Speaker 1: Lots to Say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: We Got lots, Just say we got lost?
Speaker 1: Just say what Becker here and we hope you say because we got lost, Just say, yeah, we got lots.
Speaker 3: Just say here's Bob that.
Speaker 4: Everybody walk home.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome Matt.
Speaker 2: Good to see you, buddy, Great to see you as always, got my Castle pregame hug. Oh you know that's what I'm there for. You know, now you just lift you up. Now, you just do it just to annoy you.
Speaker 4: I'm not annoyed by it.
Speaker 3: You're a little bit annoyed by You're not a touchy Philly person.
Speaker 1: I'm not. You're right, Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 2: And that's why now I've made it my my world to come in.
Speaker 3: And make sure that you know that I'm going to give you a hug every time.
Speaker 1: I was doing an interview over here for another one of my podcasts and the artist Coby Cala. She has a song starts and TOAs makes MAKR call my nose beautiful song. Yes, so she's over and I've known her a little bit for a while, never known her a lot a bit but own her a little bit. Like she's done some stuff with me at the Ryeman played a show together, she's been on my radio show. We've done stuff, but never as full friends. But she lives very close to me. And the reason that she came over was I saw her walking her dog and I was in my car and I was like, Kolbe. She was like hey, and I was like, you live right here. She was like yeah. I was like, well, I live right there, and I was like, come over and jump on the podcast. She's like, no problem. So she comes over and I'm normal with her because I have a bit of a relationship enough that it's not the first time I've met her.
Speaker 3: You've got a foundation.
Speaker 1: As limited of a foundation as it is, there's still a foundation. And we have probably seven times or we've been together, and I'm like, hey, good, come on, I come in. And at the end of the interview we were talking about because she's very introverted and I'm very introverted. When it's not time to be extroverted, Okay, extrovert time a plus.
Speaker 3: I've seen both sides of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, introvert, I feel like, ah, probably this room is not for me. Nobody wants me here. I'm just gonna kind of I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to leave myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, We've got at the commissioner's dinner by himself and just text them thirty minutes later when I'm.
Speaker 3: At home in bed. Yeah yeah, thanks for that.
Speaker 4: Colby says to me, you're not very warm.
Speaker 1: And I respected it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I respected it because that's what I want. I love when people say that. And I was like, what do you mean.
Speaker 1: She's like, well, I came over and you know, we're doing this thing, and usually it's like hey, and you were like, hey, come on over, grabs seat, and we'll just get started.
Speaker 4: And I was like, okay, this is excellent to know because I.
Speaker 1: Thought I was extremely warm because I already it's not that I didn't get up.
Speaker 3: We already know each other, right, but you didn't like I hear you. You's wrong.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying she's wrong. I'm not saying you're wrong, but go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm saying a natural greeting when somebody comes over your house to do your podcast, you'd probably get up out of that.
Speaker 5: I did get up.
Speaker 3: I'll give her a friendly handshake.
Speaker 1: Broad I just yeah, I did it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Seem like I did. She wasn't feeling the love.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't the same that I would do with somebody I've never met. It literally was because if I'd never met them, I'd want them to feel so comfortable, like thank you so much. Like we just finished taping with Randall Cobb, which everybody's gonna beare and I was like, so appreciate. It's like Randall think like I wanted him to know he didn't know me that, like, we're so grateful he took an hour out of his day to come and hang out with us. I didn't do that with her because I felt like it wasn't needed. And I don't like that about me that I just assume that there is some sort of friendship foundation or that the more normal I am, it means the more I like you.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the less you get up in show effort, you like them more.
Speaker 4: Kind of, And I know that's backwards. I know that's backward.
Speaker 2: So basically, when you mean Bobby, you better hope that first introduction is going to be amazing, y be, it will, but it's going downhill from there.
Speaker 1: If I like you, it's like with you, if I see you, it's up, boom, let's get started. Because I genuinely know you, like you, and enjoy being around you. Therefore, I don't need to present some hey, what's up. But and that's backward. I get it.
Speaker 3: That's what I do. So that's why the polar opposites attract. You're because I am.
Speaker 2: Every single time I see it, I'm like, I'm like a little puppy. Look, hey, Bobby, how are you?
Speaker 4: You are one of the friendly You're one of the initial friendliest people.
Speaker 3: I have ever met. Hey, I take pride in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is, and you should because you're so warm and you're so likable so quick.
Speaker 4: I think I'm more of an acquire taste.
Speaker 3: No, You're definitely that way.
Speaker 2: It's just sometimes I think, also, your scheduling is so insane that there the effort's got to at some point be like, okay, I'll.
Speaker 1: Agree with that a little bit. I think I've but it's not fair to people who don't have to.
Speaker 3: It's not But.
Speaker 2: You're how many people do you probably interview on a daily basis. You're on the radio, You've got to talk to different individuals and always be up and going. That sometimes it's fair to say, hey, how are you good to see it? Come on, let's let's get on.
