Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Sonny Vacaro has a book. It's called Legends and Souls, the memoir of an American Original. It's just been released available online wherever books are sold. A little background here on Sonny. I think I met Sonny in nineteen eighty three. I covered his basketball camp when it was in New Jersey and it was also part of a TV show at CNN with Sonny. We did a college basketball show and he was a great resource for me over the years. Whenever I needed something set straight, or there was a rumor about a coaching change, somebody getting hired fired, I always went to Sonny, and Sonny would always if he knew something, then he would tell me he'd set me straight. And we've stayed in touch for whatever forty years now, and so I knew the story about when he was getting Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan was Mike Jordan at North Carolina and hit the shot that won the national title against Georgetown. Now Sonny's job, Sonny was trying to grow Nike. Nike was a running shoe company, and Sonny went all in. Bob Knight saw Michael Jordan and said that guy's going to be the greatest basketball player of all time. And you had Adidas and Converse, who were the big shoe companies at the time. Adidas big shoe company, and Converse had been established for quite some time prior to that. But Sonny realized that they had a budget and he was saying, use the entire budget on Michael Jordan. So he goes to Phil Knight, the CEO of Nike, and says, put all the money here on that guy. I'm betting on that guy. Well, Sonny's had a lot of different lives in this business. He got fired by Nike, he went to Adidas a signed Kobe to his first shoe deal. Sonny was, you know, friends with Kobe's dad, Joe, who played in Italy. And then he went to UH. He was trying to get Lebron. He thought he had Lebron. And there's a great chapter in the book where they're meeting in Malibu and he thinks he's going to sign Lebron James to his first deal and Sonny tells Lebron's mother it's going to be one hundred million dollar deal. It's going to be a ten year, one hundred million dollar deal. She starts crying like this is and then they go into the meeting. Sonny thinks he has one hundred million dollars to play with with Lebron James, and all of a sudden realizes that Adidas is giving a certainly a lot less than that with some incentives in there, and you know, and Sonny even said, you know, go go to Nike. I can't help you here, Go get the better deal. And he's also the guy who helped bring about name, image and likeness for athletes the Ed O'Bannon case, and Sonny was very integral in years trying to get that case heard against the NCAA so players could get paid. It's been a long, long career, crazy career. Sonny Vaccaro joins us on the program. Sonny, congratulations on the book. Really well done.
Speaker 3: It's been something I wanted to do all my life and postponed it because my life kept I was doing something else. And then after Obannon, that really gave me the impetus how much more could I do? And I want to say, but I'm proud of it. I'm not afraid of it, Dan, not afraid of it. All everything we said in there, I can back up with facts and not fiction.
Speaker 2: What's the story you say for the book?
Speaker 3: I think the ending of my relig ship with Michael is much more powerful than the beginning, because the ending shows we just come back from Europe on a ten day you know, travel trip, you know, publicizing Michael, you know Pamlauer, you know you saw the pictures and everything. We come home. They asked me to do one more thing for the signing with Michael, you know, the autographs for the NBA and all that with Miji Johnson, that I go in for that meeting, and then three days later, after all that, that last you know, month of my life with Nike, I get betrayed. I think that had to be told. There was never told before. They didn't know, you know, they didn't know that the story was already written for me, even when I went to Europe, even when I did the last most important things that I could have done with Jordan.
Speaker 2: Here's where I'm confused, Sonny. Phil Knight, CEO of Nike, comes off really petty in the book, and it feels like Michael Jordan turned us back on what was real, the real story, and you signing him. But you do say in the book that Michael said he doesn't have a problem with you, but he still could have spoken up and told the truth. How much does it hurt with what feels like Phil Knight was trying to rewrite history here.
Speaker 3: I knew what was going to happen when he stoked his memoir in nineteen eighty seven when he still has he's still living. That was a long time ago, and he stopped where I got really involved with Michael. For all the things you'll read in a book that hurt, the lives that were perpetrated, you know by you know, you know Michael had no reason to do this except he had once I was let go. I mean, Michael and I were closer than I am to anyone in that world. You know that the world would know that all the athletes I've been around and including Kobe and whatever, we were actually together for seven years traveling the world. When you read the book, you know the opening things Michael hurt me because he didn't have to do it. And when you read when the chapter where he almost left, he almost left. So it was that close that I was still involved with Michael. That hurt Raveling's just a bad human being who was my my biggest you know, hurt in the world because it was so personal. You know, it was personal, and it turned out his life continued. You know, I am able to say what I said about him, you know, in a special chapter because he was deceitful. He didn't hurt Sonny Vako. He hurt the world that he lived in as far as dealing with athletes and being honest and being portrayed in other situations as being an honest person. Those three guys all had a different hurt. But Michael always had this affinity for because other than you know, Levant Knight, obviously Levant Nike, you know, Nike was just a part of me and Michael. There were personal things in there that that you know, that airplane ride where he played gin for ten hours. I had many I had. I arranged his birthday party in Las Vegas. I opened up the gates for him in Las Vegas, you know, because he liked the golf and you know, do whatever else he did. But that was personal. That one was still personal. I don't have the same you know, feelings for Michael that I do for Raveling and Night, that's for sure. I still you know, he he did great things. It's a shame that he forgot where he started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George Traveling was best man at your wedding and a friend for a long time former college coach, and went to work for Nike. Uh after you were let go. So uh and you wait till the very end of the book, and even there's some trepidation where you're even going to write about George Raveling in your relationship ship. But let me go back to Michael Jordan. We're talking to Sonny that Carol. The book is Legends and Souls, the memoir of an American original, available wherever books are sold. What happens to Nike if Michael doesn't sign with Nike?
