Speaker 1: Yeah, what's up.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our bonus podcast, over promised Covino and Rich. We do this when we can't fit all the fun into our two hour show Monday through Friday two to four on the West Side with Live from LA I'm Steve Cavino, That is Rich Davis.
Speaker 1: Welcome to our first show of the spring. That's what's up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, buddy, excited for the weekend and thank you for being here. Maybe you heard about us from the Colin count Herd shout out today.
Speaker 1: He did give us some love today. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got some dumb shit to ask you right out the gate before we get into Otani and some terrible promotional ideas in the world of sports. Yeah, how many T shirts do you think you own?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I have stacks. You're asking the wrong your daddy stacks. But what do you think hundreds? All right?
Speaker 2: Be fair, I got rid of a bunch one hundred and fifty maybe, okay?
Speaker 1: Hemmy or in rotation twelve always the ones on top.
Speaker 3: I saw a meme that hit me right here. Six It said I own two hundred T shirts? Nine are a rotation?
Speaker 1: Is true? Man?
Speaker 2: You gotta flip the piles. You gotta do to switch a room. I'm saying, it's springtime, so you break it out.
Speaker 1: Those T shirts.
Speaker 3: If you have two hundred T shirts, throw that shit out or put them in rotation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is spring again.
Speaker 2: Everybody knows it's springing again, which means to me, baseball, ace ball.
Speaker 1: You know what I always think.
Speaker 3: I think you know, no baseball means to me starting the season arbit Charlie at three am in Soul, Korea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think that's the move baseball. You know, I don't know it's already started. I mean, what are you talking about. This guy has no soul. He has no soul, But it starts for the rest of us a week from today. I'm very pumped on the Yankees fan. Rich is a Mets fan. But the Dodgers fans, their butts are clenching a little bit right now because they're like, oh, we don't need this controversy to start off the season.
Speaker 3: By the way, the Japanese Superstars, not a good week, not the best week ever. I mean, Otani, We're gonna get to that drama in a second. But yammoo up. I know it's only one game. Who gives a crab? But do you really want your first start. It's like bowling and having like a six open frame in your first frame.
Speaker 1: Like can we start over? It's not a good tone center, but it really doesn't mean a whole.
Speaker 3: The first time you get with a girl, you'd be like and you're like, oh, that's I'm usually better.
Speaker 1: Like you have a Moto talking about I've heard nah, I don't know what he's talking about, but you guys know what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: I broke this down yesterday on our Fox Sports radio show, so much so that even Colin Cowherd was giving me shouts. So Otani, here's the story. His interpreter. Apparently apparently he stole money. I'm gonna say it's not stolen, stole money to place illegal bets. My theory is simple, Otani and his dude, who's been his best friend since he's moved to the United States. Look, we're talking about the guy, his right hand man, his interpreter from the Angel days until now. This guy placed it legal bets. Now baseball players can bet on any sport legally except baseball or softball.
Speaker 1: What do you think Pete Rose is doing right now eating his popcorn?
Speaker 3: I think he is, but it's not a matter of did he do anything wrong. According to MLB, it's a matter of did he bet illegally through a bookie. In the state of California, Orange County. That would be illegal. That's like a big time crime, especially with that amount of money. So I say cover up, I say scandal. I say this dude fell on the sword for his best Palo Otani is like, listen, they're pounding it up and uh, you know, bro hugging and s slapping in the dugout. An hour later, fired like he's the worst guy in the world. He is covering for his friend, and Otani's like, listen, I'm gonna make like a billion dollars.
Speaker 1: I got you take the fall.
Speaker 2: So essentially, the interpreter who's gone back and forth on his story, which caused a lot of speculation, is the fall guy here for Otani, and I do agree with Rich there's some shady going on there. Otani is just trying to cover up his name at this point, trying to save face.
Speaker 1: So the interpreter is the bad guy.
Speaker 2: But one could also speculate that Otani, being such a man of honor Japanese culture, the discipline he has in life just to be who he is. You think he does best budd under the bus like that by calling him a thief.
Speaker 3: As they said in the movie Twins back in nineteen eighty eight, bunny talks and bullshit walks.
Speaker 1: Money talks, bro.
