Speaker 1: Murder on Songbird Road is a production of iHeart Podcasts. What follows is a nine one one call place buy a woman named Julia Beverly in December of twenty twenty. Its content may be disturbing to some listeners.
Speaker 2: Hey, Julie, Okay, okay, okay listen content?
Speaker 3: What is listen to me?
Speaker 4: Condent?
Speaker 5: What's your address?
Speaker 6: Four?
Speaker 1: One three zero four is un murder Aia, Illinois?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay listen?
Speaker 5: He said one three zero four songbird.
Speaker 7: And one there is zero four okay.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you find a story, sometimes the story finds you. The message request started coming in through Facebook February sixteenth, of twenty twenty three. The first one was a link to an article with the headline jury finds Julia Beverly guilty in the stabbing death of Jade Beasley. It was immediately followed up with a message notification, which was immediately unsent, and then this text please prayer hand emoji if you can help considering. The prosecution's ending argument was even though we have no physical evidence, dot dot dot yet guilty. And so began a steady stream of missed video calls and links pertaining to this case.
Speaker 8: A jury trial for a Williamson County woman accused of murdering a young girl starts tomorrow. Julia Beverley is set to be in county court tomorrow morning at nine. She's accused of murdering eleven year old Jade Beasley in December of twenty twenty. Beasley died from multiple stab wounds. According to investigators. Beverly pleaded not guilty. In the wake of Beasley's death.
Speaker 1: In Marion, Illinois, an eleven year old girl brutally stabbed to death her father's longtime living girlfriend, maintaining innocence but charged with her murder.
Speaker 9: I ain't gonna life, you know, by the news articles, I thought she was guilty at hers, aspiring what the news said.
Speaker 1: That's Whitney Nicole, the woman behind my myriad of Facebook messages.
Speaker 3: I'm just a resident of this town and I can't be quiet, and this eleven't innocent woman, but I believe truly is innocent to.
Speaker 9: Just sit in wat'e more of her time behind ours.
Speaker 1: Whitney speaks the way she communicated on Facebook a bit in bursts.
Speaker 9: Marrying has always been a sweet stuff under the red type of deal around here.
Speaker 7: They don't saw murders they cover, and these journalists around here or news reporters are ridiculous.
Speaker 3: They were lives.
Speaker 9: And it's not innocent a proven guilty around here, it's you're guilty.
Speaker 1: Her outreach seems sincerely motivated by her concern for Julia Beverly, a woman she says she barely knows.
Speaker 9: I haven't only met her, probably a couple of times. But I'm just seeing all the Ronalds. I just this girl, it just needs help. That's a sorry for her, like she does not deserve this.
Speaker 1: I'm Lauren brad Pacheco, and this is murder on some Bird Road. The nine one one call came in Saturday, December five, twenty twenty, at twelve twenty four pm. It was an unseasonably warm winter day in Illinois, sunny, with a high of fifty four degrees.
Speaker 4: He said, someone had broken into your house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when it broke in, they were running out as I was coming home.
Speaker 9: From Okay, listen, listen to me.
Speaker 2: You're gonna take a bit.
Speaker 4: I can't understand what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: It originated from a somewhat rural section of Marion, Illinois, a flat area of former farmland peppered with modest, mostly ranch style homes.
Speaker 4: He said, someone came running out of your house.
Speaker 10: Daly got running out wherever home?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 9: My norm was over?
Speaker 1: Okay. The stretch of Songbird Road where the murder occurred is dotted with Little League baseball fields, some still playable, most overgrown by weeds and sectioned off, resting chain link fences, exuding an eerie air of time suspended and innocence lost.
Speaker 8: Which way did they go?
Speaker 10: That is right out where all one? And I came in the check on Jane.
Speaker 1: The call lasts for nearly twelve minutes. As a sobbing Julia Beverley struggles to speak.
Speaker 11: Who are else than the residence?
Speaker 10: This is me right now?
Speaker 9: But darn't?
Speaker 10: Dead?
Speaker 3: Is in the bottom?
Speaker 9: We've got multiple one all over?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 1: Who is it in the bathtomb?
Speaker 7: Is much time?
Speaker 1: Hatter?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 2: How old is she.
