Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Hello listeners, Today John and I are bringing you something rather special. While we're off on our little break. We thought you would all enjoy listening to an episode of Money Stuff, the podcast. You may already be familiar with Bloomberg Opinion columnist Matt Levine. Matt rats the Money Stuff newsletter. He used to be an investment banker at Goldman, Sachs and m and a lawyer, and now he's a podcaster. Every week, Man's joined by Katie Greifeld, a journ us with Bloomberg News and an anchor for Bloomberg Television. They chat about quirky story from Wolf Street Finance in the world of business. It's fun, sometimes weird, but it's all about stuff related to money. Listen, enjoy, and be sure to subscribe.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to The Money Stuff Podcast, your weekly podcast where we talk about stuff related to money. I'm Matt Levian and I read the Money Stuff column for Bloomberg Opinion.
Speaker 1: And I'm Katie Greythel, a reporter for Bloomberg News and an ink for Bloomberg Television. Katie, we got some news this week, Oh big time. We're going to talk about Bill Ackman. Obviously, we're going to talk about Andrew Left, which should be fun, and then we're going to talk about BONDI TFS, which maybe will maybe we'll be fun. We'll find out.
Speaker 3: Where to start.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, So we went from twenty five billion dollars to two and a half to four billion dollars to two billion dollars. Now we're at I think zero dollars.
Speaker 3: There was kind of a pits up at ten billion as well.
Speaker 1: I know I was in there somewhere.
Speaker 3: There's a hard gap at ten billion, which which they did not hit the hard gap.
Speaker 1: No, no, So I don't even know what to say. I mean, this was pretty spectacular to follow. We knew that he was road showing this IPO of a closed end funds Pershing Square USA exactly. He has a European version which trades at a big discount, which is a material part of this story, and it kept getting downsized and now it was pulled entirely. They're reevaluating it. And along that path we got a letter that was released which maybe Bill Lackman didn't know was going to be released, and then we had some investors bowing out as well.
Speaker 3: Right. So the story started with they're doing a road show for this IPO. There was talk of it being twenty five billion dollars, which would be a lot of money for a closed end fund or just in general, it would be a very very very large IPEA. So he's got all these companies, right. So he runs a hedgehund called Pushing Square. There's a management company that runs the hedge funds, and that like collects the fees from the hedge funds and the clothes end funds. And he recently sold about a ten percents take in the management company to a few institutional and High night Worth investors. And last week he sent a letter to those guys, those people who were investors in his management company, saying essentially, hey, it would be really helpful if you had put in orders in the Pushing Square USA closes Undfund IPO. And I read that letter and it seemed to me that that's not a good sign. I probably underplayed this when I wrote about it, because there are other possible interpretations, right, Like, one possible interpretation is that b. Lackman is just unusually candid about how the IPO process works to his management company investors, but it sort of seemed like he was saying, hey, guys, it would really help out a lot if you could put it in an order. Yeah. I used to be a capital markets banker and you would do a deal and you would get calls from investors and they would say, how's the deal going, And there's only one answer you can give them. You say, the deal is going great. There's so much demand. You really better put your order in because otherwise you're going to miss out. Because this deal is going so good, so many people wanted to buy it. You can't like necessarily lie if the deal is going poorly, but you say things like, oh, there's a lot of interest, we're having a lot of meetings. The feedback is really good. You should put in your order quick, right. You try to create the sense of excitement. If the deal is not going well, then like you might call up your best friend investor and say, hey, it would really help out if you had put it in a big order, because that would get us over the line, that would create some momentum. And it sort of seemed like that was what Acman was doing by sending this letter to the people who were already in his management company. Problem is if you do that publicly, everyone can read it, and no, that's a bad sign. So I do think that, like the letter did not necessarily help very much, because I do think that some people read it and think, well, this suggests that there's not a ton of demand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was just going to bring up bow Posts because he did name a few investors in that letter to investors saying hey, it would help if you could invest more. He mentioned that bow Post Capital had previously committed to investing one hundred and fifty million dollars, and then Bloomberg News broke the news that actually they were pulling out. There weren't reasons given, but reportedly he didn't like being named.