Speaker 3: Jame set match over. I honestly believe there's no reason to be other than pretend that Mike the Nike would have been successful. There was nothing on the agenda that was successful. We were the this was the last roll of the dice man. This was they were going all in and they didn't know it.
Speaker 2: But Adidas would they What would mikey Michael have done to Adidas?
Speaker 3: I don't think it ever would have happened the way it happened. He still would have been Michael, but he's still with the other guys, he'd have been camouflaged by them. He never would have gotten this opportunity. They're signing with Nike and then us promoting him, and then we were the only show for him. Otherwise all the all the things from Nike went right to Jordan. It wouldn't have happened or the Das. They had great players, and so did conference to defend them in some way. They were stupid now, but they weren't that stupid in nineteen eighty four. It was a business decision. No one, including Sonny, I just knew he was the only one to bet the money on. The other guys weren't worth it for whatever reason. You know, I go into that. I just I don't think and I'll look foolish baby to your audience. And this isn't the grief. I mean, it's just fact. If you look at the books, you'll see that there was no money left, that's all. What the hell are they going to do?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I wonder what it would have done to the global shoe industry as well.
Speaker 3: Well. That's the best question I think we're to saw because none of the signings after that by the athletes, you know, getting right, the seth Curry to where we are today and all the girls now getting that. It would have taken time because no one was betting on one person. There was no person that crossed over that line, not the financial line, the black, the white line, the media line. We found a hero that was unbelievable. Then the commercials were perfect. I doubt if anybody else Spike Lee doesn't generate towards Michael the other guys like he would have. He did Michael Jordan's All the things happened like right in a sequence, like it was a story already written, and it's at so fail Parks. None of these, none of these other companies would have done it. I mean, I don't believe.
Speaker 2: Did you know that Nike Michael was going to get fined when he wore the black and red shoes and he was told that he couldn't. I knew that was a marketing ployee by Nike.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I knew it, you know, as quickly as anyway. Except Rob and Peter. They they've told me everything about it. And I was erwin. You know, Rob said we'll pay the fines. Yeah, that was that was a kick him in. He asked thing by Rob Strausser. They said, all right, we'll pay the dang thing, you know, the five thousand whatever it was, and that to him and his personality said, we're not stopping, We're going all in. That's we did that all in thing a few times that you didn't see the movie and where you know Rob and Peter, you know where the brains behind this was. I was the glue maybe whatever.
Speaker 2: Did you have the same feeling about Lebron that you did Michael when you first saw him.
Speaker 3: No, it was a whole different. I saw Lebron three years earlier than Michael. I knew him as a fifteen year old. I watched him when I traveled to San Francisco to see him personally when he invited. I was in his house as a youngster, not as a grown man in his twenties. So no, Lebron, Lebron and Kobe were totally different than you know, my approach.
Speaker 2: I knew them.
Speaker 3: Kobe's going back to his pairent, Lebron going back to the origins. So I knew these two kids were pretty good. And mcgrady's the only other one that I had a sense of feeling, you know, because now the kids are seventeen, eighteen and nineteen. I've got to make a decision. Michael was still twenty two, you know, he was an older guy and played in the National Championship, so he was a known commodity. These kids weren't.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Sonny Vacera. The new book, Legends and Souls, available wherever you buy your books. And I want people to understand this. I've known you for a long time, over forty years. Your best accomplishment is marrying Pam. But after that, you signed Michael, you signed Kobe, you nearly signed Lebron. But then what you did with Ed O'Bannon and taking on the NCAA is really your legacy and should be your legacy because you paved the way with the help of Ed O'Bannon, former UCLA great to allow players to get paid. You help usher in name, image and likeness, and not without a long fight. Then you should be commended that you went to bat for him and that ed Ed trusted you that you would represent him correctly. So that is a there's a lot of time devoted in the book, and rightfully so, because that is a landmark decision on your part, and because of that, I don't I know you. I've known you a long long time. You should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame as a contributor. You should be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and should never did anything. What am I going to tell you? I can't control.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would. I would love to. I'd like to go to work on it. I'd like to be able to just tell the I'd like to remind people of contributions to the game, global impact. Coaches, coaches got paid, players are now getting paid, high school kids, high school coaches like all of that. This is when Michael Jordan should step up, and I'm being serious and write a letter to the Basketball Hall of Fame saying that you should be in there.
