Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: The NBA playoffs are heating up. Man, they have been so good. I know it's over, but Lakers Nuggets may have been a five game series.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: Nicks sixers amazing. Why don't you sign up for the DraftKings sportsbook app takes ninety seconds the official sports betting partner of the NBA. If you're in DraftKings. Once you sign up, you got to check this out. New customers bet five bucks to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets instantly great proposition right five bucks get one hundred and fifty bucks. Download the DraftKings sports Book app. The codes colins co l I N. It's me co l I N really quick, really easy. If you've never bet sports before, check it out. Really makes the games fun. The code is coling. New customers get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus best by betting five only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario one. No sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing bet. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue. Ince See dkang dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Jason temp podcast as Hoops Tonight. Ant is spectacular, Like I always felt this about and I'm not saying he's Jordan, but he has some Jordan qualities and that's okay. Mahomes, you know they're talking about Caleb Williams has Mahomes qualities. Yes, he does. All the scouts as say, hey, he plays like Patrick Mahomes. There are things about Aunt, but the most Jordan thing about him is I remember watching Jordan against Phoenix in his prime and I was still on the couch with a friend watching it, and I'm like Okay, he's not the best shooter, the best ball hand, he's not the quickest guy in the league, and he's six to six. Why does it look like he's like the only Division IE player playing at the hy Like it's like it. He makes it look so easy. Ant gets past people on the first step. These are NBA athletes. He just gets past everybody. So when you watch it on TV, I don't think you would appreciate it. The ability to always everybody knows where he's going. He loves the first step. He sizes you up. He makes the game look easy. Mahomes does this, Jordan did this. You're like, why how I'm watching Aunt? And even against good offenders. I mean Jamal Murray switched off to him one time. I'm like, this is not even competitive. Murray's a world class athlete. I mean, you've been in gyms with guys. But I look at this and I'm like, when guys start making thirty eight points look easy, there's about three in the league one time that can do that. Maybe one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's athletic and then there's athletic among the athletes. It's like an entirely different stratosphere, right, And like that's kind of to me the difference between like a Jason Tatum and an Anthony Edwards. Like Jason Tatum is a very good NBA athlete, like a but like like like he's in the he's close to that, like truly transcendent. But there's clearly a difference between ant sizing up an elite defender and beating him off the dribble and Tatum doing the same thing. It's like that next level of elite, top tier athleticism. Honestly, I regardless of what happens the rest of this series, and I do think Denver is gonna be gonna pull this out now. I think they've effectively just rendered Minnesota's offense useless and and they're gonna go home, and I think they're gonna win Game five. And the biggest thing, too, is like Minnesota hasn't been particularly competitive in either of these games, which is which is a major concern, right, But like, no matter what, it's very clear that Anthony Edwards is here to stay. I think he's the next guy in that like line of truly transcendent great American basketball players, Like it went from MJ to Kobe, and it went from Kobe to Lebron, and like, there have been guys along the way that have had their little moments, but nobody that really had the potential to take over the league for a long time. And can't you just see it, Colin, can't you just kind of imagine what the next ten years are like for Ams? You could just kind of imagine him continuing to ascend and getting better and better. I started to think tonight, like like, if it could have pulled this game out, it could have been one of those transcendent moments you think about, like you know Lebron in like two thousand and seven or two thousand and eight kind of thing. And honestly, like Denver's just too good. That's really all it is. Like Lebron ran into the O eight Spurs and got swept. So like, at a certain point, it doesn't matter how good you are at that phase of your career. It is a team sport. And like, literally, while all of his veteran teammates were falling apart, he was continuing to ascend. It was really impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and this is appropriate. Jordan couldn't get through a fully formed Pistons or Celtic dynasty, so I mean, Denver's fully formed, they have the experience, they're better offensively, they have Minnesota's length. So again, this is the way it works. It's the baby steps. He comes in, he pushes and makes a Denver you know, step back. They got hit in the gin. Oh we got you know, they dazed the champion and they lost. That's what happened to Jordan. That's what happens to Lebron. So to me, this is totally appropriate. We are amazed by the individual player, but they still have tweaking to do. I mean, we all know what Minnesota's gonna do in the off Season's probably gonna move Carl Anthony Towns and they're gonna get They're gonna get more offensive players. I mean, eventually Jordan needed Pippin and Kerr, you know. I mean, like they don't have to be a nightly great player, but you do have to find players that take something off Ant's plate a little bit.
