Speaker 1: In times of conflict. It's the people who choose to act instead of hide and fight for what's right. It's the people who provide us with the greatest stories. So if you're looking for stories about bravery, resilience and action, I'd like to introduce you to Epic, a fiction podcast from Realm. Let Epic be your new HQ for all things action and adventure. Each new season tells a different story of high stakes and near missics. Epic's newest season, Control Alt Destroy Stars fireflyes Summer Glau as a video game designer. She discovers that the game she created has been stolen as part of a top secret project and maybe the only thing keeping the world from plunging into wall. Nations are competing for real world resources within her video game, and Team USA hopes that bringing in the designer in secret will give them the upper hand they need. This story is perfect for fans of wargames and Ready Player one and will draw you in even if you've never played RPGs. You can listen to Control Alt Destroy and all all the other stories of action adventure on Epic, available wherever you get your podcasts, or at Realm dot FM. Warning this podcast could take spoilers for the video game The Last of Us parts one and two, but mostly one, a minor spoiler for The Food by Cormack McCarthy, which came out in two thousand and six. Get your get to your local library and read that, plus a potential spoiler for Ant Man and the Wasp Quantumnia that was revealed in the latest trailer Be careful. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosy Night, and welcome to x ray Vision, the Crooked media podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode we got previously on The Ant Man in the Wasp, Pontomania, Tree.
Speaker 1: Law, and in the Airlock We're gonna be. We're visiting the Last of Us video game, the masterpiece video game from Naughty Dog, recently remastered on the Sony PlayStation platform, So get that if you're interested in getting involved in the Last of Us stuff.
Speaker 2: And as always, if you want to jump around, check the show notes for timestamp so you don't get spoiled. Or you want to hair off theories again and again, you can just jump back.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into it. First up, a little bit of news. This trailer dropped Monday evening after we had recorded our first episode of the week. It is the ant Man Quantumedia trailer. The movie comes out February seventeenth, directed by Peyton Reed, written by Jeff Loveness, Paul Rudd Is, Scott Lang, Evangeline Lily is the Wasp, Jonathan Majors, of course spotlighted as King the Conqueror New Edition, Catherine Newton as the new Cassie Lang, and William Jackson Harper potentially Quasar. We're getting this from imdby Listen, here's I'm a mark. I don't know what to tell you. I thought this trailer looked great, and I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: It looks so good. I mean, look, one, you got Kang and they fully committed. They didn't give him some weird military backstory. We didn't have to see something strange. He's wearing purple, he's wearing green, he's wearing boots, he's wearing a cape. Is he wearing a mini skirt? I hope to see it. So currently he's in shadow, but it looks like a classic costume. And then not only that, but it's this super weird Cosmic Tale and yeah, that pr The email they sent out was really interesting because it confirmed that William Jackson Harp is playing this character called Quas, which a lot of people are saying it's Quasar. Also, we got David Dashmalion who is gonna come back, but not as Kurt. He's playing character called Verb. I think we see Verb and Quas. And then this other character that they announced called Gentra. I think we see them in the first trailer. They're three people that kind of stand there. Veb I think has this glowing head that's my guest. So you're getting really weird stuff. You're getting great returning cast members. And that's before we even get to Modoc, who you know, the mental organism designed only for killing. He's here and it looked like I thought for a minute, I was like, is that Paul shit, But it wasn't. It was Corey Stall. It was Corey Stall's giant head.
Speaker 1: I love that wrinkle. Little surprised they left the maskless frame in the Yeah, trailer is a reveal, but I love the fact that Corey Stall, sucked into the quantum realm is still there, still around, still doing evil story station shit.
Speaker 2: That's definitely what it is. I think a lot of people were wondering when the rumor started going, Oh, it's Corey Stahl. He's going to be playing Modoc. You know, his alter ego in the comics is George Tarlton. People were like, oh, they must be recasting him. He's a great actor. It's kind of like Jemma Chan going from Captain Marvel to Eternals and being a new character. But no, I think you are correct. I wrote a piece of IGN yesterday about it. I think that yellowjacket, as we saw at the end of ant Man, get sucked in and kind of mangled to this subatomic size, and I think that's likely why his head is this giant size. I think it might be part of one of the only parts of his body that's left. And we see him sitting in the famous Modoc chair, and then they get that shot that we'd kind of had teased from some toy leaks. Of course, the ultimate score location of Modoc in some kind of battle armor, which is very interesting because that doesn't really exist in the comics. But yeah, this is this movie is going to be absolutely wild. It's going to be absolutely wild.
Speaker 1: Here is what I think is pretty easily gleaned from the trailer, seems like. So Scott obviously disappeared in the Snap, returned in the Blip five years later, save the world as a part of the battle against Thanas, but lost five years raising Cassie, who we see being released from prison and is gone maybe on a on a kind of darker, more criminal minded path. I wonder where she gets that from Scott. Okay, and so Scott probably thinking, God, I need I wish I had that time back. I could have raised Cassie right, I could have done a better job by her. Then comes this message from the Quantum Realm. They get sucked in there, and my guess is Kang Kan just wants out. Kang has been trapped in there for this version of Kang, you know, the conqueror has been trapped in the Quantum Realm and can't get out and needs Scott's help getting out, and in return for him getting out, he will, I guess, returns Scott to a to a timeline happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unclear. What is very clear is that, uh, you know, Janet van Dey, played by the icon Michelle Pfeiffer, has a She has a history with Kang. I like to imagine that they had a romantic and quantum entanglement while she was there. But we see her, you know, she's talking about as she kept the secret, and we see her hiding something that looks a lot like the rings that we saw Fastos making in Eternals and the ten Rings from Shangchi. So it's gonna be some kind of artifact. It could be connected to the Ten Rings, it could be a different version of them that it seems like Janet hid in the quantum realm while she was there. And we're going to see that classic ant man heist story coming in again, which is always the way every anamo you're going to do a heist, and I think it's very fun to imagine where that would go. I I'm interested to see how they sell the emotional journey of Scott being willing to do something terrible to get this time back, because I don't know if it aligns with how I see him. But maybe that darker road that Cassi went down, maybe that's the thing that he wants to change, and that would be a believable arc. But yeah, I mean, this thing looks bonn because and one of the weirdest things about it is they're pulling all these characters Jenra, Kryla, that Krayla had like one appearance, and they're pulling these characters from really weird, Incredible Hulk storylines. So I'm very interested to see if that's something that's gonna come up.
Speaker 1: That's what I was gonna say. This really is the Incredible Hulk enters the Microverse exactly. Basically, it's the Hulk gets sucked into the micro Verse where he falls deeply in love as always as all as he always does when he goes to another relm and gets you know, ensnared in this microverse war that he then has to fight in YadA, YadA, YadA. But it feels like that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean they're doing here. There's a direct connection to that because Kryla his first appearance was during that Microverse event in a Hulk one hundred and fifty six. And Gentra, who we know is going to be played by Katie O'Brien thanks to the pr blast that came with this trailer. That's that's Jorella's niece. Jorella is the person the Hulk fell in love with. So it's very interesting to see them Yeah, Like, it's very interesting to see them pulling from this Microverse stuff, which is also like this very interesting controversial stuff because later on the Microverse would be connected to the Micronats, which Marvel no longer has the rights to, so it becomes this very kind of fun, weird, deep cut history moment. But I'm interested to see. There is actually an issue during that Microverse arc in Hulk one hundred and fifty four where Hulk is Microverse size and he crosses over with ant Man and it has like a really cool cover where like he's like fighting a rat and Man's like flying over the top of him. So I do I look, Hulk, we saw you know, Mark Ruffalo loves this character. That's so many cool things they could do with it. I don't necessarily know if we're going to get our Ulk cameo, but I do feel like he's one of the characters that they're really interested in placing into these stories, like they did with She Hulk, you know, like his role in Infinity War especially, So yeah, I'll be intrigued to see. But I love that they're taking from these weird kind of eras. I wonder if that's Peyton read and Jeff Loveness too, because they're around our age, and I feel like the Microverse stuff, if you're just a little bit older than us or you're around our age and you were digging in the back issues, that is probably something that's like close to your heart. That's like a weird arc. So I'd be really interested to know if this was more of like a personal look back, kind of like how Jessica Gow was bringing a lot of the stuff she loved from She Hulk to that story. Yeah, looks absolutely bonkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anybody has a Marvel Unlimited plan or access to old comics, check out that Hulk in the Microverse run. First of all, that is, you know, it was a very influential story line. That romance is very influential. Hulk fans still talk about it, and you'll see also the kind of template that uh, you know was later followed in some of the great you know, Hulk crossovers like Planet Hulk. I think Planet Hulk is like, yeah, is built on the bones of the Hulk in the micro version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Hulk as a as a fish out of water, not being able to be that huge, looming, kind of singular beast that he's always been that's been able to help, and that definitely very much travels through those other Hulk events. So yeah, it's really fun. It starts in Avengers e. E eight. I've just been rereading it all today after getting the after watching the trailer, So it begins in AE eight and then it's basically like random issues from Hulk one forty to Hulk two o three. So great thing to check out, Like Jason said, if you have an unlimited account, or if you're just going through and doing some back issue digging, because trust me, those are some weird issues. I'm sure you can just still find them around and about.
