Speaker 1: Cauzone Media. Hey, and welcome to you. It happen here. Today we'll continue our journey through Latin American anarchism where we last left off with a look at the anarchist history of Uruguay. We talked about Uruguay's general history. It's radical influences anarchism, this period of popularity in the early twentieth century, it's radical experiments and it's cultural influence. So today, James and I, because James is here, Hello, James.
Speaker 2: Hi Andrew.
Speaker 1: Today we're going to look at what Uruguaian anarchists have been up to from the fifties onward, paying special attentions the activity of the Ferracion Anarchista Uruguaya and the idea of especifismo. By the way, as James is indicated, I am Andrew Andrew Saige. You can find me on YouTube as Andrewism. But all that aside, let's get into it. The Feracion Anarchista i Uruguaya or FAU, was founded in Montevideo, Uruguay, in nineteen fifty six. According to Paul Sharki in Di Ferraci and Araquista Irauguaya, the FAU had very strong work in class roots, as many of the militants came from labor heavy districts like Zero, which definitely shaped their outlook. The FAU was also very much emphasized in direct action over electoral strategies. It favored armed struggle as a necessity in reaction to safer pression and economic exploitation, and the FAU had a very strong stance against Marxist Leninism. Although some members sympathized with aspects of Marxism, many of them resisted bureaucratic and authoritarian tendencies that influenced that milia. Unlike in many other Latin American countries, as you may have recalled us covering in the past, anarchism persisted in mainstream relevance even after the rise of the Bolsheviks and the Wents globally, and of course the coincide and fall of the anarchists in Spain. According to all of us Zenkos sixty five years of Revolution, the FAU came about in a time when uriquires prosperity coming out of World War Two had come to an end, as its agricultural exports were no longer needed to feed the Allies massive standing armies. This economic downturn triggered major social unrest which the anarchist presence was able to spring upon. One such instance of unrest involved one hundred and fifty thousand workers going on strike in solidarity with their fellow workers in a tire factory. During the strike and after, the FAU involved students, unionists, intellectuals, community organizers, and even a few exiles from the Spanish Civil War to build up a more united labor movement. So rather than having unions split along political ideological affiliations like moderates, socialists, anarchists, right populists and so on, there'll be one big tent just focused on labor. Now, I personally think a big tent has its benefits and its drawbacks, as with any other strategy. I think the benefit is obviously that it has the ability to mobilize a large number of people. But I think the difficulty in the drawback is it having so many affiliations under that big tent can mean it there's not really much of a shared goal left behind, Like, yeah, the anarchists want anarchy, the right populists might just want to secure some benefits and protections, and the socialists will be interested in launching a party. Sure they all proclaim to have some interest on the side of the workers or how that manifests looks different from group to group. But we'll see how that big tent approach turned out for the FAU. So they formed the National Confederation of Workers or CNT as that big tent in nineteen sixty four. But even before that there was a split, not too much of us as after the Cuban Revolution. The FAU is actually divided between those who were opposed to Castro and those who critically supported the revolution. Those who were opposed to Castro eventually broke away from the FAU in nineteen sixty three as Castro entrenched himself in the Soviet Bloc, while those who remained in the FAU were critical of Castro and his government but still supported the fall of Batista. Of course, with the Cuban Revolution came that very noticeable shift in American and foreign policy. They saw that with all that happening right in their backyard, they need to take a very different approach if they wanted to win the Cold War. Such a zign coo actually describes how in nineteen sixty one JFK changed the approach of the now infamous school of the Americas from preparing for Soviet invasion to preparing for anti communist counterinsurgency against homegrown revolutions. So as a result, militaries across Latin America became more right wing and seized power for themselves to protect civilians from the danger of their rights. In nineteen sixty four, it was Brazil. In nineteen sixty eight, it was Peru, in nineteen seventy three was Chile, and Uruguay fell, and in nineteen seventy six Argentina fell. So Zenko noted in jest. Over a decade, Uruguay and anarchists will becomes surrounded by right wing dictatorships which collaborated to round up and extillminate left wing dissidents of all flavors. Not to mention, the economic situation wasn't exactly getting better. According to Paul Sharky, between nineteen fifty five and nineteen fifty nine, the cost of living doubled and wages did not keep peace. By nineteen sixty five, inflation was running at one hundred percent, by nineteen sixty seven at one hundred and forty percent. Madness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, just wait and see Andrew.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we are living in some interesting times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you never know.
