Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Mary's gonna score touchdown. Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 4: He came flying into the back field.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Are you santan.
Speaker 5: Ford State Farm?
Speaker 2: Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm, And by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcasts.
Speaker 4: Red Scenes, Rising Up, Timpturizing Vision, Flurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 5: Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 3: Abready, I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you abready.
Speaker 5: And Ron wolf Lee.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 3: Leash the fjord, A new day, a new daily record high temperature for the city of Phoenix, Ron Wolfley one nineteen and maybe counting, oh boy, two days in a row, the highest temperature seen in Phoenix since two thouy seventeen. Now, the good news is there is a slight chance of rain in the extended forecast through the weekend and next week. Chance of rain, Yes, we can guarantee though going into the weekend, a look at your five day forecast will bring Cardinals Training Camp twenty twenty three, and I've got a mustache to prove it. It's the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul Kelvic, and Ron Wolfley.
Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Indeed, Pauli, this is and I'm really looking forward to this training cap for so many different reasons, but number one, I'm looking for the physical of this training camp right now. Anytime, Pauli, a new coach comes in, it's never gonna be Listen, it's never gonna be like it was back in nineteen eighty five or nineteen ninety. It's never gonna be like that. It's never gonna be as physical Paulli. But anytime a new coaching staff comes in, they're gonna put you through your paces. The first week, in particular, maybe the first couple weeks of training camp. I think, Paulie, this is gonna be a bloody training camp.
Speaker 3: Right before we get to the who and the what and the how and the where, well the where is State Farm Stadium here's the win first open training camp practice begins Thursday, July twenty seventh, and by the way, you can secure your free Cardinals camp tickets now do we say free Cardinals camp tickets at Azycardinals dot com slash camp ticks. That's c amp ti X. Then Saturday, July twenty ninth, back together weekend. The red and White practice is Saturday August fifth, and in between there I think is a state holiday. July thirty first, the first padded practice.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, PAULI, get to it, get to it, please. We don't need no staking shorts. But yeah, we don't need that, Pauli. We need full pads. And that is going to be July thirty first is going to be the first day that we're actually going to hit. Isn't that right, PAULI.
Speaker 3: No doubt. And you know the new head coach, jg he is fired up. He's always fired up. Much less training camp. But what about the players, because Jonathan Gannon was asked about that before they went on their final break of the year.
Speaker 6: I know they're rare and to go when they get the training camp schedule. And I've got a lot of input from a lot of guys about that what I wanted to get out of it, and you know, it was cool to hear their thoughts of where we can improve and make sure we're doing a good job getting ready to go week one.
Speaker 3: And make no mistake, there's a lot he wants to get out of training camp. There are a lot of questions. There's gonna be a lot of competition. What's his famous quote, already four months on the job quote. Everything is a competition. So when it comes to what where do you start? Well, what will you be watching once they start camp?
Speaker 1: Yeah, PAULI for me right now, I just have to say this quickly. Every player knows what is at stake right now. This is a very very competitive roster. It's not like you've got a bunch of guys that you can look at and say, oh, he's on the roster, he's on there. I mean, there are certain guys where we're going to say that. Of course, there's no doubt about that. But this is going to be a very competitive fifty three. There's no denying that right now. And because of that, each guy, I guarantee you is preparing right now, mentally, spiritually, and physically for what he's going to have to do to make this team. And I think JG in this coaching staff is going to open it up to everybody and make everything to your point, Paulie, a competition.
Speaker 3: You know my saying just from the outside looking in and being in all the OTAs your former coach Bill Belichick as the famous no days off, I'm going with no allegiances. Oh, new decision makers, new GM. I ran into earlier today, already had his box all packed, he said, out to training camp Manti asin Fort, the new head coach, brand new staff. I mean, think about twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, those rosters were set going into guess you're being objective, was don't get hurt. Even last year how many roster spots were truly open going into that season. But this year, I mean it's vastly different. I'll just throw out to me the position groups with the biggest questions are all on defense. For example, D line, corner edge. I mean, you got a couple of guys who I think are locks. We can say that to make it. But after that, I mean there are a lot of open positions, and there are a lot of possibilities when it comes to roster decisions.
Speaker 1: That's right, Pauly, and I love her no allegiances. I love that because that's exactly right. Jonathan Gannon and his staff are going to be looking at these players and they're going to be like, prove it. What do you got, yep, show me what you got right now. This is not to be a talk fest. This is gonna be a slug fest. It's gonna be show me what you've got physically right now. And anytime you talk about that poly you have to start with the offensive line. And that's where I will start when Trendy camp opens.
