Speaker 1: What is it like to learn an NFL playbook? What's it like to learn an NFL playbook? Well, it's it's your back. When I came in, they give you the three inch binder. It was actually a binder back then, three inch binder, which is the big boy or what is that right?
Speaker 2: And uh, three inches is huge, Yeah, And so they would give you that and there'd be a table of contents.
Speaker 1: There'd be I mean, it was laid out professional. This is this was the pros, you know, and you had like at the top you had special teams slots, then you had the offense install slots, and then when you get into offense install slots, that would break down to you know, a whole bunch of things from formations, personnel groups, splits, informations. They would have protections, they'd have all the site adjustment rules. It have all the hot adjustment rules, it have everything. Everything was broken down fundamentally on there on like you could find it in the in the playbook. Now it's it's transferred now to the iPad, which it's probably way cleaner and way awesome. And I remember we did that later in my career for the younger guys that were coming in. But I mean it's just a it's literally like the encyclopedia of everything that the offense is about. I mean it goes you have we have an example up right here that's exactly how it looks. It'll have the basic and then it'll have like the defensive line. Uh, they'll have like how each play goes against each line. It'll break down each coverage, it'll break down everything that the defense defense does, so you can commute like what did Gruden say, recognition, communicate execution RCEE yep, So you have to recognize what's going on after you learned your formation, personnel, group, split, potential motion, potential shift, like all those things. That's in the beginning, and then it goes into how things change against the defense. I mean, it's a it's a it's a literally it has every single bit of information that the coach will explain to you. And it's much like the textbooks when we were kids, where you could read that and if you could do that, it'd be great. But I was always a guy that would, you know, I had to study it. I would look at it while we were installing it, while the coach was addressing the classroom, you know, you would go through your playbook and you would kind of highlight and then for me, a lot of guys, for like guys like me, receivers, the receivers always. I was a guy that used flashcards for personnel groups because there's like sixty different personnel groups. So you know, on Rangers, that's what is said before the play that tells everyone who they are Rangers. The personnel group. Our Rangers an eleven or eleven personnel group were example, Danny goes to the F, I go to the z. Lafel's on the X, and Gronks at the Y. So there's three receivers one tight end, and then whoever is in the backfield is in the backfield. Then you would have regular. Regular was twelve, So then regular puts me at z Lafel at X, and then there'd be two tight ends that would come in so you'd have to.
Speaker 3: Go over that.
Speaker 1: So I would always flashcard personnel groups and formations because if you fuck that up, you weren't getting a rep.
Speaker 4: How often are you shifting between these like so when do you find out that you're like the Z and ranger.
Speaker 1: Or that's how often I find that out through the coaches like weekly weekly. So if they'll give you a group of personnel groups that we're gonna highlight this week, we're gonna use these six. These six personnel groups Rangers, sub sub half and uh another one regular no regulars two. Those are all eleven personnel grips. So these are all these could be the same. This is there's three receivers, one tight end to and one running back like regular, sub half, Rangers, Army Marines. Those those tell like every guy which spot they have to go into. So you could make a play for a guy. Instead of changing the whole concept, you could just change the personnel group. So if you're trying to get what's this, you're trying to get Danny at the F. Instead of putting him at the F, you just changed the personnel group and say, now Danny goes.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Right? That makes sense? Tag it from there, Tag it from there.
Speaker 1: You would never tag you just say rangers, okay, and that would put That would tell everyone where we all go. I'm at F, I'm at Z, he's at Z, he's at X, all right, and half I'm at I'm at F, he's at Z. Half again, I'm at f but maybe half in sub everyone's in the same spot, but the tight ends change.