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, no one wants to be named as the endorser for a deal. Nless, I've sort of explicitly agreed to that. I think the Blueberg story suggested that there's some political seth Klerman as a Democrat and Bill Ackman has become like a very vocal Trump supporter. But I don't know. I think that either of those are possible explanations. But like, here's another explanation. If you interpreted that letter to mean there's not a ton of demand. Then even if you were already in the book, you would take your order out of the book, right, yeah, Because this is the problem with this thing is like, you can be a long term investor, right, you can say, I like Bill Ackman. I think that he's going to compound my money at a high rate, and so I want to be invested in his fund, and I'll invest you know, this month and hold it for ten years and expect Bill Ackman to compound my money for me. But the problem is that on the first day of trading, this thing is either going to trade up or it's going to trade down. And as you said, his existing clothes unfund trades at a big discount to its net acid value. Most closed un funds traded discounts to their net acid value. And so if you're an investor, instead of buying the shares at fifty dollars in the IPO, you might say, well, I'll just wait until the next day and I'll buy them at a discount. I'll buy them at like forty five or whatever. So it would be sort of silly to buy in the IPO if you could wait to buy at a discount. The whole point in the IPO process is for Bill Acmin to tell people, no, no, it's going to trade it at a premium, right, And so he makes that case in this letter that he sent these investors and that was then made public sort of by accident. He makes the case that is going to trade at a premium. You know. The essential case is that a lot of retail investors, for one reason or another, aren't going to get shares in the IPO. Like the main one is that most retail investors, most retail brokerages aren't going to get allocated anything in the IPO. Also, there are some European retail investors who would want to buy shares, but who can't buy them in the IPM. So all these retail investors want to buy shares in the Bill Ackman IPO, they can't buy it at the time of the IPO, so they'll buy it the next day in the aftermarket, and there'll be so much retail demand and maybe so much institutional demand that the IPO will trade up, and if you wait to buy in the aftermarket, you'll have to pay fifty five dollars a share instead of fifty dollars a share. But the IPO was so big that the really essential question is is there going to be enough institutional demand in the aftermarket? Is there going to be institutional demand the next day? And there were just kept being indications that there was just not enough institutional demand to like price a really tight large IPO. And so if you thought that there wasn't that much institutional demand, then you'd say, well, it'll trade down to forty five and I'll wait until the buy the next day, and then there will be no institutional demand. Right, If everyone's going to wait to buy it, then no one will buy it in the IPA.
Speaker 1: Well, two points on that, the first one being this statement that they put out. Did acknowledge that they said that this question that's the whole thing? Yeah, basically, would investors be better served waiting to invest in the aftermarket than the IPO? Yes, it sounds like I mean, if you just look at the history of closed end funds. Also to the point of retail demand, I mean, Bill Lackman has a million something follow on Twitter, which is a lot. That's a huge audience, but it seems quite tricky to turn followers into investors. That's not necessarily guaranteed. And you think about the following that he has on Twitter. I would imagine that the majority of those people, or at least a sizable portion, aren't necessarily following him for his investing acumen.
Speaker 3: He'd be sad. I mean, I hear you, right. I mean he's he's courting controversy and a lot of Twitter opinions and not mainly tweeting about. Part of that, by the way, is like he has said that he wants to be able to tweet more about investing and because of like the legal structures that he currently operates, and he can't just go have his toc pics on Twitter, and once he launches Pershing Threw USA, he can. But yeah, I hear you, right, I mean, like his Twitter following is not purely about investing.
