Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots Podcast. I'm Joe Wisenthal.
Speaker 3: And I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: Tracy, I guess one good thing about market crow, I don't know if it's even good because I like when lines go up no matter what. But you know, people always say, oh, this can't go on forever, and they're talking about some specific trend or here's a scam or here's a bezel in the economy that will exist as long as the lines that go up. Things get revealed in a downturn, Things that were unsustainable are shown to definitively be unsustainable when the downturn hits.
Speaker 3: Right, what's that old buffet quote when you don't see who's swimming naked until the tide starts to go out. And I think, I think we are probably at that moment. And I got to say, in terms of who likes when lines go down, you know who likes when lines go down? Yeah, short sellars.
Speaker 2: That's right, they definitely do. Especially what it's been like fifteen years since the line has gone down, and so many short sellers have had such a brutal time. Maybe we'll put swimming naked in the headline of this.
Speaker 3: Instead of a dead body is floating to the top.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a little we'll have to figure out. Anyway, let's just jump right to it. We've had him on the show in the past, someone we always enjoy talking to. He is going to tell us about what bodies are going to float to the service, and those bodies happen to be naked too. He's gonna tell us what naked bodies are floating to the service. Jim Chaeno is founder of chenos In Company, longtime investor, short seller. Thank you for coming back on odd Lots.
Speaker 4: No, thanks for having me. It's my pleasure.
Speaker 2: I only recently learned that Scott Bessen. I say recently learned, as if I looked this up. I heard it from you as you were walking into the studio. He worked for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was my first analyst.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 4: I taught him everything he knew up to a point, I guess to a point.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I'm just going to ask basic questions to start. But what has the past week or so. Let's see, we're recording this on April ninth at eight am. Yeah, we have to be that specific on the time now because things change so quickly. What has the past week been like for you?
Speaker 4: Well, we're not in the business of running outside money anymore, so that ended a couple of years ago, but we do advise clients and of course run our own money. So since nineteen ninety six we've always been hedged. But we've seen obviously substantial alpha in the last couple of weeks. Ie, the stuff we're short has gone down much more than the market. We tend to be long in the market passively, and that usually happens right when the market shifts gears. A lot of the more questionable story stocks, frauds, hypes begin to underperform. And that was not the case until really about the tariff, the Liberation day, and now it's really kicked in.
Speaker 2: If I'm a equity, if I'm an asset allocator, is that why I allocate to someone who specializes in short selling, Not because they are going to give me positive returns a month after month after month, but that it allows me to be more comfortably long risk assets in my other investments because I have this knowledge that I'll get outside return outside returns from you when they go down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in our business model over forty forty years. Basically it morphed into the idea that fundamental shorts allow you to be more long. Yeah, and that's really at the end of the day, your shorts are financing your long portfolio. If your shorts don't go up or go down, enables you to have a long portfolio that actually will outperform. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is true that before this month, being a short seller did not seem that fun for like the past ten years, and we've done episodes on the hard life of being a short seller. Are the games now enough to offset like a decade of lines going up?
Speaker 4: Well, again, the lines are going up. But it was all a matter of if you're selling insurance as I was and advised people do do now, the idea is the insurance working, and the insurance was working really for even post global financial crisis for quite a while, and then starting about twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and right into the Game Stop episode in the first quarter of twenty twenty one, it didn't work at all. But it has worked since Game Stop and even though the market's made new highs, you know, recently, I think is January, the short site has not been too bad. I mean, Bloomberg has an index the most shorted basket, which you can take a look at if you're a Bloomberg subscriber. Thank you for the plug, my pleasure, and it has it has done relatively well relative to the market since since early twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about some areas of the market. Let's just jump right into it. I think actually the last time we had you on I'm looking at this was FTX November or was it it wastually That's.
Speaker 3: Right, it was actually before FTX imploded officially, but after we did the infamous box episode.
