Speaker 1: Can anybody tell me what is happening in Brooklyn?
Speaker 2: I am so serious that doesn't it feel toxic to you?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 2: Or does it feel broken? Like not quite broken broken?
Speaker 1: You know when you see like a crack in the glass and you're like that, like, I can't put wine in that. This is gonna be a bad night if I try to put some peno in that. So next GM, Sean Mars just gave an interview to the press exit interview of the season, and boy, oh boy, does it feel like they are at a crossroads. Truthfully, I don't think I've ever seen an end of season interview like this, maybe ever, I guess maybe Steven Silas, but that.
Speaker 2: Was a different thing.
Speaker 1: That was just like pitiful, we suck. I don't know how we get out of this hole. Like, someone help us. This is like, yo, hard decisions coming down.
Speaker 2: You know they're hard.
Speaker 1: We know they're hard, and we know you're gonna probably have to make the wrong decision because you have no other options. He talked about a few things that I wanted to point out because if you're not on s n Y TV on the Twitter feed, you might have missed him and his accent going off about the state of affairs with the Nets first and foremost question time.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sean, are the Nets committed to Kyrie Irving long term? Chirp chirp, chirp, chure, chirp shure.
Speaker 1: According to Sean Marks, does not appear that the answer is an overwhelming yes.
Speaker 2: The answer is we'll see. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Here is what Sean Marks had to say from his own mouth.
Speaker 3: We have to factor all of that in.
Speaker 4: You know, when when you're honestly where we are, when you're giving somebody a minimum contract and it doesn't pan out, it's still factors into how you're building a roster and how much tax you're paying and so forth. So certainly when you're looking at players that are making thirty or forty million dollars so potentially making that you have to factor in everything. And that's you know, that's your's.
Speaker 3: That's the hard part of the business.
Speaker 4: Right We can all see what they can do on the court. It's one thing when you when you're evaluating players, whether it's at the college level or at the pros, like what makes them sick, what goes into you know, you know, what drives them? Do they want to be part of this, you know, are they motivated by something that maybe the you know, there's not good for the whole team here. So those are questions we're going to have to ask ourselves and also ask the players that.
Speaker 3: We want to bring back in here.
Speaker 1: Now forty eight seconds, folks said a lot first and foremost, a lot of obscucation, big words, just ducking and dodging out of the way with saying yes, as long as Kyrie wants to be here, we want Kyrie to be here. Did not say that, Diddy. You also made sure to point out we're looking for guys that want to be a part of something bigger than themselves, not just in the world Kyrie, within this basketball organization. This is very specific. We're not talking about you getting on zoom calls with Cynthia Nixon. We're talking about this Nett organization right here. Okay, play team basketball and be available and be available. Here's another little clip that was definitely not supposed to be about Kyrie, but it was.
Speaker 4: The culture is always going to change and tweak as to who comes in here.
Speaker 3: Did we take a step back?
Speaker 4: You know, without a doubt, without a doubt, the culture isn't what it quite was, and it's going to be our job, you know, to pick that up, and between Steve and myself as leaders of that, we will certainly be doing that. But again, we've got to find the players again that are going to drive that culture. It has to be driven by players. It cannot be driven by one or two people. It's got to be driven by the players. They've got to want it. We've got to find players again that have the characteristic that support that which is going to be a little bit of that gret and determination and fight. I think we know we're looking for, you know, we're looking for guys that want to come in here and be part of something bigger than themselves, play selfless, play team basketball, and be available. And that goes not only for Kyrie, but for everybody here.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, are they motivated by something that's not good for the whole team here?
Speaker 2: Do they want to be a part of this?
Speaker 1: Shots fired, Kyrie, get your ass together, and they're over a barrel. He can sign the player option if he chooses, as Sean Marks noted, but there's a lot of bad decisions, and pretty much all of them in with you signing Kyrie, irving you a five year deal right now, Like they pretty much all end up there, Like you try to go to choose your own adventure and then you end up you know, when there's like the flow chart and you just end up at the same spot no matter what the flow is, like, whatever part of the flow chart you decide, it just ends up with signing Kyrie to a max five years.
Speaker 2: You're gonna do it now or you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Do it a year from now, so you're even pushing the timeline out another year.
Speaker 4: Sheesh.
Speaker 1: Also another thing that Sean Mars had to say, I couldn't find the club, but it was a quote on the New York Post that also gave me a little perk up. They asked him about the culture, Sean Marks, what do you think he said?
Speaker 2: You think he said it was good? Then do you think he said it was good? What do you think? Uh?
