Speaker 1: Today's episode contains no spoilers, but news from the latest Nintendo Direct event. Oh name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to Extra Vision of the podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture. Coming from My our podcast where we're bringing you three episodes a week every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Today's episode what do We Do in Rosie?
Speaker 2: It is a cheat code episode. We are reacting to Wednesday's Nintendo Direct and the unveiling of the Switch to. Me and Carmen have been waiting for it desperately as course Switch players, and it is here. If you want to join in the new book Club. If you feel like it's been too much of a heavy lift, you haven't had a chance yet. We're just doing a single issue Thunderbolts Issue one, Mark Bagley cut Buciac. It's got a shocking twist. People in Discord are already talking about it. Read it on Marvel Unlimited, read it at your favorite comic shop, get it from the library, enjoy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's bring in Aboo. Carmen and Aaron are super producers to talk Nintendo Direct a boo, I'm gonna throw it over to you for our tex specs and our launch date.
Speaker 3: So let's start with a launch date June fifth. That's like two months a week from when this gut announced. Wow, way sooner than I expected. I texted the producers yesterday and said, my money was on November no, June fifth, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a holiday. I thought it was going to be a holiday released too.
Speaker 4: It's switched to summer. No more browns, Yes, switch to summer.
Speaker 5: Okay, how much is it going to cost?
Speaker 2: The boo, because it's kind of expensive.
Speaker 3: It is expensive. It's not going to be a cheap console. The console, the base console is going to cost four hundred and fifty dollars. There's also going to be a five hundred dollars bundle that comes with Mario cart World, which also got announced. That's that's pre teriff price, right or we taken the terriff in.
Speaker 2: I think this is pre tariffs. So this could all change after this afternoon of Liberation Day. It is being cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we call it switch to launch day.
Speaker 3: And for what it's worth, this is Nintendo's most expensive launch price for a console for a new console. For context, like the original Switch launched in twenty seventeen at three hundred dollars, and the other popular handheld console at the moment, the Steam Deck. You can get a two hundred fifty six model gigabyte model for four hundred dollars, so this tops both of those.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what do we get for the four hundred and fifty dollars? What are the specs? What are they promising us?
Speaker 3: Let's run through the specs real quick. Here's what gets bumped up from your base Nintendo Switch one console. The Switch to has a larger green seven point nine inches.
Speaker 5: For same thickness though yeah, same thingness.
Speaker 3: Larger screen. The screen is LCD, it has HDR support, and it can do ten eighty p up to one hundred and twenty frames per second, which I was oppressed to see. Yeah, there's also a new dock that comes with a switch To. This dock has a built in fan to help with cooling.
Speaker 5: Looks much sturdier if you think of like the original Nintendo Switch doc it is thin, it's like a paper wing. And this one, Yeah, this one will have some heft to it.
Speaker 3: It will probably because of the fan. Yeah, and when this switch to is docked, it will actually be able to output up to four k sixty frames per second.
Speaker 4: Oh amazing, happy to hear that.
Speaker 5: Do we believe that? Do we do?
Speaker 3: We believe? I don't believe that at all.
Speaker 2: No, present was so laggy.
Speaker 3: I trust that.
Speaker 2: No, But you know what, I would love to see it.
Speaker 3: I heavy emphasis on up to up to sixty. Yeah. The switch to also comes with two hundred and fifty six gigabits of internal storage. That's a pretty big bump up from the Switch one. It can also be expanded with a micro st Express card, which is not the same micro ESTI card that currently works in your Switch one, so you have to get a new card. That's annoying, which is kind of annoying.
Speaker 5: All right, For the next part, I want to ask everyone how you typically play switch Are you typically playing it docked? Are you playing it handheld? Or are you playing it on the table propped up on its own with the joy cons or a pro controller while you're playing I play it handheld.
Speaker 2: I play it handheld or attached to the TV, depending on what game. Like if I'm playing Zelda, I play it on the TV. If I'm playing like Good pizza, great pizza.
Speaker 4: I play it handheld.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certain games I might play on the TV, but listen, you don't. Nobody engages with Nintendo because of the grass quality, and putting it on my TV only underlines the gap between Nintendo and other systems. I prefer to play handheld.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Same.
Speaker 5: So the reason I ask is this one has two USB seaports, one on top and one on bottom. One of the complaints with the original switch, the USB sport is only on the bottom, which means if you have it sitting on the table, it can't be charging. The nice thing now is there's a port on top and bottom, so even if you are like no one in this group chat and you decide you want to prop the switch up on the table, you can still be charging it from the top.
Speaker 4: That is play.
Speaker 2: I do sometimes play that way if i'm playing, if I like, take it with me somewhere, like I'm in the advert for the original switch one which we all ragged on, but it actually was exactly how I sometimes play it. I will take it out like that and play it like play Mario Call if I take it with me somewhere. So yeah, I think that's a good I think It's a good thing to happen.
Speaker 3: Even if you're handheld though, Like having a cable like on the bottom is like clunky and weird, even if you're like holding it hitd Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hate the way it has to go and it's chunky too, So yes, I like this.
Speaker 5: Obviously, it does need at least one port on the bottom because that's how it connects to the dock, so that will never go away as long as we have this basic iteration of what the switch looks like or the switch to. But I love that there's a top USB port now. Next up, the switch too has a built in microphone, which we saw used in a number of things when they presented game chat, which we will get to in a little bit. There will also be a new pro controller with back buttons. I think they called it. How much this one?
