Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty this is pretty smart. Today, I'm talking to one of my favorite journalists, Jammel Hill. She's an Emmy winning sports journalist who spent twelve years with ESPN. And it's not so much what she covers, but for me, it's how she covers it. I know I'm going to read or watch something valuable In a world that is so consumed with nonsense, Jammel Hill lives and works above the noise. You know, sports media isn't known for being controversial or even inherently political, but in twenty seventeen, she made her mark in shifting that landscape with one single tweet. You may remember her headline making moment when she tweeted about then President Donald Trump, calling him a white supremacist. The White House called on ESPN to fire her, and Jammel received death threats and I can only imagine much more.
Speaker 2: But those who had hoped.
Speaker 1: To silence her quickly learned that Jammel is a woman who is not afraid to say what's on her mind. She's not afraid to have the conversation that everyone else is avoiding. She's a woman and a person of conviction. She left ESPN in twenty eighteen, and now she's doing things on her own terms and making more money than ever before. She's a writer for The Atlantic, podcast host creator of the podcast network Unbothered, which is a partnership with Spotify, highlighting black female voices both in front.
Speaker 2: And behind the microphone.
Speaker 1: And she's the author of a new memoir, Aupill, a book she said she never wanted to write. You've said that Detroit is built into the fabric of who you are.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I feel like geography actually plays a big role in who people become.
Speaker 2: What about you is so Detroit?
Speaker 3: Well, if people notice, I mean, I guess you could say this to a degree about everybody is that everybody puts on for their city. But I feel like if you're from Detroit, you put on even harder because Detroit often does not get the attention that other major cities get. You know, we don't get the attention of New York or Chicago. Our sisters, yes, yes, the not to Chicago, and so you know, we don't get that love of an La or Miami. So when we go hard, we go hard, and because of that, we have this chip on our shoulders, you know, we feel the inferiority complex. But it also works to our benefit because it makes you want to grind and you want to show people that not only good things can come from Detroit, but that we have a different sense and work ethic than other places.
Speaker 4: You know, everybody in Detroit got a hustle.
Speaker 3: That's just that's that's just how we grew up, that's how we're raised. And I think the fact that we have such a you know, blue collar culture, being that the auto industry is you know, positioned and headquartered in Detroit. You know, that kind of bleeds into your personality. It's like you grow up knowing that you have to prove yourself, that you have to work hard, that you have a grit and a determination, and so all those things are very much fused into my DNA.
Speaker 1: That grit is something I feel from all my Detroit friends. And there's a groundedness too, like, no matter where you guys go, you're the same person you've always been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I heard that from a lot of people, and that makes me feel good because everybody usually tells me like, oh, I know somebody from Detroit.
Speaker 4: Detroit people are the best.
Speaker 3: I think it's a combination of not just how we are raised in the city, but also the Midwest, as you know, like it's just different. You know, there's a different sense of value, of different sense of priorities in the Midwest, and we are generally friendly, I think, And so I think so yeah, I mean I found in Chicago people to be wonderful, so relatives in Chicago, and so you know, I think just culturally the Midwest is nicer.
Speaker 4: No, this is everywhere else, but.
Speaker 2: It is best.
Speaker 4: I will say, we're a little more friendly.
Speaker 1: So you wrote, my parents had a lot of drug issues when I was growing up. And the one thing I loved about writing is that if you don't like your reality, it allows you.
Speaker 2: To create a new one.
Speaker 1: I love that you are a writer first. It's one of my favorite things. When I was researching for this interview. I can tell you truly love it. You don't just put that on your bio because it's like a thing that you do.
Speaker 2: How did writing create this new reality for you?
Speaker 3: So writing is something I've loved from the beginning. As a child, two things I love to do read and to write, which sounds very basic, but I was a voracious reader and I also love to write fiction and poetry.
Speaker 4: I just really took to language in general.
Speaker 3: And when you read a book, it does transpor into another place. Really good books, you know, you get lost to them. It's a reason why they say that. And even though I know people see the ESPN resume and some of the other things I've done, I didn't come to ESPN as a television personality. I came there as a writer and that was what I did and have done the bulk of my career, despite the television success I've been fortunate.
Speaker 4: Enough to experience.
Speaker 3: So with writing, it was not only just about expressing myself, but it was also about telling stories and imagination. And when you grow up in some of the challenging circumstances that I did with MO both my parents being recovering addicts, writing was very much a refuge for me.
Speaker 4: It was a safe haven for me.
Speaker 3: I could create without boundaries or limits, and it was also a sounding board.
Speaker 4: You know. My my earliest writings, beyond.
Speaker 3: Just the fiction and the poetry, was keeping a journal and so at journal I was able to vent and to rage.
Speaker 4: And to observe and to do all these things that.
Speaker 3: I think are a very integral part of writing, you know, writing especially, I would say journalism in particular, which is what I obviously gravitated toward. Journalism is about curiosity. It's about wanting to know how the world works and why. And I tell younger journalists it's like, you can't really be a journalist if you aren't curious, if you don't walk down the street and say, hey, I wonder why. If you don't do that, you're in the wrong profession. And so I had the sense of wonder, curiosity and creativity, and because of that, journalism was just such a natural route for me to take.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting that you said creativity. What about creativity you think plays a role?
Speaker 4: Well, I can't do math, and I hate science.
