Speaker 1: Smell us now, lady, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia.
Speaker 2: The Meta podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on Thursday, October twenty fourth, and we're live from Meat Eater HQ in Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Randall Williams, joined today by Brody Henderson and Seth Morris. We've got yet another great show for you today. We've got a rut report from the one and only Mark Kenyon. We've got one minute fishing, We're gonna do a little show and tell, and we've got another hot tip off. But before we get to all that, we're gonna talk to a man who built a doggy door for a bear. You like that, phil Is? She is just a great sent Brodie, Seth, how are you guys doing today? Fantastic getting a little excited for rifle opener here in.
Speaker 4: My t it's almost here, Saturday, very close, very close. I can't wait.
Speaker 3: And Brody, you just got out this pass.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not even going out this weekend. We just got off the youth hunt and uh, four families, four groups.
Speaker 3: Of kids, six kids total, killed six bucks.
Speaker 4: In a day and a half.
Speaker 3: It's pretty impressive. That's cold killers out and that satiated your deer hunting bug for a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not gonna hunt deer until till the ruck kicks in around here in mid November.
Speaker 3: Nice. Yeah, that's a good feeling to have that freezer partially filled. Oh yeah, well you got a moose. Oh yeah, that's like wave never mind. Yeah, your freezer is probably got a second one going.
Speaker 5: All right, Yeah, I'm not in any rush.
Speaker 3: Well, a quick reminder for our listeners. We are going to be doing a Q and a halfway through and then again at the end of the show. So if you got a question or a comment, or you want us to address whatever is on your mind, please feel free to drop that in the chat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and on that note, we actually just got a really pertinent question from Bart. He's asking if does Brody know that he lost Trivia after the.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a great question, Bart Brody. A few weeks ago when Jannis hosted Trivia, there was a question about what's the what's the name of the what's the word? The term a certain type of hibernation that animals go through, and he was.
Speaker 7: Asking you, how was the reptile one.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but it's also actually applies to amphibians, and so my answer of salamander was in fact correct, And so you and I should not have gone to the tiebreaker that you then won. So in fact I won that game.
Speaker 7: Right, you know, you got to win one once in a while, Bud.
Speaker 3: Wow, they delayed gratification is still gratification? All right, Well, we we are going to to turn now to our first guest, Kurt Siewe, who's coming to us live from North Vancouver, British Columbia. Kurt, welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Good morning guys, Thank you.
Speaker 3: How are you doing?
Speaker 8: Very good?
Speaker 3: Excellent? So, Kurt, you know a lot of us have had issues as homeowners with wildlife and all sorts of other creatures, but you have a particularly interesting example that you're going to share with us today. Can you tell us a little bit about the issue you had and how you solved it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Okay, So the issue was we moved here ten years ago and the fence on either side was pretty old and it had these big holes on it. We weren't really sure why, so I patched them up. Within weeks we realized we're on a bear root and he just kept punching through the fence leading the holes. So he'd go through and break it, I'd fix it, so I just eventually stopped and left it open.
Speaker 5: Was this a black bear or grizzly bear?
Speaker 10: Yeah, black bear.
Speaker 9: There's probably three or four that hang around the area, but there's this one big one that the last two years, he comes by consistently, probably two or three times a week from June to September.
Speaker 3: And this is just his route. He's claimed it.
Speaker 9: Well, we're on his route, and it wasn't a big deal. Like I had my night cameras where we'd watch it, we'd see him during the day sometimes. It wasn't a big deal until month ago we put in a new fence all the way down on the south side and eight foot seater. I think he can see the picture right now and if he either climb it or he'd go around right just. I didn't think he'd break it. But within two days, my wife and I were sitting watching Netflix, maybe seven pm, and we look over and I just see the sheet the pine boards just being punched out.
Speaker 10: I go run and out and he's out there just punching.
Speaker 8: The boards out. He didn't wreck anything.
Speaker 10: Which was fantastic, but you could see the picture.
Speaker 9: He knocked the whole panel out and then just went on his way, and I chased him up the driveway. He couldn't care less, And so we're on a route. He goes from the river, which he back onto up to the street and he goes through our yard.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, Kurt, is this bear messing with anything other than your fence or he's just just messing the fence up as he comes by.
Speaker 8: He just the fence.
Speaker 9: He wants food. Like I've got a dog, he doesn't bother. He's got kids, he doesn't bother I used to have chickens, he doesn't bother them.
Speaker 8: He's lazy, he's fat. He just wants food.
Speaker 9: And he wants bug him and he just goes on his way.
Speaker 3: So tell us about how you solved this issue.
Speaker 9: So I'm outside and I see the broken paddle, and I'm like, I'm not gonna just leave it open. I've got a new fence now, paid good money, So i just rapped a three foot by three foot opening for a couple of days. So yeah, there you see it now. And then I'm like, hey, but raccoon's every coyote is everything else my dog Faggor's kids can get through. I'm like, I don't want to just leave it open. So my wife's like, let's just let's put a doggy door or a cat door, but we'll make at a bear door. And I'm by no meat the carpenter handyman. So I'm like, well, okay, cool Saturday project. I go to Rona whatever from Depault, buy some hinges. Round one doesn't work at all, so that I just take a day off. A little frustrated that I grab some copper pipe, put it in and on the top, and then it starts to swing. And my buddy.
Speaker 10: Of mine, as a joke I was doing, he sends me the bear sign.
Speaker 8: So Amazon package shows up. I crack it open.
Speaker 10: It's this bear sign. I'm like, oh, what the hell?
Speaker 9: And it's it was him as a joke, because this whole thing is a joke. We're not thinking this is going to work.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I put the.
Speaker 9: Bear sign on the door and I set my rol security camera up right above it on my house because this this is about ten feet from my front door, and well, those steeper works.
Speaker 10: It's a long shot.
Speaker 9: But we didn't expect anything to happen, and sure enough, like maybe ten days later, we catch the video of him going through and it's the coolest thing.
Speaker 3: Ever, and oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 9: So that's on my neighbor's side. Yeah, I put a camera on my neighbor's side too. So there's another video I don't I think I sent it is where he actually walks up and he taps on the on the bear sign to kind of test.
Speaker 8: It, and it's hilarious. So I get the video.
Speaker 9: It's like six in the morning when I get up, get the video and send it to my neighbor, who sends it to the Bear Society.
Speaker 10: Local Bear Society.
Speaker 9: Canadians are really nice, so we want to just make sure everybody's happy. And they posted on Instagram and it just explodes and I'm not on Instagram or TikTok. It explodes in the neighborhood, and then Global News calls me, they put me on TV to an interview, and then CBC News calls me. They posted on TikTok and Instagram. Within like four days, it's got over five million views. And then now I'm I'm asked being asked to talk about it on a regular.