Speaker 6: One?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 1: Is she awakes?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 6: I think that's not moving.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 12: Hold on.
Speaker 4: When that person left?
Speaker 11: Did they leave in a vehicle or on foot?
Speaker 4: They were on pos They just took over rudden.
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 5: Could you tell if there was a male or a female?
Speaker 2: It was a male?
Speaker 4: Could you tell that colored shirt he was wearing.
Speaker 9: He wasn't all black.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Police arrived on the scene at twelve thirty five.
Speaker 2: Thought, okay, there's.
Speaker 11: An author's tree pulling end.
Speaker 5: Okay, Joe, I wanna let you talk to them.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: They would find a still hysterical Julia Elaine Beverly, aged twenty nine, inside the house in a bathtub with cold running water. They would discover eleven year old Jade Marie Beasley. Jade would be pronounced dead at the scene. The cause of death was loss of blood from multiple stab wounds. Through existing media coverage, I could quickly piece together that Julia Beverly and Jade's father, Mike Beasley, had been a couple for nearly eight years. They both had a child from previous relationships who were about the same age. Jade was eleven and Julia's son, Jaden, was ten years old at the time of the murder. In addition, the couple shared two young daughters together. One was three at the time, the other was just one and a half years old. That Saturday morning, Julia Beverly and Jade Beasley were the only people in their one floor modular home. Mike was at work as a cook at the local cracker barrel. Julia's son, Jaden, was visiting his birth father, and the couple's two young girls were spending the weekend with their grandmother, Sheila. Mike's mom, Julia Beverly, was working the morning shift from home as a remote customer service representative for Hyatt. Beverly initially told police she had left Jade alone to do holiday shopping at the local Walmart, but upon getting there, realized she'd left her wallet at home when she switched from her diaper bag to a smaller purse, so she returned back home to the house. That's when, according to Beverly, she encountered a knife wielding, masked man dressed in black who tussled with her at the front door before fleeing on foot. She then discovered blood throughout the house and Jade in the bathtub before calling nine one one. Just five days later, the now former Williamson County State's Attorney, Brandon Soonati, held a press conference.
Speaker 2: A few hours ago, I charged Julia Beverley, aged twenty nine, of eleven three oh four Songbird Road, Marion with three counts a first degree murder. The murder of Jade Murray Beasley, an eleven year old girl, and arrest warrant was issued and Julia Bevley was arrested within the past hour and is being processed and held with the Williamson County Jail. She's being held on a two million dollar bond.
Speaker 1: Zanati would then hold up a photo of the victim, Jade Beasley. It shows an adorable young girl with bob strawberry blonde hair accented with pink streaks and a pink bow. She's smiling broadly from behind pink rimmed glasses, dressed in even more bright pink. The cropped photo and the larger full body original of the small, pink clad girl would be utilized by the media throughout the duration of the investigation and trial.
Speaker 2: I recently was given a copy of the booking photo, and I have those here for anyone that may want.
Speaker 6: Then.
Speaker 1: In stark contrast, Julia Beverly appears haggard and drained in her booking photo, her dark clothing and dark hair disheveled. The grainy shot drab enough to almost appear black and white.
Speaker 2: These first degree murder charges carry with impossible penalties of twenty to sixty years in the Department of Corrections and if determined, extended term eligible up to one hundred and twenty years.
Speaker 1: Jade Beasley's murder and Julia Beverly's arrest were both announced during that same press conference, but while no motive was given, Zanati added this.
Speaker 2: When the incident occurred, the suspect gave law enforcement an initial report that the unidentified mail ran from the residence upon her arriving home. She said that she left the residence with Jade alone in the home for a short time and return home to find an unidentified male fleeing. The investigation has proven this story to be false.
Speaker 1: Murder on Songbird Road will continue after the break. Now back to Murder on Songbird Road.
Speaker 8: What they had told us at the press conference was that they had arrested Julie Beverly. They charged her with murder and had said that she had told them a story about a suspect that left the home and that that was later proven to be false. That was the first official word of that case. But they never explained how that happened. I should have asked, you know, looking back at it now in hindsight.
Speaker 1: That's Danny Vaie, who was a reporter and anchor at local news station WSIL News three when the Beverly story broke.