Speaker 2: But you know what, the last time we talked to was November twenty third, twenty twenty two, right as FTX was uploading. But there's just another point in the history here that's important. November thirty of twenty twenty two was when chaed GPT came out, and then we got this incredible AI wave and people started piling everything into Nvidia and all these data center plays, et cetera. And in previous odd lads, and I don't remember what that was. You've talked about data centers before. In some brutal data center economics are terrible. One of the things that we've seen in this downturn. See I'm putting this all together. This is not totally incoherent. One of the things that we've seen in this downturn is some really like sharp reversals for the big AI plays that were baked. Those were just so hot. And so I'm curious now, like you know, you've talked about data centers, et cetera, tell us where you're seeing some of this stuff right now.
Speaker 4: So the AI bet is an uncertain bet. We don't know what the returns on this massive investment is going to be yet, and even the mag seven will tell you, yeah, well it's uncertain. We think it's going to be worth the risk, but it's an uncertain payot and I'll leave that up to people who are much more well versed in technology than I am. Our view was that the old legacy data centers that were built to basically handle the cloud, not AI. We're in trouble and we're a bad business to begin with. It have gotten only worse. And that was that was the bet. It's still the bet. I think it's a really I've called it one of the worst business models I've ever seen. Because the cap x is enormous. You've got to keep replacing the air conditionings and the racks and the networking equipment and to keep these centers running, and the returns on capital are just abysmally low. So we kind of said, oh, right, AI is a thing. It's an uncertain thing. Market loved it. Now market's questioning it. But we do know that the old data centers, the ones that have been around now twenty years, yeah, Equinas to Digital Realty, Digital Bridge, those have really challenged business models.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that happened recently is Core We've did its IPO and it had initially targeted two point seven billion and it came in at one point five five billion. And the interesting thing to me is part of that was a really big order from in Vidia, and in Vidia is very interwoven with Core weaves model. Since we're already talking about floating bodies and people swimming naked, I'm going to try to be as distasteful as I can, but how incestuous is the relationship between Core Weave and Nvidia.
Speaker 4: So for those of us that are a little bit older than you two, I mean, we remember some of the round tripping that was going on in telecom equipment back in nineteen ninety two thousand, with Nortel and Lucent providing financing for its customers and then selling things into those customers on cheap terms, and the whole thing unwound very quickly when the dot com bubble and telecom bubble imploded. I put a tweet out that got some notice where I saw it in Nvidia not only was doing the core weave kind of just but had just bought a distributor there, and that that was also a little worrisome. Now, it's only a small part of their business, it's not material. But when you start to see this stuff on the margin, where the companies are increasingly round tripping with their customers, or financing their customers, or buying in their inventory via distributors, you begin to wonder. You know, if it's just on the margin, that's fine. But as we all know, on the margin is everything right. If you miss your earnings by a couple of pennies, your stock can be devastated. And if they're doing deals like this to basically, you know, make sure they make or beat numbers, you know, then we have the old We have the old nineteen ninety eight, ninety nine, two thousand, dynamic at work where companies are stretching to make numbers. That has not been the case up until now. Right through twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four, demand's been amazing. Yeah, blowout numbers, but it's something to keep an eye on at the shift.
Speaker 2: So in other words, like the insinuation here is not that there's something like per se bad, but history says that when you see stuff like this, to keep the.
Speaker 4: Real aggressively aggressive aggressive moves with your customers and your distributed.
Speaker 2: Because that's what everyone's been wondering, right, And I guess like all of this stuff with the trade turmoil has like like we actually it's kind of amazing because I think we've gone two weeks without talking about AI, which may something maybe it's something that we could be a little bit thankful for in some sense. But we're the trade trade war to go away tomorrow. Yeah, and we were returned to what we were talking about in January.
Speaker 4: I saw your post earlier today about if tariffs run away like this and all the other stuff that is suddenly should.
Speaker 2: Be a concern.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I look on the margin again, on the margin I think these numbers are not material that they're deal with Core Week the distributor their bought, but it's something to keep an eye.
Speaker 2: On, Tracy, I just want to do, by the way, some of these names are just for listeners digital realties below. Where it was like at its twenty twenty peak, after having plunged from about one ninety five to one thirty three, named Cornweave was actually just slightly above its IPO price of forty That was a czy day. It's anging in the the said forty one thirty five right now. So anyway, So one.
Speaker 3: Of the things that happened in the early two thousands with the telecoms and Internet bubble is I think people a lot of people expected some of these companies to fail, but I guess the bet was maybe a handful of them would be huge winners from the development of the Internet. And it's true. You know, we have like Google come out of this. If you invested in Amazon, you made a lot of money. Is there any possibility of that happening when it comes to AI. Do you see a winner?