Speaker 1: What I am wondering is what this means for the overall Pershing Square IPO. Because he did sell that ten percent stake for a billion dollars, just over a billion dollars, And I mean they've said that the success of this pie sus IPO is very important to the eventual IPO of Pershing Square.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean he sold a ten percent stake in the management company. The management company is just like the thing that collects fees from the funds that he runs. Right right now, he runs about eighteen billion dollars worth of funds, and they sold the stake in the management company at a ten billion dollar valuation. It's sort of crazy to imagine that the entity that collects fees on eighteen billion dollars worth of funds is worth ten billion dollars, right, They can't be right, right? That implies that he would take like half of the value from his investors' funds for himself or for his investors. Now, the only way you can get to a ten billion dollar valuation for the management company is if you think that the management company is very soon going to manage a lot more money. And I think, obviously the case that was made to these management company investors is we are going to transform from a smallish hedge fundition manager to a sort of more institutional asset manager that attracts it's a lot of retail interest and a lot of institutional interest, and runs tens of billions of dollars and has a publicly traded permanent capitol vehicle and has like this steady stream of large earnings from running large amounts of money and then you know, I think if you were investing in the measurment company, somewhere in your mind was the notion of a twenty five billion dollar pieces IPO and a zero dollar pieces IPO makes that case more challenging. The other thing I want to say about the management company is so I wrote on Thursday about the problem here, which is that it's very hard to sell these shares at nav because you expect to close on fund to trade at a discount. Everyone wants a discount. Well, how do you sell the shares at a discount? Because the shares are just a it's a pot of money, right, So you can't sell you know, one hundred dollars worth of money at ninety dollars because then you only have ninety dollars. So how do you create a discount? And I wrote about some possible ways to do that, which come down to kind of pershing square putting in some money, with several reader emailed me immediately to be like, well, here's the obvious way to do it. The obvious way to do it is to put some of the management company into pieces. So instead of really I've been seating the fund with like a billion dollars of his own money for free. He could see it with ten percent of pushing square the management company for free, and then Pieces would have a net asset value more than just the cash that investors put in. And then the investors say, okay, I'm getting a discount and they put in their money, and this is a good idea. And you know, someone drew the analogy to like Vanguard, where Vanguard investors do own a piece of the management company. It's because it's a mutual company. But the problem here is you sort of already promised the management company in an IPO to these other investors, right, so to say we're going to push the management company into pieces is a little bit more challenging. So what does it mean for the for the IPO added, it's like a setback, right, I mean the IPO was I think premised on the Pieces IPO going really well, and with him having a hard time raising money for Pieces, it's harder to get to a ten billion dollar valuation for the management company.
Speaker 1: There's also the question of why does he want to be public, Like why does he want to take the overall hedge fund company public? I mean, there aren't many of them The obvious example is the Sculptor Rhythm thing, which didn't exactly turn out well, which also had Bill Lackman involvement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, minor involvement. Yeah, I don't know. You know, the reason for launching the Clothes End Fund is quite straight apward, right, I mean, you have permanent capital vehicle. You get to go on TV and twet your stock picks and then hopefully you can create some momentum in your stocks.
Speaker 1: I mean, he could just launch an ETF. I'll just say it. I know, I know, permanent capital. That's very exciting. I still don't quite understand clothes and funds. I get it from the manager's point of view, permanent capital, that seems really great. But from the investor point of view, I don't know why you would do that.
Speaker 3: No, I think he can make a good case for that here because he is not possibly like takeover or inclined investor. Then knowing how much money you have for the long term is actually really important, right. I mean, if you have an ETF and they're withdrawals and you still have of your positions, right, that is easy to do if you are just the index one, right, But it's harder to do if you are doing the kinds of trades that the Lagmann wants to do, which are like these like long term fundamental equity and trades, but also like you know, derivative trades. I mean, like some of their track record is from CDX beats going into COVID, and again that's harder to do if your capital can vanish every night. So I think that from his perspective, it's obviously good to have permanent capital. And I think he can make the case to investors that actually, like permanent capital is the way that I create value and ETF doesn't make sense for the for the kind of investing that I do. I think that's a reasonable case.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the question of why does he want to take the manager company public, I don't know. I mean some of it is like I think anyone else, like, you know, you want some legacy, right, I Mean, there's this perception that with like the sort of famous hedge fund managers of like Acman's vent. It's like there's a perception that the management company is like that one guy. And I think that they would like to have a proof of concept that actually it's an institution and really the investing team has kind of transitioned away from him, and it's not just him, and it's a permanent entity that will exist forever and provide wealth for him forever, right, instead of like when he quits, the thing vanishes. So I think there's a temptation for anyone who runs a company to take that company public so you can, you know, take money off the table and have permanent shares instead of just like your own labor. But right, the track record of it is kind of challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's see if pieces gets off the ground when it comes to the eventual pershing square IPO. Apparently he's already thought of how to make this structure work. That was also in the press release that don't.