Speaker 3: I appreciate what you're saying and what other people have said. You know, it's hard for the person you're talking about the situation.
Speaker 2: You're humble, you don't have to say anything, but I'll leave it at that. I hope that there's some representation who can help you get in. Good to talk to you. Congrats some on the book.
Speaker 3: Thank you sir, Thank you very much, and God bless you in the family. And I hope we have dinner and a good Italian dinner in New York.
Speaker 2: Sonny Vicaro Legends and Souls, the memoir of an American original. It's just released inovailable online wherever books are sold. Imagine all of these coaches and players if they got together and signed a petition what he meant for them, change lives. I mean, Michael alone wrote a letter and just said Sonny should be in the Basketball Basketball Hall of Fame. Contributions to the game. He changed college basketball, he changed Nike, he changed the shoe business. Now you might say, you know, it's the CD underworld, and you know all of that I've heard from people. Look, I love the man. I've known him for forty years and his wife Pam. So when you think about contributions to the game, to the game of basketball, his name is front and center. It really is. All right. We'll take a break. Some phone calls coming up. The great actor Woody Harrelson. His new movie Last Breath comes out today. He'll join us coming up in about forty five minutes from now. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search sr to listen. Live.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 2: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich Final hour to Meet Friday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. We'll check in with the Golden State Warriors after the incredible performance by Steph Curry last night in Orlando and the great actor Woody Harrelson's new movie Last Breath. He will join us coming up as well. Age seven to seven three DP Show Email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Our radio affiliates around the country. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio, and it is a Meet Friday. I just went and inspected the Tregger grills. The smoked baby back ribs look delish, mac and cheese Coleslaw. Who has it better than we do. Make sure you go to Danpatrick dot com for a variety of reasons. If you're looking for a headcover for your driver. As we get ready for springtime with golf, we got one for you Danpatrick dot com. Limited quantity stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America Trading cards to The Dan Patrick Show. Steph Curry last night fifty six points. He had twelve three pointers. He has made an NBA best twenty six career games with ten or more three pointers. That's more than the next five players combined. So that's Klay Thompson, Dame Lillard, James Harden, Zach Levine, and j R. Smith. Stat of the day, stat of the day, that beast stat of the day. Stat of the day here comes that what stat of the day? Steph also single handedly outscored the Magic in the third quarter twenty two to twenty one. This was an oh, by the way game, and I was actually watching this then I realized Steph was on a heater. Zion Williamson went twenty seven, ten and eleven, first career triple double. They beat the Suns, And I'm looking at the numbers here. He's having a good month. Sixteen games since January first, he's averaging twenty five a game, he's averaging seven rebounds in five assists, and he's shooting sixty percent from the floor. Yeah, if you could only give me that on a consistent basis. Can you give me seventy games a year where you're putting up those kind of numbers? The problem is can't stay healthy. But sixteen games since January first, you know there are a lot of storylines. The problem is, you know, the Detroit Pistons aren't going to get clicks, but they played really well and that's a big win. They beat the Boston Celtics. Now you got Denver coming into town tonight. I believe you know, the Lakers are going to take the oxygen out of the room, and I understand that. But there are some good basketball being There is good basketball being played, and it's probably in places where you're not used to looking. And you know, I want Detroit to get credit. They're a playoff team right now. Houston. Houston is a dangerous team as well. You know, we tend to focus we play the hits. I understand that sometimes you have to go a deeper cut on the album if you are aware what albums are. Yes, Marvin, and.
Speaker 6: Don't forget Memphis is the two seed in the West. We talk about all these other teams in the West, and Memphis is the two seed.
Speaker 2: That's a great point. And you know, we tend to focus on Memphis when it's something negative that has to do with John Morant. But they are a really good team. Anthony Edwards got his sixteenth technical through the ball in the stands Minnesota lost to the Lakers. Like even in interviews he drops f bombs. I gret, you know you're twenty three, but somebody needs to make sure you remind the twenty three year old you don't have to act like a twenty three year old and that you know, Lakers got the win. But you know, Anthony Edwards, you get into the playoffs and you already got sixteen technicals. Now we got a problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah, PAULI, you also don't want to build a rep and he might be too late on this where you start getting technicals when you're playing in relevant games a couple of years from now. Remember Rashid Wallace, he would get them and then that's it for the rest of his career. He couldn't even look at a ref.