Speaker 3: There's a new tight end in you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So the personnel groups are fucking They were a bitch to learn. And then there's a formations, so then the formations. They would break it down. All right, guys, we'll have these eight formations and these personnel groups, and then we could have these seven empties and empties were you know, whenever you know the quarterback is empty and there's five guys on the line of scrimmage, five receivers, and so like you'd have to learn were what each formation was because you'd have to put the F in here, the X goes outside, like if you're an empty, And it was just a whole lot of studying. And so once you got those down, then you'd have to learn defenses because when you things could change or you know, then you learn your concepts. So you go personnel groups, formations, and then you learn concepts. There was concepts that were two man concepts. Then there was three man concepts. So like read read was an incut from by one and number two has an option route to the outside, and so conceptually you were trying to high low this backer. So that's read now a three man concept or ICE is another one. Ice was where this guy has an incut and this guy has a cross route. So that you'd learn those two man's and there would be three man concepts, and so you're basically learning how you're building in your mind, how the quarterback calls the play. So first thing you're gonna hear is personnel group. Then you're gonna hear formation, and you got to learn your protections because after your formations and concepts, you got to learn the protections because the protections could it could change your route if you are a sight adjusting or if you're depending on if you can get it protected. The receivers would have to know because if it's only a five man protection, there could be a hot and a side adjustment if you're an empty So you'd have to see where the mic point is and communicate with the quarterback. The quarterback was set, he would set the protection. You go, Mike fifty two, which is the front side backer, or here you go, check easy, check easy, We're gonna mic fifty four. He'd change the protection and he would look at me and he'd say jewels. So that makes him the mic. He's the mic, he's the will or the will because or the Sam. And then the next guy would be a different slot, the jack, you know, to jack. And so then he would look at me and say these two if those two guys came, If he said two, then I'd have to break my side adjustment. Now if he looked at me, Tom could look at me and he could say, hey, Jules, if he did that, that means one or the other. If any one of those guys come, you gotta break all right. But if he said to it, you got to go when the two guys come. And sometimes they would come and one guy would jack out, so you'd have to get en route, all right. And then so another one he could look at you and he could sit there and you see your guy on your face coming. But Tom paulus change protection all the way over he over here, so he'd make that guy the mic who's on over me, the star or whatever, and he would sit there and go, Jeles, you're locked. So if he regardless no matter what, whoever came, you're locked on the route. So that's when you'd have to study your protections. So you go Personnel group formations, concepts, protections, and that's kind of then you'd break into how defense was was involved.
Speaker 5: So if you're locked on the route, that means no matter what it's the play called route is drawn.
Speaker 4: Up, okay, messaged sight adjustment. What explained, The.
Speaker 1: Hot is to the strong side, So when the Sam and Mike and Sam come, that's a hot the sight adjustments to the weak side. So it'd be like a Will and a week safety. So like if this guy, so you have your Mike Sam Will, right, you always see the quarterback making the point. So what what he can do is though he could change. Well we always think that this guy is the MIC, right because he's near the tight end the strong side of the passing strength. Well, he could change and make that guy the MIC, So then it would make him the MIC. The guy to the right of him who is the star would be the Sam, meaning that the lion can get a Protec. And then this guy who we think is that it looks like the MIC is now the will. Okay, so the line could take care of the Mic, Will and Sam. You know, that's when other guys get involved. That's when that's when side adjustments and hot hots get involved.
Speaker 4: So inside adjustment is like a to the weak side. It's to the weak side. It's a changing the route based off of the changing the route.
Speaker 1: A hot and a side adjust could be the same kind of thing for the receiver, but it's just telling which side they go. So if it's it's to the passing strength, that's a hot. If it's the passing So if so, if I'm sitting here right and we got we make him the mic, he's the SAM. So he whoever comes off here, you're hot.
Speaker 3: So you're going to fill that space where they were.
Speaker 1: Depending on what the hot is, it could be a it could be a burst. You have to like a five yard hitch full speed. You can't lollygag it because then they sniff that and then they'll break. So you got to come off the ball hard every time. That was like the number one pot coaching point to any kind of side adjustment or hot, you gotta come off because defense is fucking smart. You know they'll sniff that bullshit out if you come lollygagging off and then they break and it's a pick six because they got a guy coming to that area. But if you're sprinting, that guy doesn't know where you're going, so he'll he would be all scared and he'll be less hesit or less aggressive to break. So getting back strength is hot, so to our strong side. Right, So this guy, we make him the mic. Anyone come off that, Sam, you're hot. Anyone coming off the will you're sighting and then you just have to read if they're coming well, yeah, we have to. But the quarterback in our system, we had Tom Brady, so he was the ultimate reminder and he when he was dishing out his protections and getting stuff, he would tell you, and the good quarterbacks do that. If you look like Peyton Manning and all those boys, they would sit there all right, I'm locking you.
Speaker 4: I'm locking you.
Speaker 1: Because he changed the protection and it's it's it's a fact. The protections are the most fascinating things. That's why offensive linemen like they have. Not only do they have to be choreographed in such a great manner together as one like they're dancing, but they have to be able to see shit body.