Speaker 3: And look, I don't know if there is as much competition for the starting five as maybe we envisioned when Jonathan Gannon came on board. I mean, I'm thinking it's de Jumpers a left tackle, it's the rookie Paris Johnson Junior. At right tackle, it's Will Hernandez. He's locked into right guard, yelled a frohold until maybe there's a center signed at a later date. He's the guy to beat, and I think he's pretty much set as your starting center. Left guard, wide open. How do you see it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know that's interesting because I think Calvin Beacham is one of your best five, and because of that, I think they're gonna want to try to get their best five out of the field. So it would not surprise me, and I've been talking about this for a long time, even though the evidence that we've seen in OTAs not back this up, Paully. For me, I see Paris Johnson Junior starting as your left guard. I see Calvin Beachum out as the right tackle right there. I see Paris Johnson Junior getting in on the left side, and that's where his future really is, in my opinion, at left tackle. Well, you've got an excellent left tackle in DJ Humphries right now, so you've got a need at left guard. Why not go ahead and put Paris Johnson there and let him cut his teeth as a guard and then eventually move out to tackle. Now, again, that's just me, Paully, But the evidence with OTAs right now says that Paris Johnson Jr. Is going to be a right tackle.
Speaker 3: Now, how about a couple other first rounders, Zavin Collins, Isaiah Simmons. To me, these are two guys I'm going to be following, I'm gonna be watching. How are they deploying him. What are we going to be able to discern it training camp? How is Xavin taking to the edge? Could he really be a potential starter Week one at Washington, Isaiah Simmons, if they're going to run what you were talking about we were talking about recently that hey, if Kyzier White is locked in as your middle linebacker, could they use an Isaiah Simmons as a hybrid safety slash will linebacker?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right, yeah, no they could, Balie. There's no doubt about that. And there's gonna be a lot of people that I think will be with you on that following Isaiah Simmons. For me, though, once again, it all starts this rebuild. This foundation that they're tearing up in in they're building all over again is going to start on the line of scrimmage on the offensive side of the ball. And because of that, I want to see what schemes they run, Bali, what kind of protections do they run? How many power schemes are being run right now? Are they training with the power schemes? How many power schemes are going to be run July thirty first, Because that if if you're going to make that a point of emphasis. If you're going to say, man, we're gonna we're gonna line up, we're gonna slug people in the face. You're gonna come out and on July thirty first, you're gonna make it up point to run a ton of power schemes and get everyone's attention as to what it is you're going to do. You're going to make that something that is of import Right from the first day of training camp.
Speaker 3: Between the Big Red Rage and the Wolf and Luke Show, I've been scoring at home. Cole McCoy, James Connor, DJ Humphreys, Will Hernandez have all come on and made the proclamation that Cardinals will most definitely run the ball, not only straight ahead, but with a much greater frequency. Even Jonathan Gannon made those comments to Peter King right after it is hired that Kyler Murray is going to be under center a lot more. Let's go, so, how different is it going to look? Well, we'll talk about that, especially with Kyler when we come back once again training camp first open practice July twenty seventh, that's next Thursday. Azcardinals dot Com slash Camp ticks Camp tix. We continue with a Big Red Rage and kind.
Speaker 1: An injured Cardinal.
Speaker 4: It's Kyler who went down very awkwardly that time as he tried to cut oh, no, non contact. He cut right, then tried to cut left and just buckled, And there was a Patriot player right there who called to the Cardinals sideline to bring on the training staff.
Speaker 7: You know, I got better every year and then to take like a you know, hit a wall year four, especially after going through the whole contract thing, like I got COVID in camp. I hurt my wrist in camp, so I missed a lot of those reps, and then trying to play catch up during the season. It was just kind of like a compilation of things going on. I think winning cures all and it's been tough to do that with some of the circumstances that we had to deal with. But I think we're heading the right direction.
Speaker 3: Some compelling, gripping content. It's Cardinal's flight Plan, Emmy Award winning tell you in this record heat. Here's a pro tip. Go to YouTube dot com Azy Cardinals check out the latest flight plan. There's a reason that Quarterback on Netflix is the number one trending show. And I'll tell you this episode featuring Kyler all access an aspect not only a Kyler in his rehab, but just Kyler unplugged in so many different ways. We've seen him in a different light. He's talking about different topics. We get insight into the franchise quarterback in so many different ways we had yet to see or hear that. It's just great stuff. Welcome back into the Big Red Rage presented by Santan forwarding Gilbert. We are Santan Ford. That was definitely a memorable moment there Wolf talking about hitting a wall last year. He'd gotten better every single year, Rookie of the Year, two Pro Bowls. What else stood out to you when you watched Flight Plan?
