Speaker 1: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck. He's older and fifty it turns out, and there's Jerry, and this is short stuff and let's go.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: This is the case of a sort of a lesser known, unsolved true crime murder. In fact, yeah, I hope that didn't spoil anything. I don't think in this thing you put together called it bizarre. I take issue with that. I don't think it's bizarre at all. But it is unsolved and interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think when you yes, you're right, No, it's not bizarre, but it.
Speaker 2: Had the episode of the Sopranos.
Speaker 1: To me, it is unsung in that it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, no mention whatsoever on all of Wikipedia, which is very surprising. But we're talking about the death of a man named Charles C. Morgan who died in May of nineteen seventy seven in the desert outside of Tucson, Arizona, and his death was, like you said, almost certainly a murder, but it was pronounced suicide by the local sheriff, even though the coroner was like, I don't know what this was. Everyone else on the planet will tell you it's a murder, especially once you know the details, which we're going to get into right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, let's just describe the crime scene. This guy was found deceased at the scene wearing a bulletproof vest from a gunshot wound from his own handgun to the back of his head, and it did not have his fingerprints on his own gun.
Speaker 1: And it was laid beside his body.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the sheriff was like, well, it looks like a suicide to me.
Speaker 3: You know, the guy put on surgical gloves and you know, shot himself in the back of the head, as one does, and then managed somehow to take those gloves off and hide.
Speaker 1: Them exactly before me. He said, let's go get lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His wife said, no, there's no way that this was a suicide.
Speaker 2: That's impossible.
Speaker 3: And now we're going to tell you a little bit about Charles Morgan and things will become pretty clear as we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So he was an Escro agent, and the Escro agent, as anyone who's ever bought a house knows, is the person who holds the money. Yeah, they're this impartial third party who follows a set of rules about keeping and dispersing money. And basically once the sale of some high value thing, almost always real estate, but sometimes things like if you're buying a bunch of gold or you're buying a private jet or something like that, there's going to be an Escro agent involved because you don't just hand over the money and hope for the best. And then once everybody's signed and all the stuff is legal and set, then the money gets sent out, but they hold it in escrow. And by being an Escro agent, not just Charles Morgan, but any escrow agent, I think even still today is in a really good position to help organize crime, launder money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like just putting money in escrow all of a sudden, it's got a little bit more legitimacy to it. Yeah, it's not the most regulated industry, so it's a little easier to get away with something like that, probably as an escrow agent, or at least certainly it was in nineteen seventy seven. Yeah, and that's what he was doing. It seems like it, you know, from all accounts, it didn't seem like he was a bad dude. It seems like somebody maybe like in a Sopranos episode where he got in a little over his head, maybe ended up feeling like he had to do certain things once the mafia got their you know, their finger in his pie.
Speaker 1: What good one, man, I love that. That's the best one since sniff them off the case.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: As it was coming out of my mouth, I knew that it was not right.
Speaker 1: Seventeen years in and you're still you're still doing it. Man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. But he was doing this for the mafia.
Speaker 3: And there's a a journalist for Unsolved Mysteries at the time named Don Devereaux who basically was like, this guy was helping the mafia launder money through Arizona as an ESCRO agent, like by buying and selling platinum and gold is how they were doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because again, like you said, just taking tainted money made from selling drugs, you put it in an escrow account. It gives it legitimacy if the Escro agent isn't asking where it came from from that point forward. Once it's in the Escro account, that's when the paper trail really kind of starts. So if they use that money to buy legitimately buy legal gold and platinum and then turn around and sell that that illicit drug money just became legitimate in the eyes of everybody, thanks again in part with the help of Charles C. Morgan. And did you say he oversaw a billion dollars with the transactions in the few years he was doing this. I did not a billion dollars. That's what Don Devereux estimated that journalists for unsolved mysteries. And like you said, he was a good guy. That's the sad part of all of this. He wasn't some scumbagg he wasn't a scale He seems to have gotten in over his head. He was definitely helping the mafia launder their money or organize crime. But he was also a dedicated family man who cared very much about the safety of his family. And I say we take a break and come back and really kind of get into the sad story of Charles Morgan's death.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So surely there's other people out there who know much more about this and the chain of events that led to this. But if you take it from the the story of Ruth Morgan, Charles Morgan's wife, the whole thing starts in March of nineteen seventy seven, when all of a sudden, one day, Charles Morgan goes missing, and he's missing for three days, and he finally turns back up. But when he turns back up, he's not carrying like flowers and chocolate to apologize. He shows up missing a shoe, among other things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's missing a shoe, his hands or zip tied together.