Speaker 3: Language of the guys.
Speaker 1: They got to be able to break down the defensive fronts because things change. The protections change if there's a three down or a four down, like that that's when we got to start, you know what I mean. But that's more of the defensive offensive line. You really only needed to know the backers. Now, if it's a run play, are you a part of the protection call too.
Speaker 4: Or how does that? How does that work?
Speaker 3: So run play?
Speaker 1: On certain run plays, uh, depending on the mic call, you would always have like the six man in the box, right, so the sixth man on the box or is it the seventh Either be the strong the strong safety coming down or the star or it would be that corner if that, if that, if one of the safeties dropped into the box, you'd be responsible if it was a six or seventh.
Speaker 3: Scott Chattio is gonna kill me.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 1: But a lot of the times if the court on certain plays run plays, the quarterback would lock you on your guy over your face because they have a line. Like on a trap play or something. You wouldn't come down to get the force because we're having alignment coming and pull to get him or the lion is adjusting up to that guy. You know, you'd always for the most part of most of the time for receivers, they're blocking skill guys. Safety's corners. Now, when you see the guys the on the bunches, the receivers on the bunch. A lot of times you're seeing with like the Lions San Francisco, they'll have have their receiver Saint Brown.
Speaker 3: He'll he'll set the edge and he'll take out.
Speaker 1: Of the end and then they'll pull the tackle in the in the guard on those toss traps. But like that's those are like one off plays and they'd have to be condensed down. You're not really going in and getting linebackers because that's usually for for the line. There are certain occasions where like in Seattle, the Seattle Super Bowl, on the back side of this, I forgot the run play, but there was a backside play where I would go up and I I I would the linebacker would be in my face and I would go up and go to the safety like and you could fully get them. But then there'd be times where they could lock you and you'd have to just get If you're on the back side, you have to get in his way and get in his way to cut them off for the front side of the run. But most of the time you're playing, you're you're going against the smaller guys, unless it's one of those specialty plays the playbook. I mean this everything for the offensive line and you have everyone's.
Speaker 3: Uh, you have all of it.
Speaker 1: So you could go through the offensive line part and see, you know, the shades because like they have a bunch of stuff on like on you know they divide the guy one, two, three, Uh what shades they are and you could learn all that you know. The I mean it's it's it's like an encyclopedia of everything fundamentally they have in your playbook. They have a whole section on just your the cadence and the snap counts. Wow, you know what I mean, the going on two, going on three color this color that you know gold calls or uh, you know to change plays. There's an audible section how you every way to communicate anything it was in the playbook.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 5: You know what if you got say how much was getting added or like say you install play from week six that.
Speaker 3: Those are all the fundamentals. Now once you get in this is.
Speaker 1: This is all training camp right right, and there's a lot of is a test to see who can retain what and you won't even have to get if you listen to the coaches, you You're not just gonna sit there and be a guy that I mean, they're smart guys that will sit there and read the playbook and they can digest it. But if you go along with the coaching, you know, that'll that'll help you. The month you're paying attention to class, you don't have to go do homework. Yeah, well, it's good to reference it, you know what I mean, It's just like school. It's fucking just like school. There's some guys that can sit there and read the formations and do it. I mean I had to put them on flash cards and concepts and me and Hoyer would sit and bounce them off of each other. Because you know, when you're young football player, a lot of the a lot of the evaluation of you is how much you can retain how much can you take from the classroom to the drills to the team periods. They that's like that's the huge, like one of the biggest evaluation processes of these young football players because once you get to the reg to get to your point, once you get to the regular season, okay, you that's all fundamental. Now, new plays, game plan plays come in and so you're gonna have to be able to install a ten to fifteen new plays each week, potentially on what that team's weaknesses are.
Speaker 3: Are those getting sheets to go into the playbook?