Speaker 3: I mean, I admire science, and you science and believe in science, but oh God is so boring, right, you know what I'm saying. And math it was like, ooh mean, numbers do not get along. We are sworn enemies. Once you eliminate those two, like, what's left? Oh, that's right, righting? I mean, I'm big on critical thinking, big on reading, big on discovery, and I think creativity is a part of that. It's always easy for me to tap into my imagination and to use language to communicate sometimes the things that you can't do verbally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the beauty of it. And so I just said this.
Speaker 3: Recently to an author I was interviewing. Is that reading her fiction novels. Her name is adak A Lotte, and you know, she's written some amazing fiction novels.
Speaker 4: And I told her, I was like.
Speaker 3: You know, reading you made me realize writing is you answering the questions you can't.
Speaker 4: Say out loud. That's what writing is.
Speaker 3: And so that's what I've always tried to do, is like answer the questions I've always wondering that people wonder. And sometimes those questions aren't comfortable, but you want to answer and get to a truth when you write. And that's what writing represents for me.
Speaker 1: Do you because you're on TV all the time, do you find it easier to write down your thoughts versus because you seem like very easy to speak them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: TV is just different. I mean, the medium is very instantly impactful. People when you write something might have to sit with it for a minute, or it just shifts them in a different way.
Speaker 4: With TV is much more thunderous.
Speaker 3: And so what I had to learn as especially during the early stages of my television career, is how to be succinct.
Speaker 4: Is how to be succinct?
Speaker 2: Give them radio people figure that out.
Speaker 3: I got to write, like you, you don't have a thousand words to explain. You got thirty seconds tops if you're lucky, and so you have to figure out how to do that. So it just forced me to use a different muscle, but it was all in sync with what you do and what.
Speaker 4: I should say. What I do as a journalist, it was the same thing but shorter.
Speaker 2: So come up with a bar, that's it.
Speaker 3: And I think it also helped because I never saw myself as a TV person. I was always a writer masquerading.
Speaker 4: As a TV person. And when you have.
Speaker 3: That mentality, I think you don't take TV as seriously, and by that I mean yourself seriously.
Speaker 4: I took TV itself seriously, the craft and understanding it. I didn't take myself seriously.
Speaker 3: And there are people, as you know, in television that tend to take themselves very seriously, and so I always had a natural comfort in front of the camera because I was only trying to be myself and that was it.
Speaker 2: That's such a good distinction.
Speaker 1: So you've actually been earning a living writing since you were fifteen, which is wild because most people can't earn a living writing.
Speaker 4: Ever, that is true.
Speaker 2: So how do you.
Speaker 1: Think that your life experiences as a kid gave you an edge? Because you see things in a very particular way, which is why people gravitate towards you.
Speaker 4: That's a really fascinating question.
Speaker 3: Is because your lived experience does shape you as a writer, and that's very true.
Speaker 4: So I think.
Speaker 3: I was able because I grew up in poverty, grew up again surrounded by addiction, you know, and other things in challenging neighborhoods. It allowed me to have a level of empathy because I know what I I had been through. I had been around people who had been through far worse and saw how their trauma played out in their lives consistently, and so it gives you a different sensibility.
Speaker 4: You know, when you write without.
Speaker 3: Empathy, then you're never going to reach a different place of understanding. And even if it was something that I could never have imagined for myself. If you just really do something as simple as putting yourself in somebody else's shoes, I think it's much easier to translate why something is important and mean something.
Speaker 4: I may not be able to identify with Lebron James physically because he's six's eight and.
Speaker 3: Two hundred and seventy pounds and is, you know, one of the greatest basketball players who ever played. When you read about how he grew up, you know, his mother, having him at fourteen or fifteen years old, living in eleven different houses, you can very much understand the pressure he's under or was under, you know, to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated at sixteen.
Speaker 2: And tools had to cultivate.
Speaker 4: Like right on the fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he was given a hundred million dollars when he was eighteen years old. So you think about that, and you think about what he's become a successful husband and father and businessman. It's one of the most amazing sports stories, amazing American stories ever told.
Speaker 4: So I think the route to understand.
Speaker 3: Again is not necessarily and how talented he is, but understanding what drives him, and I can understand what drives him because it drove me. And so that's what I mean about, like, if you approach writing and understanding the people you're talking about from a position of empathy and understanding those other circumstances, it allows you to have more nuanced conversations about them. I mean that's not to say that people who oooh dude, Lebron doesn't fall into this category, but people who do, like really awful things. I mean, I don't I'm not saying that you don't go into it having a level of accountability either, But I do think the empathy is a core component when you write.
Speaker 1: As you said that, I kept thinking, that is exactly what differentiates your writing. I heard you talk about Michael Vick once and I was like, she's the only person that's speaking about this with nuance. There's so much more to that story than just he did something bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean an empathy.
Speaker 3: It is the empathy. And I also, you know, you just follow the course of things. It's just like, Okay, he grew up in a subculture where fighting dogs was not wrong.
Speaker 4: He also is you know at that point.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think financially the lynchpin of his family, he is coming to more money than he ever thought possible, and between the pressures of family, the pressures of being a highly paid professional athlete.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that these things drove him to dogfight.
Speaker 3: What I am saying is that, you know, a lot of people are trying to understand how somebody in that position could put it on the line for that, and that's the question you're trying to figure it out, and to figure out, you know, frankly, is that are we going to Some people will never forgive Michael Vick and are harder on him than they are on people who have, you know, no disrespected dolls, but harm. So, you know, I try to bring that level of understanding to it. But I have to say the one thing I do not miss about television because it was only always so important to me, I don't honestly miss having to come up with bite sized viewpoints on people where nuance is required. And what I love about writing is that it begs you for the nuance.
