Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, So now we go to get into some details. So all right, So for vending machines, right, first question is how much does the vending machine costs?
Speaker 3: So it could range.
Speaker 4: So I mean the cheapest you're going to find it is always going to be somewhere run one thousand dollars if you're using a used machine versus if you're coming in with something new.
Speaker 3: You're looking at about five grand five grand for.
Speaker 4: A brand new one brand like brand new, team in the top of the line.
Speaker 5: Type of thing, new or used. I didn't even know that there were new use machines. How where do we even get this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 6: Where am I finding a new machine? Where do I go?
Speaker 4: So, I mean new machines you could get from like the man the manufacturers actually making like coke, PEPSI like those type of places you can buy and trade from them.
Speaker 5: Those are where the new machines come from. And we're talking about actual what I mean, there's different types. We're talking about food vending machines.
Speaker 4: So we're talking about soda snacks. They do have food, they have ice cream machines. There's a lot of different different types. So if you're talking about used machines, which is you know, I use use machines, and that's what I recommend everybody else use, mainly because it's easier to maintain and it's a lot more affordable.
Speaker 3: Like the price is nowhere close to you know, five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: You can get a used machine for around nine hundred, which is what my first machine was. And you can find those on places such as like crackslists offer up Amazon, let go, it might be a little more Amazon. And then the only reason I wouldn't I would say not to get it off like a platform where it's like online, because I would recommend you checking the machine out first.
Speaker 3: You don't want to get it and get it in, get.
Speaker 4: It where you don't put it, and then it's not working right, and then you have to ship it back like that's a that's a long process.
Speaker 2: You said, let go, Yeah, what's what's that? So it's an app? It's a app.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let go offer a Facebook market. But it just depends that. And another thing is it matters is how are you how are you trying to scale this? Do you wanted this to be on some side hustle passive income stuff or do you want to grow it into like a full time business, Because if you're just doing it as a side hustle just turned maxtual Baldom assign, you know, using those resources such as like you know Cress is fine, but if you really want to do it like for a time, you want to find like what I what I call vending warehouses. So a vending warehouse is just a vending company that is large enough to sell you vending machines. So that's kind of how we make our money. On the back end, I might have some machines setting around and then our cellos to anybody who's looking to buy it.
Speaker 2: Where do you find vending warehouses?
Speaker 3: So you would have to.
Speaker 4: Google vending machine companies in your area and then contact them and see if they say.
Speaker 2: It's all like regional. It's all regional.
Speaker 5: Yeah, after I order it, I'm thinking to myself, right now I'm ordering machine. Uh, probably need the location first, right, because they're going to send that to your house, right, So do they send it to What happens after.
Speaker 6: I order it?
Speaker 4: So you could you could pick it the machine up first for our I recommend to people always always always get the machine after you have the location, for multiple reasons. Because if you go out and you get excited, Okay, I'm going to vending thing. I see a cheap soda machine. This is a great deal.
Speaker 6: You buy it.
Speaker 4: Maybe you got it in your garage or something like that. You don't know what type of location you're gonna get first. So that means you don't know what that location is going to need. Maybe they already got a sort of machine, maybe.
Speaker 3: They need a slack machine. Maybe it won't fit right.
Speaker 4: And then that's another thing. You don't know what the measurements are for the space they have to put the machine. So it could be the machine you make you could have maybe too big, maybe it's too big to fit through the doorway. Maybe it's too big for the space that they actually want the machine. So it's always best to wait until you get that location you know, on paper, and then you go out and get your machine. But on the flip side, you also want to know your resources first, Like you want to know where you're getting that machine from prior to you know, finding your location.
Speaker 2: So like what what's some typical are they like typical profit margins? Like how much money can should a person expect to make off of like one machine?
Speaker 4: So an average a good a good location, Well you'll see around five hundred dollars for the foot per machine. Right, most locations have two machines, you know what I'm saying, unless it's like a combo if most of the time, if you'll find a combo machine, it's in a smaller in a smaller space because they can't fit two machines, or it's because maybe it's a slower that has slower traffic, lower traffic, and you don't want to put two machines in there, you know that type of situation. So like a thousand dollars, if you have two machines and one location, yeah, that's about that's right.
Speaker 5: When you have to find locations, you obviously looked at your life. You said, look, I played ball here, I'm gonna put one here. That's my high school, that's my barbershop. What does the average person have to do in terms of finding locations?
Speaker 4: So step one now, now to be honest with y'all, Like I had experience in like different marketing before beforehand, so I was already kind of seasoned season with UH networking and more and reaching people and calling all that type of stuff. The wholesaling I did do whole something, So yeah, so I use those same type of tactics to find locations, because it was I learned a lot from actually going out and trying to find properties, you know what I'm saying when I was doing the whole selling thing.
Speaker 3: So the first thing I did was network.
Speaker 4: So I reached out to everybody around me, all my friends, all my family members, let them know what I was doing. And this through doing that, it led me to having like my first few locations, you know what I'm saying. So that's how I ended up getting a school I do this name, which is my prior high school. I talked to them, you know, they let me place a vending machine in there, and it led me to you know, getting a few other spots.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm just thinking about it. A lot of places that yeah they have two vending machines, like a community center, a school. Yeah, you have two vending machines. Thought, I never thought about that before. I mean, or trying to cut you off. You can have two vending machines right next to each other, Like one is sodas and drinks, the other one is candies and chips and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they always like right next.