Speaker 1: Those are yeah, so each week on a Wednesday, so you have your big ass book and then when you come in then you get back in the day, they would give you sheets just like those sheets, and you'd have all your your past concepts on there, all your run concepts, the install for that week's prep. And so some of it could carry over to some of the stuff that we already learned in training camp and in the install, but some of it can be completely new and completely different. But if you lean on your fundamentals of what you've learned in training camp, you'd be able to communicate and understand it because it'll still be this. It could be the same, it'll be the same language, but it could be a different concept or a different protection or a different personnel group that's incorporated into it. So it's just like fit finding out the puzzle. So to simplify the playbook, the organization of it. If you've mentioned personnel, you mentioned formation, protection concepts, concepts, you'd have snap counts, snap counts. That's usually at the beginning you'd have splits for receivers. What is that splits are so in certain formations of certain plays and certain concepts. So like on a say ice, if you're the outside receiver, which ice is an incut and a crosser, If you're the outside receiver on ice, you have to have a plus four split from the number yards. Yes, then there was also a plus two split on certain concepts. Then there was sometimes there was a minus two split. So and then when you get into like certain formation buzzwords like nasty, nasty tells everyone that you're condensed. So then you'd have those in the playbook on buzzwords for uh buzzwords for formation splitting, you'd have Then you'd have a whole section on movement. So movement is shifts and motions. So for us, if you heard if there, if the suffix was I n G ing, then you're coming in. If the suffolx was a p app, you're coming across. So so if you're the F and you hear fing, you're just coming in for a pass play.
Speaker 4: If you're because it's thing is f I n G, that guy is going in.
Speaker 1: So if you hear zing, the Z is coming in ying the.
Speaker 3: Other you're going the other because it's AP right.
Speaker 1: FAP, it would be across for a block of blocking for a like a run play FAP. If it's fact a C then then then you're going across for a pass play or something. Then there was z U, z U, zig, I G. You hear a lot of that with the slot that's going into the guard and back out, So that's a formation indicator. You're seeing what kind of coverage you can get. Then there would be the Y shift. All that's telling you is when you hear a you're you're your letter and shift. You're starting on another the other side and you're shifting over and we're resetting the play to that.
Speaker 4: You know you're here.
Speaker 1: H home that's just telling the home is one of those buzzwords for a shift for the H home. He's coming from all the way outside the receiver back into the home spot. So there'd be a whole freaking table of content or what is it a chapter on that, Yeah, you know, so, I mean it goes into everything.
Speaker 4: Then you have just beyond that. I want to hear all the different segments.
Speaker 1: There was fing fact, there is h fing fact fat uh zig or zig. There was z shift. Then there was h home you could use all the other letters for that you have and I'm probably missing one. Yeah, that's you'd have there, and there was probably a couple others. Then there was a there would be what was this, There was a fast one, like a fast motion. We started doing that. So let's bet Mike McDaniel with like McDaniel, there there'd be the fast it's like a rabbit zing or there. There's there are certain buzzwords for that. If I heard it, I would I'd be able to do it.
Speaker 4: What other like chapters outside of like movements, so we got personal formation protection concepts, snapcount splits, movements.
Speaker 3: Movements, and motions.
Speaker 4: Motions, So there is like it's a misnomer that there's actual plays in the playbooks rather than you go concepts and then concepts, then concepts and routes.
Speaker 1: So then you'd have you'd have every single route, you know, like a go route, a in cut. Then there's there was the fourteen yard incut, the twelve yard incut, the twenty yard in cut. There was you know, there was the stopper route, which is a twenty five yard like comeback but you break you open in and come back down the line. There was a comeback at sixteen, There was a comeback at fourteen. There is a ten yard out, there was a five yard out, or you know, six to twelve you usually uh, you know, you have your slot routes, which were you know, then there's tosser to two slants. There's hook, which is a three man concept. The three has the hook, the two has the diagonal with something that you always see. And the guy has an m R which is must outside release, go on the outside there. I mean, we're going off to just the knowledge of my brain, and you know, a lot.
Speaker 5: Of knowledge, baby, I mean, how see, I'm always curious going back to a lot of these.
Speaker 3: Like some of these oftens don't don't id the mic is crazy to me.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of them do. It's just who depending on who's identifying the mic, it's either sometimes it's the center and a lot of systems, right, like a lot of the younger quarterbacks in the West Coast systems from what I've been told, right what I heard, the center makes the call.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: But then and then you hear some of these ones where like I mean, of course the Patriots or the outlier here and what you know more than anybody, But like how simplistic are some of these offens? Like you know what I mean, you hear some of these where like a guy comes from like a really simple system, and it's like, how different is that from like the most simple NFL on to.
Speaker 3: Like the Patriots.
Speaker 1: I would say simpler offenses are just offenses that don't try to get into the right play and call a play and run that play and there's no there's no adapt to adaptation to that play according to what the defense is doing, which do exist.
