Speaker 1: Actress Cheryl Hines and her daughter, Catherine Rose Young just launched their eco friendly and affordable cosmetics line called Hines and Young. They join me today and just be influenced to talk all about their new products. Okay, so Cheryl Hines and her daughter have this product line that I did receive. They are these little tins and the fragrances are lovely and beautiful, and these nice little candles that do have a top, and they're very clean looking, not just clean inside, but clean looking because they're just like a simple cream color that you put you can put the cap back on, which I do like for travel, and I just think it's also a good gift. And I did not realize that it was their line when I got it. I didn't see the card or anything, so I afterwards I was asking my assistant and then I remember that that was their brand. Like when I got it, I get so many things, and when I got it, I did not realize that this was their product. That makes any sense, So now I remember and I know because it's it's really pretty and lovely. So I have it in my house. Let's get into it. Oh, yay, nice.
Speaker 2: To meet you.
Speaker 3: This is Cat to meet you.
Speaker 2: I kay, nice to see you, Cheryl. How's it going?
Speaker 3: Ah? Good?
Speaker 2: Big news in your house? A lot going on.
Speaker 4: Got some yeah, got some big news.
Speaker 1: A lot of activity, A lot of activity, a lot of joh my god, you guys are beautiful.
Speaker 2: You look so pretty. Oh my god, you look like sister.
Speaker 1: It's literally like we're watching that movie that we're obsessed with, Bad Mom's Christmas Key Key.
Speaker 4: Well that's where, Yeah, I got a lot of inspiration because she always does smell goods. I like to smell our hair, so it's like, yeah, just do it in the movie.
Speaker 2: So how old are you?
Speaker 1: I'm nineteen, you're nineteen, and you're already an entrepreneur? Yes, So how did this all? Right? So let's get into this. So this is just be influenced and we talk about marketing and products and just like the whole sort of business as it pertains to influence space. So I want to hear about you as a nineteen year old entrepreneur. I want to hear about social media how it affects that, and tell me about your business and what the plan is and what you're running into.
Speaker 2: When did it start?
Speaker 1: Because you told me about last time Cheryl, when you were on Just Be, you told me about the idea, so tell the audience about the idea. But then did when did the idea happen? And when did you actually start? And where are you now?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, we started probably about three years ago when Kat was still in high school and I was feeling you know, you feel it as a mom, you feel I was feeling that my daughter was getting ready to leave home and leave me, and so out of desperation and inspiration, I decided, wouldn't be fun to work on a project together. So that's where it all began, and wouldn't it be fun to build a company together. Her last name is Young, my last name is Hines, so we decided on Heines and Young, and then that way I felt like, oh, she'll have to stay connected to me.
Speaker 1: That's so funny because I had Andrew McCarthy on Just Be and he told me that he was looking for a connection with his son, and he kept bringing up doing this hype. His son kept blowing him off, and then his son went through a breakup and was really low and finally walked in the other room and said, Okay, Dad, I'll do the hike with you probably like that dumb hike with you and Andrew went in the other room, booked the tickets and they went away for a month and like bonded. So it's an interesting concept overall, just this perspective of having a child that's leaving the nest and wanting to find a way to connect differently because they're not a kid anymore, so you can't just like tell them where to be in what to do. They're not a peer but sort of a peer another human, right, And that's interesting. So that's interesting that your what his was a month long hike to really connect and bond and yours is a business, so you're.
Speaker 2: Legally bound together.
Speaker 4: Definitely.
Speaker 2: It's the only way to marry your daughter is.
Speaker 4: Through that's right. Well, I also wanted to empower her and I wanted this to be a female owned company and and you know, the whole timeline of it is so interesting because then there was the lockdown, so we had a lot of time together too much.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that, but we But for business, it sounds like a lot to be in the house with someone that you're in a relationship with with as a parent and then also be talking about business all the time, you Kat, were probably like enough like shut up but don't want to hear about it anymore?
Speaker 2: Were you? Not?
Speaker 3: Not as much?
Speaker 5: Just because like it wasn't necessarily that we had parts moving at that time since it was COVID, So it was more like fun creative time where we could like explore ideas.