Speaker 2: To me, right next to each other. So that's not bad if you think about it, Like a thousand dollars, that's it's like you could be getting rental income easy, but it's a lot less overhead as far as buying a home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that was what I was gonna say two things.
Speaker 5: Well, first, when these big corporations, like if I see a Coca Cola machine, right, that's a vendor machine. Can I purchase that from it? Or is the corporation putting that in that location? Because you could have two vendom machines and then they have all coke products? Can you purchase that?
Speaker 3: Can you purchase it from from like Coca Cola?
Speaker 6: Is that like a thing? Can you get a vendom machine from a corporation.
Speaker 4: You're talking about as far as have if the machine is placed somewhere or if there is manufacturing the machines.
Speaker 5: Well, so I'm thinking in terms of I have my vendom machine, you right, I have two of them there, and then there's like a coke machine those coke products.
Speaker 6: Is that something like the average person can purchase or is just straight from the corporation?
Speaker 4: So so all right, so Coke does Coke actually places machines themselves. So but what they'll do is they don't they actually just will place the machine, right, But the thing is the person they would have to like charge a certain amount the products, so the products. Once you buy a certain amount of products from from Coke, they'll play they get you, they get a place of vending machine for free, so and then they'll service it or whatever.
Speaker 7: Like.
Speaker 4: So if you're talking about like if that machine is there, most more than likely your machine won't be there because they'll have some type of contract with Coca Cola and they're not gonna let nobody else in there.
Speaker 2: So as far as location, because I know you said that you had a couple of different keys, foot traffic, isolation, waiting rooms, so all of these different things. But before you even get to that, how do you approach somebody to put a vending machine in their place?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: All right, so you you see a school, like, what's the process to say, Hey, can I put a vendo machine here? I talked to the principle, Yeah, how does that work?
Speaker 3: So that's that's a good question.
Speaker 4: Man. That's a lot of questions everybody asks us. But at all I really do is I'll approach whoever the receptionist is that that first point of contact, and I'll ask them who I need to speak to to place a machine here. So it's usually the person that everybody usually has a person who's in charge of doing business. So the high school as a you know, a business manager, I had to talk to them. So if you're if I'm going into a motel or something, most of the time they have a business managers, you talk to them. So it's just about asking that first point of contact. Get you know, obviously if you can find a manager or something like that, reach you, you could reach and but then ask that person, who's the person who's that I have to talk to?
Speaker 3: That actually makes the decision.
Speaker 5: So once you get in the high school, you get into the recreation center, is there a fee that you have to pay for being there or it is just part of the profit margin you have to give to the places?
Speaker 6: Like how's that work?
Speaker 4: So it's all about from my experience, it's all about how you get that how you get that spot. So if you have you have different resources you're using to get locations. Right, If one thing that you could do is you out, you go out yourself and you actually look for locations, like you know, when we talk about the whole other thing, it's called like driving for dollars, Like you're he of that term, right, So that's a method you go out driving around. I actually found the laundrymat the other day just driving around. I wasn't even looking for it, but I just happened to see it, and actually I'll put it on Instagram. So I put it on a live just to show people like this is like, you know, how easy it is to find something and if you're paying attention to what's around you. So that's one method. And another method is like cold calling, which is you just make a list of multiple places and that that may be suitable for a vending machine in your area that you're looking at place one like using zip codes or whatever, and you know, and you just call them if you're doing that method. Most of the time I found when you found it like a location like that, they ask for a commission because you're asking to come into their space and do business like you're asking for something from them right now. On the flip side, you get a website right the top, the most the top that the most common thing people do is when they're looking for vending services. If you know, you're just opened up your store, your business or whatever it may be, it's Google, so they go right to Google vendom Machine service and Philadelphia my joone is like one of the top ones on there. So you click on that, they they call you, They contact you, and then they're going to ask you to place a vending machine in their place of business. So most not in that scenario. Most of the time they don't ask you for a commission because they just want your service. They want your service for their customers or for their employees off for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: It's just like, yoah, we just want your service. We're not worried about commission.
Speaker 2: So if you approach them, you got to pay them most of the time. If they approach you, you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Pay most of the time most of the time. That's how that goes.
Speaker 4: That also depends on what type of place it is, you know, because if you're dealing with like recreation centers and schools, a lot of times those those facilities are are like the prob the funds already, so they always looking for different ways to supplement, you know, some income.
Speaker 3: So they're going to bring that up.
Speaker 2: So what kind of commission is fair? Like if somebody I'll let you they had but heres, you gotta give me twenty percent temper, Like, what's a fair amount that a fear amount.
Speaker 3: Really depends on the traffic and that location.
Speaker 4: But you typically it's around ten percent, Yeah, ten percent is like it's like a fear amount most of the time if it's a good location.
Speaker 6: So you you sit down, you say that we can have the vending machine here. What we do next? Are we jowing up a contract?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: So at the point where they give me the person of contact and they said they're interested and they I'll schedule a meeting with them, so we're sit down like we're talking. Now, I'll have a proposal, which is something I came up with this from doing the meetings, and it's all the information is in the proposal, which just cuts down the meeting time.
