Speaker 1: Broadcasting from the Hip Hop Weekly Studios. I'd like to welcome you to another episode of Civic Cipher. I'man host Ramsey's job.
Speaker 2: He is Ramsey's job, so most of the times I'm just Q War today I am Scoop Newsworth.
Speaker 1: According to Ramsey's job, he knows exactly what you'll see what he's talking about. Just a second, we got a lot of people stick around for a great show lined up for you. We recently had an experience, both Q and I with a friend of ours where we had to articulate the differences between the two political parties in this country where a dear friend of ours, again, a dear friend, was trying to say that they're the same and there's no reason to engage. And I feel like that is a common thought, common feeling amongst people in is particular age group, and indeed in our age group as well, and so we wanted to point out some things that really illustrate some key differences, especially in the past let's call it eight to ten years, that you should know about if you don't follow politics as closely as we need to hear on this show. So that's one of the things we want you to stick around for. We're going to be, of course, talking about some recent events over the past week, the former president being found liable or sexual assault, I believe, and we're also going to be talking about the most recent major mass shooting event. Unfortunately, these are things that kind of fall under our wheelhouse here as well, because there is definitely a racial component that we need to pay attention to. And we're going to be talking about a white man for our way Black History fact, and you don't want to miss that. So a lot to stick around for. But first and foremost, like we always do this time, kinda the illustrious kind of how we always do it this time the one and only Q word.
Speaker 2: Who's going to hit you in the head with some ebony excellence every excellence this week sponsored by Major Threads. You guys don't know how much I love Ramdas And because you can't see me right now, you really don't know how much love I'm expressing for my brother, teammate and partner in crime right now. On May third, veteran journalist Nicole Avery Nichols was named editor in chief of the Detroit Free Press What Updo Detroit? For the past twenty five years, Nicholas has reported on news in Detroit, covering topics such as culture, culinary arts, and more recently, COVID nineteen. The past two years, Nichols served as editor in chief at Chalkbat, a nonprofit publication centered on education.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: I firmly believe in centering people and their experience within the heart of journalism, and I am thrilled to be leading one of America's most powerful news homes as we tell the stories that matter the most, Nichols said in a press release.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: Nichols deep knowledge of local issues most important to Detroit residents, combined with a fearless and unflinching commitment to journalism that is essential in the communities we serve, makes her the perfect fit for the Free Press end quote. Kristin Roberts, a chief content officer at Gannett and the USA Today Network, said, quote, I am confident that under nichols leadership, the Free Press will deliver exclusive and solution focused journalism to our readers, viewers, and listeners wants. Nicholas began her career rather as a news reporter at the Utica Observer Dispatch, also holding positions at the Detroit News My mom used to work in Utica, so shout out to Ford Motor Company in Utica. Nichols, who attended Tuskegee and Syracuse Universities will replace, and Jeanette Delgado, who is currently serving as an intern executive editor for The Free Press, shouts out to w NUC ninety six point seven FM in Detroit.
Speaker 1: What up though? Once again? Yeah, thank y'all for carrying civiccer and I want to shout out Black Enterprise for that story right there. Now you understand why we had to make sure that you got that off, because I don't know what up dosed that he's able. Don't understand anything from Detroit. Shout out to the Motor one time exactly. Now, let's talk about the conversation that we had recently with a friend of ours, who is is the word apolitical when a person doesn't really is that? Am I saying that right?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure right, because I think the A as a prefix in that instance would be more prescribed to someone who does not follow or care about politics at all.
Speaker 1: And it's not really that. Okay, But I said the right word, but that doesn't really fit for this. Yeah, okay, So let's explain a little bit of background.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's it is right though, because having strong opinions while not participating might render you.
Speaker 1: A political right. Okay, maybe there's that. Well, so paying a little bit of a picture of.
Speaker 2: Our dear friend, I think he's kind of the genesis of this, kind of the crux of what led to this, but he's not singular at all.