Speaker 10: Basis and my kids and that are having a blast because.
Speaker 9: This is just a joke, and it's just it's gone viral. Their dad, who's almost fifty, has gone viral, and so we're all just Last Thursday, when we're at about nine hundred thousand views, my sister texts me, She's like, Kurt, you're at like nine hundred and fifty thousand views on this bear video of yours. So I start watching it and just refreshed, refreshed. My girls come home to school, it's getting closer to a million, closer to a million, and then across is a million views, and we start jumping around, hugging, celebrating, and then we're kind of like, now, what is Jimmy callon?
Speaker 10: Gonna call?
Speaker 8: Differently? Do we call someone? What should we do?
Speaker 9: And you know, we just have a total blast with it, and you know, my fifteen minutes of fame is almost over, and but we're we're riding this out.
Speaker 8: It's been really fun.
Speaker 3: That's great. So are any other have you seen any other bears or any other wildlife interested in using the door or is it just a big guy?
Speaker 9: So just the bear, A couple of dogs he tried it won't go through because even if they can't push it, they're going to get pinched. Probably some of the most fun is when I went on to TikTok hearing how the Americans.
Speaker 4: The bringing up with Kurt here.
Speaker 8: This guy is so awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, we lost you for just a second, you said the Americans, and then we lost you there. You could go anywhere you are with it.
Speaker 9: The options are endlest know the Americans the comments the Americans left versus the Canadians. The Canadians are all like, oh, this guy's so great, hugs and kisses, and I'm going to do that in my yard with my bear, and the the Americans are like, didn't this guy have a bullet? And this is like a typical Canadian, what doesn't he have any guns?
Speaker 3: Yep, it's an interesting sociological experiment.
Speaker 7: Typically in this situation, that bear would get a name.
Speaker 4: Have you have you named him yet?
Speaker 8: We mean of fat ass, just because.
Speaker 4: I love it. That's perfect.
Speaker 3: Have you have you had any contact with the local Fish and Game agency or the wildlife managers in that area? What do they think of it?
Speaker 8: No, we haven't.
Speaker 9: But that's intentional on our parts because in North Vancouver, there's the two extremes. People will like leave food out because they want to see the bear. The other extreme as they call the conservation officer at like any whiff of a bear. And so we don't call, and we don't leave food out. So we're trying to just keep it quiet, like enjoy the fact that the bears.
Speaker 10: In our yard on a regular basis.
Speaker 6: So, no, we have a We've got a question from Trevor. He says he thinks you're pretty good with animals after this whole thing. Do you have a history with any animals or live stock?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Nice question.
Speaker 9: Uh, yes, I have a live stock. It's a lot of very good history. I'm glad my wife isn't here answered this. But I've had donkeys and goats in the past, but it didn't go well and we didn't have them very long.
Speaker 8: I'm not a farmer.
Speaker 3: And well, I mean, it's got to be real satisfying when you see the bear go through the door. Do you have do you have any other I mean a treehouse? What's next for you? You're just gonna enjoy the door for a little while.
Speaker 10: So this is the south side of our yard.
Speaker 9: The north side of my yard is also on this route and currently has a broken tense and so we we've booked a guy to.
Speaker 10: Come build us a new one on the north side. So I'm going to build a.
Speaker 9: Bear door on the north side as well, because he again he comes in from the north.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he's on the south.
Speaker 10: I've got another door to build.
Speaker 4: Is this bear visiting every day pretty much? Is he pretty consistent?
Speaker 8: Yeah, two to three times a week.
Speaker 9: And he I saw him this morning much further from my house, and anytime of day, he's just like today's garbage day where the bins are out, so he'll be walking up the street and knocking bins over and just again really slow, really laid back, just doing this thing looking for food.
Speaker 8: Doesn't bug any buddy.
Speaker 9: Some people freaked out, and others kind of just watch him and film him.
Speaker 4: He's just a nice Canadian bear, just in trouble south of the border.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Well, I'm glad he's out there with you guys. I'm glad he's up there with you guys.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then when your studio reached out, I wanted to make it clear like I'm not shooting this bear.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to put him up on my wall and.
Speaker 9: This is as long as we understand that. Yeah, I'm not a hunter of guns, but I'm no hunter.
Speaker 3: Very cool. Well, thank you for sharing your story with us, Kurt, and thanks for joining us today. And good luck to you with that bear. Fencing is expensive, so I hope he doesn't take any more panels out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, thanks very much, guys.
Speaker 4: You all right?
Speaker 3: Next, our next segment is the rut Report.
Speaker 6: Oh shoot, you know what, I totally forgot to make a drop for this.
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 3: This is really randam It tells me to pause for sound. Well the thing here's the thing is actually go on.
Speaker 4: It's actually a really funny story because I just tail run. It's all ready here.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna tell you I'm about the tracks you byecause your weapon kids, goodbye.
Speaker 4: Don't decide to desert you.
Speaker 3: Oh I love that, nice randall I got Rickrolls nicely played, Phil nicely played.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 6: I lived my life on the internet like it's two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: Don't we all?
Speaker 4: Beautiful?
Speaker 3: Beautiful time back then. The Red Report is where Mark Kenyon gives a white tail hunting forecast for each region. Take it away, Mark.
Speaker 11: Hey, guys, Mark Kenyon. Here with wired Hunt coming at you with the RUT report for October twenty fourth, twenty twenty four. And as you can see, I am in my truck, just got out of the tree. Want to get you the latest report. And what I'm seeing out here today, what I've been hearing from folks across the country, is that things are about to get much better for many of us across the country. The last seven days or so have been pretty slow. There's been a very warm, stable period of weather, but that's about to change in the coming few days. There's a cold front moving across, at least to the northern half of the country, which is going to trigger more daylight activity. And that is all on top of the fact that as we enter the last week of October, bucks testosterone levels, at least for that northern two thirds of the nation, those testosterone levels are rising and we are nearing the peak of scraping activity. We are nearing the peak of those bucks feeling rambunctious and ready to go, but we still don't have very many, if any doughs ready to breathe. That's about to happen for much of the country here any day now, but maybe not quite yet. So those bucks are out there searching for that first dough. They are on the prowl, they're making scrapes. This is the peak of scraping activity the entire year. Likely they are becoming more susceptible to calls, and they're absolutely moving more in daylight. In the South, that's gonna be a little bit different, as there's variable rut dates for many parts of the southern tier. But if you are north of the Mason Dixon line, for sure, the next seven to fourteen days it's going.
Speaker 4: To be exciting.
Speaker 3: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: That gets me fired up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I can feel my testosterone levels rising.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Our next segment is one Minute Fishing.
Speaker 11: Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 12: We'll do you punk, Go ahead, make my cast.
