Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with Ed Lavow in Fan Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. SpaceX's first earnings reveal massive AI spending, an ambitious Starlink expansion, and Elon Musk's latest bowl prediction one hundred billion dollars and your revenue run rate by year end.
Speaker 3: Plus.
Speaker 2: We speak with Uber CEO Dara Kosra Shahi and joins us to discuss the company's earnings and it's robotaxi ambitions and more. Robotaxi talkers were joined by the CEO of Zooks later this hour on a big commercial milestone for the company, SpaceX's first ever quarterly earning. So the stock is down. This is what it looks like, on track for its biggest drop since June twenty two. Okay, it only started trading June twelve, but it is much further below its IPO price of one hundred and thirty five dollars a share. There's a lot of stories and a lot of numbers that we need to go through, but today's big number one trillion dollars. That's how much Elon Musk expects SpaceX revenue to hit in twenty thirty. Everything you need to know Bloomberg's Lauren Grush covering all things space joins us. Now, so let's go over the quarter that was the numbers that we need to hear about, what the stories were in SpaceX's first ever earnings and earnings call.
Speaker 4: Right, So, you know, I think it paints a pretty similar picture to the one that we saw merge ahead of the IPO. Obviously, revenue is up, but you know, it's still a cash burning business. Of the three segments, the one that's really the one bringing in the numbers at the moment is the connectivity segment, that startling segment, the space segment, what they've built their business on rocket launches, you know, that's that is making some gains in terms of revenue, but still holding relatively steady. And then of course the newly acquired AI segment that is really the big source of the cash burn for the company. And as SPACEXCFO Brett Johnson mentioned, we can expect to see capital expenditure on par with what we saw this quarter for the next two quarters.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of discussion of Starship as well. Starship of course, is central to the future ambitions the company has. But what do we really learn about it? What is it that Elon Musk and the other execs.
Speaker 4: Said, Yeah, I feel like the more surprising tidbits really did come during that earnings call, and a lot of very big, bold claims were made about some of the.
Speaker 5: Things we might see in the future.
Speaker 4: For instance, Starship, as you mentioned, you know, he said that Starship would be launching once a day by this time next year. Also, the heat shield for Starship is essentially solved, which is interesting given that there is some skepticism whether the heat shield design actually would hold up and make it a fully reusable and rapidly reusable rock. It just a reminder, Starship has launched twice this year on test flights, so to reach a launch a day by next year, you know, that's an exponential increase. So, you know, a lot of big claims. We'll see how they hold up. But you know, that's what Elon is known for. I think anyone investing in his company knows that he likes to push the limit and set really big expectations in order to challenge people to meet them.
Speaker 2: What were the other bits that you kind of would pick out having had a night to sleep on it, you put the business of space news that are out this morning, you know, with a bit of time to think what do we need to know?
Speaker 4: Sure, you know, there was another moment as well that Starlink would be the majority of the world's Internet in the next few years. Again, I'm not sure about that one. I did take notice of Gwynn shot Well, the president of SpaceX, talking about Starlink Mobile and how they actually think that they're going to be able to acquire a lot of the customers that you know, the major telecom servicers like Verizon AT and T and T Mobile have. You know, that definite definitely spoke to their ambitions for expanding that service. I think there's a lot of speculation of you know, whether they'll have to bring in ground based components, terrestrial components, something that she did mention. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, but I think it's going to take a lot of investment on their end in order to make that happen. And of course, you know, as we've seen, they're not adverse to putting.
Speaker 5: In a lot of capex.
Speaker 2: We're going to go deeper on SpaceX Mobile later in the hour. Thank you very much, Bloombergs, Laura and Grush stay with SpaceX, Edison you. Deutsche Bank head of Global Space and Aerial Mobility joins us now. He maintains a by rating on the stock, but cut the price target from two hundred and fifty five dollars to two hundred and thirty five dollars. And I want to get to you with you to the bit that we probably haven't covered, which is, in the short term, it is the business of cloud services, leasing, renting compute capacity to third parties Google Anthropy that seems to have the most momentum right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And you probably noticed they announced another deal right another customer undisclosed in the beginning of three Q. So the cloud business, by our estimates, right it probably can end December probably running at a forty plus billion dollar runweight, which is obviously much higher than now in generating the bulk of revenue. So we actually feel very good about that trajectory.
Speaker 3: Going into to your.