Speaker 1: But it was I was only doing that because I felt like we were already friends. And what I alsoppreciate. It was like Brandon, who has been my friend for ten plus years and who runs video for this show.
Speaker 4: I was like, Brandon cold, It's like, well, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he was like, He's like, it's not cold, it's just you just feel like you don't have to go through that song and dance again.
Speaker 3: It's just you.
Speaker 1: I should song and dance a little more. That's what I'm saying. I should a little more. No, But it's it's respect, and I mean that with you. Your thing is you want everybody to feel loved. You want me to feel loved, and I definitely do, and me I want you to feel like we're so close. We don't got to do the song and dance.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm not talking to you until we start the show next week.
Speaker 1: Well then I'd be like, why's he mad?
Speaker 3: Why is he mad? Why? Well, I'm not mad at all. Oh no, I'm mad.
Speaker 2: I'm now so comfortable with you. I'm never gonna like give you a bro hug anymore.
Speaker 1: I went to a boxing class. Oh really, three four days ago?
Speaker 3: Have you done that before? Ever?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I owned a few boxing gyms in town.
Speaker 3: Of course, you do.
Speaker 2: You find out something new about your entrepreneurship. Gosh, what else do you own? I just owned five buildings and I own this thing over here. We're putting the new studio in boxing gym. Thanks for inviting me to the boxing gym. Could I get like a weekly pass?
Speaker 4: The hustle is real and I didn't flex that.
Speaker 3: You just say, I'm just saying, I'm just finding out more about it.
Speaker 1: I even went to one that I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Why you own three and you didn't go to the one that you own?
Speaker 1: Schedule, I needed to go to a class at a certain time and it was kind of last minute.
Speaker 3: Why don't you just call the person that you hired to run your gym say hey, this is.
Speaker 1: The time I got do that.
Speaker 2: I would that would make a lot more sense if you would own the boxing gym.
Speaker 1: I would never do that.
Speaker 3: But okay, so anyway, you went to a new one.
Speaker 1: I go, yeah, and it's probably like twenty five people, and it's probably twenty three females. Ages from anything from like nineteen to fifty seven. Right, and there's this like an aerobics it's not a jazz er size where you just I mean, this isn't my gym.
Speaker 4: I went to a I'm just asking they're bad.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to get a few.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, it's a class.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I don't feel like right now I'm being respected. I'm be honest with everybody in the rain right now.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just trying to feel for what you were doing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like a jazzer size. So I go and there's a giant man in there, so giant that if you see them, you know they do something.
Speaker 2: Okay, define giant six seven six seven offensive blind man for sure, like a two eighty thuds.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like if I saw you out, I would know you did something physical because your frame, your height, you're still in shape.
Speaker 2: I get volleyball and basketball. Did you play volleyball basketball? I was like, no, I didn't at all. You're six six four, Okay, I don't look like a volleyball Yeah, you definitely could.
Speaker 1: You're just so much taller than the rest of us and I'm six foot and you're still like you walk. Why my wife again, it was like, Matt's tall, and I'm like, shut up, that's right. That's another I was like, I was like, I'm tall, tall to remember me. Guy's like three hundred pounds. He's like six seven and he's wearing a hat and he got air pods in and I'm like, I think I recognize him. Really who is What reminded me is when you said the NFL. We saw him at the NFL party and we thought he is a giant man.
Speaker 3: I mean there were a lot of giants. Giant giant man. Well, you left early, so you probably could go gather your thoughts and sit there.
Speaker 2: And mingle with white guy, bald headed retired, oh whitworth what worse? Here in Tennessee.
Speaker 1: He was here because the Rams and Titans were playing and he was jumping in some random boxing class and I saw him there.
Speaker 5: Do you know him at all?
Speaker 2: No, I've actually met him at the Super Bowl this year one of the nights you were at home and went over.
Speaker 3: He shocked me with how big he was.
Speaker 2: And we've played against him before, but on the opposite side when they're amongst the Yeah, but he's one of the bigger offensive Lineman's yeah.
Speaker 1: Because again we get to see large people and you played with large people.
Speaker 3: He's a monster.
Speaker 1: He's a monster.
Speaker 2: He's a monster even in that profession. When you think about him. He when I saw him in person and shook his hand, I was like, Wow, he's got a presence about him. He becaus got that gruffy voice. I was like, man, okay, this guy's pretty badass.
Speaker 1: I went and said I to him, but he didn't know.
Speaker 3: I was Did he punch you?
Speaker 1: Thank God?
Speaker 4: No, because it was jacks side just like one in two and one and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what Because when you said boxing class, I thought you're gonna it was a boxing class?
Speaker 3: Where is it?
Speaker 2: But you hit the you hit the pads where the guys sing, and then swings over your head and you duck.
Speaker 1: I did that acting like Rocking Balboa Rocky. Sorry, you can't make fun of me going jazz. They call it rocking Balboa.
Speaker 2: Well it's kind of they that was the name of the class, Rocking Balboa, not Rocky because you're not hitting anything.