Speaker 1: Yeah, first of all, Paula, I just want to talk about Kyler Murray and how candid he was. That to me really got my attention right there. I love that because you know me, PAULI, if you want to get better, and Kyler he needs to get better, and he'll be the first one to tell you that every pro out there needs to get better. And if you need to get better, Paul, you got to tell the truth. You got to tell the truth about where you need to get better. And as I listen to Kyler in regard to the flight plan and the cuts on flight plan. That was my biggest takeaway. He was telling the truth about himself and he wasn't always painting this rosy image. He's got to get better. He's got to get better as a leader. He knows he's got to impact his teammates and how you impact your teammates and how you go about doing that. You can't just be super harsh all the time. You've got to sometimes be soft. You got to pick the person to deal with. Right there. The one thing you got to do more than anything else, Polly, is be consistent as a leader. And I think Kyler Murray understands that. And I was really encouraged because when you talk about a franchise quarterback, I am sold on the fact that you need your franchise quarterback to lead your team, not just your offense, to lead your team.
Speaker 3: Remember what Jonathan Gannas said right after taking the job, quote if Kyler is an here, I don't take the job.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, and you're right, you saw Kyler in a self deprecating way, sort of poking fund in himself.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: He loves to shop that. He said, quote, you know, maybe I need to slow that down a little bit. He talks about how the world might think he's a professional video game player. He said, quote, definitely not the case. So he was self deprecating and I think he showed some self awareness that comes with four years in the league. And he talked about that.
Speaker 7: I've brought a lot off the field and on the field, whether you know, trying to show people that now, But yeah, I'm wiser, you know, emotionally, you know, learning how to you know, be one with the emotions, understanding you know, how to talk to certain people. Some people maybe you'll take the harsh way, which I'm naturally that way, or do I have to soften it up and you know, give him, give him a little love.
Speaker 3: When he says that, well, I think of a Kurt Warner. I think of a Carson Palmer. They were excellent and knowing how they could talk to each different guy on the offense, everybody on the sideline. They treat it maybe a little bit differently, and they are experts at that. To what degree do you think that's the next step for Kyler as a franchise.
Speaker 1: Queue, Well, PAULI, it's huge, it really is. It's one thing to intellectually understand things, and Kyler needs to do that. He needs to take a next step intellectually to understand the old schemes and blend them with the news schemes and be able to execute all of them. He needs to take that next step. But Paulie, there's no doubt about it. Man, when you start talking about your your your leadership skills in the way they impact everyone else around you, I can tell you from experience right now, that's where he needs to grow, and I think grow the most. And I'm really encouraged that he's willing to address this and talk about getting better in regard to doing this, Paula, I was one of these guys. I know exactly what he's talking about. I was the harsh guy too, okay, because I was out of my mind when I was playing. I was absolutely out of my mind. And because of that, it was so harsh to guys on the field and they were harsh to me. And I responded to that. I like that. I enjoyed the truth. I enjoyed the intensity of that. And Kyler has got to improve in how he communicates with everybody else to get him to be better. And this is a huge step for him going forward.
Speaker 3: He was just asked about the change in head coach, the change in the system, the change in the culture, just everything that has happened this offseason. Here was Kyler Murray on flight Plan.
Speaker 7: I feel free in a sense, you know, especially with the change of upstairs in the organization. I feel like they've done a great job ever since they came in, holding people accountable, the leadership. They're really trying to build something from the ground up, so the offense, the ins and outs of it, the way we're going. I feel like personally, like you know, sky's the limit.
Speaker 3: Now, are we going to get a timetable? Are we going to get a target date on his return? Not likely and it's uncertain, I think unknown now he stated his goal is week one, Okay, is that realistic? Remember he's coming off of torn acl He's coming off the meniscus damage from that game in early December against New England. So okay, what's the realistic timetable? No one knows. Here's what we do know. Ron Wolfley. His cap number this year is sixteen million. His cap number next year is fifty two million. Oh, he needs to get on the field. They need to see him. They need to see him in this offense. They need to make progress to some degree of some sort this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so interesting to hear him talk about accountability to Paul and the way Ja and his coaches are stressing that accountability. Paul, that's where discipline starts. Never forget that, Bully, that's where it starts. Accountability. And anytime you talk about accountability, you are talking about telling the truth as you know it. Yes, it is subjective. You're telling the truth as you know it about somebody else and how they're doing their business, about how Kyler's doing his whatever it is. You've got to tell the truth. And that's what accountability is all about. Because you need your franchise quarterback to hold himself to a standard. Bully, You've heard me talk about this many times, to hold himself to a standard. He's not going to hold anyone else too. And once that happens, and once his teammates see that he'll do that, that he'll be accountable above all else and hold himself to a standard. Now all of a sudden, they'll take that harsh critique from Kyler Murray.