Speaker 2: End, let's get to what you just mentioned, which is there was a disclosure of the cloud business in the current period. Let's listen to CFO Brett Johnson.
Speaker 7: In the first few weeks of the third quarter. We've already contracted an additional six point seven billion dollars of cloud services revenue over a six month period that begins ramping starting in October of this year. We believe this puts US on a trajectory, including contribution from Cursor, to reach one hundred billion of ARR or annualized revenue run rate by the end of this year.
Speaker 1: So this is.
Speaker 2: Space X, right, there are three business segments, space AI connectivity. But you know Brett was pushed, wasn't he on what the biggest contributors to thee hundred billion AR was, and he, I think at the end, said, yeah, this is US leasing compute capacity.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I mean we can do some some rough math around it, right, just as I just mentioned, right, we can probably easily, pretty easily get to the forty. You have other parts of AI, right, you have grock X, you have the advertising businesses as well, and I think you put these pieces together you get probably I don't know point five you add on Cursor, which depending on you know, I think maybe Bloomberg has even reported on this, right, is running out at a very very fast growth rate. So you put that all together, we think you could probably get to something like sixty billion run rate not too far from December of nine December. So if you're already at sixty, you need the rest of the businesses to do to do by definition, right, something like thirty five to forty.
Speaker 3: And we think that's that's achievable.
Speaker 6: And so we believe that in that one hundred billion r And you know, obviously time will tell, but but we feel pretty Goodson.
Speaker 2: A lot of the research that I've been reading from you of late, it has been on the orbital data center side, And a big piece of technology news was that SpaceX has decided to go exclusively with Nvidia and Vira rubin architecture. That did seem important. You know, what did you make of that? And the statement that next year they will start launching that orbital data design.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I think there's there's there's kind of two angles here, right. There's the more new term you just mentioned, which is we need to deploy some prototypes and de point the prototypes. I would say it's not it's just the beginning. We need to get them up there, we need to prove it works. The real question is how do we scale this up, and to do that, we really need to increase the volume, reduce the cost of solar of also of the radiator. So I actually don't I don't worry too much about next year. Can we deploy some prototypes. I think the much more difficult part ultimately is the cost and scale of doing this at gigawat level, and that's what really will be the truth test, rather than kind of just getting like a.
Speaker 3: Couple up there.
Speaker 2: Elon Musk said that he's pulled forward his expectations SpaceX hits a trillion dollars of revenue to twenty thirty from twenty thirty one, and that there is a non zero chance that that happens twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: Are you able to model for that?
Speaker 6: I would frame it like this, so we have a forecast out there right that's you can see on Bloomberg is much lower than that, and I think the way to frame it in the context of stock is to get a much higher stock value. You do not need to hit one trillion by twenty thirty. If by some chance you do, the stock is worth significantly more than what it is right now, and certainly even versus our price target, we're probably modeling call it more like a third of that, and we think that more than justifies where the stock is right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the end of the day, Ela must said it trillion dollars in twenty thirty. I'm looking at consensus on the Bloomberg fago three hundred and fifty one billion dollars for the full year twenty thirty.
Speaker 3: Should we talk about Starship to end?
Speaker 2: You know, all of the future is predicated on Starship working and it's rapid reusability. How did you digest the updates? I guess from the call, I.
Speaker 6: Think it's basically on track with our expectations, which you know, we're expecting that probably flies call it fifteen twenty times next year. And if you kind of triangulate, you know they're talking about maybe deploying one thousand, B three satellites. You look at fifty sixty satellites per launch, right, you probably get into that realm. So we think there's certainly you know, you need to catch the second stage, you need to address some of the heat shield concerns. But in terms of the operational cadence of Starship, it is tracking roughly what we're modeling for for next year, and you know we will see it on flight fourteen, which is really soon.
Speaker 2: You know how that goes, Edison, you have thoish Bank. Great to have you back on the show. Really appreciate it. That's Space Acts. There are so many other technology earnings.
Speaker 3: Let's go through it.
Speaker 2: AMD third quarter sales outlook thirty point three billion dollars plus or minus three hundred million, disappointing, the stockdown seven percent, promont s guidance, profits surging, but questions and concerns about the Warner Brothers Discovery deal. We're going to get to that halfway through the program. Disney higher as streaming and parks both drove profit in the third quarter gone.
Speaker 3: And then there's Uber.
