Speaker 1: I Am all in again. Oh that's just you.
Speaker 2: I Am all in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome to another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with myself, Tara, I'm Suzanne and Owned. We are on season one, episode sixteen, Starcross, Lovers and Other Strangers, which aired on March eighth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: This is a big Dean episode.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: There was a lot going on in this episode.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of background actors in this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that whole opening scene, there's just all the stuff going on in the background, all like everybody preparing while Miss Patty was talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also that the camera I was actually like really in awe of the way that opening was up until the the theme song. That was like all one fluide like camera shot like through the whole town.
Speaker 1: It was really well done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 2: So whoever that director was shout out because it was. And also just with Miss Patty like telling her story over it all, it kind of like told the story of of the episode.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was good. The story that she told, though it contradicts the story that we get there when the Stars Hollow Museum, So who knows what the real story is.
Speaker 2: Miss Patty can do no wrong. In my eyes, It's okay, I gotta I gotta start by saying I am definitely not team Dean. And it was funny because I have a friend who just started what actually, she just finished season seven, like she just finished the whole series for the first time, and she was posting on her Instagram and she was.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm team Dean, and I was like, everyone has their opinions.
Speaker 2: And then I watched this episode right like this episode right after, and I was just like, this is why.
Speaker 1: I am not a fan of Dean.
Speaker 2: And it's because when Rory felt a certain way and couldn't say I love you, he got defensive and that bugged me. It bugged me, and you know, I think I can't remember if he said it or she said it of like, you know, my parents and this and that, and like she doesn't come from a perfect family and that word that I love.
Speaker 1: You is very hard for her.
Speaker 2: And he didn't accept that and he got mad, and I was like, I think Dean has.
Speaker 1: A lot of good moments, but for.
Speaker 2: Me, this is why I cannot say I am the biggest Dean fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I agree, this is this was her first boyfriend, it's her first relationship like that. That's a big step as a sixteen year old. It's a big step to say that to somebody. And and it you know, it's not her fault. It it caught her off guard. She was already off guard because it was like, here's this car I'm making you like it dumps her off for access a little bit, and you know, it just it just surprised her. And and you know, Dean, I'm kind of on the fence. I mean, he's sixteen also and so he didn't have the greatest reaction, but he's also not you know, an adult either, and so I think both of them kind of just reacted differently than an adult would have reacted. But I didn't think that he needed to get mad at her over it. And that was so I agree with you on that. Like it's he's like, you know, it's what did he say something like either you do or you don't, And it's like, well.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, don't get on a yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And it just I didn't think that was fair to her.
Speaker 1: No any like jumped.
Speaker 2: It's like kind of like jumped at her like it was kind of like, so you don't love me, and she's like, that's what I'm saying. I'm just not like not ready to, which you know, as as someone who loves a good romance movie or show, I gotta say I do appreciate the writing because it's very rare that you see someone stand up for like what they believe in and doesn't want to say it back because because like in a lot of I mean I guess also in life, people say it back because you were just like, oh, well they.
Speaker 1: Said it to me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I do appreciate the writing that it really showed them kind of explaining who Rory is and she's putting her foot down that she's an adult who has a mind of her own and yeah, her mom influences a lot in her life, but she still is her own person. Yeah, and I really respect Rory in that. Now, obviously it didn't work out well because at the end they broke up, but which also is messed up. And I will say I kind of laughed. What was the song playing in the in the dumpster wherever the hell they were.
Speaker 3: Oh, in the in the junk yard. It was a John Lennon.
Speaker 1: Song, got it.
Speaker 2: I was like listening to it, I was like, I don't know what song this says?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I looked it up and I forgot the title already, but it was a John Lennon song from nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 2: In my head, I was like, if my first boyfriend just took me to a random junk yard, I would literally be terrified.
Speaker 1: I would think I'm getting murdered. I mean, mind you.
Speaker 2: She trusts Dean, but I was like the way they like banned out and you just see like it's literally.
Speaker 1: Just trash, and I'm like, yeah, this is where you get murdered, right, and it's dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was.