Speaker 2: Well, Draymond Green, Yeah, like the official is expecting, Like you don't want them to be looking for it, you want them reacting to it. But they're human. Anthony Slater, senior writer covering Golden State Warriors for The Athletic. He was there watching Steph Curry with the Magic last night. Was it a standing ovation from the crowd in the third quarter?
Speaker 8: Anthony, No, it actually got the loudest I thought in the fourth after he hit the three Sha three. I think it helped that Orlando was kind of answering back at the time, because that kind of usually whips the crowd into a frenzy a little bit. But it was like truly playoff level ending cheering when he hit it, like entire arena. It felt like a home playoff game, like on Steph May threes.
Speaker 2: It was a little strange. When did you realize that Steph was maybe going to be on a heater.
Speaker 8: Probably when he hit the fifty footer, you know in the half, Yeah, to give him twenty one, which you know they were like playing really poorly at the time. They're down seventeen. He hits the you know bomb with you know, one point five seconds left. They're inbounding it under their own hoo to trail by fourteen, and it was weird. You saw the magic like defeatedly walking into the locker room up fourteen. I was like, oh, that's it's weird. It had that type of effect. And then he came out in the third and he was aggressive all game, but the fact he hit that one. Usually he comes out and tries to at least see if he's hot early in the third and if he is, he really puts.
Speaker 2: The pedal down and he did. Are you surprised at this point with anything that he does?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 8: I mean sometimes the age, right, he's turning thirty seven next month, that part. But I guess like we shouldn't be surprised by anything in the NBA anymore. You know what Lebron's doing at forty, with what Chris Paul is still.
Speaker 2: Doing in the league.
Speaker 8: You know at forty, Kevin Durant's Steph Curry's age so clearly like a he isn't quite what it was in the NBA. But he's the other thing about Steph being around him every day, I mean the work he puts in, the conditioning, he keeps himself in that he like, I don't leave the arena last night like wow, what a special performers. It was like, Oh, Steph got hot last night, you know, probably get hot again. I saw him score sixty in Atlanta last year. It was to me, it's just bigger that he has the spirit to do it right now because he actually believes they're more of a contender than he did a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Give me the difference between the Warriors a month ago and right now.
Speaker 8: Jimmy Butler really, I mean, I know he didn't have a good game last night, but but he brought an attitude to this team, a confidence level, a second scorer, a guy that gets to the free throw line. They're among the top teams in the league since he's arrived at you know, shooting free throws, and historically, including this year, they're a bottom five team in free throws mid range. Defensively, they're turning teams over like crazy, and they're not turning it over, which is what Jimmy Butler does and what the Warriors historically don't do. They turn it over too much. So he's just like kind of changed the mechanics and the attitude of the team. And they're seven and one since they got him. Prior to that, they were like thirteen and twenty three over their previous thirty six. They hadn't won three games in a rowse in November. Now they're on a five game winning streak. So it's really just him.
Speaker 2: Kevin Durant turned down the opportunity to go to Golden State. Is that a fair assessment of what didn't happen?
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, yeah, I can remember Trade. So Trade deadline week, so it's on Thursday, I'd say the previous Saturday to that, Steph Curry talked to Kevin Durant kind of got the idea that he didn't want to come and for whatever reason, both front offices Phoenix Is and the Warriors kind of just plowed through the negotiations despite Durant's desire not to be there. I didn't from my understanding, the Warriors front office ownership kind of underestimated Durant's coldness towards it, and then by the end, by the end when they needed to get like the final checkpoint, they had the conversation they needed to have, We're like, oh, okay, he really doesn't want to come in. And again, I've said this before, but I think there was a lot of collective twenty nineteen flashbacks. They were an awesome team in twenty nineteen, but Kevin Durant was not happy to be there the entire time. I don't think anybody wanted to relive just the energy of that, so they just cancel it, pivoted to Butler, and you know, whatever you think about the difference between Butler and Durant.
Speaker 2: As a player.
Speaker 8: Butler right now is like extremely happy to be on the Warriors, And I think that's a big difference. I motivated superstar as opposed to a superstar who wouldn't want to be there.
Speaker 2: Hell threatening, are the Warriors threatening?
Speaker 8: I think that's a good word, right. I'm not ready to say contender. Maybe we can call him fringe contenders, And I think that says more about the West under Oklahoma City. I don't think it's that strong.
Speaker 2: But we've seen.
Speaker 8: Jimmy Butler with a lower seed in the East playoffs drag the Heat to two finals. We've seen Steph Curry in twenty twenty two, we had a real legitimate, you know, number two star next to him take a Warrior scene that was really just like kind of some is greater than the parts type team to the championship. So those two despite you know, Steph thirty seven, Butler thirty five, Dramas thirty five, their three best players.
Speaker 2: Are that old.