Speaker 3: So you know, in there is this about your business, a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 4: You want to put the products that you use, what makes you different than other companies, your price points for your products. Just present all that to them and then you know, if they like that, then I also have the contract there, so and if they're good with the contract, you know we signed it right there. Do the deal right there. Now, Sometimes it doesn't go that way. Sometimes they might want certain contingencies or whatever in the contract. So if they want that and you you asked, you have you know, obviously you have to go back and draw up a new contract. And get them to sign that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm thinking of like the school, right, so I'm thinking like one of the contendencies they may have is like you can't certain a certain amount of sugar.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, its certain certain products. And then it's like some people will want your actual service hours in there, or they'll want like if basically like if if something goes wrong, you have to repair it by all this amount of time type of thing like, so that stuff is usually people usually tweak, but for the most part, they did go about what's on the paper.
Speaker 2: So okay, So as far as let's go back to location. So like you said, you said foot traffic, accessibility, isolation, and waiting rooms, those are like your four golden rules, right, oh, the.
Speaker 4: One second toe. And then for the commission that I never bring up commission. So never never sit down with a location and say, all right, well this is the out that we're paying commission. If they don't mention it, oh yeah, no, no, no. Some people think that that's like the pitching like point is like we can pay you this much in commission, don't mention.
Speaker 2: That, because it's not that that's a good that's a good point because you might automatically assume that you have to pay because you're you're in their space. But like you said, it's kind of like an attraction where it's like, like my son goes to camp. Every time I pick him out, he's like, can you give me something on the vending machine. So it's like, you know what I'm saying, It's like the vending machine is actually helping in that situation because it's like people something you might just walk into a space just to use the vending machine.
Speaker 5: Right, So that I'm now I'm thinking about from the business standpoint, Having a school during the year is great.
Speaker 3: Having a recreation center during the summer gold month all kids want, well, no recreations.
Speaker 4: Recreation centers doing the school year are good too because they have different programs and they have basketball games and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So all right, so location, location, location is the most important thing in real estate period. And I guess it's no different from vending machine either. Right, you got the best vending You could be giving away gold bars if it's in the desert, didn't matter. So how do you know what's a good look? I mean, obviously, well I ala say, obviously, how do you know what's a good location or not.
Speaker 4: So I mean from what you just basically what you just mentioned, but I picked them up as time went on, just noticing different things. So when I'm walking into a location, I go with a checklist. I don't really use it anymore because I kind of like know now, but it's best to have a checklist and use this.
Speaker 3: And this is what you want to look for.
Speaker 4: So you want to look for when you pull up to the space, is it any stores around that building? So when I say isolation, that that's what I'm talking about. So I'll take a lap of two laps around. See I'm looking for corner stores. I'm looking at this for other places.
Speaker 3: To eat, all right.
Speaker 4: So if if I don't see no other places to eat, I'm like, okay, so that's that's a good sign.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And then when I walk in the door, I'm looking in terms of moving I'm looking for steps and all that type of stuff because you have to move the machine in there. When it terms of what makes it a good location, I'm I'm looking to see where the machine will be placed, all right. So I'm like, all right, well, is it placed somewhere where it's visible and people could see it? Because I had one situation where I had a it was a hotel, wanted me to put a machine in there, but they wanted a machine like in the in the back way in the back where nobody would see it. And on the flip side, it had a gas station right next door. So when I was watching, I'm watching people come in and they just making the left turn right out or right to the gas station.
Speaker 3: I'm like, the gas station is the place now that they're gonna get.
Speaker 4: They see the gas station because it's right because it was a big glass you know door obviously, and it's right there. Versus if that machine was placing in the lobby, they just would have used the machine. Then nobody wants to walk all to me over there if you ain't got too only in the next show, right, So so you know that's that's real iportant. It's important is is it being visible and it being accessible to everyone? So if everybody can use it, if it's visible, that that's a good sign. Another thing I'm looking for is hours of operation. So how long is this place open? Like you said night shift? Some places open twenty four hours, right, That gives you more selves versus it only being open for nine to five, Like, so that's another that's another cafeteria clothes now.
Speaker 3: Right, So.
Speaker 4: And then probably the last thing I'm looking for is foot traffic, right, which is one of this is the most important thing.
Speaker 3: You want to see.
Speaker 4: How many employees they got, how many people are visiting this place, how many people are in and out coming past this machine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one of the things you said, And as you said it, I was like, wow, that's brilliant. Places that have ideal time where people are just waiting. So I would say that hospital, But when you just said laundry, Matt, I'm thinking like, oh my gosh, yeah, like people are sitting in there all day watching machines.
Speaker 2: Though, No, laundry mats are big. Schools are big. Recreation centers are big. Hospital is a.
Speaker 3: Big, huge, and that's the number one.
Speaker 2: Office buildings are big. Dorms dorms, college dorms. College dorms are big. Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And give give an example is Temple. We have a Temple dorm.
Speaker 4: God was doing business with that location that was around thirty five hundred a month.