Speaker 3: Ye eighty hole dollars eight dollars.
Speaker 2: They really want us to be pro gaming on this thing, and I'm like, guys, you can't eve a Twitch stream easily from the switch. Let's chill out on this now.
Speaker 5: Speaking of price a boot, let's talk about the games for switch to and what their price is looking like.
Speaker 3: It looking like, Yeah, not confirmed yet, but rumor has it that switch to games are going to be in the ballpark of eighty dollars, which is ten whole dollars than the current baseline for most modern consoles at seventy If you look at the official Nintendo website. Insider Gaming reported that, for example, there are some games listed at eighty, but also other games listed at seventy. So this seems to be something they're kind of testing the market out with, probably gauging listener response. Here's a listener response for me. I'm the listener. I'm not fucking buying games at eighty dollars.
Speaker 2: Correct, it will still happen for me. I'm a cheap person, you know. I hope that they have a hope that they keep the digital coupon that they have now where you can buy like pay one hundred bucks and you can buy two things for fifty dollars digitally, because also as well, you want me to play by a digital game at eighty dollars?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 3: I can't let Aaron borrow it or something?
Speaker 2: What are you ony, Aaron, by the way, getting.
Speaker 3: To borrow it? He's like, fuck you, you.
Speaker 4: Can Aaron as your family on the switch on the line, but it has to be family.
Speaker 2: I do like it because I do have a Switch family account that a lot of my friends are on. Also, the thing about this that's so funny is like the way I buy most of my games is I just go on the Switch sale on the Digital Store, and I find so many great games that way. That's how I got really into Dragon Ball Fighters with a Z Yeah and discovered that that was like the ultimate good Buttom bashing game. It's so easy if you're a Buttom basher. And that was like, I got it for like five bucks when the package I originally got was like ninety dollars because it was the bundle with everything included. I'll be waiting for the sales.
Speaker 5: Okay, but here this is the first of multiple times when a boom and I will disagree. A boom my reaction to you saying you're not going to spend seventy or eighty dollars on a game? Okay? Sure, Like, what are you gonna do play a new Zelda game. You're gonna wait six months? Nintendo Games famous, do not go on huge discount. You're gonna wait. The problem that here's.
Speaker 1: The thing that's seventy eighty dollars. It doesn't bother me that much. Here's how Nintendo really gets you. It's when you buy non Nintendo games that you have on other systems because you want the You want to have them on the switch for the convenience and the travel effect like this. You don't buy the switch to play name your other game and name your non stitch. You buy it because you want Mario Car, because you want Mario World, because you want all of those titles. You want to you want to sell the games.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: It's when you start going, you know what, I'm about to get on a plane.
Speaker 5: I would really like to let's play again.
Speaker 3: I would really like to.
Speaker 1: Have Skyrim for the seventh time. That's when you really start getting to me. It's like eighty dollars for the first run Nintendo titles. It sucks, but.
Speaker 5: Fine, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the fact that I am starting Valley on it along with you know, nine other consoles.
Speaker 4: That it's really starts to get insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, let's talk about some of the features that's moving on from hardware inspecs we're getting. We mentioned game chat earlier, but I guess basically Nintendo is adding their own version of Discord and voice chat into Bacon into the Switch too. You do need to be a Nintendo Online member to access this feature, although they're going to be beta running it for like a year for free to kind of get people on board.
Speaker 5: This and so game chat will allow you. They showed it in the direct video, four people playing Mario Kart with on the bottom of the screen all four of their images. They're chatting with each other.
Speaker 4: Like, oh way, you have your camera power.
Speaker 5: Grind along the wall here right, and you have your video image. And then later on they showed another installment of it with Mario Party Jamboree, where the characters or the players faces are recognized by the camera and then sort of inserted into elements of Mario Party like in small ways not.
Speaker 2: Which is also hilarious because like they used to do that on the Wii, where it was just like your shitty photo was like you got a Mario, you got like a mushroom head and you're playing Mario Party. So I kind of love how like old this is like I do love the Nintendo. Even when they launched the Switch, we were all like, wow, this is not gonna last. It is like so far behind what everyone else is doing, but they're kind of keeping that tradition up. And you know what, the Switch is like one of the most successful consoles of all time, So you know what, do something else that's ten years behind on software? Why not? Like maybe this will introduce a whole new generation. I mean, I talk about this a lot on the pod, but I do have the Nintendo Online membership. I do have the family account, and me and my nephew play the shared like online Super Nintendo and Nintendo games so much more than anything else. Like he loves to go on there and play Kirby's dream World or like a side scrolling beat him up or whatever, and just like we FaceTime each other and talk. So I would say, if the camera works, if I want to pay fifty dollars for a camera, which I already need to buy a camera for podcasting, so I probably will not buy that fifty dollars camera like I but I'm sure that that would actually as someone who plays with a kid regularly, that would mean we wouldn't have to FaceTime. Yeah, So I think that there is like families who are probably immediately just gonna tap into this and not think, oh it's you know, I could be doing this on discorder. Oh, I could be doing it somewhere else. They're gonna think, oh, this is a way to do it with nothing else easier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the next feature is the mouse em of the joy Con step Carmen, you take the floor. You are are very dismissive of this idea.