Speaker 2: But I will say, like his gesture meant well, I don't think like he meant like ill intent and like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, trying to control her.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I mean I think I get that he was disappointed that she couldn't reciprocate that, but like, I agree with you, he didn't need to get defensive and angry about it. Like I don't know, It's just teenagers don't know how to have like a reasonable discussion yet, so you know, they're emotional and hormonal, so maybe that's why.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I will say the very last scene when she says we broke up the way it was so dark, like really it was really well done, like the way it was I don't know, it was just so dark and Laurel I is just sitting in the dark and she first of all her calling Max like the biggest eye roll of my life. I know. I just feel like she's rotating between three guys through this. I mean, she is like, it's Luke, Max, Christopher, right, and it's all within like three episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to go back and see when was the last time that we saw Max, and it was actually episode eleven Paris is Burning, So they had the kiss in the classroom, and then at the end of that episode, they were at that random coffee shop and they decided they agreed to take a break from each other. So that was the last time we saw Max.
Speaker 1: So it's been like roughly a month.
Speaker 3: Two months, Yeah, probably two if you include Christmas in that, because that was that was right after Christmas. I think, yeah, so maybe like a month. But but yeah, I mean, I guess we're supposed to think that because of all the romance in the air with the Firelight Festival and you know, the founding of the town and because she walks through the Independence Inn and it's couples everywhere, like there's people kissing and holding hands, like you can see it's supposed to be like on her mind a lot that she misses Max.
Speaker 2: But speaking of sing that scene with Chad Michael Murray and that girl making out, I was like, I would have felt so uncomfortable, like being Liza or Alexis filming because they're just like staring at him. But it made it so funny, like they're just like eating each other's.
Speaker 1: Faces on the tub and we're like, can you move out of my way?
Speaker 2: It was just like it was so like, I don't know, awkward and funny at the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was funny, And that that actress was. She was in the pilot. She was in one of the kids that stars Hollow High.
Speaker 1: Oh oh she was. She also moved over to Yeah maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe she was a brainiac too, but yeah, she was one of the girls that they were painting their nails in the classroom.
Speaker 1: She was like the first episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, oh funny, but yeah, they probably like were like oh, just come back, you know, use her again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a guess.
Speaker 2: Did you notice the boom mic that was very obvious in this ups.
Speaker 3: Yes, when she got up to call Emily.
Speaker 2: It also freaked me out because I thought something was about to hit her in the head like that.
Speaker 1: That's how like jarring that one was.
Speaker 2: But because it like she stands up and then it's fine and then the mic just drops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it like took a second.
Speaker 3: Even my husband noticed that when he's like, whoa, did you see that? I have?
Speaker 1: That was the first time.
Speaker 2: That was the first one I noticed this whole season.
Speaker 1: But it was like very jarring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and because it dipped like way into the picture. Sometimes it's just like this is a little bit of it, and this one was pretty.
Speaker 1: Again, I thought something fell from her ceiling.
Speaker 2: I was gonna hit her in her head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did notice. There was a scene when they were in the town square. The there's a blue stroller that is in a ton of episodes. It's like a light blue stroller, and somebody was pushing it with a fake baby in it.
Speaker 1: Oh, the fake baby is started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rubber baby, rubber baby. And then that same scene she's making it. I think she was making a joke. Maybe she wasn't, Maybe she was serious. She was talking about putting stars hollow on a septic system or getting getting them off the septic system to put in a sewer, and that they called back to that in the revival. There was like that's oh, like it was like a b or C story about Taylor trying to get Luke to sign off on the super installations.
Speaker 2: So all those years later, Yeah, it took for a while, like fifteen years more.
Speaker 3: So what do we think about Rachel?
Speaker 1: She kind of bugs me?
Speaker 3: You know, I liked her.
Speaker 2: I feel like, I don't think dislike her. I think there's just something that bugged me of her, just like showing up and she's like, I'm here, you know what.
Speaker 1: I think that's what bugged me.
