Speaker 1: Cut open that Dj Moore episode Touchdown Touchdown Pair. I am Jeff joniaclitz Is on dot ee co U.
Speaker 2: What was like playing for coache Gooddom.
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble.
Speaker 1: Dot cos motes Sweat Yes.
Speaker 3: Bears et Cetera brought to you by Miller Lte with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: Well, we had quite a show at Soldier Field on Saturday, the home opener of the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 4: Preseason style.
Speaker 1: The only home game is that You're ready out of move into Kansas City on Thursday night. I'm Jeff Joniac with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer and this is the Bears et Cetera Podcast number eighty six. The episode is brought to you by Miller ESPN analyst. Former glen Bard West High School football star, University of Iowa safety.
Speaker 4: His name is Matt bow.
Speaker 1: He played for the Saint Louis Rams, he played for the Packers, he played for Washington, ended his career with Buffalo, and now he coaches at Icy Catholic Prep as well and has four kids. He's a busy man, always with a smile on his face and one of the best analysts out there to talk football. We're gonna break down some of what happened in the game against the Bengals at Soldier Field. First, Tommy, how you feeling, buddy, Oh.
Speaker 5: I'm feeling good. Ready to go, Excited to have Matt.
Speaker 3: It's always interesting to talk to a football expert, analyst to just see what he sees in the NFL and with the Bears.
Speaker 4: Well, one thing I forgot about Matt. Matt, he played safety in the NFL.
Speaker 1: But you were also recruited to Iowa potentially as a quarterback.
Speaker 4: Correct I was.
Speaker 6: I wanted to be the next Chuck Long. That was my dream, next Chuck Long in Iowa. Well, Chuck played at week North. The funny thing about that is two years later, Chuck ends up being my defensive.
Speaker 2: Back coach at the University of iowad wow so.
Speaker 6: And it's funny how things work. But I went there as a quarterback. I played my first year on the scout team red shirt under Hayden Fry, and I got hit like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 2: So Coach Fry when he had a red jersey and this is nineteen ninety five. That did not matter.
Speaker 6: And starting defense, you know, because you understand, guys, back then, teams are still running the triple options. I'd be the triple option scout team quarterback. And like we were preparing for Iowa State that week, and I pitched the ball three seconds later, I'd be on the ground. Okay, there was no protection back then. So I played my first year in the scout team. And then we were going down to l Passo to play Washington in the Sun Bowl. And I went into Chuck Long's office and I said, coach, what do you think about me playing quarterback? He said, do you want to play on Sundays meaning the National Football They said, yes, I do. He goes, it's not going to happen a quarterback. Come play defensive back for me. And then I switched over to defensive back, played behind two NFL guys, Damian Robinson, Kerry Cooks. I tell the kids, I coach, now, look, I had to wait. I had to wait three years post high school to really play. You know, red shirt played on special teams, the red shirt fresh and my sophomore year in Iowa, I was, you know, the sub package that dime safety. But you know, back then, there wasn't many You weren't in subpackage a lot of the times, right, you still had pro personnel. It wasn't wide open until Drew Brees got to produce. So I had to wait my time. But it was the best thing that happened to me. I'd tell young kids all time, the best thing that happened to me in college was to develop the right way to take the proper time in the weight room, to build my body, to build my football intelligence, learn how to watch tape, and then be finally prepared physically and mentally to go play Big ten football.
Speaker 5: Hey, Matt, real quick before Jeff jumps back in.
Speaker 3: So back when I started college, we had freshman games. I don't know, did you come from the ear where you had freshman games or was that? Are we on two different age levels?
Speaker 6: No, I mean we didn't have freshman games time. But on Fridays we would were called hawk hitters. Okay, so that was like the freshmen gat the red shirt guys would play, you know when you got cold out inside the bubble and there was like no rules. It was like the wild West. I mean there was no reps. I mean quarterbacks are live and it was it was out of control. But yet my fallal in law played to u of I played with buckets at yu EVA and he always tells me that when they had their freshman games back then and he played in the roles. Weall know what year that was with buckets. But yeah, you told me about the freshman games as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we played like Wisconsin, We played Michigan State, you know, freshmen teams that we would travel and they would travel, and it was you know, it was our first exposure into a real four quarter gameplay before we eventually made it up to the varsity line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my question if you played other teams as opposed to intersquad, so it was not inter squad.
Speaker 5: Not for us.