Speaker 4: I don't, I don't understand it. I think it's gonna end up like the new IR camera because remember, you know, the the the first Switch had the IR camera which never really got used. And I'm just trying to think of a practical way to implement this. So I'm either playing the Switch on my couch, either in handheld mode or on the TV. I'm playing in my bed before I go to bed or when I wake up, or I'm playing in a chair or something like that. I don't always have like a table in front of me. Yeah, so where the hell am I gonna, you know, put the mouse down and start using that? And so I am a little bit skeptical.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting, and it's you know, as a way to try and build some authenticity with like hardcore FPS gamers for Metroid Prime and yeah whatever like whatever kind of like multiplayer element they might be going for, and certainly I think for you know, the continued access to the Fortnite ecosystem. It's interesting, but I but I'm very wait and see on this again. This feels like not why you have Nintendo. If I wanted to do this, I go anywhere else.
Speaker 4: And also the joy Con is like kind of skinny, so holding that in your hand like.
Speaker 3: Er, that's just like this is.
Speaker 2: Nintendo has been doing a lot of funny hardware announcements recently Alarmed Camera. So do you think, yes, do you think this is a way that I believe that's the official name right the Nintendo, But like, do you think this is just the way for them? Do they want to sell like an external mouse because they want people to get used to using it with like, oh, this isn't actually enjoyable. It would be better if I could just plug a mouse in.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I want to try this pro.
Speaker 2: It feels like it's some kind of hardware sale to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could see that. I could see that they haven't announced anything like that, yeah, because they do have all the accessories lists to it. But I could totally see them being like and here's the switch mouse pro.
Speaker 5: Well as as someone who had the super Nintendo Super Scope. I have to say Nintendo never misses with a gimmicky item, but.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll see. But if there was a game that you wanted to try, look at how good this transition was. If there was a game you wanted to try someone else had and you didn't have, like maybe this Rocket League Roller Derby game, Nintendo is introducing.
Speaker 4: Game Shrag and Drive by the way Dragon Drive.
Speaker 5: Yes, game share this means if four people somehow all have switched to but only one of them has Mario Kart, all four of you can play as long as you're sitting next to each other on like Local Basic. You share a QR code or something.
Speaker 3: They used to have.
Speaker 2: They used to have that on certain things on the DS, where like you could jump into other people's games and occasionally play, but it's never been something way you can do this. I think this is really smart, especially with eighty dollar games. Obviously, we're just all gonna have to like travel to New York and play with a boo every time he wants to play like game, that's just gonna be us. But I think this is the biggest announcement ironic.
Speaker 1: It's a huge announcement, and it's I think it's really it's a smart strategy. I mean, it's the drug dealer strategy, right, you give them one for free. There's no world in which if you don't own Mario Kart and you have a great time playing it with your friend who do own it, that you're not gonna think. I would love to buy Mario Kart as soon as I actually, And so this is smart because you're basically cultivating a future purchase of whatever game allows this.
Speaker 5: It's like the version of having a demo of the game is just how fun.
Speaker 3: This is with your friend?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You better?
Speaker 5: Yes, all right, speaking of we just talked about it, let's talk about Mario Kart World. This was the open Nintendo Direct. It is, in essence like kind of an open world racing game. Yeah, an entire map that, like Grand Prix, you basically drive from one end of the map to the other. They showcased the Grand Prix I think also now has twenty four total racers. There's a new mode where you have checkpoints and if you don't get in the top sixteen, top eight at each checkpoint, you just get knocked out. This looks very fun.
Speaker 3: This looks you can play.
Speaker 5: As the cow, which, yeah, I'm not going to spend eighty dollars to play. Oh wait, you can play as the cow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, game share with me one time and then I'm going to be a sucker and pay eighty books for it.
Speaker 2: Also like this, this will be the bundle that's available on day one, which is why all bus have been playing Mario Car eight for five years because that was the bundle. So yeah, I mean, we're all going to play this. It looks great. I want to know how open world it is. I think promising something is open world is always dangerous because then people immediately want to go what.
Speaker 5: Was it that open world break in?
Speaker 3: But looks fun.
Speaker 2: I would play, and I think this is really smart.
Speaker 5: The next game they announced was Nintendo switch To Welcome Tour. This is like a user manual for your Switch Slash, also a museum exhibit where you basically like learn about the switch to.
Speaker 4: This one was wild to me, but it's not free, correct, it's.
Speaker 3: Not crazy with your four hundred and fifty dollars console.
Speaker 4: I am not buying that crazy.
Speaker 3: You got to buy the book separately.
Speaker 4: That's going to be very quickly and I'm going to buy this. There's actually very little that I'm not going to buy that announced today.
Speaker 3: I am the time.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of a sucker. Yeah, I'm a sorrier.
Speaker 5: Moving on, moving on from you know, Nintendo User Manual, we have Dragon Drive, which is the Rocket League gest game that that we briefly mentioned. Next up, the first like kind of big name thing they talked about after Mario Kart is High Real Warriors Age of an years. Carmen, when you and I were texting about this, you immediately went off on this, like in a good way, not yeah, go ahead, Oh yeah, No.