Speaker 2: Right now, the stock seems to be trading on the outlook for gross bookings, but there was a really big discussion about Uber's plans for its robotaxi business going forward, and that is where we will focus coming up. Uber CEO Dara Koshrasahi joins us to discuss the company's earnings, but also it's robotaxi ambitions that's next.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Take another look at shares of Uber down about six percent. I think that's on track for its biggest drop since November. The company said gross bookings for the current quarter are expected to be between fifty eight point twenty five billion dollars and sixty point twenty five billion dollars, but that figure includes rides and delivery bookings as well as driver and merchant earning. So Uba said it faces some international headwinds, particularly in Brazil and the next focus. Robotaxi CEO Dara Kostra Shaki's back with us here on Bloomberg Tech. You know, the growth bookings outlooked like there's a number of stories within it. I'd also not like at the same time, rider activity seems to be increasing, you know, help us understand those two data points.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the growth bookings results that we had up twenty two percent in the quarter were actually very healthy and represented quarter on quarter acceleration. Mobility business was stable at twenty percent. The delivery business actually accelerated quarter on quarter as well. So the business continues to grow at pretty extraordinary rates at the scale we're doing over three hundred million trips per week. It drove really strong profitability as well. The pressure that we talked about was real in Brazil, which caused a trip slowdown for the quarter, and that was actually about competition in the food delivery space in Brazil. Actually, we have a lot of mobility ridership that are two wheelers. We actually don't engage in the food delivery space, but there's a big war going on in food delivery, and that took away some of our two wheeler drivers from mobility to delivery because they're getting paid a lot to engage in that war. It really has no effect on us whatsoever. So the guidance that we gave for forward gross bookings growth is very consistent with the guidance that we gave last quarter, and hopefully we will meet and hopefully beat those kinds of expectations.
Speaker 2: DAR, is there anything to discuss on both like the health and behavior of the consumer that you're seeing going into the second half of this year.
Speaker 8: All signs point to a healthy consumer. We look at both our mobility and livery business in terms of the growth of those businesses, they continue to be healthy. We look at like other indications are consumers trading down and eating at more forfordable restaurants, or our eaters leaving less tips eaters or riders leaving less tips we don't see any signs whatsoever of a consumer slowdown, so the consumer remains strong. And then on the labor front, actually, our driver earnings, we've got over ten million now earners around the world that continues to be very healthy. And in the US, for example, driver earnings are up eight percent on a year on your basis. So you know, people talk about the K shaped economy, but we think both sides of the K continue to be very healthy and right now all signs point to the same going forward.
Speaker 2: Let's take the driver out of it for a moment and talk about robotaxis. You kind of explained to plan for the rest of the year, which is to get into more cities through different partnerships in different lanes, different methods.
Speaker 3: Let's start with that.
Speaker 2: You know, are you wanting to see the team accelerate a bit on that deployment, Dara.
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely. So we're in seven cities already with a number of partners and just a review. We want to work with all of the ecosystem partners, and just like we want every safe driver human driver on our platform, we want every safe robot driver on our platform, and we're working with the entire ecosystem to accomplish that. We're in seven markets now, by the end of the year we'll be in fifteen markets, and we're on track to be on fifteen markets. And we see, you know, a lot of advancements as it relates to our partners. I know you're going to have aisha from Zookson. They got a great approval from the NHTSA to run there like really really innovative and cool robot vehicles as well. We got approval for a wave to start testing operations in London as well. In Nvidia, who is a huge partner of ours, announced the release of their Alphameo two model, which is a physical AI model as well. So the ecosystem around AV continues to move forward, is actually accelerating, and we are helping that ecosystem accelerate through our partnership, through investment, through data collect for a number of these partners, and then ultimately commercialization of these vehicles on the road in the cities in which we live.
Speaker 2: Dara on zookes and I'll ask I said this obviously, but now they can charge a fair which is a first for a true robotaxi no driver controls. When does that manifest on the Uber app. When will Zookes be available on an Uber app in which of a city with a fair associated with it?
Speaker 8: We think later this year actually in Las Vegas, and then we'll expand from there. And Zeus's strategy is going to be to make vehicles available on Uber as well as on the Zoops app as well. So we're very, very excited to work with that.
Speaker 2: A lot of people want to understand what's happening in the relationship with Weimo. There was a change of plans in Phoenix. But how confident are you also about sort of renewing non exclusive contracts with Weimo. I think that your agreements with them, for example in in Austin Atlanta run through twenty twenty eight, and then you've got to work out how to go from there.