Speaker 3: Get excited, Yeah, excited to see like next week's piece of structure. I think putting part of the management company into it, putting some cash into it that doesn't come from investors or possibilities. Yeah, you know, I wrote it in a foot like SPACs do kind of provide the technology for this, right, Like get spac at a very high level, is a sponsor puts in some money to pay the startup costs, then the sponsor kind of sells shares at net asset value to investors, and then if the sponsor does a good job and finds a good deal, the sponsor gets a lot of like free upside. So there's this like carter, where like if the thing is those kind of me the shareholders get all their money back, so they are protected against the problems of investing it at NAV and then having the NAV go down. If the thing does poorly, then the manager the sponsor eats the loss, and if the thing does really really well, the shareholders give up some of the upside and it goes to the sponsor, and so the sponsor has the sort of asymmetric trade where the sponsor puts in some money that's at risk, but then if it does really well, the sponsor makes a lot of money. You can imagine a structure like that for pieces, where you know, Bill Ackman seeds it with money, and if it trades below net asset value, he kind of bears the first loss so that the investors who buy in the IPO still get at least the amount of money they put in. And then if the thing does really well, he gets warrants or something so that he gets upside to compensate him for that like, that's a structure that could work. You could do something like that. That's easy enough.
Speaker 1: That's some good ideas here.
Speaker 3: Party wants to, you know, quit podcast and then go structure pieces mark two. But most of me, it doesn't. Most of me just wants the podcast about it. Andrew Left.
Speaker 1: Andrew Left, So this story broke. I think it was on Friday.
Speaker 3: That's right, because I wrote on Friday and then I published on Saturday. Because I didn't hit the send button on my email. That's really I don't that is.
Speaker 1: Made mistake there amateurs.
Speaker 3: To call him on Friday on the web and the terminal, and then I didn't hit send on the email, and no one told me until I told my wife I published the column, and she's like, oh, I didn't get it. Next.
Speaker 1: Wow. I feel like there's some arbitrage to do there.
Speaker 3: If you had the inside information about my column, you could have traded Andrew Left features a day early. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I bring that up the timeline because it feels crazy that we haven't talked about this yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just missed it last week.
Speaker 1: So set the scene for us at the table.
Speaker 3: So Andrew Left is a guy on Twitter. There's a lot of people like this who are activists short sellers. So what he does is he finds companies that he thinks are bad, sometimes on valuation, often because he thinks they're frauds, and he shorts their stock and then he publishes angry reports saying what a fraud they are, and then he tweets those reports and then their stock goes down, and that's how he makes money. A lot of these people are guys on Twitter who may or may not have something like Ahead fund or something called a hedge fund. But when Andrew Left got in trouble last week the SEC, one of its complaints about him was that he wasn't really running a hedge fund. He didn't know outside money. He was just a guy investing his personal account. I assume a lot of activists shorts are just guys investing their personal accounts. But it just sounds nicer. So Andrew Left is Andrew Left, but he's also Sitron Research, which just sounds fancier than just being a guy on Twitter. And honestly, I think he's kind of earned it, like he's had a good track record of spotting frauds. You know, he really was instrumental in spotting big problems at Valiant Pharmaceuticals a few years ago in a way that really took billions of dollars off that market cap and was good investigative work. And he has a good track record of finding companies that will go down. So that's his deal. And last Friday, the SEC and the Department of Justice brought charges against him for doing alleged fraud. And basically they're accusing him of doing a reverse pupping dump. Right instead of like saying hey, you should buy the stock and then selling it, he said hey, you should short the stock, and then he bought it. So their accusation is that he would shorten these stocks. He would publish angry reports calling them frauds, and then kind of the minute he published the stock would go down and he would buy back the stock. So five minutes or an hour a day after he published his report, he was no longer short so he took all the risk off the table, and the SEC one I think, just doesn't like that because it just seems like if you're doing it that way, you don't really think the stock is a fraud. You just want to move the stock down so you can make money, and you don't care what happens after that. I don't think that's right. I think the SEC is wrong about that. I think that Andrew Left has a lot of incentive to care about what happens after that first day because this is his livelihood. And if he's always wrong, the stocks will stop going down and this will stop working. The only way this works is that every time he says this company is a fraud, there's a good chance the company is actually a fraud. And if he keeps having a pretty good hit rate, then the stocks will keep going down and he can keep collecting profits on the first day and he doesn't have to wait until, you know, a year later when the company goes bankrupt. But the whole thing doesn't work unless he's got a pretty good head rate. So the SEC doesn't like it for I think some reasons that are wrong. But the SEC also doesn't like it because