Speaker 1: But it gave me a lens into this type of thinking. Yeah, but it's for you.
Speaker 2: I think you finally saw something that I've been dealing with for years, not just with him, but with the people that we know, which is kind of discouraging.
Speaker 1: And it's this idea and it's really not their fault.
Speaker 2: You and I had a conversation with Charlemagne and to God and we were highlighting all of the reasons why so many people who would normally vote on the same side of the aisle as us and have the same interest and want the same political and social outcomes, have decided to just kind of tap out and not participate. And it's because political parties in this country, this is where they do have some similarities, are very much out for themselves individual and not their constituencies or the places that they come from or the people that vote for them. So because politicians have found a way to turn politics into a way to just make a lot of money for themselves, no matter which way they lean, they can be persuaded, they can be lobbied, they can be encouraged to do things that are not in anyone's best interest in particular, and really not feel a way about it either way. In which direction will the most money come from? Okay, let's push forward policy that supports those groups. And when you have people who while running for office, making promises and give you the impression that they're fighting for you only for you to vote for them, and then see that that's not their agenda at all, over and over again, it really does make you want to just throw up your hand and say, Okay, forget it, man, this is not benefiting me or my children, or my family or my community in any way, any tangible way.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Sure, so let's say it this way. Then what our friend was trying to say is not, in and of itself baseless. There for folks that feel very disconnected from outcomes after having cast their vote, we don't want to pretend like that the feeling that these people might be experiencing is imagine, right. So for folks like him who feel maybe exhausted or maybe feel like it's a six to one half a dozen of the other, we understand that. But what we're going to do today is kind of illustrate the difference between bad and worse. I guess you know what I mean for those people and that that subscribe to that reality. It does, you know, and I understand it. We've actually been very critical of you know, I think that on this show we tend to well, first off, the truth has a liberal bias to it, no matter what, and this is in fact the liberal country. You know, if you surveyed one hundred percent of the population, you'd find that most folks have a more liberal philosophy to them. And so here we like to subscribe to the truth. We own our mistakes, et cetera. But we want to we don't want to shy away from the fact that there is a necessity to being critical of whatever political party you subscribe to, in addition to the opposing political party, and that to be critical of any institution is to in effect push it to be better, right, holding people accountable, and that's in fact what we're talking about today. So first things first, this mass shooting this past week, which I know, which mass shooting this past week? I know? Yeah, so it was the one in Texas at the outdoor mall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sadly, I'm not being facetious, No, I know there was. We had to talk about this on my other show. There was a total of eight. But depending on who lives and dies, because there's some people still in critical condition, and if one more person dies in an additional two shooting events, that will be the ultimate deciding factor.
Speaker 1: And insofar as whether or not those additional two events will be quite fight as mass shooting events or not. So they're we're saying, because those people still got shot, whether they die or not. Right, But that there's every everyone has to measure. You're you're not wrong, but everyone has to agree on a set of statistics that qualify a mass shooting event from just a shooting. Right, And funnily enough, we'll get there.
Speaker 2: But this is our country to provide semantics in ways that they're just not needed.
