Speaker 1: So you have any big plans for the summer? Whoa, it's one more thing. I'm strong and getty, one more thing. So we've been talking about this for years. People that try to engage you in conversation, like the person ringing you up at the grocery store and you know, I'm buying some groceries. I'm buying a gallon of milk and some carrots. So what are your plans for tonight? And I realize are you gonna drink milk and eat carrots? That is exactly how I answer, usually because I'm a smart ass and annoyed by these questions and I am. I feel bad because it's not their fault. I don't think. I think many times you're told that that will make the customers feel more welcome or something. And like I said on the radio the other day, I wish there was some sort of stamp I could get or thing I could work around. My knackers says. I'm not one of those people. I don't feel more likely to come back if you engage me in conversation. I feel less likely to come back. It's not your fault.
Speaker 2: But although I do require the basics of polite society, because occasionally you'll be in a place a grocery store, maybe not so high end, or person's having a bad day and they don't even acknowledge your presence. They just start ringing stuff up. Did we talk about this on the air or not? About the person ringing me up who had the ear piece in? Did we talk about that on the air?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Yeah, I don't think so. I'm at a dollar store and because I agree, hey, how you doing good? How are you fine? Got to have that find everything? Okay, yep, that's fine. I have no problem with that whatsoever. The nothing is weird. And so I was checking out the Dollar Storm with my two boys and checking out, and I said, Hey, how's it going. She says nothing to me and rings me up, and I said, have a good day. She said nothing to me, and I walked down and I said that girl shouldn't be working there. If I owned that store, I'd be so freaking pissed off to know that I have somebody work in the register that doesn't even say hello. And he said that she had her earpiece in, she's listening to music. I said, called to that absolutely freaking firer. And he said that in. My son was like really taken aback by my response to that, Like, everybody has their ear piece in. It's okay, it's not a big deal. She's listening to music. And my son always has his earpiece in, I mean always, and I have to take it out. I want to talk to you. I want to be able to talk to you. I want to know when I talk to you you can hear me. I mean if we're riding in the car or whatever, and it's just part of that age group they have it in always with each other. Like if there's four dudes sitting around talking, they each have an ear piece in listen to music. I guess, wow. I don't know what that is, if it's just like a fashion thing, or if their brain actually desires it. But I thought, when I'm dead, and it won't be long I'm in the winter of my life, the next generation they'll all have ear pieces in and they won't expect any communication whatsoever because they're all listening to music or a podcast. And so I guess you'll go through this stort checkout and nobody will talk to each other. You know, you ride together in a car somewhere, nobody says a word to each other. Because you're all listening to your own stuff in your head. It's just gonna happen. There's no stopping it. But it makes me nuts. But I didn't realize it'd gotten that bad. Oh yeah, yeah, he couldn't believe that it bothered me that she had an ear piece in and didn't respond to me, because that's the way his generation does it. Yeah, it's shocking to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know well, and it's resulted in so much unmistakable misery and isolation. I just if I'm casting my bets for who's in charge of the world in two hundred years, it's the young and hungry and backward civilizations right now, although they may well as soon as they get hold of the technology and the food. I mean that every every country that goes from like eleven cents per capita for GDP to like over a dollar fifty, they immediately become obese and they adopt all of the modern stuff that's killing us. I just think we've invented our own doom. We've invented too many pleasures to resist. No country for old men, right, but back to like people that aren't teenagers where you expect some sort of normal give and take with the cashier or the dental hygh genius came up the other day, Katie brought up she hates it when they ask her questions when they got their hands in your mouth, because you can't answer. Anyway, Katie's not here today because she's sick, but we got this text about that because we were wondering. I'm sure the dental high genius is told to make conversation. It makes the patience feel more comfortable or something like it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It helps distract them from things that bother you are scary or whatever. Sir, longtime listener, this person text lived in San Francisco for twenty years. I now live in Manhattan. Okay, wow, one of those people that there are only really a couple places you can live in America Los Angeles, New York, maybe San Francisco or Chicago, but those are your only options. I know a number of people like that. The only places they've lived are those very big cities. But anyway, as a long time dental hygienist, employers do not tell you to engage in conversation with the patients. Some patients absolutely want us to talk and tell them stories to take their time off the process or their mind off the process. Yeah, and a good one will get a sense from the patient whether they want to talk or be quiet, which I do appreciate that you picked up on my hateful, hateful, murderous vibe that I don't want to talk. I appreciate that. It is perfect perfectly polite to tell us how you want to experience the appointment. It's your money, your time, so tell them, please talk me through this, help distract me, or say I'd prefer to sit here and just think and stare at the ceiling or listen to a podcast or something. You don't need to talk to me. That's not a bad idea. Just tell them ahead of time. I'm not a person that wants to talk. I don't feel like you have to. I don't know. Has that come off as being a dick.