Speaker 1: Next up, let's talk about the Last of Us. This episode of X ray Vision is brought to you by carry Yuma, the sustainable sneaker worn by skaters and surfers. Karrum is reimagining classic sneakers with human the planet into mind. It's the middle of winter. It's time to get real about layers, lining everything that's going to keep you warm and comfortable when you head outside into that winter weather, when you leave the park at home. The best seller Oka is Just Right twenty thousand and five star reviewers and seventy thousand weightlisters, even your favorite celebrities love this versatile, crazy comfortable shoe. This is Carryuma's new school take on a classic sneaker. Take your pick of durable, organic cotton canvas or ultrasoft, responsibly sourced swede. Kryuma says cozy shouldn't come at a cost of the planet. That's why they created Katuri and Oka Thema winter boots disguised as high tops, made with one hundred percent vegan and recycled materials, and produce in a way that's thick and transparent. One thing you should know about Karyuma They're obsessed with comfort. Even their insoles are lined with vegan shearling. For every pair of sneakers sold, carrying a team plants two trees one two trick countum two trees in the Brazilian rainforest. Carrymus ships all their sneakers free and fast in the USA and offers worldwide shipping and sixty day free returns. They deliver right to your front door using single box recycled packaging, and for limited time, X ray Vision listeners can get exclusive fifteen percent off your pair of Carrium Seekers go to Carium, a dot com slash x ray to get fifteen percent off. That's car iuma dot com slash x ray for fifteen percent off only for a limited time. X Ray Vision is brought to you by Viewery. Viewry is a new perspective on performance apparel. Perfect If you're sick and tired of traditional workout gear that schlubby old sweatpants look, then honestly I dabble into but uh, it's not that adaptable. Here's the thing about Viewury. It's all designed to work out in, but it doesn't look or feel like it. It's so freaking comfortable you will want to wear it all the time. Seriously, it's probably more comfortable than whatever you're wearing right now. Here's the thing, and this is nobs. I'm being absolutely one hundred percent straight up real deal. Holy feel honest with you. I'm wearing them right now.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing them right now.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing the Viewory Sunday Performance Jager And like a burgundy color. The product is incredibly versatile. It can be used for just about any activity like running, training, swimming, yoga, weightlifting, cross fit or what about doing nothing? What about taking some time from yourself to just layser around read some comic books, hang out with your dog and do nothing. You can do that in Viewora too, and to do it very comfortably, and it's great for the planet. View Areas one hundred percent offsetting their carbon footprint. They're also reducing an offsetting one hundred percent of their plastic footprint from twenty nineteen and beyond. They are utilizing better sustainable materials for their products. Empowering your best active life, Vieory's an investment in your happiness. For our listeners that are offering twenty percent off your first purchase, get yourself some of the most comfortable and versaal clothing on the planet at Vori dot com slash x ray. That's Vuo ri I dot com slash x ray. Not only will you receive twenty percent off your first purchase, but enjoy free shipping on any US orders over seventy five dollars end free returns. Go to vieury dot com slash x ray and discover the versatility of Vori clothing. Okay, we're stepping out of the airlock and into the year twenty thirteen to discuss the video game phenomenon that was and that is the last of us The Last of Us released on PS three in June of twenty thirteen. Developed by Naughty Dog. This is there kind of like they had already made a name for themselves in the kind of like cinematic third person action space with the Uncharted series. Absolutely wonderful story about in Indiana Jones knockoff who kills eight hundred guys in order to heist you know, various like gold objects from around the world, and then they come with the Last of Us, which just seemed to knit together, you know, a bunch of strands of things that were kind of like in the air at the time. This is like post the banking collapse, still like you know, post nine to eleven era, this kind of post the Road, This kind of dystopian story about the middle aged guy and a teenage girl who he has to escort across the post apocalyptic wasteland and the kind of the troubles they get in and the relationship they have. It was written by and developed by Neil Truckman, who kind of led the development of game, that directed it and then kind of designed the writing direction. And I remember this was one of I was an Xbox person and so this game was one of the reasons that I saved up money in order to get a PlayStation because I was watching you know, gameplay of it, and particularly the multiplayer gameplay, which I was very into at the time. I was like a big Call of Duty Black Ops person and it just looked it just looked absolutely mesmerizing. It was grittier and like more in air quotes realistic than anything I'd seen before then. And then you know, playing it for the first time, you kind of never there's just it's an indelible experience. It's one of those games where kind of like Resident Evil but very different, where your care or the character whoever you're controlling, whether it's Jrol Er Ellie, feels so vulnerable, and that just affects the way that you play the game. It creates an enormous amount of tens just game I really love, and I think it's one of the best stories told in a video game of all time. Was your experience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. Like this game and God of War, those were like two big game changes for me. I'd always been predominantly into fighting games and platformers, and I really remember both of these games feeling like, oh, this is if a platform game was three D and had puzzles like tomb Raider, but was also a fighting game and you have to learn different combos and different ways to disarm people, and you can stealthily creep up on people, and it was kind of I think about The Last of Us a lot because it is this really interesting cyclical thing, and as we cover this in the show, I'm going to be just talking about this all the time because it kind of blows my mind. So Last of Us is develop in two thousand and nine, which is six years after the Walking Dead comic comes out, and the influence of The Walking Dead on the kind of conception of this game and the tone of this game. When you think of the comics, it can't really be erased, you know, because it's such an unbelievable kind of change in the way we approach zombie storytelling. But the thing that blows my mind is the game was in development a year before the Walking Dead TV show started, which to me is just so wild because this establishes so much of the tone and the vibe and the emotions that then would go on to become a big part of The Walking Dead. So I kind of see the Last of Us in The Walking Dead as this really interesting cyclical constantly inspiring each other and taking inspiration from each other.
Speaker 1: I see it very I see a lot of the Road in it. To the Road, I think, oh, yeah, I want to say it was published in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coffee, I mean that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, first of all, it's in that story you're talking about the relationshipsween a father and son. But very similarly, it's like, you know, the father is the protector of this teenage boy and and the kid is so innocent in a way. We'll talk about the way Elie is depicted in this. In this story, it's very much similar, so innocent and kid like in a way that feels dangerous in that world. And I think the other thing that that really hit, you know, above and beyond the fact that you're talking about this you know, parent child kind of construction is, you know, in the road, there's a moment where they get cornered by you know, one of the cannibals that's that's roaming spoiler spoiler sorry, and the dad shoots the guy. He had one bullet in a revolver and then would carved to look like bullets and painted black. That he so that he put in the barrel so it would look like he had a full barrel. And that kind of like lack of resources. We've only got one of these, I've only got one lighter and barely like it is is absolutely integral to the experience of playing The Last of Us, in which you're just scrounging around for every for like pieces of things to make knives, to make band aids out of it, to make health potions out of top grade.
Speaker 2: You're gone, you know, like all different things.