Speaker 1: We wait until people get shot, but nobody dies and it was just a shooting, So waiting wait until we get to the end here, But watch this, Okay, so let's start off here. I'm gonna read from Yahoo. The gunman who killed eight people before he was fatally shot by a police officer at a Dallas area mall last Saturday was wearing a tactical vest with the patch that reads r w DS, an acronym which stands for right wing Death Squad, a phrase that has been embraced in recent years by far right extremists. Or Sigal, vice president of the Anti Defamation League's Center on Extremism, told the news service that RWDS re emerged in the twenty tens among some right wing groups. We used it on stickers, patches, in online forums, quote and essentially became a phrase that was co opted to demonstrate the opposition to the left more broadly by whitestream extremists. Seagull said. Right Wing Desk Cloud was the name of these smaller groups that participated in the White Nationalists Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in August twenty seventeen, where they ran over. One of the guys ran over that I forget her name, but she was a white woman ally student actually went to that school and she lost her life that day. Right, So before we read further, I want to talk about this right wing death squad. Okay, So the policies, the culture, the ideals of the right in this country, including the media, and just the very nature of the political party itself can and has indeed yielded this as a result. Right now, what folks on the right might say to counter this point is, well, look at antifa. Antifa is violent. Antifa is you know, blah blah blah whatever, which is largely unfounded. However, in the incidents that can really substantiate any claim that they have, the violence is not directed at human beings, it's not directed at any particular racial group. Antifa, for folks that are not familiar, is anti fascist Antifa. So basically people who hate Nazis, Nazism or any version of that re emerging in this country or indeed globally. So it's the group of vigilanti fighters that push back against basically the foundations of the Nazi Party in Germany and what that would re emerge as in this country. Right So, you might see people being destructive, starting fires, throwing bricks, this sort of stuff, but you won't see any mass shooters. There's a different like hate is one thing. Fighting back is what I if I was to be as unbiased as possible. Fighting back is what I feel like Antifa does or exists to do. It's not an organization, so far be it for me to paint with broad strokes. It's just people who subscribe to a philosophy. But for the Antifa folks, the intention is to bring attention to or disrupt the movements that are based in fascism or indeed seed fascism, whereas the far right extremists actually do commit real harm.
Speaker 2: I mean, a great example to use is the brother who recently got let go by Fox News hyper popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our right wing extreme.
Speaker 2: Idiots, excuse me, I got my allergies kicked in almost Yeah.
Speaker 1: The guy that said they are trying to replace you him to his listeners.
Speaker 2: Some text messages or something leaked recently where an antif a supporter got jumped and he was not impressed by the amount of harm that was done to I thought it should have been far more in the moment he had, I think what he even described as a kind of ravenous desire for these white men to really show how white men can harm people, and didn't feel like they were doing enough, a good enough job, just to paint you a picture of the differences between the two ideologies. You know, this far right wing, right wing extremist while seeing this young person get beat up, jumped, stomped on, and his own heart, his own mind and his private thoughts wanted more, wanted blood, wanted carnage, wanted as much destruction, and let's get this guy as close to dead as we can. And then tries to walk it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad you said that, because we don't want to seem like we tell half truths over here.
Speaker 2: Unlike him, they tried to walk it back, and I think that was just, you know, a way to give himself some plausible deniability when when brought to the attention of the masters to the public that this is how this guy really thinks and feels, because you said it, there are no there are no examples to the other extreme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no Antifa folks who kill people indiscriminately at the mall right, there is an enormous amount.
Speaker 2: And please know that if there was, we know, like lett, they would they would make sure that he knew that that'd be front page on as many news outlets that they control as possible. So let me let me add so the fact that they haven't even made it up. Let you know that as an idea, it doesn't exist. Sure, they haven't even in there, and they have shown us that being dishonest is not beneath them.
Speaker 1: Oh what, wait until we gets to the second part of the show. So what I wanted. I don't want to necessarily focus on the right wing death squad.
Speaker 4: There is no left wing death squad, just clear, exactly, And the closest thing would be Antifa in the minds of those people who've made them into the villains.