Speaker 3: So I actually enjoyed it a lot.
Speaker 5: And we have a lot of the same like opinions and ideas and thoughts, so it actually ends up working out that.
Speaker 2: So it was like a thought partner.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Kat, tell us the name of the business, tell us about the business, pitch us the business.
Speaker 2: Okay, I hit it elevator.
Speaker 5: And young and I feel like we're overall just a wellness and self care company. We have a variety of body creams, candles, lip bombs, linen spray.
Speaker 3: I love it all so much.
Speaker 5: It's mostly natural as an autroo as we could possibly make it, no plastic as much as we no plastic, and all the sense are just amazing. A lot of them are kind of unisex too, so you can use whatever.
Speaker 3: I love it so much.
Speaker 5: I love everything about it, and it makes me so happy that we're doing this because I know that the products are great.
Speaker 1: And I like that you're saying as much as possible because people the term clean beauty is very confusing and you can't really certify that, and some people define clean as there's so many definitions, animal, cruelty, vegan, do you use TALC? There's you know, there's a there are a thousand different things. So to say as clean as possible is good because it's honest. And what's the problem that the product, the products or the brands Because you're saying it's not just is it overall beauty or you're saying it's more lifestyle, Like what do you I mean?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't necessarily say beauty since it's not really like makeup.
Speaker 4: Or like, I think lifestyle is right. I think that lifestyle is right turn because.
Speaker 5: We have like home items like candles and linen spry, which I feel like falls more under that umbrella.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so when did it launch or when is when has it launched already?
Speaker 4: It has? We just launched probably a month ago. Yeah, so what happened?
Speaker 3: It was pretty soft? Yeah, we want soft.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we wanted to do a soft launch because we wanted to make sure, you know, our shipping is handled right, and all of our products have come in and so we wanted to we wanted to start off softly and gently, and that was helpful, really helpful. And now it's it's taken a life of its own because of everything that's happening. It just is on its own paths. So we're like, okay, we're we're getting into this. Uh uh, we're sort of moving past our soft launch right now into a bigger awareness of the product and getting out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you launched on what the website just and you're on your social media promoted the website. You didn't do a full pr toward then you're kind of starting one now, right, Okay, So did you did you hire a publicist or did you use the ones you've already had? Like how how does that work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've I've been working with a publicist for a long time in my career, so we have been working with her. And then also, you know, we have I mean I have good friends that are in this space, okay, and very successful businesses, companies like JP Djoria who.
Speaker 2: I know him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, who's yeah, Paul Mitchell yeah, so and his daughter Michael Lean who's running Paul Mitchell. They have been very great with us and advising us and sort of mentoring us, which has been so helpful. And we have been mostly finding our own way. We don't have a big, fancy team put together because yeah, because yeah, right now we're just like a we're a small company, a family owned company, and we're just getting out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a couple of things. One we talked about the PR for two seconds. But one thing that people may not realize is brand PR is much more expensive than personal PR, and that would be something if I were starting a small business, I would not invest in. So I think that's smart because that can really suck up a lot of the money and then you might not even be able to support If you did get a lot of PR from it, you might not be able to support it. So it could be this onslaught and you couldn't even handle it. So I feel like you're doing you're doing wisely to not have invested too much and going slow. You kind of have to do that dance of balancing between going slow but also being prepared for big Like there's going to be a moment where you' don't have to jump into a cold pool. You know, for the most there will be that moment. So you two are partners fifty to fifty or do you have other people that have a piece of this or no?
Speaker 4: Well right now we're fifty to fifty. But and I should say also my brother and my sister are also helping the company. Okay, so we're we're figuring out you know exactly, Yeah, equity and those business points. So that's something that I'm continuously continuously learning about. I'm I'm trying to like learn about business.
Speaker 1: Building a plane while you fly it, that's exactly, that's whatever.
Speaker 2: Everybody's doing that.
Speaker 1: But you're so you have to decide who's going to be the decision maker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You have to pick who's going to be the tie breaker. You should have the two of you, you say, you usually agree that there should be somebody else that's the tiebreaker.