Speaker 5: In their twenty twenty six in the NFL, which do exist. Okay, that's crazy, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, isn't that the whole thing with the Patriots offense?
Speaker 1: But sometimes when you got guys, so that that's the fine line, right when you got guys, what you what a coach's job is to do is to make the player play as fast as you can. And sometimes when you flood the guy's minds with too much, then they're thinking they're not going to be able to totally. So you know, it's harder to get a lot of these complex advantages and complexities of change during play, during pre snap, during post snap, because a lot you know, then a lot of guys got to be on the same page at the same time, and sometimes a lot of teams don't have the luxury of that guy gets hurt, young guys on offense, young quarterback can't.
Speaker 3: Get it all like that. That that's very hard to do, right, So personnel is going to dictate so much of that personnel dictates what you can do. That makes subtal sense.
Speaker 4: Was there a specific player concept when you first started? That just fried your brain? It just couldn't. It was the hardest one to grasp.
Speaker 1: They used to have this thing called the wiggle route, and I used to hate it, and West was really good at it. The wiggle route was like in a West Coast system. It's called like the basic. The basic is they do like, but it was different than the basic. The basic is like a twelve yard incut. It's usually the slot guy runs a twelve yard speed incut and he goes well. The wiggle route was kind of like that ten to twelve yard incut, and you could but a verse man. You had to break it down and give him something at the top and break flat to downhill if it was one man. If it was cover five, which is two man. You could run the endcut, but if he was walling you off, you could pull it out all right. And then if it was zone and it was to Tampa, you would find the zone. So there was like three different things, and I always struggled on like the Cover five one. I don't know because I always wanted to whip it out, but if you could win in, you could keep it going. And there's a lot of indecision and that's the worst thing for a quarterback.
Speaker 3: To see in a route, So you you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So you had three, and you know it took me time to like figure out how to do it.
Speaker 3: So the wiggle route, oh wiggle.
Speaker 1: And then there was like the Q route, which was kind of like the outside version, which the old Q was.
Speaker 3: If it was rolled rolled meaning covered two.
Speaker 1: You had this guy was letting you go, and there's a half field safety you run, you know, you run the bow route where you get inside, you reset your your vertical stem to about fourteen, and then you hit a high seven and let the quarterback flatten you in between the half field safety and the the flat zone defender right versus Cover three. It was like a I think it was like a curral route and then if it was man. If it was man, you uh press, you had to get inside and then you'd run and then you'd hit like an inside stutter where you could take it.
Speaker 3: It's almost like a post corner.
Speaker 1: It was just it was the same kind of three routes with in one route according to coverage. And it was before like I was comfortable reading coverage post now. I mean I was always actually pretty good at reading coverage. It was just the running of the route from me and and being able to make them all look the same and not dictating because like these dbs man that they're they know.
Speaker 3: They're bullshit readers, but they could read it. Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They could feel if you're if you're hesitating at something, they feel it and they break and they make the plays.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're extraordinary athletes.
Speaker 4: Was there a moment where you feel like it clicked or like when you felt like I can actually use my physicality versus my like became instinct versus like thinking through it.
Speaker 1: I mean I would say after like my third my third my third year, like it was just clicking in spurts kind of like my golf.
Speaker 3: Game, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And then by by the year three, you know, I had enough, I had enough reps of actual feeling it in practice. Uh, you know, doing it an offseason with Tom the you know, the amount of reps that I had at that point helped me because I felt every situation at that point, you.
Speaker 3: Weren't topping the ball or slicing that thing in the wood. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I got one last question this year anything.
Speaker 5: I think to Kyler's last question, the quick follow, but like, at what point not only were you grasping that thing? Were you and Tom like mind melded like full his brain's my brain, Like we're seeing the.
Speaker 3: Field the exact till like probably year five.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's never figured some war or five when Welker left right with.
Speaker 4: Those extra first team route.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that and it was you know, he had to start trusting me. It's hard for those guys to you know, when when when you have a guy, when you're a quarterback, you know, in regardless water flows downhill, water flows downhill.
Speaker 5: One other one guy, I swear I was trying to look this up over here. I swear I remember maybe on my mind's playing tricks on me. I swear someone on the Patriots left their playbook at the hotel on the road in like a preseason game against.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna ask what penalty that could be? Conduct detrimental? That could be like a thirty five thousand.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, because you bring on the road with you, right, oh yeah, and but that thing.