Speaker 1: Sure, but Antifa is nowhere near a death squad. The only stories that I've encountered, the only people who subscribe to that philosophy that I've ever even been made aware of. They only attempt to like disrupt, just in the idea that they don't call themselves a death squad. Sure, just anti fascist, and you shorten it it's antifa, that's it, right, But if you don't know it stands for anti fascists, and you are a right wing person who want to get your news from one source, then it very easily could become a bad word Antifa. The same way they've made socialist bad work, sure, and thank you for that. So what I wanted to make sure that we highlight is that it's the again culture, It's the ideals, it's the policies, and it's the let's call it the framework of personalities and personnel in the right that has yielded a safe space for a place like right wing death Squad. It's yielded fertile soil for that seed to be planted, watered continuously by Fox News and bro and sprout into a person who would walk into a mall and kill people. Now let me continue to read here. According to Heidi Branch, co founder of the Global Project Against Hate and Extremism, the Proud Boys and neo fascist group of self described Western chauviness self described our Google chauvin is free. So this group is largely responsible for popularizing the use of our wds again, that's right wing Desk Squad among their far right. Following the twenty twenty election, members of the Proud Boys joined supporters of then President Donald Trump at rallies protesting the results. Proud Boys national chairman Enrique Carrillo and other leaders of the group were photographed wearing r WDS patches at those demonstrations. I am now super curious about Enrique. So I know about this guy. Okay, now you read his name, makes you think Hispanic person, right, a person of Latin descent. Indeed, he is not unlike this most recent shooter in the Dallas area in Texas. Right, here's a difference. Well, you know what. We're going to talk a little bit more about that, but suffice it to say that the person who carried out the shooting in Dallas, they've done their best to position this individual as a Mexican gang member rather than a we'll talk about a little bit more, but they've done their best on the right to position him as a Mexican gang member rather than a neo Nazi, completely ignoring his huge swastika tattoo and the RWDS patch on his clothes and all this sort of stuff. And what they're trying to do is so doubt in the minds of the people who subscribe to their news or The troubling thing is they don't need to sew doubt with those they're looking for the doubts, and once they got something, they're simply saying it is enough. A shred of doubt is enough for them to do it. They already feel that way, And okay, that's what I thought. Yeah, And it's and they ignore the pattern of behavior and the the amount of evidence that is building, you know. But uh, well we're going to talk about that a little bit more. Okay. So another thing that people might say on the right is, well, listen, you're always blaming white men for these mass shootings who go into grocery stores and execute black people intentionally, or people who go into churches and kill this group or that group or black people intentionally or whatever. But what about the transgender shooters?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So, for the uninitiated, and it might have been Nashville, a couple of weeks back school shooting, person who was trans had gone to the school and she shot the school up. And I don't like talking about this. It's just so sad and I have to like keep my composure, forgive me. Everyone. So this person identified openly as trans, right, But what they did was they tried to establish a couple of other examples of folks who identified as trans. So I think there was three in total, including the most recent shooter in Nashville school shooter, and one of those examples was a person who tried to identify as trans in the last moments so that he would not be charged with a hate crime. Right, very obvious that that was what was happening, because there was no evidence or anything like that prior to this. And indeed, this person who was in Colorado, this person's father was on the news saying some wild stuff. Anyway, you feel free to look it up. I know I'm not giving you all the details. We have to walk a fine line here between glorifying these people's names and all this stuff and really just kind of painting a broad picture with broad strokes. It's not that kind of show here, but we recognize patterns. The thing is of those three one and a half might have had some credibility to it, and that's enough for the folks on the right to excuse mountain of evidence that clearly suggests that there is a problem with the far right, with far right ideologies, and these people are being radicalized. They in fact, are the terrorists that they tried to make out folks from the Middle East to be around the turn of the century, the early two thousands. For those that weren't around back then, there was a time in this country, and it hasn't really fully subsided where people. I don't know that it ever will, but this time has not. This time in the country, people were very prejudiced and discriminated openly against folks who had roots in the Middle East. Folks will also point to a couple of examples of black mass shooters, most recently the one in Atlanta, but that was based on and first off, trans people. A lot of times they're bullied, which you know, that's a thing that happens, something we have to deal with. It's not as prevalent as indeed the white mass shooters are. This black gentleman in the Atlanta hospital, he was mad at a doctor for not giving him certain pills that he needed to addict it to the hospital's pills, shoots the hospital up. We will see that in its entirety, but we can't ignore the prevalence of white male mass shooters. And folks always point to gun violence as well. That's a different type of terrorism and indiscriminate shooting at crowds. We have to make sure that we say that as well, so again the two parties are not the same. Will continue in just a minute