Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Paul Sinclair, I know what you mean when you talk about the stigma that comes attached with the ideas of where wolves. People will say, ah, that's just something that Hollywood made up, when in fact, where wolves wear, cats, shape shifters, things of that sort that those have been reported throughout human civilization, throughout human history pretty much everywhere. I mean, the oldest petroglyph in the world shows a shape shifter, and as you document in your film Wolf Lands, the idea of shape shifters in that particular area East Yorkshire has been around as long as people have been there, right, It's very concentrated there.
Speaker 3: It really is. You know, when you start feeling back the layers, George, and you realize that this do we call it a phenomena. It's real. It's very real, and it's been here all of the time, and it's come through the generations and come through over hundreds of years. It seems to resurface. Unlike I touched on earlier, is that just because you've got someone in the area a little bit more interested stroke dedicated. I don't know, if you go back and over one hundred and twenty years in a tiny village in North Yorkshire. And there's not a lot separate separating eastern North you know. I mean, I'm only probably twelve miles from the border of North Yorkshire, not even that. But there was a writer and researcher called Howard Breally and I found it in an old archive whilst looking through old documents in the Bridlington Library. And Howard Breally wrote about what he called the bar Guest, a huge fur covered hound with huge glowing red eyes that frequented, that haunted the forests and mus of North Yorkshire. And what's interesting he lived in East Eyton and I touched on the forest of Ness apologies, I touched on the forest of Broxa earlier. And in between Broxa and East Ayton you've got Hackness, which is the heart of the Forge Valley. And when you when you go into Hackneys it's literally four miles from East Stayton. So this man one hundred and twenty years ago is talking about this, he's obviously got some knowledge of it, and those probably ancient texts and those there's I don't know, maybe oral stories that have gone to the grave with people way back then, but he had knowledge of it back then, the bar guest of East Dayton. And it's literally four miles from the entrance to the Forge Valley, which is Hacknes. Incidentally, Hackneys used to be called hat Chanos, which means with the whiskers. Quite where that fits into everything, George, I don't know, but it's an interesting name.
Speaker 2: Well, the Hamniby, this little settlement, Humnaby, what does that mean? It's translated into Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's hund meaning hound, hund. So you'll find a lot of people in eastern North Yorkshire. They've they've got their own dialects, so they'll say a hund and but it actually means a hound or a dog, so you've got hunded man, so you've got hound man. So when you put them together, b hundman Bey is a village. Incidentally, it's two miles from Flixton, which is the place where we talk about the Flixton werewolf. And there's nothing in between Hunmanby and Flixton. There's just barren land. There's woodland and open land. The wolves which in ancient text means the wilds. So you've got hundman Mey hundman By George, which literally means farmstead of the hound Man. Yet I've not created this to fit it in nicely into the documentary Wolfland. These ingredients are already there for me. And it's so fast because in between Flixton and huntmanby Armstead of the hound Man, you've got a hill that you branch off from Flixton and go this hill, and it's called Whitegate Hill. The amount of reports that I've got from Whitegate Hill is uncanny of a upright by peedal creature that's jumped into the road in front of two ladies driving home. They haven't gone on film. I've got their story and we do hope to get them in the next documentary. Obviously the driving they've not been drinking. It's took them by surprise. It They're going down white Gate Hill towards Flixton and this thing jumps into the road and they saw it for a split second. I don't think these things are by chance, George. You've got all that open countryside, you've got all that woodland, Yet suddenly something jumps in front of somebody's car and then springs off. She said everything looked or they said apologies there they said everything looked wrong about this, yet it moves so fast. He was very lean as well. I'm told there's another story, and I've called this the twig Man, and it came from October twenty se October twenty sixth, twenty twenty two. And once again we've got a guy who was driving from a nearby village called Muston. And once again we're only three miles from Flixton, two miles from Hummumby. Muston used to be called Moonstone. There was a large stone there many many years ago. But he's driving there in the night, I think. He said. The time was just before nine pm, about fifty miles an hour, and he said, in his peripheral vision he caught a glimpse of something stood at the side of the road, and as he approached it, its immediately set off running and was teething up with the car, which is not possible at fifty miles an hour. Fifth fifty to sixty, I think, is what he said. He said, he's fiddling with the full beam, and he put the full beam on his car and toret a glimpse of this thing, which he thought when he saw it in his peripheral it was he thought it was covered in twigs. He thought it was just a huge upright bipeople whatever. He doesn't know how to describe it covered in twigs. Now he believes it was mattered air. He said it kept up with his car for about ten seconds. He said, I'm still messing with the lights and shot by what I've seen, and he just diverted and just ran away into the onto what's called flixton star car. That once again the ancient lake bed where the people from the Mesolithic times, I said to a practiced shaman in stick magic and sacrifice. So all the ingredients are there, and everything seems to be linked. And you know, I'm not bending these stories George to fit a narrative. The it's just a it's perfect. It's like he's just fitted together. It's just I've found it fascinating.