Speaker 1: One thing that also I wanted to mention is that while you know Druckman is led the development of the game, there's you know, there's like hundreds of artisans and crafts people that you know were worked on this game. Below the line. You can look up the Last of Us credits and there's pages and pages of them too, and they were while you know, Druckman's gonna be the headline name, a lot of people worked on this game and they created an absolute masterpiece. So let's talk about let's quick, let's recap the game. We're going to cover the prologue through the chapter the Cargo, and this game opens with I think one of the most effective cold open prologus ever in games, because it has to do several things. One nest to launch your characters, make you care about them, set up the world too. It has to teach you how to play the game on some level. It has to teach you how to move around, what the buttons do, how to interact with objects. Has to teach you how you know, how you move, what the movement speed is, what the things you are going to interact with are, and it does all those things in a really pulse pounding way. The year is twenty thirteen. We're in Austin, Texas. Joel, blue collar guy and a kind of like hobbyish guitar player, is at home fielding phone calls about work, talking about work, and it appears he's in the construction business and somehow some form of fashion, he's talking about a contractor that is either not doing what they're supposed to do or has some kind of gripe. Meanwhile, his daughter Sarah is asleep on the couch. It's just a regular night in that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just a normal night that in no way kind of hints towards the bleakness of what is to come.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not, Joel is we discover on the phone with his brother Tommy, who also is in business with him somehow, and Joel's like, listen, we can We'll talk about this stuff in the morning. It can wait. Sarah is out of bed, way past her bedtime. And the reason she's out of bed, you know, wearing pajama pants and a T shirt and sleeping on the couch. The reason she's doing this is because she wants to give her dad a birthday gift. It is a new watch, and you can be using this watch all throughout the game. It's a new watch with like a military style field strap, a replacement for an old his older broken watch. And here we get some of the really wonderful voice acting and dialogue with Troy Baker playing Joel, Ashley Johnson playing Ellie Ashley Johnson. By the way, fun fact in Marvels The Avengers, she is the waitress during the Battle of New York YEP who runs out and is like, oh my god, are the Tatari you gonna kill us all? No, Captain Eric is here, that is Ashley Johnson. Joel says, where'd you get the money for this? Drugs? I sell hardcore drugs. Oh good, you can start helping with the mortgage. Then funny shit. Then there is some plaintive acoustic guitar music, which we're gonna get a lot of over the course of this movie, and Sarah's fallen asleep. Joel carries her to bed. Much much later, dead of night, Sarah's awoken by the ringing telephone and it's Tommy and he sounds desperate. He needs to talk to Joel, but before Sarah can get any kind of information in the line goes dead, and Sarah rises from bed really kind of groggy and confused. And it's at this moment that the player takes control. It's like it's a it's a pretty it's a jarring moment because I think you're not expecting. Yeah, you know, like you're you're hardwired at least I am that, like, oh, at some point I'm gonna playing Chowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like the fact that the first person that you work that you are playing as is Sarah. Uh. Lets you know how this game is going to really interestingly subvert your expectations of video games.
Speaker 2: I totally agree because also, like when I was first playing it, I remember kind of thinking like, oh, well, I haven't heard his name yet. Maybe This is actually like Ellie's origin, and I didn't know about the time job for anything, so I'm like, where could he be? What's going on? And what I love about this is like it has to do, like you said, a really hard job. It essentially has to teach you what you need to know about how to use the buttons, how to move, how to interact, but in a way that isn't an exposition dump and it doesn't have the it doesn't have the kind of get out of like a I remember with God of War. They'll just kind of be like hit this button, hit this button, hit this but y you can do it because you're like fighting a demogrgan or a Titan or something, so it doesn't feel odd because you're in that fighting game mood. But here they're still building up to that big horrific reveal and that big kind of tragic cold open, so it's really interesting to kind of be walking around and they want you to explore the room. That's one of my favorite things about this game is it has that puzzle element to it, like, yeah, this time I definitely found different things. There's all different things you can interact with, but this was the first time I think when I was replaying it for the for the pod, where in the bathroom there's a newspaper and when you pick up the newspaper, the newspaper talks about how all these people are getting sick and there's this bar, and you're like, oh, okay, so this is a world where something weird has been going on, but they never really saw it going this way because you don't, right, we've lived it. Now it's like you think it's gonna be okay, and uh yeah. It's just such an immersive and interesting situation. And it's very smart foreshadowing because immedia, it is immediately like, oh, you won't just be playing as Joel. Get ready to play and see this world through a kid's eyes, because that's like a large pot of what you're going to need to do.
Speaker 1: It also subverts your concept, or at least my concept, of what playing a video game means, because I think in for much of the Last of Us, for like, you know, I would say seventy percent of the game, you're barely playing a video game. What I mean by that is, you know, a video game is interactive, you're playing as a character, right, But I think the way most of us think of that is you're controlling this you know, set of pixels, but you're making the decisions. You're doing all the things. The last of us is not that you are on rails. You are making certain decisions in moments of action when you're taking on you know, or fireflies are infected about how to move through the world, about you know, like what to craft and how and whether to either kill an enemy or sneak by them. But Joel is going where he's going. Yeah, and you can do nothing about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's one of the most interesting things on this replay is like I understand in hindsight and this is like on this is like knowing the lottery numbers after you've already won. So this is not some deep insight, but like I can see how part of the reason that people loved this and how it got so many new people into Triple A Gaming is this is essentially a movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a movie.
Speaker 2: It feels like you're walking through a movie. Yeah, It's like what if you were in a movie and you could look at some things on the wall, or you could occasionally feel like you're making a moral decision for your character. But especially in this early stuff, you know you will have people there guiding you where you need to go. Even if you try and go in a different direction and explore something, you will end up back on the path that you need to be on because there is a story that the creators wanted to tell. And that might sound like it's constricting or you know, it keeps you from exploring the world, but that's not how it feels at all. And also the reason that in this case I can definitely say that putting you on those rails is right is because the story that it tells is just so great and it has like one of the best payoffs kind of.
Speaker 1: All incredibly compelling. So, as Rosie mentioned, now the game is asking us as Sarah to kind of explore the world for the first time. And then the first piece of this world that we can explore is Sarah's room, and it is a typical teenage girls room, posters, magazine covers, tacks to the wall as a boombox, lots of CDs, it is twenty thirteen, there's a little TV, there's a dresser with lots of little personal knickknacks and items and things, and on top of the dresser we see a triangle symbol draws us forward, and now all of a sudden we understand, Okay, this is how we read things in this world, so you can press it to read it. And it's Sarah's birthday card for Joel, which she forgot to give him. She says, I forgot to give him this. And the cover is a green dinosaur, which is really wonderful in retrospect, as I was kind of replaying, because it's this first suggestion of one of the game's kind of deep themes, which is extinction and life continuing. You know, here's this image of a dinosaur, this creature that ruled the earth for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions of years and died out, and now life goes on, but in a different form. And it almost leads you to wonder if Joel, you know, long after Joel and Ellie and Tommy and Marlene and everybody have died out, if the infected create some kind of world of their own, maybe, you know, maybe there will be something else, some kind of other thing that arises thousands and millions of years after this.
Speaker 2: I think that's one of the most prescient questions that this game raises, And there's a really brilliant book by Mike Kerrey called The Girl with All the Gifts, which is very funny because the plotline and arcs of the characters are very similar to the Last of Us. And it came out like kind of just almost a year afterwards, but obviously the book had been being written for a long time. Mike Kerry's an X Men writer, just a great guy, and that book basically takes that question and adds this lens of who gets to choose who lives and dies in those situations and what does it mean? And it's so profound and I just cannot recommend that book enough as a companion to the game and the show. When you start watching it, and it's one of those it's like Deep Impact and and Volcano and Dante's Peak, but in this way, it happened with a video game in a book, and it's I love that you pointed out, because I think that's such a good get and kind of that interesting notion as well of dinosaurs were terrifying and they were all conquering, they ran the earth, and now years later they are on a birthday card.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A little cartoons and little.
Speaker 2: Cute birthday card like and to imagine how far you'd have to go into the future for the infected to become something that was less scary and more of just like a story people tell is really interesting to think about.