Speaker 3: One Minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch a fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. This week, our angler is Chris Mcaluso, who's on Lake Poncha Train in Louisiana and he is fishing for a donation to TRCP.
Speaker 4: Chris.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Cold On Fellas how are y'all?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm doing fantastic. It looks like a beautiful day up there.
Speaker 10: Oh man, it is gorgeous.
Speaker 13: You know, if I had to, you know, if I had my brothers, it'd be about eight or ten degrees cooler because it's warm down here for late October.
Speaker 10: But gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 13: Not a cloud in the sky, a little bit of bee's blowing. Catching a fish here and there, not.
Speaker 12: A bad day.
Speaker 3: What do you go for today? C mac?
Speaker 13: Well, you know, just about anything that bites. That's the cool thing about the Lake Ponta train area is it's fresh water, it's salt water, it's brackis you know, it could be just about anything. So just as an example, we've caught large mouth, fast speckled trout, croaker. We haven't caught a redfish yet, but we did catch a blue catfish. We caught an alligator guard. But we've called a big variety of fish. And the cool thing is this time of year the fisher really key it in on shrimp. The white shrimp start to come out of the marsh this time of year, and uh, and that's what just about everything in this base and eats, including the.
Speaker 4: Bass and the catfish and everything like that.
Speaker 13: So it's just always one of my favorite times a year to be out on the water, especially in this area.
Speaker 3: Lovely. What are you What are you rigged up? What's your rig there, Chris?
Speaker 13: Well, we we fished a variety of things. But as I mentioned today, you know, as I mentioned earlier, the fish are really keying in on shrimp. So I'm fishing a voodoo shrimp, which is a plastic shrimp imitation bait. I'll stick in front of the camera here.
Speaker 12: Let's see if folks can see it.
Speaker 13: Yah, voodoo shrimp about two and a half three feet under a poppy. Fantastic And usually I'll fish that voodoo shrimp, just not under the cork this time of the year, just kind of relined it.
Speaker 10: But things have slowed down a little bit.
Speaker 13: Our tide quick moving about an hour ago, and the fish really have stop more or less.
Speaker 10: So, uh, I'm not.
Speaker 13: All that uh optimistic about my one minute challenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't bode well for a sixty second contest here, Uh, louill let us know. Are you are you ready to go for your for your one minute?
Speaker 4: I am ready to go.
Speaker 8: Man, Let's see we can make this happen.
Speaker 13: All right, he's been a spot where I've caught I've caught a couple of trout, and I've caught a couple of catfishing here already. So let's see we get another one to bit real quick.
Speaker 3: All righty well, we'll reel up and we will begin our timer when you cast.
Speaker 10: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: Here we go, Chris mclusa one minute fishing for trcp.
Speaker 4: Here we go.
Speaker 13: I will spend it. Today's not really reflective of how good the.
Speaker 10: Fishing has been.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you guys, meat Eater crew was was all down at yourris a couple of weeks ago. Uh, and I was down there at the same time. And uh, I'm hoping y'all's experience was similar to the one that I had, where we just thought pretty much whatever.
Speaker 2: We wanted to to fight your stuff.
Speaker 3: So let's see what we can make happen here, Phil, how are we doing on time?
Speaker 4: Got about twenty seconds left?
Speaker 3: Twenty seconds on the clock.
Speaker 13: Oh man, hop that cork poppin winny seconds.
Speaker 10: The pressure.
Speaker 13: I don't know if I could deal with the press fellas.
Speaker 3: It'll be over soon, don't worry.
Speaker 13: Oh, I just had a fight. Oh way, the court went down and take straight back up.
Speaker 6: Oh oh, that's the time right there.
Speaker 3: That's your time, sixty seconds. We'll have to get you back on here. Ce mac Man.
Speaker 13: I'd be happy to anytime. I mean, you know, I will like to, you know, throwing a plug for TRCP. I mean, we're doing so much good work in the marine fishery space right now, in addition to all the other great work that the organization's doing on public lands and water and everything else.
Speaker 10: That we work on.
Speaker 13: But you know, we're really making some headway on forge fish conservation, make it some headway on improving data collection for federal fisheries, and doing a lot of good habitat restoration advocacy, especially in Louisiana and up and down the Mississippi River basin. So I'd be happy to join you guys anytime to talk about any of that stuff.
Speaker 3: Wonderful. Well, hopefully you won't catch too much flak on the Monday morning leadership call for failing to secure that five hundred dollars donation, but please know that you're welcome back at any point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I don't suspect I'm gonna get a pink slip or anything, but I appreciate the opportunity.
Speaker 3: But they did just catch you out fishing on a Thursday. Well I look, I mean, oh no, he's gone time there. Oh no, Oh, that's disappointing. I always enjoy a chance to chat with my friend Chris there.
Speaker 4: Phil.
Speaker 3: Do we have any listener feedback for today, anything that needs addressing.
Speaker 6: I've got a couple things here is these questions for seth Oh. Are you planning to participate in any fishing competitions with Chester in the near future? Thank you for your answer.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'd like Now Chester's in Wisconsin, I'd like to get back and fish with those top notch fishermen in the Upper Midwest, so hopefully we can make some tournaments happen in Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: Does the competition aspect of it is that appealing to you or is it just another excuse to like get out on the water X number of days this summer.
Speaker 4: It's pretty appealing. I'm not like a very competitive person, but when I was fishing those competitions here in Montana, it made the fishing just like that much more fun. Get your blood, boy, yeah, you know, just trying to especially when you're fishing against a bunch of really good fishermen. Yeah, it's like you just want to You just want to do good. Just makes you fish harder, makes you fish smarter.
Speaker 3: That's how I feel every day I come in this office. I just want to do good.
Speaker 6: This is a question for Randall. Yeah, it's from Matthew. Has there been any interest or thought on an audiobook on the history of Houndsman. Has this been a discussion with Steve? There are groups in Texas trying to change management from Mountain Lions and the stuff in Colorado.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, lots going on in the hound hunting and mountain lion hunting world. We have not actually talked about an audio book specifically on the history of Houndsman. We are working right now on the Mountain Men audiobook, and then we have a whole slate of audio projects, history based audio projects coming out until I've you know, I'll be forty one, I think by the point we do all that. So if you don't know how old I am, that probably doesn't mean anything to you. Also means you probably didn't watch the episode to host on my birthday. But yeah, no, that would be a great topic. And I'm not sure that I can think of any resources out there that I've encountered that would cover that history specifically about hound hunting, but it's certainly a fascinating subject.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure, Troy asks that he loves the Meater movie review. Has there ever been any discussion about book reviews on the live show. I'll pipe in here first and I'll say we we're probably not going to do books on the live show, just because movies are a lot more digestible and we can and more people can watch them before we do the live show.
Speaker 3: But the truth is, Troy, we have trouble getting people to read emails, much less works of fiction and non fiction.