Speaker 8: Like that's what makes me doubt it still, But like we have seen these, right, I would say, three guys in playoff settings really raise their game.
Speaker 2: So I wouldn't want to face them if I was a three seed I'll leave you with this, what's been more impressive? What Lebron is doing or what Steph is doing?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 8: Man, probably, I would say just probably Lebron literally, just because of the three extra years.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know what STEP's.
Speaker 8: Gonna look like at forty. He doesn't know he'll be passed this current contract, which feels like a long way away. So both, obviously, you know, extremely impressive. I wouldn't want to downgrade the other, but Lebron at forty is pretty unbelievable to me.
Speaker 2: I know you've had a busy schedule, Anthony, Thank you for making time yep, thanks for having Anthony Slater, senior writer covering Golden State for the Athletic. A couple of phone calls in here. Noah in Indiana, Good morning, Noah, thanks for holding what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: No Loving in Indiana.
Speaker 4: Hey, I've got a question for you and the dan As. I'm curious to what you guys think about that Luca trade with the Mavericks.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Noah, Wait, Luca got traded.
Speaker 7: We forgot to get to that last.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, I've been spending too much time on the tush push. I just didn't have time to talk about this Luca trade. But thank you, Noah, thank you for reminding us of that. Let's see Dave in San Antonio. Hi, Dave, how are you good?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 10: We missed you a lot. I want to seeing a stat of the day. But before I get to that, I want to tell you that my son loves this show. I got him hooked on it.
Speaker 2: You guys were out for a week.
Speaker 10: He was like, Yo, where's Dan, Dad? I'm missing him Today. We're in the car, we're listening to you his favorite player, Steph. So you start talking about Steph and his handles, and you're like, he doesn't have the best handles, and my son goes, oh, what is Dan chatting about?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 10: He Uh, Steph has the best handles.
Speaker 1: In the NBA.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, teacher, Son, that that's not true. It's Kyrie, okay.
Speaker 4: And Dan.
Speaker 2: That's all I wanted to tell you.
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, set, he's Steph doesn't have the best handles in the NBA because that is Kyrie. But he's probably top five all time.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe is it a.
Speaker 7: Different type of handle because his handle is about getting his own shot, not necessarily getting past the defender to the hole. So it's a different handle than Kyrie, like Magic's handle.
Speaker 2: No, he's six' nine running the. Break but when we.
Speaker 6: Said, handle get to the top of the key and get.
Speaker 2: You, Okay but now you're defining what handle, is it's in. TRAFFIC i think for the most part that we're talking about somebody's, handle, Right.
Speaker 6: Yeah So kyrie And steph are in the top five all, time and name any other three you, want go, Ahead.
Speaker 2: Iverson's, handle, sure probably, two, Right Tim hardaway's, handle, yep, okay, Yeah, yeah just wanted to make SURE i, knew you, know kind of what we were how we were defining, handle, gotcha. Okay Isaiah thomas is up, There, isaiah great? Hand you know what man?
Speaker 11: Uh jamal is up there, Too Samaul crawford, yep, okay.
Speaker 2: Yep, well all of a sudden it got a little more interesting. There Marvin White, Chocolate Jason Old, definitely. Yep that's great. Handle Graystal, Pete, yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 6: GREAT i mean that dude was born about forty years too.
Speaker 2: Early oh my. God Oh Bob coosey's handle of course in nineteen sixty. One, yes he had the original, handle, right did they call handle back. Then, no they did. Not they did because it was a. Hand you just used the hand one hand and that, Right Marcus, Haynes Curly Neil globehotters just, SAYING i, MEAN i don't know how deep we're going with, This Martin bob In.
Speaker 11: Portland, those by the, way those are all not people that are better Than steph's. Handled those are just people that are in the top ten.
Speaker 2: Conversation, okay top ten. Conversation bob In, Portland, Hi, bob what's on your? Mind?
Speaker 4: Hey good? Morning dan And dannette's five six in the quarter of swimming Down and speaking of, HANDLING i want to thank your phone answer because he asked me a couple of questions to handle me long enough to, Say, Okay i'll Put john, Hold i'll let you talk To dan and the Dan. Nets, yay Happy Black history, Mother Marvin, dan thank you for getting a brother on the on the appreciate you all the Dan. Nets And i'm just curious if if you go around the, room how many of you have visited The Muhammad Ali museum In, Louisville. Kentucky so much basketball going. On if you're In, louisville anybody please go to The Muhammad Ali. Museum it'll be an experience and very. Affordable you will never ever.
Speaker 2: Regret all, Right, well thank, You, Bob. Marvin, congratulations it's the last. Day but, yeah we made No rooney roll on this. Show. NOW i did not need a, room need. NO i enjoyed very.
Speaker 6: Much Oh, Dan Dan, Wait, Woke Dan, wait?