Speaker 2: There are another.
Speaker 3: Set of zip ties that I guess he got out of but on one of his ankles. And she immediately is like, oh my god, the mafia has their.
Speaker 2: Fingers in your pie.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: I know what this means.
Speaker 3: He was refusing to speak and wrote down on a piece of paper. And this is the part that I just find interesting and I don't take issue with it, but I'll tell you what I mean. He wrote down that his throat had been painted with a hallucinogenic drug that could either drive him insane or his word, or destroy his nervous system and kill him. So don't call the cops, and don't say anything out loud, and move my car, go hide my car, because I don't want them to know I'm back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I get the impression that he wasn't just telling his wife that because they didn't feel like talking to her. I think he was naive enough that somebody told him that they did that. Yeah, he was really worried it was true.
Speaker 3: All right, we're in agreement then, because I don't think that's a thing.
Speaker 1: Is it. No? I mean you would still absorb whatever drug through the mucous membranes of your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What I really tried to dig up, and again there's just not a lot. Is like, did he experience any you know, drug effects?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I did see that Ruth nursed him back to health from different sources, so I don't know what any deal was. He also was handcuffed, so it could have been you know, trauma from that, who knows. But he didn't want her to call the cops because, like I said, he was dedicated to his family, and he did not. He was so up against the wall that he could not involve the cops. He had to figure out how to do this himself. I mean, like people write entire books about this few week segment of Charles C. Morgan's life. That was the kind of trouble he found himself in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, super scary stuff. Obviously, after about a week, like you said, Ruth had nursed him back to health, and things sort of returned to normal in his life, except that he started wearing a bulletproof vest. He started he grew a beard out to try and kind of disguise himself. He started driving his daughters to and from school every day when they used to walk, because he was worried for their safety.
Speaker 2: And he wouldn't tell his wife what was going on. He was just like business as usual.
Speaker 3: And the excuse was like, Hey, I can't tell you what's going on because I had to keep you safe. He might have hinted that he was a government agent, but basically Ruth don't.
Speaker 1: Ask yeah pretty much. So things kind of, like you said, get back to normal a little bit. But that was March of nineteen seventy seven. In May, a few weeks later, he suddenly went missing again. And this time, I mean, I can't imagine the dread Ruth experience. Like the first time, I'm sure she was like where is that Charles, And she had like a rolling pin in her hand or something like that, waiting for him to come home. This time, after he showed up the way that he did, after he started wearing a bulletproof vest as scared as he was, and then also not letting her in on anything. Him disappearing as second time had to be torture for her. I think he was gone nine full days before she got a phone call from an anonymous woman, and it was a bizarre phone call. So let's say that if the whole case wasn't bizarre, Chuck, there's bizarre elements, and this is definitely one of them.
Speaker 2: No, no, for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean this stuff is a little weird. She got the call from a woman who said he's okay, Charles, or I think she called him chuckyman. Chuck is okay, He's all right. She also mentioned Ecclesiastes from the Bible, chapter twelve, verses one through eight. This would pop up again in a second, but I'm sure you went and read Ecclesiastes twelve one through eight as I did.
Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 3: The only thing I can sum up is that it sounded like some Sam Jackson kind of.
Speaker 2: Stuff in pulp fiction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of like just sort of a scary, ominous Biblical passage as how I interpreted that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, but it was also really odd. I mean, I'm sure if I had read much more around it, it would have made a little more sense. But the end of it being just the way that it did. I think somebody said, like lies, these are all lies at the end, yeah, which is not you know, it was just really strange. So yes, I find that bizarre that that was even mentioned. And it also comes up again after that. Right, So, this Ecclesiastes twelve cooling verses one through eighth is also mentioned on a two dollars bill that was found on Charles's body. Chuck's body, not you, Chuck. I hate to even say that out loud, just the thought is happening to you. Yeah, I appreciate it was on this two dollar bill. He had written Ecclesiastes twelve, and then he circled a one and an eight that were in the serial number of this two dollar bill to show reference that this was in verses one through eight.