Speaker 6: If you listen to the Mediater podcast occasionally we do a segment called Steve Read's Books, so you don't have to Those are usually books that you probably don't want to read anyway, unless you're a guy like Steve, which hey, maybe you are. But yeah, maybe we'll do like a more legitimate book reviews here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we appreciate the love for the for the movie Club. It's very fun. It's one of the highlights of my professional life. So uh yeah, maybe we'll have to think about books in the future.
Speaker 4: I saw another comment there for Montana Walleye tour in caps, just saying, oh, yeah, the people got to give the people like the people want it.
Speaker 3: It sounds like I'll write that down and we'll just send that upstairs.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I can only speak for myself, but the people want it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Great, keep sending in questions. We'll do this again at the end of the show, and yeah, move it along here.
Speaker 3: Thank you Phil. Our next segment is Show and Tell.
Speaker 1: Mania Show down, Man to show.
Speaker 4: It's been so brought a rock? What else did you spect?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm sorry about that, just lost in the moment. It's that sin, it's that synthesizer. It's so rich.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's so rich.
Speaker 3: It's like a hearty meal.
Speaker 4: Just really quick.
Speaker 6: Tyler says, thank god Spencer is in here with his rocks.
Speaker 3: Oh I think we've got something much better than rocks to share with you today, seth we do E're up first? What'd you bring in today for Show and Tell?
Speaker 4: I over the years have been collecting shell casings, and I got a handful of them here.
Speaker 8: M hmm.
Speaker 4: These are my the ones that I have deemed to be the more interesting ones that I've found over the years. So let's see where do I want to start. Let's start with this one. This one is head stamped thirty Army super Speed. And this one I found in the deep, deep dark spot on the Rocky Mountain Front. Actually, me and my buddy Rick Haunting. We're hunting way back in there one day and almost got cliffed out in the spot, and we were kind of trying to pick our way up through this really sketchy cliffy area and I threw my foot up on a rock and heard some metal clinging, and I looked down and this rifle case he was sitting there and just one, just one, And I don't like. I just thought to myself, like, you know what, maybe we're not the only people that got ourselves into this shitty situation.
Speaker 3: That's that's the only place I like to find cigarette butts. It's just like in a really weird place in the woods.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The next one I got here is headstamped seven point nine FS nineteen thirty nine, and it has TC on it with the little uh. It's like the crescent moon with the star. I really don't know a whole lot about it. I've done some research and it looks like it's Turkish ammo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, A lot of those Eastern Bloc countries US use those around.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I found this in Montana on the edge of a meadow and there was about five of them sitting there in a pile.
Speaker 3: So someone was either doing some target practice or some bad hunting.
Speaker 4: I think they. I think they they were shooting a bowl and just yeah, you know, I wanted to get just pump them until he's done type of thing. At least that's what I think. Got another one here that just says SL forty five, So Saint Louis Armory nineteen forty five. This one I found lane right next to a stone point oh wild in Montana.
Speaker 3: What what must have got a good hunting spot.
Speaker 4: That's thirty six, I believe. Yeah. Yeah. This one, from my understanding, was brought home from World War Two for my great grandfather. He fought fought in Battle of the Bulge. It's head stamped r A for Remilton Arms nineteen forty three fifty BMG. And then this one is my favorite. I have no clue what it is. It seems to be like a big boar buffalo cartridge. Uh huh, no head stamping at all. It just has a tiny little pinhole in it.
Speaker 3: So not a real not a modern, not a pocket.
Speaker 7: No, not a center fire.
Speaker 4: If anyone knows what this could be, please reach out.
Speaker 3: Throw it in the chat.
Speaker 5: You haven't like figured out even what what caliber it is?
Speaker 4: Nope, which which one of these? It's that the one on the left, one on the left there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it doesn't have it's it's doesn't have a it doesn't have like primer pocket. It doesn't have a centerfire primer pocket.
Speaker 4: I have no clue what it is.
Speaker 3: Someone out there in the internet knows.
Speaker 4: I found it in what would have been uh Crow territory HM in Montana.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be an old so an old old cartridge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hard to say what it is, but yeah, that's I found that when I was a little punting about three years ago.
Speaker 3: And the aggregate of your collection, how many do you have at home? These are just the highlights.
Speaker 4: Got a bucket I have about peanut butter jar ten or twelve. I do have a jar of like shell casings of either critters I've killed or just like random ones I've found. But yeah, these are kind of the cooler ones that I have.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for bringing them in. Appreciate it, Brody. What did you bring for us today?
Speaker 5: Well, Seth brought bullet cartridges and I brought guns.
Speaker 8: Mmmm.
Speaker 7: Guns that'll make you glad you have the guns you can buy.
Speaker 3: Now we are living in the golden age.
Speaker 5: We'll start with this beauty here, which is a Model sixty seven Winchester twenty two. This is my dad's first gun. I think he got it used, so he would have got it like probably in the early fifties. It was made probably in the forties, sold for like six bucks back then, single shot Winchester twenty two. I shot a lot of red squirrels with this, with this little sucker.
Speaker 3: I like that the screw holding the barreled action into the stock is just a big thumbscrew.
Speaker 4: Yep. Yeah, you don't.
Speaker 5: At some point my dad had a scope on here. I never had a scope, and it's actually got it o'clock yep. But we had to make a rear sight for it, which is like it's not well done. But man, I shot it pretty well when I was a little kid.
Speaker 4: And that's just like a single shot yep.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we do the old it's not loaded, folks.
Speaker 3: It looks like an old cock. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You pull that that spring back.
Speaker 4: That's safety.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, and then you shouldn't shouldn't dry fire rim fire guns. But yeah, that was It's a real safe gun for a kid to learn on.
Speaker 3: That's cool, very cool.
Speaker 5: Then my first like real deer rifle. I think I started hunt hunting with. Uh, sorry, Karan, I was pointing at at you.
Speaker 3: It looks like when you if you've drifted over here a little bit, it looks like you're holding the muzzle up to my head.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think I started saying a shot. But this is my first real rifle, and it's a Winchester Model ninety four thirty thirty. Like millions of deer hunters started out with a version of this rifle. This one was made before nineteen eighty three, when Winchester went to a side eject and angle eject. This this comes out right out the top, right in your face, you know. If you're cranking awesome shots at running deer, which was common.
Speaker 4: Back in the day, that's what happened.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a pain, really, And because it's a topic jacked. You can see these old cheap scope mounts that around her mount the scope offset, so you have to like lean over to the side to look through the scope. So yeah, it's a relic and uh, I'm glad I still have it.
Speaker 4: Very cool man, that is, there's a lot of Pennsylvania deer hunters that ran that same set up for many years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I still want to I want to take it out and kill something with it.