Speaker 8: Every town has its crime. Marian's no different than any other towns. Marion gets a lot of theft, calls, burglaries. Very few times that we've covered shootings in Marion, but there have been. Not to say that there haven't been, but to have a murderer screwsom is. Jade Beasley's doesn't happen very often down here, not at all. It's very rare.
Speaker 1: And by down here, Vaya means south.
Speaker 8: Marion is So if you know Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, it's about thirty minutes east of Carbondale on Route thirteen. If you're more familiar with highways, it cuts right by in their stay fifty seven, it cuts through Marion.
Speaker 1: And if you don't know any of the above, know that Marion, Illinois is in extremely southern Illinois, closer to Missouri than Chicago. Vye's recollection of Jade Beasley's murder remains extremely clear. Three years later, on.
Speaker 8: December fifth, twenty twenty, it was a Saturday. I was still the morning anchor. My shift was over by around ten eleven o'clock am, so I went home, and I'm pure in rumblings that there's something happening in Marion. Joe Rohanne was actually the first one to go over there. He's our protog reporter. He actually shot the initial footage of the police response there and he was just telling us, you know, that there was a big presence. He went to go eventually here back on the scanner that they were calling a METAVAC helicopter to the home. But then later on we find out that the call was rescinded, that the aravact was canceled. Immediately, we were thinking someone died, but we just don't know who. We just know that there's a lot of police. There's so much activity going on, like this is a huge response. I mean, it was insane. The number of cars were there. I think there were five, but it seemed like there were more. Even in the days after when we followed up, they were still there. But yeah, we first heard about it on Saturday. We didn't get much information officially, and we were slowly hearing little details on what may have happened. We were hearing that it may have been a little girl. We were hearing that it was the girl's mother. Then we're hearing it wasn't the mother, it was a stepmother.
Speaker 1: The lack of information, especially during the isolation of the pandemic, led to immediate spec and concern.
Speaker 8: People were calling us for five days asking what was going on. People were wondering if the person was still out there. There were so many questions. People were wondering if there was a serial killer out there because there was no hint of we need to find a suspect. All we heard was that they were looking for surveillance video of the area and that was it. They never gave out a suspect description. They never said whether the suspect was in custody or not. They never said if there was a person of interest until the days leading up to the press conference. We didn't hear official word until Wednesday, So literally five days later after the fact, when something's happening the press conference, that was the first official word of that case. And I was actually the one filming that.
Speaker 1: Vye would go on to cover the case and the trial reporting that would put him and the media in general at odds with Renee high Tower. Beverly's mother, since the day of the murder, her belief in her daughter's innocence has not wavered. The daughter, who close friends and family, called Julie.
Speaker 6: That morning, I was at work.
Speaker 1: Renee was working at one of the gas stations she manages.
Speaker 6: I remember the ambulances going by my work because I was in my Marion store.
Speaker 1: Nothing clicked.
Speaker 6: Nothing was like, Oh my god, something's happened to one of my children, you know, or one of my grandchildren. Nothing clicked. I was just watching because they were going like an extra speed. To my coworker, I was like, oh my god, something really bad must to happen. Probably about four thirty PM, my niece called me, who lives in Salem, Massachusetts, and said she's seen something on social media.
Speaker 1: Nikki is the daughter of Renee's sister and lived in Marion with her family before they moved to Massachusetts after she graduated high school.
Speaker 10: I was just kind of doing my normal thing, chasing the kids around, and I had a few moments to pop on Facebook. And I still follow the local news station Eaton, though are not there for a while. I so to like to see what goes on in the community. And I thought a new story about murdered in a rutle area in Marion, and I was like, oh my god, that's so crazy, because nothing will like that happens, at least whenever I was growing up there. I clicked on the article and the picture just it looked so familiar, and I didn't want it to look familiar that it did. And when I clicked on the article it said Songbird Road. My heart sank because I knew it that's the road that Julie lived on. It was the tree in the front yard that did it, because it's a very odd looking tree. I called my aunt, Julie's mom, and I said, hey, if we call to Julie and she was like, no, no. I was like, there's there's been a murder on her road, and I think it here's her house.
Speaker 6: She sent me a picture and sure enough I recognized it to be Julie's house.
Speaker 1: You found out through a niece who lives halfway across the country who saw it on social media. Yes, four hours later, so I raced out there.