Speaker 1: The overt theme, of course, of the game is love, what you would do for someone you love. How love and selfishness can kind of be the same thing. And here we get a taste of how much Sarah loves her dad. She's written in the card, Dear dad, Let's see you're never around. You hate the music I'm into. You practically despise the music I like, and yet somehow you still manage to be the best dad year. How do you do that? Heavy birthday pops? Love Sarah? Sarah, Now you can do you can linger in the room, you can do anything. But here we go into the darkened house and Sarah's looking for a dad. She's calling out for him as you move her through the through the empty house, you go into the bedroom. Jol's bedroom is empty. But here and this game is so good at delivering exposition and little dribs and drabs, and at just the right time, here his TV is on and you get a local news report where the reporter is standing on a local street in Austin and is delivering terrifying news. There's some kind of infection on the loose. Those who are stricken are apparently, you know, overcome by aggressive and violent instincts. Behind the reporter, you see soldiers patrolling scenes of destruction. There's buildings on fire behind them that Sarah clearly, you know, seems to recognize that place. She says, oh that, you know, I know where that is. And you see the time, it's one forty seven am. And then before anything else can happen, there's an explosion. The building behind them explodes, and the news cuts short. All of a sudden, there's dogs barking outside, which perfectly leads you to turn Sarah towards the window, and you look out the window, which has this view of some woods and then the downtown Austin skyline behind it, and there's just starting to be fires blooming behind those trees somewhere in the city, and things are starting to get scary. At this point, if you're playing this for the first time, the hair is on the back of your neck. They're just starting to stand up because this is a totally darkened house, and that feeling of vulnerability is one that this game will absolutely weaponize, and you're feeling it right now for sure, for the first time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Sarah goes pilot Sarah downstairs. Now there's police cars racing down the street. You see Joel's phone on the kitchen counter, another triangle, you can pick it up. Sarah goes to pick it up. Eight missed calls, a bunch of texts from Tommy. No. Also clearly that just happened. The cell phone towers just went down. It's happening fast, whatever is happening, and you can see if the text that Tommy is racing towards the house. There's a note on the fridge for Sarah on the stationary of Sarah's youth soccer team. It says, I'm going to be home late tonight. Go ahead and order fruit. See you in the morning, dad. Another nice character note. Just contrast the kind of like loving and warm writing style of Sarah with Joel's very utilitarian note here, no love, just see you in the morning, Dad, and it leads you to imagine the regret that Joel surely feels. As the rest of this story picks up decades later, there's a light on in the study, and this game uses light so well because that draws our attention. Again, Sarah walks towards the light, which is again Joel's office, and you walk by these sliding doors and you hear there's like a strangled sound. I don't know how you would describe it. Yeah, but it's kind of like half a bark.
Speaker 2: It's a kind of doctor roll strangled. It's horrible. It's the kind of noise where where if you were in a horror movie, you would say, I'm not going in there. It's the nope noise. You're like, no. But she needs to find her dad. She's worried. She's a kid. And that's another thing that's very smart about this game, because it puts you in vulnerable positions, but that take you out of your own comfort zone. Everyone can remember being a kid and creeping around your house and oh there's a power cart, or you don't know where your parents are, if you're woken up after a nightmare, and this opening very much invokes that, so much so that I'm sure there were players who were like, oh, I don't want to play as a little girl. But I think by the time you get to this and you're creeping slowly into that room and you've heard that noise. I think everyone at that point is in You're starting to feel the fear, so that.
Speaker 1: Noise happens, and you know, if you're a player like me, you have Sarah look outside because you're standing right next to a sliding glass door and the outside of the backyard is completely dark, but very ominously like there's this tire swing back there and it's moving and not like the wind moved it, but moved, like moving like something ran by it. Just as you enter the study, there's another sliding guest glass door in there. It's open, and Joel comes running and he's fucking panicked and he's like, did anyone come in here? He's immediately goes over, gets his gun from the jor he's loading it. He's telling Sarah to stay away from the doors. Sarah's like, what's going on? Joel says, the neighbors, the Cooper's they're sick. Something's not right with them. And then before anything more can happen, and here is like a scene that feels ripped from twenty eight days later. Jimmy, who we am me at? Who I believe to be Jimmy Cooper, that neighbor, but now infect it. Yeah, just crashes through the glass door and Joel has to shoot him. Joel has to shoot him dead. Now Sarah is in a state of absolute shock. Joel takes Sarah to the driveway. Tommy's there just in the nick of time. Everybody jumps in and now it's a race. The idea is it seems to be take Highway seventy one kind of out of town because the army is setting up roadblocks in order to quarantine the area, probably wisely, so no one can get I don't want the infection to spread, but they want to be on the other side of that. But because clearly, like the infected, it's not like they're just sick in their bedrooms. They're running around doing really bad shit. This is haro. This is when you're just like, oh fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this does and another great exposition. They're in the car. What does that mean. That means they can listen to the radio, so you're getting this information. And what I loved about this that I was doing the whole time, when I was playing at this time, you mentioned the you know this lighting glass doors and the ability to look out of windows. That's something that blows my mind in this game because there is constantly things going on, whether it's the wind blowing something or building blowing up. And when you're in the car, you can in the backseat as Sarah just constantly turn around and the look and I was getting so scared, like I would see something and I was sure that somebody was going to come and get me. And you can really build up that tension as they're kind of leading you through like oh this is bad, but you're there and you can hear them talking, and you can really just be looking at the You see people packing up their cars, you see things like exploding in the background, you see things running across the road. It's wonderful.
Speaker 1: About that exposition. We get some more of it now where Tommy is. You know, Tommy's super excited. He is saying that whatever's happening here, this outbreak, they thought it was just happening in the Southwest, but appears to be happening all over the country, and that leads you to wonder, like is it happening all around the world. Sarah asks the question that I think anyone would ask, which is like, are we sick? Is it us? And then Joel and you can feel his that that kind of like fatherly impulse to like shield his child from anything troubling or dangerous or worrying. He's like, no, no, no, no, we're fine. Uh, it's just the people in the city that are sick. Now we're fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jimmy Cooper worked in the city. He's he mentions. So now it's letting you know where Joel's head is at.
Speaker 2: They established Joel's in this moment. They're like, don't get it twisted. This is who this man is.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there's a family on the road with kids and they look scared, and Tommy's like, oh, we should stop, and Joel's like, no, no, no, no, you keep going. We're not stopping. Somebody will come for them. You haven't seen what I've seen. And we keep going, and here you get you know again, this is who Joel is. When Joel is with the people he cares about, everybody else can go fuck off. He doesn't care.
Speaker 2: There's a great line that I love where Tommy's like, but they have kids, and he said so do yeah, And you know, Sarah is very hurt by this moment. Kind of for a couple of minutes. Afterwards she will say like, we should have helped them, We should have helped them, alas probably bad for that family they didn't get in the car. Honestly, I mean, there's no there's no good version.
Speaker 1: There's no good version. There's zero good version. Right yeah, yeah, Uh. Tommy runs into the back of a gigantic traffic jam. Everybody who is awake at this time has been listening to the news is trying to do the exact same thing they're doing, which a nightmak at a time, it's a nightmare. And then right in front of them, as they're wondering, okay, what do we do, somebody gets out of their car to yell, hey, like, what's the hold up? And they're just immediately set upon by infected. It's horrific. They get out of there, Tommy accelerates, They take a turn and end up like on a on the streets of like a town that looks like like a a village, like on the outskirts of Austin somewhere. There's people running everywhere, and then they get t boned by another vehicle and everything goes black.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just also want to say, before this, there's another really great Joel is like sucks moment, which is like they're they're outside like a movie theater and all these people are running like you said, and they're kind of stuck and and and he's just like he's just like driving them. He's like running over and Tommy's like, no, I'm not gonna do that, Like I can't do that. There's and He's like, there's people behind us too, and Joel's like, I don't care, just reverse, like just kill them. Like you said, it's a tunnel vision of protecting the people that he loves to the point where he's built up these walls towards everyone else, and everyone else, like you said, can just go get fucked. But yeah, they t boned. It's all going badly for them.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this is where you know we're gonna be talking about this all throughout. I'm sure the show are coverage of the show and are continuing coverage of the game, because it's the central question of this story is if you had to give up someone you love to allow everyone else to have everyone they love cured free of the dangers of this terrible cordyceps fungus that's out there to basically save the world. Would you do it? And the answer for Joel, and you know it from the first minutes you play this game, before you even start playing, as in, what you're about to do is no. So after we wake up from this car crash, we're now Joel. We've the players taking control of Joel, and we crawl out of the wreck and are immediately attacked by an infected And here again comes the tutorial portion of this cold open. You're told you can hit the square button to kind of like get the infected off you. You kind of like hammer that square button. This is another of like a thing that people who played the Uncharted games would be familiar with this kind of mechanic. And again I'll point out, like this is barely interactive. This is not you know, you're not like you're just like button mashing. This is like barely barely a game. And I mean that in the most complimentary way, because it just it keeps you invested by letting you do the most efficient and like simple thing. So we realize now it's Pandemoni on the streets. Joel gets Sarah out of the car. She's hurt her legs probably broken. Joel gives Tommy the gun, picks up Sarah, and now we're running. And at this point I don't know about you, Rosie, but at this point, as you're kind of maneuvering through danger and picking away through the crowds with Tommy covering us, and you're trying to kind of dodging infected and dodging other people, I'm this is when the first time I played I started to think, Oh, I think this is kind of what the game is going to be. Yeah, this is the game.