Speaker 3: Would be a great lion gun. Yeah, be a great lion gun.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Well for for my show and tell today, I brought this book. And this is a book that I got. It was in my grandfather's stuff. It's called The Gods Were Kind by William Willis and inside it is inscribed to Biarna J. Moultou, who's my grandfather Norwegian? If you are curious about the name. Who is chief mate on the SS Kettarak, the last ship I served as a seaman, partner, friend and great shipmate with good wishes every good wish. William Willis nineteen fifty six. And I found this and I didn't really know what it was. I'd never heard of this guy. But it's the story of him sailing alone with his parrot and his cat from South America to American Samoa on a raft made of seven balsa logs. So he went down to South America. He picked out seven balsa trees. They cut him down, and then he just went to Samoa at age sixty one.
Speaker 5: What's a nautical mind? What's the distance on that little salem?
Speaker 3: Six seven hundred miles on a homemade raft, on a homemade raft and then wild. The best part is he after he wrote this book, and again this is just like one of those characters he discovered after he wrote this book. At the age of seventy one, he sailed ten thousand miles from South America to Australia. And then at age seventy four, he disappeared while trying to cross the Atlantic, the North Atlantic at age seventy four.
Speaker 7: Two out of three ain't bad.
Speaker 3: No, not bad at all. They found his boat, he was not on it, but they found his ship's log.
Speaker 4: So wow.
Speaker 3: Interesting character. And this book has significance to me because it's where I first learned that mahi mahi were also called dolphin, because I was reading this book at like twelve years old, and I was like, man, he's killing a lot of dolphins. He's just He's like, I caught some more dolphins. I saw some dolphins. I killed them. I ate them so like, I started baiting some hooks with dolphin heads and I just thought this was very, very strange, and so yeah, that opened my eyes to the nomenclature that we use for that fish. I have another sort of silly show, and tell Phil if you'll bring that picture up. This photo is the other thing I'd like to share with you guys. This week we are recording Meet Eaters American History, volume two, about the Mountain Men, and this photo was taken by yours truly on Tuesday after a lunch of Thai food, and Steve laid down and he attempted to use the helmet as a pillow, but the extuar of the helmet, he found the shell was too hard, so he thought, I wonder if it feels good if I put my head in there, which he did, and then he proceeded to take a ten minute catnap on this very carpeted floor. So please know that we are hard at work on the next volume of Mediat's American History. And Steve did say because he ate a bunch of noodles, and he said, I thought, he's like I thought, marathon runners eat a bunch of noodles. Before they run marathons. How do they do that? And I said, I think you're supposed to do it the night before. They're not hawking down spaghetti like immediately before the race. So everybody learned something, alrighty. Our next segment is a hot tip off. Hot tip Off time. Hot tip off is where two members of the crew go head to head with competing pieces of advice, and after we hear each tip, we'll declare which one is hotter. Take it away, Phil.
Speaker 11: Mark Kenyon, Hey, guys, Mark Kenyon, here for another hot tip off. And here's my suggestion for you. Pay more attention to tracks. If you are out there hunting white tails trying to kill a buck, especially a mature buck, it's really useful to know exactly what you're looking for when you're trying to figure out is this a dough track, is this a buck track? Is this a big old mature buck track. The best way I found to learn how to identify a mature buck track is to actually get a real mature buck hoof and test it for yourself. Now, this is obviously not a real mature buck hoof. I don't have that, But what I have done in the past is taken off the hoof of a mature buck I've killed, and then go take it and press it into the dirt, press it into mud, press it in at different angles, go to different types of locations, and see what that buck's hoof print actually looked like in real life. And then you will know yourself this kind of buck makes that kind of track. It's an incredible and simple way to get better identifying mature buck tracks. And you can do it if you kill at least one mature buck in your life. Save that hoof, test it out. See what a mature buck print looks like in the rain, See what it looks like in a dusty sandy soil. It's very interesting, very helpful.
Speaker 1: Jason Philps, I'm Jason Phelps, and here's my hot tip here in New Mexico archery all cutting. It's been getting pretty windy in the evenings, you know, from about three to five, and one thing I wanted to share is how I'm planning my evening hunts and even my morning hunts is I will put a waypoint where I think those elk a at and I will add wind to that point so I can see what the active wind is doing. You know, for instance, right now, it's blowing seven miles an hour out of the southwest. I then add in what are the thermals doing? Is the sun hitting that face the creek draws, is they're running water, you know how the wind could be affecting it, And then I will plan my approach that way. That way, there's no chance those elk are ever gonna you know, smell me. So yeah, I'm always looking at that wind. I'm checking when I get up in the morning before I go to an area. Maybe I have to, you know, go to an area a different direction than then as the easiest direction. So add those waypoints, plan your hunts that way, and you're never gonna fool in elk's nose. So I'm always using this to make sure my approaches are good as I'm calling my way into elk because I'm approaching elk, because I'm hunting elk just in general, you know, even for rifle hunters that are still hunting, this is even more important.
Speaker 12: At least I can hear these oaks.
Speaker 3: So that's my hot tip.
Speaker 1: Use on ex waypoints in the wind feature, and I think you're gonna you know, and you find it very useful. It's been pretty spot on this entire hunt.
Speaker 3: Alrighty two hot tips there before you guys way in and I hope you consider the uh the two tips you've just heard. I saw perhaps what is my favorite listener comment of all time here?
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: Someone commented in regards to the mustache list Mark Kenyon, is this Marks a strange teenage son? Yes? Mark does look quite young when he gets rid of his facial hair. So yeah.
Speaker 6: Michael also asked why we keep showing this little kid? And does he have working papers?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a crying shame that, yeah, got rid of his mustage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know what labor law is in Michigan, but yeah, we could run into some hot water if we keep showing Mark without his mustache.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 3: Thank you both for those comments. That really made my day.
Speaker 6: All right, we have a lot of votes for Phelps already, just just to get the get in front of.
Speaker 3: This all right, seth, what are your thoughts here?
Speaker 4: Well, not a very popular opinion around these parts, but I like whitetails more. Nelk, So I'm going with the young boy Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 3: But is that I mean, are you considering the actual utility of the.
Speaker 4: Tip and knowing what a big whitetail track looks like is very helpful.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, Brody.
Speaker 5: I gotta go with felt because it's just applicable to way more than elk.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 7: It's like, you know, name a big game.
Speaker 5: Species and that tip is you can apply it.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep. What I appreciated the most about Mark's tip was I imagined him rolling around a golf bag with different age hoofs in it because he's He's like, you want to get a big buck hoof this this is just this is another bucks.
Speaker 4: I'll take the three and a half year old. I think.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have exactly, Yeah, he's got he doesn't have that many big buck hoofs laying around. But yeah, I I really enjoyed that. I have to agree, I think with Brody and what seems to be the consensus of the audience here.