Speaker 2: M I would guess among the folks that have bothered me. And when I say bothered me, it's fine, it's really fine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a yeah, first world problems. I mean seriously, yeah. Yeah. In the list of things that actually bother me, that's way way way down.
Speaker 2: But the gal who I've worked with at times in the past. I'll just say that dental hygienist. I could write a fairly brief but reasonably complete biography of this one, and that is.
Speaker 1: Her Boswell to her Johnson, you you could write a biography of her, having just followed her around.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, And I just there's no need for that.
Speaker 1: Uh but yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 2: I just I'm not going to put on they my old dentist, and I've I've been very fortunate to have had two dentists in the last thirty years. They've both been fantastic. My old dentists.
Speaker 1: I haven't twenty years, so we have that in common. Wow.
Speaker 2: But they would give you headphones, but I would always just wear one because they have to communicate with you. Can you till your head a little toward me great or you know whatever, open a little less.
Speaker 1: That's to help them do their thing.
Speaker 2: And so I've never been comfortable with and maybe it's my generation with being in communicato.
Speaker 1: No, I don't like you're gonna have to communicate with it. You know. The one that I hate the most, and this is a different topic, but the one I hate the most blood draws, and I even if I first of all, yeah, don't talk about it, and then even if I tell them not to talk about it, most of the time they do. Look, just I'm fine with this will be okay, just I don't want to don't talk about it at all. Let's not talk about it. Still, I'm gonna get a ooh, you got some juicy veins. This will be easy. Or having trouble finding your veins is gonna be hard to get the needle into your veins because I need you to clench your Yeah, stop talking about it. It's all right. I don't want to hear a word about it. Let me just sit down, look at the wall, pretend something else going on. You jabbed me. I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Some people, and this covers every occupation known to mankind, be they a humble street sweeper or a skilled brain surgeon something in between. In every profession, Jack, there are dumbasses or people who are so emotionally not intelligent they can't take an effing hint and see it from your perspective.
Speaker 1: And it's annoying with me, but really annoying with my son, who every time but once is thrown up when he gets a blood dry and gets so anxious and nervous and out of control and everything like that, and we have multiple adults have to hold them down. I mean, it's a horrific experience every time we get there. But I go in there ahead of time and say, let's just not talk about it at all. He really struggles with this. I say what I just said and everything like that, And almost all the time they say, the needle's not that big seat here, look at the needle. It's not gonna no, no, you effing moron, How do you not get this? Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow, I don't think there's anything you can do for a person like that.
Speaker 1: Here, I'm gonna got me the needle. How do you like it? Here?
Speaker 2: You're so probably not now, But next podcast, I will tell you this. Next One More Thing podcast, the discussion of your Disposable Dog THEORYDT will not die and and the the responses and thoughts and philosophizings are not getting less interesting, they're getting more interest.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: So when we're turned to Jack's brutal and hateful dispatch of innocent dogs and probably cats uh at a.
Speaker 1: Future date, So more psychopathy on the next One More Thing. You know what my next dental appointment. I'm gonna look at the hygiendas and say, if you don't mind while you clean my teeth, tell me about the Cuban missile crisis. Just give them a topic. I'm gonna gi him a topic. Yeah, well, I guess that's at