Speaker 3: All right, So what didn't you make of his quote in Darren Urban story in Azycardinals dot Com, where Kyler said, quote, I'm going to listen, I'm going to be coachable, and I'm going to do it to the best of my ability. But if this bleep ain't working at some point, we all have to look in the mirror.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's the obvious. It is. There's no doubt about it. Any coach would tell you that with any quarterback, with anybody that is new to a team, and you're going to go out and run different schemes. Everybody knows that's it. If it's not working, you're going to have to try something else. Yeah, everybody understands that. I don't know if Kyler was actually talking about the old regime, talking about the old offense, Polly or this offense. If he's talking about this offense here with Drew Pettsing of course, and JG. I hope he wasn't because to me, I don't want him to set himself up for any kind of failure. What the Arizona Cardinals need from Kyler Murray is to buy in one hundred percent to what Drew Petsing and JG want to do. Monti aussin for what they want to do. He needs to buy in one hundred percent. Paulie.
Speaker 3: My thought when I heard that was twenty twenty one, second half of that season where they started seven to oh ten and two.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you did think the old one.
Speaker 3: I thought twenty twenty one where we talked about adjust to the adjustment that defenses had definitely adjusted had the Cardinals offense. But I don't know, No one knows. I do know this talking about this offense. Don't forget what Jonathan Gannon told Peter King. He said, and I quote, We're not gonna put him in the gun all the time. I'll tell you that. And he said, that's how you open up Kyler Murray is you don't make the defense depend you make them defend all play types, yes, not just those in the gun.
Speaker 1: So to be, Paulie, whatever you need to be in order to beat your opponent.
Speaker 3: By the way, Season six, episode five of Cardinal's Flight Plan available now in the Cardinals YouTube page. That's YouTube dot com slash a Zy Cardinals. We continue with a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Let's go ba.
Speaker 6: That's lunch today, baby, that's lunch.
Speaker 8: There we go this roundners, this double double?
Speaker 1: Is this quarters? What is it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Get open and catch it. Job description is pretty easy. You got it, Get got it right there? Take it back? There you go, Isaiah.
Speaker 3: Good ball, good ball, Colt, there we go. Good footwork, good footwork.
Speaker 5: I say yea, I see ya.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Heat out, huddle, let's go, Colt, Let's go, Colt.
Speaker 1: Come run now, let's go.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Baby. No balls on the.
Speaker 7: Ground, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Let's go.
Speaker 7: Let's compete.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's compete. Let's go.
Speaker 8: Russ rush.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be late, dude.
Speaker 3: You gotta go run, Psycho run.
Speaker 6: We need touchdowns down here, we need touchdowns, touchdowns, touchdowns.
Speaker 1: It's good, in't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Colt, you haven't seen that in seventeen years?
Speaker 6: Baby?
Speaker 2: Whoa got got Oh?
Speaker 3: Good ball, touchdown, good ball, good luck trying to match the inner ga the head coach JG Wow. Another great reason to go to Azycardinals dot com or the YouTube page YouTube dot com slash az Cardinals. Jonathan Gannon wired at one of the mandatory mini camp practices just to reaction that well was the guy who played ten years in the League. You know, we posed the question Rob Frederickson a couple of weeks ago here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford and it's a proverbial question. Do teams take on the identity of the head coach? And his response was, teams most definitely take on the culture set by the head coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paula, and the culture for the Arizona Cardinals in training camp is going to include a lot of yelling. This is one of the things that I again, I love it just watching some OTA practices, of course, and yes I was standing at a distance, but still to hear some of the elevated voices on the field from some of the coaches. To me, that is music. It's music to my ears. It's what this team needs is discipline and accountability. And you needn't speak it. And JG obviously is a guy that likes to speak it, likes to yell. I am interested in what he meant to Colt McCoy when he said you haven't seen that in seventeen years. Okay, what was that? What was he talking about? Right there? That's got my interest ball all right?
Speaker 3: So as we go into training camp powered by Cox starts next week. Get your free Cardinals camp tickets now Acycardinals dot com slash camp ticks. That's cemp ti X. There are those relationships that are formed in a training camp. Of course, Kyler Murray has a leg up on a lot of guys because both Jonathan Gann and a lot of members of this Cardinals staff went out to Norman, Oklahoma for his statue unveiling right after he won the Heisman, and so they went ahead and unveiled that statue and there was JG and company, and Kyler Murray was talking about that relationship with his new head coach.