Speaker 4: Oh that good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a person that you both like, you both trust you both and that person breaks the time. Do we sell a target when we thought we were gonna be upscale and do Barneys even though Barney doesn't exist anymore? Like just giving random examples, you need a tie breaker because something will come up that you don't understand.
Speaker 2: Do we want to do that?
Speaker 1: Oh, we could get disorder, but we have to put an ingredient here that we don't love because it keeps it more shelf stable. Like whatever it will happen, it will happen. So you have to do that. And then what have you bumped up against? What are the big struggles in starting a brand?
Speaker 4: I think the big what are the struggles for us? Because it was really important for us to be environmentally friendly and to not use single use plastics, okay, which is challenging. So you know a lot of our creams come in this aluminum tin which is beautiful and fun and you can put it in your bag and you can take it with you, but you know, when you get it, it might have a little dent on the side by the time of what about opening it?
Speaker 2: They sometimes get stuck the tins.
Speaker 3: We really haven't ran into that problem.
Speaker 4: Well, not the scrubs, the salt scrub.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they can get into the grooves of the cat. But like that's kind of the thing we're figuring out, like little tiny, yeah things we need to fix, which I also feel like has been super helpful since we didn't go out and do this huge launch. Yeah, I would feel a lot less comfortable having these small problems on such a huge scale, you know.
Speaker 3: So how we can kind of start to smoke?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, anything will happen. Where is everything?
Speaker 4: Everything is manufactured in Florida, So we have we worked with a cosmetic scientist in Florida who really specializes in natural oils and natural products. And then we also I'm going to grab our candle. We also have a candle line which I love. This is so nice, nice, it's so beautiful. These are also hand poured in Florida. So and and the rest of our family lives in Florida, so we all have we have the east coast and the west coast of Heinz and Young.
Speaker 1: So they're shipping it. You don't have to touch it. They it's a you have a situation where you found a co packer to do it that you like and they ship it. So yeah, they are manufact they're they're making the product and the packaging, and you use packaging that already exists, meaning you don't have to make new molds, which is very expensive. You use stuff that they showed you that we're options correct.
Speaker 4: Right, We're not making new molds.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, that's smart too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And so the problem is the little problems that you're finding with like the actual product in the you and have people commented and have you had any people say this is this but I'd rather do that, like I didn't like it this way. You're getting feedback and where is that coming from?
Speaker 4: We are getting feedback, you know, and it's all been positive. It's been I mean so far. Once again, we did a soft launch with people that we know and people that are close to us and people that are following us on Instagram already. So, uh, the feedback that we get is they love our creams because the first ingredient and these creams is allow so instead of water because a lot of lotions their first ingredient is water. So people are loving the fragrances and everybody has their own. We have four different fragrances, so we get to hear what everybody likes about about each fragrance. And other than that, I'm not I haven't.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I feel like even with the small issues we've run into, it's been more like us being like nitpicky about like, oh, there's an issue with the packaging, Like you've gotten a.
Speaker 3: Lot of positive feedback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nobody has.
Speaker 5: Nobody's really said anything. It's more like before it gets.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, we don't want it to dn. We don't want the ceramic to break on the way there, so and that hasn't happened yet locking on wood. But but those are the things that we've been thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've seen it with major brands. I've seen Bobby Brown's product. Bobby Brown's product what the foundation had like oil separated from the actual foundation, like it literally was like peanut butter with on the top of the poor of the oil and then it would be dry. It was a disaster, and I mean I was cringe if I with them. But by the way it went viral, which brings me to ask you, well, two questions. One, if you had to look at other brands, what are the price points and what other brands is it like? Or do you model after who would you like to be like? Or do you look at and think, wow, they're doing a great job, Like what brands are you seeing that you like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we want to. We wanted to and I think we did make a luxurious product that was more affordable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: So so when you look at something like Bluspa with candles, okay, they have a good price point and they make good candles. Yet ours are you know, soy and cotton wick and we've really gone to great lengths to keep it natural and beautiful.