Speaker 6: I was about twelve to fifteen miles away, and I think I got there in three minutes until I and sure enough there's police vehicles everywhere and it's taped off, and I'm in a panic, and there's an officer at Kirk and I get out of my car and I'm asking, are the kids okay? Ma'am you'll have to go to the police station. I said, this is my daughter's house. Is she okay? He would not answer, you have to go a police sestion. In the meantime, I'm calling Julie, no answer. I'm calling Mike, no answer. I'm calling Sheila Jade, and nobody's answering the phone. So my panic level is rising with every time I try to call somebody.
Speaker 1: Because at that point, anybody could have been dead.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, And I finally get through to Sheila, Mike's mother, and I asked, what's going on?
Speaker 1: And is everybody okay?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 6: And I had a many questions and her response to me, if you hold on, I'll tell you so breath and she said to me, well, Jade's with our heavenly father now, and I just lost it, lost it. I was screaming no, and I quickly have to gather myself together again and ask what happened? And she said, do you want to talk to Mike? I said yes, So Mike tells me that she committed suicide, and I'm like, what makes an eleven year old girl. What was going on? Was she depressed? No, not that I know of, but Mom and Kim said she might have been feeling a little bit depressed.
Speaker 1: That initial confusion about the cause of death within the immediate family and the fact that police only informed one side of the family were just two of the issues that would define the investigation of Jade's murder and the case against Julia Beverly, as would what Renee recalls as a notable disconnect between Mike and his fiance. I'm like, where's Julie?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Have you talked to her? No, he hasn't talked to her. He hasn't spoken to the woman he lives with, who is the mother of two of his children. Yes, yeah, Why how did he explain that.
Speaker 6: He didn't He just said he hadn't talked to her. Now, I'm sure by this time they had taken Julie's phone, so she couldn't call or talk to anyone. But if you were down in the police station like her, I mean, did you ask about her?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: I think I don't know.
Speaker 6: But he didn't even know where she was, didn't know where she was, so I figured, well, this officer was telling me to go down to the police station. So I go down to the Sheriff's.
Speaker 1: Office, which is indeed where Julia was having agreed to be questioned, initially waiving her right to an attorney.
Speaker 6: I was asking if my daughter was there, and he asked who I was, and he said, we'll be down in a minute, and police officer Carl Gustantine came down and talked to me.
Speaker 1: Remember that name, Carl Gustantine will play a pivotal role in Renee's issues with the investigation and Julia's arrest. At this point, what time is it?
Speaker 6: Probably around five thirty pm going on six. He come down and he said, we've got a lot of questions that we're talking to her. It's going to be a while. And I said, well, I'm not going anywhere. As he's going back upstairs. I said, what would make an eleven year old commit suicide? And he looked at me strange and he said, who told you that? And I said her boyfriend, Mike, and he just said oh, and he went on and finished questioning my daughter. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. So I'm talking to.
Speaker 6: My oldest son, Michael, and he said, why do they still have her in there. It's been hours, and I was like, I don't know. I guess they got a lot of things to talk, you know, trying to figure this out. He's like, where's Mike. I said, I think he's at home. He's like, Mom, they're looking at her, at a suspect.
Speaker 1: Julie Willingly submitted for questioning yes, without representation, because it didn't occur to her that she was a suspect.
Speaker 6: Correct now. Julia had told me later on that she could feel a change in the wind within ten to fifteen minutes of being there. But then she's trying to brush it off. They're doing their job. They have to exclude family members before they fine, you know. So this is how she's playing it in her mind. This is their job, they have to do this. I'm reading too much into it, But she did say she could feel a change within ten minutes of them being there.
Speaker 1: Of the police being at her home, at the crime scene.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Much of this case seems to hinge on the fact. Beverly initially told police she had made it to Walmart before realizing she'd left her wallet at home, but surveillancege established she had not completed that journey here again is Whitney Nicole.
Speaker 9: They arrested her so fast, you know, and so I'm like, she must have been drenched in blood and had all this evidence, but come to find out, there was no bloody clothing of hers found. There was no blood found in her bedroom, or in her bathroom or even in their drain. So if she even took a shower, where did that blullod go? Where did her bloody clothes go? Where did weapon go?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 9: Like witnesses, no, nothing, And it's supposed to be beyond a reasonable doubt, you know, And there is nothing to even prove she should have even been arrested.