Speaker 4: Oh? I mean, I think there's going to be a lot of winners if it's as revolutionary as a technology as it appears to be, we'll see all kinds of new business models and probably a company that we might know, like in video where ever succeeding, or maybe a couple of companies we don't know yet that we'll take advantage of it. The flip side to be the glass half empty guy, is that what everyone also forgets about the Internet was that it destroyed as many businesses as it brought forward, you know, and any business that was in the analog business that went digital, so you actually had a physical product that went digital was absolutely devastated, like Kodak or Blockbuster Video or the Yellow Pages, what have you. And I suspect that AI will be very similar. We'll see just you know you're a hater. No, No, I'm open minded about it. I think if it really is an amazing technology, and I think it just you're going to have to see both sides of the coin for capitalism with it. It'll probably it'll probably devastate a number of business models as well.
Speaker 3: What's the path to bundetization for these AI companies, because you already pointed out the cost of capital is really high.
Speaker 4: Uh, I don't know, and that's we still haven't seen the the aha moment as we did with the Internet, with with online retailing and communities like America Online where suddenly you know your aunt was on it, and then getting email money and paying money, paying money for it and getting emails.
Speaker 3: And you have mail.
Speaker 2: Let's pivot because you have been fond over the years to talk about this sort of myth that private equity is something more than just adding leverage to companies and that there's this perceived stability. Yeah, it's very nice. You don't have to look at your marks every day that it really is just leverage. And you know, I'm looking at a share price. The shares of like Apollo, for example, I guess maybe the Good Credit that was at one eighty nine thirty on December ninth, that's at one oh nine. Blackstone shares look pretty similar. We're talking like forty percent declined air that was at two hundred. It's at one eighteen right now. That's belower it was in late twenty twenty one. Private assets are like the story that Tracy and I keep coming back to. What is your takeaway from this, like really intense selling of these names.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm a little surprised at how intense the selling has been so quickly. But look, I mean, I agree with with the cliff Asnas who's done a great job talking about this. This is volatility laundering, and the idea that these funds don't have the same risks as equity funds have is to me preposterous. You're buying businesses on leverage, and we're now seeing that as it's becoming increasingly hard for these deals, for them to bring these deals public or get exits. And again on the margin, you're seeing a little bit of odd behavior some of the private equity funds in trying to entice their investors to stick around. We'll have to see. I mean, up until now, for the last fifteen years, getting back to the beginning of our conversation, sell offs have been relatively short and sharp. So if you held off on marking your portfolio down, you generally were rewarded by not having to take the mark right. The markets kept going, and the nightmare scenario for private equity and arguably private credit will be a long period of lackluster or no equity returns with higher interest rates.
Speaker 2: Can you actually just when you said, oh, at the margins, we're starting to see some jinky behavior with regards to their partner LPs. You what's going on.
Speaker 4: There was a story I think on Bloomberg just yesterday or the day before where one of the funds was asking investors if they wanted to sell their LP investment in one of the funds or transfer it, they had to get permission from the GP. In order to get permission, they had agree to put money into the next one. And that story caught my eye, And so you know when you start to see that, And now we're starting to see time series of fun performance that are starting to become more lackluster right rolling ten year returns and private equity are beginning to converge with that of the regular equity market.
Speaker 3: To your point about the length of the selloff, I mean, we've established that one of the competitive advantages of doing private credit versus public is you're not forced to take the marked market losses so soon you can hold on for longer. Theoretically, we're seeing a lot of people right now talk about, you know, emergency moves from the Fed, maybe a cut sooner than the market had expected a week or two ago. Do interest rates matter for private credit at the moment? How much of a buffer for what lower rates actually provide.
Speaker 4: Here. Well, I think spreads matter, okay, so and we've seen we've seen them widening out of credit spreads. So I think that one of the reasons people think the FED is going to ease is because of that right weakness, not not because of low inflation. And so you're seeing a relatively very quick increase in credit spreads over the past two weeks. I mean, it's really moved. So I don't think that that that's the panacea that people are expecting, at least not yet. Even with a FED ease, because junk credit is rates are going up.