Speaker 3: And if you're making seven hundred million dollars and the guys are gonna make a billion playing baseball in the States, I think his buddy is gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Maybe he has to go to court. Who knows.
Speaker 3: It could be more serious, But I think this is a great example of a cover up for a friend. This happens in the world of music, sports entertainment all the time. Dude, it happens in your regular day life. You're telling me you never covered up for a buddy. I had a boss when I first started radio, and I felt really uneasy doing this. Yeah, my first boss rest in peace. The guy passed away.
Speaker 1: His name was Tommy. Tommy would be off doing god knows what.
Speaker 3: He would come by the radio studio when I was doing like the late night show, and he's like, just so you know, and so my wife knows and everyone knows you. And I had a Burger tonight at the bar and I was with you bye, and I felt shitty about it, but he was my boss, and I was like, I heard him and you were a young kid.
Speaker 1: I'll be your cover up. And I think, yeah, I've dealt with a lot of that.
Speaker 2: I still deal with it because I got some shady friends in my life, and I'm making a statement today. I think I'm done with it. Why do I got a lie as an adult for someone else. I don't like to lie, I don't like the feeling of it, and I don't want to be involved in your state. Listen, so moving forward, I'm not playing your signals.
Speaker 1: I'm not playing your head nods. Right, uh right. We were at the we went out to dinner.
Speaker 2: Remember, and if you're gonna do this, you gotta run it past your alibi. You gotta run it past your scapegoat. You gotta run it past your guy. Because till this day, you know, women will come up to me and be like, so, how was the movie? You know, I'm like movie, And then I look at my button. My bud will be like, They'll give me like SND signals hand gestures. I'm like, I didn't see the signal. I thought the indicator was the nose to the hat and I'm like, oh, the.
Speaker 1: Movie, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, this guy's up to no good, like you said, up to shady behavior.
Speaker 1: So not only do I not want to be.
Speaker 2: A part of it moving forward, but if you're gonna involve me, at least give me the courtesy of letting me know that I was involved, you know, with your restaurant story or the movie we went to or something like that.
Speaker 1: Did you like drinks and Done too?
Speaker 2: You're like, doom too. It's funny, Oh yeah, doom too talking about too in a few minutes. But when you think of these scandals like this Otani story or this cover up, I mean, it's not the first time we've heard about We hear about it all the time in politics, from Watergate to priests, right, You hear about these cover ups all the time. In sports, one of my favorites is kind of recent. Fernando Tatiss gets caught with peds performance enhancing drugs. He suspended from the padres for eighty games, and then what is he saying. He says, Oh, no, it's a cream for a skin condition I had. Now you could believe that, or you could say, yeah, okay, nice try to cover up. I'm not buying into that. That's how I felt initially. I mean, anything could happen, But to me, I was like, yeah, all right, I cover up.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying this is true. In fact, it could be bs. But I remember when we were younger, when Michael Jordan dipped away from the NBA for a couple of years. There's the cover up that many people think he was told, we could suspend you, or you could voluntarily say I'm dipping away.
Speaker 2: He was definitely gambling, doing a lot of gambling. Maybe got caught up into something and the NBA said, hey, you have a choice to make, and then when the smoke clears, maybe you come back. I think there's a lot of scandal, a lot of I don't want to say truth to that.
Speaker 3: But if you're Atani's dude, I'm not saying again the sole speculation. If you're Atani's dude, the interpreter, who's his best friend. If he said, listen, take the heat. You're the guy that made these illegal bets. You quote stole money from me, I'll do the whole like you stole money. You're a lucky out on press charges.
Speaker 2: That's a major accusation, especially again, I just came back from Japan. It is about respect and honor. So basically Otani saying, yeah, you just gotta let me drag your name through the mud. Why would this guy be so willing to do that.
Speaker 3: But if I said, let me drag your name through the mud and say, you're lucky out on press charges, but I'll cover all the legal charges, the money, the lawyers, and you know what you're You'll be the highest paid interpreter slash consultant ever. Here's five million dollars. Friend, it's a big conspiracy cover up. If you ask me.