Speaker 1: But when you're in, when you're like now with the iPads and stuff, when do they switch to the iPad? I want to say, like my fourth year okay, so oh wow, yeah, third fourth year micro soft surface.
Speaker 3: But the thing is.
Speaker 1: With the iPads, they have more power the team. So they would collect iPad like during camp and ship. They would collect the iPads after games or during games, you know what I mean. They would collect there would be a fucking big ass like home thing and you'd have to go and turn your iPad, and you know, there'd be a coach coming to a you don't you turn your iPad?
Speaker 4: And they can update stuff better update or they could just wipe you. They can also keep track of how much you're using.
Speaker 1: They keep track of how much you're using. Can you go to like websites and stuff on it or no? No, it's pretty long. I mean, my boy Jared had my ship, I.
Speaker 3: Had my.
Speaker 1: Jahout out angry birds on there. No, No, I just you know what what jail broke was me being able to look at the news there like the fact that I can.
Speaker 3: Look at the news. We couldn't even get on Google. You'd be there getting on news and like oh shit, hell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get to see some articles just reading keeping up with the world.
Speaker 3: Baby, that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: And one last question, So you were quarterback in college do you? And then so now though the playbook with the iPads, it's so awesome because you could go through all your thing and then you could see it and you could press a button and see an example of the play.
Speaker 3: Against the footage.
Speaker 4: That's cool. So yeah, it's a little bit more of like a multi media experience.
Speaker 3: It's insane now you have it all on your iPad.
Speaker 4: So you were a quarterback in college, do you remember, like remember a specifically complicated play from your time in case?
Speaker 1: No, I've been trying to do that and I remember, like I don't remember the play calling, but it was a West Coast so there was like eighty four i'd have a protection or seventy three or i'd have a sixties or sixties, seventies and eighties eighties were like I was fully protected and there'd be some like kind of get open, why shallow look. It was like a West Coast spread. I've really I gotta I gotta call up old Dougie Fresh. Should get him on the show, Doug Martin, I should shout out, we should.
Speaker 3: I think he's at Elon right now.
Speaker 5: Let's go, baby, Let's make a trip down. Let's go over to Burlington, North Caroline.
Speaker 3: His wife's she she used to kill it in the real estate world.
Speaker 5: Oh killing it. He's probably running Burlington right now. Probably, I love it.
Speaker 1: You don't remember like a play call, like you, I just remember. I remember the concept. I remember my favorite concept was poker. I don't remember like because dude, after here and all, it just get gets wiped because I've heard and then I remember doing that. But like because early in my my uh, early in my career, the protections were messing with me. Because seventies we used to have a thing called scat protection where it's five man protection only, and that was the same as like you're your your seventies protection. So like I had a lot of that or eighties was the same as my sixties in college.
Speaker 3: So then I kind of wipe it. Yeah, you know what I mean, You give us a quick.
Speaker 5: John Gruden esque Blake call. I don't really from the Patriots.
Speaker 1: From the Patriots. You could go like sub home home to fing home home.
Speaker 3: It could be home f right.
Speaker 1: Fing right one thirty four, f bow ice, alert ride one thirty or alert thirty four gap or or something, or you could there. The thing is, it gets wordy when you would get like two or three play calls. So all you got to do is say two fucking plays it's alert and so and the root. By the time you're in it, you can just when I hear the play call, when Tom would say I heard, I would hear the protection, I'd hear the concept, and then there'd be a couple of buzzwords. You know you're sitting you know you're sitting in the huddle all year. All right, all right, fingerl right, I got a thing, right, you know what I mean. No, that's when you're like and how to say the play would be in the playbook, you know what I mean? Like right there home, what I say, I told you the h started out home to f right, So wherever he is, he's we got to get to F right, which is the formation, and then fing telling me to fing in ride one thirty four, which is the protection play action f bow ice alert ride one thirty or alert thirty four alerting to just the run if it was two safeties. You know, I mean, I'm not a fucking I was never like a I mean you know, I was never like you hear all these backup quarterbacks like Dog and or Lawski, like those guys they could recite their whole thing because they were communicating it, you know what I mean. When and I remember that struggle from when I turned to quarterback to receiver. Hearing a play was different than saying the play. Like it took me a while to learn how to hear the play and know what to do then when I used to when you say the play, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Oh, for sure it is.
Speaker 1: It's so stupid for me, But I mean the backup quarterbacks they were always like they had to know everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're getting mental reps like crazy.