Speaker 1: He's a giant. He's a giant. And if I were what I was thinking was if I were a guy like Bryce Young, Tuah, we can walk through the show.
Speaker 3: Some of these I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know how you see anything over a guy like that.
Speaker 2: That's always the part for me with some of these guys with their height, because I remember being back there at six four and that was kind of six five six four, where those guys in the interior outside you get to the six six frame, but you're trying to find windows to seat, and a lot of times you just get when when the pockets you can't get your throwing lane down, so you're trying to sidestep and move to try to make sure you've got an angle and not throwing it to the opposite team. It would be really difficult in some of those circumstances.
Speaker 1: If you're five to ten and you're trying to find an outside guy and there's a six to seven tackle.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like that's for sure in your.
Speaker 3: Way, without a doubt, without a doubt.
Speaker 2: And with Bryce in particular, did you see the shot when he first started with the Carolina Panthers, they took a shot with him next to the lineman and he looked like.
Speaker 3: A popworn player and I was like.
Speaker 2: Wow, I didn't realize house White is but Obviously they've developed a skill set over time, because when you're at Alabama, you're playing with all those players and the offensive line is probably equal to the size of the NFL guys.
Speaker 3: That it's a skill set and they've just developed it over time.
Speaker 1: I was super thankful and mus be the last on this and then we'll go back and forth with our three each. But I didn't want because I've met Andrew Whitworth at an award show once on Amazon like ACMs, and I didn't want him to be like, oh I saw you once and you were a jerk. Going back to my sometimes people think I'm not very warm. So I really pushed myself to go and say hi because I wouldn't have because also.
Speaker 3: The your neighbor here had a major impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, oh, because I do feel like in my heart, it's almost like don't judge someone. There's a saying that's like you can't judge other people on their actions, but you on your intentions because you know what your intentions are, okay, because you can give yourself the credit. Well, I wanted to do this, but I didn't and other people and so I my heart was like, I'm a nice guy and if he needs anything, I'd but I was like, I need to go and have an action, so I said, hey, man, Bobones. He had no idea, right, no clue, and he was nice. He tried for a second to act like you knew who I was, and he was like oh, and I was. I was like, I don't need this. I was like, hey, I just want to say hi, have a good workout. And the greatest thing an angel from above. And a woman comes up to me, woman young, like twenty five, And as he was standing next to me, airpot's still out, she goes, hey, are you buy bones?
Speaker 4: I've read both of your books.
Speaker 1: And he looked and he was like, oh, oh, this is not just somebody that's annoying me.
Speaker 3: You're like, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: An angel from a book.
Speaker 1: And you may not know who I am, but one person does. And she's in this little dancer size class too. Oh, don't worry about you want me signed both of your books? Don't worry about Yeah, no problem. Oh and have you read it?
Speaker 3: No? Okay, don't worry. You'll know who he picks up your book for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big guy, big guy, let's go back and forth.
Speaker 3: I will let you go first.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you know what, I was just looking at this past week and it's amazing how many starting quarterbacks went down with injuries. Obviously we know Joe Burrow brock Perty was out. There's questions whether or not Jane Daniels is going to be able to play. But I always think about that because for such a long time in my career I was in that position as always the backup, and just the importance of having somebody that can come in and play, especially in the game that the NFL game that we play today, and.
Speaker 3: How volatile that that position is.
Speaker 2: That they put all their eggs in one basket saying, hey, we're gonna go win with this guy. But how often do you see starting quarterbacks go down and now these backups are thrust into the spotlight and they've got to go out and perform and really will make or break your season. A lot of these guys aren't gonna be long term, but even JJ McCarthy guy goes out for another what two to three weeks with a sprained ankle. And now you've got Carson Wentz who they just signed before season. We talked about this a few weeks ago. We're like, why did they do that. Now he's it's gonna be week three of the season and you're starting, and you got to expect to go win games for this team. And so it's just it's always fascinating when you go throughout the course of the season and see how many starting quarterbacks go down and how important it is to have valuable backups behind those guys, which I think is overlooked at time.
Speaker 1: And Minnesota plays Cincinnati in the backup quarterback ball.
Speaker 3: The week, it's gonna be great. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: I think I was thinking about which quarterback would rather have Wentz or Brownie because Browning played well he did last year. Yeah, he had a stint.
Speaker 3: He had a stint where he went in played well. He played well.
Speaker 2: Also, wasn't it the year before when when Joe Burrow went out with the wrist, where he stepped in in that role as well?
Speaker 1: I know last year he played a bunch.
Speaker 6: The year before it was like seven games.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was. It wasn't last year.
Speaker 2: It was a year before because last year Joe stayed healthy and he was potential MVP and all that stuff. The year before it was when he had the wrist and he went out and he came in and held down the fort. But I mean, I think that he's a guy that knows the system, been in the system for a long period of time. I mean, Jamar Chase had what one hundred and sixty three yards receiving or something like that, So he knows how to get the ball to the playmakers. And so I'm going with him because I just don't know what Carson's going.
Speaker 3: To look like.