Speaker 7: It's been seamless. You know, I means JG hit it off. You know, he sees things the last see things, or he can relate to the guys and he, you know, genuinely feels like he believes in the guys and trying to get the guys better, me better. I feel like, you know, you run through a wall for that type of guy. And that's the type of energy that he brings.
Speaker 3: So look, once again, he's made it clear, Jonathan Gannon, he doesn't take the job if Kyler Murray isn't the franchise quarterback. So now the key is, Okay, how do you maximize that skill set? How do you have an offense that really utilizes a Kyler Murray one of those very unique players in the league. Because he also talked to Lank Jonathan Gannon and we took the job about how that's what made defending the Cardinals so tough as a defensive coordinator with the Eagles, he said, you know what, that's what handcuffs you as a defensive coordinator, keeps you up during the week, and in order to do that, I'm just curious, Well, how different can the offense look with Colt McCoy running it versus and versus Kyler Murray and where that might be tracking through camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pauly, anytime that Kyler Murray is at quarterback, you have to worry about his legs. You just have to worry about that, not just in terms of pulling the ball down and running, not just in terms of a zone reed being run out on the field, not just that way, Paully, but also just moving outside of the pocket. And this is one of the big things they've got to do with Kyler. They got to get him on the move outside of the pocket, and that's going to be one of the reasons why I'm very interested to see what they do with the tackle zone and the bootlegs and the waggles that come off of it. That to me, is going to be a big part of what they do. And you know, PAULI, Kyler Murray and JG. They don't need to be super tight, they really don't. I hope JG is. One of the things I loved about him is he was a defensive minded head coach. So it's not like they're going to be in deep down in the weeds with the offensive scheme. For the most part. It's going to be more on the superficial level with JG and the development emotionally and spiritually with Kyler Murray. And I love that. I think that's the best way to proceed.
Speaker 3: And you know what, it's interesting because Larry Fitzgerald was on twelve News was asked by cam Cox just about what he's been hearing about Kyler Murray. Larry was there at the very beginning and now is Kyler enters year number five. Here's what fits had to say.
Speaker 9: And I've heard positive things from teammates that he's you know, he's really taking an active role in building strong relationships. You know, those things that I saw that really you know, ingratiated, like Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer, like they were doing things to really build the relationships with their teammates, and those that goes a long way, because when you're on the football field and he asked you to do something, you know it's coming from a good place and that's only built and developed, you know, when you open yourself up to people. And I hear he's doing more of that, and that really made me happy.
Speaker 3: And you know what we saw last year with hard knocks. Around the second half of last season, there was Kyler every Thursday night, I believe it was with the offensive lineman dinner. He was hanging out with the guy guys. So you know there's an existing relationship. There's also a lot of new names and faces. Yeah, and so you know he has to build that sort of rapport, especially with offensive linemen. In fact, DJ Humphreys when he met the media right before going on the summer break, I mean these two go back all four years of Kylo's career, but even DJ said, as they've rehabbed together, the following.
Speaker 8: I feel like I've been learning a lot about college becase we've been in the training room a lot, you know what I mean. So it's like off season training is the real work. Off season training is really like how much do you care about football? How often are you going to come in here? How long are you That's like, that's really this is when you build that callus for real. So that's been I got to really like, I feel like I've gotten to know him more this off season just being around him and see him attack this rehab like this has been impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what. Once again, when you're around your teammates and you get to know him a lot better, they can see that you actually care for them. And you know, Paul, you don't play the game of football, so your teammate will care for you. Okay, Paul, let me understand that you know this is this is something that you know me, Go do your job. Go do your job. But it certainly does help if a player will believe that you actually got his best interest at heart right now. And that's why Kyler when he deals with his teammates, he can be harsh. As I said earlier, he can be soft as well, as I said earlier, but more than anything else, Paul, he's got to be sincere. He's got to And if you're going to be a little in somebody's face, keep it private, you have to do it with a little tac PAULI keep it private. Remember too, that Kurt Warner, you talk about accountability, and we were talking a little bit about that earlier, but Kurt Warner was famous for saying, it's always the quarterback's fault, always, and that, to me is something that Kyler Murray needs to learn as well.