Speaker 4: There has to be Minnesota should go after KD.
Speaker 2: It's not terrible because again the great gift of KD. You can give him the ball eight seconds in the shot clock four, He'll get a great look. Doesn't need you know, it's a little Klay Thompson, but obviously much better. He doesn't need the ball in his hands. Why that's why the Jalen Brunson Katie works. The emotional part of Katie to the Knicks TIBs that style. You know, is he willing for it. Let's pivot to that, because listen, the Knicks are beat up. Nothing you can do. Just set the guys down, get ready for Tuesday. Be embarrassed. You know you'll be on fire Tuesday. So Og is hurt. Og got banged up this year as well. Brunson's not one hundred percent. We already know Mitchell Robbins and Julius Randall are out. So this is a limited team offensively without injuries. So we all kind of kept waiting for this team that was playing with Game seven intensity to just just collapse. Just the wheels came off and they sort of did. I still think they have a chance to win this series. But I was saying this earlier this week, and I said it last time I was on with you. There's a lot of different scenarios with the Knicks, and it's very easy to talk yourself into we're just a piece away, but the East is going to get better. It's just gonna get better. Butler's gonna be healthy, Dane's gonna be healthy, Yannis will probably back, and Beat'll get help. There's so many scenarios for the next and I do wonder if instead of looking at Kevin Durant and Nepaul George, they just they find another og on the market, you know, they go get another really good player, because I do think, you know, playing hard, maybe it has limitations if you fade. I don't think they can beat a Denver a Minnesota's length. But the Knicks have done something in the last three years that they haven't done for twenty, which is they're patient. They're like you look at them and you're like, this is a well run team. They don't take I mean they used to take, you know, big reaches on Amari Stadameyer when he had bad knees. It's like, what are you doing? Like every GM in the league's like that. Amari's you know, he's he's got like two years left, he's cooked.
Speaker 4: Or trading for Carmelo when they could have sign him as a free agent one year later, not got the roster.
Speaker 2: I don't know exactly what they do. I think Paul George fits everywhere. But again, it's such a unique culture, like it's just not for everybody. I mean, I can't wait to watch. I don't. They're not a championship team. I think you know, listen, they're not.
Speaker 1: We know it.
Speaker 2: They're just you can't. There's too many great players, too many good teams in this league. Nicks are not a championship team. I don't know what the solution is. I want to watch it. It's not in the draft. We know that it's not a good draft. I mean Kd's it's it's I just don't know. KD is. Boy. You look at him post Golden State, It's it's he's different. He's running through coaches, you know, and Tibbs has power in that room. Nobody's pushing back on TIBs. I saw this on the internet, and I apologize for not giving credit, but somebody said, everybody starts somewhere. Is JJ Reddick supposed to go to the G League? You know a lot of these guys just don't want to coach college the NIL. They just don't want to deal with limitations NCAA. Is JJ Reddick? Is he a bad idea for the Lakers? I mean I think Budenholzer would have taken the Lakers job and Lebron would have bought in. They couldn't get him out of town fast enough and he had a title in Milwaukee. Jannis wasn't a fan. Is JJ Reddick a terrible choice? Or are we over overstepping that that everybody starts somewhere. Where's he going to start? He's rich, he's not going to the G League's not taking that job. Jason Kidd first experiment not good. Now he's established himself. I mean, what is your take of JJ Reddick, who people are getting gobbled up? Could be head of the class now for the Lakers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the experience thing doesn't matter as much to me for a couple of reasons. One, it's the classic like corporate ideology, where like you're constantly towing the line between rewarding experience versus rewarding talent, and like there's always a fine line between like, oh, well, this guy's been doing it for eight years. But it's like, yeah, but he's the mediocre Because that's the other question here. This guy, if JJ happens to have the talent for it, if he happens to have the basketball like you or whatever for it, then by all means make the move. And so much of that depends on how he's acting behind the scenes in the interviews if they go through an interview process. But the second piece of it is you can counteract a lot of the lack of inexperience or a lack of experience with just putting experienced head coaches on his staff. So you can address that by just giving him a really good assistant coaching staff. As far as I'm concerned with JJ Reddick, like when it comes to the Lakers, what I'm really looking for is somebody that holds players accountable because I look at them as a defensive minded