Speaker 1: Did you play with Carson Wentz at all? I never did because he was a.
Speaker 4: Chief for a minute.
Speaker 1: But I get you in my home. Mixed up, that's the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Same type of skill set, maybe same type of skill set.
Speaker 1: It's sorry about that, you guys. Mixed up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of injury, A lot of quarterback injuries through two weeks. Yeah, Jane Daniels is an interesting one.
Speaker 3: Jane Daniels is injury. Well, they've got Marcus there too.
Speaker 2: Marcus Mariota played a little bit last year when he got banged up with I think it was a back issue or something. Maybe it was a rib. But they'll be in good hands with Marcus. Marcus knows that system and he's a perfect fit. A lot of times when you look at these backup quarterbacks and you have a guy like Jane Daniels, you can't replicate that in your backup. But Marcus Mariota is the perfect fit because he's got the same type of skill set the RPO game. He knows that and played in that type of offense before, where they don't have to manipulate or change the game plan so dramatically to fit the type of player that you now have to put in that position. And I think that's where sometimes it's hard. When a quarterback, particularly these dual threat running quarterbacks, go in and then they've got a pure pocket passer, Your game game plan and what you do offensively is going to look completely different from that week to the next week, and your team's.
Speaker 3: Got to adapt to that.
Speaker 4: Did you back up Marioda here?
Speaker 3: I did so.
Speaker 1: I saw a clip of after the Ravens had played Mariota this year and Derek Henry Meriota. Derek Henery was like, where's my guy? Yeah, Like, Derek Henry seems like a good dude.
Speaker 3: He's a great dude.
Speaker 1: I don't know him.
Speaker 2: When I when I first met him, I was like, I don't know if I'm ever going to break through this kid. He was pissed off because we had what's his name? Look him up.
Speaker 3: We don't even know what position was running back, running back.
Speaker 6: Chris Chris Johnson, Johnson that before that was Lindell White.
Speaker 3: No Marko Murray.
Speaker 1: Ohkay waita got there. So Chris Johnson and Lindell were saying that was yeah, yeah, that was a little too far back.
Speaker 2: So when he came in, we had the Marko Murray here, so he was really not getting the reps early on DeMarco Murray I think went to the Pro Bowl maybe that the year rush for over one thousand yards, So he was more of a guy that was coming in and spilling DeMarco Murray than being the featured back.
Speaker 3: But you could always see it. So there he was a little bit more stand.
Speaker 2: Offish, not as probably a guy he's trying to prove himself and knew that he just wanted to be on the field. But as soon as you saw that second year come around and he became that guy, you could see his personality and everything change because he's such a competitor and he's a great dude, and everybody from Ben Jones to what we've had on and everybody else.
Speaker 3: I mean, they love the guy, absolutely love him.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do for mine what I like, what I don't like now, what I like through two games and even through last year. I do like to kickoff roll looks really weird, but it's nice for that play to matter and count because for the what ten years before that, again, it didn't right, kick it out of the end zone twenty twenty five, go to commercial, come back all right, here we go like it was really like a wasted four minutes because they would come back to TV for that one play and go back to come yes, yes, right. So that is what I like. Now I've shifted on this other thing. What I don't like because I fought for it during the offseason, and trust me, my fighting meant a lot to the NFL.
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of pull when it comes to the NFL making rolls. I don't like the toush push anymore. I'm now against it.
Speaker 2: I think everybody hates it just because it's utilized with such a high success rate.
Speaker 4: That's not why not for me, or.
Speaker 2: Because they don't call when four on the five offensive linemen are off sides and they just go and even your sinner's line, his head is over the ball lined up off sides, where I'm like, there's got to be some regulation. They can't regulate it. That's why, right, because you're so crowded in there.
Speaker 1: I think everybody they were all being haters in the meetings when they're voting on it, and I thought they should have kept it because because I invent a rule that is within the rule book and it's advantageous to me, that doesn't mean you can kick the rule out. However, now they can't regulate the play. There was like maybe a fumble and they're talking on the broadcast. They're like, well you can't really see what's happening in the pile, so no fumble.
Speaker 4: So the fact that you the refs can't even see it.
Speaker 1: And yes, we saw the Kancity players lining up in the neutral zone occasionally, we saw the two guards jumping on two different plays. Yeah, we saw possibly a fumble. And it's really boring. Now I don't think because it's boring it should be eliminating.
Speaker 3: I think you're thinking because it's boring.
Speaker 4: No, No, yes, it sucks.
Speaker 1: I've always thought it sucked as far as watching, and I thought that would be the killer of it, and I stood behind it to go. The tush push deserves to exist because they found a rule that they can manipulate and they shouldn't be punished for that. But now it just sucks and they can't call anything. So I hate it. Now I'm out. Consider me out of the toush push game.
Speaker 2: I think everybody is coming to that conclusion, and that rule will be changed next offseason because they're just tired of it, and great job by Philly. They're gonna be able to Yeah, they're gonna use it all year long, so just be prepared. But was it just this one game, because I don't think there was as much noise around the play until you saw how outrageous it was when those guys were jumping off and the situation being down at the goal line.