Speaker 4: TV doesn't like.
Speaker 3: Unless you are able to have an hour long show where you can go on and go any place you want, which nobody does because you're trying to keep everybody's attention. TV just doesn't give you that, And I have to say I do not miss on a daily basis having to put out soundbites about people I don't know.
Speaker 2: The podcast space has given me that. Do you feel that way?
Speaker 4: I feel that way.
Speaker 3: I love podcasting And the reason why when I left ESPN one of the first deals I signed was to do a podcast is because I missed the nuance. I miss being able to do this, miss having those convers and just the nature of podcasting lends itself to intimacy, which you don't get in TV. So it was the perfect platform for me. And I do a lot of things, but you know, the podcast really is a passion project.
Speaker 2: It's a sole thing it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a perfect way to put it.
Speaker 2: I did not know you love baseball so much.
Speaker 4: I did. Look, let me let me explain before thee has come from me.
Speaker 3: Baseball was my first love growing up, and people have to understand one, I'm a thousand years old and because of that, there were certain things that are at our fingertips now that were not in existence.
Speaker 4: And we're talking about.
Speaker 3: You know, the early nineteen eighties and the Detroit Tigers were really good and they won World Series in nineteen eighty four, and then they were competitive for a while. And so growing up in the backdrop of your city's team being great is going to suck you in. And that's exactly what happened. And I used to listen to their games on the radio, watch them on TV. When you followed your teams, you had to follow them either through watching the local newscast, through some snippets on national news, or you had to read the newspaper, which is something that I did religiously.
Speaker 4: As I read the newspaper to follow my sports.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. No one does.
Speaker 4: No one don't know that. You don't even know what a paper feels like anymore.
Speaker 3: But I grew up reading the newspaper, which was honestly divine intervention because that sucked me into journalism is reading about sports and just reading about it. I was like, oh, so people write about sports for a living.
Speaker 4: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: And you know, fast forward to when I was a sophomore junior in high school is when I joined the newspaper staff. From there, I started working for the local newspaper answering phones.
Speaker 4: So I've been very lucky to have always been paid as a writer.
Speaker 3: So since I was like fifteen, sixteen years old, I've been a paid writer, So that in itself is like a tremendous achievement for somebody who had never heard of sports writing growing up or didn't know any sports writers. It was like, Yeah, I'm gonna be a sports writer.
Speaker 4: That was the goal.
Speaker 1: You write for one of my favorite outlets now, The Atlantic, and your bio sports at its conversion with gender, race, and politics. I don't mean to keep bringing this back to geography, but I do think that people that grow up in cities where race is a part of their city more so a different perspective for me. Chicago's the second most segregated city in America. Race is at the forefront, so I've always thought about it. Detroit's very similar. Race has always been a part of that city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, even though I grew up in a city that was I think right now Detroit is the blackest city in the country because I think it's I mean, it's basically like eighty five percent black. DC was the chocolate city that people were familiar with that. I know people look at Atlanta, but we have more black folks in Detroit than they, you know, haveing Atlanta. I'm pretty positive that's the case. And even DC, because you know, gentrification and everything, they've lost a little of the chocolatedness, if you will. But I say all that to say, even though you're growing up largely around people that look like you, the race informs the policies that lead to what you see play out every day. So you talked about the segregation of Chicago, which is very real and continues to be that way. In Detroit, it's the same way. The reason why Eminem named his movie eight Mile is because eight miles the dividing line between the city and the suburbs. Detroit, like many urban centers, was the casualty of white flight. I mean, there were race riots in Detroit, and when it got to a point with the auto industry, there were race riots in the plants. When the auto industry where you had you know, black and white workers working alongside each other, there was a lot of beef, even though really they should have been on the side of being against ownership and the corporate nature of what they were doing. A lot of racial tension that developed, and the race riots that happened in nineteen sixty seven. That wasn't even the worst race riots that have ever happened in Detroit's history, which people don't know. But when the race riots happened, after that, white people fled the city of Detroit and droves.
Speaker 4: And see when that happens.
Speaker 3: The reason why people point out the impact of white flight is that because of the perceptions of race, perceptions of black people, it kills your tax base. So all of a sudden, if you go from a city that is a million too, suddenly.
Speaker 4: You have like two three hundred thousand white people just leave.
Speaker 3: Then it's taking the tax space with them, which means it changes the dynamic of city services, of policies, schools, all of that. And you know, still very much at that time, and it still happens today in America. You have redlining, you have all these things that have happened to depress and oppress the people that are left behind. And as a result, Detroit fell on some very challenging economic times. Detroit used to be one of the richest cities in the world and now it's one of the poorest. The motor city, yeah, because all you know, the Great migration happened because everybody was trying to get to jobs in the plant right, and so you have this very stable manufacturing base, and suddenly that starts to erode, and then you have white people who cross eight mile. They're all living in the suburbs, leaving the city behind to die.
Speaker 4: It becomes a.
Speaker 3: Very great racial divide. The odd thing is is that now it's reverse migration. Is that a lot of white people moving back to Detroit because they're trying to birth some new industries in downtown Detroit.
Speaker 4: I go down there now.