Speaker 2: Right, they could the FED could do something just about like the sheer mechanical breakdown. If it's happening the plumbing, the plumbing people love to talk about the plumbing of the treasury market.
Speaker 4: The base is straight. I read something. I read something today about the basis.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you for reading.
Speaker 2: Listen, pause right there, listeners. Jim Chandos is a reader of the Odd Launch newsletter, which means you should be to what is it What does a GP of a private fund do when the IPO window is slammed shut when there really is not a lot of M and A. So basically very few opportunities for liquidity or distribution or anything like that. What kind of move do they make?
Speaker 4: You? Better? Better practice your writing of a heartfelt apology letters to your LPs, because the IRRs you've been telling them that the fund has been getting prior to its wind up are going to turn out to be way overstated to the actual returns. So look, it's it's problematic. I mean, investors are going to get back stakes in private companies that they might not want. Oh so distributions in kind, yeah, exactly, and so if you can't cash out and so yeah, I think it's going to be problematic for a number of funds. I mean, I'm sure there'll be plenty that'll do fine. But the days of saying, well, I'm going to earn fourteen fifteen percent with very little volatility, so this is a free lunch, I think are over.
Speaker 3: The other narrative that pops up from time to time is this idea of dry powder. There are a bunch of funds out there who have been holding cash for a long time, just waiting to snap up distressed assets once everything finally crashes. Is that real?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean, you have to get into the sort of weeds of every specific fund, but I mean, if they've been holding cash for years and years and years, they certainly weren't earning that fourteen and fifteen percent investors were hoping for. So I don't know, I don't know how the accounting works on that, but I'm sure. Look, there is some unused capacity in the private equity world. But on the other hand, that doesn't get you your returns. You know, buying companies and adding value to them is where the returns are. So if there were funds and firms holding dry powder and asset prices get marked down a lot, that should be good thing for them.
Speaker 2: It just seems I mean, the issue to me, and I've sort of talked about this in various ways, is that for the last fifteen years, you're a dummy if you had dry powder, right the market has told you over and over again, right like, So this is why I'm always kind of skeptical that there could even possibly be much And it's interesting, you know, look like we're like two weeks into or no, it's been a week since Liberation Day, but you go a few weeks before that obviously the weakness started picking up, and now we're seeing you know, we've seen this sort of dislocation and treasuries. It seems like if you have fifteen years of people telling you you're a moron for holding, for being under levered, Yeah, then a downturn in just sort of normal investments can metastasize into financial problems very quickly.
Speaker 4: Well, it also depends, tracy, how you define dry powder. A lot of firms defined dry powder as the ability to capital call on their limiteds. It's not actually cash sitting in a bank acount. Yeah. Yeah, and I think that will become much more problematic in a downturn.
Speaker 2: I've got to pick up the phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, look, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: You're primarily a markets guy, but you are no stranger to Macro. Talk to us a little bit about I guess the relationship between what we're seeing in markets and the real economy right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the transmission mechanism via tariffs will happen pretty quickly, I think. I mean, you saw Walmart warn today, Delta has pulled their guidance. Both of those were just today. I mean, it's kind of stunning. How if you think about the nuts and bolts of these tariffs and how they work. Despite what our president says, the importing entity pays the tariff, right, it's not a tax on China. And so you're a small and medium businessman. You just got one hundred thousand dollars worth a product that landed at Long Beach Port from China, and your broker is saying, yeah, just come down with a cashiers check for one hundred thousand dollars for the governments and will release your product. Businesses don't have that, yeah, And so I mean there's practical aspects these tariffs that I don't think we kind of know all the implifications and how it will ripple through the economy. And I suspect you'll start by May getting some pretty decent real time feedback on from businesses saying, you know, we're cutting out profit guidance because if they can't pass it on completely, and study after study shows they can't, usually then profit margins, which, by the way, let us not forget all right, all time highs are going to hit an air pocket.
Speaker 3: We have seen some companies pulling their forward guidance already, right.