Speaker 1: It also seems, and this could very much not be true, it also seems like that play has gotten even more violent than it was at the beginning, because now the defense is having to meet it with extra violence to try to stop it. So the offense has got to amplify their violence just to try to stop them from stopping it. So now it looks like freaking two thunderbolts just crashing down on you, just.
Speaker 2: Like medieval times when you're on the front line and they're running, like when you see Brave Heart and it goes Yep.
Speaker 1: It was a quarterback crazy. It was interesting because Jalen Hurts had a lot of leg power. Now it's like, uh, bodies and necks bent at an odd angle, just diving for the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what it is. You know what else is crazy about the Eagles for me is aj Brown. I think he has five receptions on the entire year, and he's on our fantasy team.
Speaker 1: This guy in the second round.
Speaker 2: This guy might be the most skilled wide receiver in the league, or he's one of the top wide receivers. But as a player, as an individual, if you are Aj Brown, you're probably sitting there going, I mean, I love being part of a winning organization and I'm team first and I want to do it all.
Speaker 3: But you didn't bring me here to block all day.
Speaker 2: You brought me here to be a playmaker, and you've got to throw me a bone at some point, because that's what wide receivers especially elite wide receivers. They want to do They want to get the ball, they want to catch it, they want to have an impact on the game.
Speaker 1: But you said, which is the headline. He's on your fantasy team.
Speaker 3: That's true, and you know who you know, our starting quarterback is first week seven points. I was like, you're playing the Browns for God's sake, and then now he's out for the year. So yeah, it's that's the problem with fantasy football. And I never played fantasy football for that reason, because you're sitting there judge people on points and not rooting for the actual team.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna ask a question, but I really want to go to you for the answer. On my second one here is that we were talking about like a Browning, and more so Browning than like a Carson Wentz, because Wentz has had his time starting, right, But you got a guy like that who now, even his first.
Speaker 4: Run two years ago, he's the backup.
Speaker 1: And it's not that you're going in mid game because your quarterback has a hurt pinky or maybe a concussion where he could come back in. But next week we'll probably be back or maybe you're in for a spell. Browning is the guy unless they sign somebody, which I don't know if they will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they went out and signed two other players as well, But what is he is the guy?
Speaker 1: What is it like to now? Like, what is the shift like in the locker room when you walk Because this happened to you when Brady goes down, it wasn't he's going to be out for two weeks? Right, You're now the guy?
Speaker 4: How does that change the dynamic in the locker room?
Speaker 2: Well, I think first and foremost, as a quarterback, you got to wrap your head around that when you go into those type of situations when Joe Burrow goes down, you're just going into the game immediately because it's out of necessity. You're reacting, You're not as emotional because you have to go out right now and play. And then all of a sudden it sets in that you're the dude, and it not only sets in for you, it sets in for the entire team that offense, Jamar Chase T. Higgins and they're looking at you like okay, they're asking themselves the question, how are we going to be with him at calling the plays and run this offense? And they've had some experience with him. For me, it was, man, I've got to go prove myself. There was a lot of mental scrutiny I put myself through of, man, am I ready for this moment? Can I go out and execute like I know this offense? But at the same time, I've got to prove to myself. And then it's about going out there and doing it to where you can earn the respect of those guys because they're looking at you saying, you've got to prove it to me. And it's in the huddle, it's the command, it's being able to execute on third down, situational football, the things that put us in a situation where we can win. Especially with a guy like Jamar Chase who demands the ball, he also understands, look, I want the ball because I'm a stat guy, Like give me the ball. Can you do that consistently and be able to help us win? So it's hard to overlook it and say just concentrate on the task at hand you but you have to kind of suppress those inner thoughts that you have where your second guess in yourself and go out there and just play the game and if you're good enough, it'll show up on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Is there an like an added pressure that you don't expect, because of course there's pressure now that you're the starter, But is our pressure, Well, if I don't perform quickly, I won't even be the starter.
Speaker 3: Now they'll pull somebody else in you one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I felt that throughout this early part of the season, and even as even as we had a little success, you always know wasn't good enough, because at the end of the day, if you don't get the job done, then they're gonna bring somebody else in, maybe a veteran guy, give him an opportunity, and you know that this is your opportunity to extend your career, to go somewhere else, to maybe even be a guy like Sam Darnold did last year, where you get an opportunity, you go out and play well you can now you can transfer that into a big time contract or something.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of pressure that comes.
Speaker 2: Along with that as well of knowing that if you don't take advantage of this opportunity, this might be your last opportunity and you might not even be in the league. If you go out there and shit the bed for two weeks in a row and they bring somebody else in. Now you're labeled a certain type of player. But if you can go in, hold down the fort and play well and show that's really what I was able to do when I went in with New England because I was in my fourth year of a rookie contract, that there was no talks or anything.
Speaker 3: Let's bring Castle back. He hadn't even played.