Speaker 2: How many machine how many machines?
Speaker 6: Who machines?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Cosge kids don't have a lot of money and they don't have the transportation. So if you put the vend machine.
Speaker 2: And that's that's you, that's your machines.
Speaker 3: This these to those two are mind it's the guy. Actually, I know we were talking a little camera.
Speaker 4: So another guy, one of my first my first mentee, I helped him find a spot and that was the spot that we got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty five hundred. That's that's the bread.
Speaker 4: Two machines to two machines, thirty five and then on top of that, since that building is to build the way built, it could be more machines placed in there.
Speaker 3: And you said, there's a difference in what I mean.
Speaker 5: The older machines don't have something that's very important that you said, and that's the card readers, right, because now a lot of people don't have cash, but they do have cars to use.
Speaker 4: So what we do is we'll take the older machines and add upgrades. So we might change the door. We might use what we call like the lead lighting, so you know the little light strips. Put that in the door makes it a little brighter. Yeah, and we can add to car readers, but we would just have to change what's in there. It's called the circuit board. Okay, expensive circuit board cross about two hundred dollars. Car readers are about four hundred, so you're looking at to use that as about additional six hundred dollars. But on the flip side, those usually increase yourselves by at least thirty forty percent, Like, so you know it's worth for actually getting those on there if you know you planning on doing it on a serious note.
Speaker 2: So, okay, so as far as installation, right, how do you know which products to put? So you're just buying a machine, and you can put anything in the machine, correct, anything you want? How do you know which products do you do?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, I like three those? So like how do you how do you know like which is a good product?
Speaker 4: Way, that's as asking the question, because all right, So my first location that I got when I when I said it was only doing only a few a few dollars or whatever I was putting in there when I like, so I had what I like, I'm walking through Sam's cub like okay, this is good, this is good.
Speaker 3: But after a while it was like, no, you you have to put in what they want.
Speaker 4: So what I like to do is in my first if it's an office building or something like that, I'll use a newsletter and outside the newsletter introducing my services, and I'll give them an opportunity to put to tell me what they want in the machine. That's like step one. Other than that, it really comes down to demographics like this, certain certain demographics certain to go avocado closing. The certain groups of people like like like certain things. So from my experience, I know if I'm dealing with a mostly like Carcasian group, they tend to like more of like the plane chips and like for like it for the Plaine tips, where though if it might be more like, you know, the flavorful barbecue type. Yeah, man, it just depends.
Speaker 3: It depends what you're at.
Speaker 4: But it's it's definitely dust to always let the people tell you what they want and the inventory you're actually going to get.
Speaker 3: Right, So, like you will go into these warehouses market.
Speaker 2: I go to.
Speaker 4: I go to Sam's Club, so I go to most mostly shop at Sam's Club, but I do have a warehouse that I go to to get products. Now, the thing with Sam's Club is it's good if you're just doing it like small scale, but if you're buying like variety boxes and chips and whatnot. They're going to put a few, they're going to put the good tips in there. Then they're going to put like a they always do that selection and that right, and that's the way that's not going to sell. So when you're doing that on a larger scale, you have to keep buying those boxes and boxes. It's like, well, that's not that's that's losing making me lose money. So when you get to a certain point, you could just cut that out and then if you go find a source.
Speaker 3: You have to find a source.
Speaker 4: You could just get the straight fire products, but if you have to buy in a larger quantity, So that box of Sam's Club comes in a box of thirty most of the time, whereas though if I buy that in the larger quantity, I got about sixty four boxes, sixty four all one selection, which is going to cost you more money because now you have to put that that that variety box on it's gonna take about four or five roads because it's different chips in there versus it just being one whole box and one product that's only one rower a product.
Speaker 3: How often are you changing the machines weekly, weekly, weekly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if I mean, if you're doing it more than more than once a week, you probably need a bigger machine. If you're if you're not doing it once a week, you probably need a smaller machine.
Speaker 2: And like, so, how do you know what to charge? Because you can charge anything. I just found that out. You can chuch anything on the prices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you set you set all your own prices. And once again, it just comes down to demographics. It comes down to the region, the area you you actually you know working in I.
Speaker 3: Know, earners. What's up?
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast or seats of digital tipping is a breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, It's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more. That's Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day.
Speaker 3: It's like banking with P and C Bank.
Speaker 5: It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 8: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals. Because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: We're over here in New York, My candy bars are going to be about two dollars, Like what if I'm in Philly. Over there, it's going to be about one twenty five. But the main thing I'm looking at is I'm looking at my internal investment.
Speaker 3: Like MYRRI ORR.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm like, if I'm spending X amount, I want to at least double that. So at minimum, I'm double when I'm paying for the products. But I'm actually, well, I always try to reach like the triple. I tried to, you know, get the three hundred percent mark what I'm actually paying back, what I'm actually paying for the product.
Speaker 3: So whatever I'm investing, I'm trying at.
Speaker 2: Least if I buy a candy bar for a dollar, I need to I need to charge three dollars. And the vending machine just using that as like an exact Ye, obviously you're not gonna charge three dollars for candy bar, but I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: They did that at my job.
Speaker 5: Like I went to the vendor machine and the sixty five cent bag of chips is now five dollars?