Speaker 1: So the president that preceded the military dictator imposed a wage freeze and devalue the currency. That was his bright idea, his solution to the crisis. So people's lives were obviously getting worse and the time had come for some decisive action. So the CNT aided in strikes across sectors, had even tried to call for a general strike as ale rights. The FAU decided that they were going to take on a strategy of urban guerrilla warfare, so they tapped into a coalition of leftist groups to robin hood food from the corporations to be able to the poor.
Speaker 2: Awesome, have just hit it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But sadly the coalition couldn't last very long. Differences in strategy would lead to the FAU doing its thing by in defense councils similar to those organized in the Spanish Civil War. Yeah interesting, while the other groups copied a Sheikwavara style gorilla army approach, forming the National Liberation Movement to Permeros or the mL and T.
Speaker 2: The existential debate among anarchists in arms is this that you've just like highlighted, right, it's need we form authoritarian structures similar to those using, for example, the Cuban Revolution, the Russian Revolution, these kind of statist revolutions which characterize the left in the twentieth century in some ways. Or is it possible for us to go from our community defense and the defense committees like the six person groups that the CNT organized in Spain to a more egalitarian large formation, like a like a truly revolutionary army, And like the split that you're talking about is the split that almost every movement has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although the MLANTE was necessarily anarchists.
Speaker 2: Right, they were like following the Castro model, is that right, Like the Shaghavara kind of guerrilla warfare.
Speaker 1: Doctrine, pretty much the Gravara sort of model.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Although I'm glad that you bring up this point because there's actually something that I was writing about earlier today and preparation for a video. I think there's a conflation that anarchists need to be careful with between leadership in the sense of authority, as in the right to command and control and that kind of thing, versus leadership in the sense of guidance, advice, coordination, expertise. Yeah, I think that just as that you might have. Even you might have an anarchist construction collective, right, and they're building a house, you might have something like a foreman who is coordinating all the actions and all the different builders and all the different treatment of engaging in to ensure that the different parts of the house come together cohesively and seamlessly, that nobody's like stepping on anybody's tools, that everything is being done in a proper time. And that is an instance where there will be coordination without necessarily having authority. It's just really a division of labor to ensure that the task that everybody is there to accomplish can be accomplished. And the person who is given that particular task within that division of labor is doing so by taking all that responsibility. But just as they have the responsibility, others will also have the responsibilities and that does not elevate them above the other people in that association, right, Yeah, And so kind of in the same way that you have that in a construction site, I think that that is the kind of approach we need to take in a military formation where the person who is you know, respected for their knowledge of military strategy or has the information or the expertise to be able to handle the planning of that approach, because we're all here to win, right, Yeah, We're all here to defend our freedom and to defend the freedom of the people we love. So there's no sense in splitting off into a bunch of different groups and failing out our task when we can come together where necessary to engage in the coordination of our strategy to improve the chances of our success. You know. And of course there is a vulnerability in times of warfare that we do have the knowledge because warfare historically is one of the times that is the most ripe for authoritaria and seizure and control. But because that vulnerability exists in those times is when I think we have to be extra vigilant of how that could potentially manifest. You know, we don't sacrifice our course and defense of the cause, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, because it's easy to do that. It's easy to be persuaded that this situation is unique and different, and therefore we need to accept some kind of compromise of the very essence of what we're doing. The method that like the people I have spoken to, both those within formations today in Rajava and most in Rejava, but also in the Emma and those for instance in the Eyeing Column, which was a FI column in the Spanishivil War. They're probably the most famous for leaving the frontline to attack the cops because they felt like they didn't have enough weapons and that the cops had too many. And what they did was that they created a concept of the minimum necessary discipline, discipline being something that one has for oneself, not the hunting that comes from above. And they had leaders who would lead in times of combat right when we needed to make swift and decisive action. There wasn't time to obtain consensus. They used consensus to arrive at those leaders. Those leaders were able in times of urgency to make urgent decisions, but that didn't confer to power or status outside of that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, It's just like in an emergency scenario, you know, somebody is, you know, leading a surgery for example, or leading a rescue operation. That doesn't mean that they're elevated above everybody else. It just means that they have the knowledge and the skills to accomplish that particular task and the others of their own free will. Respect that knowledge enough to go out with what the person is recommending exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that, yeah, that doesn't mean that that person is inherently capable of bossing you around, exactly.