Speaker 3: It is very strange because this is the impact of gentrification whole another conversation. But I'm like the only black person sometimes when I go into places, which is very bizarre because the neighborhoods are still all mostly black except for their pockets that are now getting many more, you know, white people. So it's very different because downtown, you know, is right off a riverfront, very prime property.
Speaker 4: So people.
Speaker 3: We have seen this happen in pretty much a lot of the major American cities, from Atlanta to DC. Chicago's that when the cool industries come, the people who put their sweat equity into the city when it wasn't cool, they get pushed out and there all of a sudden want to appeal to a different type of detroitter, which.
Speaker 4: Is not a black detroiter.
Speaker 3: So the city has come back and come a long way, but for people who are longtime Detroiters, it's uncomfortable to watch because for years when nobody was going downtown, they were going downtown and now to some degree, feel like strangers in their own city.
Speaker 1: I wanted to touch on it because you were on a podcast, a Revolt podcast, and you said, growing up black in this country is intertwined with the sports experience, how we frame sports, how we view sports, how we talk about sports.
Speaker 2: Can you say more about that?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: I think we all see the optics when it comes to particularly football and basketball, because those are the sports that are dominated by black athletes.
Speaker 4: So you have black.
Speaker 3: Entertainment, the athletes, mostly white ownership, if not pretty much all white ownership, and large majority white fan basis watching the entertainment. So that racial dynamic in itself is very much a mirror of America, where you have a black labor force, often working and usually borderline being exploited, if not fully exploited by a white upper class to serve mostly you know, white people. Even though you may see black athletes making an incredible living, you know making twenty thirty thirty five to forty However many millions a year somebody wrote that check easily okay, And yet a lot of times when it's the criticism, when it's all those things, people direct their anger at the product and not the people who are above them. And I find that to be very fascinating and very much on brand for America.
Speaker 2: That to me sums up your view of the world.
Speaker 1: Like I think that you think of sports as a microcosm of America, which is why your writing.
Speaker 4: Is so interesting.
Speaker 3: It always has been, and that's why with The Atlantic, I wanted to specifically be given the license and the freedom to write about the intersection of race, class, gender in sports because it is very definitive of the American experience, not just from a money standpoint, but in sports you get to see things that you may not understand is happening in the real world, but when you see it in sports, it might register differently. Plus, sports is one of the few things that we do together. Like a lot of experiences in America are segregated religious experiences, school sports is not. It forces every together because you could be from any economic background and y'all all could be Laker fans and y'all all could be Pistons fans or it's unifying. And so that's why I think having conversations using sports as a lens or backdrop are often more constructive because people are able to lower their guard, they're able to understand somebody else through the lens of sports.
Speaker 1: I've always felt that way about entertainment, and I came from a lot of teachers, professors, and they would be like, what are you doing with your life? This is so you cannot go do that that you're wasting your brain. And I was like, I see it differently, and I don't know, I feel the same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I mean, entertainment is definitely a huge vehicle to look at at race, you know, even when.
Speaker 2: You look at gender.
Speaker 4: And gender and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you look at what we're consuming, as you know, as people who are into pop culture, as you know, I wanted to be entertained, you know, movies, films, they have an ability to make statements that other sectors of society can't make. Yeah, an ability to make you understand something that you never thought you would.
Speaker 1: One of the pillars of this podcast has always been providing info that enhances your life, whether it's people's stories, knowledge, laughter, regrets, or just simply things that can make your life easier. This is one of those. Goble delivers gourmet, freshly prep fifteen minute meal kits right to your doorstep. The meals are simple recipes and fresh ingredients that have been chopped, portioned, and simmered so that dinner is both fast and delicious. I tried Gobble because I realized that my food delivery bill was one of my highest monthly costs. Goble gives me the convenience of takeout with the health and freshness of a home cooked meal at a price that works for me. Their meals start at eleven ninety nine per serving. Seasonal menus are released weekly and include dishes for every palate. So whether you're looking for some type of global cuisine like the butter chicken with Basmadi rice and non bread that I love so much, or the butternut squash ravioli, Gobble has you covered.
Speaker 2: Each week.
Speaker 1: You can hyper personalize your menus from a new selection of twelve to fifteen entrees, and you can choose between two person or four person meal plans. So head on over to Gobble Dot com slash pretty Smart six three six to get your first six gobble meals for just thirty six dollars. Okay, here's an insight. I want to get your opinion. The top ten most followed people on Instagram are nearly all women. It's Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande.
Speaker 4: Kim Kardashian, right, yes, Beyonce.
Speaker 2: Maybe Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Is that they're nearly all performers of some sort, right. The top ten most followed athletes are all men. To me, that signals that we're still not used to seeing women use their bodies to compete instead of performed.
Speaker 4: Ooh, okay, dropping a bar? What do I think?
Speaker 3: There is probably a lot of truth to that. The best observation I can think of about why there's such a disparity is that I think, you know, in the sports space, in the sports media space, women's you know, female athletes just are not They're not talked about in that same constant media cycle as you know as their male counterparts. You know, Serena has talked about obviously because she is about to you know, she's retiring or evolving involving, yes, not retiring, Sorry, Serena, do you mean to use the artword, but you have that, and obviously it was a US open. But they're not on ESPN. They're not doing daily serena topics, but they'll do seven hundred topics about Tom Brady whether it's in season or not. And so male athletes are constantly being focused, centered, discuss dissected all the time, and with women it's just not it's just not the same. But when it comes to music or movies, and even if a woman who's an actress has one movie out the year, the fact is like either who she's dating, who she's married to, her kids, like it's body her body, it's so many things that are going to keep her in the news and being discussed and dissected all the time. So when I step back and take more of a sixty thousand foot view, I'm not surprised that most of the women who are in the top ten follows on Instagram are are in the entertainment space.