Speaker 2: So if I don't go out there and perform really well, or even if I perform a halfway decent for three weeks and they put in somebody else, now I'm still viewed as just a guy with no experience, can't play, can't get it done. But the fact that I went out and played the entire season and we were able to win ball games, and I played at a high level.
Speaker 3: That's why I played fourteen years in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Did you worry every week they'd bring someone else in, that they would find someone else that wanted to come in. It was a veteran.
Speaker 3: Well, It's funny because you can't avoid the paper.
Speaker 2: And the noise in the news and all that stuff as much as you try to. And you know that for the first week or so after Brady went down, they'd bring guys in throughout the course of the week to try them out. So you're like, oh, goad, see what's that mean? Is that writing on the wall? Do I have a short leash? Are they going to let me? Are they going to let me grow up and learn a little bit, make a few mistakes because this is my first time starting and build my confidence or is it one of those where hey, one bad game and that's the end of that and they're going to give it to a guy that has a little bit more experience.
Speaker 4: What do you think would have happened if Brady never got hurt?
Speaker 3: I probably wouldn't be sitting here with you.
Speaker 1: What do you think you'd be doing? Honestly?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I did a bunch of internships. So I did an internship in finance, I did an internship in real estate. So I felt like I was pretty well rounded in a lot of different arenas of business. And so I was a business minor at communication major, and I had a lot of good connections through USC that was still very prevalent when I was in my first few years. So I'd probably be doing one of those industries. To be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Had Brady not got hurt. I wouldn't be getting those beautiful bean hugs every Yeah, I've.
Speaker 3: Got a great house for sale right down here. Why don't you come on over. It's all marble on the inside.
Speaker 1: All right, one more, what do you have my outside the box thinking?
Speaker 3: Right here?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that outside the box. Is Malik Neighbors the best wide receiver in the NFL?
Speaker 1: I think most people would look at you like you're crazy until they actually look at different.
Speaker 3: Watch the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the answer is probably not. But Mann does he make a case?
Speaker 3: Man, he's he's in his second year.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have the body of work. That's the only reason he can do.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have the body of work you watch, that's true.
Speaker 2: But if you watch pure route running ability, being able to attack the ball, anybody that guards him one on one, he's creating separation. When I say creating separation in the NFL, we say one step separation. He is open, wide open, just breaking people off all the time. And I thought that when he came out of LSU, I was like, this guy is the number one wide receiver in the draft, and now he's proving it. It's wild. I think he's the sky is the limit for this guy. Yeah, imagine if he had a quarterback that was consistent. I mean Russ dropped some in so he.
Speaker 3: Did played out of his mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, for a lot of the game. Not all the game, but a lot all the game. He threw for four hundred and thirty.
Speaker 1: Well, they scored eighty points in the fourth quarter. It was like they were just chunking bombs. Yeah, Neighbors is awesome. But when you say ls shoot, think of the three let's say the two best wide receivers Justin Jefferson they were on the same team and Elik Nighbors all the LSU guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got a factory gun. Yeah that's pretty that's wide receiver.
Speaker 3: You right there.
Speaker 1: I'll go with my final point. Man, I have a lot of points me too. You do have a lot over there. Would you pull up kans City schedule? Yep, Okay, So I'll do this. RACHEI Rice comes back Week seven. The Chiefs need it really bad. They need Worthy Worthy. They really need Rice because Rice is multi dimensional. Not that Worthy is not. But he was a straight line guy for much of last season and then had to develop and he did a pretty good job.
Speaker 4: But they still need a straight line guy because they don't even have that now.
Speaker 3: They needed a route runner.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's until week seven until Rachi Rice comes back. And without the weapons. You know, you can have all the bullets in the world, but if you don't have the gun, none's gonna happen with the bullet. And I think that's what we're seeing now. You got Patrick Mahomes, but unless Patrick Mahomes got somebody to throw to, he's not nothing works.
Speaker 3: Well, there's no threat, but there's no deep threat right now.
Speaker 2: That's completely true, and they're not able to run the ball consistently. Their running game is Patrick Mahomes running the football, and that's not what you want. That's not the formula that they want for winning. But at the same time, you look at even at that Philly game, and if Travis Kelsey catches that ball, it's a different game.
Speaker 3: They're gonna win the game.
Speaker 2: What's gonna keep them in ball games consistently now, which you wouldn't say three four years ago. Their defense, Their defense is legit. They've got a good defense that will keep them in ball games. So it's gonna be possession games. It's not gonna be blowouts like we saw early on in their career, and they will probably have some of those, just because I believe in Andy Reid is a play caller. But it definitely handcuffs that offense because of the lack of weapon that they have.
Speaker 1: I think without a straight line guy who can extend the defense, it hurts the running game, of course it does.
Speaker 4: So when worth these out, those guys can play a little.