Speaker 3: They're getting mental reps. Slant with a clipboard your hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, and once you get out. I mean, if I were to go back for Like, that's why I love going back. You know, you go to the Patriots, you can go to their meeting like they let me come and sit in on their meetings, or Abel let me sit in or whoever whoever the coaches were at the time. They've gotten to sit in on all of them. That's when it refreshes, you know what I mean, It's all okay, now they're doing this, you know, and Josh getting to sit in Josh meetings McDaniels. You know, I could a lot. You could see where the play callings evolved because now that they're making them less worthy and they're having buzz words tell like a lot of guys what to do. So there it could be like only three words, but those three words could be protection.
Speaker 3: Concept evolutions got to be crazy. Yeah, And then.
Speaker 1: We'd have like a NASCAR package in the playbook where it would be that or one one word would tell just everything. So that would be a lot of the things. When we were installing, like weekly, the coaches would say, you know, all right, we're going to do these four NASCAR plays and they'd break them in. We'd only do it for like those three days or two days and then they they would say, all right, we're atting four more NASCAR plays, so they'd expect you to you have to already know those ones. And so you're at eight by the week, you know, day five, and then after day seven they'd give you four more NASCAR plays. So you're building your book. You're building you know that. That's how they would install it, you know.
Speaker 4: So just for the audience, NASCAR is like a hurry up.
Speaker 1: NASCAR would be no huddle, and then the play calls like one word and you have to know one word everyone. What's a like? Jordan was like a jan isn't Barkley one too? Barkley was h it was Barkley. Barkley was Charlie Sheen. So the Charlie Charlie program was a certain protection. So we we had Charlie Sheen, We had Charles Barkley, I love it, Yeah, which was stopper, you know, on the outside. He was the best stopper of all time. We have Jordan. We had Alli, which was those were our like go tos that we could always run. It was a fundamental play. It was empty right uh or Bonzi right, haas z Juke, which is you know, haas and then the Z has a juke route. Jordan would be to the right, Allie would be the same play on the left. You know, you'd have Jordan, and then there'd be like, uh man, I'm gonna get exposed for not knowing my play.
Speaker 4: And like this is like you guys were lining up or like you're going from your running.
Speaker 1: Up Jordan Jordan, Jordan, here Tommy tom Like Jordan Jordan, Nascar, Nascar Jordan.
Speaker 3: Everyone get the line of scrimmage. Everyone know what to do.
Speaker 4: So like someone like Ray Lewis that might have a lot of experience against you, guys might have some film, might have some tape on like some of these Nascar plays could Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if you're going fast, they can know what you're doing. You still got to execute, still got to execute.
Speaker 3: That was my thing.
Speaker 1: You could go Jordan, he could go Jordan Jordan, and we'd all set up in Bonzi and then he could sit out there and look at us and give us hook. He could and we all have to and if he goes like that, then it changed all three of us what to do. There was nonverbal coms or you can go say. What you could do is we call a play in the huddle, and you can go xerox, xerox, xerox and xerox meant same exact, same exact formation. And there was no play making copies, and so you're making copies and you could sit there and there'd be no places, and then all of a sudden he would get us into a play based off of how they line up. That was called the molasses that would be in the pre pre there would be a pre snap, a pre snap menu which motions and all that cadence molasses was. There was no play call momo. So he could sit there, all right, it's on MO, it's on MO. You had you had to hear gold, gold color or like the buzz color for the play to be in. So he could sit up there, and this is how you try to get the defense, you know, kind of show what they were doing there, White twenty, why twenty hot, hot, hurt heart like eighty eight by eight. So sometimes and then you go gold thirty gold tells everyone plays on go.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: So even on those like hard costs, there might not even be a play call.
Speaker 1: It's just let's see what you got, let's see what you We're just trying to get a tell out of the defense that happening again, I mean, depending on the defense you were playing, who's a disguised defense man?
Speaker 3: If John Gruden just heard you do that, oh the hair on the back of the stand?
Speaker 1: Why put how I.
Speaker 4: Mean call, they wouldn't know. But how often do you think like McDaniels is in Brady's ears.
Speaker 1: In there until fifteen seconds? So you do that a lot of the NASCAR. So that's why that's it. That's so you when you when you gotta say you have a really good defensive line. And what NASCAR would do is NASCAR if you you could run out of sub which is three receivers, or you could run it out of regular, but that's hard because then you got guys going in different spots. Right, So when you have a good defensive line, fast guys, NASCAR, what it does is it doesn't allow them to substitute, which is huge.