Speaker 3: We are kind of fortunate to play teams that were in close enough proximity that we could either drive to or they could drive to. And it was a great experience actually, and our families got to come and watch them, and it wasn't something they charged for. It was like they let the student body in free and it was kind of fun.
Speaker 1: What were you playing then, because you started out, didn't you play some tight end as well?
Speaker 4: Our defense?
Speaker 3: No, I was My first varsity action I ever got was at full back, and then I started playing defensive line. But in the freshman games, I was playing offensive guard.
Speaker 4: So but you were a fullback.
Speaker 3: Well, so this is what happened my fresh my freshman year against USC. We put in a formation where where we had myself as an offensive lineman in Todd Brouney, who was also an offensive guard who played out at Marion Catholic, and they put us in a double full back halfback formation and we had linebacker responsibilities.
Speaker 5: And that's the play that was the.
Speaker 3: First time I ever entered UH major college game was against USC, and I blocked Chip Banks and uh it was It was the kid need introduction to the major college football.
Speaker 1: Jip Banks a outstanding Cleveland Browns outside linebacker, very very good player. Do you remember your first snap in a Big Ten game?
Speaker 2: Met I do.
Speaker 6: It was my freshman year. It was late in the game. We were playing Northwestern at home. I remember that, you know, because I played. I mean I remember the special team stamps for the first snap of defense. Really, it was my fresh year against Northwestern Freezing at Kentnick Stadium. I did not do very well. I'll tell you that I was all over And I tell you again, I always go back to coaching the high school kids. But you can't really prepare for it, right because all of a sudden, your heart rate elevates, like you just can't control it. You're so excited, so nervous, and you're like, Okay, where are my eyes supposed to be? Who am I supposed to be reading? And all of a sudden, I'm taking fall steps. I'm all over the place. So it takes time, you know, just like the I remember my first snap. This is a good story. So my first nap in the NFL preseason game against the Raiders at the Dome in Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: First kickoff of the preseason, right, and I.
Speaker 6: Go flying down that I make the tackle at the fifteen and you know, I chopped this guy at the thigh boards. I'm getting up Malk's side. I run back to the sideline. I go all you guys got to go again, go again. There's a penalty. I'm like, on who like it was on you. You were five yards outside. We paused the tape in the meeting room on Monday morning or Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: We got back and I mean I was literally four and a half five yards off side. I don't, but I'll tell you what I mean. It helped. Coaches loved it, and coaches loved to hit. So I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Tom. Your first NFL snap, you remember it.
Speaker 3: Outside of kickoff return? It was in against the Minnesota Vikings. And you know, I think everybody has when you're in a backup role. Coach Stanfeld came up to me and said, hey, Becker tweaked his knee.
Speaker 2: You're in.
Speaker 3: And so I went in and I had My first snap was against Scott Studwell for the linebacker for the Minnesota Vikings, and we ran a play to the left and I had to take a hard angle to cut him off. And I think the first play I was in there, I cut him. The blossom the great friends, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You guys.
Speaker 1: You guys are still friends. You guys are still friends every time you see him. This Bears, Etc. Podcast is brought to you by Miller Lite Tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two cars per twelve ounces. For a guy who never would have ever dreamed of having a shot taking an NFL snapped these little stories I always get a kick out of, and I never know when they're gonna pop up. So thanks few thanks for allowing me to go down that path. Gentlemen, all right, Matt, let's dig in. I know Tom's gotten through the tape probably ten times already, because that's what he does, and you do as well. Caleb's a big story right now. He's splattered all over the networks here this morning, on ESPN, on NFL Network, a lot of people writing about him, a lot of people are putting a picture on him on X next to Patrick Mahomes. And that's what makes me crazy. I want him to be Caleb Williams. I don't want him to be Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers anybody else. But he certainly has those traits, does he not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has undeniable talent. I remember writing that one.
Speaker 6: I watched his college tap at USC. I always use the term uncoachable traits. He has a lot of that and stuff that if I'm in a position coach, I can't really teach. I can teach footwork to drop, the mechanics, where to put your eyes, release point, but the stuff he does outside of structure I think that's what we're really getting at here, especially last week in Cincinnati in that final drive of the first half, making those plays, even the play that didn't count on the past to dudes Indienzeo, and that was an absolute laser off platform working into the boundary. Okay, as a player, I wouldn't even have the confidence to make that throw, right. That's another thing about this guy. It's the confidence level he has. Such a young player that I can make these type of throws.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 6: Biggest developmental arc for him will be playing on time in the national football it's every young quarterback, right, can you play time? Can you throw with rhythm? And I think there's ways that Shane Walton, Bear's new offensive coordinator, can script that for him, whether it's off of play action, a lot of movement Tom. You know, they've seen a lot of movement passes in the first two weeks, meaning a lot of boot, a lot of flash and getting into the edge of the formation which kind of cuts the field in the half form and gives them defined reads, you know, a level read underneath option or a cross or coming over the top. And I think that will be the next progression for him. But right now what you're seeing, there's a reason he went Number one is the reason that people in Chicago should be accepted because he can make plays when things go south, and that's a tool that is important in addition to the poison, In addition to the mechanics and all the stuff we talk about the quarterback position being able to create when you have to make a play that elevates people at the position, and he has those tools.