Speaker 2: Woke what are you talking.
Speaker 6: ABOUT i was in the. BACK i was fifty feet.
Speaker 2: Away.
Speaker 6: Uh we needed somebody to run the, board AND i had experience from the mother.
Speaker 2: Ship it's, Like marvin's A dei, hired And i'm, like at least.
Speaker 6: NOT i was.
Speaker 2: Here he was.
Speaker 11: Here if any of the, thing the rest of us are. Dehires been. Great by the, WAY i have.
Speaker 2: SOMETHING i have a project That i'm involved with With Muhammad ali That i'll let you, know and it's could turn out to be something, really really. Great So i'm working on something right now that has to do With Muhammad, ali and once we get closer to completion with, This i'll let you know all about. It let me see. What let's get To zach And. Florida, Hi, zach what's on your mind? Today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 9: DAN a quick question for. You it's seventy. Five It's sonny In Southwest, florida and it's always a guitar.
Speaker 2: Music listening season down.
Speaker 9: Here you Had Stephen Wilson junior ON i think three weeks, ago months. AGO i love his stuff so much So i've been listening to him. CONSTANTLY i need a, following a couple of singers just like him to keep listening to on the golf cours this. Afternoon and finally a follow up shout out To, paulie your biggest DEE i, hire fellow southsider here and Fellow Mariam catholic.
Speaker 2: Alum all, right thank, You. ZACH i don't know IF i have any new artist to tell you. About. Hmm this. One it was my, brother who is an aspiring, songwriter heard the song and said this might be the best song you ever, hear AND i was, like, okay that's. DUBIOUS i listened to the, song sent it to seat and, seat and listened to it five times in a. Row and then all of a, SUDDEN i realized that he was going to be In massachusetts coming through going To New, york AND i, said let's reach out and we got him. In he was on a show Called the print, SHOP i believe is what it. Is so they're the ones that had him on camera performing some of these, songs so shout out to. Them without, THEM i wouldn't have probably Experienced Stephen Wilson. Junior you who went to see him In pittsburgh Last. Saturday Mike Florio, wilson you, Know Mike florio just pro football. Talk, YEAH i went to see. Him that's. Good, yep, yeah and, Uh Steven Wilson junior dedicated this song to, me according To, Florio, yeah THAT'S i am my father's. Son. Awesome, yeah, yeah gave me a shout. Out it wasn't, air But florio said he gave me a shout. Out all, right let me take a. Break we'll come back more phone. Calls it's a Meet, Friday Woody, Harrelson woodrow AND i will ask the question about the time THAT i got high With Woody harrelson And Darius. Rucker right after, this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition Of The Dan Patrick show weekdays at nine Am eastern six Am pacific On Fox Sports radio and The iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Wap we'll talk To Woody. Harrelson his new movie coming. Up by the, way the character if you're old enough to remember the Show. Cheers the character's name Is. Woody they didn't change the name of the character just because It's Woody. Harrelson he auditioned for. It they were going to give that role to somebody, else AND i think at the last minute they let him audition for, it and it just so. Happened the character's name Is woody and Became Woody, Harrelson and that's his real, Name. Woodrow although if you were going to say to me back, then you know that guy will be the most successful actor out of everybody who's in. Here and he's been in he's been nominated. Twice people Versus Larry, FLINT i, think and The, messenger who's our, Guy ben who was In Foster Ben. Foster that he doesn't act. Enough he's in the three ten To yuma With Russell. Crowe is That Christian bale that he.
Speaker 7: Was also in the Movie Alpha dog With timberlake And Emil.
Speaker 2: Hirsch, okay good. Flick, yeah but what he's had a lot of roles and he's one of those guys that shows up in like you'll be, like, hey what'd you do last?
Speaker 6: Night?
Speaker 2: Oh you, Know Willie nelson with, Uh Woody, harrelson and you throw out somebody what he's always involved, like he's always he's. Omnipresent it feels Like i'd love to know what his, rolodex his phone looks like with all the friends that he, has this feels. Like and he lives In hawaii and, uh AND i mentioned this about going to his brownstone In New york years. Ago he lived in The West village or be SOHO i, guess And UH i brought that up to him in this. Conversation we talked To woody a couple of days. Ago and he grew up In, Lebnon. Ohio Not, Lebanon, Ohio, Lebnon. OHIO i grew up In, mason so're about eight miles. Apart and HE'S i think five or six years younger than. Me AND i don't know if he played high school basketball or. NOT i think his bio says he played a little bit in college At Hanover, college which is A DIVISION. Iii But Woody harrelson has a new movie and it's Called Last. Breath got to watch it On, sunday and just the opening, scene LIKE i would watch the opening scene again because it's a deep sea. Diver so what he plays a deep sea diver and they're In Northern, Ireland they're in The North. Sea they go down they're CALLED i think they're called like lubricating divers or saturation, divers something like, that where they go down for these power grids and you have to do all this. Work they're out at sea for thirty, days you have to decompress for four days when you come back in and it you know if this is based on a true story Called Last, breath but it's it's About woody and his crew and one of his men get stuck down there and goes without oxygen for thirty. Minutes AND i start out by asking what he that opening scene was pretty remarkable and what was it that brought him to do this?