Speaker 1: And I like the mention of discipline in particular because that really is the distinction, because he will talk about, oh, you need to have military discipline, how you supposed to have military discipline without blind obedience to authority, And sure, we're not going to have we're ever going to have discipline to the extent that soldiers are dehumanized and treated like cannon fodder as you would find in a traditional authoritarian military. But the discipline is derived from solidarity, is derived from the responsibility people have for each other, the capable have for each other within their formation, and the responsible do they have for their own actions as being part of that formation, and for how their actions will affect those around them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And I think that's something like you see it again and again when you read the column, the Deruty column newspaper, right, they talk about discipline and how we have to have a discipline comes from our commitment to our cause into each other, not from any fear of repercussions or like quote unquote disciplinary action, but from like the fact that we we don't want to let our comrades down, or do we want to let our course down, and like when people do do that. Right, there are It doesn't mean there aren't disciplinary reactions, but it means that those are like like you said before, you don't break away from the core of what you're doing. So they agree by consensus to include with the person who has done the thing that is considered to be wrong, what a suitable punishment would be or a suitable set of repercussions would be. So then it reinforces the idea of like consensus and like discipline coming from oneself rather than from fear of punishment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there is, of course the potential for processes to potentially become how do I want to put this? But what I will say is I think it's necessary. But even in engaging with those who have you know, broken trust, or who have seemingly split from the association or have jeopardized the safety and security of the association, that you find we used to deal with those situations on a case by keys basis. You know that you're responsive to the particular circumstances that cause that action that particular outcome, rather than as you would find in modern militaries, where you have like a very clear this action has this consequence, this action has this concert this action like a lot more flexibility is required because we understand that, you know, we don't have this matrix of crime that authorities do. You know, we're dealing with calm. They deal with crime, right, and so in dealing with harm, we have to approach each of these situations in the context of their situations rather than in some sort of cold, like distant calculation, you know. And I think in approaching it in that way, people are more willing I think, to fess up or to take accountability for their harm because they know that there's that relationship there that you're going to try to work through it that well, there may be many potential consequences to their actions. There's an openness to dialogue there rather than a rigidity of this is what you did, so this is the outcome automatically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is the latter is like a system that looks not at people but quote unquote crimes, right, and like this this is the opposite of a restored raative justice system which looks at people in the situation they are in and not just the worst thing that they happened to have done.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: We should return to South America and really once again diverted.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, although I feel like these digressions always get to something essential and brings out something extra to what I would have, you know, prepared in advance. So we had this split, right, we had the FAU and then you had the m L and T. And they did collaborate where there was common cause, but it wasn't a permanent collaboration, you know. And while this was taking place in the urban guerrilla warfare sphere, you had different things taking place in the labor movement. The FAU was dealing with the consequences of big tent organizing as they found that the Uruguayan Communist Party or PCU had pretty success, they claimed significant influence in the cnt SO. In response, according to Suzenko, the FAU created a rank and file alliance called the Combative Tendency, which pushed for more militancy and less bureaucracy in the union movement. Through that alliance, the FAU was able to accomplish a lot more outreach and action, but in return, the President of Uruguay introduced emergency laws executed by the military to counter the unrest. The revolutionary left continued to fight against military's involvement in civilian life and also formed a daily people called Ipoka. Then the government was like, stop, don't do that, that's illegal. And when the governments has stopped on that, that's a legal that means they put boots on the ground and you know, raided their offices. And so the people fell apart and the group's involved went underground, and like I said, the military raided their bases. But then when the FAU was like, let's get the band back together. Unfortunately, the other groups were too scared to resurface, understandably, and so because of that fear, the PCU kind of had a fall from Greece. You know, for a while they were big boys on campus in the CNT. But after the FAU kind of came to the forefront again and it was all its bravery and stuff, they kind of end up falling back. And you see, the PCU had chosen to appease the military because they believed that a leftist faction within the rounds the army might support their bid for power, kind of like what happened in the Russian Revolution, and so you know, they really thought they were cooking something, but as it saying goes, the store was not even on.
Speaker 2: Heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the military saw them as pretty much in signific so much so that while other leftist groups were facing severe oppression, the PCU was actually pretty much left alone. And so when the union rank and files saw that and tilling their backs on the PCU, they ended up turning their focus toward the combative tendency because at least they were doing radical and serious stuff. And so the unions were under attack from all sides, the police, the military, and even neo fascist gangs, and the FAU led combatitive tendency was focused on defending these workers' movements from those threats. According to Suzenko, the FAU held a secret congress and formed their own armed wing, the OPR thirty three, which, unlike other gorilla groups in the region, wasn't a top down organization. Instead, individual cells had the freedom to decide how they carried out missions and which actions it took part in. The FAU still set the overall strategy, but it wasn't about becoming some kind of Vanguard. Some of the actions bad the way, according to Sharki, included bank robberies and factory owner kidnappings.
