Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number one eighty three of the Marine Layer Podcast. We welcome on Bailey Freeman, also known as Foolish Baseball on YouTube. We chat with him about the Mariners off season, the usefulness of advanced numbers, which he uses so much on his channel, and we also talk to him about the success of Foolish Baseball and baseball bits.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys reminder, do us a huge favor. If you're listening to these podcasts. Just take a minute, download these episodes, rate and review if you have some extra time to leave it five stars. It does help us get this podcast out there as much as possible. And if you're watching on YouTube, just hit the subscribe button. It's right there. It's the best way you can support the channel. Make sure if you're already subscribing, drop a light, leave a comment to let us know what you want to hear. All that good stuff over on YouTube and then on social media. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube shorts at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network. Recording on Monday evening, November eighteenth. The hot stove is right now the opposite of hots. So I'm going to make a comparison of how the hot stove is right now. The hot stove is like if we've lost electricity and we needed to use a match to light the stove, but we can't find any matches. We're out.
Speaker 2: Only the angels can find matches, and they only kept it lit for a minute or two with some weird trades over the last couple of weeks. That's it.
Speaker 1: They went to the dollar tree for their matches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's about right. Oh, you know what we should talk about here for a minute. The hot stove's not back yet. You know who is though? Us? The two of us? What you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're back. Now what do we mean by that? I'll let TJ explain.
Speaker 1: So we have in this offseason expanded our range a little bit. So we've created a new channel, a new brand on Instagram, TikTok YouTube or we're going to branch out and do some national stuff, a lot of short form, a lot of trivia. We're going to fire off some takes on there as well. It's also going to be fan focused too, when we get back out into some more public baseball settings, like we'll be at the Winter Meetings coming up here in December, and then once the season gets underway as well, a chance for us to get out into the masses and instead of just the Mariners fan base will now hopefully be connected to all thirty So one step at a time. We got it started here on Monday, post our first video here on Monday, So if you want to go check that out on TikTok, Instagram YouTube look for Bullpen Banter Baseball, Bullpen Banner Baseball. We put it on our store here on Monday, and I'm sure you'll see it over the course of this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's our at The brand name is going to be Bullpen Banter, So bullpen b A N T er And like TJ said, just to add a couple pieces of context to all this, we love the Mariners. The Mariners are our biggest passion. The Marine Layer podcast is not going anywhere far from it. We just also want to try to do some stuff nationally too and build up a page on the national scale as well, so we're gonna be tackling both. We've got some really fun ideas for it. We're hoping to not just do some stuff with fans, So let me add the context. The two of us, a lot of the time we'll just be sitting and we're and pumping out content, short form content based on takes. The two of us have the two of us quizzing one another doing trivia. But when we're out in the public, whenever we have the chance and we have our mic, we're gonna try to get as many people on the mic as possible. And the nice thing about doing a national brand is whatever team somebody's a fan of, we can center something around them, and not just fans. We're hoping to do it with a bunch of people. If a bunch of if we find celebrities that want to do it, great, If we find baseball media members that want to do it awesome, If players are into the idea, couldn't be more on board with it. So we just started it. When I say brand new, it is brand new, and we're hoping to see where it goes. We're hoping it has a little bit of success. And if you guys are interested to check that out too, it would mean a ton to us. It would mean the world us if you check it.
Speaker 1: Out also on X and Blue Sky as well. We have a link tree that I can't remember that we'll put the well, let's put the link tree in the description of this episode, so in case you're curious, you can go check out all of our social media platforms for that new channel. And now you have multiple ways to consume the both of us, which is nice. Mariner's stuff here, national stuff there on the Bullpen banner pages, so stay tuned to that. It should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: One last thing, it's not a podcast, so if you're looking for long form podcasts, we're not doing that with this. It is going to be all centered around short So it's gonna be short form. It won't take up that much of your time if you want to watch sixty seconds a day or however many times we post a day. Yeah, it'll be all centered around that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about before we get to Foolish Baseball. Fantastic interview with Bailey Freeman, a conversation I'd been looking forward to having for a while now and we're finally able to get it. But we'll talk about that a little bit more after a couple of points here about the lack there of the hot stove. There has been a couple of really interesting storylines that kind of tie to the Mariners, kind of don't, but we can still talk about it. Should we kick it off with the Wan Soto conversation? Again?
Speaker 2: Lyle Yes, Yes, and it ties back to the Dodgers. The Dodgers in the spotlight for the second off season in a row and with a piece of writing that ties back to the Mariners. Incredible stuff. I gotta say, there's sarcasm in my voice.
Speaker 1: So let me read this tweet from Alden Gonzalez VESPN. So he says, sources tweeted out here on Monday, Dodgers are meeting with Juan Soda tomorrow on Tuesday, as Mark Finesad first reported. Then he adds some context underneath in a paragraph and says, yes, it would be absurd of them to follow a billion dollar off season with Shoeeyo Tani and Yoshinoba Yamamoto with a six hundred million dollar contract, which many people anticipate want Soda, we'll get. But sho Hao Tani's first year in La blew away all of their financial projections, and they need an outfielder. The key sentence there is that sho Hayo Tani's first year in Los Angeles blew away all of their financial projections for this upcoming season and what kind of budget they have available to them. I can almost remember a similar pitch coming from a podcast last off season about the financial impact of Sho Hao Tani and a certain team. Who's saying that I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 2: Oh right, hmmm, this right here, this right here is what pisses me off right here? How is it that fans, podcasters, et cetera have figured out more than owners of Major League Baseball teams? That's spending money nets you money, especially spending money on a guy like that. How we're a couple of dumb ass podcasters and we figured it out. The whole fan base figured it out. Twenty nine other fan base has figured it out. How are these owners not seeing the light? This idea that owners are more baseball savvy than fans. I don't buy that for one second. Maybe the Dodgers are. Actually I know the Dodgers are because they do it. Oh, there's a lot of owners across baseball that don't.
Speaker 1: Let me make a couple points on this first off I don't think any team in baseball would have made more money off of Shoho Tani than the LA Dodgers. Is that a fair statement?
Speaker 2: Yes, but other teams still would have made a ton eh.
Speaker 1: Yes or no?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you did the In the hindsight. LA also has the biggest marketing poll on the country of Japan, which I think is also correct. It's not Seattle, unfortunately, that would be Los Angeles, so I think that is also correct. However, despite both of these facts, actually one last fact, my dad.