Speaker 3: Even when it wasn't Kurt's fault, correct, he would take the blame correct, which was remarkable, and you know what, it just garnered him more respect in that locker room. What we saw the clip and flight plan where he came up on Josh Jones, and I remember that vividly. On the sideline. Josh Jones had been struggling a little bit with some pre snap penalties and Kyler didn't make it two pointed, but he came out by him. He looked him right in the eye and just wanted to do sort of a wellness check. Are you good? Are we straight here? You know? Are you getting your mind? Right, because look, you know Wolf, there are the things right, and there's those things you can control. You can control your effort, you can control your attention to detail. And let's not mince words. Last year the Cardinals had the most pre snap penalties in the NFL. Yes, that's correctable, and that can come down to the winning behavior that Jonathan Gannon talks about. That can come down to this sort of shall we say accountability? My favorite question you know him the last couple months of the off season was asking players, so as Jonathan Gannon held you accountable? Yet every one of them said yes, whether it wasn't in a team, it was out in a walkthrough, it was in a practice. So I think it's that constant expectation, Yes, that sets the standard.
Speaker 1: I would also say it's interesting to use the word expectation. I will use the word demand, demand that you do your job. This is this is really powerful stuff, Balie. When you've got a Bill Bellijack who who doesn't yell, He rarely raises his voice. The no days off, that was the most I ever heard him yell. The highest pitch I've ever heard him yell when he was yelling at right now. But to me, he didn't have to yell because everyone knew you were either going to do your job and if you didn't do your job, you were going to be gone. And everyone knew what the standard was with him. And it's going to be interesting to see how that impacts hers on a Cardinals going forward as a coaching staff.
Speaker 3: You know former card quarterback Drew stan thirteen years in the league. Yes, he said on a recent episode of The Red Sea Report. Why do all these hot young coordinators fail as head coaches because they're not leaders of men. It's no longer about the x's and o's when you're a head coach. Most of the time it's about are you a leader of that locker room? And when Zamon Collins told the media in the offseason that players feel the pressure quote and it's a good thing end quote, I thought that was revealing. Yeah, he's you know, when Zamon Collins gets admonished on the first team meeting because he's eating breakfast, comes walking in with his bowl of eggs, as he told it, and the head coach says, thou shalt not multitask because if you're devoting any attention to your breakfast, that means you're detracting attention from the task at hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah that No, You're exactly right in this is what you need to do if you want to build discipline that is part of your culture, that is a DNA of your culture. Is what kind of discipline? What kind of discipline do you have inside that locker room right now? And I like, I like the fact, PAULI that you're you're characterizing this training camp is no allegiance. Okay. I like that, Paul, because that's the mentality going forward, and every guy in that locker room knows it. You know.
Speaker 3: I also have a seasoned slogan of sorts. And a may or may not play out a twenty twenty three dip for a twenty twenty four rip, okay, Paul, And I say that because you know what, there might be an eye on next year, in the year after when they formulate this year's roster. We'll get into that next single game tickets are on sale now. Go to a Zycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats. Today we continue with a Big Red Rage presented by Santan Forward in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Great Read by col McCoy.
Speaker 4: Gord just tossed by Colt McCoy.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is a greasy throw by Colt McCoy right there, spin that pig, Colt.
Speaker 7: He's got that or about him, you know, that that confident he just you know, he knows what the defense is doing. He knows what everybody else is supposed to be doing.
Speaker 1: So it's a great to I.
Speaker 7: Love having him, you know, I love having him around. He's a great dude, you know, despite him being a long boy, he's great dude.
Speaker 3: There you go a little Texas trash talk in there. I mean, seriously, like the whole QB room as Texas roots just about by the way, Ron wolfully next time we run into col McCoy, And that was Kyler Murray talking about his fellow quarterback. What exactly is a greasy pass?
Speaker 1: Well, Paul An I would say, if you've got covered too by way of example, and maybe you line a guy up in the slot and he runs a seven route, which is a corner route, and you get a corner that that doesn't come, that doesn't suck up, but carries the fade, as we like to say, suddenly you've got a corner and a safety over the top. And if you can throw that ball perfectly and allow a guy to make that catch in between the safety and the corner. That's a greasy throw. For the most part.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 3: How how do you think this offense will look? And is that too brought a question? Because you know we're in the final segment here on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford. We could probably talk about this and you could probably grease it up on the whiteboard. But how different do you think this thing is going to look? Especially if Cole McCoy is your week one starter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, And that is the big question going into training camp. Once again, it's one of the reasons why we started this show by talking about that very thing. I don't know what to expect, but I hope to find out. And just going with the offensive line from day one, that first individual period, just going with the offensive line and seeing what is being taught that to me is going to tell me awful lot. And then of course it extends to team and it extends outside of that. Of course, nine on sevens. It's a constant process, but you have to start on day one, if you want to emphasize something, and that's why I'm hoping we see some power schemes. Power schemes, PAULI our down blocks and then pulling the uncovered linemen and kicking out their old school schemes. They're very, very physical, and you need guys like Will Hernandez by way of example, to run a power scheme. DJ Humphreys to run a power scheme. You need these guys Paris Johnson Junior to be able to come off the ball and run these power schemes. Because you're gonna run the zone. We all know you're gonna run the zone schemes. Everybody in the league runs the zone schemes. What I want to see is how much of the power we're gonna run, because that, to me, really gets the attention of a front seven. And then, Pauli, you can use play action off of that front seven. You can use play action throw the ball down the field. And Paul let me just say this right now. The Arizona Cardinals were number thirty two in yards per play passing yards per play, number thirty two in the league, dead last in the league. They didn't throw the ball down the field as you well know, and this is where they need to improve the most. The best way to do that attack the line of scrimmage, suck up the second level and throw the ball down the field, and.