Speaker 2: It's right and evil. You have to submit. Yeah, it's kind of like the Walking Dead O g out of the city, but you're going to keep coming up against different infected communities. But right now, it's like you're in that town. It's very Raccoon city, Like you have to get out, you have to survive.
Speaker 1: Oh, how wrong we are, Uh, extremely wrong. There are lots of horrors to be seen here on this kind of like run to safety wherever safety could be. There is like a gas station that explodes, there's people on fire. Uh. Joel, Sarah and Tommy end up in an alleyway. Tommy has to shoot an infected uh, and then Tommy ends up. They end up cutting through like a bar with Tommy holding the door against the infected Hodor style so that Joel and Sarah can escape, and you end up piloting Joel to a wooded path. There's a bunch of crash cars here, and at the top of the path there is a soldier who helpfully mows down the infected that have been chasing you and Sarah. But something isn't and you could tell that something is right because the soldier is like, don't hold on, you stay right there, and then confers with someone over the radio to be like, Okay, what are we doing here, I've got like two people? Yeah, got it, and Joel knows what's coming. The soldier opens fire, everybody falls down the hill. Tommy shoots the soldier, putting that thread out, but heartbreakingly, Joel crawls over to Sarah and she's hit in the stomach and she dies in really one of the most realistic video game deaths in the sense that there's no fucking music, there's no you know, there's no text on the screen. She doesn't even finish what she's saying. She just dies, and the voice acting is incredible. The graphics are just troublingly real, and it's a brutal moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I I mean, there's there's so there's so many brilliant little choices that happen for this when he's on when the soldier is on the radio.
Speaker 2: In case you are not as cynical as Joel and you don't understand what's going on, he says, but one of them's a little girl. And that's when you know. I love this choice. Like obviously, irp Sarah like I don't. I don't love their little kid died. In fact, as a as I'm growing older, my my capacity for violence is sim is lowering, and I found the replay of the game is incredibly violent. But I love this choice so much. I think it's the strongest choice until the end, which has like one of my favorite kind of moral quandary endings that I love. But I think that the choice to have Sarah killed by the soldiers is like the smartest choice that this game makes because it would have been so easy for her to just die from being killed by one of the infected. That's the nature of zombie games. It gives them a reason to hate zombies. Or the infected. The clickers' is like, oh, this is really terrible, but instead it's that horror of humanity. It's like, this is what people will do when they're put in this situation. They won't help you, they'll follow orders and they'll just kill a child. And it sets up how angry Joel is. And when you're killing many many soldiers as you do throughout the game, you're like, you know what they shot Sarah, You're like, this is okay.
Speaker 1: Not to mention it's all like really trenching points, and not to mention that the soldier from a different perspective is doing exactly what Joel does at the end of this fucking game, which is kill the thing that is the danger because in making that choice to take lives because this is for the greater good. Now, in terms of Joel, the greater good is the personal relationship that he is going to develop with Ellie and everything else and everybody else in the world can fuck off. For the soldier, it's if this infection gets out, we're fucked. Like, it's terrible for all these people. I Like, I'm not saying it's this isn't horrible, but this infection can't get out.
Speaker 2: No. I love that take because you know what else that is incredibly smart that you've kind of just given me a light bulb moment about, is like, you, we kill so many people in this game, especially in the Believing You are Trust Me, you kill barely any infected. In the opening chapters of this game. You just kill a lot of people. And it's kind of unbelievably smart and surprisingly empathetic for a game like this, in like a post kind of Call of Juty world to begin with the death that is so emotionally hammering and then be like, oh, you have to kill a lot of people, and every time you kill someone, what the game really wants you to be doing is thinking about Sarah dying and how much that ruined you, and who would be ruined by these people's deaths that you're just so casually causing. It's very smart storytelling, and it just sets up the kind of bleak tone, and obviously on a narrative level, it establishes like a really really great conflict and an arc for Joe that will go on, especially when he meets Ellie. But yeah, I just I think it's such a good, brave decision to have it be a soldier, a human who kills her. That's always the most heartbreaking version of these kind of things. There's a brilliant Walking Dead spin off show that was like a ya spin off show. I think it was called Walking Dead World Beyond, but it has a very It definitely took a lot from this because there's a really great storyline about one of the kids coming to terms with killing a zombie killing walker, but the reality is that they killed a human and that's really what they're coming to terms within it. I just think that is the most interesting area to explore in these zombie stories. Nobody. Look, we've seen so many zombie stories in our in our lifetime, but what really catches people about this about the Walking Dead, that nature of humanity and how it responds in that circumstance. That is the story that we want to see. And I think that's why The walk that's why The Last of Us was so affecting because of little choices like this.
Speaker 1: It's maybe the best, most effective, most impactful for me version of like the classic zombie story theme, which is actually were the monsters? Yeah the zombies are doing yeah the zombie Yeah, it's us. The zombies are doing what they do. Uh, they're a state of nature, you know. But we are the ones making the choice to torture each other, to exploit each other for our things, for our resources, to sell things and sell people to survive. We are the ones choosing to do that. The infect that are living out there in a very in a state of balance, not attacking each other. Certainly, X ray vision will be back. X ray Vision is brought to you by Smile Actives. Are you self conscious about your smile due to stains? Are your teeth aging you? Popular food and drinks are known to stain teeth. Beverages like coffee, which I drink by the gallon, and wine stain them over time. So what can you do to brighten your smile? Well, you should give smile Actives a try. Smile Actives is safe, it's a big deal. It's going to be in your mouth, easy to use, and it will keep you smiling proudly. Ninety seven percent of Smile Actives users in a clinical trial reported up to six shades wide or on average, all within thirty days. That's a regular old month. Have you ever wished that you had a whiter and brighter smile that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, before you visit a dentist, which you should do, you should know that their whitening treatments can be very expensive. And it's not just the price, it's the hassle. You have to book the appointment. It's a schedule at a time from work. You have to go leave your family and friends and sit in a dentist's office where it's all weird in there, and they're making small talk at you, and there's bad magazines. It's just annoying. Fortunately, now you can try Smile Actives at home or anywhere anytime. Smile Actives offers a safe and affordable alternative to those expensive whitening procedures. Simply add Smile Actors pro whitening jelty irregular twothpaste. That's it. That's the setup. How do you use it? Then you just brush your teeth. You brush your teeth like normal. It's been formulated with polyclean technology. What's that you ask. It's more than Uni clean and it's more than by clean. It's polyclean. It's lots of cleaning tech in one formula to boost stain removal and deliver active whitening ingredients to the teeth, grooves and crannies to get bitter whitening. Some products only get the grooves, some products only get the crannies. Smile Actives is getting the grooves and the crannies. Smile Actors makes the teeth whitening gel. It's simply be added to your toothpaste every time your brush your teeth. What could be similar? No change in your routine, note extra time, Yet people will start commenting on your whiter, brighter smile in mere days. Smile Actives is the whitening boost your favorite toothpaste needs to give you the smile you deserve. Visit Smile actives dot com slash x ray today to receive our special buy one, get one free offer and free shipping and handling. That's Smile Actives dot com slash x ray x ray Vision is brought to you by Hello Fresh. You've got new year's goals, and Hello Fresh is here to help you achieve them. Why don't you skip the grocery store and take control of your time and budget with delicious, restaurant quality recipes delivered wear. How about right to your door where you live. If you're looking for an easy way to eat well and save money this year. Hello Fresh is a great place to get started. It's cheaper than grocery shopping and twenty five percent cheaper than takeout. With over thirty five weekly recipes, they have options you're looking for to help you achieve your goals. Choose calorie smart and carb smart recipes, or even customiz select meals by swapping proteins or sides, upgrading your proteins, or adding protein to a veggi dish. Hello Fresh's latest line of meals is fast and fresh recipes featuring robust flavors and filling portions that are ready in less than fifteen minutes. You know, sometimes I don't have I don't have time shop. I'm a busy person, as I'm sure you are. Sometimes I don't know. It might feel a little fraught to go out in public where lots of people wearing masks, maybe not wearing masks, are breathing and breathing stuff into the air, and maybe you don't feel comfortable. And that's why HelloFresh can be is just can be really efficient, really simple and really easy, and then they have the recipes really good. You can follow them. Sometimes I don't follow them. Honestly, sometimes I just go off script and just do whatever the hell I want to do because they just sent me some chicken cutlets and some nice herbs, and I just go off book. And that's okay too. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash x ray to use code x ray twenty one for twenty one free meals plus free shipping. That's HelloFresh dot com slash x ray two one with code x ray twenty one. Why because you get twenty one free meals plus free shipping. Hello Fresh, America's number one meal kit. And we're back. We cut to twenty years later and we meet Joel. Now he's waking up. He is grayer, obviously hardened by the years that have passed and the loss that he has suffered. He wakes up at a secure safe quarantine zone in what is still called Boston, to pounding on the door, and the person at his door is Tess is hard drinking partner and smuggling and also lover. We can love that, evenly.