Speaker 2: Is it really five dollars?
Speaker 6: Say the picture?
Speaker 2: I was like, no, this is a job impossible.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say the picture it was ridiculous. I'm like, wait, impossible, I've seen the picture, no joke. I'm like, this is ridiculabs.
Speaker 2: What kind of chips are the souths It goes no sound chips.
Speaker 6: How big is the bag of chip?
Speaker 3: It's the sisty like the normal sixty five cent bag.
Speaker 2: No, it's impossible.
Speaker 3: It was like the two ounce bag. It's like one point seven.
Speaker 6: So I will send out the picture.
Speaker 2: No, it's impossible.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. But they do, you know, people do do that. I mean, now, I've never seen five dollars I see.
Speaker 2: It's like an airport.
Speaker 4: Located like the airport or like the hotels, you could really charge.
Speaker 2: More foret Vendom machines and the airport. That's that's where you make money. Airport prices is just ridiculous just because it's airport.
Speaker 3: Because now they got the Vendom machines that sell electronics.
Speaker 4: So that's that's another thing I wanted to touch on too, is like you could think outside of the box and get creative.
Speaker 3: You could sell anything out of the machine. You can sell electronics.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Somebody I found online was selling knickknacks out of them in the in the airport and she was making eight thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars a year.
Speaker 2: What what what's a knickknack?
Speaker 4: So like the stuff that you know you might get while you're in that city or whatever. Like there was those little whatever, like the.
Speaker 2: Little trunkeets and like little Welcome to l A I love New York charms.
Speaker 3: And stuff like that.
Speaker 4: And she had like bought up T shirts in there, like you know, making making good money, like just taking outside the box.
Speaker 3: I also see.
Speaker 6: Nobody one but you put two thousand trying to do it every time.
Speaker 4: Right, Like so it's just a lot of different things you could you could put in there if you could really like get creative with it.
Speaker 6: What's the craziest one you've seen?
Speaker 3: Craziest one?
Speaker 2: Do you have one on your page when Dubai and they have gold bars?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I never seen that one though, but yeah I've seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah gold bars. You can buy go bars for pieces of gold.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you want to buy it, but you know that's just everything.
Speaker 6: Let's go to the Vanda machine and get some gold.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but you know it's a lot of it's a lot of crazy ones out there, man. I've seen something where you selling water. I've seen pizza is a piece of that.
Speaker 5: There was there was an article about that they're putting that on college campuses where it makes the pizza in like ninety seconds.
Speaker 6: Or something.
Speaker 4: They had a planing d machine on college campus another college campus.
Speaker 3: And it's actually not for me.
Speaker 2: Well, that's actually, honestly, honestly contraception machine. No, that's not a bad idea. Now, that's the contraception machines are not a bad idea. You have condoms.
Speaker 5: They used to put them in a bathroom. Remember you used to put a quarter and then you don't remember, No, I haven't seen it. Hosts like you put a cord in and get a contraception.
Speaker 2: That wow, yeah, that is that even legal?
Speaker 3: I know, I know they got him out there like the like here weave and eyelashes.
Speaker 2: So you know what, what about medical marijuana? Marijuana period?
Speaker 6: That too?
Speaker 3: They got those out in California, they got the America.
Speaker 4: So I'm not exactly sure how those operate because you know that's that's regulated. So you need I D and whatnot security that machine probably, Yeah, that's a little different, but they do have dudes out there.
Speaker 5: What about vandalism, Like, if somebody destroys your machine, how does that you have insurance on it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 4: I had that happen before once. But yeah, so basically, if somebody destroys it, messes up. You just if you got insurance on it, then you cover.
Speaker 3: If not, you know, you can go through any insurance company. Got close State Farm and literally.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if it's any I know State Farm is one, but it's this regular regular insurance companies covered.
Speaker 6: Is it crazy?
Speaker 3: No, it's not price at all. It's not price at all.
Speaker 2: You would recommend always having that, I would record.
Speaker 4: I would definitely recommend having insurance. But the thing is when you actually go through the process, but picking out a good location, if you're meeting the criteria, it's hard to do vandalism because if the machine is somewhere open and somewhere is you know, it's if it's in that and if a place is always you know, has long hours, most of some of their security, and mostly nine times out of ten that's that been the machine is somewhere near that security, like wherever it's sitting at in the lobby somewhere, so it's always gonna be somewhere where people where people see it. And like it's always if it's foot traffic, it's gonna be. If it's good foot traffic, then people are always going to be around. So it's hard to vandalyze.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know machines or some place with cameras like a school or community center.
Speaker 6: Mins.
Speaker 4: Minds happened more so when I had it in that motel, were talking when it's shut down. It was like when I went back there, it.
Speaker 2: Was over what's the what's the life span of a machine?
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 4: I mean, I have some machines I haven't had any issues with, like since I had and some of them you get it's just like problems I had woman machine in particular, that's it's always giving me a problem.
Speaker 3: I actually switched it out recently.
Speaker 6: What type of problems? Like the mechanical doesn't dispense the merchandise.