Speaker 1: Why does cotton wick matter? Like I most people don't know. I will tell you this because it's like when I was on HSN, I wanted to do vegan, I wanted to do vegan options. They were like ninety eight percent of this audience doesn't care about vegan or vegetarian ninety eight. So I find that you go on to TikTok and you do you know, you want to do all of these different things, and it can be very frustrating because most people don't care. They care about the price and what it looks like. It's like food, you go to a restaurant. Most people aren't thinking about is it organic when they go out to eat there, like was it good? So my question to you is why does it need to be cotton and soy? And these are things that are important to you and you guys live in LA and you're educated about these topics, So how do you convey that and also make the price point hit to justify it when a lot of people don't necessarily care.
Speaker 5: Well. I feel like personally, especially in my generation, to like all natural is becoming more important to.
Speaker 3: People, and it's really important to me.
Speaker 5: So yes, I wanted to make products that I feel good about and like, I have burns on my legs and this lotion I love and I use and like it's so moisturizing and it's so great, and so I wanted to make sure that these are products that I felt comfortable using. Like I only say it's not all natural and only as natural as it can possibly be, because of course there's a few things we need to add in the product to make it.
Speaker 2: Because its yeah, exactly making oatmeal strong.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be comfortable putting harsh chemicals on the burns.
Speaker 3: On my body.
Speaker 5: But these products I know I can trust every time, and I love them. And I feel like it's also so hard to find creams this thick at this price point like this.
Speaker 2: I call it rich bitch creams.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: I mean it's because Bethany, you probably know, like, uh, there are creams out there that I.
Speaker 3: Love, but at our fifty Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Fiel with perfumes No. Two hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I end up not using them because because.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's true nice.
Speaker 4: I don't want to know you would have wait for the special day to use that cream. So we wanted to do something to make something that.
Speaker 3: You feels special every day.
Speaker 1: But are you able to convey that because the like, for example, I have a wine called Forever Young, and it's from Provence, and it's a legitimate woman who's a French woman who I partnered with, and the winery does millions of bottles a year and all these there's a whole story behind it, but it's sometimes hard to convey the story. Like I know the story and the story lives and breathes in every bottle, but every person doesn't know the story of the.
Speaker 2: Song Forever Young.
Speaker 1: Coming on when I was studying it, you up to live in France, Like, it's hard to convey a story through a product with what they're seeing, So how are you conveying that story?
Speaker 3: We would just be through our brand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we we have. We have a friendship with water Keeper Alliance, so we have pledged to make donations to them and support them because they really care about clean water and cleaning up the oceans, rivers, lakes. So that's on our website. So if if someone was interested, they could see that, you know, and and that will be part of our story moving forward, especially with social media when we do something with them. But you're right, a lot of people it's been important for us, like you're saying, to use cotton wicks and soy wax, and but a lot of people aren't paying attention or don't exactly quickly, they're moving quickly. They just want to know how does it smell exactly, how does it make you feel? So that's where we start, because that's why the cotton wigs are important. That's why the soy wax is important, because when you use these candles, it smells good and it doesn't have a chemical smell. It's not seeing, you know, toxins in the air, which by the way, I didn't even know there were candles that release toxins when you burn them. But that's been part of my learning experience and now now I know that, and now when I'm around other candles that are made differently, I can tell, oh, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's good, that's exactly right. So for you to at least just know is the first, Like know what they want and marry that with what you want and try to mix that together.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and I think too that we've been able to do that our uniquely good price.
Speaker 3: Point you've been able to use. I mean, yeah, we're all yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: I feel like that is where people can sometimes start to you know, I think it's not as important because I feel like products do get more expensive as they get more clean, Yeah, which can be the case.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's where a brand like Elf does a good job. It's yeah, all and clean.