Speaker 2: I need to respond to something. I need to respond to something. Seattle did used to have the biggest poll for players from Japan. Whose fault is that that they're not anymore.
Speaker 1: There's probably a lot of mediocre baseball and twelve years without each hero on the right or along that thirteen years without prime each year on the roster. So that helped. And it is an absolutely it is a fact. This is a last fact before I before I get back to spinning it this our way. The Dodgers do have more money to spend than the Mariners. That is an objective fact. Can't get around on that, right, There are a sin deal makes a ton more money. They need more money on ticket sales, more money on jersey sales, everything, more money than the Mariners. That's absolutely true. That does not mean the Mariners would not have been way more in the green with Sho Heo Tani than they would without all those facts. You still would have made significantly more money signing him than if you didn't, because while you wouldn't have been able, it sounds like the Dodgers got about one hundred percent of what they were asking for marketing wise and revenue generating wise, out of show Heo Tani. I'm saying, I'm gonna say the Mariners would not have gotten one hundred percent of what the Dodgers were able to generate of show Heyo Tani revenue wise, but the Mariners really didn't need to. They needed to just get what sixty to seventy percent of that, which is essentially like the percent of valuation the Mariners are of the LA Dodgers. Fine, so once you get past the current day value of show Hayes contract at what four eighty whatever however much it was in current dollars somewhere in the four forties to four eighties. At on top of that, whatever you are in the Green and would have worked out, and now because of that they can go sign Wan Soto, which is crazy. If there ever was incentive to spend money, that would be it. The Dodgers are showing you.
Speaker 2: Then why have other teams not picked up on it? Again, this goes back to what I was originally saying, how are fans outsmarting owners at this point? It's crazy? How much?
Speaker 1: Well know why? We know why because you can make money while not spending money too.
Speaker 2: I really hope to get an owner of a team on this podcast at some point. Maybe at some point we will, because there's so many questions I have, including why owners choose to own a baseball team once their career is setting done. And I know what somebody you are gonna say, money, They make a bunch of money. Yeah, I know that. I know that's why they get into it. But guess what, there's still a lot of things you could do post career when you're already a billionaire to keep making you more money. That isn't owning a team. Aka is something that's supposed to be a public service. Anyway, the A's could have netted significant money on sho Heo Tani. Everybody could have everybody, but the Dodgers are one of the few organizations out there smart enough to put that into action.
Speaker 1: Shout out to them. Yeah, setting a great example for everyone else, and everyone should fallo in Heye. If Juan Soto ends up deciding on the Dodgers, good for them. I won't have a problem with it. I see a lot of people that would have a problem with it. I wouldn't they deserve it.
Speaker 2: I would laugh. It would be completely the fault of the other owners across the league that refuse to comply with this idea that spending money makes you money. Spending money equates to winning. You don't have to spend like Steve Cohen, but spend smartly. Sad, Let's get.
Speaker 1: To this other note from that ed's been circling around baseball. I saw this today too. I couldn't I really couldn't believe this when I read it. This relates a little bit more to the Mariners since this player, I think we assumed, would instead of being almost zero percent with one so to be closer to one percent. And that was Alex Bregman. Because, as we've both highlighted here on this podcast, the available third baseman around the league right now is slim. It's Alex Bregman and Alec Bohm. Bregman's the free agent, the one that you only need money to sign. It came out today. Ken Rosenthal reported that he was suspecting Alex Bregman and Scott Boris were aiming higher than most of the projections. How much was Alex Bregman asking for? Lyle? Do you think? How much do you think Alex Bregman and Scott Boris were asking for? In Ken Rosenthal's report.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to play dumb to this?
Speaker 1: Oh, you could tell the people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Alex Bregman and his buddy slash agent Scott Boris are asking for eleven years and three hundred and fifty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Mariners will never give out that contract. Just to start, I don't even think that's a good contract for Alex Bregman. He's not that good of an offensive player to give that kind of deal too. So the comp for that deal was Many Machado's deal after he opted out, which was eleven for three point fifty last off season. Alex Bregman's not Maney Machado. I hope, I hope him and Scott Boris realized that, now, can I let me spin this into a positive for the Mariners. Scott Boris was puffing his chest last offseason trying to get his guys these insane deals, and little did they know that nobody was willing to pay that absurd price for those free agents going into this past season. So what happened. Matt Chapman had to sign a small deal, so did Blake Snell, so did Jordan Montgomery, And what do you know? Those players were available at the end of the off season. The Mariners could have chose to sign up they wanted to, decided ultimately not to. Now what if the same happens for Alex Bregman this offseason and he has to sign a short contract.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I'd be interested sign him for it.
Speaker 1: It's like the same storyline as last off season. It was the Mariners had Rojas and Luis Arius on the roster, Matt Chapman was still available, and they said, no, we're good. But at this point, if they have Josh Rojas and I don't know Dylan Moore on the roster looking at third and Alex Bregman is available for a two year contract, I would it not you can't make the same mistake twice. At this point, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Even have to be a two year deal. It could be a one deal that might be enough to bridge the gap to Colt Emerson if he's going to play third. Eventually. You got Alex Bregman in Seattle in twenty twenty five. Yes, and guess what. You know what Matt Chapman did signed a big extension because he played so well in San Francisco. They gave him the money and then he actually signed as a Scott Boris client and extension before free agency. Now, I will say that is probably where Chapman wanted to play and probably why he was incentivized to sign that extension early. But I'll tell you what, Scott Boris fumbles the bag again on all of his clients. He may lose half his client tell this offseason, we saw how bad it got. Last winner. Jordan Montgomery literally came out to the public this year and he's like, yeah, I mean, Morris messed up my negotiations pretty bad, right out to the entire media just thrown him under the bus. And obviously Jordan Montgomery no longer has Scott Boris as his agent. But Scott Boris is just one of those people that is so closed minded and so sure that he's right all the time that he probably thinks last offseason with some blip on the radar that will never happen again. Where If he does this twice, people aren't gonna trust him anymore. Fool me one, Shame on you. Fool me twice, Shame on me. People are not gonna trust Scott Boris anymore if he blows this again.
Speaker 1: Oh what is this? I think I have a text from Scott Boris giving us some more information on this subject. I was curious, so I reached out to him. Spekel. If I don't actually have Scott Boris's number, one would be pretty cool, he says. Alex Bregman is now asking for fifteen for four fifty so teams. That's what he's asking for. And when you're not gonna give him that contract, he can come to Seattle on a one year. We'll give him the av let's say forty five million dollars for one year.