Speaker 2: No, and you know what, I do agree with rich Something fishy going on there? Again, he went back and forth. He told O'tani about it. Oh, but Otani never knew about it. The story changed like three or four times. And when that happens, that just means there's a lot of lying going on. Have you ever been here's the interesting part.
Speaker 3: Have you ever been someone's cover up and they hate you like their wife. We have a mutual friend. Yeah, Well, let's just say when he was up to shinan agains, when he was up to no good back back in the two thousands, let's say he was, uh, let's just say out in about with other women. It was always, oh, I'm out with Covino and Rich. His woman was like Cavino richer piece of shit.
Speaker 1: It's like, who whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: This mutual friend of ours woman sent us a nasty Graham one time. We're like what, we didn't even know we were involved in his cover up. Souls again, keep the people involved in your cover. If you're gonna be sleazy, make it clear as of today. Yeah, I'm nobody's fall guy, nobody's alibi, and I'm not lying just because you're up to no good. I want no involvement anymore moving forward. Any shady behavior I could be bought. I could be bought. Hey there you Gotani's new interpreter. Everybody Rich Davis. Yeah, no, but I it's funny. One of my exes' bro sunkid bro SUNKI I mean that means respect, respect, respect, Sonkai, I what's you say.
Speaker 3: I was at the end of a not great relationship. My ex had moved out of the house we were in together, and I was out and about, let's just say, having fun, but she was still up my ass, Like where are you.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: And in my mind, I'm like, I we're not together really anymore. I had an old coworker, you know, he works at Serious except Jared. Jared was my cover up for like a year.
Speaker 1: Of my life. But I told him.
Speaker 3: I was like, listen, dude, anytime I'm up to something, which I could sort of do because we're not even together. I told this girl, I'm with you, so if it ever comes up, like we hang out all the time time.
Speaker 1: He's like, all right, he's a good guy.
Speaker 2: But again it sounds like young guy antics too oh for that shit here trying to be part of your deceit.
Speaker 3: If someone of true money and clout was like, Cavino, take the fall for this. It's gonna be worth your while. You're so anti taking the fall?
Speaker 1: What you do?
Speaker 2: How you have this odd defends man? This guy that's his job. He's an interpreter, he had a reputation, he's done it for a long time. So again, is it gonna affect my character, affect my future, affect my profession.
Speaker 1: Money means a lot. I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But if that's the story, you heard it here first, and Dan Byer and myself, we all talked about it yesterday on Fox Sports Radio. It's been a developing story. I don't think it's going away, but you know how you make it go away real quick. Lots of production and home runs from show HEO time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what you say. We always have this argument, you and I What does money mean? I'll tell you what money means earlier today on our other pod cast our Patreon, we're talking about the abnormal, ridiculous cost of college for your daughter and my kids.
Speaker 1: One day.
Speaker 3: Hey, I got it covered. I'm Otani. You're not taking it. You are you are You're the fall guy. You'll you'll land on the sword, the fall guy.
Speaker 2: That's the story. It's a big story, don't be mistaken. There's some scandal going on, and he's the biggest name in baseball. But again, the official season starts a week from today and I am pumped.
Speaker 1: And you know what else is cool about baseball?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you promotional giveaways, bobble heads, things like that, Hey, come to opening Day and get yourself and Aaron Judge. You'll never get one. This's cool, but I love that.
Speaker 1: Who got you? The Uncle Joe? Yeah, what a guy.
Speaker 2: Actually, my mom bought me this Uncle Joe got the one behind me, Marianna Rivera.
Speaker 1: You see that one there? It is Ah, yeah, he's such a yankee weenie. My mom bought me this one.
Speaker 2: But speaking of Weenie's rich, Yeah, they're part of our worst promotional items of all time. There's a story, yeah, and it involves a movie you already referenced it Dune too.
Speaker 3: Now I must be missing something because I watched Dune one. It's available I think on HBO Max or Hulu or something. I got fifteen twenty minutes in three times, and I'm like, like, the original dude, No, the Dune from like twenty twenty Okay, And I find myself scrolling on my phone. I'm on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, and I'm like, yo, why can't I focus?
Speaker 1: You gotta guess, I guess you've gotta be really into Dune.
Speaker 3: Not from me, but Doune two is a big deal, made a ton of money in the box office, and they were giving away promotional popcorn buckets.
