker 3: She's like, by weed, do you mean you?
Speaker 2: I'm like, girl, whatever, but yes to digger Land. Construction trucks are the new Testame street. I don't remember construction trucks being such a big deal when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: But let me tell you about a kids deer. Okay, I don't know why kids.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's a few I don't know if has gone through all these iterations, yet there's a few things that kids go through that they become expert level experts in planets, dinosaurs, like construction trucks and vehicles and things.
Speaker 3: And it's just such the oddest thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm just like literally, there'll be a moment where like, you know, like the babysit this five year.
Speaker 3: Old kid and he was like, do you know that Pluto was the problem?
Speaker 2: Like how.
Speaker 3: Why I was that kid? Then you get grown, you don't know nothing.
Speaker 1: You're like nettun like the town in South Jersey, Like you don't even remember those things. But it's just so odd to me that like, yeah, kids will go like through those spaces. Well, I'm actually going to boosty boost. I am currently reading. If you were watching on our YouTube, you would see it. So this book, it's called The Twelve Week Year, This is actually just a work for person that I don't know. These people they know, ain no money involved for me. But I started reading it because I'm not gonna lie manny, I'm not a really great consistent executor. And I know people think I'm a good executor. No, I struggle a lot and that consistent yes, And so I can execute when under duress, meaning like okay, or something's really big, Like when my book came out, Get Your of Money, I was like, okay, it was so important to me that I fumbled my way through execution. I was like, you know, I was like, we got to get this done. We have to meet weekly. I just kind of made it up as I went along. Same thing with like when I launched a kickstarter for Molly Moore, same thing when I launch a literature academy. So when it comes to these big old things that it has, it's so important to me, I will execute, but really in a sloppy way.
Speaker 3: So yes.
Speaker 1: On the outside, it's like ooh, ooh, you guys did it. It's like, girl, do you know how many like of the ten things we did, really only three of them.
Speaker 3: Were the things that like move things forward.
Speaker 1: And I was just I'm exhausted by it and so and I think actually Zion had recommended this to me before, but I was ready for it.
Speaker 3: And then it came up again. I was like, all right, I think I'm ready.
Speaker 1: So I got the ebook another e book, the audio version, because that's my jam now, and so I started listening. I was like, oh my gosh, yes, and then I was like, but it's the kind of book you really need to kind of take notes, you know. So I was like, you know what, I don't want the book book. Let me get They had the workbook. So I ordered the workbook version. And I'm gonna be working with Tamra My, my CEO of the Literature Academy on like reconstructing like kind of our organizational structure to more similarly align with a twelve week year, but also even on the budget east to team with Logan and my team and being like, okay, because I want to practice being a consistent executor.
Speaker 3: Because it won't just help in business.
Speaker 1: But in life, you know what I mean, like how do you get things done? And why you know? And like how do I make that you know, something that is a habit versus like this herculean effort. And so the purpose, like the here's what the twelve week year really like in a nutshell is.
Speaker 3: It's like these Brian P.
Speaker 1: Morin and Michael Lennington, these their researchers, and they were trying to figure out what made what made.
Speaker 3: People successful truly truly? Was it? Knowledge? Was it?
Speaker 1: Connections was it? And they found that there was this underlying attribute that they found and it was like the people who were consistently successful, they were really good at executing above all else. And they were like, well, what does that kind of look like like these executors And they started to study all these different companies and they found that companies typically were their most executed at the highest level, usually at the end of the year, when it was like, oh my gosh, the year's wrapping up. Let's not waste time on these meetings that don't mean anything. Let's not waste time on we got to meet our quota. And they were like, well, how can we recreate that same feeling of get things done, get rid of the things that don't matter, but not have to wait till the end of the year. They said, well, what if we can create like a year, but within these twelve weeks. So the purpose of twelve week year, Mandy is not to get a year's worth of work done in twelve weeks, which is that's what I thought. I was like, that sounds a lot, but it's to really organize and say, my overall vision, let's just pretend it's the book Get It with Money. My overall vision is for Get It with Money to sell one hundred thousand copies year one New York Times Bestsellers list.
Speaker 3: That's the overall vision. And then break that down to goals.
Speaker 1: So goal number one write the book or like to get you know, to get an agent, or to get a proposal done, whatever that is. And so those goals make up that's the twelve week year. So if goal number one was to get a proposal done, you know, and to find an agent, then that's what I would work on those twelve weeks. It's like, and then you break down these week by creating a plan for each week and then task for each day, and then by the end of that twelve week year, you're like, I have my proposal and I found the agent next to write the book.
Speaker 3: And then that's what happens within that twelve weeks. And so when by the time.
Speaker 1: You're done accumulated all of these major goals that lead to the overall vision, which is a successful book that is a New York Times bestseller.
Speaker 3: So honestly, I'm like, okay, and.
Speaker 1: I see that I was kind of doing some of those things already when I was successful in executing, but not in a strategic way accidentally, And so honestly, I'm really excited about it. And I'm actually gonna share it with my my my mentortipany dot com members, and I think we're gonna like we're gonna work through the book collectively together because when I teach, I learned twice and so I'm excited about that, Like, okay, because execution, for most small business and new business owners, that's something that people struggle with. So that's my boost. Honestly, I'm excited. If you've read it, let me know what you think I happen to. I'm really like enjoying it, and I'm just like, oh, okay, if I can master this part of myself, it's just I feel like it can. It can alleviate additional stress and not have me wonder will this will?