Speaker 2: Closer, well, they can trust that they can play mann a man on the outside, put an extra defender in the box to play the run game, which that naturally would tell Patrick Mahomes man, Oh great, I got one on ones on the outside. But when you have a guy like that and they've got to think about a deep threat that softens coverage, they can't always put an extra guy or a defender in the box. And then that's when you get favorable numbers to be able to run the ball consistently, and that's not they just don't have that guy right now.
Speaker 5: Kevin, can you walk me through Week three, four.
Speaker 1: Five, and six.
Speaker 6: Week three Sunday Night at the Giants.
Speaker 1: I think they can win that game.
Speaker 3: I think they could win that.
Speaker 4: They need to win that game if they lose that game.
Speaker 1: I think it's this sucks. Yeah, yeah, that will really suck.
Speaker 3: I still think they make the playoffs. I do too. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Next, yeah, because then they play the Ravens.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're gonna win that.
Speaker 1: So let's say they're one. Let's say they're one and three. Let's go worst case scenario, one and three go ahead.
Speaker 6: Then the Lions, Oh no, sorry, Jaguars Verus at Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Two and three, Okay, then the Lions.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think two and four is a worst case scenario. Then to get weapons, I think they're still in the mix.
Speaker 2: For sure, they're in the mix. I mean, Chargers have another divisional game this week.
Speaker 1: Broncos lost. Broncos lost, I mean, so they should have never lost that game. They should have lost the game. But yes, I agree. I think the Chiefs if they can two and four three, can you imagine if it's crazy if they're three and three.
Speaker 4: Though, if they're three and three and they get their weapons.
Speaker 1: I think the Chiefs can still win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: The final game without him is the Raiders.
Speaker 1: What week is that bust the Raiders six?
Speaker 4: Okay, I think they can win that Raiders game.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're gonna when they're three and three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you watch their first two games against really good ball ball teams, they're still in the mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What sucked is that first game they actually had. What are they playing though? For the most part?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. But Justin Herbert looks, dude, how good does he look?
Speaker 4: There are two games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chunkin' and Keenan Allen came back with a vengeance. Did he's a playmaker psycho Marion Hampton. But that defense is tough too, man, they're really good.
Speaker 1: Let's quickly walk through the schedule this week. Dolphins and Bills.
Speaker 2: That's an easy billerund I think the Dolphins are headed in the right direction.
Speaker 1: On opposite day my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, what a dumpster fire.
Speaker 1: That's that's probably deadman walking coach.
Speaker 3: Huh feels like it.
Speaker 2: I mean even watching his press conference and we know that he handles things differently in the media and stuff like that, and he's just a.
Speaker 3: Interesting personality together.
Speaker 2: But when things aren't going right and you don't have good answers, the quirky, funny guy doesn't really come across well.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Patriots at Steelers, Patriots Steelers, I believe it is going to be a really good football game. Drake May played out of his mind last week, which is a great sign to see for them, But they also had to have that kickoff. They gave him a kick off, then a kickoff, and then a kickoff return to take the lead. It was crazy. So it's good for them to get a win. But then you looked at Pittsburgh last week and go, what is going on with their defense?
Speaker 4: What I like about the Patriots is that I expect them to get.
Speaker 3: Better every week. That's true.
Speaker 1: I don't expect that with every team, but I think they now have the coaching staff that is there to develop the team and develop the culture, and I think you're going to see the Patriots actually get better, not the opposite or not go bad good good bad again. It's you know, a Also, there'll be some spotty weeks, oh for sure, But I do expect the Patriots to slowly grow each week as a team.
Speaker 2: And then sometimes just getting that first win out of the way and having a win like they did against a division opponent that gives Breed's confidence throughout that entire locker room.
Speaker 3: So you come in hungaryer the next week.
Speaker 2: Because you've got a taste of what it tastes like to go out there and get a victory. I think that really helps that team moving forward. Packers and Browns. I mean, the Packers look unstoppable. Yeah, I can't tell you that I would pick anybody other than the Packers right now in that one.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you I picked the Browns against anybody.
Speaker 3: They they're on the struggle by offensively.
Speaker 1: I feel so bad for Browns fans because I know what it's like to lose.
Speaker 3: But how good is Miles Garrett? Did? I love watching that guy play? He is an absolute savage.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's awesome. He's awesome the game two weeks ago the Browns played the Bank Bengals and he was the only He was on Joe Burrow every freaking play.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you it was unreal the disruption that that man and can cause on a front. And I guarantee every one of those offensive linemen are sitting there going, oh my god, we've got to deal with this man.
Speaker 1: Child coltson Titans. I think there is now my new favorite nickname in the NFL, and that is Indiana Jones. Indiana Jones, Daniel Jones that's my new favorite nickname. Listen. I've always been a Daniel Jones guy, even on this podcast. I think Daniel Jones has weapons on his own body that you and I've said it before because people because he's why people don't give him any credit for being fast. I like Daniel Jones. I think he's had a really good couple of weeks. I don't think he's that consistently through the year, but I think he's better than people thought.