Speaker 1: They look pretty cool.
Speaker 3: It so it looks like, honestly looks like something you would stick your junkin.
Speaker 1: One of those man bunghole bunghole it does.
Speaker 2: It looks like a sex toy, and that's part of the reason it's gone viral. Yeah, this looks like a sex toy that.
Speaker 1: Could hurt you. Will you stick? You're junking thatt what?
Speaker 2: Ugh. It's also gone viral because people are selling it on eBay for like one hundred and fifty bucks right now.
Speaker 1: Four one hundred and twenty bucks like this. Yeah, look at this ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So some promotional items hit some don't, and we thought of some of the ones in the world are sports that really hit home. Now this is before my time, because you know, you're an old guy and I'm so young.
Speaker 2: No in your yeah classic clip, it's after Reggie became mister October nineteen seventy eight Opening Day. If you're a Yankees fan, you see this often. Michael Ka loves to talk about how good the Reggie bar really was. He was there and it was peanuts and caramel. But what happened was mister October Reggie, Reggie, Reggie Jackson hits a home run Opening Day when they gave out Reggie Bars to all the fans and immediately they start throwing them all over the field. They have to stop the game. People have to go out pick them all up. But it was a famous, famous clip where the Reggie bar. Although I had successful run and apparently it was really tasty, it was sort of a failure to throw him, to give him out for the fans to throw out onto the field a super.
Speaker 1: Cho covering Reggie. The candy then named after me Freggie. He changed pretty good.
Speaker 2: Gee, but not meant to be thrown on the field in a candy bar blizzard, as they called it in the headlines. And that makes me think of when I was personally at there in seventy was before I was born.
Speaker 3: I think of Reggie Jackson. I think of him as an angel trying to kill the queen.
Speaker 1: Memory.
Speaker 2: I think it was a cover up, Yeah, but it makes me think of one back in ninety nine. Now, this is something I was a part of. I was working in terrestrial radio K Rock, New York, and we had our dysfunctional family picnic, our big summer concert.
Speaker 1: What you bring watermelon?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was Jones Beach in New York concert Venue. It's a great place to watch the show. And someone from our marketing department, let's just say something came up with the bright idea to hand out glowsticks for the event. The second rage hit the stage, rageings Machine. Everybody was so intense and full of fury and fire on this hot summer day. Everybody took their glow sticks and.
Speaker 1: Just started throwing them all around.
Speaker 2: So as the nighttime hit, you just see people getting pelted in the face. Come like you were launching glowsticks onto the stage. Just the terrible people. People were getting hit in the nose and the eyes. Again, just people swinging them around. The glow sticks became a weapon throughout that night.
Speaker 3: So not a great aa D of the day when they would give out mini bats and they're like bad, idea, now there's something else.
Speaker 1: People were thrown around.
Speaker 3: But first you and I always references because I remember feeling so bad for the guy. We all remember baseball player Je Can too, right, Yeah, he was about the local forever or hey Can too. Not to sound like a dick. He didn't have the best skin. He had, you know, acne and those pock marks, and I remember him being upset. And at the time when he was on the Florida Marlins, they did a bobblehead, but the bobblehead had pimples on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, instead of like making the biblehead look better maybe than he does. I mean, did you really have to include that random detail? The fun fact the old presidents like before cameras, they'd be like, yeah, make my nose better, Yeah, in his better by the way, in his defense, they could have made the bobblehead look like Jorge Cant minus the acne scars.
Speaker 1: Right, So they really made it bad.
Speaker 2: It's it's so bad that we couldn't even find an image of it online because he probably had the internet. Why he was embarrassed so and look, I remember thinking, yeah, that was bad.
Speaker 1: They did him dirty with that.
Speaker 3: If you have one of these, it might be the ultimate collectors out of it, because spot couldn't find an image on it.
Speaker 1: A bad promotional Yeah, but I remember that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they get him dirty, but talking about throwing things on the field and like stupid shitty promotional ideas they had. If they made a Rich Davis bobblehead and they included his weak ass hairline like caldn't they make it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, man, let this hair. They had to do away with this this year.