Speaker 1: I don't want to harp on ESPN that much because you've done a million interviews about that, but I do have two questions. One is i've heard you talk about how when you did His and Hers, which was before a Sports Center that you were paid two hundred thousand dollars less than your male co hosts doing the same job.
Speaker 2: Yep, you don't seem mad about it.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing.
Speaker 3: And you know, I know that grab that was quite a juicy headline, and the other part of it. It was also at that point the biggest contract I've ever signed. It was also the most money I'd ever made. So while there is something to be said for there being such a disparity for the same job, and some people just reading you know, it was funny like reading some of the comments or where people would write to me like, well, why did you sign the contract? Because it was I was getting paid over four hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, that is why I signed the contract. That's not bad, but at all, Like, that's a great living. If you'd have told me when I was eighteen that I'd be making four hundred thousand dollars one day or four hundred plus, I'd be like, hell, yeah, I'm taking that right. And you know, other people are like, oh, well, you know, well Michael Smith was more experienced. Michael Smith's younger than me.
Speaker 4: Okay, and that's that's an insight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was younger than me, and that it wasn't based off age. I understood some of it just in this sense that Mike had been doing tv TV specifically longer than me, but journalistically I had more years in the game than him, and I think.
Speaker 4: It wasn't really about that.
Speaker 3: It was really mostly about we are literally at the same desk, doing the same job. And to Mike's credit, and because he's my boy and one of my closest friends, you know, Mike told me what he was making, right, And he told me, Yeah, it's like he told me what he was making because he wanted me to understand.
Speaker 4: What I was worth.
Speaker 3: And we had those conversations and there was a strategy involved with that too, with me and my representation, and that strategy was like, didn't get him this round, got something for him next round, and the next contract looked a lot different, okay, And Mike and I were making the exact same amount of money, and I was, you know, even given a signing bonus that was essentially a financial apology for the disparity.
Speaker 4: You no pay equity became a real.
Speaker 3: Focus, like you know, John Skipper, who is the president at the time. You know, he said it publicly that he really wanted to narrow the gender pay gap at ESPN, and so I was a part of him really making good on his pledge to do that. So while yeah, that was definitely true, but what came out of it was something so much, you know, greater. So I was still making good money, don't get me wrong, but yeah, I mean there was something kind of initially a tan insulting about the fact that I was like, oh, this is interesting, but I found out in television that's actually really common.
Speaker 2: I mean, it happened to me, it was super common.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's frustrating when you're in it because it's a passion career, like nobody in it is like in it for anything else.
Speaker 2: Usually, Yeah, and it feels insulting.
Speaker 4: But you want to be compensated for your work.
Speaker 3: And especially if you know, if we're sitting on this couch and we're both hosting this show and I'm making eggs and you make it why and it's a disparity like it's and you're putting in the same amount of work. I know, people like to judge everything based off like popularity and this and that. Well, do you have the same followers or do all this all this kind of stuff. And I get that, and maybe that's a small part of the equation, but in day in and day out, if you have a show with somebody and you guys are doing the same amount of work to make the show great, it's kind of hard to be like, yeah, you know, I should be paid lessantly and so significantly is one thing. If it's just like a couple thousand, it's another thing if it's just like, well, damn, I.
Speaker 2: Mean two hundred thousands, life changing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a nice that's a nice chunk a change. And and thankfully to I'll add that by the end of that that particular contract, we were we were much We were not equal, but we were much closer by the end of that one until we got to Sports Center where we were making the exact same.
Speaker 1: So you said that you became a better journalist when you became a better business woman.
Speaker 2: I'm dying to know what you mean by that.
Speaker 3: When I became more vigilant about my money, and I think what happens. It is societal conditioning that we as women absorb, and it gets in our heads. We very much despite the fact we outperformed so many times. You know, we're carrying a tremendous amount of weight, but yet we have this conditioning that tells us we should.
Speaker 4: Be happy to be there.
Speaker 3: And when you have that we should be happy to be there, it will cost you money because you will wind up taking jobs that are taking jobs and taking less compensation because you feel like somebody's taking a chance on you. And like, no, they hired you because you're.
Speaker 4: Talented and you're good. They didn't hire you because of charity.
Speaker 3: Like I didn't get to ESPN because they were like, you know what, let's come a little black girl. We're going to uplift you and you can be on this network and we'll pay you money, and because this is our charitable season. No, they hired me because I could do a job and feel a need that they had. So, because we're constantly underestimating what we bring to the table, we have a tendency to take less than what we're worth. And so when I got out of that mentality, when I got out of the you should just be happy to be here, I became more serious about my money and I stopped worrying about how the people maybe in negotiation with or you know, the people that were pulling the purse rings. I stopped worrying about their feelings because all it took was me hearing enough stories. And this is you know, this was an education I received at ESPN because as you know, you get in TV, it's treacherous, like and it's treacherous and people are really about.
Speaker 4: Getting their bread.
Speaker 3: And when I heard stories about some of the things people are asking for, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Why am I feeling bad?
Speaker 3: Like why am I feeling like I'm asking for something I don't deserve when people have asked for bolder things than I have. And so I just think it's something as women, it's a habit that we have to break. It's hard because we our behavior is policed.