Speaker 5: You know, Matt.
Speaker 3: One thing that I think the team's going to have to pay attention to, especially Chris Morgan, the offensive line coach. When I go back and watch a tape, it's teaching pass protection to the offensive line because you're not always guaranteed, even though you're calling a specific directed protection that the quarterback is going to be there. Now, you got to start telling these guys, look, you got to play to the whistle because you may think that he's to your outside shoulder, but he's.
Speaker 5: Already scrambling right.
Speaker 3: And I think that's going to be interesting to see the progress of the Shane Walder and Chris Morgan coaching time frames that are directly related to the way Caleb sees things.
Speaker 6: No, I agree with that and to your point, Tom, that's going to be a progression, that's going to be something that it has to be developed, and you really need live game reps for that, right Tom, It's one thing to do in practice. We all know that. That's why I like that he's playing. And I wanted to mention that because there's a lot of coaches around the league that sit their starters right for all of August.
Speaker 2: There's one coacher doesn't.
Speaker 6: That's Andy Reid and Philip in KMPA City and any Reads won a lot of football games. Patrior Maholls won a lot of football games. The Super Bowl titles and nurse are after playing. So I like the fact that Caleb Williams got extra reps. Even when some of the guys came out this past Saturday, DJ Moore is out of the football game, He's still out there playing because he needs those reps.
Speaker 2: He needs to work with.
Speaker 6: Him starting offensive line, with some of the backups too, because Tom, as we know about the course of the season, there's gonna be guys to get banged up and the backups are going to play.
Speaker 2: But that is a progression, Mark right there, that will.
Speaker 6: Probably take and you would know better but I'm just speculating here the month of September right until everyone is comfortable working with his style of play because it is so unique because of his creativity.
Speaker 3: You know, I believe that to get together with your offensive line, if you have the luxury of having the same five guys, you need to have a thousand reps behind center in order to get familiar with the cadence. All right, let's travel to the defensive side of the ball. Now you're a defense you're a new defensive back coach, and you're playing against Caleb. What coverages is Caleb going to see initially that maybe they disguise the before.
Speaker 5: The snap of the ball.
Speaker 3: What are the coverages that make the most difficult for him to read downfield?
Speaker 5: What do you think about that?
Speaker 6: I think he's going to see the picture change quite a bit when we get to week one and that first, you know, quarter of the season. What I mean by that is a lot of late safety rotation. I would always start in a quartershell against Caleb, and I wrote take the safeties, whether spend one down week, drop one as a robber to take away crossers and over outs, but really try to make him read the new picture. Post snap, and I think he got some of that in the Week one preseason game against Buffalo. I think Buffalo did a really good job of changing coverages. They went from single high to too high. They threw in some two man also, and I think that's gonna be a progression for him as well as being able to read the coverages as quickly as that happened in the National Football League, because if I'm playing against a rookie quarterback, I'm gonna throw a lot at him, both coverage, both pressure missed the fronts to try to make him read it out. I I got to gain an advantage somewhere. But you also have to be careful because Caleb Williams has the mobility we always talk about, the arm tail and the throws.
Speaker 2: He can make all platform. He could run the ball too.
Speaker 6: So if you're gonna play two men, if you're gonna play man covers and you do not contain him, that is a major.
Speaker 2: Issue from a defensive perspective.
Speaker 6: So in the back of my mind is a defensive play caller, I'm thinking, why really like two men in this situation?
Speaker 2: But if he gets outside, we're in trouble. First out. That's plus fifteen.
Speaker 6: That's plus twenty yrs now because he can do so much as a runner as well.