Speaker 3: I did think it was rather presumptuous for her to just show up randomly and expect that Luke would take her back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, roll out the red carpet, Like what Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did? I do agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I just I don't know it was I understand the character and wanting her to have this confidence about her and this and that, but I like, I don't know, I just as much as all these guys are getting in the way of Luke. I'm like, I don't need a girl in the way of Laura. Yeah, but you know, I do think it's a here's a you know, taste of your own medicine to Laura I because Laura I has no issues with in the previous episode, just like being with Christopher and Luke's waiting and she didn't show up, and then there's Max and Luke's always just on the sidelines.
Speaker 1: So it was kind of a take that Laura I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think in the overall story, I think they could have played that out even longer, like they because Rachel's for she's here for a couple episodes. I think she leaves at the end of season one. But I enjoyed that, like, you know, because Luke is entitled to be happy too, and kind of to go with what you're saying, like it was, it was kind of fun to see him finally have someone else other than Laura I to fill on. So I think that could have been, you know, kind of an interesting dynamic that they could have stretched out even longer. But I liked her. I thought she had a cute chemistry with Luke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting you say that, because it just made me think, like, up until now, Luke hasn't had anyone, right, Like it's just Luke, and it's it's this is the beginning of seeing a dynamic of Luke with someone else, because then I think, after this, we get Jess is the next one that comes in?
Speaker 1: And then when does his sister come in?
Speaker 2: Do we know? Like that's a couple of seasons away, that's after Jess leaves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jess comes in season two. Yeah, I think I think we don't Liz until like four three, three or four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's way after.
Speaker 2: But it just you saying that now made me realize, like this was the first of someone coming into Luke's life. That kind of puts Lorelai on pause, and it's going to be a common thing obviously throughout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then what was that?
Speaker 2: What was what was the girlfriend's name who we married for like one day?
Speaker 1: Oh, Nicole, Nicole? When does the cool come into the mix?
Speaker 3: Nicole comes? I think I want to say she's like season three, two three, I can't remember. It's when Taylor's remodeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the boat well that they went on a boating trip, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, Nicole's season three, Nicole season three, liveses season four.
Speaker 2: So he gets someone every season. We have Rachel season one, we have just season two, Nicole season three, season four. They gotta keep him, yeah, I mean they gotta keep the story going. I guess, right, yeah, yeah, the dynamic between them.
Speaker 3: And then that guy that was at dinner at Richard and Emily's house, Chase Bradford.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Also, Laurel's room is kind of creepy with all those dolls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a Duran durand poster I noticed, or was that.
Speaker 1: In the Yeah, no, yeah it was. It was in this one.
Speaker 2: It was like full display, and then the dollhouse was there, but there were just dolls.
Speaker 1: I think were there more dolls on display in this episode than the last episode.
Speaker 3: I think there were. I don't remember there being so many.
Speaker 1: It was a bit jarring.
Speaker 3: It was because it doesn't seem like larealized personality at all to have so many dolls.
Speaker 2: No, even as a kid, she seems like a kid that would rip the dolls heads off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, they wouldn't be intact all these years later, But I mean I did like that moment between Lorale and Richard where she's like I also just like she was sash like, please don't make me.
Speaker 1: He's boring, and it.
Speaker 2: Was like so honest, and it was just like a good moment of like she doesn't It's not like she doesn't want to like engage, it's like he's literally.
Speaker 1: So boring she can't well.
Speaker 3: And I love that her default was to climb out the window, like she could have gone out the back door or something like that.
Speaker 1: The house is so giant, they're probably like six side doors.
Speaker 3: She just automatically was like, Okay, this is what I do in this house. I climb out the window.
Speaker 2: Also, like what I would love to know what it looks like outside that window, Like is there a ladder? Is she like hanging from a branch? Like how it's a second story? Like how she has down in a skirt? Yeah, in a skirt, And that ledge of that balcony is like pretty high. Yeah, it wasn't like just a window like you know like in some of these Yeah, you see like it's just like a.
Speaker 1: Little step down. This is like a whole edge.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be that easy to climb over. It was like a full like wall.