Speaker 4: No, So a Bendom machine really is only about it's about three parts. You got your your bill accepted. A lot of people think like, oh what about that's that's one of the questions. I get a lot too. What about the cost of maintenance. I don't really mainten The cost of maintenance isn't high at all. Like it's really like it's rare that something goes wrong with those machines. But you got your bill acceptor your coin mechanism which is where you put the coins in and then you have your your board.
Speaker 3: So your board is like the thing everything.
Speaker 5: Is connected to the press east four No, but yeah, basically, but that that runs to a little board that's inside of the machine, right, And those are the main three parts that the coils and stuff don't really that.
Speaker 4: Those are run by little motors, but those don't really go bad. Those are typically okay with the with the The thing that gets the most used is the bill accepted because people are always putting the bills in there or whatever. I probably switched that out probably ever, like maybe like two years or something. But if you're if you're taking care of the right way, you're gonna have to do that. I'm bad at that part, but you know you could have. You could order a thing off Amazon. It's like a little sticky It looks like a sticky card. You put it in there and then pull it out and it pulls all the dirt and stuff out of the the bullet accept that, which helps it keeps it clean because what's in there is it's a reader. So once that reader gets to like dirty or too like you know, beat up, it doesn't work anymore.
Speaker 2: So how do you all?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: So the money you collect just you know you're going in. But like the credit card that gets goals in that process and that goes like directly to like a PayPal.
Speaker 3: Account, it goes directly to the bank account, the.
Speaker 2: Bank account.
Speaker 3: Right in, but it goes it doesn't go right in, it goes to.
Speaker 4: That that service. It goes to that provider's account. Then they have a payout and then they put similar to what you.
Speaker 3: Would use like what I can shop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like shoot your payout date and then on those dates you get paid out for whatever card read of seals that you had.
Speaker 6: What about the process of buying and selling routes. I know sometimes you said that if there is a.
Speaker 5: Slow time, you might want to sell that machine or sell that route, and talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean in the business, you know, obviously the bulk, the bulk of your money is going to come from you selling products out of your machine. But it's also other ways to make money once you get going, of which one of the best ways is, like you just said, buying and selling routes. So I might like for the perfect the perfect scenario or the best scenario I had with buying, buying a route, and selling it was I brought a route for thirty five hundred. Now, originally the guy was trying to charge me like seven thousand forward or something like that. I was like, no, I'm okay, I'm not even really desperately, I'm not really looking for anything.
Speaker 3: But you know, he couldn't sell it. So he came back to me. He was like, you know, I still got this route. I'll give it to you for thirty five. And I'm like, okay. So I'm looking at it.
Speaker 4: It's six it's six Vendom machines, and it's three locations. So I'm like, man's that's that's like a giveaway.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, I'll take it for thirty five.
Speaker 2: So I brought it.
Speaker 3: I checked out the locations.
Speaker 4: Two of the locations I didn't I didn't like, so I'm like, okay, this location is bad, but it was good machines in there.
Speaker 3: The other location was bad. One location was good.
Speaker 4: So what I did was I kept a good location and I sold the other two locations for thirty five apiece. So I ended up making a profit of seven thousand off of that situation. So that's just another way to make money on the back. And so if you're into.
Speaker 3: Buying routes, you could just buy a route out. Maybe you could you.
Speaker 4: Could keep the machines, you know, sell the machines, or you could just try to sell the machine on location, which is easier to sell them if they already placed like that that takes work off of the next man.
Speaker 2: Is any way to get a machine for free, like financing or pay it back on the back end through money that you make and future or no.
Speaker 3: It's a great question.
Speaker 4: So you can rent machines from the same type of people that I talked about before, as far as like with the if you're going through a vending warehouse, they do allow you to VNT machines. Sometimes if you look online you can find some people that rent machines as well.
Speaker 3: I don't really.
Speaker 4: Suggest doing it because it gives you like an overhead, you know, well, you know, if that's your way in, and that's your way you you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But you can also.
Speaker 4: Once once you get to a certain point in the business, like like I mentioned before with Coca Cola and Pepsi with one of the one of the programs that they have is once you buy a certain amount of their product, they give you machines, so but.
Speaker 3: It has to be on contract.
Speaker 2: So can you say, like buy their products, like you're putting their sodas in your machines. So they got like ten thousand dollars worth of coke.
Speaker 4: It's not ten thousand dollars, but it's like it's definitely a good amount, and you have to buy. You have to you're committed to buying that amount at least at minimum every month. But they'll give you the vending machine for free because obviously it's helping them, it's helping you move that product, you know. But that's the way to get through vendom machines too, But that's not you probably won't do that until, like you know later.
Speaker 6: That about the the contracts, what are the typical links of the contract? Is it like six months? Is the year?
Speaker 3: About two years? I do two years two year contract? Yeah, two two year increments.
Speaker 2: So all right, Well that was a lot of information for sure. So in the next second, we're gonna bring you home, all right, so we're gonna close it out. But before I got I got a few questions. So all right, especially in schools with kids and stuff like that, what's your thoughts on because it's childhood. PCD is a big thing. So what's your thoughts on like junk food, because you can have healthy stuff in there as well. Obviously it's not as popular. Do you ever think about that or Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's something that actually comes up a lot of times in the meetings when I'm talking to like the potential locations, so they you know, they always want the healthy selections, which I'm big on healthy selections anyway.