Speaker 1: That's like a brand that's doing that where you wouldn't if I when I started this a year and two months ago, I would have bet anything that Elf was not a clean brand, just because it seemed like it was so accessible and reasonable in the drug store. And I know this sounds like a ridiculous thing to say, but like organic brown rice, for example, if you're eating something is not expensive, neither are beans, and they're very healthy. It's you get all complicated and order and get these other like truffle mac and cheese dishes that you buy in the supermarket in the freezer section, and they have ten thousand ingredients, but a lot of things that are inexpensive or simple. I know this is also a bad example because it's not organic, but Frito's have three ingredients corn oil and salt, salt. They're more healthy than like many of like the sun chip type products that are marketed as healthy but not really healthy if that happen, right, have so many different ten thousand ingredients processed in a certain way, but it looks on the front of the bag like it's a sun chip, so you're in the sun being healthy, where I'd rather eat a Freedo that has three ingredients. That's right, It's just interesting. The thing is that marketing, that's what I'm talking about. The influence we're talking to shows influenced because no one in the world would if you ask a one hundred people on the street, they would think Sunship's are more healthy than FreeDOS and they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so you know.
Speaker 1: Or like the gluten free vegan vegan Keto cauliflower puffs versus just like any tortilla chip that is corn oil and salt. But those are all these marketed healthy products that have ten thousand ingredients. So it's just it's something that has to be conveyed in the messaging. It's not you know, people overcomplicate things that can be simple.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, like our lip bomb is one hundred percent natural and it has very few ingredients and it smells good, it feels good. But yeah, that will you're right, Bethany, and you're talking to one of our media experts as I.
Speaker 3: Point to her.
Speaker 4: That'll be our challenge, you know, and it's hopefully is a fun one to get all those messages out in a way that people respond to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and do you have a hero item? I mean it's like Stacy's Peda Chips was a sandwich cart business and the leftover bread was made into peda chips just because it was cold and the only thing that could never run out of was bread. And I love that story because she sold for two hundred and fifty million dollars the peda chip business, which was not even the main business. And many of these brands, one thing pops off of all their products because in order to be in these businesses, you have to have so many SKUs because retailers want you to have so many SKUs. You're not going to be necessarily an altar or Sphora, Maybe you will, but places like that needs you to have so much products. You're churning out product just to be able to be in the game. You know, you can't have one little lip bomb get lost on a shelf at Target. So you're making a bunch of different things and you don't necessarily know what will hit. But sometimes you have an idea about what's going to be the hero item. Does that make any sense? Like health Halo Glow was a hero item, it went viral, it was a major thing. So what's your hero item if you know it?
Speaker 4: Well, well, I guess we'll find out. But right now it feels like it's gonna it's our our creams in these tins we have. We're getting ready. They're coming out in a glass with bamboo that will be a more yeah, beautiful countertop. Large, Yes, but these tins are really cute.
Speaker 2: And you can stick there too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can stick them in your bag and you can take them anywhere. Our lip bomb also comes in the little tins. So I think you know especially that's generation and I don't need to speak for you, but you know you can. We have four different sense for different fragrances and.
Speaker 2: That's body or that's face too.
Speaker 4: These are just body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah, I get everything, and there aren't that many tins everything. I get everything literally, probably like you've never even you can't imagine. I know everything about something I knew nothing about a year or two months ago. I know everything. It's not everything because it's constantly changing. It's so crazy the innovation every day from these brands. But I don't see a lot of tins. The only tins I've seen is Revolution made these cheek bombs. But I don't see a lot of tins and I definitely don't see creams and tins.
Speaker 2: So that's positive.
Speaker 1: Bombs sometimes in a tin, but not even really more like jars.
Speaker 2: I look like that. Yeah. So, and bombs are.
Speaker 1: Huge, just so you guys know, bombs are massive, meaning just lip body face lensing bombs are massive. Yeah, because you can feel it, you can feel the moisture and it's got a consistency that's different.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Also, we have our candles come in tins. There's they're a little bit larger, but they they also come in tins and you can stick them in your bag and you can take them to your boyfriend's apartment.
Speaker 2: Or a hotel or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, which I think is really fun and exciting.
Speaker 2: And I think like that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think those will those will set us apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see a lot of that either. I've seen a glossy ten probably has a I've seen some, but not a ton.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's always just think the quality of this lotion and the fragrance is just so phenomenal.
Speaker 3: I'm like such a super fan. I feel I can talk about it all day, but I do think you want to be.