Speaker 1: Whitney Nicole also brings up something that makes those photos from the press conference with the Williamson County States Attorney more interesting.
Speaker 13: Oh, Julie's side, Juliet was shorter than Jade, and she waited like.
Speaker 9: Jade was one hundred and thirty pounds in five foot three. Julia was four to eight in one hundred and fifteen pounds.
Speaker 1: A quick clarification, Beverly is actually four foot eleven.
Speaker 9: Julia never even been in a fight before, and Anna was actually said by the bio mother of Jade that.
Speaker 1: She had taught Jade, so with the fence.
Speaker 9: So in that case, like you know, Julia never being in a fight, why it wasn't there more like the fence of wounds on her?
Speaker 1: You know when I mean? The photo than Williamson County State's Attorney Brandon Sonati released to the public of eleven year old Jade Beasley was actually over a year old, depicting Jade before a very substantial growth spurt, giving the false impression that Jade was smaller than Julia Beverly at the time of her death.
Speaker 4: We begin tonight with breaking news.
Speaker 5: A Williamson County jury has reached a verdict in the Julia Beverly trial.
Speaker 1: Two years later. It would take a jury just a little over one and a half hours of deliberation to deliver a verdict.
Speaker 10: She was found guilty of murdering eleven year old Jade Beasley.
Speaker 1: But many, including the prosecution and the victim's family, believe justice was served. After the verdict, the special prosecutor, Jennifer Mudge spoke to local news.
Speaker 11: Any child murder case means a lot, and there's a lot of stake and a lot of emotions involved, So you have to in a sense taken a little bit personally, but we did our.
Speaker 1: Jobs, as did Jade Beasley's mother, Jessica Bradley.
Speaker 4: Being able to be here for justice to be served to her was.
Speaker 1: A good ending. The concepts of justice and injustice are intertwined with crime and punishment, but in the case of this murder, they played heavily into the divisive aftermath that quickly seemed to split the city of Marion, and as social media activity. According to Beverly's cousin Nikki, so did race absolutely.
Speaker 10: I remember within hours of her being arrested, there were just people that had taken pictures from her Facebook profile because she had attended a Black Lives Matter rally with Mike a few weeks earlier, and it was in the Marian town square, and they had a picture of her holding up a sign that said no Jessice, no keys, and they were using that picture to like walk her and then everybody was dashing the whole Black Lives Matters movement. But they did proceed to cut Mike out of the picture because Houston and directly behind her year's two pictures and her race and her social stances against her. I do feel that maybe that could have also impacted the police from the get go because that stuff was in our house as well.
Speaker 1: I think she still had her sign from that so when responding officers came to that house, they would have seen black Lives Matter signage, right.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think the poster board that she had at the rally, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: It was in her living room. No Justice, No Peace. Her booking photo wasn't the only thing that appeared black and white. Julia Beverly is mixed race. For context, according to the most recent census, Marion, Illinois is eighty six percent white, while Renee high Tower, Julia's mother, is white. Julia and her three brothers are all mixed race. Julia's cousin, Nikki, is the daughter of Renee's sister, and when she lived in Marion, part of that white eighty six percent.
Speaker 10: That's one of the reasons why we relocated. I don't want to bad mouth where I'm from and where we grew up, but it is very much a predominantly white community, very heavily religious. Some of the things that I have growing up are a bit ridiculous. I remember an incident in our high school. There was very hard game Patrina Bill as a family that had been relocated, and they look a black boy who had been relocated to our school, and within a day somebody had picked a fight with him. They got into a physical altercation in his family. It is not a very inclusive community. I would say.
Speaker 1: Whitney Nicole is also part of that white eighty six percent, but her children are not. Do you think race played a role in the O Yes? And sex why?
Speaker 9: Because I witnessed it firsthand. I the racism. I witnessed the sexism. Say, okay, me being a white female and it was a spear against a black individual, they probably take it my aside. But say if it was between me I am another white male individual, take his side which I witness and I have experienced.