Speaker 2: Jack, Yeah, Delta, Delta this morning, Walmart, Walmart when their chart came out. When Donald Trump pulled out the chart on Liberation Day and the market immediately tanked. The view from a lot of people is like, if people actually understood the size of what's what these numbers are, the market would be a down lot more. Do you stands? And again, anything could happen by the time there's but on April ninth that there is still an element of disbelief that this could actually be where our turn.
Speaker 4: Oh. I think there definitely is a level of disbelief. I mean the stock market is still twenty times latest twelve month earnings, and I mean they're coming down, but people still think earnings are going to be up ten percent this year. And I don't know what planet they're on, and so I think that that that's number one. And the size of the tariffs was stunning. I remember it was watching the press conference after the market closed, and I don't have the best eyest in the world. I had to get close to the TV to make sure.
Speaker 2: Reading the numbers show was that fifty or five percent?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that says a lot like the idea that it could be fifty or five percent at all is pretty nuts. The point you were making about profit margins, I think is really important, and a lot of the macro impact of the tariffs depends on how corporations actually react to the tariffs. Do they choose to absorb the additional costs themselves or do they pass it on to customers. What's your sense of flexibility there? And then more generally, where do you see inflation going from here? Because obviously there is tension between prices going up in the immediate term because of the tariffs and demand being destroyed and US getting deflation.
Speaker 4: I think Walmart's warning this morning was maybe instructional in that they went out of their way to say that they were pulling their profit guidance, I believe, but told people that their revenue growth guidance was still intact for this year, which seems to me to imply that they're not going to pass on these tariffs since they get so much other stuff from China, right eat it, They're going to eat it, and because otherwise they would say, well, we're going to hike prices fifteen twenty percent and our revenue is going to be up fifteen to twenty percent. They didn't say that, they said three to four percent, but margins. You know, we don't know on margins yet. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is really important because I think if you were to go back six months ago, before the election, so much of the TERRORFF conversation was this very simple minded what does it mean for inflation in the FED? And now the sort of deeper question of like, are you uniquecapping corporate profitability in America and what does that mean for all these different I.
Speaker 4: Think that's the bigger risk that inflation.
Speaker 3: If you remember the past few years, the reason we had record corporate profits was because companies were able to pass on inflation to customers. The whole price over volume idea that we've been talking about.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about a guy, uh Elon Musk. For many years, you were famously the BFF, your BFF, Elon Musk. We did an episode recently with Nick Denton, founder of Gawker Media, and he said he said, he said, the fall of Elon Musk is a story that a new journalist should come out of retirement for it may be the biggest story of our lives. He's been pronounced, you know, done dead many times, and Tesla is always is this different this time? In your view, I don't look.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's tied himself to the administration in a way that is frankly kind of to me amazing and shocking at the same time. So he is tied tied now politically, you know, in a way that he never was. That's number one. But to me, Tesla is beyond Elon Musk. Tesla is a real sort of benchmark stock for me because of the way in which Elon effortlessly sells the story of the future to investors. And I've always said, I've always said that in bull markets, people put a premium on promises, and in bear markets, they put a discount on reality. And this is a stock that's still there's a handful of others that's still traded, you know, forty fifty times revenues, where people still believe, they still believe in the promise of robotics and AI and robotaxis. And he's captured the imagination of a whole set of investors, particularly retail investors, who just are rabid with the idea that this is the company of the future. And so that's number one. Number two, I mean, ultimately he's going to have to deliver on these promises, and because you know what the car business he's got right now, ain't all that Margins are imploding, profits are down now for three or four years in a row. He's going to have down, I think down sales this year in terms of units. So I remember when the es is where we're all going to be driving Tesla's in twenty thirty, right, that's not happening. And so it'll be curious to see when the robotaxis are rolled out this summer in Austin. How exciting is that? And then of course you know the big one is we're all going to have you knows, Rosie the robot from the Jets in our house doing our tasks from Tesla. And again, I being the skeptic, I think I don't see the robotics, the humanoid robotics market being a whole lot different from the car market. Right, it's utility. People will have one. It'll be thirty to fifty thousand dollars, there'll be fifteen companies making them, and margins will be it'll be a manufacturing margin business. You know, cars have tons of software and them tons of chips in them. They're amazing utility for the consumer, but they're cars. They have a low margin and a lot of people make them, and I think it's going to be the same with robotics.