Speaker 8: Yes, so the deployment in Phoenix was a really small deployment. It was less than ten cars, so that's not material in any way, shape or form. We're going to continue to work with Weimo. It's been a strong partnership going forward into twenty eight as well. And you know, our philosophy has always been we don't want to be dependent on one partner one way or the other. Of course, we'd love to continue the relationship with Weimo, but then you've got partners like zoop A, wave a, we Ride, av Ride, and then of course Nvidia as well, so that we're not dependent on any single player to keep driving and growing this ecosystem.
Speaker 2: By the way, Dara, we're live on Bloomberg Television and on Bloomberg Radio, and this is Bloomberg Tech speaking to Uber's CEO, and you've just said that you don't want to rely on any one partner. Let me put it a different way. If we accept that weimo's kind of the commercial robotaxi leader in the US, at least in terms of deployments, charging a fair of the rest of the field. Which do you think is most competitive or going to be most competitive against Weemo.
Speaker 8: I think there are gonna be multiple winners. I mean, this market is so early in its development, and I compare it to like the foundation model Space. You remember, like three years ago or two years ago, peop were like open Ai is gonna run away with it. They're gonna be the only game of down. Then it turned into anthropic and Claude is you know, the best model that's going to conquer the hall. Now you see Xai and SPACEXAAI coming in with Grock and the combination with Cursor being a really great combination as well. You've got Google coming in with Gemini. They were late in the game, but they're definitely in the game. In Vidia releasing open source and really supporting that ecosystem. So there is going to be no single winner here. Weamo's in the lead now just like open Ai was in the lead, but there are going to be many, many players as part of this ecosystem, and we will help the ecosystem overall commercialize because ultimately we've got the demand and we can bring more rides to those cars and monetize those vehicles in a way that no one else can.
Speaker 3: So DAR really quick to drive early adoption.
Speaker 2: Is it important that the robotaxi firms price lower than other ride share.
Speaker 8: No, Actually, what we're seeing is pricing is super strong and demand is super strong as well. So when you get the product in market, it sells. It's taken a long time, right, Like twenty percent of search now is driven by AI av is less than point five percent of overall trips at this point, So the adoption is going to take time. But the product is a terrific product and we look forward to making it available on the Uber app really all over the world.
Speaker 2: Ubercio, Dara Kostra, thank you very much. And again later in the hour, we're gonna get stick with Robutaxes and speak with Zoop CEO Aisha Evans to stick around for that coming up right now. AI safety is back in the spotlight after open AI and anthropics models took quote unsanctioned actions by the details. Next, this is Blomberg Tech Ben Griffins Sit to Doen. It's cashing in on Wall Street's biggest AI hedge fund blow up Citadel's flagship Wellington Fund.
Speaker 3: Excuse me search five point nine percent in July. You know what I'm going to turn So you hire. If it's Talking Tech, because I've lost my voice, you hire. I'm hoping you there save me for a.
Speaker 9: Second, I will add, well, let's get to Talking tech a ride away first step. Monolith Management, one of Moonshot's AI's early backers, is looking to raise five hundred million dollars for a new fund. According to sources. Last year, Monolith raised two hundred and eighty nine million dollars for a fund and has since emerged as one of China's most prolific venture backers, and Open AI and Anthropics AI models carried out unsanctioned actions during a safety test, including a hacking a website and trying to inject powerful code into software. That's according to the UK government's AI Security Institute, which says it's the first time it sees quotes risks around autonomy and deception manifest this clearly in the real world. Ed, I hope you got some water out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's try that again.
Speaker 2: Another stock that we're watching today, by the way, Shopify absolutely surging actually at one point in the session, up the most since twenty fifteen. Continues to hit top line growth above thirty percent six consecutive quarters. And that's the direction of travel for this name.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 2: It's one that we cover less in the e commerce space, but it continues to have a lot of momentum and is growing super fast. It is an astonishingly busy earnings period and with my voice back in full force, this is what's to come more earning. So we're going to break down the prints from AMD, Paramount and Disney, and this is how those stocks are trading right now in this Wednesday session. Okay, everybody, take a breath. It's halftime here in San Francisco, the beautiful city of don't go far. We'll be right back. This is Bloomberg Tech. Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. This is what tech pology markets look like this morning. SpaceX is the big earning story. Then as that one hundred modesty lower, basically flat. You know with SpaceX there's been limited ripple effect, the downward pressure on the carriers. We'll talk about that later in the program. A little bit of upsided Nvidia after the Elon Musk name check.