Speaker 3: Will this not work?
Speaker 1: Because you won't have to wonder when you have a very clear plan. You know that if you're working the plan, the plan will work, you know. So that's my boosty even though they're not brown, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I'm a huge fan of baby steps. I feel like so often it's like deer in headlights. I want to get here, I want to get to the end, and I'm like, okay, but that's not the problem today. The problem is that you don't have something you need today to do a tiny bit, like do a tiny step to get there. Well, that book helped me, like finally put away the laundry that I folded on it.
Speaker 3: Could you never know?
Speaker 1: Honestly, when I look at it, I'm thinking about, like I'm down. I know you can't really tell because black girls kind of well, I'm down like twenty five pounds, like at my peak, you know, like I was just like I mean, I'm always transparent, like I like my at my peak. I want to say last year, maybe mid last year, I was like two hundred pounds and I was like, Tiffany, like, this is the largest you've been, which normally it's like whatever, girl, you think it's cute, but when the blood pressure was raising and everything else else said not to, like it's affecting your health, and so I was like, but I had yo yo, like oh, I was vegan. Remember I was vegan for that spell. Then I dropped and then it was too much. I was not able to consistently keep myself where I wanted to be before. And then I started to do where I recognizing some of the things I was doing, I'm like, oh, that's why what's working is working now Because one, like I won, I found like like a something that I like to actually do, Like I actually like jumping rope and I'm still jumping rope.
Speaker 3: And we talked about that before.
Speaker 1: And two I finally realized that like, I don't do well with deprivation. Instead, I had to find foods that were good for me that I actually liked. And so I was like, you know, I'm like okay, so like now I've flooded like my pantry, my refrigerator with food that I liked. So I was kind of doing this like systematic program for myself because I had to create a lifestyle like I had therapy right before this, and doctor Green said, it's the difference between picking up a skill set and technique, which is great to start, but until it becomes an embodiment, you will go back to where you were before, literally shifting who you are internally. And she was saying, that's why I'm really proud of you, Tiffany. She's like, you're doing an amazing job because you are shifting who you are internally and as a result, you're making decisions that are that are in your best interest. And that's the last thing changed. So I'm finally getting to that place with when it comes. I'm like down to like one seventy five, I just said, I don't only have like I mean now I feel like my size is fine, I guess. I mean, you know, I'm like I fit my old genes and I'm like, that's fine, But I still just want to continue with like working out and in the way that I like, which is walking and jumping rope and doing some lunches and squats when I brush my teeth. But yes, that's one of the things I do too. It's they call it habit stacking and atomic habits. But I've been doing that for like years. I used to do that when I was like, Okay, you have a habit you're already doing, and tack something to it that you want to make a habit. And so when I brush my teeth, which is usually at least twice a day, sometimes three times a day, I do lunches and squats, and so I'm like, okay, and you know, and I'm like and so sometimes I'll like even lean against the sink and like do like push ups against the sink, you know, because I don't really like working out, but I like jumping rope and I like walking. But that gets me to get like some lunches and squats and something. You're gonna brush your teeth anyway you're in here, get your twenty squats into you know, like.
Speaker 3: The good Yeah. I could do that with like cagles.
Speaker 2: I'm supposed to be doing cagles when I'm like, I sit a lot like just cales when you're in the car and I'm like, dang, I always forget girl.
Speaker 3: I wish girl, let me cough just one good time. I listen, we can do a whole episode of I know.
Speaker 1: I'm sure after baby and everybody, every woman tells me like child.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's not a joke. I don't think there's enough cagles in the world that good sneeze.
Speaker 1: You're like, well, glad I bought a new beer underwear because it's a wrap for me.
Speaker 2: I know some of the guys are like, wait, what what I fear the belly laugh.
Speaker 3: I love to laugh. I fear it now. It's true. It's true.
Speaker 1: Women be trying hard not to pee on themselves. Basically when we lapping in cough.
Speaker 3: It just happens. Listen.
Speaker 2: It's a strugger that you struggle. You will never know. Okay, so don't try to understand. But yeah, so but I love that the twelve work, the twelve week year.
Speaker 3: Yep, all right. Your book recommendations are always on point, yes, and so like, yeah, I have you've read it. If you want to read it or whatever, let me know, because I'm just like, yes, I'm curious to see people who've used it, especially if you're using it and you're like, and you have some tips, please share, because you know, I want to round it up a little bit for myself because I'm like, Eah, some of the stuff they say, I'm like, it's clear your man, because that's not how that works. But you know, there's a lot of good foundational things there. Awesome. Well, shall we wrap it up? We s on a show, all right?
Speaker 2: Check us out Thursday. We're going to be live at our podcast network Cumulus YouTube page to go to YouTube dot com slash Cumulus Podcast. There's going to be a link in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Check us out.
Speaker 2: It's Recession Day, y'all. We're going to be talking about the latest clues as to whether or not we're heading toward a recession and helping y'all unpack all of that data. I'm expected, I'm a cred to see you out there noon Eastern on Thursday, little bonus. Otherwise, we'll see yall Friday for baq and a bye bye.
Speaker 3: Hey ba fam.
Speaker 2: We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Ambission Podcast is produced by Cumulus Podcast Network. It's edited by the wonderful Imani Crosby and produced by Tanya Bustos. Dennistimplinsky is our in house tech curu, and I am Bandy Woodard Santos, your co host, and I will see y'all next week.