team anchored by two big athletic forwards and Lebron James and Anthony Davis. Just look at the around the league. When the Lakers won, they won when they defended. You know, that was always their their bread and butter. They made it to the Western Conference finals last year as a defensive minded team, they lost in the first round this year as an offensive minded team. Going back to twenty twenty, they won when they were a defensive minded team. So I'm really interested in somebody that's going to hold them accountable, And I don't really know if if JJ's willing to do that with Lebron, that's gonna be something that is going to have to be flushed out in the interview process. But I'm not concerned about the experience simply because if JJ's got the talent, he's got the talent, and they're going to anchor him with experienced NBA coaches that will help him navigate the eighty two game regular season. And honestly, like it's it's really just going to be about like a collaborative effort between Lebron, James and the and JJ Redick to kind of identify what the strengths and weaknesses of the roster are and go from there. It's really hard, honestly, Colin, I wonder what it's like for you cover in the NFL too, Like it's really difficult with coaches, especially new coaches. We're not there for the interviews. Like with a player, I can go look at tape and I can get a really good feel for what he's good and bad at. But like with JJ, it's like, well, what's his philosophy going to be? What are what are his core his core principles that he's going to build the team on Like what is is he going to continue the five out offense they were running out of Darvin ham with Darvin hamm Are they going to run something different? Are they gonna do something different offensively? It's so hard to say because we're not in the room for those interviews. But if JJ interviews well and they give him good assistant coaches and he's got the talent for it, I absolutely think it could work well.
Speaker 2: I mean, Duke Kid, you know, you listen to the podcast, he's you know, he's a thoughtful guy to me. You know, it's experience is funny. You know, it's creating the volume or working for years at ESPN or Fox Sports. You know, people managers have come to me and said, hey, listen to a tape or what do you make of this guy? And my take is, if you've never done network, who cares, Like we listened to your tape and we're like, yeah, he's ready to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: You didn't have to be somewhere. We thought you would be here, So it's you know, it's Jerry Seinfeld was speaking at Duke. He had a commencement speech and he had a great line. He said, having stuff is nice, Becoming stuff or having stuff is nice. Becoming something is really more important, and becoming something is missus. It swings, It's an ascension. In every job I've ever had, I was a little over my skis for the first like six to eight weeks, like I'm bailing water here, I'm trying to catch I've had a friend once that got a job at Google and she was like I literally six weeks in, I'm like, oh, I'm dumb and this is a full of smart people. I'm too dumb to work at Google. And she goes then the light goes on, you start clicking, and then like six months into it, you're like okay, but it's like it's okay, Darvin Ham learned on the job. If you're smart in any industry, you'll figure it out. Like a lot of this stuff with coaching is like I heard Frank Vogel, you know, some complex, defensive stuff. Beale didn't really buy in. Booker was close to an assistant coach, much closer than he was Vogel. Kevin was fine, but Kevin's Kevin at this point, and it was like Vogel just didn't he didn't resonate with all the guys in the room, JJ Redick. If Lebron buys him, we'll resonate with everybody in the room. So my take is you start somewhere. If you get Lebron, there is some credibility, like with Jason Kidd, Like there is credibility player to player that JJ has. And I think it's kind of unspoken, but kind of the middle aged, you know, guy that didn't play. I always think you go into a locker room and about half the room is like if the star doesn't buy into it, half the room's not buying into it. Maybe that's cynical, but I think everybody would buy into JJ Redick.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like it's like Mike Norriy from the Timberwolves are I can't remember his name, that assistant from the Celtics who just got signed by the Charlotte Hornets. It's like, if you bring in an assistant, it doesn't matter how much he's been grinding in the film room, doesn't matter how much he impressed the previous organization. He's got to be able to look at Lebron and be like, hey man, I need you to do this. And Lebron's got to be like, okay, you know, and not only that, but I'll hold the rest of the team accountable to help him along the way. And so there, I do agree that's the gravitas piece. And by the way, that's why they hire Darvin Ham. They thought Darvin Ham would be able to bring some of that, yes, like real gravitas to the situation. The thing with JJ is you got to acknowledge the risk because