Speaker 3: Then there's the earning stories that continue.
Speaker 2: AMD reported better than expected second quarter earnings yesterday, but that wasn't enough for investors who expected more given rising demand in the sector, sending the stock lower and a big focus on the outlook of sales and third quarter thirteen point three billion dollars plus or minus three hundred million. Why aren't they doing better? Blue Momsey in King joins us to try and explain. I mean a lot of the call focused on what do you mean, Lisa Sue, CEO of AMD, that the business for data central more than double it seemed like the street really wanted specific size and scope.
Speaker 10: Absolutely.
Speaker 11: I mean, if you look at the forward estimates, AMD is doing very well. Everybody thinks they're going to do very well, but everybody kind of knows that. So when she said, oh, we expect data send a business to more than double, what do you mean by more than? Do you mean sixty percent more? Then do you mean two percent more than? So that was a lot of what was going on on the plot.
Speaker 2: It's still framed in the context of like, well, what is in Vidia doing in terms of growth and is AMD closing the grap the gap? But there was also a technology story, which is that AMD has a new generation of server design helios with four point fifty its latest generation accelerator that's not shown up yet.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's a lot of focus on this accelerator, and you know AMD has been out there and said, look, this is this is a product that's actually better than what Invidia has and has coming. So the expectations are obviously rising for that. So now it's a case of Okay, we believe you, but when's it going to be there? When is it going to really kick in? And the same with the server design, could because again in Vidio said, look, we can do everything for you. We can put it all in one server.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 11: You just get it off the loading dot, plug it in, and away you go. This is AMD's attempt to head that off at the pass, and we want to see that.
Speaker 3: What's the CPU story.
Speaker 11: CPU story. There are so much demand for CPUs right now. It's what is old is new again right the data centers are now full of CPUs. We saw huge run up in Intel's CPU business. Obviously the expectation was that that would happen for AMD as well. It did the taking share, but again people want more. People put a lot of money to work in this stuff.
Speaker 2: Bloubergsy and King on all Things chips, thank you very much. Paramounts posted a surprise surge in second quarter profits, proving its cost cutting Skydance merger continues to pay off. Meanwhile, in the company's earning school, CEO David Ellison said they're moving forward with the Warner Brothers deal.
Speaker 12: We remain highly confident that this transaction will close, and we're preparing for basically successful combination once it does. If you take a step back and just look at exactly where we are today, We received approvals from basically, you know, sixty five regulators representing sixty five countries around the world, you know, including the United States, federal government, Canada, European Union, China, and many more.
Speaker 2: Okay shares are up two percent or so. Nothing that much to write home about in terms of size and scope. What's the story here, bluembogs. Hannah Miller is with us, you know, Surprise profit. There seems to be a lot of focus on what's going to happen with Warner Brothers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there is a lot of focus here. And you know, David Ellison mentioned on the earnings call yesterday that he is interested in pursuing an out of court settlement potentially, so even though this trial is now scheduled for March, you know, things could still change.
Speaker 2: How is Paramount's business doing, you know, like I'm trying to think, like what's the top hits that I associate with them. We've been through the sky Dance thing. It seems to be like that merger and integration's gone well.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we saw strength for streaming platforms. You know, they had a big hit with Dutton Ranch, fantastic premiere for them. Also, the UFC fight at the White House did very well for them in terms of viewership, so they did have some wins in streaming.
Speaker 2: I loved all of them, Dunn, Ranch, Marshall's Yellowstone spinoffs. Right, and so let's see what happens with Warner Brothers, Discovery, Bloomberg's Hanah Miller on the entertainment beat. Thank you very much. There's also Disney. Disney released Learning today before the opening bell, impressing investors with profit surge fueled by its streaming service, but also Theme Parks shares up two and a half percent. Philip Securities Research and analyst Helen and a One has a by rating on the stock and joins US Now. There was a lot of fighting talk from CEO Josh Damarro that Disney is doing better than its peers. Did they give the data points that evidence that.
Speaker 5: Well, we're seeing a really strong performance with US quarter. We're seeing very strong experiences despite the macrons certain days that we have. If we look at domestic park attendance, the global guest growth, and even per capital guest spending, they'll all be increasing. On a cruise side, that's all very strong. We're seeing very health see occupancy and forward bookings for their Disney Destiny and Disney Adventure. They've also tried to raise their guidance to the higher end. And for the entertainment side, they've managed to release Toy Story five this quarter and it resonated very well with the audience. It also helped push up their customer products to the highest gross in the twenties.