Speaker 2: Sure you know what you know what we can do. We can ask Scott Boris as a bullpen banner question at the winter meetings. Drop your baseball take Scott Boris. See what he's got to say. See if he's so sure he's right this winner.
Speaker 1: What do you think you'd say.
Speaker 2: Use some stupid play on a words about Alex Bragman or somebody about Uh, what's he gonna say? My A B doesn't run ct ESPN and he deserves the money.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's good. That was a good coming up. That was a good, uh good epiphany there on the fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Scott Boris is always filled with these stupid quotes. I went on a ran about it last offseason. He's already put some out this winter about some of these different free agents. Like what did you say last year about about Jung Hoolee Is it's like there's there's some real K pop coming to coming to America about Jung Hoolee and the.
Speaker 1: Dolls one, it's like cool, I need something to fill my belly.
Speaker 2: So stupid, Like if we do run.
Speaker 1: Into him at winter meetings, we're getting him on the mic. I don't know for which channel yet. Well, actually you know we'll come up with both. See uh, well you know what we're gonna ask him, say, scale of one to ten? How's the cal Rally extension?
Speaker 2: Coming. Yes, I'm sure Scott Boris would love to get on the mic and just be as transparent as humanly possible.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, just tell me, tell me over on. No, we're gonna do. Here's what we're gonna do. I'm gonna I'm gonna give him a number. I'm gonna say, okay, over under the total amount the Mirrors have offered on a on a cow Raley extension, uh thirty two million dollars.
Speaker 2: So let us say this. We will ask Scott bors if we run into him, will he say yes, well, I put the odds lower. We will ask if we run into.
Speaker 1: Him, Yeah, he's usually got a posse around him. So yeah, it's right. It's a it's a little tricky, but there's never any harm in trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's take a minute before we talk to foolish baseball. We're gonna talk to you guys about our friends over at Pagatcha's Pub. Eighty five. Football season in full swing. You guys know that that's getting to the good point of the football season. Two college football playoff fields getting interesting games are getting real important in the NFL. College basketball started, there's hockey going on cracking. We're just on a winning streak till the other night. There's a ton of sports going on. You want to watch the games, your friends head over there. There's awesome food, there's games, and if you go during happy hour, there are deals from two to six pm on Monday through Friday with drinks that feature three and four dollars options. Those are amazing deals and all of that again, sports games, food, time with your friends, awesome drinks, all of that over at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland.
Speaker 1: I had really been looking forward to this Foolish Baseball interview for a while. I'm really glad he's able to have some time to jump on here with us. I recommend everybody, if you're not familiar with his YouTube channel and you even think of yourself as five percent of a baseball geek, I would go check out his channel, Foolish Baseball and go watch some of his baseball YouTube videos. They are, you know, these fifteen minute baseball video essays on some of the more niche and random baseball topics out there. They're masterfully done. His goal essentially is to make more advanced stats. They'll usually jostle around with what he uses, but he will make some of these more advanced stats digestible for just the casual viewer who was not as familiar with those. You could have no idea what some of these things mean, but you could understand baseball and you listen to him explain it in these videos. He does a really good job explaining it, and I think it makes it a lot more digestible for people very smart baseball mind. He's branched out into a number of different things. He now has a second channel that he runs as well, where he does some other topics. But YouTube's this whole time thing, and he does a fantastic job on it, and he really does know baseball.
Speaker 2: He's one of the biggest baseball YouTubers on the planet. That's just a fact, and we won't sugarcoat it. We nerded out in this interview with them, and it was really fun because Bailey, TJ and I think we're baseball nerds, and you guys probably think we're baseball nerds. I don't know if we hold a candle to Bailey. Unfortunately, this dude, this dude goes all out and it's a big part of the reason we really wanted to have him on. He loves the Mariner's rotation, so we talked plenty with plenty about that with him, and yeah, super cool interview. I hope you guys enjoy it because this is one that we've been looking forward to for a long time.
Speaker 1: Let's get you now to that interview with Foolish Baseball. All right, we got Bailey Freeman on with us. You might know him better as Foolish Baseball. The creator of Baseball Bits on YouTube also has a secondary channel, Foolish Bailey provide some of really the best baseball content in the YouTube space. Bailey, thanks so much for taking some time to join us. And I wanted to start in an area that I know you don't take suggestions on your Baseball Bits YouTube video. So instead of giving you a suggestion, I'm gonna plan a thought in your head that might come back to you in six months, ten years, whenever, whenever it comes around, because I think a story like this could be told for your videos are pretty timeless. So think of this like hypothetical team that played in this really weird run environment for an entire season. It was just like outlier bad. They in turn then had this insane starting rotation, that it was one of, if not the best, in baseball, their offense somehow finished the league top twelve across all of baseball and WRC plus, and somehow still miss the playoffs. I mean, I feel like that would be a pretty fun story to tell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again, this is a hypothetical situation, right, this is something that actually happened. I mean that sounds impossible. That'd be Oh if I were a fan of such a team that is such a thing, Oh, I would be going crazy. But yeah, I mean, if such a thing were to eventually happen one major League baseball season, it might be worth taking the statistical deep dive into.
Speaker 1: Because you've done videos on teams that are you know, they're they're weird teams. The one that comes to mind if for our listeners who aren't totally familiar with your YouTube channel, just to like the sort of specific nature you go into with some of the these baseball bits YouTube video baseball essays about literally anything major League Baseball related. You talked about a season like the twenty twenty Mets, like, would the standard fan know who the twenty twenty Mets are? Probably not? But then you point out all these things. It's like, huh, well, the Merrors are kind of similar this year in a different way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I wonder if there's maybe a team like that just about every year, because last year is definitely the Padres, you know, similar issues with regards to having some like good individual performances, but it's just not adding up to team wins in a necessary way. You know. Sequencing with the offense is such a big issue. That's kind of the funny thing about baseball, right is imagine you had this projection system right that could predict the average on base and slug for every single player on a team. It still wouldn't be able to predict how many runs they would score because of how that offense is sequenced or not. You know, so just that's just ball. And I was looking at George Kirby speaking of the run environment. Was just looking at George Kirby three five, three e er what oh four e R a plus like that, Like that's kind of crazy, you know, like era looks great. E R plus makes them look a little above average.
Speaker 1: You know, the disparity of some of these guys at home on the road is something I don't think I've ever seen before. I low and I've been spending a lot of time this year trying to understand why T Mobile Park is the way it is. It's always been a good pitchers park, but this year, for some reason, took this insane step towards like being the opposite of course field people people teams can't score. Opposing pitchers pitch in that park. Maritor's pitchers pitch in that park. H Like, how do you look at that? Like when you try and evaluate players that you know pitch on the Mariners.