Speaker 8: I like.
Speaker 3: I like the tip from Phelps. I do think, uh, you know, a tip that you can carry with you in any different situation just makes you Yeah, as a hunter.
Speaker 5: Spot in stock, walk into a tree stand in the dark, like that tip will work. It's not just an elk elk hunting you know.
Speaker 3: Tip M hm. Uh, I guess you could do the the white tail tip with Elk and you know, bear hunting. But it's a lot of weight to haul around.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, a little, a little bigger hoof.
Speaker 3: Yeah alrighty, So Phelps one, Phelps one. Congratulations to Jason Phelps.
Speaker 6: And he doesn't want anything.
Speaker 3: He can't make a donation.
Speaker 6: Hey, no, we ran out of money because you just got too many perfect games.
Speaker 3: Oh I forgot about that, thanks Phil. Yeah, yeah, we had. We had quite an interesting day on Monday. This week, we'll have to tune into future Trivia episodes. Our next guest today is Dante Perreno.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's coming to us live from Baldwinsville, New York, and Dante recently caught a state record smallmouth bass, but chose to release it before the New York Department of Environmental Conservation could inspect the fish and verify the record. Dante, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: Hey guys, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: So, Dante, thanks for joining us. I understand you had a pretty good day on the water about a month ago. Can you tell us what you were doing that morning and how things started out?
Speaker 14: Yeah, so it was a New York bassination Federation tournament out of August. So I was on the Saint Lawrence and it runs about one hundred miles to the mouth of the Lake Ontario, and it was probably like a seventy five mile run to where I was going, and it was an area that I wasn't really familiar with. I just found it Friday morning before I was bringing my grandfather a load of frozen walleye before the tournament that weekend there. It was a shortened day Friday, but I had to make sure he was taken care of. And then, yeah, I was honestly pretty crazy. Rolled in there and caught two small ones and I was debating about leaving, and I was kind of waiting for the lake to lay down a little bit and hooked into that giant fish and that cut me around for pretty much the rest of the day before I had to make the run back.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us a little bit about the technique you're using or the lower tackle or anything like that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So I was using garment live scope out in about thirty feet and kind of just tracking him down and there wasn't a lot of fish around, but I was using a three eight ounce ned rigg heard with Berkeley maxcent flat.
Speaker 12: Nose minnow nice.
Speaker 14: So it's real small, subtle presentation and just utilizing electronics to find them and hunt them down. But I was throwing it on a seven foot medium Fantasy's premiere Abu Garcia with a revolt rocket.
Speaker 5: I assume you knew you knew you had tied into something pretty big when you hooked it, but like, what was the reaction when you saw it next to the boat?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I knew.
Speaker 14: I thought it was like a six founder, Like I knew it was like a good one. So it was fighting, it was fighting hard and obviously was pretty heavy. And then I was alone, didn't have a co English, so I netted it myself. And then once I tried to flop it in with like one arm with a net and laid it down, and what a physit. I don't know if you're familiar with fizzic some fish from deep water. So I threw it on the live well lid and then it was like covered up the whole live bult lid and it was.
Speaker 12: A it was a freak.
Speaker 3: Could you explain the fizzing for folks that might not Are you familiar with it?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So I like to relate it to like if you were to go swimming in a pool or swimming anywhere and you go to try to swim to the bottom, like you'll feel that pressure on your ears. Like it's a similar thing with fish. They have an air bladder, so whenever you you don't even have to really pull them out of deep water, but essentially whenever a fish comes up and change an elevation happens really quick, then their air bladder will like puff up. You keep them out of the water for like maybe more than a minute to thirty seconds. So use like a little needle with a plastic insert from New York's Barbelly. It makes like the best one in my opinion. But you basically prick the fish in this air bladder like four spine over lined up with the anal poor just basically directly behind their one fin, and you'll lay them in the water in the live bulb kind of in your hand and level them out and you'll release the air and it'll bubble out. But you want to make sure you prick it obviously in the right place, and you'll let it bubble out and just kind of hold it in your hands like this until the fish will right itself and then once it writes itself, should be good to.
Speaker 12: Live all day.
Speaker 14: Because I caught that fish early, and that was my first thing, was like I was thinking. I was like, I keep this thing alive because it was early on in the day and they had an eighty mile run back into the hot summer day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And just so folks are clear, I know, like in Alaska you're required to pop the air bladder on some of those fish before you release them. But this is not required. You're just doing this. This is an extra step you're taking to make sure that fish survives.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean it's true.
Speaker 14: It's preached more and more in tournaments up here because there's a lot of folks that fish tournaments on the Saint Lawrence and more and more that are coming to that aren't accustomed to catching deep small mouth or deep fish wherever. Yeah, so try to preach that the best we can to keep this fishery healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In Alaska, we're required to carry what's called a deep release. Oh that's right. Yeah, that's what you Basically they come up like you'll catch a rock fish comes up, the bladders hanging out of its mouth, eyes are all puffed out and then you release, You basically send them back to the bottom with a bunch of weight.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's what I was thinking of. Yeah, I misspoke the deeper least rig uh Dante. I mean, did you did you know it was a small mouth the whole time? Or were you curious at all?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 3: What do I have on here? Are you just like this is a big smally, just business as usual.
Speaker 14: I was hoping it wasn't a drum, Like it crossed through my head that it might be a drum, just because it was like the way it was fighting, was coming all the way to the boat and then swimming all the way back down so you'll run into freshwater. Drum or cheap had cheap said is what other people call them. But I was pretty certain it was it was a bass, just the way you could kind of feel them shaking their head whenever you're fighting.
Speaker 12: So usually the drums like a couple of real.
Speaker 14: Long runs, but the pass tend to like, I don't know, you can catch a lot of them and you're in the zone. You can almost feel like they're the head shape and it feels like a bass. But I was just hoping that it was and it wasn't a drum basically.
Speaker 3: So you so then you kept fishing for the day.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So I was in points standing wise, it's like three cumulative tournaments and they take the top six in the state, and I was like behind in the stands. So I needed to catch like twenty eight to thirty pounds in order to make the top six. So I know as soon as I caught that I need to catch like four more minimum five pounders.
Speaker 12: In order to even have a shot.
Speaker 14: So it was just like visit it through the light, bull checked like five minutes later to make sure it was standing up straight and looked healthy as a whrse. So just kept going throughout the day and it was pretty pretty crazy day full of emotions.
Speaker 3: So the record has not crossed your mind yet, You're just solely focused on that total at the end of the day.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I didn't even like once I voted it, Like I didn't even really think about the record at all, And not until I got all the way back to weigh in and weighed it and then the scale at nine even, and a few guys were like saying, I call the DC, called the DC, and they're like, that's a new state record. I knew it was an eight and changed from Kyuga, but I didn't really.