Speaker 3: I always wonder how much rope the tech believers are giving companies to fulfill their promises. And I remember I asked Kathy Wood about this, like what is her time frame for actually making a profit. Because there's a premium on good stories. You can keep selling a good story for a pretty long time and a certain set of investors will believe it. What's the catalyst for that actually starting to change?
Speaker 4: Well again, I mean I think that the number one, interest rates have a big determined on those kinds of stories, because if we believe at least some of the rudiments of finance, you're willing to you're willing to pay more for profits and cash flow ten years in the future than when rates are higher. That's number one. And for all these companies like this, ninety five percent of the value is in the terminal value. That's number one. Number two, it's look, it's castles in the sky. I mean in bull markets. People believe these stories and that's as old as human nature. And when things get get tight, I mean we kind of forget Tesla was one hundred dollars a couple of years ago, down from five hundred, and it dropped eighty percent in twenty twenty two. It varies.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty two feels like a long time ago. All right, I want to talk about ELON, but from a different angle for a second. When DOGE was announced, yeah, people didn't really know what it was, and then like it sort of start over. Once it started going, it looked like, oh, these cuts like have these moves have not seem to have any rhyme or reason other than decapping the federal government. And a lot of guys are like, look, I'm all in favor of cutting waste, but I'm not so sure about this anyway. I was probably one of those guys. I'll cop to it. But we did an episode a while back with this professor at Boston University on Medicare fraud, and I thought to myself, Okay, if there's one area that maybe some of these cracked data scientists could go into and find some evidence and really like make some efficiencies and so forth, this would be Medicare. However, this week I saw a headline that says health insurers cheer increase of Medicare advantage payments. I don't know what Medicare advantages yet. I know I'm supposed to look this up. Health insurers that offer Medicare advantage plants. The seniors cheered a Trump administration's decision announced Monday to increase federal reimbursement rates by twenty five billion dollars next year. What's medicure? This is in the Albanion Times Union. What is Medicare advantage? Why are they cheering this?
Speaker 4: You're asking the old guy, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think it's because you know about these companies very well. And what does it say that the reimbursement rates came in so much higher than expecting? Joe?
Speaker 3: If you if you watch cable news, you would know all about Medicare advent.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes you would. So I tweeted out when Doge started out, I said, if they don't go after Medicare advantage, you know right away then you know they're not that serious, Okay, And so that kind of tells you where I'm coming out on this. Medicare advantage has been just a windfall for the insurers. It's it's basically for people that are eligible for Medicare. It's supplemental, and it's also all it can be all inclusive, meaning that you you you have a carrier treat you for not only that which Medicare covers, but but additional things. The problem becomes it's what we call upcoding, and that's where the fraud has occurred because the government has will give Medicare advantage carriers a tiered set of payments depending on how sick their patient is coming into the program. So, you know, I could be relatively healthy. I don't know how they're going to code me when they go to the government for their reimbursement to say, mister chaenhas is very sick and blah blah blah blah. So we get, you know, X thousand dollars from him per year as opposed to y thousand dollars for him per year. And that's that's a big problem. There were some public companies that were purely in Medicare advantage that we were short, and a lot of them were bought up by companies like CBS and others, and we just couldn't believe it because if you did any kind of due diligence on these companies, you realize that they were they were upcoding.
Speaker 2: I guess implicitly, if you're shorting them, that's a bet that someone takes this issue seriously in the public sector. And it looks like at least here's a guy who came into cut spending and he now we're.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're going they're going after the small stuff, they're going after the I'm a bear on DOGE. I mean they they they're going after the political stuff. They're going after this ridiculous thing from two weeks ago about the number of Social Security numbers going to you know, illegals and and things like that. This is all political theater and and the real the real cuts are are in areas that that they haven't touched. And so we'll have to see. But it didn't get past me. That Musk basically now is all but saying he's going to be gone from DOGE in May. You know, he four months and so and Vivic never got going. And so I think that that this is they're finding out that what they thought was fraud in ways, it's turning out to be, you know, authorized programs that you might not agree with politically, but we're authorized, right and and and need legislative prescriptions. So I think they're not even going to come close to their target of a trillion dollars and two trillion dollars. I think that's just pipe dreams.