he lied about it a lot, Like he would go on television and the reporters would say, sorry, you're still short, and he'd say, I'm still short, but he actually had covered So it's like bad, you can't do that. And you know, you think about like a pumping dump, like a classic pumping dump. There's like nothing to it. It's like some guy in a telegram chat room saying they got to buy this microcap stock because it's going to go to the moon, and maybe they give some business case for it, but everyone knows they're kidding. You know, Oh, it's discovered a cure for cancer. And then the stock goes up a little bit and the pump and dumper dumps the stock, and the pumping nupper says, oh, I'm holding on until he gets through one hundred, and I'm all in on this, but he's lying and he's already sold the stock, and the sec sort of sees that in reverse and Andrew left. But I think the difference really is that a pump and dumper normally has no basis for recommending the stock other than like, if we all buy the stock, it'll go up, right. It's just a pure social market dynamic thing. And the only thing that that the audience cares about is that this pump and number is buying the stock. And if the pump and number is actually selling the stock, then like, yeah, it looks like fraud. With Andrew left, I don't think that's how it works. Like, I don't think people were shorting those stocks or selling those stocks because they're like, oh, Andrew Left is short, I'd better be short too. I think they were short in the stocks because Andrew Left published reports saying this company is a fraud, and they thought that's probably true, and often it was true. The SEC complains about this company called Kronoscrip, which is like cannabis company, and it was trading like like nine or ten dollars. And Andrew Left said, I think this is a fraud, and I have a price target of three dollars and fifty cents, and then like the next minute, you know, the stock goes down and he covers his short and he never waits for it to get to three dollars and fifty cents and he gets out of the trade, and then you know, he lies about it and says I'm still short even though he's actually not short. But that stuff got to like two dollars and settled an SEC's case for fraud. He was not wrong. Yeah, So like there's a lot of that where the SEC focuses on what he said about his own trading, but it doesn't focus on whether his reports were honest or accurate. And to me, this is not the law. But to me, like if the reports were honest and he was, you know, largely right, then like yeah, no harm, no fel.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about what the bright red bad thing was. Was it that he was lying about his actual position in the stock. Had he not said oh I'm still short when he actually had closed out his position, would we be having this conversation?
Speaker 3: I think not. I mean the actual stuff that he's accused of lying about is mostly that. And then a lot of like he occasionally did deals with other investors where they would pay him for research or there he would you know, he would give them idea they have profit share. There was some like economic deals with other investors where he would deny. You would go around saying we've never been paid for research. We never like partner with any hedge fund. We're always independent, and in fact that wasn't really true. And again the SEC really did get mad at him for saying he was a hedge fund. He would like tweet things like, you know, we want to reassure our investors that blah blah blah, and I oh you don't have investors right, like yeah, like that's dishonest, and like some pumpin' uppers, like do sort of create the impression that they run a lot of money for outside investors in order to like gin up an audience. But I don't know. I feel like everyone kind of knew he was a guy on Twitter with like airs and like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I loved what you had in your column about like him tweeting that about like we want to re ensure investors, and you compared that to you know, you want to reassure your furro one k investors as the manager of your four oh one K. I did lol in my car at that.
Speaker 3: I love it. By the way, you were reading my column in your car, which I know means listening to your robot read it exactly. I just feel like there's a lot of people in financial markets who are like, I've an ETF in my personal account one, so like I basically been a fund manager. Yeah, you know, anyone could be a fund manager. Those are the things that the SAC is mad about. And I think if he didn't do any of those things, which are all really ancillary to like what people were reading him for, then I think he probably wouldn't get in trouble. I would caveat that by saying again, I really do think that a lot of people really, really really dislike the business model of shorting a company, publishing bad stuff about the company, and then immediately covering. Like even if he never lied about that, even if he said in the fine print of his report like I could cover it any time, and then when he went on TV and they said have you covered, he said no comment or even yes, Like, I think that people would still be really mad about that, because it just seems like that it's dishonest, and I don't think it is, but I do realize that people find it upsetting. People think that if you're doing that, you can't really believe that the company is a front. And to me, it's just there's like a division of labor where he is in the business, so spotting the frauds, calling attention to them, profiting from that first day move and then moving on to the next thing and other people will provide the long term capital to be short the frauds all the way down or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we should probably point out that he has pleaded not guilty to fraud charges.