Speaker 4: I knew immediately, you know, when they were teasing it, I was like, oh, this is a new because the Coe techmo. I was like, oh, that's a nude Highro Warriors game. I loved the first Highro Warriors game. I think it was called like Age of No Yeah, I think it was the Age of Calamity. Great games. It's if you like Dynasty Warriors, you know you would love these games. It's like a real fun, like quick hack and slash sort of battlefield game, and with the Tiers of the Kingdom stuff added to it, which I think is just going to be so much fun and playing. I think you can play with some of the Zoni characters. And there were some really interesting levels they were teasing in that so and it comes out in winter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they showed fighting a lionel. They were fighting the big frog thing. I mean, like lots of the days. Yeah. Next up we have Kirby Air Riders, a sequel to the I think it's twenty year old game Kirby Air Rider. We see Kirby in the cinematic on his star and then the star is not fast enough and it turns into a rocket ship with you know, jets and boom. We are in now, Carmen, you again had some information on this. We're gonna save that for a bit in the end when we talk about some more games. But we will come back to Kirby Air Riders. But then what next one is one that I am very excited about. When we were briefly mentioning what games do we think they're going to launch with, you know, exeld the Boom. I am a huge Donkey Kong fan, and I said there was going to be a Donkey Kong country game. Well maybe not. D don't Pong love us?
Speaker 2: So I'm very excited about this. Dun't Kong Country was one of the like seminal games.
Speaker 5: So the new game is called Donkey Kong Bonanza Banza. Get it bonanza a boo. That's ten dollars extra for the pun in the name if you're ready.
Speaker 2: And everyone's spelling it wrong like it's bonanza. But guys, it's a bananza like a banana.
Speaker 4: Right exactly.
Speaker 5: And so this game features almost a fully destructible environment. You are digging. You are just going hulk mode as you break up a mountain and you break up boxes, and uh, you are instructive kind of digging. It looks very interesting. There's a mix of three D and two D zones. I think it looks great. Nintendo Switch one games will be getting some upgrades, so they're a number that they pointed out. The first one is Super Mario Party Jamboerrie we mentioned it earlier. We also have switched to upgrades of Breath of the Wild and Tears. So the Kingdom Metroid Prime for Beyond will come out first on Switch one and also have a switch to upgrade. Yeah, and uh, I don't think anyone cares about this game, but Pokemon legends Za.
Speaker 2: This is like the one where all the Pokemons are pizzas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, good Pia.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Okay, can I ask you? Can I ask you guys a question as a person. So this just means like, if you already own Breath of the Wild, you can put it in your switch to and it will immediately be you have to buy it.
Speaker 5: You have to buy an up you have to buy a grade.
Speaker 2: Scandalous to me. I'm like, I'm sorry if they just make it backwards compatible like.
Speaker 3: Grada with no pricing announced at all.
Speaker 4: Now it is, it is still backwards compatible. But if you want to switch to.
Speaker 5: Okay have to. You can still play your old Okay on. But if you want the addition of the game chat and the video elements added in to Mario Party Jam three.
Speaker 3: Or like the better graphics and the I.
Speaker 2: W also hope without any announcements, and because I am a switch online Superstan, I will hope that this is some kind of switch Probably it goes from being eighty dollars a year to one hundred and fifty dollars a year, and maybe this upgrading is upscaling, is like including it that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be smart to roll it into the membership.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For context, for example, like Xbox is quite lenient about their upgrades, Like if you have an Xbox Series S and you get an x you just get when you buy a game, you have both versions, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, congratulate a budget version. It's just no good games because it's and it takes whatever version.
Speaker 3: I would argue that's false. On PlayStation, they have an upgrade model basically what Nintendo is doing here, and PlayStation upgrades from like if you have a PS four version and you want the PS five version, usually costs like ten bucks. Oh okay, we'll see how Nintendo price is it? Yeah, hopefully not more than ten dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, another thing that I'm really excited about is, uh the GameCube we all guess is probably gonna happen coming to Nintendo Switch online. I play those emulators a lot. It's very smart of them to put them on there easily, because otherwise people are just going to play them on like a Raspberry Pie or whatever.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think that is cool, and I really can launch titles with that too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was happy to see Pokemon Colisseum on there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that you put We're that much closer to a WE Virtual console on the switch too. I think that is definitely going to happen.
Speaker 4: Which makes me feel so old y'all to think about I've been playing Nintendo for that long that I'm about to get the WE virtual console on.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's quiet, Carbon both talk about you're talking about I'm sorry I had the original.
Speaker 2: Game comments like look, I must sweep baby.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, we're gonna throw to some of our sponsors, and when we come back, we will be discussing the third party games, and then we're going to talk about what s which a Nintendo director didn't tell us.
Speaker 2: M Common, We're.
Speaker 4: Back, Yes, we're back, Hi hi di eva.
Speaker 2: What the what are the third party games beget in Common?
Speaker 4: Oh? My gosh, so Cyberpunk Split Fiction briefing, uh yaquiza the director's cut.
Speaker 2: Oh, everyone loves those games Big and Discus.
Speaker 5: So these are yeah, these are same day launches from third party to developers. Uh So, let's get into some of the third party games that will launch. Ay, yeah, a little bit. We have some some very big name properties here, street Fighter six, We've got a Hitman World of Assassination signature edition. We've got Aboo's favorite favorite game, Star Wars Outlaws. We have Carmen's favorite four games EA Sports, FC, Madden, NFL, W NBA two K but okay, enough beating around the bush. Two games that we'll be coming to switch to. We have Hades two and we have elden Ring Tarnish edition.