you're right, Like, they let Darvin Ham learn on the fly and he didn't really start making huge mistakes until this season with the roster when he was like leaning into camerad as we've gone over it, but like he made too many mistakes, and then the Lakers had a situation where they looked at the urgency of their situation and said, we have to make a move. And so I just I just hope that the Lakers' front office and ownership understands that if you do take JJ, there is a risk. And even though I believe he could do this well, especially with good experienced staff behind him, anytime you go for a first time head coach, there's a like, what if he's just really bad at a in game adjustments? What if he's just really bad, Like we don't know what it's going to be, Like we're gonna find out over time. And so that's where like the let's say the alternative, let's say they were to get like a Kenny Atkinson for instance, Like Kenny Atkinson is more of a known commodity. He might be a higher floor, but like maybe you don't get some of the upside you get if you get a freaked out to your point, Steve Kerr, like Steve Kerr is regarded as one of the best coaches in the league. I think he's the second best coach in the league behind Eric Spoulstra. Like that was a risk signing Steve Curree. By the way, Steve Kerr was radical. He came into a Mark Jackson led team that was spam and pick and roll, and he said, Hey, Steph Curry, we're taking the ball out of your hands. We're gonna lead the league in passes. We're gonna run this motion ball in player movement offense. And I'm sure there were moments in training camp where it looked ugly, and I'm sure there were moments where the front office was looking down like, ugh, this is weird, you know, like we just went, you know, two great playoff runs in twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, just having Steph run spread, pick and roll, So like, this is funky, but then it works and now Steve Kerr is regarded as one of the best coaches in the league. So like, there's upside to going with the JJ, but there's also a risk. And so for me, I'm okay with that risk because I don't really think there's any candidate out there that's a home run anyway, right, So I think I think there's risk all around. To begin with.
Speaker 2: Former NFL scout John Middlecoff Three and Out podcast, it's NFL schedule release, which is the closest thing to adult entertainment for me once the season ends. This is cotton candy when I was nine. I just I'll eat it until my teeth rot. So and I know I like it way more than the average person.
Speaker 1: But colle, can we push back against all the haters because there is a lot of people, especially considered the sports media. They're like, this isn't that the NFL is an event business. When Dana White announces a fight card, it's a big deal. That's what the NFL is. Like the games do you know what the other do you know what the NBA and Major League Baseball would give to have their games in the regular season matter? This matters. Yeah, we knew the opponents, but we didn't know the days, the time, the bye weeks, the setup. This is an event sport. I mean's why it's taken off the way it has. Right.
Speaker 2: Listen, you can tell they want Jim Harbaugh to start two and oh, the Chargers get the Raiders at home, one of the weaker teams, and then the Panthers on the road. They want a two and oh, Jim Harbaugh they want. Listen, there are certain things the NFL they're gonna take care of, like, let's take companies for instance. This is the strongest Amazon Thursday night schedule. Remember the first few years of Amazon it was awful.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was like Titans Texans when the Texans were bad. It was every week.
Speaker 2: So the first now Thursday, they start with Josh Allen and Tua. The next week it's Aaron Rodgers. The next week it's Dak Prescott in Dallas. Week six, you get the Niners Seattle. Week eight, it's Harbaugh, Jim. Week ten, Burrow against Lamar Jackson. We know the NFL. Netflix got Christmas games streaming service. They're taking care Amazon clearly said, listen, what's your future? What are we gonna pay? What can a network pay? I thought they took care of Amazon as much as you can. I mean, you don't want to. You gotta be careful on Thursday because you want some close geographical matchups like New England Jets is a really easy trip for both teams. That's an easy trip. Buffalo Miami's not, but it's the first one.
Speaker 1: But there's a Niners Rams Thursday night game. They like to doing that additional games.
Speaker 2: One of the things that jumped out to me is that you know, Netflix, they did a solid they give them Christmas games. Amazon Thursday. I mean, I'll be honest with you. Monday Night football, John there is a what I would call a star or high profile quarterback in seventeen weeks now, I'm counting Caleb Williams and Tua is high profile. It's the best Monday Night for ball schedule live seat. So again, Disney money, Amazon money, Monday and Thursday night are gonna weaken Sunday to some degree. There are star quarterbacks being taken out of Sunday games.