Speaker 3: From all accounts, they're gonna be throwing the ball to the tight end a lot more. Here's Cole McCoy talking to the media just on the offense and what might lie ahead.
Speaker 10: We stayed in like ten personnel and eleven personnel a lot right with Cliff and that was sort of our identity. I think here we'll implement more two tight end sets and running the football and have it more like checks and alerts and things like that that we'll get James going, hopefully get him in the right looks. And the offensive line has done a tremendous job in this offsese. I think that's been the best part of everything is Clayton has got those guys you know, dialed into you know what we're doing, who were blocking different fronts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I've said it before, I'll say it again. I think the offensive line is going to exceed the national expectations this year on this team. We'll see about that, but I think they're enthused about having the quarterback under center because it opens up so much more. I think they were fired up about the scheme. You mentioned the power. You asked Will Hernandez about that. He smiled a very broad smile, did he not when he brought that up with the mauling guard? Who's gonna be your starter right guard? And don't forget a year ago, according to next Gen stats, Kyler Murray led all quarterbacks and shotgun percentage. And when you had Jonathan Gannett talked to Peter King right after he was hired and before Drew Petsen jokingly half jokingly admonished Jonathan Gannett for being so open with Peter King.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Those two were kind of going back and forth. These gave them a hard time. Jonathan ganna said, just to revisit what I mentioned earlier, that quote, the offen is gonna look much different. Uh, we can take Kyler to another level, unleash's full skulls skill set. We're going the key is putting Kyler more under center. End quote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bully, And it really is. And again, what it does when you take a quarterback and you put him under center. You've heard me talk about this before, but it is the truth, and you can't. You can't say it enough. It tells every offensive linement up there, we believe in you. Now, go do your job, Go go block your guy. We believe in you because everyone knows what you're gonna do. For the most part, when you put somebody under center, you're gonna you're gonna run a lot of that north south stuff. You're gonna run the tackle zone. You're gonna go ahead and run it. You're gonna use play action. That's what you're gonna do. The problem is now you've got to defend it because your eyes will betray you. And that's the problem. It has been around since the beginning of the game of football. Your eyes will betray you. And because of that, you've almost got a guess. A team that runs great play action, a team that runs the ball very well and uses great play action, their offensive line comes off the ball low. They keep their head down low even though you're throwing the ball. An offensive line that is like that is so important because it impacts that defense, and they've almost got a guess. Did he hand the ball off or did he not? And that's the power of that play.
Speaker 5: Paulie.
Speaker 3: In fact, I'm looking at the rest of the quote. Jonathan Gannon went on to tell Peter King quote, We'll have two significant offenses with Kyler skillset, one being under center, one being in the gun. The way to take pressure off the quarterback in the old line is to put him under center at times. In fact, speaking to the old lineers, d J jumfrees on what he likes about Drew Petsien and the scheme that he's been installing.
Speaker 8: I like to a lot Drew is a really good communicator and getting stuff across that he wants to get done and how he wants us to be. So I'm a big fan of Drew his personality and how he is with getting guys to understand stuff and making sure that we're all on the same page and kind of take it and make it an emphasis to make sure we'd hone in on all the small details.