Speaker 3: So and you can go fast.
Speaker 1: And so if you get to the line of scrimmage, you get to the line of scrimmage with the most time as you possibly can, then Tom and Josh can communicate until fifteen So as soon as the other play's done, the forty clock starts.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of time to talk.
Speaker 1: Forty clock starts right, So if you're done, say it's a long play downfield, then everyone gets to the line of scrimmage. You got you use your NASCAR term. All right, we're going Jordan, all right, we're going with Charles Barkley, Charles Barkley. Everyone gets into Charles Barkley. You're there with twenty eight seconds. You got fourteen seconds if you got there in ten seconds, or twelve seconds. If you get everyone gets the line scrimmage by fifteen seconds, you got ten twelve seconds to communicate with Josh. So then they could sit there. Tom can't talk to him, but he can hear them, you know. So then then we used to do like muddle huddles. Muddle huddle is kind of like a fast huddle where we're not getting back to the huddle. We're kind of getting back and we're getting near the line of scrimmage and we're yelling out NASCAR terms, but it's not Nascar. Nascar means we're going fast. Yeah, so muddle huddle is different than NASCAR. That would be in the pre pre it's so it'd be so crazy. The gold turn you have, like the buzz terms and Black eighty eight.
Speaker 3: Black eighty eight would be on three full masterclass.
Speaker 4: Right now, you're saying the kids that Phillips and over with Earnie.
Speaker 3: Your fucked no good coaches. They know to simplify.
Speaker 1: Good coaches simplify, And a lot of the evaluation of training camp is to try to get guys to be anxious about how much there is, to see how much they can they can handle and see that hey, you don't have to know all this where if you listen to the coaching staff that you know, this is what we're gonna go over learn those you know what I mean. It's all part of everything, the evaluation process of how you're building your team.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 5: But like to go back to what we said earlier, it's all about like personnel dictates so much of this. Like when you got when it was you and Dolan gronking Jojo and it was just clicking and you guys could go no huddle so often.
Speaker 3: Oh that was the best.
Speaker 1: That was like the strength of you know, with Chris Hogan and Malcolm Mitchell and Dola, Like we weren't like the most explosive group, but the strength of that team was the smartness, like the.
Speaker 3: Everyone's a saying everyone was smarts.
Speaker 4: The beauty of the Aarhart Perkins is when everyone's got.
Speaker 1: It, everyone's everyone was on the same page at all times.
Speaker 3: That was the best to watch. Oh god, I loved it. Man.
Speaker 4: That was awesome. Guys, keep keep u people leave comments on YouTube. Maybe maybe we'll get a whiteboard and like pick up a pick a playof I gotta get my playbook. I have playbooks, so maybe we should just expose it. Oh fire, let's go.
Speaker 5: Speaking of exposing in playbooks, I always think back to that.
Speaker 3: Uh when you remember when.
Speaker 5: Chris uh, Chris Cooley got in trouble in the early days of like instagram, he took a picture was like in the preseason, like cracking open the playbook and he was studying the playbook naked, so you could see like the typically in the Instagram pictured.
Speaker 4: Like three like penis related.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chris cool while keeping on those igels, who's Chris Cooley?
Speaker 4: He was a tight end sat for a little while.
Speaker 3: I remember he was actually a good place. Yeah yeah, I don't know why. That's in my taking up space in my brain.
Speaker 4: Three inch binder.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was awesome. That keep sending these We love pulling back the curtain, man, because.
Speaker 4: That was playbook. But that got into a lot of different stuff. But I've always want to know how. You don't answer it, We'll do another time. But like you guys got to like how you know personnel from the sidelines, when to go in and how signals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with you never, I'd be so bad at that.
Speaker 1: And that goes into like you practice, that's what practice is for, you know, like all the receivers are in with the receiver coach on the sideline, all the running backs are with the running backs, and you have to practice those things. Your communication coming in the field, with your signal. There were certain signals half hat, your sub army, army, we all had signals at receiver which probably change, uh, you know, but you have.
Speaker 4: To cycle through anything that's gonna be on tape, signals and whatnot.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: But like it didn't really change that often really, So like one of those things like that's our best shot, man against man, we're gonna beat you.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I don't know the personnel group