Speaker 3: When you see that, it's really hard. There's kind of an analogous situation around the league that's interesting this year. I think in in Cleveland they removed some stands or something like that, and then they thought it created maybe like some sort of jet stream out to right field. And so obviously the team hit really well this year, and so it's it's interesting how like subtle tweaks even to a ballpark. I don't know if there were any at T Mobile this year like that, but even subtle tweaks to a ballpark can really affect that run environment in meaningful ways. You know. I think it's there's not really a one size fits all approach I think to assessing a player based on park factors. I think some players are naturally gonna find, you know, some ballparks advantageous and some aren't. So I just think the best advice I could give is to try to come up with more of a bespoke type analysis if someone is playing in a ballpark that deviates far enough from the normal run environment and that goes, you know, with heavy offense and not a lot of offense.
Speaker 2: Taoscar Hernandez talked about this this year, and maybe you've followed this story. I wouldn't should certainly wouldn't be shocked if you have. But he said the reason he felt like he struggled in c Now, this is not something they changed this year. It's been this way forever. He just brought it to light during All Star Week this year. He said, bat it does I slanted. I could not hit the ball inside that ballpark because it was I felt like the mound was slanted. I felt like everything was coming at me from an angle. It just I just couldn't hit. Do you think all it would be weird that all of a sudden, that comes to light so much this year that now all of a sudden guys can't hit. But maybe again, maybe I'm throwing a curveball at you. But if I am, do you think it played a factor?
Speaker 3: No, I definitely think it can. I do agree with your assessment, which is, you know, like that batter's eye has been there, right, so you know, I think maybe if you have a year like the Mariners just had where you you know, couldn't score enough runs, then maybe you do start to blame those things around you. You know, you say, hey, these are some pretty good players on the roster right here. You know, we've made the playoffs, you know a couple of years ago. Why isn't it happening for us now? But yeah, I mean I remember batters I discussions where a thing with Willia Damas in Tampa. You know, he had crazy home roads splits all his time in Tampa, and then he gets traded to Milwaukee and all of a sudden, he's this really consistent hitter. And of course now he's coming off this great contract here and hitting free agency. So you know, depending on who you are, like, yeah, you can find batter's eye that works for you and batter's eye that doesn't, and that can affect your your offensive output for sure. Like at that I believe is a thesis.
Speaker 2: You know, the way TJ started this question or started this conversation, I wanted to get your thoughts on something, Bailey, because I'm having some trust issues all of a sudden with Team WRC plus. And you can tell me how off I am on this or not. Because we've sat here the last two years. Mariner's offense in twenty three ranked sixth by WRC plus and twenty twenty four they ranked twelve, And like TJ said, they have this great rotation, top half offense, awful hitting environment, it's still missed the playoffs. Am I crazy for thinking there's something a little bit flawed about Team WRC plus because we've we sit here and watched this team every night, and I sit here and say, there's no way this was a top twelve offense in twenty four. How were they top twelve?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing. WRC plus is park adjusted, right, So, and we've talked about this already. It was a low offensive environment, and so theoretically the Mariners wouldn't need to actually hit all that well to theoretically have an above average team WRC plus. If that makes sense. So here's the way I put it. You know, WRC plus, the basis of that is wOBA. wOBA is you know, scaled on base percentage. Usually, you know, the league average is going to be about whatever the league average on base percentage is. Let's say it's three fifteen or something like that. This year, well, the Mariners wOBA this year was three h three. They were twenty first in wOBA, which is the basis for this WRC plus. So I think it's just a matter of you know, acknowledging, Hey, when the run environment is down, you know, you could have an above average WRC plus and still not score a lot of runs because of the ballpark situation, because they were guess what, twenty first and runs scored this year. So that in that sense it makes perfect sense.
Speaker 1: Is is the re So the reasoning like that you just gave there, and we're we talk about the the flaws of some of these advanced stats. How do you how do you sort of explain to people who are are skeptical of these advanced stats that listen, like these stats are like these stats have their role, but they're also like they're also imperfect. They're not going to give you the total answer. When I think when the idea of w RC plus was first broached to me, like it's the concept of it sounds great, but here we are sitting it's like, like the problem with this stat is, yes, it will park adjust like the runs created that you can get, but the mariners on the scoreboard don't get park adjusted runs. They get real runs. And that's where that's sort of like the sort of this this chasm is so like does that does that like explanation there? Like that I that I just rambled off makes sense?
Speaker 3: No, it does make sense. And I think, you know, the number one thing, And I say, this is someone who creates sabermetric type content for an audience that might not otherwise encounter it. You know, it's not like I'm a fan Grafts writer or something like that. Like I brought kind of that attitude to YouTube, and so a lot of people when they're learning about various sabermetric type stats are learning it. For me, they're learning it for the first time. And I do think when that's the case, you have a responsibility to talk about the shortcomings of certain stats. You know, I don't don't I don't speak you know, too declaratively about some stats. I try to address their their weaknesses and their strengths. For example, if I were discussing FIP, right fielding, independent pitching, I would say, hey, you know, an individual picture doesn't have as much contact or as much excuse me, control over what happens to their batted balls as a hitter does, but they still have some control. There are ground ball pitchers for a reason. For example, there are pictures who consistently allow low average exit velocities for a reason. So maybe you know, just viewing everything through the lens of the three true outcomes isn't always great if you're you know, an outlier with regards to what happens to your balls in play. So I think that's that is probably the number one responsibility of someone who has to talk about these stats on a daily basis is you have to acknowledge their shortcomings. And you can't say that these are you know, irrefutable truths, These are just you know that it's just information. That's one piece of vocabulary I always say is that you know, you can complain about analytics, but if you replace the word analytics with information, you know, where does that get you? Right?
Speaker 2: I've always said that about analytics. If the people that don't understand it, I feel like, use it as such a crutch word. It's their way of trying to get out of having to understand it because they don't want to understand it, and they use it as a crutch word. You hear it on football broadcasts all the time. Oh well, the analytics said to go for it here as if they're using it in a negative connotation. But exactly to your point, it just paints a further picture of who somebody is. There are still people out there, believe it or not, that complain about cal Rowley's batting average when you factor in everything else he does, Like is it is? It kind of crazy We're still in twenty twenty four and people complain about analytics.