Speaker 12: Movie, Well Paul, brooks WHO i, worked he was the producer On, champions this MOVIE i did before you. Know he he mentioned this to me and mentioned the documentary which was On netflix at the, time and so he said to watch. It AND i watched it AND i, said oh my, god this Is i'm. In i'm in one hundred. PERCENT i love. It he, says you want to read the. Script i'm, LIKE i don't need to read the. Script i'm, in you, know BECAUSE i was just so blown away by the, Story, like what an incredible. Story if you if you just heard about it and you didn't see, it you, know AS i did in the, documentary you couldn't believe that it could, happen you. Know SO i was kind of mystified by the. Story AND i, Thought Alex, parkinson you, know who had done the doc did a tremendous job on the.
Speaker 2: Movie but you have thirty minutes of time where he doesn't have any he doesn't have any, oxygen and where he was the depth of, it and you, know maybe the temperature prevented any. Damage doctors still haven't figured out why he didn't suffer irreparable.
Speaker 12: Harm, YEAH i think it's it's one of those, Unexplainables like you might just call it a miracle because And i'm sure that the temperature, factors the how far below the, SURFACE i, mean those are had something to do with, it but it's still, inexplicable you.
Speaker 2: Know and you didn't have to get in the, water which is good for, you, Right, well.
Speaker 12: They do it in. Rotation they have THREE sat divers and, uh and so that just at that, TIME i was in The, bell which is that little tiny tin can that comes down from the.
Speaker 2: Ship you don't get, claustrophobic do, You, WELL.
Speaker 12: I don't get claustrophobic so much AS i if there's no windows open in a, room that can start to bother.
Speaker 2: Me, yeah or like a car a clausophobia when you take away a movie like, this LIKE i don't know what if if you search for, roles like what is new that you're you? Want like are you at that point in your career where you, GO i haven't done? That or like how does that?
Speaker 12: Work, well there was certainly novelty to this project and this, character and you, know it was nice to meet the Actual, duncan AND.
Speaker 1: I, thought AND i got to meet Also.
Speaker 12: DAVE i didn't get to Meet, chris who's the person who all this really happened. To BUT i felt also about him that all of these guys are kind of philosophical and pretty, zen which you, know so they have a real powerful, presence you. Know But dunk's, funny very. Funny He's Woody.
Speaker 2: Harrelson and the movie is Called Last breath and hits theaters coming Up, Friday february twenty. Eighth when's the last time you picked up a.
Speaker 12: Basketball it's been a few. Months, YEAH i played a little while. BACK i played With Adam sander in.
Speaker 2: Were we?
Speaker 12: FORGET i think we were.
Speaker 2: In LA i know we were In.
Speaker 12: Maui, anyway he always gets together wherever he, is he gets a game.
Speaker 2: Going, yeah how was your game compared to? His he's pretty good, actually and he's a.
Speaker 12: Baller BUT i like to think we one time played one on one for it was a, long long game because he was very, defensive and it just went on and on and, on and by the end of, it you, know it was like tied thirteen to thirteen or something because you needed to win by. Two and it was finally LIKE i forget which one of us said, it like do you want to? Stop and the other.
Speaker 1: Was just so grateful we got to stop this.
Speaker 2: Exhausted it was like a. CEASEFIRE i think it's probably what it. Was what it. Was, yeah can can we bring up the story WHEN i visited your house in uh in the village With Darius? Rutcker?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Sure do you remember THAT i came With Darius rucker one night to your? Place of course you don't remember. TOO i don't remember, anything, okay.
Speaker 4: Literally have no recollection of.
Speaker 2: Anything, okay, well now we'll hold.
Speaker 12: It, well this was in the, village so this must have been about fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Ago, YEAH i think it Was King. Street does that sound? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay So darius is recording In New york and he said it's late at, night and he, goes, hey do you want to go To? Woodies, WELL i don't know who what do? YOU i think it's a. Bar so we get in the. Car all of a, sudden we pull up to a. Brownstone we walk up to the, Door you, answer AND i, go, Oh. Woodies so we proceeded to go into your kitchen and you had some, pot And darius fell off the kitchen. Chair after three, HITS i say to, you at one, point can you get us something better than this? Ragweed? Okay so the look on your face was like is he He's you look At, Darius you're, like is he? Serious And i'm actually holding onto the chair SO i don't fall. Off you kept getting tupperware and the pot kept getting like lighter, green like, lime like you were. Going you went. UPSTAIRS i think at one point you're like, okay and so you brought in reinforcements there AND I i it might have been just another day of the week for, you BUT I i got roughed. UP i got BUT i didn't fall off my. CHAIR i went to toe to toe with. You whether you knew THAT i was going toe to toe with, YOU.