Speaker 4: Talking about it all day, going to be talking about.
Speaker 1: Another thing you should do, is you know, affordable fragrances. That's that's a very people are obsessed with fragrance. It's so confusing, it's so prown that.
Speaker 3: So that would definitely be something fun to explore.
Speaker 4: But in what but in what way? Like roller or are you talking about spray or anything?
Speaker 1: I would say no, rollers don't last long enough. I would say a spray or do something different, do a fragrance bomb or something that you know that you that that could be sort of almost roll on, you know, like a bomb maybe, or just a spray. But that's affordable because drug store there's nobody's cracked into the drug store fragrance. It's either expensive or drug store like cheap and press.
Speaker 2: Yeah or exact Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sol Gennioceno has done a good job.
Speaker 4: I mean it goes back to what you're saying about what people care about, because even when we've talked about fragrances or roll ons, then you're then the roller ball is going to be plastic and is that oh you know, yeah, well they have met No, they have metal ones, they have metal ones, they have they have metal ones and that yeah, and maybe you could do it so it's like also little massage your neck or something like the way they do the rollers with the essential oils.
Speaker 1: What about social media? How how in meshed or each of you in social media? And how prepared are you and how much is that part of your strategy? And are you en meshed in tick beauty TikTok?
Speaker 2: Are you like down the hole? Do you live in that planet or no?
Speaker 5: Right now, I'm pretty much primarily running the social media as the Instagram is mostly what I focus on, So the soft launch has been super great for that too. Just navigating that because I prior to this, I didn't really have any professional experience running a social media account, but the TikTok of it all we haven't totally explored, just because I feel like we've been so busy with like the other logistical things and just I wanted to make sure that the Instagram was good so that people could just type it in and go to it and it would just be there already, like plenty of posts to go look at that like give a good idea of who we are and like what our brand is. So the TikTok we haven't really dived into because I do feel like it's a thing kind of on its own, but definitely going to be.
Speaker 3: Exploring that space.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely going to be exploring that space though, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we lived in that ward. I lived on that.
Speaker 1: Planet for months. Its power is something you cannot even comprehend. It is another level. It makes make up artist into celebrities. It makes brands famous that you've never heard of in your life. I'd never heard of Patrick Talk or Say or Drunk Elephant or Sol Gennio in my life. I never really know I saw Elf at the drug store. I didn't really know that it's a world. YEAHOK, is crazy.
Speaker 4: We want advice? I would love to hear your advice about it, and she's you know, Kad is on TikTok a lot, and she watches a lot of you watch a lot of beauty TikTok.
Speaker 2: Who do you follow? Who do you let's? I'll give you your only because you just asked me.
Speaker 3: That's the thing. I feel like I am more. I don't.
Speaker 5: I find myself using social media recreationally less as as an individual, So I'm not really spending hours on TikTok, just falling into the rabbit hole as I once did. So I feel like that's kind of where I'm trying to get back into that and see what content.
Speaker 4: She said, don't get that, don't get in the rabbit hole. Okay, tell us no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I listen.
Speaker 1: For you personally and your personal mental health. Do I want you down the rabbit hole of TikTok?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: So, as like a parent, I'm saying no, because it's obsessive and it's insane. As a business person, it's the power of it is on is on is immeasurable. I'll tell let me just tell you this, Okay. I created the fastest growing look or brand in history at the time with Skinny Girl. It started the whole entire celebrity alcohol crates. There were a couple of brands like Sammy Hagar and things that you don't know that much about. None of them were like gargantuan. Skinny Girl was the first. And it's all celebrities like George Clooney rushing in after and all the people that are in alcohol after me. Okay, so like I've been through that. I was on Housewives, you know that, Like that was massive. I've been through that. I've been through three hundred million dollars in relief work worldwide. People used to say, you're doing the Lord's work. I've been through that nothing. I have never ever been more famous than I am now, and it's weird.
Speaker 2: A year ago, I was making jokes to my fiance, going, I think this could be like a weird thing.
Speaker 1: This could be a thing fourteen million views on it, dan post and whatever, and I thought it was like a stupid little thing.