Speaker 4: So much differently.
Speaker 3: You know, people calling us emotional or sometimes if you are just assertive and you create boundaries, people want to call you a bitch for that and all of that. Because we get those labels so easily over things that men do all the time. We instead of forcing other people to just have to deal with it or just learn to like it, we change, or we tone down, or we shrink or we start playing it to the back. Nah, I ain't doing that because, especially when you're at your prime of your career and you got a lot of opportunities come in your way, you only got one time to make that money, and so you might as well make sure that you are getting the.
Speaker 4: Compensation you deserve.
Speaker 3: And plus, we have to start being open about what we're making. That's why I didn't have any problem telling people that I made less money than Mike, hoping that the next woman that's in that position will feel empowered to say, hold on, let me make sure that we getting paid the same for doing the same thing, right, And so I think we have to start being transparent about those conversations because a lot of these companies and businesses depend on our silence. They depend on it because if I'm not telling you what you know, Hey, I had the same job, since this is what they pay me, then they're allowed to have all the leverage. I mean, there's definitely been many occasions where some of my friends and even some people who I don't even know as well, have come to me and said, Hey, this particular school or this particular business they asked me to come do a speaking engagement. They said they only had fifteen thousand dollars in the budget. What did they pay you, girl? They paid me thirty. Ask for thirty. Actually ask for more and make them come back to thirty if that's what they really have. I was like, no, that the first thing they offer you ain't all they got. Okay, So that's how you allow other women, all of us, to be able to boost one another up. I've never believed that we should be holding these things as state secrets because I think truly that when whatever industry, when we all begin to succeed, it just raises every level for everybody else. And so when I became a better business person, I became a better journalist because it is going to impact psychologically how you work and what you do when you know that you are getting paid what you deserve.
Speaker 2: The idea that if you walk through a door, you have.
Speaker 1: To like look back and bring someone else through is something that I think is spoken about, but you really love it. I think you're doing that with your podcast network with Spotify.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this was not you know, in all candidness, this was not something I came into the door of Spotify thinking I wanted to do. I was only thinking about Okay, I know, I want my podcast.
Speaker 4: To be this.
Speaker 3: This is you know, kind of the involvement that I want to have is churning out a weekly podcast and talking to people and interviewing folks. But as I you know, dug deeper into that relationship with Spotify and just looking around the podcast landscape, I was like, there is not there's certainly black women who are podcasting, but not a lot and there's not a lot of content, you know, for black women in a space that is exploding. And so, from a creative standpoint, a leadership standpoint, I wondered, what could I do to leave something lasting that will impact, amplify, uplift and center black women. And so I went to Spotify and asked them if we could partner together to create a network that specifically centered black women. And you know the reason why to me that was the focus is obviously I'm a black woman.
Speaker 4: This just the end.
Speaker 3: And two, I was just thinking about the bigger landscape. So we have a black woman who's the vice president. We have Stacy Abrams trying to be the first black female governor in history, in history, all right, we have so many you know, you look at the Democratic Party, in particular, black women have become the backbone of that. From an education standpoint, black women became the most educated group in the country.
Speaker 4: They were the.
Speaker 3: Only group who owned more businesses than their male ethnic counterpart. So, you, you know, black women saving Wakanda, like they're doing all kinds of things, and people tend to put us in this savior role of like, come save us black women from the awful decisions we told y'all not to make to begin with. We're much more than that. We're much more than mules and much more than saviors. And so I wanted to look at the fullness of who Black women are through wellness, through relationships, through trauma, through laughter and comedy, through all these different vehicles. I wanted to create a network that really really highlighted what black women are.
Speaker 1: You're producing Colin Kaepernick's thirty for thirty. You tell a story about how this was after you left ESPN, Colin calls you and says, Hey, they came to me with this.
Speaker 2: What do you think. I don't want to undermine you.
Speaker 4: Which says a lot about him.
Speaker 3: And realize that, you know, Colin and I were friendly, but we were not friends. He did not owe me that phone call, and had he never called me, I wouldn't have lost any respect for him. And in fact, I considered him factoring me into his decision making to be very humbling, because it was no reason to really do that. And when he asked my honest opinion, which I gave, and I told him that I thought ESPN was the best vehicle for his story, some people were surprised by that, because, you know, while I left there amicably, it was awkward, you know, the way that I left, and some people might assume that I had some bitterness towards ESPN, which I don't, or was resentful, and I was no. I was like, I think this makes a lot of sense for you, and for him to then say, well, I tell you what, what would make me really comfortable is if you came on as an executive producer and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Don't threaten me with a good time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm here for that, like, because his story, you know, needs to be told, and I'm just really really excited about where we are with it.
Speaker 2: I was shocked when you told that story.
Speaker 1: I think it'd be incredible if more people went on of their way like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think, you know, for him to have that level of sensibility, and.
Speaker 1: I think probably so many people did or didn't show up for him, he saw it in such a s.
Speaker 4: I think you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there were times where he wished others had done the same thing. And it was a very and I knew this before we started working on the documentary, but even more so, you know, hearing him talk about what happened and what has been his life since he began his protest in twenty sixteen, it's so much lonelier than people have imagined in their mind.
Speaker 4: To do what he's done.
Speaker 3: And you saw pockets of people standing with him, but very few people really.
Speaker 4: It's only one, his best friend, Eric.
Speaker 3: Reid, stood with him the entire way to the point Eric and of course his partner nessa but to the point where it cost Eric, I think his job in the NFL.