Speaker 3: Definitely want to get people with choice.
Speaker 2: So I like to put.
Speaker 4: Half traditional and then I'll put half healthy. I try the whole health thing. One didn't go that well, so I definitely do. I do like like some of my most of the time of Vendom machine will have multiple rolls of like two roaster chips, two roaster snacks, and then you have your candy roll whatever.
Speaker 3: So on my top one, I'll make half.
Speaker 4: Of that like big or something like you know, like a power bar something like that, not not not for the chips, but like this like something big, and then once we get to like the snack and the candy roll, I'll just make sure it's like some healthy stuff like trail mix or be like a power bar. So just something something that's you know, it'd be good for something somebody grab quick that's still healthy for you.
Speaker 5: And depending on where you're at right like that, you have to take that into account as far as inventory, because like you said, Philly got the sugar tax, right, so when buying stuff, you got to take that into accounts.
Speaker 4: And we also have also have an old people's home, so you know in there, I can't put a lot of sugar stuff. So it really just depends on where you're putting that machine at, but it definitely, it'll definitely always comes up in the conversation when you're placing the machine. Is having healthy selections. Everybody, everybody wants healthy selections, and I think that's more so a big wave now, yeah, in the direction that we're doing as a as a you know country as a country is getting more healthy stuff out there.
Speaker 2: So you know, yeah, you are the.
Speaker 6: Food source for a lot of us, Like we don't have a lot of us don't have time to go out for lunch.
Speaker 4: It's like, let me just got something quick, right, and you want to make sure they get out the choice to get something healthy versus having to get something you know it's not.
Speaker 2: Good for you. So like ramen, noodles and stuff like that. I've seen that in there. I had those in there, So like what's the what's what's your sweet spot? Like you said, you don't like perishable goods for obvious reasons because they expire. Just can't they expire?
Speaker 6: Yes, it has an expision.
Speaker 4: It's a long one though, yeah, a long like a long time all right, It takes a while, but it really it depends on the conditions, like your temperature and all that. So if you in the summertime, snickers bar in the sun ain't gonna last long because it once it wants to sets most of the time. When it resets into being like the regular form, it's like like not really molded, but it's just like this colored and it doesn't look at peeling for people to eat.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna eat.
Speaker 2: It, So you try to have your but it's always inside though, right, try like air conditioned.
Speaker 4: Most of the times it's But I'm also talking about like storage, so that's where you're storing your too.
Speaker 2: I never thought about that. You gotta store. Do you store it or do you just do you just buy it as you go?
Speaker 3: I stored, but when I first started out just buying as.
Speaker 6: I go, So your your liver was full of boxes, you know, so I got a Halloween I.
Speaker 4: Gotta spot in my career, WI like something similarly like this area here, but like a little smaller. That whole area was filled with snatch. But you know, if you buy it that you go, it's a little easier. But once you get it down to a science. So the thing about buying that you go with you gotta take trips to the store every week. Like so you really want to figure out how much you need, so you could just buy your month's worth and then have it just sitting over there in the corner.
Speaker 3: So all you gotta do is grab the stuff and go fill up the machine versus multip making multiple with trips.
Speaker 5: So a full time day is like all right, I'm gonna schedule. I'm gonna go to this location to refill, this location to refilled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's like all right, so I'll do my day before our prep full up, all full up all my my bens. I have bens that I carry the products and full up all my bens. Pick the spots. I'm going to just knock the spots down one bout one, but I do, I'll pack everything the night before.
Speaker 6: That's a one man show yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, So I saw you saying like as far as the the numbers on it, so it's like I think it's like under six locations. Is it's well under six machines. Let me see if I have it's run down something like passive passive and dan, Yeah, can you explain that? Like the numbers?
Speaker 4: So it really now, honestly, it depends on your location obviously, but we're talking about this standard average. Like if you have around six machines, that's kind of still passive, like that's not gonna take up too much of.
Speaker 3: Your time and you know, you can still get whatever done. Once you get to like.
Speaker 4: Around like ten machines, you more so like on like a part time type of thing, like if you was working part time, because it's going to take up a little more time as far as you keeping up with your products and you go into your spots, depending on how far your spots are. Once you get past like fifteen, that's more like a you know, once you get like fifteen twenty, it's like a real business, full time, full time situation, and now you're now you're doing that full time, like you're making you should be if you're doing the right you should be making good money.
Speaker 3: But that's going to take up a lot of your time.
Speaker 2: So if you have twenty, if you have twenty machines, theoretically you should be making like fifteen thousand around that at least at least twenty on the good.
Speaker 3: End, at least fifteen at minimum.
Speaker 4: At minimum, you should at least be doing like ten even if you don't have good locations, like you should least.
Speaker 2: R ten of months right right now. The thing about the Vendom machine thing is an interesting situation because it's one of these things where I always say, it's never about home runs. It's not about home runs in life. It's about base hits. Like if you play baseball, you gotta get base hits cansistently. And the Vendom machine thing is like a base hit. Like even if you got you know, a couple going and you're getting two thousand, like that's that's two thousand, Like you know what I'm saying, three thousand whatever. It's like, now that takes pressure off of you. That's a nice passive stream of income. You build that up, you know, however large you wanted to grow. But it's one of these things that's extremely practical. Everybody has seen vendom machines or used it or used it. It's not rocket science, and it's not really that difficult as far as to understand that. The general idea of.