Speaker 2: That is great ring on my switch. Can I just say, also furthering the unpopular online theory that alden Ring is a cozy game on the switch, I am very excited for all of you to play the cozy game that is elden Ring, and we will get more into some cozy.
Speaker 3: Games in bed before going to sleep. Yeah, get your heart rate above one, make a little.
Speaker 2: Make a little character, you know, go do some docs. Go to it.
Speaker 5: There's a streamer who I've seen some videos of and she wears a heart rate monitor while she plays games. She like, mostly does horror games, so I don't watch that. But the other set of games she plays is from soft Games, so she'll like play Dark Souls three and like see how her heart gets while playing the bosses elden Ring. I've talked about it on this show many times. I love it. It consumed my life. The month that came out, and then the DLC came out, and that consumed my life. Hades two, I don't want to gloss over that. The first one was one of my favorite games ever. Maybe I loved it. It is such a perfect roguelike game.
Speaker 3: Aboo.
Speaker 5: I know you have played or watched Haities two.
Speaker 3: I've been playing it. I've been playing a ton on steam Deck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have not yet have made it because I don't have Steam and I don't have a Steam Deck. Steam Deck is too expensive. I'm not willing to put up the money for that. So I can't wait to drop eighty dollars on Hades two when it comes out on this hundred dollars console. But we also got some new titles, things that have not been released anywhere else, and untitled James Bond Project Double seven.
Speaker 2: Now I'm like, I'm confused, I'm interested. I'm interested.
Speaker 5: Obviously. If you're as old as Rosie and I, you have fond memories of Golden Eye, the original James Bond Nintendo Marriage, which was beautiful memory. Okay, moving on, my ears don't hear above a certain frequency that I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Aram was the same.
Speaker 2: I didn't know a was old like me.
Speaker 5: Now I know, I see we also have this is I think enormous Hollow Nights Elks Song. Yes, actually a big deal is coming out on Nintendo Switch to a boo. How excited are you?
Speaker 3: I think potentially enormous If this is true, we.
Speaker 2: Have actually comes out.
Speaker 3: We have been promised Silk Song every year for like the past five years.
Speaker 5: I am funny, like post on Reddit about video games is always like, oh is this Silk Song? Is this Bloodborn too? And now maybe we have one?
Speaker 3: But yeah, but again it said all its stated on screen was twenty twenty five, no winterfall, summer, no like, no window of time, just a year, and that has been that happened before with Silk Song. And then I got to so I'm I'm crossing.
Speaker 2: I feel this pain. Can it really be true?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Look, if you're gonna if you're gonna make a perfect game, it's gonna take time.
Speaker 5: So yeah, Silk Song. Another cozy game. Another another sequel that's been announced, the and two. The first one is on Switch Survival Kids. I don't entirely understand what this game is about. It's kids living on an island and they're fishing and climbing and throwing to Speaking of Cozy, We've got witch.
Speaker 3: Flies. Yeah, yeah, very cool simulator.
Speaker 5: We have Witchbrook, which we talked about the news an earlier episode, but here we are. It's the switch and switch to.
Speaker 3: It's so cute.
Speaker 2: Yea and twenty five. I will be playing for Christmas.
Speaker 5: If you've decided that you've had enough Witches. You got Tomagotchi Plaza coming. I don't know anything about this game, but the fact that it's Tima Gotcha is interesting, and.
Speaker 2: Also Tama Gotchi saw having a moment. I see lots of kids with them. Now they've rebooted. They kind of tried to make them modern and you could connect it to your computer and your phone, but they're back to the old school ones, so I think they like now yeah, I think this is like a fun little experience. But the next game is the one I know being common are going.
Speaker 4: To be like, we please, We're all going to be on.
Speaker 2: Game Bloodborn too.
Speaker 5: Correct This cinematic started and I jokingly said Bloodborn too, and then Carmen was like, is this Caslvanian? I was like, oh, maybe they're like trying to do a blood Born esque Castlevan, like skinny blood in Caslvania something no, we get the quintessential from Soft voiceover something in a voice delivered like this, the blood terrifying, channeling history roll away and then the hand dripping and falling, very very from Soft and we have a brand new from Soft ip from Soft Crazy from is known for Dark Souls, Dark Souls two three, Bloodborn, Secoro, Elden Ring, Armored Cores. This is a brand new property. This is you are a vampire. It looks like yes you uh there you are called. They mentioned the Carrier of Blood. There are mounts. You can transform into a dinosaur.
Speaker 1: At some point I was like, okay, frog with huge massive.
Speaker 5: And the important important thing, Yeah, cozy game. It's a cozy game. A famous thing with from Soft games is these are solo games that you can call in other people to help you with boss fights, or you can get invaded by other people. So they're typically considered like player verse player at times, but mostly you're fighting the enemy. This game has is on from Soft's website. Is called a PVPVE multiplayer action game in which up to eight players can fight each other and fight against enemies. So eight as far as I know, in any from Soft.
Speaker 3: Out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, finally this will launch in twenty twenty six as a Nintendo Switch exclusive. And let me tell you, as soon as this went up, I went onto the firm Soft reddit. People were pissed that this would be an exclusive. So now a little back. Bloodborne is generally considered one of the greatest games ever, and especially as far as from Soft games go. It is incredible. It has horrible, scary you know, love crafty and nightmare vibes, but it is just an incredible game. And I say horrible because I don't like scary things. Bloodborne is incredible. The IP belongs to Sony, So as much as people want a Bloodborn too, from Soft cannot make it unless Sony agrees and says, yes, let's go ahead and do this. That's why there's not been a remake. There's been no sequel over the years, and nobody knows, but it is possible. From Soft was just like, we're tired of waiting to make Bloodborne too, and Nintendo's like, come make this, come.