Speaker 4: So very few people did that.
Speaker 2: And that's also a story that really has in fancy.
Speaker 3: No because people forget that, you know, yes, Eric Reid, he did play longer than Colin in the NFL. But despite his production, when it was over with the Panthers, it was over in the NFL. I mean, his phone has not rung from an NFL team since, and you just again, given what his production was, his last year in the league, his age, you know, the fact that he's still one of the better, you know safeties in the NFL, it was.
Speaker 4: Just really, it wasn't surprising.
Speaker 3: It was more of the same from the NFL of penalizing people for daring to actually, you know, take a stance against something we should all frankly be very vigilant about ending, you know, uphill.
Speaker 1: It's a memoir. I heard it's the book that you never wanted to write.
Speaker 3: It's not I didn't want to write about myself. I did not want to write about myself. And maybe that just comes from it does along it comes from two things. Is that one I struggle with and I feel like this is a relatable struggle for a lot of women. Is I definitely struggle with appreciating myself in the moment, like I'm a deflector, I'm a self deprecating person, Like I don't really like being the center of attention. So the idea of writing a memoir was like, no, and that doesn't mean I mind being transparent, like you know, in a setting like this like you interviewed me, like, I'm going to give you honest, transparent answers, but to write a whole book about just me. I was like, oh, that sounds so lame, but many a great decision has been made because of this.
Speaker 4: The money was too good. I'm not gonna lie. That's just what it was.
Speaker 3: It was My literary agent SCA was very honest with me, and he was just like, there is a tremendous amount of interest in you writing a memoir. I was like, you gotta be kidding me, And really cool it is, you know, but at the time I was just whining about it, and I know he was like, are you insane? Like do you know how few people when their memoirs go to auctions so that you have multiple bidders for one book? Like it doesn't happen, and you know, So I had to suck it up and write a memoir. And as I got into the process of writing it, which started in twenty nineteen, it was really difficult, painful, but very rewarding. Coming out of it, I'm so glad that I did it.
Speaker 4: Wow, So thank you for offering me a lot of money to make me ready before and go through some.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's true. I mean it does when you write a memoir. And I think this was frankly part of my fear is that it forces you to relive, open up the boxes of your life that you have firmly put in the closet, that are in the back, the boxes you don't touch. You know, we all have been to the moving experience where, like you, all you're doing is like moving the same boxes from one place to the next that you never opened. And I'm like, if I didn't open this box at the last three residences and put this away, why does.
Speaker 4: This boxtel with me? Right?
Speaker 3: And so for me, I was just really afraid to open a lot of boxes.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it was very emotional writing this.
Speaker 3: I mean there was a time where I was writing and crying at the same time.
Speaker 4: And who wants to go through that? Nobody does.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, I was really proud of myself when it was done, and I am.
Speaker 4: Glad so over her.
Speaker 3: But I think it allowed me to get out of that mode of constantly deflecting.
Speaker 4: So it was good.
Speaker 1: If there's one, not one thing, if there are two things that I have garnered from all my research for this interview.
Speaker 2: It's that you have a real conviction.
Speaker 1: That word kept coming up as I was watching your interviews, and you really believe in the truth, which I think is partly maybe why you went into journalism. But it's just inherent to you. So I think there's probably going to be a lot of that in the book, which.
Speaker 4: Makes it is. I mean, it's a lot of it in there.
Speaker 3: I think people in their minds are probably assuming because of you know, I've had a very public career, particularly the last five or six years. Yeah, they're going to wrongly assume that that is the bulk of the book, very small percentage. It might be twenty percent. You know, I'll give you guys a cheek code. All the stuff about esp in the back of the book, right into the back.
Speaker 2: Right, but it was defining moment, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: And you know, and even the Donald Trump stuff is all on the back of the book. So yeah, it's like it's in the back, you know, that that stuff I don't even get into until probably like the last four or five chapters.
Speaker 4: But everything that happens.
Speaker 3: Before then is really a journey into who I am and to what shaped me. And it's some triumphs. It's it's a good fair amount of ugliness, you know. I mean, I really spend much of it talking about the very complicated relationship that I have, you know, with my mother, and you know, mothers and daughters go through things, and particularly having to witness and be in the middle of my mother's drug addiction was very difficult for me. So I have to relive some childhood trauma. She had to belive some trauma because I, you know, interviewed her multiple times for the book, and it was tough.
Speaker 4: You know, my mother has survived a lot.
Speaker 3: She's the greatest survivor I've ever known, and so by exposing my story, I'm exposing her story at.
Speaker 4: The same time.
Speaker 3: So I am really curious as to how this will how people will will receive that. But I hope people understand that this is about how you come out of things and not how you state in them.
Speaker 4: And so I know, I wish I'd have thought of that before I came.
Speaker 3: Up Hill, which wasn't I mean, to be honest, that wasn't actually my title, Like the title I came up with, which I loved, but book Bubblish didn't love.
Speaker 1: It so much.
Speaker 2: What was it.
Speaker 4: The title I came up with was broken Curses.
Speaker 3: And you know, my mother, she used to talk a lot about how families can be beset by generational curses, where you're passing down trauma from you know, one matriarch or patriarch to the next, like you're just passing it along and not really dealing with it. And they thought that Broken Curses was a bit too negative and that whole. But I was like, you're breaking the curse though it's not staying in the curse.
Speaker 4: You're breaking in.
Speaker 2: Okay, we do some rapid fire.