Speaker 5: What what what is the existing state record?
Speaker 14: So it was eight pounds and six ounces. But the near DC did certify the one that I caught over the last couple of weeks, I think if they've made it official.
Speaker 12: So I got them all.
Speaker 14: The witnesses signatures, length, girth, and then all the scale certification and calibration and everything that they needed to get official. But yeah, like you said, I mean, whenever we called them, they said that they didn't have an EOC officer that could come on site. So they're like, you, if you want the record officially, then you have to keep it, put it on ice.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we'll call the next day.
Speaker 14: But like, we're not saying that you're gonna get it. We're not saying you're not going to get it if you release it.
Speaker 3: Sure, So so if you were to, if you would have held onto that fish and killed it, you could have been sort of guaranteed that this would get certified. But instead you you trusted that or at least you wanted to release it enough that you'd rather the fish survive and go through sort of through the more I guess the less certain route of taking all those steps to certify it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 14: I mean I didn't want to selfishly take that fish's life over. I mean it had to bend twenty to twenty five years old in order to get nine pounds.
Speaker 4: So wow, that's awesome. How did you end up that day in the tournament?
Speaker 14: I ended up when I had thirty one and change thirty one point four I think was a total for best five.
Speaker 12: So I ended up taking it home and.
Speaker 3: Then quite a day.
Speaker 4: Congrats, I appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So when you rolled up to the way and then you should pulled that fish out, I mean, what was the reaction from from the dock there?
Speaker 14: Yeah, everyone was going crazy. I doesn't really expect in it. And then like I turned around to like grab it out of the bag and then hold it up, and it was like, I don't know, twenty thirty people standing there with all their phones out, like freaking out. So it was it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what was your what was your previous big prior to that? Just like in your in your life of fishing.
Speaker 14: I caught a seven pound, two ounce one in July practicing for the thousand Island open out of Kingston. Gotch was that one was like old and the crap had like definitely passed its prime. Yeah, this fit like healthy and built. So this one was it looked a lot different. But like in my whenever I got that seven pounder of the boat, it was just like so old that so many just beat up marks on it that it looked almost looked bigger than this one. But this one that just built with shoulders and had a crazy frame on it.
Speaker 3: So that's awesome.
Speaker 4: That is awesome.
Speaker 8: So uh.
Speaker 3: Are you So do you have more tournaments up ahead?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it's kind of all downhill from here. Right with the a state record smally and a big day, I mean, what's what's next for you?
Speaker 12: It's only gonna be hard to top that.
Speaker 14: But I mean it ran into some unfortunate Look, last weekend was the last tournament up on the river, and and I had my lower unit go out, So I was planning on doing the sixty second fish. Oh yeah, it's a fish with you guys, But yeah, we'll get you.
Speaker 3: So we'll have to get you back on for that. I have a feeling you might be a competitive candidate.
Speaker 14: When you guys messed me a few weeks ago, and then last weekend it literally just went out. So I'm gonna be down for a few weeks, but hopefully I'll still be able to get out in November and just catch some fish for fun because they're they're definitely plugging that time of yere.
Speaker 3: Nice well, Dante, We appreciate you coming on. It's an awesome story. Congrats on the fish, and kudos to you for releasing it. You know, it's it's it seems like it wasn't a question in your mind, but you did the right thing for that fish, and uh, it's just a very cool story all around.
Speaker 12: Thanks man, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you.
Speaker 4: Thanks show.
Speaker 12: Thanks man, have a good one.
Speaker 4: That's a fish guy that you can tell. Oh yeah, fishy guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just like he's he's a cool customer.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I would like to fish with him someday.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling he has a few spots he could take us too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, gang, I'm sorry to say, but that brings us to the end of the show. Save for some listener comments, Phil, what do you got for us? Last call for comments, Yeah, now drop them in the chat. Please please.
Speaker 6: Also, if you guys want, there's a really easy thing you can do for those who keep coming to the show live or miss it or whatever. If you go to your YouTube settings. There's if you go to the met eater podcast network account, because it's usually like a little bell somewhere that you can click next to the subscribe button. And if you're thinking, oh, I don't want to be notified every time they put out a podcast episode, because sometimes they put out an episode every day, sometimes two, you can just you can change your settings that you get a notification only when we go live for for a live stream, and this is the only program in which we do that. So if you want to get notified every time this show goes live, so you don't miss it, and you can watch it at work, hide it from your boss, but your boss guess what, he's also watching it?
Speaker 3: Most likely, Yeah, everybody's tuning in.
Speaker 4: Everyone's tuning in.
Speaker 6: And also we will post this live and so in your subscription feed you'll see it. I'm going to try to do it the night before now. And then there's a little notify me button on the individual video. So if you just want to get notified about a single video, you can do that as well.
Speaker 4: So that's one thing you can do.
Speaker 3: Can we get a round of applause in the chat for Phil here, because he's just taking this live show to the next level.
Speaker 4: By by by reminding you to turn on your notifications? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you got for a film?
Speaker 6: Docton asks Utah proposed change to the changes to the rifle and muzzleloader hunts on my unit for the next five years. They proposed open site rifles and traditional muzzleoaders, flintlock, et cetera. They want to increase deer herd's opinions.
Speaker 5: I'm not fall open site rifle and true, I think it's just that they took away the option to use a scope generally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think there are a couple of different places across the West that are considering making some changes to the legal technology. Yeah, it's it's a tough question. It's tough. It's tough to roll things back once guys are using them and they're and they're used to them. But I think, you know, if that's what needs to be done to conserve the resource, and that's what the state or the managers think is most appropriate. It's kind of hard to argue with it, but I'm just not familiar enough with that particular proposal.
Speaker 5: It's like roll like you said, rolling back, kind of like a traditional use pattern. Like I don't know, that's hard man, Like I like, I'd rather see him cut tag numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's what I'm curious, is, like, have they is it the case that they've cut tag numbers and they're cut still and the and the shortened seasons and they still don't if this is the last tool in the toolbox. I guess I sure and understand it. But yeah, rolling things back and taking things away.
Speaker 5: There's an argument to be made, like a serious argument to be made against doing that, simply because you could say you're less accurate, more wounded deer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Always think about that when when you know it's it's there's not a right answer, no, but like, yes, certain technologies are more effective and for better or worse, like that might lead to increased harvest, but it also probably hopefully leads to less you know, wound laws.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Brent is asking Randall, is it cheating if I have to google the spelling of a meat eater crossword ansle answer. It sucks to suck at spelling as someone who just got dinged for a for a misspelled word the other day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I would like to point out I I appreciate the support and the YouTube comments. I did think that crystalis should have counted if chrysalis is the answer, And I noticed that there are quite a few of you out there who agreed with me and I your support is acknowledged and appreciated.