Speaker 1: Well, in a weird way that Sunday morning for us on the West Coast, the ten am kickoff for the NFL is a little bit of a throwaway at this point. It is right the afternoon, the Fox main game and the CBS game matter. They're all in on Sunday night football Monday night. Once they hired Troy and Joe became a really really big deal. Peyton's involved, And let's face it, I mean, Amazon's top two or three company in the world, so they're not going away. Streaming's not going away. To me, what jumped out though, is Netflix reportedly paid seventy five million dollars a game, and they got two of them. They are I looked at their market cap, top forty company in the world. Well are they gonna grow or are they gonna shrink over the next ten twenty years. And how you're in the business broadcast television, the cable bundle, we know how that's going. We know the change of everything. We see it in our podcast business compared to traditional radio. To me, when I saw what they did at Netflix, they didn't just give them two random games on Christmas. They gave them chiefs at the Steelers and the Ravens at the Texans yep, so equivalent four playoff teams. You could argue the biggest star in the sport in Mahomes. The Ravens were right there to go to the super Bowl last year. The Texans are a trajectory like this, and the Steelers are a top five brand. To me, Netflix a little bit of a precursor. Are we looking at the next television deal? Are there? Is there just a package on Netflix on Sunday? Maybe? Because let's face it, when I get in bed and she grabs the remote the first we don't turn on. We have YouTube TV? Which are she goes to Netflix? And I looked right before we hopped on they have eighty million subscribers in America. Maybe they're saying we get the NFL. Is that number one hundred within a couple of years?
Speaker 2: All throw give me a team individual, Give me a couple teams individually. That jumped out to you.
Speaker 1: Well, I heard your theory and you talking about the Rogers situation. I think it's just simple. And I know coaches and executives like GMS, you know the league, all they care about is money. I mean that's their job, right, so the ratings, I think Rogers is still a massive, massive needle mover. Yeah, and like the week one, I thought when I was looking at the potentials, because I thought the Niners were going to get Sunday Night or Monday Night football. You kind of feel once you knew Thursday Night a lot of stars that we already knew the Friday night game. We didn't know the Sunday Night game. But I was like, I think the Niners are getting one of those. You looked at their schedule, It's like I could see them throwing the Cowboys or the Jets. And then once it was reported that the Cowboys did the Brady thing, which is genius. I mean, how many people are going to watch that game? Thirty five million people on Sunday afternoon. The Niners, I mean the Niners when they're winning, or a top two or three brand in the league rating wise, Yes, And Aaron Rodgers buying, especially coming off this injury, you know, controversial to some, but he's just a polarizing player. And the Jets are a New York major brand. I don't know if the Jets are gonna be very good. I'm sure we'll dive into but you put that thing on, just like they did last year. I remember, like all of us around the country, sitting there, Jets Bills. It's gonna feel really big and do a huge number. But tough game for him. It does get a little easy off the bat. Then he goes to the Titans. Then he plays the Pats, who I think are gonna be terrible. Denver rookie quarterback mcglinch's their right tackle. The Jets have a good pass rush Minnesota. We'll see. They're in a little transitional period. So the Monday night game, if they can just get through that healthy, I do think they could rattle off a couple wins early.
Speaker 2: See now I saw it the opposite. My take was that you can only do so much because the Jets. The schedule is what the schedule is.
Speaker 1: Right, if you know the teams, Yeah, right, right, and a.
Speaker 2: Lot of it's baked in. You play the Bills twice, Miami twice, New England twice, your conference, your division plays certain divisions. But I thought they made Aaron's season as tough as you could make it. So they start it's weak, right, So, first of all, the last thing you want to do in a rebuild a line is face the Niners defense or front and week one that's a tough draw. Three games in eleven days to start again with a rebuilt a line. They have five short weeks and an international game in weeks one through eleven. So the schedule the quarterbacks they face isn't daunting. They could have done them way more. Rest favors older quarterbacks and older people tend to be creatures of habit as I've aged. You know, I really like Peyton Manning hated Sunday night football games.
Speaker 1: Hated you're waiting around all day.