Speaker 2: It's like old school Spanish anarchism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there were some old school Spanish anarchists within their ranks. Yeah, so it really can't be surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Drew, there's this wonderful line in Abel Pass's book about Ruti that de Ruti was very fond of children, so he risked his life robbing banks to fund their education.
Speaker 1: Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's such a wonderful Like, yeah, it's beautiful. Yeah, I don't know, I just enjoy it very much the whole Like you never know what direction that sentence is going to go in.
Speaker 1: That is a quintessential example of that. Yeah, I think. Yeah, so you know, you do what you have to do pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And like I think it's really like he wasn't maximalist for the sake of maximalism. He was maximalist for the sake of like educating children. Yeah, yeah, it wasn't it. He didn't see the violence as and ended.
Speaker 1: Itself exactly exactly. It had a reasoning behind it, and the FAU was the same way or Their reasoning was just that if the capitalist class was going to use force to protect their interests, then the workers should be able to use force to defend theirs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fannel and stuff.
Speaker 1: And so they did what they had to do. Meanwhile, the PCU was stuck to their policy of appeasement, which actually had a detrimental effect in the broader movement. As a military kept growing in strength, and so the very anti communist military's involvement in breaking up all the work activities embolden their role in politics. And then, once they defeated the m l n T, with the FAU struggling to resist isolated by the PCU's in action, the military to on the opportunity to coop the government, leading to the rise of Juan Maria Porterberi, the first president of the civic military dictatorship in nineteen seventy three. In the aftermath, the FAU made the tough call to move the operations to Argentina, which hadn't yet fallen to military distatorship. From there, they worked within the CNT to organize a massive fifteen day general strike. It shut the country down for a time, but it wasn't enough, and the efforts to keep up the fight were constantly undermined by the PCU, which still insisted on negotiating instead of taking real action. Meanwhile, the people were suffering. According to Sharky, between nineteen seventy one and nineteen seventy six, there was a thirty five percent fall in real wages, and by nineteen seventy nine inflation was running at eighty percent, with wages limping behind at forty five percent. So until nineteen seventy six, the FAU continued to work between Argentina and Uruguay, but after Argentina's coup that was it. The coach is Zenko directly. During the US's Operation Condo, dictatorships across Latin America continued coordinated to kidnap, torture, and murder leftists across the continent. Between sixty eight thousand and eighty thousand leftists were killed and more than four hundred thousand were placed in political prisons. End Court, Jesus and I think we need to sit with those numbers, because it's very easy to hear numbers like that and just think, you know, that's just a statistic. Pretty much, we hear big numbers on mine kind of goes statistic. Yeah, but to like think about the impact that would have for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people to be just taken out, whether killed or imprisoned, leaven like a keeping hole of knowledge, of experience, of education, of radicalism. Yeah, a country may take decades to recover from something like that. It's a cultural death in a sense. You know, this is the political movement, but it's kind of similar to how during cluingism, elders would be white out and with them all of their knowledge, all of their oral histories, all their languages, just wiped out in an instant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is different, of course as a political ideology as opposed to an entire culture and ethnicity, but it's still just a massive loss of all that history, all that experience, all that radicalism and information and just gone right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard for a movement to recover from that. Yeah, it's not like a genocide or like the colonial kind of you could call it a well, it's like a decapitation of the movement, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say it's more than a decapitation because it's not just like notable figures that were taken out or particularly influential thought leaders or anything. It's almost everybody. Yeah, anybody who had that fight in them, or had that radical knowledge or consciousness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone with any lived experience, all the things they'd learned, all the mistakes they'd made, learned from like a gone that the movement has to begin almost from like a blank slate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the history is basically raised in a sense, So all this left is really what they might have written down, yeah, which is obviously only a small portion of what they might have had to share with the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially in a movement that's been criminalized and pursued by the state, Right, Like what they write down is what they risk the state discovering, so that they're only going to risk writing any things down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And then you know, when you look at this, this this didn't just happen, you require, that's happened all over the world. In some cases, this massive wipeout of the anarchist movement took place even earlier, you know, in the nineteen hundreds, nineteen tens, nineteen twenties. But in all these cases, that loss is something that we are still in a sense recovering from. We kind of had to Sowy build back, but we still haven't ever reached in many places the height that aarchism's at at certain points in its history. It's certain parts of the wolf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean look at even like Spain still has a very strong anarchosyndicalist movement, right, but like the best of the anarchists died in Aragon, in Madrid and in concentration camps afterwards, or fighting in the Second World War, and like it took decades for that movement to recover, and it's still not as strong as it was. That this was one of the high.