Speaker 2: It's sulling here. These two are almost symbiotic in their ability to stealthily move around the city, kill people, and smuggle shit. They are survivors first and foremost, and at the moment they survive by relying on each other. But it is clear from the outset that that is not some kind of deep seated, trusting, loving relationship. That is the nature of the world that we live in. They have to survive, and at the moment they are useful to each other to do that.
Speaker 1: Tess enters. She's got a big new black eye, and she's yelling about some kind of smuggling meet up that Joel missed. Joel Joel kind of like fucked her on this deal. It had to do with pills, ration cards, whatever it was. Test took care of it. But on the way back from the deal, she got jumped by four dudes who she doesn't say, but who we can guess are now dead them because Tess, we'll say it now for the first time, is a psychotic murderer.
Speaker 2: She is a mass murderer, and she will take you on a journey. Every point she's like, let's go do this thing, and it really turns out that you are gonna have to mass murder a lot of people to do it. Maybe that's just the nature of the world, but Tess has a tendency towards being as she will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she if if the thing that she wants is on the other side of a lot of people, Tests will take the path that takes her through the people. Yeah, because that's just who Tests is.
Speaker 2: And that is something very interesting that the game does that I have begun to see on my replay because I'm coming at from this more critical perspective. I'm not just like high playing it and I'm like a teenager or whatever, you know, But like, the game sets you up on multiple missions where if you go Tests Root and you try and kill a bunch of people, when you get further in, you will never survive. But if you can stealthily get around and avoid killing people, you can get through it really easily. And it establishes and there are ways to get through with combat. You can be the badass, you can hit, you can pick, you can pick those things just really hard. But it's really hard. And I love that they kind of establish the rules of what you think the game are, Oh, you kill people because they're in our way and we need their things. But then they're like, oh, but actually, if you want to try not to kill people, maybe that will be easier. Sometimes it's it's very interesting but yeah, they're after Robert, and that's going to go badly for Robert.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Robert. These dudes were that Tests probably killed, were sent by Robert, who is a former like smuggling partner in smuggling, maybe like a person they have dyne like an ally, and apparently Robert double crossed them on a deal for a bunch of guns, and Test wants the guns back and guess what she knows where Robert is. He's in a warehouse an area five. So she's like, you want to come fuck Robert up with me? And Joel's like, yeah, let's go on the way. We had some some of this again wonderfully delivered exposition where Tests is telling us that seems like more people from the quarantine zone have been getting infected by the cordyceps. Joel, I think rightly suggests that this is because people have been bringing quarantine people like Joel Adess have been sneaking out, probably to get stuff. It is suggested, though never really laid out in any kind of detailed way, that that the quarantine zone authorities are like it's like a dictatorship, Like it's atalitarian dictatorship. There's it's hard to understand like what shape that takes. Certainly because like Test and Joel have no problems walking around and it seems like they have no problems getting fake IDs to move through checkpoints. But you know, whatever shape that takes, life in the quarantine zone leaves people wanting, and certainly it drives people like Jol and Tests to you know, go outside the law in order to you know, get stuff, which leads me to think of, oh, I forget the name of the guy. He like is one of the philosophers who's responsible for the postmodernist of philosophy, but he said something like it's much easier to imagine the end of the world than it is to imagine the end of capitalism. And that is on display here because obviously testan Joel are out here looking for ration cards, which are today's currency.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really great point because again when we talk about the exposition, and also this is game that is very focused on character, there's a lot of great world building visually because of a video game, and it has an unbelievable amount of like you said, artisan's animat as people working on it, but a lot of the stuff that we come to glean about the world in general, is much more of that what is going on and that idea that there are definitely most of the economy within the zone of the quarantine area is a smuggling, bartering kind of culture which very much heavily leans into capitalism. And we get into those moments later on, especially and kind of just when we start to explore where there's these kind of brutal curfews and if you don't follow the curfew you're getting shot. So there's like we don't know at this point, like who is in charge? Why is this happening? But we it's not a good time to be alive.
Speaker 1: Nine a great time. Tess and Joel on their way to Robert try to go through a certain checkpoint, but on their way through the check point, the checkpoint gets hit by the Fireflies, who we have learned through the exposition dump during the credits are a extremist militia group who are dedicated to finding a cure for all this. Like they the suggestion and again not really laid out, but the suggestion is by their very existence is that the zone authorities are complacent, are happy enough to be ruling this little rump of civilization that's left over, whereas the Fireflies, you know, this ragtag collection of armed scientists and everyday people who just want to return to the world as it was, are actually interested in doing something in order to cure this fungus, to to stamp it out. So they've just attacked and Joel and Tests end up having to go a different way. They go through, you know, a building that is part of the smuggling network. We're looking for Robert here. Now we start to arm and you start to pick up the stuff that Joel and later on Ellie you're going to use in order to you know, navigate through this world. And for Joel right now and for the player right now, that's just a knapsack to hold scavenged items and a nine millimeters pistol. Eventually we end up outside the quarantine zone, where it is gorgeous. It's calls to mind Chernoyl. Yeah, you know this place where something horrendous has happened that has driven humanity away, but nature has reclaimed it. It's like beautiful greenery, destroyed buildings.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite thing about this game, and it's my favorite thing about the choices that they made to differentiate it from what we've seen before. It also fits in with the nature of what you were talking about, this idea of extinction and how the world continues on and life continues as you know, life will find a way all that kind of stuff. Because yeah, it's this horrific quarantine zone and the cops are there and the army is there, and you can't go through without your ideas, and they're basically keeping people prisoner in this space, but they can't stop the plants from going, they can't stop the ponds from bubbling up. That it's so beautiful and it is just such a nice change from the dark, darkly lit kind of tombs that we're used to in horror video games, and this does have some of that, like there is a lot of spoof and you've got and you've got a flashlight, and you're scenees of cool shit. But it these moments of beauty and these flashes they will as you play through the game and as we go to talk about it in future episodes, they lead to some of the most kind of emotionally stunning moments in the game. And I love this choice and it makes me, It just makes me really happy. And the remastered version is even more beautiful than beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's beautiful. In one of these ruined buildings, we encounter the spores for the first time. Tests and Joel have gas masks which they put on in order to avoid being infected by these spores. I guess it doesn't matter if you get them on your clothes and stuff later, like I you know, like as long as you don't breathe them in. I'm not gonna question Joel. And they've been doing this a long time and they know what they're doing, okay, And if you'll fucked as we find out. Fuck, it'd be interesting to see, you know, when the show airs, how sciencey they make, because clearly, I think if you get the fungus, if you get the cordyceps on your fucking shirt and then you touch your shirt, you're gonna have to take it. Yeah, You're gonna have to like decontaminate anyway. So we encounter the spores and you see the source of the spores, which is like this person who has been you know, uh it suffer an advanced infection. It's his body seems almost like torn open by the spores with these like tentacle like things coming off of them. It's almost like a melding of plant and person in this kind of like body horror kind of way, very body horror.
Speaker 2: And they're sort of like it almost looks like fingers are growing out of random parts of the bodies, which I'm assuming are kind of these cordyceps like mushroom fungal kind of situations. It's really creepy, and in those moments you really invoke that resident evil kind of dead space, like, oh, what's coming around the corner. But it's very funny because they don't. They let you have it, they let you fight, they give you a taste, but really you're here to get Robert, and that means killing humans. That means that's that's the bleakness of what you have to do to survive and to get to the part of the story that is so important.