Speaker 2: So Aaron Rodgers, they give him three games and eleven days to start, five short weeks, an international game, and Niners with an line build. The quality of the opponent isn't great.
Speaker 1: It is Will Levis and Jacoby Mersett.
Speaker 2: No question, I will acknowledge that the games are the games. But old quarterback rebuild a line and a lot of short weeks. That's it's like for older quarterbacks, like Brady would tell you, like I want to get going. Those old quarterbacks love one o'clock games.
Speaker 1: They love them, and there is not a harder travel that than playing Monday night football. If you're a coastal team, but on the East coast to the West coast and flying home because what time are they you know, the game ends at a fifteen By the time they get out of there, they're getting home at five six in the morning. So it is and then it's difficult on your coach. It's it's a very, very difficult stretch.
Speaker 2: I also looked at the NFL with Chicago. Again, Fox would love Chicago to pop.
Speaker 1: I mean, she change target.
Speaker 2: What do they get with a rookie quarterback Tennessee at home to start new coach, new staff, and then week five home Carolina a very winnable game against Washington early they get a buy into it, so two weeks to prepare for a very winnable game. Those feel like wins to me for Chicago. I do think again, you could have stacked green Bay on the road early. You could have stacked this schedule. You know, Detroit open at Detroit because though you know Chicago's a big brand, they gave them a couple of layups early.
Speaker 1: I do think when it comes to a rookie quarterback, let's use Jaden Daniels and bow knicks for example, they're playing the long game. Sean Payton's not going anywhere. This new operation in Washington's so if there's up and downs and you gotta lose his confidence, takes them a couple weeks to gain it back. Whatever, We're okay winning six games this first year. There is tangible pressure on the coach in Chicago, right, he can't afford to go seven to ten or he'll be fired. Yes, I agree with you on the Titan situation. But then their next three games for a young quarterback who is extremely talented, Like, it's not like he's coming off an eleven wins seasons. Yes, I mean it was just it was a lot at the Texans at the Colts. I think both those teams are going to be really good. Yeah, they both loaded up. You know, Indy disdrafted a pass rusher in the top fifteen, the Texans added one during free agency. And then you play the Rams like, that's just a tough early stretch. I don't care how talented you are. Young people, confidence can eb and flow, and the pressure of Chicago, the hype. I do think that's just a tough early stretch. Now, if all of a sudden they're three and two, I mean we might be looking at a ten or eleven win team.
Speaker 2: Did you notice with the Cowboys schedule and we know in the last month mostly the NFL wants division games. You know, you want your Miami Buffaloes, although Miami bipe.
Speaker 1: So you're good. You're good teams, so you think are going to be compete for now.
Speaker 2: Miami Buffalo both played pretty early. But Dallas has three, you know, out of division games that are pretty tough, the Niners, the Ravens, and the Lions. They're done with all of them by week eight. So so with Dallas again McCarthy, dak this is an experienced team. They they don't backload it because you know the Giants in Washington won't be great. They get their three toughest to me, the three games that you look at and go the three best rosters they play will probably be San Francisco, Baltimore, and Detroit and those are all done by week eight. So if even if you go one and two on those, they could have stacked a couple of those, you know, week fourteen, week thirteen, so you go into these tough, brutal, cold weather road games and divisions. No, they got rid of their tough games early. Again, what do I like Harbaugh getting a two and zero start. Listen Dallas Is. I thought it went in their favor. That was my take.