Speaker 2: There's one of the stories that you come back to through the film. You go camping with these guys who had had an experience. You go back to the location this down in this ravine. It's almost pretty claustrophobic. They were down there, there's no way they could really get out in a hurry. But what did they see down there that just scared the Bejesus out of them.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, these are the guys that planned their wild camp. They do it two or three times a year. There was three of them, only two would go on film. And they contacted me, George. I mean, obviously I would not know these stories unless people had and I'll get into that. But momentarily, when Steve first contacted me, and he'll not mind me saying this, he broke down in tears. Nobody to speak to apart from Jim, who had witnessed it with him, and as he says in wolf Lands, he'd not even told his wife. And they drove from a place called Roderm, which would be about one hundred and thirty miles away, And they drove to a place and parked up at a place called Reesti Bank, which in essence, the word Reesti means rancid and disgusting play. There's nothing smelly about it. White's called that, I don't know. And then from there they went on foot into the forest of brocks A and descended into a ravine. It's a seven to eight hundred foot ravine. We've spent time down in there, as you said, And when they went in that night. They went in quite late, and they didn't know the correct route, so in some places they had to go down on the bottoms because it was so steep. There's actually another path where it's very steep, but you can still make access without doing that. Now, Witness number three, as we'll call him, hasn't gone on film. This is the interesting part for me, the more paranormal aspect to it, when they got down there and started setting up camp, because these guys weren't interested in unexplained phenomena. All they wanted to do. They were again the River dare Went, which runs in the bottom of this ravine. All they wanted to do was just relax and having an incredible weekend. There's three guys together just in the wilds, and Witness number three said, I don't like it. We've got to go. There's something watching now, Steve said. He said, it were getting dark. We'd already struggled to get down there, and there were no way we were getting up in the night. And he's getting more and more nervous, so to the point where they think he's gonna go on his own, he said. And then all of a sudden, he's the witness number three said, look over there, and in the darkness, the huge pair of amber eyes lit up. These eyes just glowing in the darkness. As Jim said, he said, no torch on them. The firelight wasn't illuminating them. And I went back on my own, you know. Well, I went back with a friend and we measured it. It was forty two feet away. I took a surveyor's tape, and because I had already camped in the area with these guys, I knew exactly where it appeared and where they were sat. And in the end, Jim and Steve were so concerned that their friend were going to go running off into the darkness that Jim stood up and walked towards this whatever it was. He said. It was about three off the ground, But he said, but the eyes were huge, as big as his fists, and human shaped and an amber, he said. And I couldn't think of an animal to assign these eyes to. Those were his exact words, he said. So I stood up, made a few hissing and showing sounds, and it disappeared. So I turned back round to the guys, to my friends, and suddenly their jaws they dropped, he said, and I realized something was wrong, he said, So when I turned back, he said, I just couldn't believe what I was looking at. He says, from being three foot off the ground, these eyes were now seven foot in the air, and I could see the outline of this. What they said was aware wolf, as crazy as that might sound for people. And you know, George, it's not just that. Steve said, if you'd have asked me to draw that aware wolf sketch it, I wouldn't have drawn that. He said. It was ridiculous. He said, everything about it looked ridiculous. He said. You could see these monstrous shoulders, he said, and I very so often it would turn to the right and they could see this muzzle that looked exaggerated so long, and Steve admits, and you know, I don't mind using the names, because these guys have been happy enough to go on film, and what they've said, what I'm saying now is nothing that they've not said on film. He said. He watched us all night, he said. In the end, he said, I wanted it to be over, and I wasn't bothered how it ended. It was so frightening, he said, I couldn't even look at it, yet I could still see the glowing eyes in my peripheral and he said it was absolutely terrifying. And daylight started to seep through, and it had gone, but had it gone because their friends said, it's still here. He's still here. And as they're packing the things up and walking out of the forest as hastily as they can, he's still telling them it's there. And then they got to a certain point in the forest, he says, we're all right now he's gone. And there's another element to that, George, that I didn't add during the night, when it was watching them, when they're all huddled together and frightened, Witness number three said, he doesn't want you here. It wants you to go. So that implies to me and Jimmy and Steve hadn't picked up on it and all that. And I know we'll never know, because I don't think they've spoken to him about It's troubled him so much that this thing somehow was communicating with him. He says, he doesn't want you to be. He wants you to go. Jim he says, he said in Yorkshire dialect, and the which means and you and the Steve it wants you to go. It doesn't want you here. So how did he perceive that? How did he know that that creature, whatever it was, was watching him. There's definitely some element that takes these things over and above your standard flesh and blood, bone and skin animal for me, And I know not everybody's going to agree, but that's the way I look at it. George.