Speaker 5: It mak people thinking in mind like, oh, somebody spent a dollar. Somebody spent a dollar twenty five. It's not a lot of money, but enough dollars make sense.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, it's not even about that. A lot of times we just mentally priced off. We just mentally psych ourselves out of everything. So it's like you see a vando machine every single day. How many people have ever thought about owning a vending machine? I've never thought about it. You see it? Why not somebody owns it?
Speaker 6: You're getting killed every single somebody owns.
Speaker 2: It, Like you know what I'm saying, Like why not? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I think a lot of people shot away from it too, Like even when they think about that idea is like say're scared of like the maintenance that we think, Okay, well I don't know how to fix it. But you know, at the end of the day, you it's not it's not too complicated but for any business, you're gonna have hurders where you have to figure stuff out. It's no different than that. Like, so once you once you get it going and you run into an issue, of course you have to. I mean YouTube is your friend. To find a solution on YouTube, if not find a resource to call in and just watch what they do, and you know, and most of the time, you know, that's that's how I how to fix me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, I'm going to ask you that, like do you fix yourself with you hire like mechanics that specialize in the machine.
Speaker 4: So for the most part, I fix on myself. The only thing I really I can't fix is the refrigeration units. It's called the compressors. So the compressors are a little more complicated. I don't know how to fix those yet. But like the build a sceptors and the coin mechanisms like that, that type of stuff, I can fix those because it's like it's just a common thing. And that's most of the time, nine times at the tempt that's what you're gonna be dealing with. If something goes wrong. Most of the time, it's just like a dollar got stuck, or maybe you're your bill, except the one bad.
Speaker 3: It's just screw it out, put a new one and screw it back in, like that type of thing.
Speaker 2: What's the best what's the best item invented machine history?
Speaker 4: Peanut Eminem's for snacks, for drinks, Pepsi and pepsi cells like like nothing else whatever whatever you sell them with everything else. Pepsi is gonna sell dumble pepsi self more than coke, pepsi.
Speaker 3: Something was or anything. Pepsi everywhere, like everybody I know.
Speaker 2: Would do it more than water.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your largest profit item is water, though you make the most water for water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but pepsi sells like nothing else. Peanut eminem so real, well.
Speaker 2: Too, what's what's your favorite?
Speaker 3: My favorite? Uh, Skittles, starburs and m and ms.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if I even had peanut eminem.
Speaker 4: I don't like them personally. That's and that's what kind of messed me up the first time. I was like, oh, these ain't good.
Speaker 3: But you know, when I was.
Speaker 5: Stocking the combination of the pepsi and the peanut emon but but but crunch butter crunch cookie sign you got the machine though it should be those are smack.
Speaker 2: Paydayd candy bars that's that's a niche thing. And oil and vinegar chips that's another niche chip.
Speaker 6: No, that's.
Speaker 3: That's the tip that.
Speaker 2: Gets niche oil because elite, that's the elite.
Speaker 6: That's red bag of doritos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gone. Those are moving the black popcorn chip back. That's another item.
Speaker 4: The cooler ranch playing cooler ranch playing not really lays. People like well and where I'm at, people like the hers like playing herds.
Speaker 3: They love those playing ships, Doritos, pretzels also pressures are depending where they at.
Speaker 4: But the doritos, the peanut min ms, pepsi, that's selling no matter, no matter I call those like staple items, Like those items will be in the machine no matter which of them I see.
Speaker 5: Sometimes the don't put like the them in one row and then like put them at the next row too.
Speaker 4: Just because because they sell, like because if you don't do that, you're gonna run out, like so that that's gonna run out before. It's like a pepsi And most of the time you had two rolls of pepsi and the because just because it's going to sell faster than anything.
Speaker 3: You know, you have to come back once it sells out right, you might even have to come back.
Speaker 4: It's just going to sell out and then you'll be you could be losing out the money if that person only came to that machine.
Speaker 3: If you get some peanut eminem's, they like, I don't want nothing in the type of thing.
Speaker 6: Are you moving into other things to put in a venting machine?
Speaker 1: Like it?
Speaker 6: Is there other items that you see in the future, like you know what, I might want to go that route.
Speaker 4: No, I like, I like keeping it traditional. But I do see you know, I'll see a lot of things. You know, I'll see people coming up with that's real creative. I see some celebrities coming out with different ideas. I know Calie Jenner just launched like a Vendom machine with one of them had the other one had like a her makeup line, which.
Speaker 3: I know is big.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad idea either, make up little stuff like that like chapstick and things like that where it's like you want to run. It's not a bad idea. But yeah, you're never gonna lose with beverages, especially beverages. People always drink stuff candy. It's kind of like it's like a no brainer in the words of Mike I'm gonna did it to Candy. Yeah, they always gonna be in business women.
Speaker 7: My graduates from my school being forced bad drop bag drop Mike, drop bad drop drops.
Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com, slash po d kat z thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need