Speaker 3: It is, But I don't blame him to some extent. It's it's because the battle for analytics is already won, you know, Like that's those are the that's the basis of how front offices and teams conduct themselves these days. So maybe to the average fan watching at home, and you know, they don't like it when the manager yangst their favorite pitcher too early in the game, or you know they don't like it when you know, a lefty masher gets pinch hit against a lefty you know, I think, I think though, that the battle is ultimately won. So it's almost it's almost futile, right. You have to embrace it. You have to learn about it, else you're probably just gonna be frustrated as a fan.
Speaker 1: Why if you were to make your pitch to someone who's not already in on sort of the content you make and you know the message and the stats you try to bring out to people, like, what is your pitch of why these things are important?
Speaker 3: Because again, your your favorite team has ran on those concepts. You know, It's it's not about loving it necessarily, it's about understanding it. And I think a big thing and a big reason why the videos connect with people is because even though I maybe have my own sense of humor there, it's not that smarty you know, it's not like that holier than now approach to sabermetric type stats. That the name of the channel is Foolish Baseball and it's actually I don't talk about this a lot. It's a play on the Keith Law book Smart Baseball and I and I just wanted to do a brand of talking about these baseball, say sabermetric concepts that aren't necessarily like patting myself on the bag about how smart I am and how smart I'm doing baseball. So you know, if one thing I would pitched it is is you don't even have to love it. It's just probably enhances the fan experience to have some degree of understanding as to why you're manager is making this decision in this moment.
Speaker 1: I want to get to a couple of Mariners specific things with you before we talk a little bit more about your channel, just as a general overview. When you see this Mariner's team, the past Marrior team, let's say, like the past three because I think that's been the real core of what this current Mariners regime is. What do you see when you look at him?
Speaker 3: The I think it starts at the top with the ownership. You know, the was it the vice president or whoever who got in trouble when he was on the zoom with the Rojerty club. Yeah, he kind of he did what you're not supposed to do when you're when you're in an ownership group. And that's you said the quiet part out loud, right, Uh, he was bragging to his buddies, but uh what what he was ultimately saying is not that different to how a lot of people in the administration of these clubs feel about you know, player payroll, for example. And the problem is, I think when they've gone out and spent or gone out and tried to get you know, bats, it hasn't always worked. Yeah, we've talked about ta Oscar Mitch Garver was a big signing for them that didn't really seem to work out this year. And you know, a couple of years ago, maybe two three years ago, felt really good about this rebuild. And actually one reason why I felt like it was good is because a lot of rebuilds and they're probably all like this to be realistic, but you need to bring in supplementary talent. You may have a stacked farm system, but that stack farm system isn't going to get you there. You need to acquire the right mix of veteran type players and you know, in order to push yourself over the top and to become a consistent playoff team. Right, Cubs did it by signing a bunch of pitching John Lester guys like that. You know, the Orioles this year went out grabbed Corbyn Burns, you know, my braves of you know, a lot of veteran pitching, you know, pushed them over in the top in like twenty twenty one. So, you know, the Mariners haven't necessarily succeeded in that. They've succeeded with regards to the player development side of things. I mean, Julio is the star. The rotation is almost entirely homegrown, with the exception of Castillo. So yeah, I just think you're looking for those supplementary pieces right now, and they're able to develop it. On the pitching side, I think they've done so well with a lot of like waiver claims and guys that were defade like in their bullpen year after year. It feels like, I think, maybe even earlier in the Depoto administration, that success with guys like you know, like Austin Nola, Dylan Moore, like those kind of guys almost but it's like, you know that that seems to be the difficulty at the moment. That's at least my assessment of the situation.
Speaker 2: So on that note, if it were up to you, who's some of that supplementary talent the Mariners could bring in this winner that would be a perfect fit that could help get this team over the top.
Speaker 3: I love Willia Damas. You know, Crawford is there. I understand that he is expressed that he would be willing to play other positions in the infield. I don't necessarily feel like he should have to do that. He's a very good defensive shortstop. Maybe they could find a better fit for Crawford somewhere else in the infield. But yeah, that's the guy that I look at, you know, I I yeah, they just need that. And it's it's I wish it could be as simple as saying, oh, they need to sign the right bats, they need to sign you know, a guy is gonna, you know, be a good offensive force for them. Well, you know, they they try that year after year. But I mean, I think they've just got to keep plugging away at it, to be honest with you, because they're they're on the cusp of being a pretty consistent playoff team and yet they just haven't been able to make it over that hump. And and one thing is you can really see teams stagnate at this point in the competitive cycle. I think the Blue Jays right now, are a very good example of a team that has stagnated despite having what was ostensibly a pretty impressive young corps with guys like Guerrero and Baschett and then even some really good pitching as well. You know, a team that is on the cusp of being that perennial playoff team and yet isn't.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up Willia Damas because a I think he's he is a fit for what the Mariners need. Costwise, he's not. But in terms of the age, in terms of the position, in terms of what the Mariners need, he absolutely is. But I had a question when when we're analyzing Willia Damas last week and we're trying to historically is a good defender a shortstop, but this year he had an abnormally bad season by defensive run saved even though the outs above average stayed steady for the most part. Why are there sometimes such a variance in stats like especially defensive stats.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One thing I really looked at this year on my channel is is I did a study of Adam Dunn's defense just to look at an outlier defensively in the negative sense, and defensive run saved was the metric that had him at like negative forty three in a season, which is one of those stats that seems so bad it's impossible. And I remember going back and watching game film. Defensive run saved. I think, at this point in the process is a stat I don't really look at that much. I think stat cast is probably giving you the most accurate look. There is at least some attempt at transparency in the stat cast fielding metric land, because at the very least you can look up like the catch probability of an individual play, and even if you disagree with it, it's still there. There's so much of this info, especially with regards to the defensive metrics, it's just like it's like a black box. You know. Baseball Info Solutions will will sell you a DRS info if you work for a team or a publication maybe, but otherwise it's just like a leaderboard that you go look at and there's just no context to it at all. And I think one thing that causes a difference between defensive run saved and maybe a stat like stat cast outs above average is a context neutral versus context dependent stats. So, for example, in defensive run saved, Bland if you make a really bad mistake that directly, you know, affects the run probability or you know, allows two runs to score, maybe because you let a ball go through your legs in the infield or something like that, Like that affects you more negatively than it would in terms of stat cast outs above average, because what stat cast outs above average does is it just looks at each play and it just looks at basically the zone where you're at. So for example, if you're a shortstop right, it just says, Okay, a ball that's misplayed in the shortstop zone on average leads to this that's probably more predictive for the future if you you know, unless you totally buy into the idea that clutch defense is exists as a concept. I'm not sure if I do. I just think you know, you play good defense or you don't. You're good defender or you aren't. So yeah, I mean, I I think you know. Again, this is this goes back to my previous point, which is that you know, as a someone who explains these statistics, you have an obligation to explain their shortcomings. I mean, the fact of the matter is the defensive metrics are lagging far behind the offensive metrics in general. You know, you can get a pretty good idea of what a player is going to do for you offensively if you look at their average on basins or they're WRC plus or whatever, but defensively year to year, there's a lot of inconsistency. It's because these metrics, you know, defense hasn't been solved yet, and I think that's kind of a good thing. I think it's a good thing that there are elements of baseball that are really imprecise measurements for Is that due to.