Speaker 1: Points, especially when the legacy is so much erased. You know, when you look at how histories are taught everywhere in the world, you're barely going to get a mention of anarchism despite the massive role it pleaded in sheep in the twentieth century, nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been one of my constant things as a historian, is that like when people write histories today, they write them from the perspective of the inevitability of the state, and like, I'm not alone and make this analysis. David Graeber does it, Jim Scott did it, too. The idea is that people who exist outside of the state are behind and that they they have failed or chosen not to advance to the more advanced human existence that is a state. And Jim Scott does this in the art of not being governed, right Like, if we look instead as people who have chosen to refuse the state, then we understand anarchism as a choice that people would make knowing the options available to them, rather than a step backwards or failure to advance to the state. And we can look at a whole of history from that perspective and see it very differently, but most historians don't exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you've in commented this where people just kind of assume, oh, well, the anarchists lost, so that means the destined to lose. Yeah, they lost that particular fight. That doesn't mean the war necessarily lost. And additionally, states have lost too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the states continue to lose.
Speaker 1: States, state projects have lost, continued to lose, you know, the capitalist project, capitalist businesses, they lose, they fail. That doesn't mean that the project is destined to lose, destined to feel just means that particular iteration or that particular attempt was not able to succeed in all its ambitions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, as historians, we shouldn't be making that judgment, right, We should be attempting to learn from and document the past rather than to sort of categorize it into like failed and successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that too, because the standards, the standards of failure and success are often dictated by the standpoint of the status school.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's kind of like how the Heitian Revolution is spoken of as the only successful slave revolt or one of the only successful slave revolts, and the standard for success in that case is that they were able to establish an independent state, whereas other slave revolts in other parts of the world, including within the Caribbean, would have taken different paths. The Maroons, for example, their phone revolts was a withdrawal from the system that surrounded them, creating a pocket of resistance, isolating themselves. Same thing in Brazil we had Kilombo's, these settle ones that extracted themselves from the surround and oppressive structure and try to survive to the extent that they could.
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 1: All of them lasted, but nothing lasts forever, you know, Countries rise and fall, and so I think if we limit ourselves to just the example of Haiti, particularly in the context of success in a slave revolution, I think we miss out on a lot of those other examples and opportunities for inspiration and guidance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right. I think like it supplies to those of places. I think about it, Like, you know, I'm fortunate to have this like background in history, but also to be with people in their moments of revolution and to spend time with revolutionaries in the MR. And like, one of the analyzes that you'll always see is that, like this creation of liberated spaces is a not enough or be like there are also places within the non government though, and where there is still very strong control from a pseudo state. Right, But I think that overlooks the fact that, yeah, there are not like libertarian states, but people are living their lives without gods and masters, that they are like experiencing freedom in every moment, and they are liberated in their own lives as they continue to struggle to liberate territory in other people. That might be what success looks like, like that they are able to be self realized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just the psychological experience in itself, It kind of be under other stated or underrated, even if it's on that small scale of the individual, that's still valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like if we if we acknowledge that, it's much harder to go back, Like those people can't go back because they've existed in liberation, right, Like that that they've lived in a free way. Yeah, and like they will always know that freedom is possible, that they can live without authority, live with without state power, that that like liberation is a thing that can exist not just in our minds but in physical space.
Speaker 1: And like exactly they.