Speaker 4: Oh my favorite? You ready to see me?
Speaker 1: Best sports film of all time, of all time?
Speaker 2: Or your favorite?
Speaker 3: Hmmm, I'm gonna say I always believe like saying the first thing that pops even mine any given Sunday.
Speaker 2: Why did your mom name you Jamel?
Speaker 3: Because actually my mother, the story behind this is that that wasn't the name she wanted. The name she wanted was actually Jamila, which in Arabic means beautiful. But while she was recovering from having me, my grandmother's and my father conspired and changed my name while she was in there, and that's what wound up on the more certificate, which was Jamel, but it's derivative of Jamila in her mind, so that's why she named me that it's unique.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is a book that has changed your life? Something you think everyone should read?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll tell you the most recent one. Okay, Biola Davis is memoir.
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable. It's unbelievable. Yes, I mean so that one.
Speaker 3: Oh a book I read and I hated that I got on this book late because I think it came out like twenty fifteen. Twenty sixteen, a book by author named Yah Jesse called Homecoming phenomenal, one of the best books I've ever read. And she's brilliant. Oh, I'll give you a third because I talked about books all day long.
Speaker 2: But it's a bookie podcast. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just finished this book. I believe her name is Leela Motley. She's out of Oakland Night Crawling fantastic. That was actually the last book that I read.
Speaker 2: Pretty smart card deck. We do a question.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, do I get to pick her you? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get to pick which everyone.
Speaker 4: This is gonna be some ridiculous second. I already feel it.
Speaker 3: What is the best advice someone has given you, and why how about the worst the worst advice? That's funny, great advice. Walter Mosley, the author, since this is a a book, intensive it was, Lee told me i interviewed him for my own podcast.
Speaker 4: He's prolific, like he just writes. I'm like, you just write.
Speaker 3: And I was struggling at that point with my memoir because as even though journalists have deadlines, you wind up writing by field, meaning oh, I'm in the mood. You know, it might be three o'clock in the morning, and be like, let me bang this story out because I can feel it, I know where I want to go with it, I understand it. And so when you write that way, you're not very disciplined. And that's how I was doing my memoir. So I might in one day, I might write forty pages and then I won't write for three weeks. And Walter Mosley, he told me, every day he gets up and writes for two hours no matter what he said.
Speaker 4: Even if it's crap.
Speaker 2: Did it change the way you write?
Speaker 4: Totally did?
Speaker 3: And then I realized I had to stop being emotional about when I wrote and waiting until I was ready and just had to write. So then I made it a discipline, and then I said a time every day and wrote, and that's how I finished the memoir.
Speaker 4: And it's true. He was right.
Speaker 3: Worst advice I probably got. It's from a girlfriend about it and she sees it, she'll know, she'll know what it is.
Speaker 4: She was like, never tell the truth? Who cares about that? I was like, what does she know? Who she's talking to her?
Speaker 3: She's like, don't tell the truth. No one has time for that. And I was like, she was like, but why it's so pointless?
Speaker 2: Okay, Donald Trump?
Speaker 4: Right? I was like, this is really awful advice.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 4: She was like, I'm just saying no one, no one cares.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, that's actually really good answer, no question, and I was hollering.
Speaker 4: I was just like, you are going to get me, like in a total world of trouble. It was. It was about a very specific situation, and I was like, this is awful advice.
Speaker 2: The smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 3: Oh, marry my husband. That has definitely the smartest decision I've ever made.
Speaker 1: I actually want to do a whole separate podcast with you about that, because it seems like you guys have the thing.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the thing is that I guess that we have is like obviously, you know, there's love, there's affection, but there's mutual respect. And I have not been I don't think really I ever have been in a relationship where somebody actually brought out the best of me. He actually brings out the best of me, and I want to be the best for him, and I have not felt that really at all, you know, and which I was like, wow, Q, all my exis somewhere like what I mean, you know, different people different at different stages in your life, and I you know, so I think, yeah, that part was an unexpected twist in our relationship because I don't I think generally speaking, most women is me and my husband actually debate this a little bit because I told him, I was like, you know, I think women have bigger egos.
Speaker 4: Men have more fragile egos.
Speaker 3: And I know people are like women have bigger egos only because of this, And I don't mean bigger ego with everything I mean, particularly about relationships. And most women believe every person they've dated they've been the best thing they've.
Speaker 4: Ever happened to them.
Speaker 3: Every woman believes this, like have you been the best thing that ever happened to whoever you've dated, I don't think. So, Okay, you're like the first woman I've ever run into that has said that.
Speaker 2: Most of it like yeah, therapy, Okay, that's true.
Speaker 3: See that's how you know you're like, ooh, yeah, you might have said yes. I think most women tend to say that because we do really feel that way, and because of that, we miss a lot of keywork.
Speaker 4: We could do on ourselves.
Speaker 3: And so my my husband is the first person who really exposed me, and I mean that in a great way. And because I had, I struggled a lot with being vulnerable a lot with it, and another reason I didn't want to write a memoir. And he didn't give me any place to run because he's very open, he's very honest, he's like direct, like and so it made me. It put me in that space of discomfort to the point where I was like, I gotta deal with this. So I'm not saying I'm perfect at it, but yeah, he made me want to do it, want to try to like really be unvarnished and vulnerable with him. So best decision I've ever made, Smartest decision I've ever made is marrying this man.
Speaker 2: All right, today's a good day to have a good day. I'll see you next week.