Speaker 2: And he's joking.
Speaker 1: He's like, Lol, you're already well known. I'm like, no, I think somebody's going on. I think I'm a beauty influencer now, and you look at me like you're fucking nuts. Sorry for cursoning.
Speaker 4: So oh yeah, she's never heard that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, so so yeah, you never heard that word, and I'm so so. Then we walk into Marshall's one day and I'm attacked in there, attacked like I'm Justin Bieber and I'm looking at Paul and he's like, I'm like, I'm the Justin Bieber. I told you these are my people. So now that was like probably a year ago with him. He and I just got back from Europe. I get stopped on the street thirty times a day.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the Lord's work. But I'm like, relief work.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: But but the Instagram and the tiktoks with people from thirteen to seventy five. So I have never been more well known than now. I have never made I have never been more successful, including all this stuff I was doing. So I'm telling you it's insane. It's power full, it's obsessive, it's unhealthy, but it's unnecessary evil.
Speaker 5: That's why I hadn't gotten or just I really wanted to make good content on TikTok that displayed our products. I wanted to make it good, but I was so focused on the Instagram right now, and I knew the power of it that I wanted to make good content. So that's honestly why I haven't been churning stuff out yet.
Speaker 3: I mean, with our launch and it being.
Speaker 5: So like slow and steady, I feel like we've been able to kind of But that's definitely the next thing.
Speaker 2: But don't overthink it. What is what I'm trying to say to you too? You overit?
Speaker 4: We want to hear yeah, because you because your stuff, Bethany. I think why people respond to It's disaster is that is that you were just coming at it in an honest way. You know, you do posts where you're not. You don't have your hair and makeup done, you don't have perfect lighting. You're just saying, look, I just tried this. It doesn't work. I just tried this, and I love it, and it only costs fifteen.
Speaker 1: I went to culinary school for food and healing. This morning I made an omelet with tostito sucea my favorite thing, and a piece of brims rubber cheese from the barbecue in an omelet, and everyone's obsessed with it. I went to culinary school. I mean, I'm making freakin' but that's what TikTok is. So it's not about Instagram. Feed is about what you're talking about. Make it look nice, this whole thing, and so I'm not that great at that. Okay, reels can be something that can be its own animal. But you can also repurpose TikTok stuff over there. TikTok can be your you know, TikTok is your sort of test case over there, and then you can bring it over to Instagram if it works. But you cannot overthink it, and it doesn't have to be you don't want to look perfect. Just go throw some spaghetti up against the wall and see what sticks. It may not stick, and it can be very defeating. I didn't understand TikTok for years, Like I don't understand what this is. I don't know how I relate to it. I don't get it. And you keep throwing spaghetti against the wall and it doesn't work one day, one weird thing. So do not overthink it because it's for crazy people, so you can't. It's not for smart people. It's for weird people like me.
Speaker 4: So are like, you're right, it's just it's emotional. People just want to connect with. It's what you can connect with. Just and you can't. It's like you're saying you can't. A team of people can't sit down, Bethany, here's what you should try, because that's not it's you're not going to be able to figure out what connects with people that way.
Speaker 2: No, and you may not be great at it. I'm not great.
Speaker 1: You may not be greated and you may not even be graded it after a year and you'll figure it out, and then you may just have to be check the box and have some content there just to have a presence there. You know, that may be it too, and it may not be about you. You may end up developing relationships with other influencers and they move your product. It's not the people themselves that are moving their products, it's the other people. So you know, like it's making it viral, it's making it look like it's real. I mean there's a lot of lying on TikTok too, a lot of lying, a lot of people that are influencers that are paid, but they may not be paid in that particular post. So you think it's real, like most of it's a commercial. So you have I'm not saying you have to do all this. I'm just saying you have to know all this, right, you have to know all this. You don't have to do it all. You just have to understand the business you're walking into.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very intense the beauty space, and you have to be saying something different, but not just for the sake of it. It has to be like what why is this different? Like what's really different? It's crowded, Yeah, but there's a lot of money in it and people have a voracious appetite for it.