Speaker 3: I completely forgot about Vivek, but you're right he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he didn't didn't even get to day one. Yeah yeah, Jim.
Speaker 3: Hopefully you won't mind me asking this question, but I think it's fair to say you are a financial markets veteran. You've seen, You've seen a lot of stuff happen over the years. Are there any historical parallels or analogies to our current moment in time?
Speaker 4: No, I mean, given what's driving markets as we sit here, I don't think we've ever seen anything like this where where a global hedgemond has willingly said I'm going to basically shoot myself in the foot and get rid of the exorbitive privilege that we've had as being the global hedgemon with the reserve currency. They're trying to dismantle that as we speak, and I think that just has all kinds of impacts that none of us have lived through. So we'll have to see unless it gets reversed. And so I don't know what the you know what the analog for this is we're just gonna have to let everybody else take it day by day. But you know, the idea that that that markets are now going to react to you know, tweets, and as as someone I follow said, you know, this is still a vibes market, not a math market, and and and that as it relates to the equities, And I think that's well said. I think that that this stuff just goes back and forth, and I think that's kind of no way to run an economy and no way to run markets.
Speaker 2: That was a great place to leave, But I'm gonna go end on like a more boring question on the medicare advantage stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and all these.
Speaker 2: People can come in here and talk to us about upcoading and a fraud. Where did in your view when you've looked into this and why these companies end up getting bought out in the short stonn't work. Where is the force coming from that prevents whether it's the you know, HHS or whatever, from actually taking.
Speaker 4: There, So there's actually there's actually arms of the government.
Speaker 2: This isn't like none of this was like new. Why why does it in your view? Does it not get addressed?
Speaker 4: I don't know. And you know, I've called this the Golden Age of fraud, and and you know, it just seems that that we have a willingness in the corporate sector and elsewhere, and in the nexus of government and corporate of just not holding people to account for this stuff in the white collar crime area. And and I think medicare is is just a wonderful example of that in the in the our budget, the federal budget. And so the fact that that they haven't even gone after this or addressed this yet for DOGE is really telling to me, because it's there. It's it's low hanging fruit. And you know, if you look at the if you look at the ten k's of these companies that we were short, I mean there's there's criminal investigation after state level investigation listed in their legal proceedings, and yet most of them, when they get caught, they pay a fine and nobody goes to jail. And it's so disgusting.
Speaker 2: Even if they reversed as trade tradery, there's so much rot. I'm so angry right now. Jim Chandos, thank you so much. This was a very satisfying episode. I found this very fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you for coming in therapeutic.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming on oblains my pleasure, Tracy. I love talking to Jim.
Speaker 3: Yes, although that was bleak and I had.
Speaker 2: To say, you know what, you know what, Yeah, it's bleak, and but Jim knows ball and I enjoy talking to a ball nowhere like Jim.
Speaker 3: I have to say for our listeners, I rarely see Joe in a bad mood, and he is actually in a bad mood this morning. Usually Joe has to put up with me being cranky.
Speaker 2: And yeah, did we switch this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think we switched. No, but I mean it's bad. I feel bad too, And it is just crazy to think that one man could end it all with just a simple announcement or even like some words of comfort and indication.
Speaker 4: Cool, be cool.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately, when I hear the words term be cool, I just think of the scene in pulp fiction everybody be cool. I'm not going to say the rest. Yeah, he said be cool. It didn't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if only he did something or said something at the very least, we could all go back to worrying to your point about AI and yeah, stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shall we leave it there, Let's leave it there.
Speaker 3: This has been another episode of the Odd Thoughts podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy al.
Speaker 2: And I'm Jill Wisenthal. You can follow me at The Stalwart. Follow our guest Jim Chanos, He's at Real Jim Chanos. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carmen armand dash Ol Bennett at dashbot In, Kale Brooks at Kale Brooks. More odd Lots content, go to Bloomberg dot com slash odd Lots, where we have our daily newsletter and all of our episodes, and you can chat about these topics twenty four to seven in our discord Discord dot gg slash od Lots.
Speaker 3: And if you enjoy odd Lots, if you like it when we talk to veteran investors like Jim Chanos, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely add free. All you need to do is find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcasts and follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening, Benea