Speaker 2: Will always know that, Like that's that's available. And if we can tell those stories, so will other people.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, because that list something as we speak about so often. It's the need in the process of social revolution to help people's powers, drives, and consciousness. You do that by giving people both of course theoretical education and you know, share knowledge in that sense, but also through experience. Because I've used this phrase before, you can't put the gene back in the bottle. You can't go from experience in freedom to a situation of unfreedom and then shruggishulers and think, oh that's all they could have a be after you've experienced or to the status quo, you're not going to go back to thinking the status quo is all there is and all that could ever exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. We have to remember that when we're looking at these things, Like it's easy to look from where something ended and project that back, but we have to understand how it felt when people were doing it too.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So what kind of we kind of left on an on a somber chapter in the Uruguay's anarchist history, because unfortunately it was only after the fall of Uraguay's stutatorship in nineteen eighty five the anarchist militants were able to return to Uruguay and re establish the FAU in a fractured political and social landscape with greatly reduced numbers. Some of the former anarchists involved in the FAU created the People's Victory Party or PvP in exile, which had attempted to reorganize resistance efforts but also fell into some Leninist tendencies. But the main line, after you continue to focus on crassroots organizing, workers struggles and political education, it continues to be engaged in Latin Ercan anarchist networks, particularly with Brazilian and Argentine groups like the Ferrasau Anarchista Culture, the Ferrau Araquista KABOCLA, the Ferrachau Anarchista do Rio de Geraneiro, and the Argentine organization ALCA. Despite its past radicalism, the FU has shifted towards a broader approach integrating mass movements while retaining its equipment to anti authoritarian socialism. Since then and up to today, the approach has aligned with the practice of especifismo, which it developed to rebuild their strength in Iraguai and put movements. That approach has since been influential across Latin America and beyond, including North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania. I've actually spoken about a specifismo on this podcast before and on my channel, but to give a quick summary, a specifismo is an organizational approach guided by three key concepts. The first is the need for specifically anarchist organization built around a unity of ideas and praxie. The second is the use of the specifically anarchist organization to theorize and develop strategic political and organize and work. And the food is active involvement in and shaping of autonomous and popular social movement, which is described as the process of social in social as, Pacifists reject the left unity idea of a synthesis organization of revolutionaries or even multiple currents of anarchists loosely united, because they feel it boils down to the lowest common denominator politics. They feel that when this unity is preferred at any cost, it leaves little room for united action or develops political discussion if being described in a sense as an affinity group with the shared interest in the advancement of a very specific politic But they aren't just internally focused, you know. Specifismo is focused and build in popular power as a means of revolutionary transformation, rejecting both electoral and vang Goddess Marxist approaches. So the especifies more distinguishes between specifically anarchist political organizations or affinity groups and broader mass movements, and they advocate for anarchists creating the former and inserting themselves in the latter, building up anarchist presence and the presence of anarchist ideas in unions, in student groups, and in community struggles. So if you want a more in depth exploration of especifismo, I suggests reading the discussion between Philippe Corea and Juan Carlos Micoso called the Strategy of Specifismo on the Anarchist Library, and they talk about how the fragmentation of the working class undernoliberalism has created some very distinct challenges that require fresh organizational strategies and less dog batter critgity to simplistic class analysis. But they also speak for the need to coordinate and discipline and strategically engage anarchist groups within social movements, retaining the independence but engaging in their struggle. And they also end up in that interview discussed in the fause long term strategy as a process of resistance, rupture, and reconstruction. Resistance meaning that the strengthening crassroots organizations, direct action and ideological development. Rupture meaning that they're breaking away from canast institutions through revolutionary action, and reconstruction meanings they establishing new social relations based on self management and mutual aid. It's kind of similar to the way that I break down social revolution conceptually as an approach that incorporates both opposition and the proposal of alternatives. So I have been thinking about specifies more lately. I made that video many years ago, and my anarchist understanding has shifted a lot, especially recently. In going back and look at how I would have analyzed things previously, I think there's some different directions that I might take it and things in I think, for example, the idea of affidency groups engaging in social intution is extremely valuable in shifting the conversation within you know, these mass movements. But I also think that there's a risk in the ways in which a SPECIFIESMO, if not properly understood or conceptualized, could end up opening ground for cooptation towards some rather unanarchist outcomes. You know what I mean by that is, I think it's important one discussing a SPECIFIESMO to be very careful against the interpretation of it as some kind of vanguard as strategy, or way to dictate a vision of anarchy. I think that even if somebody is taken the pacifist approach in creating an effinency group organized around a very specific form of anarchism, that group should still be in conversation with different tendencies and engaging in an ongoing process of critique and convergence of ideas. I believe this is the sort of motivation between Malichesta's idea of synthesis and the Synthesis Federation in anarchist history. I'm still it in a bit about that, but anyway, I'd love to hear about you know what they are for you and an anarchists you require up to here. Now you know they can feel free to reach out to me. I have website now adressage dot org, and I wish them or power to all the people. That's it for me today. You can find me on YouTube and Patreon and this has been It could Happen here, Peace.
Speaker 3: It could Happen Here is a production of coolsone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.