Speaker 1: Whitney attended every day of Julia Beverley's trial which unfolded in Marion. Do you think that Julie was judged by a jury of her peers?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 13: Oh, now, I think it was set up just the way they wanted it to be set up, like it was all.
Speaker 9: White, all white individuals, there was nobody of color.
Speaker 1: Renee high Tower is extremely aware of racial issues in Marion, having raised four mixed children into adulthood. There It's also interesting to note that two of Renee's three sons are active military. In addition, the man Julia considered her stepfather, Renee high Tower's ex husband, Angelo high Tower, was a sergeant and longtime officer of the Marian Police Department when he alleged discrimination due to his race when passed over for promotion in twenty fourteen. That's the same police department that assisted the Williamson County Sheriff's Office in the investigation of Jade.
Speaker 12: Another thing that I thought of before I forget is when you're talking about the shitty investigation here, when I was trying to get Julie's things out of the house that were left after the investigation was over, I called Carl Gusantine and I was talking to him. They did not even know that Julie owned that house.
Speaker 4: That's how deep that investigation went.
Speaker 12: Because he told me, you're going to have to talk to the owner, and I said, I did.
Speaker 6: She's sitting in jail right now.
Speaker 12: And I've got the longest pause from him, and then he said, well, they both own it, and I was like, no, Julie owns it and he's just sitting there. I'm not going to help you.
Speaker 6: Then I'm not going to help you. That's still matter. You're gonna have to talk to him.
Speaker 8: And he hung up on me.
Speaker 1: Murder on Songbird Road will return after the break. Now back to Murder on Songbird Road. Could Julia Beverly have been wrongfully convicted? Well, there does appear to be issues of possible injustice worthy of revisiting. There are also facts that remain problematic. Why did Beverly initially say she went to Walmart when her phone location and surveillance camera footage apparently show she turned around well before completing that trip. Why was there a significant delay according to the prosecution, thirty one minutes between the time Beverly returned home and found Jade before she called nine to one one. It turns out I wasn't the only person with questions or getting DMS about Julia Beverly. I just want to ask you how this case came on your radar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a funny story really because it was Renee and Renee I think had run into I don't necessarily know if she listened to My Gaycy season or she was listening to My Garcia season.
Speaker 1: That's Bob Mada, former criminal defense attorney turned prolific podcaster, best known for his work as the host of the podcast Defense Diaries, where, along with his wife Alison, also a defense attorney, he discussed his high profile criminal cases and the legal system from the perspective of his two decades practicing law.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be doing this if I hadn't done that as miserable as I was at the end of my legal career, because defense loitering is a gut wrenching profession. You're fighting the power of the government like non stop, never ending, and you're constantly losing. It's disheartening in a really fundamental way because you go into that profession wanting to really protect the rights of all of us, which is really what defense attorneys do.
Speaker 1: Turns out, Mata and I were drawn into the Beverly case in a fairly similar fashion.
Speaker 5: Renee reached out to me via email. Simultaneous to that, Whitney Nichole was hitting me up in my DMS.
Speaker 4: They were both sending me the same things.
Speaker 1: Mara and I had initially connected in February of twenty three.
Speaker 5: Because you would and I were talking about Christopher Vaughan. So you and I had this thing going on completely sevened and apart.
Speaker 1: His active community of defense diary listeners wanted his take on my take of Christopher Vaughn, who was sentenced in twenty twelve to four consecutive life sentences for the two thousand and seven shooting deaths of his wife and three children. The case was the focus of the Murder in Illinois podcast, which was released in twenty twenty one. You hit me up on Twitter, and I thought, oh, good God, here comes somebody wanting to attack me again for my support of Vaughn. And then it very quickly became obvious that you were intrigued. And that's when I just sent you everything, the trial transcripts and just said, come on, you know, let me know what you think.
Speaker 5: That gave me the answer in like the parallels between Julie's case and Christopher's case.
Speaker 4: In terms of like most people that kill.
Speaker 1: Have a reason, a motive, something.
Speaker 4: There's always a moment, and it doesn't exist here.
Speaker 1: You know, the outreach from Witne Nicole when she started blowing up my DMS started over a year ago. I didn't know what to think, but there was a very real thread of wrongful conviction red flags right the tunnel vision, the trial by media, the confirmation bias, and in this case racism. Racism for sure, but while race didn't play a role in the bond case. In addition to the tragic loss of young life, there are some other striking similarities with the case against Julia Beverly.