Speaker 1: Lack of volume of just defensive opportunities as opposed to the seven hundred at bats you'll get in a season.
Speaker 3: It could be. I mean, there are some positions that you know, you might on average have two or three batted balls hit at you per game, you know, and you might take three or four at bats. So yeah, I mean, I think that's definitely an element of it, for sure. And a lot of a lot of defensive plays are routine and a lot of defensive plays are impossible, and there's not that many defensive plays that are in between, even though that's where you can really tell who's a valuable defender, and who's not.
Speaker 2: One of many reasons we're excited to have you on Bailey and Me in particular, is we've got somebody on the podcast that is as big of, if not a bigger fan of Brian Lou than I am. So you don't need to tell me or sorry, you don't need me to tell you why he's so good. You tweet out your memes every time he takes the mound, and you watch a ton of his starts. But I'll just throw the question to you and let you go, why do you love him so much?
Speaker 3: Because I think it's just he's a testament to player development, and I think specifically pitch modeling being a successful thing. Because what's so fascinating about Brian who was He was bad in college? He was legitimately bad in college. You look up his college stats. It's not like he was playing like a big power five conference either. I can't remember what school it was, but it's not you know, cal Poly. There you go. And so what's so fascinating about is you know, he gets drafted by the Mariners, right, and it's like he's like, what like a fifth rounder or something like that sixth rounder? And I was reading the article, maybe just a couple of months ago. Someone in the front office was like, if we did, you know, if I had my say, I would have drafted him first overall. Like that's crazy, right.
Speaker 2: That was the director of pitching, So he's on the big league stap. His name's Trent. That story was told on the broadcast a while back. Once he said, yeah, but it was up to me I draft Brian won number one overall. And it's funny. I'm not saying he's one hundred percent right, but you do look back at some of those pictures that were drafted in twenty twenty one, there's a lot of guys that win that first round where I'd say, yeah, I'd take Brian Wu over him, over him, over him, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and again it's it's it was mostly just based on the pitch modeling. Like for him, what makes them special is the release point. You know, it's a very low release point. It is like Castillo. Castillo also is is a writing with a lower release point. But what's what's interesting is and stat cast has just released some data on this is the is the arm angle data. So you can talk about release point, but The thing about you know, Castillo is it's hard to show podcasting on video, but his elbow, if I can explain, it, is more like horizontal to the ground. And so that's why he's throwing, you know, like a really nasty sinker, you know gyro, you know Giray type breaking balls too. Wu he gets his elbow so low that his hand is like above his elbow, and that you know, can give him some like maybe more induced vertical break or something like that. And so it's just it really messes with hitters when you have a guy coming at you from a lower release point who can really elevate that fastball. And that's really the basis for what he does. Both his fastballs, the four seamer and the sinker are just downright nasty and some of the best that any starting pitcher in the Leak throws.
Speaker 2: What's crazy about him, too, I would say, is look his rookie year. You saw the stuff, and you saw how special it could be. But he had a pretty typical year for a rookie where he had his ups and his downs and it was the most innings he'd ever thrown. All of a sudden, the guy comes back in year two he doesn't walk anybody like you walk less guys than George Kirby. So I'll throw it back to you again, what is his ceiling? Am I crazy to say this guy can win a cy Young?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think you're crazy at all. I mean he's gonna have to show a Kirby like dedication to that efficiency and to that not walking people, because I think that's how you get the volume necessary to win a cy Young Award. You probably need to throw one hundred eighty hundred and ninety innings to do that. Today's MLB woo, of course, you know, was a little off and on with some of the injury scares this year, and so that might be the thing that they would prevent him from doing so. But no, I mean I think the ceiling is insanely high on him. It's there in the pitch modeling. It's just about Kenny Harrison and Kenny put together like that one Monster season.
Speaker 1: Everyone does love Kirby's control, and Kirby has been just wildly productive since debuting a couple of seasons ago. But I'm interested to hear what you think when you say you want to hear that see that full season dedicated to just overly pounding the strike zone. From Brian Wu, I feel like Kirby ran into a problem this year where yeah, you know, he didn't walk guys, but he almost threw the ball in the zone too much. And it hadn't really caught up to him until this year where he had the worst month of his career in August and he actually give up the most hits of any pitcher in the American League. So like, where's the balance there for for what Kirby and Wu you know, should be doing. Does that mean bringing the walk up from walk right from up from three percent to five percent and throwing x amount more out of the out of the strike zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's interesting. It may be there are ways, if you get your stuff right, you can throw the ball out of the strike zone and still not walk anybody. And I think one of the best examples of this, at least in a smaller sample, was what Bieber did in twenty twenty. And I think Bieber is someone who, at least at least prime Bieber is compares a lot to Kirby with that they have that same dedication right. Well, Bieber in twenty twenty, you know, this was his you know, short season, Cy young year. He threw the ball in the zone like a third of the time and he only walked. Let's see, I've got the numbers right here, twenty one batters in seventy seven innings, and it was just because if he threw the he was throwing the breaking ball in the right spot and getting the chase. I think maybe, you know, as much as I love the efficiency, maybe you know, maybe a two waist pitch isn't such a bad thing if if you've got a breaking ball that can be respected. But yeah, I mean, I generally am a proponent of pounding the zone. To be honest with you, if you look at pictures that pound the zone, maybe there's a survivor ship bias to that where if you pound the zone, you probably have an above average fastball to begin with, and so you're gonna succeed in the zone relative to other pictures. But yeah, I mean, I think it generally, if you just look across the league pictures that pound the zone, they tend to do well. They tend to get through a lot of innings, and I think there's a lot of value in that. Now, this might be a video idea for your for your second channel. I would imagine at some point you'll do something about some of the like the wonkiest pitches in baseball. Uh have you seen Bryce Miller splitter and like what it does? Yes, a brand news splitter by the way, that he worked on this year, And I guess that's sort of the new trendy pitch, like maybe sweeper was a year or two.