Speaker 4: Make this, you can do it. Hit do some crazy shit, can I say? Immediately, I was hooked by this aesthetic because I thought for five seconds when I was watching this trailer, I thought, is this a Vampire Hunter?
Speaker 5: D Yeah?
Speaker 4: It get us because like, god, right, did you see the train?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was like red and like all and I and and so the aesthetics are like ooh, I just cannot wait to play this game. And I think you can make your own characters based.
Speaker 5: On I mean, if it's a from Soft game, you can sort of make your own character.
Speaker 4: But this will be my first from Soft, which.
Speaker 5: Is very exciting.
Speaker 2: I think. Also, I'm like, I am eager to see like how this really looks on the Switch too, because look, I'm I have played many games on the Switch. I was I was like playing that Terror More or Combat eleven Port that was like so ugly and bad, and this looks so intricate and fun and beautiful. I hope the Switch too has the juice, but if not, it will still be funny.
Speaker 5: Now, look the cinematic for this from Soft cinematics typically you know, some element of the trailer is game in game engine. It's not the most amazing looking cinematic you're ever gonna see from Soft. Games have never been like this is the greatest graphical achievement. No Soft.
Speaker 2: I knew they were like, but can you turn into a vampire dinosaur?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Gotta know more about that.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: Well, I just got a text from a Boo and he was like, can we stop talking about from Soft? I want to spend another twenty minutes on Survival Kids. So a Boo, the floor is yours. Let's talk about Survival No, just kidding. We're gonna go to add and we will be right back to talk about what we didn't get in Nintendo Directly and we're back. All right. Here is where we are going to point out all the things that the questions we still have because it was an hour and there was a lot they left out, So Aboo, I'm going to throw to you first and foremost. Yeah, what is your first question coming out of Nintendo Direct.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm going to continue to sound so cheap on this episode, but I'm wondering how much these upgrade packs are for the games.
Speaker 2: I think it's a reasonable question, like, especially in an inflation style time, especially the fact that we all literally, like I know, fifteen minutes away from hearing about these global tariffs or whatever. Like, I think you're asking the important questions, especially because even though in the back in the day when Super Nintendo was the king of the consoles and stuff, those games could be eighty ninety dollars. It was a different time. It's kind of switch has seemed like the more affordable option when it comes to next gen consoles. So I think you're asking the right questions and also questions that a lot of people who are watching this thinking like how am I going to pay for my groceries? How am I going to buy my fifteen dollar eggs or whatever are going to be thinking the same thing, like.
Speaker 3: Right, what or fifteen dollars? Yea egg fifteen? I mean my other question that goes hand in hand with that is how significant are these upgrades?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Because it seems to vary. We got a couple of examples in the direct today. Some are just visual upgrades. Some have like a whole other expansion pack tacked onto the switch to version that you don't get with the Switch one version. Some are just like now it supports HDR and so, and you can use the mouse in Mario Party in and out put your face off screen with the camera, But like, is the game Mario Party any different? Like what if I don't care about my face being on the screen? So like, That's my other question that kind of goes hand in hand with how expensive are the upgrade pack? Is how significant are the visual and performance and feature upgrades from Switch one to Switch too and are? And like, you know, I suppose the invisible hand of capitalism will decide like, is it worth the minimal upgrades to pay X amount of price or will it be priced different per upgrade?
Speaker 4: I don't know, you know, I'm guessing if we think about like so, for example, they're doing an upgraded version of there's gonna be a switch to version of Metroid Prime four, right, and there's gonna be a Switch one version of Metroid Prime four. And my guess is that the Switch one version will sell at the you know, average sixty dollars that it sells out right now, and that upgraded version will be like the seventy dollars that's being talked about or the eighty dollars that's being talked about. Personally, I am not really willing to pay more than ten dollars for an upgrade that is only just a graphics upscaling. I'm gonna pay maybe ten dollars for an up great if it is including like some sort of expansion, which some of the ones, Yeah, totally. Yeah, it's case by case for me for sure.
Speaker 5: Now, speaking of games that will be with Launch, like Survival Kids, boo, what's your next question?
Speaker 3: Okay, not to Uh, I'm really coming off as a hater. I want to preface all of this. I'll be getting a switch to and I'm excited to ask.
Speaker 2: For free to play Survival Kids by Extra Vision.
Speaker 3: But uh, let me ask a very boring like bordroom c suite, fucking corporate guy only cares about charts question. This direct ended on big announcements around Kirby Games and Donkey Kong Games, and of course then yeah, the from software game. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the final three things announced were those three from Soft Kirby air Riders and Donkey Kong Bonanza Bonanza, right.
Speaker 3: And you know typically with these announcements you save your big bombshells for the end. So those were our big bombshells the end. I'm kind of left with the question, does Kirby and Donkey Kong like still have the juice? Like, do these franchises still have the clout to move switch to sales to get record breaking sales for this content?
Speaker 2: I will be here to say, Donkey Kong, I believe is still sells these consoles for someone like me. I got like a we whatever the Wei version was, so they had the Donkey Kong Freeze Aaron, I'm sure you yeh on that Frozen Country or whatever it was where it was kind of a remarster levels.