Speaker 1: I do think that Cleveland, I'm not expecting the same what we saw last year. I mean, obviously they're all in a Deshaun Watson, his cap hit has really kicked in the rosters. I don't think gonna be as good just moving forward, obviously, and I'm not sure he's still a good player. But even if they take a huge step back, we all know Week one is tough, right, You could play the worst team in the league in Week one. Everyone has the same hopes and dreams. They're everyone's OH to oh, especially at home, and Cleveland is a tough place to play. And the hype on that game with Brady calling it, that's a sneaky big game because then all of a sudden, like I think most people think the Saints were really shitty last year. They did go nine to eight and their offense was mainly putrid. Well, they had Kubiak's kid who comes from Shanahan. I think the Saints are gonna be better, and then you got Baltimore. It's just a tough little early stretch for a team.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say they're walking on eggshells, but the McCarthy story, the Dack, if they don't extend them, it could get weird, and it could get weird fast. I just got that Cleveland game circle. I think that is going to be very I can see Cleveland winning that thing and Cleveland being a six to seven win team.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make an argument and that the toughest schedule in the league I saw was the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 1: Oh it's really hard.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you start, you have better rosters than these teams, but they load them up at Atlanta, at Denver, at Indy and Harbaugh. That's a rough start. I mean again, you have better rosters than Atlanta, Denver, the Chargers, Nindy, three of the four on the road, and you come out of that road streak with Dallas two weeks later. Aaron Rodgers like, that's rough. And did you see the last six quarterbacks Pittsburgh Faces Burrow, Deshaun Watson, Jalen Hurts, Lamar Jackson, Mahomes and Burrow Like, good, look, Mike Tomlin is going to be on a network broadcasting and by the way, I predict he'll be great. I've talked to two network execs who would hire Mike Tomlin tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Are you short in the Steelers this year?
Speaker 2: I am short in them. I mean, did you have to put at the end of the year the last three quarterbacks, Lamar, Mahomes and Burrow in the last month.
Speaker 1: Did you see the story though about Burrow's hand surgery the percentage of it keeping You know, most surgeries are ninety to ninety five percent that risk. Hand surgery is like seventy to seventy five percent success rate, and then it no matter how well it goes, there's basically guaranteed inflammation. It's a little trickier than just your ACL or your broken leg. I do think that's something to keep a heavy eye on. Now. If he plays seventeen games, I think we'd all acknowledge they're going to be one of the better teams in the NFL. But if that thing crops up where it is, I mean, it would be a major problem. I thought the moment that they signed Russ, before we even knew their schedule or who they were playing one. They're not financially invested in them at all, right, They're paying them about a million dollars or even Denver last year. Let's say hypothetically Sean Payton was out on him by October. First, financially, he had to see if he could make it work. And then the least there is not going to be long. They have no draft cap invested, they have nothing invested, and they do have another guy in a one year contract who might not be good either, but at least this physically brings a lot more to the table. And we saw Arthur Smith, you know, win with Ryan Tannehill and Mark's Mariota. So it's like, I just don't think this guy's getting a long leash. He's not going to be Dnking and Duncan and they're one to three and he gets to keep his job. No, I mean, I just I look to you move teams and they're not paying anything. He better play well and they better have success or he will go to the pine.
Speaker 2: I looked at Pittsburgh today and I thought, I know, Mike Tomlins never had a losing season. That last six game stretch, You'll have the second best quarterback in all of those games, all of them. You know, one of the things I always look at is how many great quarterbacks do you face, the Jets don't face a lot of great quarterbacks. But again, they have seven standalone games, six night games, five short weeks, an international game. So the Jets schedule's pretty easy. The NFL didn't do him any favors with Knight, standalones, international. I look at Pittsburgh and there's just no way if the Jets have the easiest schedule in terms of facing elite quarterbacks. The Steelers got hosed that last month and a half. They'll be underdogs potentially in all those games.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if everyone's healthy, they usually could lose to the Ravens twice. I mean the Bengals, the Eagles, the Chiefs. Yeah, it's just that's really really brutal. And let's face it, by that time, you're not one hundred percent, you're gonna have some injuries. They've kind of been at a similar spot the last several years. They usually don't have some huge margin for error, right they don't start the seasons nine to three that They've been hovering around five hundred right till the bitter end these last couple of years. So I understand what they did. I would have done with their moves at quarterback, getting rid of Kenny Pickett, getting rid of the group they had for Russell Wilson and Justin Fields. But just because those guys are much more famous does mean they're going to be much more effective. And I'm not a Deshaun Watson guy, but obviously, if Lamar is healthy and Joe Burrow is healthy, the gap between Russell Wilson Justin Fields quarterback room is a mile long.
Speaker 2: The volume. Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment rate and review.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Jason timp host of Hoops Tonight. Make sure you check us out live after games on the Hoops Tonight YouTube channel as we provide instant reaction and analysis of all the big NBA playoff games. Again, that's the Hoops Tonight YouTube channel and wherever you get your podcasts