Speaker 6: It was acknowledged by me as well as well, but not as appreciated as much.
Speaker 3: I guess. I guess it depends on how you're googling the spelling. That seems like a slippery slope. So you're typing in the misspelled word to get the right word, or are you saying, like I'm trying to think of this.
Speaker 4: Word, how do you spell?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, my opinion is that it's only going to slow you down, and that's a longer time is going to bring your score down. So by googling spelling, you're kind of just you're shooting yourself in the knee.
Speaker 5: There and at a certain point it's just going to cause you to not get the next.
Speaker 4: Series of yeah. Correct.
Speaker 3: My general crossword philosophy is some days I will not look at any hints and I won't flip over any tiles. I mean not on the meat Eater crossword, of course, But like when I'm in the New York Times, some days I hold myself very honest and accountables, and some days I just want to have fun doing a crossboard and so so you know, you're playing against yourself. It's kind of like golf. So just you know, if you have to wipe a stroke every now and then, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, Seth.
Speaker 6: This is this is one a single question. But when you were doing going over your show and tell stuff, there was an ongoing conversation happening in the live chat about what some of those rounds might be. Yeah, he's giving you tips, but this is honestly, this is a question. But this is me Phil giving you a tip, Seth to maybe revisit the live chat after the show. Yeah, because there was some discussion happening that was over my head. Oh okay, Ife, it won't be over you go through it.
Speaker 4: I'll go through it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And this is for all of you. If each of you could propose one very specific topic for an upcoming book in the med Eater lineup?
Speaker 4: What would your topic be?
Speaker 6: And I'd say sky's the limit here, not like realistically, like you personally, if you could pitch a book to be published as a part of the mediat lineup, something that really that you're really into.
Speaker 3: Boy, Boy, that's tough. That is tough, because I have a pile of books that need to be written, as does Brody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got there's plenty of books in your future coming from Meat Eater. I recently and I still would like to see it happen. We a few years, several years back, we did the hunting guide books, the Big Game in small game hunting guide books. I one of my recent pitches is doing a similar thing with fishing. But we were testing the waters to see if there's a demand for it or not. So send us if you want it, send us a message.
Speaker 4: As a photographer here at meat Eater, I wouldn't mind seeing just a fantastically beautiful coffee table book.
Speaker 5: Of which has been we pitched that up, all the all the.
Speaker 4: Photos that have been taken over the years here. Be pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't be cheap though, No, not, no glossy coffee table books are, but it would be worth it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, collectors.
Speaker 3: Worth every penny, I think. Yeah, I think so even if you could, you know, if you could get some autograph copies, maybe do a limited release of Seth Morris autograph copies.
Speaker 4: I like that idea.
Speaker 3: I think my idea that's just come to me now. It's not something that I've been dreaming up, but I think it would be useful to have like a sort of a reference and history about you know, public lands, the North American model, explaining different land management agencies and their history and sort of what their priorities are as an agency, and just sort of giving people the vocabulary and context to talk about policy that affects hunters and anglers, you know, in a way that's like conversational.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like that's the challenge is to yeah.
Speaker 3: Because you can get bogged down and like the the legally and the administrative and bureaucratic jargon. But obviously, like there's no shortage of interest in that from our audience. Like people love that stuff and they want to know more and they want to be more involved. So I think like a sand dictionary or encyclopedia of conservation would be.
Speaker 7: I think it's like.
Speaker 5: Out being out here in the West, you're just like kind of automatically more burst in that stuff. Like I'm sure there's a lot of like I didn't know what in hell BLM was when I lived in Pennsylvania, right, So there's like a lot of things that a lot of people from other parts of the country that could they could learn a lot, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no. I remember when I was when I was in college, I was finishing up and I really wanted to go bear hunting, and I wanted to go to Montana, and I wanted to go bear hunting in Montana. And I remember having this realization like National Forest, you can hunt on National Forest. And then I looked at a map of Montana and saw the green on the map, and I was like, oh, of course I can go shoot a bear there like practically half the state.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: And but that was like a moment that opened my eyes when I realized like that these lands are accessible and opened all and opened to hunting because I was more familiar coming from the East or the Midwest with you know, national parks and the more sort of hands off public lands. So that's my that's my half cooked book pitch, which maybe should be a new segment.
Speaker 6: Here Iron Hops asks if he should get Jack White tickets tonight or banked his bank time for the rut here in Wisconsin. The answer is Jack White tickets. Next question, Come on, Randall, this is your first time in the program since Louisiana. Oh, just like, get me a quick fishing update, man.
Speaker 3: Louisiana was a lot of fun, met a lot of people from all around the country. Everybody had their own, like you know, personal passion hunting and fishing speaking, so we got to like just talk to people about deer hunting or pig hunting or whatever they did. But the fishing was fantastic. Every day we went out and kind of had a different program, Like we fished different looking stuff, caught a bunch of different fish, different species. It was consistent throughout the day, which is nice. Like you'd get into him starting right out of the first thing in the morning, and then you'd be catching him up till lunchtime, and then you never know when you get a big and yeah, we had some big black drum, some big red fish.
Speaker 4: You kind of never know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 3: You never know what you're gonna get Yeah, we were fishing this one redfish spot and we'd caught a couple out of there, and then I hooked something that just went straight out into the gulf, like under the boat and straight out to the gulf, just ripping line and popped off, and the guy it's like, oh, that was a shark. And Steve cast in the same place like thirty seconds later and another struck grabbed it and he actually boted that. But it was just like, yeah, I mean, coming from a place where you're either catching a trout or a whitefish, you know, it's cool to be in a real diverse fishery.
Speaker 4: Yeah. We caught a lot of different species.
Speaker 3: And then we went out on the dock and just caught weird catfish. Yeah, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: And there was big garb rolling right grolling.
Speaker 3: In a wild place, a lot of pelicans just like a super cool birds. Skaters, skaters. Yeah, I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cool, cool place.
Speaker 6: And Michael we address this, addressed this at the top of the show. He's asking about the trivia win being overturned.
Speaker 4: Brody seems very unbothered by it. If he has bothered, he's hiding it very well.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think if you Michael, I think if you look back at the last several episodes, you know, I've like, I beat Randall a bunch, so I got to give him a win here.
Speaker 4: It's true, you.
Speaker 3: Know, that's all the time we had. I'm just joking. We can have a couple more questions.
Speaker 6: Oh no, anything good, Phil, I was gonna end it there as well.
Speaker 3: Sorry you want to end it on a low note, No, I'm really well, I guess it's a high note because he's reminding us that I did win that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, Gang, appreciate you tuning in. It's always a pleasure to do this and a lot of fun to read the chat. So signing off for Meat Eater Radio Live.
Speaker 4: Howdios, see you next time.