Speaker 2: Collers, let's listen a little bit to what Josh Morris said about the entertainment business, the streaming business, and what's in the pipeline.
Speaker 14: Our ability to outperform our prior consolidated fiscal Q three guidance and reiterate our full year outlook despite the mixed box office performance demonstrates the strength of our diversified entertainment model. Of course, I'd be remiss not to acknowledge and congratulate everyone on this past weekend's record breaking opening for Spider Man.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting Spider Man did break records, but he talks about the box office being mixed. How much is Disney judged by those theatrical releases and success is well.
Speaker 5: I would say Disney's greatest competitive advantage is what I call the it flywheel, So it has one of the strongest and most monetizable itp portfolios in the Google media industry and support it by incredibly loyal fan base built over the decades.
Speaker 6: So take this quota.
Speaker 5: For example, their Toy Story five has been successful, So the customer might watch the Toy Story fiving cinema, decide that he likes it, and then goes on to Disney Plus to watch in the entire franchise and maybe visit the Disneyland and crews to interact with the IPS and then purchase related merchandise. So yes, even though this time their office is a little bit mixed, so they're a little bit mixed on their style war and also the live action Juana, but they're still able to escalate that outside of theater and bring it into the IPS and the related merchandise. So very few companies can actually monetize their content across so many touch points, and that is what makes Disney's business models so unique.
Speaker 2: There was a contribution from Parks right particularly to profit Disney. You know, from a stock perspective, I think it's trading it thirteen times forward twelve month earnings. I'm still asking the question, like, is Disney a technology company focused on streaming or do we still continue to model it based on the parks and other sort of more physical businesses.
Speaker 5: I think you can't really stay there a streaming company because they're still seeing very strong on their experiences. They're also trying to invest very heavily for long term expansion pipeline. So we are seeing the Valaancing area in Walt Disney World, the Avanta experience in Disneyland, and of course the new Disney Abu Dhabi. They're also trying to add more cruise ships, find more cruise ship by twenty thirty one, and all these additions are going to drive long term revenue for Disney. So I think it would be a little bit unfair to just categorize them as a streaming company. It's more like a company that's one of its kind that has compared with strengths.
Speaker 10: In its ip.
Speaker 2: It's still early days in the Josh Demorrow era of Disney, But how do you assess his leadership at the company and what he's tried to implement.
Speaker 5: Well, I think he's the right person. He has the exact expertise to do. I think Bob Agar before he left, he already said that Josh is ready and he's more than ready to bring the company in the correct direction. I think right now Disney they've already managed to fix so many problems they used to have, so they're and previously now streaming as profitable. Cors have come down, parks are still generating strong cash flow, so I do think it's going towards the right direction.
Speaker 2: Of course, Josh Tomorrow in posts, it's about mid March. What's the next catalyst? What happens in the balance of the year with Disney that you're looking at most closely.
Speaker 5: So I think that'll be interesting for this quarter. Is they've just announced today that they're doing a collaboration with TikTok. So that's quite interesting to me because Disney has always been really detective of its ike usage because that's their core competitive advantage. So this collaboration is Disney acknowledging that customer behavior have changed, and they're trying to embrace the changes. I mean Disney plus previously they can pey mainly streaming companies like Netflix, but now because customers they spend so much time on screen time on TikTok, YouTube shorts, all those short video platforms, So they are trying to embrace the new trend as well, and I think it will also help Disney for their engagement problem. The current problem that Disney Plus have is users will click onto Disney Plus to watch a specific content that they want to watch, and then they will close it. So unlike TikTok, TikTok managed to convince their users to open the app multiple times in a day. So if they're able to guide that kind of traffic into Disney Plus, then customer who opened Disney Plus so many times per day is less likely to cancel.
Speaker 2: Hello Along, Philip Securities, Thank you very much. Indeed, let's try this again, Ken Griffin. Citadel is cashing in on Wall Street's biggest AI hedge fund blow up. Cidadel's flagship Wellington fund surge five point nine percent in July after buying most of troubled Situational Awarenesses public stock portfolio at a discount. The deal helped lift Wellington's gains for the year to twelve percent, underscoring Citadel's ability to profit from market turmoil, while many AI focus hedge funds were hit by the tech selloff.