Speaker 1: Ago, mm hmm, and it it has the the unique action where it's essentially acts as like a mix between us split in a knuckleball. And even though even though it was his first year throwing it, I think he had the best run value in all of in all of baseball in that pitch. So there there's to plant that in for you. I mean, it's just incredible what these guys can develop in this Mariner's rotation. Like seriously, everyone in that rotation is so unique and so different in each their own way from like Brian Will and Logan Gilbert are so different, but it doesn't matter because the results are just so so so drastically uh so drastically similar in terms of what they do. Are there any other teams that can match the uniqueness and and the development of of different types of pitchers, like we've seen the Mariners do the last two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, the Rays have had some pretty impressive runs in that regard. You know, it's it's apples and oranges. But of course the Dodgers have, you know, had plenty of pitching development successes of their own. But yeah, I think the Mariner would of course rank pretty highly in that. I was singing the praises of their pitching development. I remember, you know, last year in particular. What's funny is you know you allude to, you know, the there are some pretty unique profiles in their starring rotation. You know, Logan Gilbert and Luis Castillo are two very different pitchers. I will say that there is an emphasis with them on the vertical approach angle outlier guys. That is something that we see across the board, whether it's you know, really steep one or really flat one. I think that's something they focus on. I don't know if you feel like they've gotten away from it, but it felt like there were a lot of like sweeper guys in the bullpen, especially last couple of years, where they've had some success with that, maybe upping their rate of that, so there can still be some sameness with them. But yeah, I mean, I think they're one of the top organizations in terms of pitching development, and the fact that they have guys like Wu and Miller who they also drafted or you know, breaking into the rotation becoming legit pieces really speaks to the organizations excess as a whole.
Speaker 1: Just to follow up on the vertical proach angle part, just for our listeners who might not be totally tuned in on what that is. It's essentially the example you would use for that, as Brian will write, just throwing it so low, but the the the batter thinks it's it's just sort of exploding up. Well, it's really just kind of staying on plane. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So in that sense, that's called a flat approach angle because you know, your pitcher, you're a tall man, you're standing on a hill, so you're releasing the ball generally higher than where it ends up going. In Wu's case, he releases it low and it ends up high. And because you know, for hitter, a slight uppercut is actually more of a contact swing because that keeps you on plane with the ball more. The fact that the approach angle is flat in this case does lead to more swing in this.
Speaker 2: Which is crazy, the drastic difference between the two, Like TJ was saying, just to contextualize it for people listening, one more time here Logan Gilbert gets right on top of you. His extension's crazy. He doesn't have that is a low release angle, but fastball rise it was a little smaller. He releases it from the crazy angle, but he does have the crazy fastball rise, which is just another way that makes them very different. Bailey, I want to ask a little bit more about you for people that either are getting to know you for the first time or have watched you for years and just want to get to know more about you and the awesome channel that you've created over the years. When did you start to feel like your content was really resonating with people? Because you win zero to one hundred pretty fast in terms of your rise through YouTube and baseball YouTube, When did you really start to see it resonate with people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, zero to one hundred really fast. I mean, and I don't think that's necessarily typical. I think a lot of people plug away for years and they don't necessarily have this instant aha moment. It just may be something that progresses as they you know, improve their craft. But you know, when I started it was making videos for the video game Out of the Park Baseball, which is what I would describe as a baseball GM spreadshe sheet simulator type game. And I still love OTP. I played some of it this year on my second channel, Foolish Bailey in Fact, and so I started doing that, and you know, it kind of ran its course and I decided, Okay, well, you know, let's let's try something different. And you know, I made the first episode of Baseball Bits, probably two or three hundred people watched it. I made another one, probably two or three hundred people watched it, and then I made the one about Verlander, which I think is still to this day one of the videos that I'm probably most identified with. And I you know a lot of people tell me, hey, I've been watching since the the Justin Verlander video, because within a week that video had like one hundred thousand plus views, and Justin Verlander himself tweeted about it, which was very kind of him to do. And I was getting, you know, attention from even like people in the industry, and I really just you know, from that point forward, took it seriously and I didn't have like much of a career in the in the real world. So I think, what a lot of people when they have this breakthrough, they have to weigh that, right, they say, oh, I was I was going to be a successful accountant, but now I have this YouTube video that's doing really well. I didn't really have to necessarily make a lot of those tough decisions, so I mean, I was basically a full time YouTuber, you know, three or four months after that happened, and then comfortably doing it maybe a year after that happened, so that there was definitely a before and after moment for me. It would be that Verlander video. I got the feedback and the attention, and I didn't necessarily plan on making YouTube book career. It was just something I was doing as a hobby, something because I love baseball. But here I am, and I've been doing this, you know, over five years now, and that's something I'm very proud of because I do think online creators, especially independent ones, tend to have a relatively short shelf life. So I think the fact that I'm you know, still able to do this five six years later a testament to what a great fan base I've cultivated, and hopefully a testament all the hard work I've put into this thing.
Speaker 1: In case any of you haven't watched it, go over to the Foolish Baseball YouTube channel and it's it's down there at the beginning of all the baseball bits, but it is. It's a really good video highlighting and inning of Justin Verlander's MVP campaign in twenty eleven. I believe why like why that inning, like of all things, like, of all things to land on, why was it that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I I definitely felt like I wanted to focus on, you know, aspects of baseball that had maybe for been forgotten to some extent. And I think for me, there's always an interest in outliers. You know, no matter what I do, you could almost sum it up as you know, pull up a leaderboard for a stat who's the best at it, who's the worst? Why? You know that that's Jeff Mathis, that's Tim Lecastro, that's Rob Bras like those are like those are the type of videos I'm ultimately identified with for Verlander. The outlier is the you know, the the velocity at the end of the game that that willingness to just completely empty the tank and energy allocation, which I think is such an impressive ability for any pitcher to have, and I think it's going to probably continue to be relevant in this in this era where pitching injuries are up, and so yeah, I mean it. You know, I'd seen the video. I don't think I watched the game live or anything, but I'd seen the video over the years, and it's just one of those things that's stuck with me. And you know, one of the fun things about becoming a YouTuber or a content creator and having a platform is sometimes you discover that your brain worms, that your things that stick in the back of your head. You know, you can share those with other people, you know, and you can you know, the same memories that you have and the same things that you obsess over, those can be someone else's new obsession. And I think that's what happened when I put out that video.