Speaker 1: Well you get to do that. Shortly after seeing the source of the spores in this building. You find it, you know, some other scavenger who is out here, a very very heavy apparently like a file cabinet and piece of the wall I think has fallen on this person and now they are infected and they beg Joel and Test to just put him out of his misery. Just do it. And now you are given the choice. You are Joel, and you can either kill him or leave him. I don't know about you, but I put him out of his again, yeah, because like you know, it's not the other way. It's a terrible choice, but the other way is worse. And this gives you again of the taste of the kind of moral bleakness that you're going to be faced with as Joel. But Test is going to be faced with a similar choice later. And unlike Joel, who is us, she has no hesitation and does not think about it at all. She just does the kill him thing. Eventually, Tests and Joel arrive at like some squalid camp, you know, bird into these like narrow city streets, and it is fucking bleak there. There's like there's like bare knuckle fighting.
Speaker 2: People are trying to fight you, like if you get too close to people that are gonna push you. Nobody knows Joel, nobody has but they know Tests.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They Test has a lot of respect here.
Speaker 2: Maybe all makes boyfriends too. She calls some of them like an ex headache and on my own. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So as we move through here, Test kind of gets gets a further pinpoint on where Robert is going to be. They move around the corner. Test bribes a local with some ration cards to get that pinpoint, a location for Robert, and just as we head off around the corner, here come three dudes, Robert's good muscle, apparently Robert. Whatever Robert is doing out here in the in the wasteland, he is managing to accrue power. People are following him and you see that in this moment, and they're like, you can't go any further, YadA, YadA, YadA, what do you want? Test is like, oh really, and just shoots the first guy. Yeah, flat out, just like cold blooded executes the first guy. And now you get your first taste of real combat in this game.
Speaker 2: You are in trouble because now you have to be shooting some people because these men.
Speaker 1: And this is and this is like the kind you've got and you've got like nine bullets. Yeah. So Joel and Test work together to take care of the other two, and then as you move past this, you encounter the rest of Robert's men. They apparently didn't hear what just happened some ways away to their compatriots and they're just kind of walking around and you have to sneak past them, maybe choke them out, if you want to bash them over the head, whatever the case might be. But as you're moving through this world again with this great exposition, you're getting these little you're overhearing, these little snippets of conversation that paint you know what the world is. You hear, for instance, one of Robert's people talking about the fireflies, Yeah, and how they're seem to be gathering people to them as well, just in the same way that that Robert are doing. And as you move through this world, the only thing that you are struck by is one how dangerous and how exposed you feel all the time. And the second is Tess is a fucking psycho. Yeah, she is a cycle.
Speaker 2: She is she is past the place of being a broken survivor. She is forever changed. There is no going back to.
Speaker 1: Whatever happened to her is that she.
Speaker 2: Will kill anyone that is her first, you are given the choice. This is when you start to learn how to be stealthy. How to they say, strangle someone? You can say, maybe you're just choking them out till they go unconscious. I believe you're probably killing them, but and you start, you can you can pick up bottles that you can throw to distract people. You can kill people with bricks. You can there's that you can get. You get a ship at this point, which is very dramatic, right, but Test will always shoot fast, not both to ask questions later.
Speaker 1: She's been through it. Yes, Finally we get moving through this, uh, this thicket of enemies. We get eyes on Robert, that cocky son of a bitch, Test says. And then after several other like about three other very very bloody fights, and then a squirrely footchase through the alley, we corner Robert. Guns are gone, he says, they're gone. He sold them to the fireflies. Test is like, yeah, well I want him back, and Robert's like Robert now again this excellent voice acting. Robert realizes that because he's of no value anymore to Tests, he doesn't have the guns, he's probably gonna fucking die.
Speaker 2: He knows it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: It's gonna happen. Right now. He's gone from this guy who is like a udding warlord, you know, like gathering strength, to about to get fucking done on the ground in an alley, and so he's desperately begging for his life by basically pitching like this crazy adventure. Hey, here's what we do. You know us three. I'll get you in to meet the fireflies and you kill him and then you take the guns back and we're good, right, And then Test is like no, and she just fucking shoots him in the head. He's done, uh tests, and Joel really more tests. But Joel's Joe Joel for the ride. Joel's along for the ride. Now this is interesting. So Test is like, I still want the guns, and Joel goes along with it. My read on this is Joel died twenty years ago and he doesn't care if he dies. Now. I think it's dangerous.
Speaker 2: I think every day for Joel, every day for Joel is the worst day of his life. Yeah, but he's also absolutely numb to it. I think it's very interesting how they have him missed that drap because it opens up so many questions the first time you play what we liked? Yeah, well, like, was this especially bad dave him? Was this an anniversary? Was he just wasted? Like? Was he so out of it? And he doesn't care?
Speaker 1: And I think he doesn't care.
Speaker 2: It's every day. Is like, if this is the lost day, then fine.
Speaker 1: Fine, okay, you want to do some crazy shit. We're going to take on the fireflies we just saw launch a devastating attack on like armed soldiers in the zone. Yeah. Sure, like yeah. So, as they're discussing having to meet up with the fireflies some way, somehow, you know, in a wonderful stroke of luck, the firefly leader in the quarantine zone, Marlene, who has been wounded in one of the fights that took place, you know, a couple of minutes ago, uh staggers up and she says, I can get you your guns back, but you have to do a job for me. And Tessa's like, okay, you know how many ration cars you need? What do you need moved? And she's like no, no, no, no, a smuggling job. Mar He needs them apparently, tests and Joel, because one, all the people they were going to use they just killed. And two, despite the fact that the fireflies look pretty punchy in that recent attack on the checkpoint, they're getting ground down. At least in the quarantineszone. The fireflies are you know, almost used up. She says that the zone authorities apparently needing a scapegoat for how shitty things are in the zone, Like they just want to take people's mind off of how shitty things are in the zone. And therefore they launched this attack on the Fireflies to just kind of like have an enemy that's out there that they can the people can blame things on. They initiated the hostilities against the fireflies, and the Fireflies are on the losing end of this. We're trying to defend ourselves, Marlene says. So now it's Joel, Marlene and psychotests sneaking their way past very very heavily armed soldiers. And again that you're getting this. The game is introducing you to the various enemies in a really, really wonderful fashion to get to the firefight holdout base. Marlene is gutshot, she's barely on her feet, and she leads them and tests to it looks like a schoolroom or what do you think? Yeah, I'm not sure what this is.
Speaker 2: It's very unusual. And the fact that she needs Joel to help her open the door, not just to help us, you know, test that we can open a door with a triangle. It's a very heavy door. I wonder if it's some kind of locker or cooler or it's something, but but it does look like at one point there was some kind of classroom or or base there that people we were teaching in. It's very interesting. And obviously this is like a huge moment because this is this is where we meet Ellie, right.
Speaker 1: So this is this is the cargo to be smuggled. We meet Ellie. She is behind this door. Ellie seeing that what a bad state Marlene is in, is concerned. She's like, oh my god, are you okay? And it's a jarring moment because it's the first time since Sarah. So I don't know, you know, your mileage may vary, but for me maybe like three hours of gameplay or something like that, three and a half hours. It's the first time in three and a half hours of gameplay that you've met a character who cares about someone else. Yeah, in a way that is not toxic, a person that is not related to them, just a person just showing kind of like care for a person who's hurt, not a thing that Joel or test traffic in at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's it's such a good moment as well, because like it's not. It doesn't. The moment that we meet Ellie is so well established because the first thing she does when she sees Marlene coming through the door, she like pulls out a knife and is like she's a Joel and Test She's like, get the fuck away from her, Like this isn't someone that she's even particularly that close to. But she sees someone's injured who she knows, and she sees two strangers, and she's ready to fight. But that doesn't take away any of her empathy or compassion for Marlene. She's just trying to protect that. It's the opposite of what we've seen from Test and Joel, and it's a It's a really great moment where you kind of get to learn so much about this kid, and it opens up this intriguing mystery of how would they know each other, why would the cargo be a little girl? What's going on.
Speaker 1: It's also a very interesting moment from the perspective of Joel considering like where this story goes. You, I guess, because you know, I'm so familiar with the game, and you know, I've recently played the last of US two sequel that had come out like like a year and a half ago or something. I kind of expected it to be more of a moment that lands, and they really just kind of throw it away. It's almost like a nothing Like. Ellie shows up and it's.
Speaker 2: Almost like no reaction to it.