Speaker 3: And look, Cold McCoy shared with the media, it's different. It's very different, and you know it's new for everyone. Cold McCoy has run a version of this scheme at times in his career. He's been with so many different teams and he's been in the league so long. But Colt said even he has been prone to a lot of mistakes during the off season. So this Cardinals can't come and straight ahead is going to be critical when you're putting in a brand new system.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the things that I thought was really interesting is, well, let's remember Drew Petsing actually got after JG for telling them, yeah, it was what they were going to do. He actually got after JG on that. And you know, I hope that is what they're gonna do, PAULI, I really do hope we're going to see the Cleveland Brown offense and run down situation. We're going to see a lot of it. It's not like they never go shotgun they do. It's not like they never go pistol they do. But a lot of the time in rundown situation first and ten second and one to six, they're going to line up and they're going to try to run the ball. And to your point, I think the offensive line is actually going to be better than what most people think. I'm with you on that, Paul. I think you're right on that, and because of it, I hope they give them the opportunity to prove it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And look, I told you earlier. If you're looking for a fantasy football sleeper James Connor. Yeah, he's gonna get a lot of touches. He's gonna get a lot of opportunities to get in the end zone. There's a lot of, shall we say, a lack of clarity behind James Connor on the depth chart. I think he's going to be a workhorse running back and they're going to emphasize the run game, especially until Kyler gets back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, you've got a lot of athletes in the box right now because of the proliferation of the spread offense in the National Football League. You got a lot of guys that are light. You got three techniques that are two hundred and eighty nine pounds. Now, Aaron Donald, he's the best player ever to play. But you've got a lot of athletes in that box. And I've been telling you about this, Paul. You know what, Not all of them are football players. A lot of them are athletes. They were in the box because now, all of a sudden, their athletic skill allowed them to work against the spread. To me, you got to find out who those guys are and you got to get him into a fistfight.
Speaker 3: Look, we know how DJ Humphreys. Revere's going after the run game straight ahead, coming off the ball. Yes, Will Hernandez's game right what he tell you? He's winning like three point fifty plus? Right, Okay, you said he was going to get it down the open yelled to Frohold the starting center. We think, at least as of right now, that he's old school. He's like, oh he doesn't these strong man lifting type, you know, techniques and so forth, that would seem to be well suited Wolf if they're going to come off the ball. Especially they added to Zach Pascal, a blocking receiver. I mean they have some of the personnel now. They added some blocking tight end ends. They signed two undrafted rookie tight ends. One guy was a former offensive lineman who had like one career catch in college. Right, So yes, I can see them mucking it up this year and getting down and dirty in the trenches offensively.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Especially to your point when you got a guy like James Connor, are you kidding me? Line him up, put his toes at seven and let him attack the line of scrimmage. Let him do that, because that's gonna suck up that second level. He runs the ball very well in between tackles. But this is gonna be dogma, Paul, This is gonna be belief. And that's why what the Arizona Cardinals run on day one of training camp to me, is what they're really trying to emphasize. So what will that be and what will that look like? I can't wait, Paul.
Speaker 3: And to come full circle on this conversation. We started with quarterback Kyler Murray Cole McCoy. I'll just throw out there at Clayton Tune. He's gonna be given every opportunity in Cardinals camp. From what we can tell, the round five pick forty four starts over five seasons at Houston had the best passing granted college football last year according to Pro Football Focus, the highest on target percentage according to Pro Football Focus. And you know, at least for me, Wolf, that's something I'm going to be following on day one in that first week because nothing gets us through the preseason and then a backup quarterback controversy. Okay, we need the backup quarterback competition and Clayton Tune's going to be integral to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, I was talking about that earlier with you. Of course, just the storylines Kyler Murray's health, of course, Vudha's contract, the culture construct in other words, what's going on? How are they going to build this culture offensively, defensively and in transition as well. And then my fourth storyline. Fourth storyline was Clayton Tune. Will they actually give him an opportunity? Knowing what they have fully in Colt McCoy, will they give Clayton Tune an opportunity to compete for that spot?
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you what. If you're looking at some of the other rookies, take a long look at the receiver out of Stanford, the round three pick, Michael Wilson. Wow, did he flash? A lot of guys really raved about him. In the off season, we didn't see much of bjo Jelai. We didn't see Garrett Williams the second and third round picks there. But I tell you some of the day three picks. Dante Stills, your guy, the d lineman out of West Virginia. He got a lot of props and praise from the defensive coaches through all the drills, Key Troll Clark, he was a standout with the corners. They need cornerbacks. There's no question. So we'll see. I've called it the land of opportunity. Yeah, if you're a young guy or unproven guy.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it, Pully. But now all of a sudden, it doesn't matter what you've done to this point. You're gonna put that mouthguard in and you're gonna bloody up the knuckles.
Speaker 3: Let's go Training Camp powered by Cox first Open Training Camp Practice Thursday, July twenty seventh, one week from today. Azycardls dot Com Slash Camp ticks Camp tix for your free Cardinal Camp tickets. You can get them right now. Special thanks as always. Executive producer Jim Mo Mohandro, Associate producer Cody Fincher, Welcome Cody Alpert, Technical director Mitch Barldis Ron Wofully on Paul calBC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 5: Number one.
Speaker 2: Til you've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, are you santan.
Speaker 5: Ford State Farm?
Speaker 2: Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts.
Speaker 5: This has been an exclusive
Speaker 2: Presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football card