Speaker 3: Okay coming up Zekes.
Speaker 2: Will soon start charging for its rides in Las Vegas, marking a milestone for the Robotaxi company and for the industry. We're going to speak with the CEO next. This is Bloomberg Tech. Zekes will start charging for rides in Las Vegas next week, marking a big commercial milestone for the company and a first for a steering wheel free robotaxi in the US. Souit CEO Ia Evans joins us. Congratulations, Like, this is something that I've been questioning you about for years. You're allowed to charge a fair.
Speaker 3: Now, what's the plan? First?
Speaker 15: Thanks for having me exciting starting this phase of the journey. We start in Las Vegas next week on Monday, and then we have San Francisco coming up. We have more permits to get in California later this year, Miami and Austin. We'll be entering Atlanta and LA and then we've also started testing in Dallas and Phoenix, so you can assume the robot tax is coming. So starting now the commercial journey and bringing what we think is this delightful experience to customers.
Speaker 2: So there's going to be a base fair and then the final fair gets calculated based on the distance travel on and how long it takes to get there and your assurance that will pick the best, best route, put some sort of dollar figures behind that. How it compares to jumping in an uber or a lift driven by a human.
Speaker 15: So we're anchoring around what we call the comfort pricings. This is known in the industry as a category of fair one thing, that one decision we've made. It's so early in the journey, so whatever we quoted you in terms of the best route, that is what we will charge you. So base fair time distance traveled. There are some search charges, so for example, the airport is not starting on Monday, the rest of the destinations are, but it'll be coming online soon, so there's a search charge for that. We're also offering some delightful experiences to the sphere with a special autossis Vegas in Las Vegas, Yeah, with a drop off, so there might be an additional fee for that. But whatever we tell you we're going to charge you is what we're going to charge you. If we took a little longer or the route was a little longer, we are not going to change the price.
Speaker 2: The learnings from Las Vegas, you know, I think the very simple question is are people that are in Las Vegas and hail. Are Zookes prepared to pay for it?
Speaker 15: Well, we were about to find out, so you must.
Speaker 3: Have an indication though.
Speaker 15: Yeah, the demand has been awesome. We've been monitoring from customers not just how do they enjoy the experience, but what they're willing to pay for it. So we are cautiously optimistic that they will be happy to pay for this experience and hopefully that will also modulate a little bit of the way times that you see in well as Vegas right now because it's.
Speaker 2: Free charging a fair is a big piece of news because it allows you to progress commercially right beyond R and D. But it's not the only piece of news. So regulators said, over the next two years, you can deploy five thousand of the Zookes on public roads. How do you respond to that, like, what's the ramp up in production and deployment?
Speaker 15: So I haven't changed measured approach, but you can see if you're laughing, measured approach, but you can. I mean, one of the things we're looking forward to was starting the commercial journey, but also just starting to unleash more robots.
Speaker 10: Now they're not going to.
Speaker 15: Come all at once, will slowly ramp up the flare of the fleet size at all locations, and we think that five thousand is only the beginning.
Speaker 2: For the record and the tape. I don't know which camera the director wants to look at. I'm not laughing at Iesha, I'm just smiling because you're always cautious. You're always very deliberate in the timelines that you set out, more modest than other CEOs we've heard from in the last twenty four hours. But you know, you have utilization data in lots of cities. There isn't necessarily a match of the supply of those vehicles to the demand right now.
Speaker 15: We're very confident in the utilization. I mean, look, it can't be one hundred percent because we have to go pick up people, drop them off, go pick up the next customer. But the industry quotes around fifty four percent. We're very confident that we will beat that and we've seen that from customers.
Speaker 2: Zoos is owned by Amazon, right, how much pressure are you under to deliver some commercial success, bring in some real revenues and money.
Speaker 15: A lot less pressure than I put on myself. How's that It's been a long journey. We're celebrating our twelveth anniversary. So starting this phase. I mean, we've always said we're here to build a business. We're here to deliver an experience for people and frankly, to change how people move throughout society. So Amazon is a great parent. I have zero complaints literally, but you know a lot of us have been waiting a long time, and so to finally sit here and talk about building the business as opposed to just the progress of the technology is key.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 15: Having said that, safety, foundational and perform well, that's key.
Speaker 2: What people might not be familiar with is that you build the zookes here in the Bay Area.
Speaker 3: You're talking a little bit about that quickly.