Speaker 3: They said, sorry, Philadelphia fans, you can only blame yourself they had to stop doing dollar hot dog night because what do you think is gonna happen? When you say hot dogs are only a dollar?
Speaker 1: People start throwing dogs around.
Speaker 3: Food fight, food fight, literally the outfield hot dogs everywhere.
Speaker 2: Speaking of food fights, you know what kids are doing nowadays at high school lunch. I'm so mad I didn't think of it. You know what the carrot launcher is. I'm sorry, carrot launch. The carrot launcher. It's how kids start food fights nowadays. The carrot launcher. They take the ziploc bag and they inflate it so there's air in it, and they put a carrot on there.
Speaker 1: The carrot goes flying.
Speaker 2: Food five hot dogs are flying as a result.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, I like it. Something else you could throw onto this. Joe Mauer recently inducted into the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: All Hitting Catcher.
Speaker 3: No, it does not ball in the Hall of Fame. What his sideburns? The Twins did a Joe Mauer sideburn night.
Speaker 1: The how stupid that looks?
Speaker 2: That is just so dumb, it really is, you know, but it is kind of funny. Yeah, you see these kids with the sideburns. It's like Yankees doing Mustache Night for Nestor Cortez or something like that, and one's rocking the little kids rocking mustachios. But yeah, the sideburn night hilarious but dumb. And that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: August ten, twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Worst promotional giveaway yet never forget. Yeah, you know somebody still has that, hoping that it's worth something.
Speaker 1: Scott does a question. Yeah he is. He's like, I'm still holding up to these bad.
Speaker 3: Boy on his mantle by Joe Mauer side Joe Mauer Sideburn collection now American or a Joe Mauer sideburn. Let me take you back to the nineties out here in Los Angeles. We weren't here yet. Yeah, you were living on the East Coast. The Dodgers decided to You would think by the nineties this would have been worked out. Like bad idea. They did Baseball Night at Dodger Stadium. Tommy Lasorda gets in a fight with the umpire. He gets thrown out.
Speaker 1: To back up.
Speaker 3: Lasorda, the fans like yeah, and they all start throwing the baseballs.
Speaker 1: On the field.
Speaker 2: Well, no one could have predicted that, right, Oh, you don't want to get rid of your baseball, But when sort of gets.
Speaker 1: Thrown out quick talks with Tommy. It makes sense for the players in the game delayed a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Then in the bottom of eight, two one cards, Eric Carroll strikes out looking at it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm wondering if now that's why.
Speaker 2: It's probably budget reason obviously, but you know when they say first fourteen to fifteen thousand in gets X, Y, and Z, Yeah, maybe that's why because they're like, yeah, we don't want to deal with these hassles anymore, so you'll only give it to like the first ten thousand people or something like that. But what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, your baseball season were well, like a week away. You know, it was a bummer from Mets fans last year. Edwin Diaz everything, No, you're right, you get ended there. Everything, everything was a bummer. No, Edwin Diaz got hurt in the World Baseball Classic. And that's like the Mets identity the year before, remember Timmy Trumpets and like Edwin Diaz with that awesome entrance out of the bullpens.
Speaker 2: Didn't you get that Edwin Diaz like Vuvuzela on promotional.
Speaker 3: It was halfway through the year when the Mets sucked and Edwin Diaz had him played all year because of the injury, and they had like Timmy Trumpet's bobblehead night with the Trumpet, and it's like, maybe you should.
Speaker 2: Have canned that one until the next year. Save those bad boys, Save the inventor.
Speaker 3: By the way, have you seen he's made his first entrance to Timmy Trumpets again.
Speaker 1: I must have missed that.
Speaker 3: I know it's spring training, but he struck out the side three strikeouts and it was like, Edwin Diaz back, sweet.
Speaker 2: I give you a little five bron Yeah, but hey, get excited for baseball. And I want to know your thoughts on this cover up? Are you buying into this old tawny story? Is the interpreter of the fall guy? What's your thoughts on this? Are you buying into our theory?
Speaker 1: Coward? It is? So let us know at.
Speaker 2: Covino and Rich on social media and if you have any other worst promo giveaways, maybe you have one, share it.
Speaker 1: We'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Until then, Arima, there you baby, see you in the over Promised land.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, Timmy Trumpets.