Speaker 1: Did we take a step back? This culture is not what it used to be. It's going to be our job to pick that up. Between Steve Nash and myself as the leaders of that, we'll be doing that. We've gotta find players that'll drive the culture. It has to be driven by players. It cannot be driven by one or two people aka me and Steve Nash. It has to be driven by the players. They've got to want it. We've got to find players that have the characteristics to support that which is going to be grit, determination and folks, do they want to be part of this? Are they motivated by something that's not good for the team. We need to build a culture. Culture has taken a step back. Can't be driven by me and Steve needs to be driven by players.
Speaker 2: All of these things. Do you see where we're going? He also mentioned that because they have huge contracts on.
Speaker 1: The books, that the roster will be and I quote, a revolving door. Sir, how let me ask you truthfully, and I wish I was there? How do you build an elite culture if your roster is a revolving door? How do guys buy into being a part of something greater than themselves if they don't even know how long they're going to be somewhere there for? We'll move on from this so much to impact. I also want to know what the happened with James Harden?
Speaker 2: What's happening with him? All right? This is what he has to say about Harden.
Speaker 3: It's a two Way Street.
Speaker 4: Whenever you bring a player in here to any organization or anybody for that matter, not even a player, and it's not a fit, you know, you have to look in the mirror and you have to say, okay, what could we have done differently? The onboarding piece is easy, right, everybody can say, hey, look come here, I can sell this, that and that. It's the off boarding piece. That's where you've got to make sure, Well, why did I debrief on this?
Speaker 3: Did I really debate? Did I really do everything I could?
Speaker 4: Did we as an organization do everything we could for not only James, for everybody that comes through those doors.
Speaker 3: So it's a good point for us to reflect on it.
Speaker 4: But again, I think when players' minds are made up, and James's mind is made up, you know, I think it's also foolish to try and change their minds to that extent too.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, if it's not a fit.
Speaker 4: And you're paying a guy thirty plus million dollars and it doesn't work, you have to make it a decision. And you know, I think that's something that we did. We pivoted, quickly, moved, and we weren't stuck trying to figure out decisions and what could have been and you know it's time to move on from that perspective. How important was it for the organization to reconnect with the fan base in that way and get that support through the year. Absolutely incredible. I mean, you know, you guys have all been in Baclas. You know what it sounds like, and you know the energy that's in that building. And to have, you know, to be quite fanctive being here six years and to see sort of where it's coming, to see it continue to grow.
Speaker 1: You pivoted fast.
Speaker 2: You got rid of his ass. Is are you seeing what I'm seeing here? Culture? Guys don't want to be here? What are we doing to.
Speaker 1: Cause guys to get turned off so much that they were just here and now they're forcing their way out? Then he told uh, I want to say the athletic earlier. It's just a feeling. It's a feeling of when you know this is not working when it's on the court, off the court for a variety different circumstances. I give James credit for telling us, being open.
Speaker 2: Up front and on us.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be here anymore. This motherfucker Kyrie Irving is crazy. He won't get vaccinated. I have to play all the minutes. My fat ass is not in shape for this. The whole tenor of this presser was just like.
Speaker 2: We want to make people be here. James Harden didn't want to be here.
Speaker 1: Veil jabs at Kyrie and by the way, Ben Simmons, who isn't playing basketball and making thirty million dollars, lots of shots fired here.
Speaker 2: Team, honestly, to me, show, this is a show. I look back and I sit back in my seat, and.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to be as open minded and as optimistic and as pushing pe as I can. There's too many things going on. There's just too many things, extra things that make it roadblocks for this team to win KI and then you need to figure out you can pay Kyriek Max's contract.
Speaker 2: He's injury prone. We don't even talk his walkabouts anymore.
Speaker 1: Like the walkabouts just like an issue that just has fallen off the ledger because it's a COVID thing. Like no, he took a leave of absence without asking the team and decided I'll come back whenever I want. He was not playing when James Harden trade went down. He was going to his sister's birthday party, getting suspensions.
Speaker 2: Not wearing masks.
Speaker 1: I love Kai I love his game. I just want to say, for the record, I love Kyrie Irving. I'm a big Kyrie Irving fan. Damn it does.
Speaker 2: He make it hard to be in his camp.
Speaker 1: And I know how bosses are, I know how employees and employer relationships go down. It doesn't take much for them to say, ah.
Speaker 2: Should we maybe go different direction.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It doesn't matter how talented you are, but all the they'll say, like, you're a great talent on the floor, but all the off the court stuff, Kyrie, we just need to worry about, are you really committed to being here? This conversation's gonna be on call comfortable. It's going to lead to Kyrie even getting the max. But I'm telling you they're not happy about it. Drama, drama, drama, and I don't think they become if you take a bet on the nets on them being a favorite to win the title again after everything went down, You're an idiot.
Speaker 2: That's all I have to say about that.