Speaker 3: Oh I think he might win. I think you might win, Like, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his lawyer is basically. I mean he's making similar arguments to what you're saying that Left had no duty to disclose his personal trading intentions. He also added that the government wasn't accusing Left of publishing false information, and that feels important.
Speaker 3: That's true, and it's so important. You know, it's not important, I think to the SEC is like to the government's like analysis of its legal case, but it's so important to everyone else. It's so important to me. Right, If he's publishing reports saying these companies are frauds and they're all frauds, like, what is the problem with that?
Speaker 1: Maybe he should just be a journalist. I mean he make a lot less money, That's the thing. He'd win the moral moral argument every time, would you.
Speaker 3: That's true journalists too, and they don't.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a good question to propose to the broader public. Which do you dislike more journalists or short sellers. I don't know who would win or lose, however you want to phrase it. Robin Wigglesworth had a really long and interesting piece on fixing come ETFs, basically eating the bond market. He wrote it with Will Schmidt, and I have to say that the headline ETFs are eating the bond market. I thought this was going to be a negative story, but I don't think this is necessarily a negative piece.
Speaker 3: So he quotes me a little bit because I used to have a running gag.
Speaker 1: That's the important part.
Speaker 3: People are worried about bond market liquidity, and the notion was like there was the I don't know, a four year period where financial journalists kept saying, bond etf start eating the bond market, and it's so bad because in a crisis, people will be so used to the liquidity of bond ETFs and then when they get their bonds out, they won't be able to sell them and bond prices will go down. And I never understood this concern and thought it was very silly, and now it seems to have gone away, and ratheran now has this piece saying that bond ETFs are eating the bond market and that's good, and I think that I agree. It seems right.
Speaker 1: It does seem good. I mean, there is, or there used to be, and maybe there still is, but now it just seems a little bit silly. A lot of doom and gloom about bond ETFs. We talked a little bit about the liquidity mismatch last week. I feel like all of those fears were put to rest in March twenty twenty when the FED started buying ETFs, specifically, they started buying corporate bond ETFs, and they didn't buy that many, but they bought bond ETFs. So you have the FED stamp of approval on the structure, and everything turned out fine. Like, I can't imagine a better test.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that. I mean, it's not just the FED, right, I mean, it's like, in that period of crisis, it was hard to trade bonds, I think because it's always hard to trade bonds and a crisis, but it was very easy to trade ETFs, and so I think the perception is that most market participants felt that the ETFs were adding to liquidity rather than subtracting, because at least you could trade the ETF right, which will allowed you to do some sort of like macro positioning around credit, even if it was hard to get off individual bond trades. But I think the other point of Robin's piece is that the ETFs have largely made it easier to get off actual bond trades for a combination of reasons. One of which is that there are all these new dealers who you know, the sort of Jane Streets of the world, who are big ETF market makers. And if you're a big ETF market maker, then as bond ETFs get bigger, you have to get into bond ETF market making. And if you're an ETF market maker, you have to trade both the ETF and the underlying And so Jane Street and all the other inflatrading and all the ETF firms have gotten into bond trading, and so that's another source of liquidity and another set of market makers, another set of balance sheets. And as banks have retreated from market making and a lot of financial products, you have new bond traders that have made bond trading a little bit more liquid. And he also talks about portfolio trading, where instead of trading one bond at a time, you can call up Jane Street and say I have four hundred bonds I want to sell, and they're like, yeah, we could probably stuff most of those into an ETF. So it's fine, Yeah, we'll take them all. And so instead of kind of paying four hundred bit ask spreads, you kind of pay a tighter bit ask spread on a single portfolio, and that's I think improved liquidity for a lot of actual bond managers. So it's a very rosy story of like bond ETFs have made bond market liquidity nicer.