Speaker 2: So that's the good news.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, you got to get the messaging and the truth of the story. But like you said, Cheryl, it is about connecting. So you got to find a way to connect through the story and the products. And they can't touch it, they can't feel it, they can't smell it. You're just talking about it or showing it. So you've got to find the way to convey that message. But it's very powerful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got to work cut.
Speaker 3: Out for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just got to shake up the snow globe and not overthink process. You got to always think the business and the person who's making the decisions and the contracts and the problems and the exposure that you could have. If something goes wrong, you have to think about that stuff, but you don't have to overthink that the this stuff. Yeah, exactly, you know, but you got to push it through with that pr like none, like you've never done in your life.
Speaker 2: Like you have to be an animal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, that is our next phase. Our first phase was our first animal. Our first phase was to make sure we have our products, you know, and that they're perfect and great and beautiful and we.
Speaker 3: Know every detail.
Speaker 4: And then now exactly what you're talking about, that's our next phase.
Speaker 1: You have to be Susie and Larry, not your character on curb your enthusays.
Speaker 2: You have to be an animal screaming and not.
Speaker 1: Not that you have to convey it that way, but the essence of a yeah, full on.
Speaker 4: We got to be we have to be aggressive about this this part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you, Yeah, one hundred percent, or find somebody else to be aggressive about it.
Speaker 2: You know what, however you're gonna get Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I hope that wasn't like too much, but it's I really do this is one thing. And by the way, I'm not even entering into the space everyone thought I was doing this because I I wasn't doing it.
Speaker 2: I didn't do it on purpose. I was just playing around.
Speaker 1: But I am not launching anything, and I've been approached by every single brand I could imagine. It's scary, but I do know it now, so really, you know, get an education on It's fascinating, but it sounds really good.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: The two of you are beautiful, you're natural, you you know, live in the world of health and wellness, and you're forward facing. I think there's a lot there, and the story is good. And it's a mother I mean, there aren't that many mother daughter duos too. It's a great that's a great part of the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we like that part of the story. See it worked. He's right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great part of the story. So I would say, crystallize your story between the mother daughter, between the clean as possible and the actual good product results and figure out how that can be in a paragraph and that your publicists should be pushing that out and that should be what like everybody understands about the brand that like is a three bullet point story. Those three things are the only things that matter. That you two the clean, good products and why that's important to you as a mother and a daughter. Connect that to the first part of the story, and then but you have to love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and I do so I feel like that's honestly, just perfecting the products has made me like twenty million times more excited to put it out there because if I love it, I have a feeling everybody else will Because I am so picky and specific, we just well, then.
Speaker 1: You both love it, yeah, because that's what's going on in TikTok Moms and Daughters. It's a lot of mom talk and Instagram and it's a lot of young girls that are being influenced, even to my daughter's age. So if you can capture that with the two of you, where that converges, it's going to be really great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the two generations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and something that both of you actually like. There are things that my daughter and I both like. There are things that we both don't like.
Speaker 4: Right, Like that's been uh, that's been part of the the path, right because sometimes I will say, oh, what about this, and she'll say that's doesn't speak to me, that's not cool, or yeah, it's like nobody's that's not what people are thinking about. So it's so I hear her, and you know, so it's been this development of finding these four fragrances that we both really love and these products that we both really love. So so yeah, it is that that is pretty fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's part of the learning curve, but that's also part of the story and also most importantly the bond between you two that you found something to connect with each other and talk about and be passionate about. But I also it could be fun and girly. I mean you could go to Paris and you know, go test fragrances together, you know, like and make it like a workshop.
Speaker 3: Sounds like we should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean, done and done. Yeah, yes, exactly, Yes, research absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think that's just good. Yeah, no, it's really true.
Speaker 1: Like what's going on over there, you know, what's happening in Asia. They're experts on beauty things like that. Those are places that have things before we do.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, amazing, awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm really excited for you and I wish you the best of luck, and I'm I think it's beautiful and I'm really inspired and I can't wait. I can't wait to see the products and see what happens next. Thanks guys, always amazing to meet you and go up.
Speaker 4: Thank you, my bye.