Speaker 5: As the person. I've actually forgotten the name of it.
Speaker 2: But I did also buy that for the switch, right, Like I love Donkey Kong, That to me is a perennial thing that I returned to. I think Donkey Kong is higher up on the rankings than you would expect because I do think it has an almost Mario level recognition with people who've been playing games of a certain era. Now, I will say I think I think Kirby Air Riders is one of the things that Nintendo does really well. I think this is more of a meme drop game because this is something that people have talked about for a long time. They it's kind of like a beloved fan fave online as a weird game. It also came out the same year as another racing game when that when it was originally released, So I think this is more of a like, hey, we're listening to you like Wink Wink. Like Kirby air Riders, I don't think that one is meant to push the button of like Price. I think Kirby is more like that's a character that they love that is very mean and that they want people to know. Hey, we're still making stuff. You still buy Kirby toys, You buy a Kirby t shirt and target, you have a you know, I have little Kirby earrings where Kirby's holding the knife. Not official, sorry, Nintendo. But if you want to.
Speaker 4: Make some, you know, go for it.
Speaker 2: So I think that the Kirby is is less so, but I do I think Donkey Kong is higher than Kirby. I would also say, and I know you are going to power rank these. I want to say, as somebody who knows and loves some sweet gen Z babies in my life, Pickmen is much higher than.
Speaker 4: You would expect. I know, really, dude.
Speaker 2: There is a Pickmin mobile game that is essentially like Pokemon. Go Pickman Bloom and you walk and you find different pickmen you and you plant flowers. I know people who play that every single day, and it's a part of their that is a part of their walking routine. It's a part of their fitness routine, and they are not alone. So I will say I think Pickman is Actually I would say also higher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just surprised that they're not trying to pair a new console with one of their A List properties, right, I know.
Speaker 2: It's that's like animal crossing Marrio, Like.
Speaker 3: I would almost wait for this console to come out within until my next A List property was ready.
Speaker 4: Yeah, rop, I guess.
Speaker 3: It's it's why I like Switch one and uh Breadth of the Wild were the perfect pairing. Like, those two as a pair were the reason the Switch one sold. Followed that up with Mario ot to See You, follow that up with a new Smash Brothers game, New Mario Kart, Like you're like A list bangers after like banger after banger, just leaning on your A List team to like carry this switch to like record breaking sales. I'm a little skeptical that the Switch Too is going to be able to do that all right. On the back of Donkey Kong.
Speaker 5: Rosie hints it at this a boo, can you give us your Nintendo original ips?
Speaker 3: Yes? Hold on, I gotta scroll through all of your highlights and comments saying, how dare you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's just read through a booze notes and I was just suspended at every turn.
Speaker 3: Okay, here as a casual Nintendo fan, here's where I kind of see Nintendo's like main ips power ranked basically in your A list, like I said, you have your Zelda's, your Marios, you have Pokemon of course you're dropping that every year, and then you have Smash Brothers. And then I would in in the B list, I would argue something like Animal Crossing or Splatoon, like these are still moving console sales, these still have cultural.
Speaker 2: Massively popular competitive gaming, Like it's a hugely popular even if we don't see it. It's like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Not so huge in the West, but like especially like in Japan's Platoon is huge.
Speaker 2: I would put Animal Crossing a little bit higher. Just I do think it's earned its way up to almost in A because like most people know who KK Slider is now, I think so far I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah totally. I mean A and B is like pretty it's a slippery slope. You know, those could all move around.
Speaker 5: Just to recap your eight tier is Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Smash Brothers. That's right, the Tiers, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon.
Speaker 3: And then now we're getting into the C list celebs. Here we have Kirby and Metroid, which I think were in their prime twenty years awrime and have and have like slipped off of that quite a bit, you know, Like the last Kirby game that I remember loving was Kirby's epic Yarn right like Pike game. I loved it. Haven't played a Kirby game since, you know, or I haven't felt the desire to play a more recent Kurby game. And then in D list again controversial, I suppose, but like I'm putting Donkey Kong down there, like I forget Donkey Kong exists until he randomly shows up in someone else's property like a Mario movie. And then I guess I'm wrong about Pickman. I don't know any uh anyone that plays Pickman. And then star Fox, which I played so much on the Nintendo sixty four but has basically been a forgotten property since that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would, I would also like this is such a weird thing, but I will say I do know that it's massively popular with like your kind of general gamer who just has a switch because it's affordable. And Rabbits Mario Rabbits crossover games have been like massively.
Speaker 5: The first one. The second one was not as big of a success.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, okay, So there's there's my controversial Nintendo IP cheer.
Speaker 2: List for you, scandalous Donkey Donkey Kong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, justice for Metroid because I think Metroid, you know, you're hinted at not in its prime anymore, but when it was at its prime, and Metroid prime, it was a huge game for the first person shooter genre, you know, at that time. And I think, so for me, Metroid goes up to be and then I think Donkey Kong goes up to see you know, that's what everything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's tough. Nintendo has a lot of great IP and so even if you are putting something in the beads here like that is still a very strong, pretty a boo. You've got animal crossing and be Tier like everyone absolutely huge huge property like there are.
Speaker 4: And it's regional too, like I think Kirby probably an a lister in Japan, you know what I mean. And I'm just facing that off of all of the Kirby shit that I saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was said, I didn't get to go to the Kirby Cafe when I went on this eight years ago.