Speaker 1: It's really a beautiful tale, and I love listening to it and reading it over and over again. I am interested to see how it evolves. Colo ETFs. I remember when those laun sometime in the past three to four years, there was a lot of pearl clutching about that. And there's one ETF in.
Speaker 3: Protarity lead some pearl clutching.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. It's a very scary three letter acronym. But there's this one colo ETF. The ticker is j triple A. It is so big. I think it recently got to ten billion dollars. It's by far the biggest. And there's some people who have pointed out that there's so much demand for this specific ETF, and you know, some of the flow is starting to increase to the other ETFs as well, that it's starting to potentially tighten spreads on clos just because all this money keeps pouring in, the ETF has to keep buying clos and that's actually having an impact in the cash markets as well, which is interesting. Like the question that that raises in my mind is you know, now you have this super accessible wrapper. Maybe it's introducing a new class of investors into that asset class who didn't want to take the time to figure out how to do the mechanics of it before, but now it's super easy, and now you're seeing the ETFs potentially impact that market.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Like a CLO is a relatively painful thing to hold compared to an et which is the stock. Right, So like, if you're a retail investor and you want cl exposure, you can buy a CLO ETF, But also if you're an institution, it's an easier thing to get your head around, and it's an easier thing to trade too. Right, if you want one day of CLO exposure, you can buy the ETF in the morning and sell it in the afternoon, which you can't do as easily with a big diversified portfolio of cls. The story that you told the spreads coming in, it's just in any product, if liquidity is improved, you should expect the valuation of the product to go up right, and the spreads to come in and the ETF technology just improves the liquidity of anything at wraps. And so if you have some audience that would have set out it's like a pain to hold whatever, But we can hold a ETF form, and you put an ETF form, then the liquidity of that product, of the underlying product goes up and the spreads go down. And obviously, you know, the example that we've talked about before is bitcoin, right, I mean Bitcoin was for some subset of investors a pain to hold, and then you put an ETF and bitcoin prices go up. So I think that it's a sort of general use technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like the story of ETF so much of it just comes back to convenience. Like there's a few ETFs out there that just hold two year treasuries, and I remember when those launched, there are a lot of crank saying like why bother, why would I pay someone to do this for me? It's like, because it's easy. It's the easiest thing on earth to just click a button, you buy an ETF and then you don't have to worry about buying those bonds yourself. You know, it's about to say, I wonder how we're going to fit ETFs into next week's episode. But I'm going to Paris, so oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: An important programming note. Katy's in Paris and what is the podcast will be off next week?
Speaker 1: Right yeah, I'm so excited for me.
Speaker 3: Are you watching horse Olympics?
Speaker 1: I am going to the Olympics. I am definitely going to see track and field. I'm so excited, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Your other sporting love? Is there best check and field event to watch other than like just running around? Like? Is there like is like javelin really exciting?
Speaker 1: Or My favorite event to watch is probably the eight hundred meters because that's what I ran very averagely in college, So I really like the middle distance events. Everyone loves the sprints though obviously, like the one hundred two hundred meter relays are fun because it feels like Team USA manages to drop the baton a lot, So hopefully we don't do a lot of that this time around.
Speaker 3: We'll see enjoy your time in Paris, and we will be back here in two weeks with more stuff. And that was the Money Stuff Podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Matt Levine and I'm Katie Greyfeld.
Speaker 3: You can find my work by subscribing to the Money Stuff news that are on Blimberg.
Speaker 1: Dot com, and you can find me on Bloomberg TV every day on Open Interest between nine to eleven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We'd love to hear from you. You can send an email to Moneypot at bloomberg dot net, ask us a question and we might answer it on the air.
Speaker 1: You can also subscribe to our show wherever you're listening right now and leave us a review. It helps more people find the show.
Speaker 3: The Money Stuff Podcast is produced by Anna Maserakis and Moses Ondam and special thanks this week to Cal Brooks.
Speaker 1: Our theme music was composed by Blake Maples.
Speaker 3: Brandon Francis Nudan is our executive.
Speaker 1: Producer, and Sage Bauman is Bloomberg's head of Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to The Money Stuff Podcast. We'll be back next week with Morse Tuff