Speaker 4: And I think the Colts can give that division a run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the division is there for the taking.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, I mean, I don't think that there's one team right now that you look at whether I would have said Houston to start the year, if you're really thinking about a team that probably has the pieces to win that division. But the Colts are obviously going to be competitive. They're very competent at the quarterback position. Now, you don't know what you're going to get right now with Tennessee because there's just that development factor for Cam Word in that team. And then Jacksonville, I don't know, they have the talent to be really good and really competitive, but they just haven't put it together yet.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean with the Titan Why Jacksonville were about Jacksonville?
Speaker 3: They're in that division.
Speaker 1: Oh, in the division? Yeah, I thought you went off a different game already.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: I'm just talking about Jacksonville looks odd right now.
Speaker 3: Colts have an opportunity to win that division.
Speaker 1: I agree, Jacksonville looks odd on the field, meaning they got a weird coach, Liam Cohen. I don't know Lam Cohen. Do you know him?
Speaker 3: No? I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's like what Miami has, and they if they don't win, his quirkiness is going to be why people don't like him. And if they do, his quirkiness is going to be why people love him love him because it's different. But yeah, that division is right for the taking. Let's do three other games that I have here. Okay, I want to go to the Cowboys and the Bears. First of all, who do you think is favorite?
Speaker 3: Cowboys? No, the Bears are favorite.
Speaker 1: Isn't that?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: How Bears minus one and a half.
Speaker 2: They just give up forty something to and well they did play the Lions, but then and they suck. Yeah, and Dallas's offense is high octane. They're going to go out and score points. I guess it's probably a reflection of Dallas's defense right now.
Speaker 3: They've been banged up in the secondary.
Speaker 2: They just played the Giants, which nobody thought that the Giants were going to go up there and put up five hundred yards of offense and score forty points. So maybe they're thinking this is the week that Caleb Williams has his coming out party.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 1: But man, the Cowboys, I mean, I feel like the Cowboys are a better team than the Bears.
Speaker 2: The Bears look like a disaster. Well, can they go blow for blow with them offensively? I'd say no. And that's the thing for the Cowboys this year is how long can it last where the offense has to outscore the opponent, where the defense at some point has to step up and hold an opponent to not forty points.
Speaker 3: I promise you.
Speaker 4: That it feels like the Bengals last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Cowboys does a bit like they're going to have to score forty points to be in the game.
Speaker 4: And they can, but it's hard to do that consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Clowney coming in this week, them signing them, they knew that they.
Speaker 3: Need a little help.
Speaker 2: Hopefully he can give hit them another pass rusher on the outside that has a presence because they need it.
Speaker 1: Two other games, we'll do Jets at Bucks. And I only want to say this game because Baker Mayfield is that dude.
Speaker 2: He's that dude to fourth quarter two minute drill come like I mean last week, and I just love the way he plays the passion, how he puts his body online. He got banged up all day, but in the biggest moments, the guy steps up, he makes throws, he does it with his legs, and he's just a competitor.
Speaker 3: I love watching him play.
Speaker 1: Final game, we'll talk about Monday night Lions at Ravens. You expect the Ravens to win, but it was nice to see the Lions. Well, I mean they look like the Lions. Yeah, and they went a little extra hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah they did.
Speaker 2: For sure, we gotta come back from last week against Screen Bay.
Speaker 3: But they had a great game plan.
Speaker 2: They did give up some points, but at the end of the day, it was good to see them because I think this is going to be one of those knockdown, drag out brawls. They're both super physical teams, they've got skill on the outside.
Speaker 3: It'll it'll be a good showing.
Speaker 1: I also think Dan Campbell wanted to let Ben Johnson know, Hey, look, you might be the guy there now, and you know a lot of people may be giving you credit for what we did last year. But right now, in this moment in time, we're going to score sixty it's a show meeting, Yes, sixty points. So we're gonna do something interesting this week. So that's the that's the end of this one. So that's my castle. We'll do the whole thing in Bobby Ballin's that's kick off Kevin, that's Brandon Ray. We have another episode two that's gonna come out probably very soon right after this. They both they may both already be up.
Speaker 3: Now are you guys? You're friends with him? Who? I guessed Randall?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, okay, yeah, I'd say we're friends. I mean we're getting to know each other. We've been at a bunch of different dinners and stuff together.
Speaker 4: Because there's not a secret guest coming in.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was like, who are you talking?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not someone come up from behind the curtain.
Speaker 2: Well, well you're like yeah, and then we're gonna have another one. I was like, we do we do another?
Speaker 3: Pub We did?
Speaker 1: We did we did like forty five minutes to raandle Cobb.
Speaker 3: I know, but I didn't know that. I thought you were talking about something else. I was like, did we record something? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Norand that's great to play. This is your life from like your eighth grade coach. Bring him on out.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've known Randall obviously we played against each other, but I didn't get to know him until he got here to Nashville, and so we're building that friendship. We have been able to meet his wife, his kids and all that stuff, and he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: All right, check out the episode it's with Randall Kyle. All right, thank you for this episode.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: We've had lots to say, goodbye, everybody, lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle. Is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.