Speaker 5: Now, I will say I'm not going to give give my Power Ranked and Nintendo IP because I didn't prep it. I will say that don Key Kong would definitely be probably be tier at least for me, because I just think Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country two are two of the games that I consider like quintessential video games. The music, the gameplay, the entire thing, like is what I think of with video games, and that's what brought me into video gaming. So I would have it at least at a B tier, if not higher.
Speaker 4: He's getting a comeback with this new game in my opinion, because this new game feels like an odyssey to me, like a Mario odyssey. It does, you know, I will say a redesign I feel like for me, like that Deep Freeze, what Banana Freeze whatever.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 4: Tropical Freeze. Yes. I got kind of bored with like the side scrolling kind of platforming aspect of Donkey Kong because really Mario, it's like not that much different from Mario in my view. But this new twist on Donkey Kong. I think is it's his comeback era. I think, you know, and don't forget he has a he just got a theme park at Universal Studios Japan, probably coming to Universal Studios California too or wherever.
Speaker 5: That other one is a good thing to point out too. We talked about Nintendo Switch Online, where you can play old games. People are able to go back. They're able to rediscover my favorite Donkey Kong games. They're able to play Kirby game Boy games, and they can play you know, Super Metroid two like. They are able to rediscover these games, which hopefully builds a little bit of more buzz for these two launch titles. But I also just want to point out we are launching with one of Nintendo's biggest properties. We're launching with a Mario Kart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, which is their number one selling game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have a Mario Kart at launch. That's totally ne yah.
Speaker 4: And it's a new one. It's not just a re it's not a port, you know, which is what we got with the Switch because we had Mario Kart eight already on the WIU. So I'm actually hyped for Mario Kart World.
Speaker 5: I do want to say in addition to the A list tier of Nintendo ips. For me, at least is whatever the main character of the Dusk Bloods is called, because that's just gonna That's that sells it for me. Frum Soft is going to move unit. It's at least in this household.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, definitely Air. So before we wrap up, I think we got to talk about Smash Brothers, y'all, because that was a notable thing that was, you know, missing there. But if we noticed when we were watching the Kirby what is air Racers trailer, they made it a point at the end to be like and this game is directed by masha Heiro Soakarai, who is the developer of all of the previous games of Super Smash Brothers and also the guy who created Kirby. So he has been saying for a long time, and I believe since the WEU and like the three DS versions of Smash Brothers, he's like, I'm so fucking tired of making these games, and he's dedicated to making them. He makes them really great, but he's like, I just can't do it anymore. I don't have the juice. And so he has clearly moved on to Kirby Air Racers. I don't know if that means he's going to be rushing to get back in the development studio to make another Super Smash Brothers for us. So what do you guys think? Do you think that there is going to be a future for Super Smash Brothers or do you think what I what I'm what I'm envisioning for Super Smash Brothers and how I think it should be is that we just keep Ultimate and we just keep poorting and keep adding stuff to it over time. But do y'all think there's going to be a new Smash Brothers with a new developer at any time? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I personally, I think your vision is probably the most likely vision. Ultimate feels to me like the ultimate Smash brother you know, like this is Smash Brothers in its final form, you know, soccer as like this is it. I made you the game, y'all want it. It's perfect, It has every fucking character you can imagine in it, and we can continue to like, like to your point, they can always just re release it with like another stage or a missing classic stage from the previous game, bring it back and just resell it, you know. And I don't think I can't imagine what a new Smash Brothers game could do that Ultimate has not basically already achieved at this point.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I kind of agree, Aaron, what about you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that this basically the two kind of long standing properties that are multiplayer Mario Kart and Smash Brothers. I have a feeling they will lean on one or the other at different times. And obviously there are different audiences in the competitive scene. The Smash Brothers competitive world is much different than a Mario Kart world. Yeah, but I also know that every new iteration of Smash there are still people who love the old one and prefer the old one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, there are still competitions of brawl.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course. Of course. I think that it is very easy for them to continue with the lifespan of the current one, and if something fun and exciting comes up and they have an idea for a way to make the new one even better, great, they'll start working on it. But I think I was not expecting a new Smash Brothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I wasn't either.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, when I saw Kirby, for a moment, I thought, oh, this could be new Smash Brothers. Because he likes to introduce it with Kirby because he does like that character. Yeah, so I thought, ooh, could this be it? But no, I'm excited because I do think Kirby Air Racers, even though it's not like a smack, I do think. If there's anything I know about the games that this guy makes, is that it's going to have so much detail and so many little things that are added to it as like little extras, because he just loves to kind of go that and add all of those little details to the game. So yeah, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you all for joining us for our Nintendo Direct reaction. Thank you to Jason and Rosie who started off with us, but we lost them because they want to go play Donkey Kong Country, Tropic Freeze. I would have said Survival Kids, but it's not out yet, folks like, we can't do that joke yet. We'll get there. In the next few episodes of X Ray Vision, we are joined by special guest Danny Fernandez to discuss whether or not power Line is actually related to Goofy in our deep dive of the thirtieth anniversary of a Goofy movie, and then Jason and Rosie will be back to Tackle TV with Daredevil, Born Again, Last of Us, White Lotus and more. That's the episode. Thank you everyone for listening.
Speaker 1: Hi x ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.