Speaker 2: I'm going to play a little clip, one clip that you provided to us from the film. It's it's one of the witnesses. You can tell us a little bit filling some details on the other side of it, but we're going to play that now, Michael.
Speaker 4: So, as I'm settling down, I hear a noise over to the left. It's a good distance to where, twenty thirty meters away. I've heard this noise in the brush. It sounds like an animal, but it sounded like a relatively big something decent size.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then I've become aware that the atmosphere has changed sort of. I can't hear the waves anymore. I can't really hear any any wind, insect noises pretty much gone.
Speaker 3: It's just still.
Speaker 4: It's like someone's pressed pause. Then all of a sudden, I get an anxiety that's sort of started to come over me. I'm looking over to direction where the noise has come from originally, and I can hear something in that area, but it's coming towards me. It's I can hear a bubbom of sort of footsteps, but I couldn't pick any footsteps out, real heavy footsteps, really heavy. But it was the atmosphere that came with it. It was like it was like a train was charging at me, or a group of race orses. Something was coming towards me.
Speaker 3: Need to stress here. You don't come up in these areas and experience anything like this usually, no, never before.
Speaker 4: I've sat here all night long, not heard anything, not being bothered, not being nervous about anything. It's darker here, but that doesn't worry me at all. It's strange that something would bother me. But it was almost like the anxiety in me just switched on from where. I can't tell you proper fear. I was terrified. I was absolutely terrified.
Speaker 2: Well, you've heard that description from multiple witnesses that you interview for this film, as somehow these creatures tap into the brain into the flight or fight response, and the fear is exaggerated and immediate.
Speaker 3: Right, that's correct, As he says, he went from zero to ten. It's kind of in an instant. And anybody who watches the film and sees this guy, gazz that's his first name, will we'll realize that it's quite a formidable looking guy, a really nice man as well, to be honest with you. But he'd gone up to a place called Scolby Mills, which is on the edge of the North Sea, and he'd gone to tryumph film and get photographs of the Northern Lights. And it's a remote place, quite remote on this cliff top. And this is one of the instances where he didn't actually see anything, but this this terror impressed itself upon him. And as he says, he first of all, he could hear movement in the brush a distance away, and he's sort of focused on that, and then he can hear heavy footsteps, bipedal footsteps coming towards him. What the if would have played a little bit more of that, George would he would have said that when the fear hit him, this wave of fear, and he said, it was almost as though someone had pressed pause. I loved his analogy, he said, because the sound of the sea, the sound of the seabirds, and anybody who was looking near the coast who was listening to this will know that the seabirds don't switch off in the night, that they've got better eyes than owls, to be honest, George, They're absolutely amazing, flying everywhere. And he said, but everything stopped like someone had pressed pause, and he could feel this pressure in the air and this thing coming towards him. And he said, I dropped into the fetal position, and I expected to get whacked, was his exact words. He expected to get something was gonna hit him. As soon as he felt like it was upon him, everything just snapped back to normal, and the experience it was as if it had never happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy is a big, tough looking guy, and he says, I felt like I was a five year old kid. I was absolutely terrified.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more