Speaker 15: The factory is great, it's producing. It's nice that we used to talk about how many robots per week. We're now talking about how many robots per day. It's cranking. They are ready to go, and we'll start unnishing them into these multiple locations.
Speaker 2: Hi, Shevn's CEO back with us on Bloomberg Tech. Thank you very much, my pleasure.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Some news crossing the Bloomberg terminal a few moments ago. Sources tell Bloomberg that hackers launched a wave of sophisticated attacks on Wall Street firms in recent days, targeting information systems at major money managers, including Two Sigma, Citadel, and Point seventy two. Several private equity firms were also targeted as part of the assault. This again, according to sources, We're going to keep tracking the story and bring you any developments as we get them coming up in the show. SpaceX is taking aim at the telecoms giants. We're going to look at the company's ambitious wireless plans.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 16: As far as revenue, like, I'm just going to take a very high level kind of top down the big three in the United States, AT and T, Verizon, and Timo roughly between them six hundred billion dollars a year, and I anticipate us to be able to acquire quite a few of their customers because I think our service will be better. We will eliminate dead zones, leveraging the the basically the satellites in orbit.
Speaker 2: There was SpaceX president Gwynn shot Well speaking on yesterday's Earning School and outlining the company's wireless ambitions. Bloomberg Intelligence analyst George Ferguson says the connectivity business should continue to benefit from steady growth and subscribers and expanding satellite capacity, and George joins us now that there's a lot in that, but basically they said, we're going to combine the work that they've done in satellite based connectivity starlink direct to sell with terrestrial investments and go after the US carriers.
Speaker 3: How did you react to that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean that's that's what I heard.
Speaker 17: And so look, I'm just going to caveat thet's start of our discussion with John Butler covers those companies. He and I talk about it, and we've talked since the earnings those terrestrials carriers. The discussion around it seemed pretty aggressive, right, I think they talked about running most of broadband in a decade or something like that. And yes, look, you know near term when we discuss the technology they have here, right, Look, I think the new satellites, the V three's are coming out, they'll be better, but there's still a bunch of latency between satellites and terrestrial stations. I really feel like their broadband service is really one that's going to initially get built around where there's gaps and coverage for terrestrial for trust or providers. They've got to improve that service dramatically. That's one of the reasons why you're seeing so much cappex.
Speaker 10: And R and D.
Speaker 17: I think in order to go after those major carriers and take a lot of that market share and the revenue. I think they were pointing to yesterday, and I would know as I sort of closed my comments initially, is that, look, I don't think those carriers are going to roll over and just give all their customers.
Speaker 10: A way, you know, to SpaceX.
Speaker 17: So I think you have a good old fashioned, you know, price fight on your hand. So I'm not sure that you're going to get everything you think it's worth, even if you go out and try to conquest all their good points, all their customers.
Speaker 2: I mean, Gwen Shutwell said they will acquire those customers, and you know that word acquired doing a lot of work. Let's go back to the core earnings outlook thesis. SpaceX's losses generally overall narrowed in part because the connectivity business is still the cash cow.
Speaker 17: Yeah, agreed, But I mean, look, I was one of the things I kind of hate to do as an analyst is to take a look at sort of six month chunks, But I decided to do it anyways because there's a company that's growing so fast, and I messed around a little bit with that, right, and so in most of their businesses, well, I mean one first, we know that we know that space, the Launch business and AI both were loss making. Neither one of them returned, you know, any type of profit. There's a lot of R and D going in a boat with those businesses. Really, even when you're back the R and D out of Launch, it was a flatish business. It looks about as good this year at midpoint as it looked last year. And you know, look, I think the you know, the connectivity business, they grew revenues fifty percent, they grew profit like forty six percent, so margins you know, a little bit deteriorated.
Speaker 10: So they they're it's a it's okay, right.
Speaker 17: It's it's performing okay, I think from a longer term. And then AI, you know, they they they you know, really raised a lot of revenue. I think it was like six times or something, sorry, one point three times, but costs roads six times.
Speaker 10: So kind of hard to win at that, so.
Speaker 2: Right, George Ferguson of Bloomberg Intelligence, thank you for your service, looking at the numbers that does it. In this edition of Bloomberg Tech, tune in tomorrow, we're going to speak the CEO of Western Digital after their earnings, talking data storage, hyperscoing, infrastructure, a whole lot more. It was a big show. Recap on the podcast. You know where to find it. This is Bloomberg Tech