Speaker 1: He's no reaction to it. He doesn't give a shit. He's completely dead inside. And Marlene is like, Okay, here's the job. You take Ellie to a group of fireflies that are waiting at the state house. State House is in back Bay. They're currently like in the north End, so like basically across the city. Uh. And Ellie's like what, I'm not going Who the fuck?
Speaker 2: Who is this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What? What?
Speaker 3: Tests?
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, is not about to do jack fucking shit until she sees the guns. Do they exist? I thought you were taking me to see them. Where are they? And now they don't exist? And I have to do this thing and now you can't. So Marlene's like, yeah, I'll show you the guns tests there at the firefly base, but we can't all go there because it's too dangerous for Ellie to be on the streets. We will eventually find out why Ellie is so prized, but it's too dangerous a trip for her to make what we will go, You and I will go, and Joel you will stay with Ellie and watch over her. And Ellie's like and take her to the to the Fireflies. And Ellie's like that's crazy, Like she's I'm not.
Speaker 2: Going to How do you range job?
Speaker 1: How do you know these people? And then we find out how Tommy brother, Tommy, Joel's brother, Tommy, is apparently a former Firefly, his whereabouts currently unknown, and clearly he vouched for Joel once upon a time, and also very clearly his word and that vouching carried a lot of weight with Marlene considering again how how much hinges on Ellie surviving? And I had I wondered in this moment, like did Tommy tell Marlene about Sarah? Because why else would Marlene do this? Yes?
Speaker 2: I think they in this moment, there's so much tension and frustration and history in Tommy joining the Fireflies. You know, Joel is horrified that he joined this militia group. Well, he's upset, he feels rejected. He mentions it to Mollne. Molene and Tommy were obviously close enough that she TRIEDIM. I believe Tommy told her and I don't believe that Molline is coming into this with some like he had a daughter, he'll care. I think it is. She probably hopes that's the case, but I think it's a more cynical approach of well, I know his loss, so perhaps this is like something I can explain it, I can exploit it, and maybe he'll do something good for a change because of it. I think I think Tommy told Marlene right.
Speaker 1: I think he said something to the effect of, Hey, I know somebody who doesn't care whether he lives or dies and is a really badass person moving through this world, who I think would react in a deeply loyal and emotional way to this girl, Ellie. I think he said something like that to her. Ellie, of course, is unsure, and we can understand from the way she talks and the way she's responding now that she's not scared of anything in a way that I think because of her age, you are like, that's dangerous for you to not be scared of anything like But she's fierce and very wisely she you know, she would say like, I don't know this fucking guy, Who the fuck is this guy? You're gonna send me off alone? With this fucking guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But Tess is like, hey, Joel clearly is not wild about it either, Like I think he sees Ellie in this moment as like a weight.
Speaker 2: That would, yeah, but just around his neck. He doesn't need that, he doesn't need the emotional connection, he doesn't need a kid. It's I find it very interesting too, because when you think about the time jump, what you're talking about with Ellie is somebody who grew up only knowing this world.
Speaker 1: Only knowing this Yes, that's such a great point.
Speaker 2: I find that so interesting and I can't wait to see how they explore that in the show. But yeah, it's it's very intriguing, and neither of them are that interested. But of course the game goes where the game goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course Tess wants those fucking guns back. She needs him back and she wants to see him. So she's like, you, just, Joel, just fucking do it. Take her to the North Tunnel and wait for me. How hard could it be? And Joel and Ellie head off, and thus begins that part of the tale, which we will pick up at a later date. Incredible game, wonderful game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 1: Lot of great things to read if you want to read more about this game that were written in the time that it came out. I think of Tom Bissell's Truish grit on Grantland, which is a place that I used to write for. Here's a quote from that. I played through a chunk of The Last of Us in the company of a talented professional level designer. It was instructive. The game opens in a little girls room mind A level designer friend walked around the space, impressed first foremost by the convincingness of his character's sleepy head animation set. Then he began to point out art assets that seemed to him particularly well made that he said at one point is an amazing fucking bean bag. It's just, yeah, it's just an incredibly immersive game. The New Yorker wrote a really cool piece about whether The Last of Us can become really the first high quality video game adaptation in history, in either film or the television space. I guess, you know, I don't know how people feel about, you know, the fucking Assassin's Creed or some of these other adaptations stay out there.
Speaker 2: It's the cultural agreement that we have made, is that video game adaptations rarely live up to the video game.
Speaker 1: And I'm excited to cover the television show Rosie and to see how tightly or loosely it hues to the story and arc of the original game. I think you'll find some for those of you who end up reading the New York article, there's some cool tidbits in there about how Craig Mason, showrunner, kind of designed the shows episodes as kind of video game levels, where it's like you go to a place, you meet some characters, and then you go to another place in another episode, and you kind of leave those characters and places behind, fascinated to watch the show. I can't wait. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're in a really interesting place because this show currently has ninety seven percent on Rotten Tomatoes, damn, and that is reviews from everywhere, from IGN, you know, which gave it an almost perfect score, to like the Hollywood Reporter, all these different kinds of people who are enjoying this adaptation. I saw lots of kind of things that could have sounded hyperbolic, the idea that this is going to be the first smash hit of the year for HBO, but from people's responses, it really sounds like they've managed to capture something about the game that was so special while still making it accessible to people who haven't played it. So we could be getting this could be our first widely recognized prestige video game adaptation made in America. So I'm very excited and i can't wait to talk to you about it more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be continuing our coverage of the Last of Us, both the game and the show here on x ray Vision. And that's it for us this week. Rosie, anything to.
Speaker 2: Plug, plug, plug, plug plug plug, you can find me the usual places, Instagram, letterboxed. I'm Rosie Marx if you're interested in IM and the Waspontumania. I had a big modoc explainer go up on IgM which was so fun, and I put a little theory in there, kind of building more on what me and Jason were talking about today about Yellowjacket and his role in the movie. I've got some cool stuff coming out at other places primetimer nerdiced the usual spots Den of Geek. I have a big Den of Geek cover story coming out soon I can't talk about, but it will be out soon. I did some cool coverage of Willow the final episode is out today. That's a lot of fun. So yeah, just all good stuff. And I love all bad video game movies, so I've written quite extensively about many of them.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode of Extra Vision Wednesday, January eighteenth, because I remember, we're now dropping episodes two times a week. That's twice the Deep Dives Wednesday and Friday in your podcast feeds. Also, if any of you caught the Golden Globes, yes, that's right. The Golden Globes are back. They're not racist anymore, and they've solved all their problems. They are back, and you saw Kahi Kwan's heartfelt speech. And maybe you have or have not seen Everything Everywhere, All at Once. First point of order, watch Everything Everywhere, All at once if you haven't seen it, and then listen to our episode featuring an interview with the film's directors, the Daniels, because they are so creative and that movie is just really, really great.
Speaker 2: It's really incredible. Michelle yo one too. I'm hoping that this is going to continue through Awards season, and that was just such a delightful chat. I'm ready to see it. Angela Bassett one for Black Panther, so we get so some of our fabes have been an don't forget. Subscribe to the show on YouTube, follow xrvpod on Twitter where we are always retweeting cool stuff. Responding to your amazing tattoos. That was something cool that we got to do recently. And of course check out our discord to meet and hang out with a bunch of our rad listeners. We've got really great mods in there. It's just a ton of fun, and me and Jason are in there inactive too. Also. We love hearing your nerd outs. They're one of our favorite things. But we also know that you have a lot of great theories, so if you want to share them, nerd outs will now also be a place for you to share your theories favorite shows, movies, comic books, books, any theory you've got, send them to us. Send your tinfoiliest fan theories in a two minute or less voice memode to x Ray at crooked dot com and we will discuss the ones that really spark our imagination on the show.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't matter if it's a show that's not on the ear right now. Yeah, if it's at a season's House of the Dragon, we're passibly you know we're waiting. You could be anything that you want. If you very want to hear have we want to hear it. Five star reviews. We love them, we need them, we gotta have them. Leave us the five star reviews wherever you can leave reviews. Here's one from music My Refuge look forward to listening every Friday. Jason and Rosie are the best, super knowledgeable on all on things us nerds love, but they're able to talk about it in a fun, personable and inclusive way. Thank you, Thank you much, My Refuge. That is what we try to do and we'll see you next week. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Soul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy rhard Are Editing and sound designs by Vascillias Photopoulos. Dilon Villanueva and Matt de Group provide video production support. Alex Rella for handle social media. Thank you Brian Vesquez for a theme music, Goodbye Bye.