Speaker 12: I kept up in the inde and you just you just stayed with.
Speaker 2: It WHEN i said, ragweed the look on your face was like you wanted To you were, competitive you were, insulted and you brought out pot that it looked like ana free color of. Anafreeze And i'm, Like i'm in trouble, here, Man i'm in. Trouble do you get, like does it still hits you the way like it crushed? Me it Knocked darius off the. Chair but is it like you're? Okay? You and what do He Willie nelson or like this is?
Speaker 12: FINE i don't want to Smoke willie's, weed BUT i you, KNOW i like a, sativa like a. CALMER i don't want to smoke one head and have to like you, know, uh you know Rest So, NO i would much rather have something that you can share and it's. Lighter, YEAH i, MEAN i don't, know on that occasion it might have been a stronger. Delio but NOW i try to stay with the sativa outdoor.
Speaker 2: ORGANIC i should do that. Too The Five Time club WITH. Snl how proud of you of that. Accomplishment that might be my best.
Speaker 12: Accomplishment but, no it's really a cool, experience And i'm looking forward to number. Six you, Know lauren just keeps on. Going you probably keep doing it in another fifty.
Speaker 2: Years but what's the first, One, like what's the first what when you hosted.
Speaker 1: The first?
Speaker 12: One was you, know very nervous when you're standing off stage waiting for the light to turn red and going out for your. Monologue it is nerve. WRACKING i mean when you of course you know it's live and you don't get another.
Speaker 2: Take it's it's it's. Exciting and also the other members of The Five Time club coming out to congratulate, You Steve martin And Tom. Hanks, yeah good. Company. Cool, Yeah, well good luck with the. Movie It's, Friday february twenty, eighth based on a true. Story it's Called Last. Breath what are? He good to talk to you? Again thank? You, yeah good talking with.
Speaker 4: You see in the.
Speaker 2: Kitchen, No i'm not going to insult your whe to ever. Again that was a big. Mistake But darius AND i still laugh about, that the fact that you'd literately you knocked the guy off of a chair because of how strong your pot. Was, yeah that's just he's no lightweight. Either no he's. Not no he's. Not thank you, again good? Luck all? Right, yeah take, Care it's. Whatdy. Harrelson the Movie Last breath in theaters. Today he didn't remember. THAT i was in his kitchen smoking pot with him And Darius rucker very polite of him though he, Was, Yes, paul to be fair.
Speaker 7: To, you that seemed like a really Normal tuesday afternoon For Woody, harrelson having a couple famous dudes pop by his place to smoke a couple of bit and move out with their.
Speaker 4: Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah i've never seen pot that color of, green like you know when somebody gets, slimed you, know it's that lime. Green and it felt like every TIME i insulted his, pot he went upstairs to get another thing of, tupperware and then he'd bring it back down like he was. Competitive AND i don't smoke, pot not interested in. It But, darius we went. THERE i didn't know what we were. Doing When darius, goes let's go To. WOODIES i don't know Is woody's a. Bar we show, up knock on the, Door woody is. THERE i, go, oh this Is. Woodies and the next thing you, know we go right into the. Kitchen hendrix is playing really. Loud we go in the kitchen and he has a. Joint darius swear to. God he falls off the chair after about thirty, seconds maybe sixty, seconds and he can't get up off the, floor And i'm yelling at him and he's just. Laughing he cannot get, up AND i kept, going, man this is. Ragweed you got anything better than? This And, darius you know how that laughter. Is WHEN i would say, that he made you? Know and then, yes and he go. Upstairs he went up three. Times I'm i'm holding onto the chair with my right hand BECAUSE i don't want to end up on the floor With. DARIUS i don't even know HOW i got. OUT i don't even. KNOW i don't remember anything from the kitchen to getting outside to going going. Home, Yes marvin.
Speaker 6: Did would he bring down the weed that only has the name of side? Effects or like with sound noise like noises like, oh what is? This it's that?
Speaker 2: Who, No, no there was no like the purple push or any. Like it was just it was green and one batch looked like it, was, uh what do you put in your? Battery and yeh see.
Speaker 11: It sounds like you're describing somebody leveling up hot. Sauces you, know like if you ever watch that show and they're, like all, right here comes you, know the, Crucifier you're, Like, oh this is gonna be really.
Speaker 2: Hot this one came in a. Coffin you're. RIGHT i think we went through five joints and just because Now i'm competitive And i'm going to compete with a guy who this is all he does is smoke