Speaker 1: But like you said, couldn't she leave from the back door just to start her car? Anyway, they're gonna hear it.
Speaker 2: So oh, but the end of this episode made me. The first thing I thought of when she said I broke up. I was like, it's time to wallows.
Speaker 3: I think that's our that's gonna We're gonna walk next episode, right, Yeah, well not yet.
Speaker 1: She's gonna force it a wall. She's not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, that's right. Talking about breaking up they I'm always curious because they didn't show us what happened between when they left the junk yard and when Rory walks in and says we broke up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always want to know what happened in between there, like did they did he actually break up with her? Or is she just assuming? You know what I mean? Like, I wonder what they talked about on the way home. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's definitely a missing piece, which I guess is up for interpretation. But part of me wants to say, there's a scene coming up in I don't know a couple episodes where they I think Lorelai says, like what happens and I think they talk about it. I don't remember what the conversation was, and I don't know if I'm making that up, but I feel like there is a conversation coming.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, it's Dean that tells Laurelai what happened. Lorelai goes and kills it Dean in the in.
Speaker 1: The grocery store, yes, okay.
Speaker 3: And he's like, all I did was say I love you. And then Laurela I's like, what you said. I Like that's when she realizes what happened between them. But because well, Rory doesn't want to talk about it, so I'm just always.
Speaker 2: It's the beginning of the beginning of Rory and her zero communication.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel I feel for Dean.
Speaker 2: He like fell head over heels for this girl, and I just I don't know the fact that he got really mad at her, maybe just sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they didn't need to break up. They just met a whole conversation and it would have been fine.
Speaker 2: And full breakup is pretty intense, like taking a day to sit and maybe breathe and then talk about it. Sure, but like exactly and also, by the way, that's a pretty big gift for three months. And also the way that like he was like a three months. I'm like, is this a new milestone? Like three months? Like six months a year? I get it, but three months is like you're just getting started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. But at the same time, it feels like they had been together longer than three months, because yeah, it's after Christmas and they got together in the fall at her birthday. So I don't know. Maybe another case of you know, was this supposed to air earlier than it did or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I think it's roughly through. I think it still it's roughly three months. I mean this episode March eighth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but her birthday was in October.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, her birthday's October.
Speaker 3: So I don't know. Maybe they were They could.
Speaker 2: Have just waited for six months, just said so, yeah, wait October, I'm gonna count on my fingers. October Sunrich March would have been five months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you couldn't. Yeah, I know. Again, three months was a weird.
Speaker 3: Stars hollow the time work doesn't exist like hours or a different length.
Speaker 1: It actually brings me to our producer.
Speaker 2: Emma texted this TikTok of like what time do the Gilmore Girls wake up to like basically do everything they do, and this girl, bless her.
Speaker 1: She literally sat.
Speaker 2: There into the mouth and I was like following along.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: Basically was like, all right, Chilton starts at eight fifteen, so then like backtracking how long it takes for the bus. Then she accounted for like shower, makeup, and like it came down to that they wake up at like five forty five, And I was like, that's it's like everything goes as planned.
Speaker 1: That's like if it's a.
Speaker 2: Normal day and there's no one like in their way.
Speaker 1: They I bet you they wake up at five.
Speaker 3: They could be Yeah, Rory especially, I don't know the Laurel I does, because she doesn't seem like an early riser.
Speaker 2: No, And also well, okay, but if Rory, if Rory has to be on the bus by like seven fifteen and Laureles had breakfast before that with her, then Lorelei's gotta be up at least by five forty five because you gotta go to Lukes.
Speaker 1: You gotta get ready to go to Luke's. And she's usually dressed and ready to go at Luke's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she's mind you the walk is zero point one miles so.
Speaker 1: There's no commute. Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Well, next week we're going to talk about season one, episode seventeen, The Breakup, Part two, which I just realized this episode never said part one, so we just jumped straight to part two, right.
Speaker 3: I guess this is supplied we're continuing.
Speaker 2: The cliffhanger wasn't a giveaway enough, But all right, we'll see you next week meeting adjourn. Everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com