Speaker 1: So you look at like leaderboards and stuff, which is which is great and I'm sure leads to a lot of the ideas you have for videos, but you put one out. I think those two baseball bits ago where you were you ta talked about baseball on hgtvs. Like, that's not on a leaderboard, right, So how did you come up with something like that?
Speaker 3: You know, I think maybe being in the in the video space, the YouTube creation space, helped me in that one. I just maybe have a unique view of baseball where I just like can almost remove myself from the mechanics of the batter and the pitcher and the bases and just sort of view it almost as like an alien would view a baseball broadcast, Like if you were watching baseball on TV, what would you think if you had no idea what was going on? And of course, you know, how I present things matters to me. How I have to, you know, manipulate footage that could have been from a sixteen x nine era or a four x three era, and how I you know, I'm conscientious of that whenever I'm going through, you know, decades and decades of baseball footage. Yeah, I mean, it's just one of those things where, because I've spent the last four or five six years working with a lot of baseball footage, it's kind of always been in the back of my head like, huh, if the four to three looks pretty good, you're not gaining much by you know, expanding it to a sixteen by nine and now here we are in an era of you know, YouTube shorts and tiktoks where everything is uh, you know, in portrait mode now, and yeah, you just think about the mechanics of a baseball broadcast more when you're make baseball YouTube videos.
Speaker 1: When you started making videos, your goal was to in your words, I think, was to fill a void in the in the content community from more of the general baseball stuff on YouTube versus like the fangrafts articles. Do you think there still is a void?
Speaker 3: No, I actually don't. I think it's been filled. I look at the the YouTube baseball landscape. It's really strong, you know, and I'm honored if if in any way, you know, people were maybe inspired by my creations to try their own. But it just seems like every day now, you know, I'll come across an interesting from a smaller creator that I hadn't previously heard of or you know, and so the landscape right now, yeah, I think that gap has definitely shrunk a fair amount. There's some really great stuff on baseball YouTube. It's not just the saber metric stuff either. It's just a lot of you know, like a lot of you know, baseball player like kind of lifestyle type stuff I really admire, Like the Baseball bat Bros. What they've built is really impressive.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Eric sim is someone who I've been a fan of for years and he's seen a ton of success. So yeah, I mean we really benefited from for me at least personally, like entering the scene around the time when MLB was starting to get a little more lax with the copyright stuff, and so I think that definitely made a big difference. But yeah, I mean I think I think the gap has shrunk. I think there's there's great stuff on baseball YouTube and it's a really strong scene and there are a lot more people participating it than you know, five years ago when I was getting started.
Speaker 2: Last one I've got for you, Bailey, and I'm gonna get give you a tough one to end it. But I want to see where you go with this. Of all the videos you've created, baseball bets you've created, do you have a top three? Have you ever thought about this at all? Like, can you rank one for us? Like I don't want to plant ideas into your head, but as somebody who loves the Joey Botto video. That one's up there for me. But I'm curious if you have a top three in your own head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess my favorite is probably the Rod Burrojas one. I think it it kind of encapsulates pretty much everything I would want to do with this series.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 3: There's a twist essentially. I like the idea of having a twist, you know, a third act to the video. I'm actually quite fond of one I did recently at the beginning of this year that is called the Only Thing that Matters in Baseball, and it's about the count. It's about you know, as in the O two pitch, as in full count, as in the first pitch of the bet. I think that is probably the most stats heavy video I've done in some ways. I think it's some of the most labor I've ever done on a video in some ways, and I think it just really came together well. And I think with those two vds in particular, those are ones that I make and I hope, you know, this will fundamentally change the way some person who watches this will watch a baseball game from here on out. There's a third I could throw in there that might be a tough one for me. I might go Tim Lacastro because people seem to really like that. One one I am really partial to is one that I did about the Yankees Twins game, those from twenty nineteen, the one that ended with the Aaron Hicks catch, because I felt like, you know, we've talked about some of the stat heavy ones, I feel like that one is a good one in a sense that I would want to show it to someone who's never watched a baseball game before, because what it fundamentally is is a story about a really fun baseball game in the regular season. And so that is one that stands out to me as still one of my favorites to this day.
Speaker 1: Last thing for me baileying ending on an open ended question, open ended not is there a stat that you really like that you don't think is getting enough attention, and that into next season, into the twenty twenty five season, people should pay attention to more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've for me, the hitting stats, the hitting peripheral type stats. I'll shout out three. They're very basic, but I think if you look at these three stats, you can get a pretty complete picture of what type of hitter someone is, and that's going to be their barrel rate. Barrels are so important. It's crazy how much barrels correlate with home runs, how much they correlate with runs scoring. In general. Barrels are awesome. That's, by the way, a stat cast metric that assigns a barrel quality if you reach a certain threshold in exit velocity and launch angle. I think you tell a lot from someone's barrel rate. They're with rate, so you know how often they swing and misper swing and their chase rate, how often they swing at pitches outside the zone. I think a lot of times, if you're looking at a hitter, you can kind of distill what they do just by looking at those three stats.
Speaker 1: Bailey, this has been awesome to all the listeners and all the watchers. Go check out as YouTube channels if you're not familiar already, Foolish Baseball and Foolish Bailey. The Baseball bits are really fantastic. Go watch one, I promise you then you'll probably want to watch the rest of them as well. Bailey, this has been awesome. Thanks so much for taking some time to join us.
Speaker 3: All right, Thank you, TJ, thank you Lyle.
Speaker 2: We really thoroughly enjoyed that conversation with Bailey. Hopefully you guys did too. Again, if you want to go check out all of his content, which you absolutely should, you can find him everywhere. We would most recommend on YouTube at Foolish Baseball. With that, that'll just about wrap up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. You want to listen to the full form pods, you can do so wherever you get your audio podcasts. If you're listening, do us a big favor. Download the episodes, rate and review. Leave it five stars. Does help us out a bunch if you do. If you're watch on YouTube, like, comment and please subscribe. And if you're on social media, come on, we know most of you are follow us there Instagram, TikTok, Twitter and YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod. One more reminder, if you want to follow our new national channel, you can do that everywhere everywhere it is at Bullpen, Banter Baseball. That's TJ. I'm Lyle as always been. Thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.