Speaker 2: That's right. Did you say that was in his underwear?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I was leaving that for you.
Speaker 3: It was clipped to the inside of his underwear. The bill also had seven Hispanic last names written on it. There was a map showing a known drug smuggling route between Mexico and Tucson. Yeah, and then the founders on that bill, the founders are signing the Declaration of Independence. They numbered them one through seven, and then the biblical stuff. They also found one of his teeth wrapped up in a handkerchief in the car, So there was a piece of paper with directions of where he was buried in hand, you know, handwritten handwriting, and someone else's sunglasses were in the car.
Speaker 1: I've never seen any explanation for what his tooth was doing wrapped up in a handkerchief.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they intended to send it as like you would a lopped finger, as a warning, and they have never got around to it.
Speaker 2: That'd be what I would say.
Speaker 1: But why did he have it?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, clear someone clearly was out there in the desert with him in that car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, but I mean left. There's not really any bigger message that you could send. Rather than leaving his dead, murdered body right by the car, why would you put his tooth and a handkerchief in the car. It's just strange to me, you know, I would even go so far as you call it bizarre.
Speaker 3: Here's here's the scene, the two the two mafia guys are driving away and they were like, hey, nobody's ever gonna find this body right, not out here, they're not. And you got the tooth to mail to the broad right, Oh, Vinnie, I left the tooth.
Speaker 2: You left the.
Speaker 1: Tooth right, He said, I thought you said leave the tooth grabbed the canoli.
Speaker 3: So that's what I think happened. But yeah, that that doesn't make a lot of sense. A couple of days after the body was discovered, a woman called the Sheriff's department said, I am the person who called Ruth Morgan a few days earlier. My name is green Eyes. And they said how pretty and she said thank you, and they said are your ice green? She said, they're actually a shade of blue.
Speaker 1: She said maybe, she.
Speaker 2: Said, but that's not important. She said.
Speaker 3: I met with Chuck at a local motel recently. He had been hiding out there for about a week and he was on the run. He had a briefcase, like had a ton of money. He said that someone put a hit out on him and he was getting in touch with the hitman to buy back that contract.
Speaker 2: Obviously that did not happen.
Speaker 1: No, And it's that's really just such a sad twist too, because he seems to have spent the last week of his life on the run under the idea that he had some hope. He had hoped that maybe, just maybe he could get out of this by buying that contract back and maybe this would all go away. But it does seem that he did have a contract out in his life for real, that it was because he was informing on the mafia to the FEDS, the Treasury Department specifically, so that does seem to have been true. And then that journalist for Unsolved Mysteries, Don Devereaux, he posits, and this makes a lot of sense that the hitman did get in touch with Chuck Morgan and said, I'm afraid to tell you this, but I'm coming to kill you. But you can get out of this if you buy the contract. So you pay me what the mob's paying me to kill you, you pay me to not kill you, and we'll just call it even. And not only was that a way for this scumbag of a killer to make double the amount on the contract by basically duping Charles Morgan into thinking he could buy his way out of it, it also was a great excuse to get him to an isolated spot to hand over the money, as it were, but really to murder him out there in the desert. Like that's if you look at it like that, this guy was so in over his head and he was trying so hard to save himself. It's so sad this this is just for some reason, this one really gets me. I don't know if it's because it was recent enough or what, but there's there's just a lot to it that really makes me sad for him and his family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also like I feel so bad that that he had that hope that he thought, like, wait a minute, so you'll you'll betray the mafia if I just buy you out of this thing, and they go, right, yeah, totally, that's no big deal, right, and then he actually believed that. I mean, what a what a awful way to die desperate and also hopeful at the same time.
Speaker 1: I agreed, there's some other weird stuff to this case. So I would suggest that anybody who is interested go check it out. You can read a lot about it. And in the meantime, Rip Chuck Morgan and short Stuff is that.
Speaker 2: You Stuff You Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts, My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts
Speaker 1: Or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.