Speaker 5: Julie's case, in Christopher's case. The things that they said initially that were not truthful are always the hardest things to overcome in your own mind, because then when you start looking at the facts, especially with Julie's case in particular, they just don't add up.
Speaker 1: Murder in Illinois remains the most polarizing case I've personally covered. Questioning the integrity of the investigation and conviction that landed Vaughn in prison prompted some people to wish death on my children. That wasn't lost on me. When I waged looking into Julia Beverly's conviction, I was really wary of it because of my experience with taking on a family annihilator case in Illinois. So when I realized, oh no, it's Illinois again, and that this is a stepmother who has been arrested and ultimately convicted of the murder of a step daughter. I said, you know who you should call, Bob. I didn't know that you were already on Renee's radar.
Speaker 4: Renee hit me up and she's like, oh, I'm talking to Lauren. I'm like, what her and I have.
Speaker 5: Been working on Christopher Vaughan and me doing something on Vaughn for months, and I can't believe that the this never came up, and I just thought things are meant to be a little bit.
Speaker 1: Bob and I share a sense of pragmatic skepticism, but also recognize the timeliness and responsibility of discovering issues with this conviction before Beverly was even sentenced.
Speaker 5: You and I both know the stuff that we typically cover, especially you with your wrongful conviction work. I mean defendants that are in fifteen twenty years trying to get somebody to take a look at their case, knowing just how clogged the system is.
Speaker 4: You know, with this case, the.
Speaker 5: More I learned about it, the more I'm scratching my head and I'm like, man, something stinks about it.
Speaker 4: Something's not right, you know.
Speaker 1: Then you add the extra layer of the fact that yes, she's a stepmother, but she's also a mother. Yes, two at the time. Three other children, yes, two of them toddler age. Yes, she's been taken away from all of her children. And if she's innocent, I can't think of a more horrifying thing to experience me either.
Speaker 4: As a father of four.
Speaker 1: Julia Beverly has not seen the two daughters she shares with Mike Beasley since Jade Beasley's murder nearly four years ago, and there's an additional layer. Within weeks of her arrest, Julia Beverly discovered she was pregnant with her third child by Beasley, a pregnancy that ended in unfathomable cruelty, especially if the conviction of Julia Beverly proves to be a wrongful one. But there's another reason driving Beverly's supporters. If Julia Beverly is not the person who took Jade Beasley's life, there has been no justice for Jade. Here's Beverly's cousin, Nikki.
Speaker 10: It's scary because the person hinted it is still out there and nobody seems to care.
Speaker 4: Well, that's not.
Speaker 1: True, we seem to care. What happened to Jade Beasley is unfathomable and indefensible, and it is not our intention to disparage anyone living or dead, but rather to re examine this case with integrity and sensitivity while exploring whether Julia Beverley was justly charged, tried, and convicted, or whether pertinent facts and later developments that could have been utilized in her defense were intentionally overlooked or ignored. On the next Murder on Songbird Road, the ripple effect of Jade's murder rips apart relationships.
Speaker 12: I said that Jade is no longer with us, and you can see him kind of trying to swallow those tears and.
Speaker 1: Siblings do you want?
Speaker 8: I'm living with his mom and his two younger sisters to you know, get to see his siblings.
Speaker 1: But did the investigation end before it even began?
Speaker 6: Within an hour and a half, they were knock at our back door. They said they were there for Julie and they had a warrant for her arrests.
Speaker 1: Murder on Songbird Road is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our Executive producers are Taylor Chackoine and Lauren Bright Pacheco. Research writing and hosting by Lauren Bright Pacheco. Investigative reporting by Bob Matta and Lauren Bright Pacheco. Editing, sound design and original music by Evan Tyer and Taylor Chaqoine. Additional music by Asher Kurtz. Archival elements courtesy of WSIL News three. Please like, subscribe, and leave us a review. Wherever you're listening, you can follow me on all platforms at Lauren Bright Pacheco and email the show with thought, suggestions or tips at Investigating Murder at iHeartMedia dot com. For more iHeart podcasts, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your favorite shows. Thanks for listening.