Speaker 1: We are also sponsored by Busy Heart Seltzer Flavors for every vibe Celebrate Responsibly most Cors Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. You guys are taking all my questions because I had I wanted perspective of an offensive lineman and how they have to adjust as time goes on. And that's why they like mobility and these guys, Tommy. They want these guys to be able to get off the ball, not only just to get the second level and be onto the run game, get those tackle sweeps, the pulls. They want these guys to be athletic enough to be able to handle with Caleb Williams and previously Justin Fields delivered in terms of their mobility. And then from the safety perspective from you, Matt Jones on this roster, who his responsibility at UCLA against usc was to spy this particular quarterback, Caleb Williams. Can an NFL defense afford a spy on Caleb Williams because he does not want to run. He can run, and that's the difference. The late eyes all the way to the end, of the play. Uh, do you waste a defender on that potential mobility impact?
Speaker 6: Well, I'll say this, I've always I've always thought this about a spy. It looks great, right, it looks great on a chalkboard, looks great. It looks great in Friday practice, right, because Friday practice everything works. We used to we try to spy one time on Michael Vick. It did not work, okay, because he just ran past the guy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: It was we're wasting a number, and that's what you're doing. This is the defense where you're giving up a number, right, whether it's a rusher or someone encourage to do this.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think there's certain situations. I would try it against Caleb Williams, but also you have to have something that can match him athletically. You have to have something like a Rumblinton has a pursuit pursuit speed and the lateral agility to cut off the football when he escapes outside the pocket. I do think you'll see it at times, Jeff. But again, if I'm playing against Kleb Williams, I'm more concerned about the rush clogging interior rush lanes, trying to force him to stay in the pocket.
Speaker 2: Than putting a spy on him.
Speaker 4: Tom, you agree one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: You know, I think there's certain guys like Matt mentioned Mike Vic and I think Lamar Jackson justin fields. I think they're unspiable because you're not going to have an athlete that's going to be able to match up with those guys when you consider what their straight line speed is, especially if they know where they want to go before the defender does, and if he's respecting the middle of the field. But you know, with a guy like Caleb, I think guys in I think bodies and coverage will play a bigger role early in his career than trying to spy him. And you've got to rely on what type of pressure you can provide to him.
Speaker 5: You know, Matt.
Speaker 3: Throughout the course of training camp, the Bears play a four man line. The teams that they play in the preseason play a four man line. Then he's going to play against a thirty four defense the first week of the season. Do you think that there's anything that's changeable in the mind of a young quarterback when he's facing the two fronts or is everything offensive line blocker type controlled.
Speaker 6: I think he's going to see to your point, Tommy, he's gonna ce five man surfaces too. I mean, you're that's one of the kind of the trends in the NFL now too. Teams will play their subpackete for the five man front, so he's gonna see multiple fronts.
Speaker 2: I think this is the situation where he is gonna have to lean on his offensive line. He's gonna have to.
Speaker 6: Help setting protection right because this is all new to him. It's all gonna be new to him, and that's the process when you have a young player at that position. It could be the running back of protection saying no check to this. You know, whatever it may be, that's your job as a teammate in this situation, understanding that you have this young player with a super high talent level. But there's situations that he has never even experienced yet. And like I've said, you can't recreate everything in practice. You can't recreate everything in a preseason setting because you're not gonna see as much as you will in a regular season game. So he's gonna need help in those situations. And again, this is gonna be part of the developmental process for him because a team like Tennessee with a new defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: You can't really study for them yet, you can't.
Speaker 6: There's gonna be things that pop up week one that they've never seen in terms of the quarterback adjusting to something like that, both covered front and rush.
Speaker 1: So I came up with a bunch of a words to describe Caleb the other day because I was getting ready to do an interview for somebody, and you know, they want to know what he's all about. And the things that have popped everything that you see, the awareness the pocket, the spatial awareness in the pocket, the ability to add lib eye awareness. Also because of how he's always scanning and even if they give him half field reads, the guy's still reading full field. What I'm gonna throw one in there that I didn't think of until now is acuity mental acuity. Because you listen to a golfer after they complete their round, they'll tell you every single shot, well club they used, what the distance was, what the wind was doing, and why they did it. They have a great recall for all those shots. Caleb did that Saturday at the podium. What's that tell you about him at this age of twenty two.
Speaker 6: It means he's a highly instinctual player, you know, very self aware, and that's someone that can self scout themselves, which is a very important tool as a college player, more important and professional football player to self scout yourself because understanding what everyone else is watching, you're all watching the same tape. So if you can have that immediate recall what you did, both positive and negative, it's gonna make you a better football player. When you sit down to watch the take take your own notes and say this is why I need to improve, and more importantly, this is where they're going to attack me next week if I don't improve.
Speaker 3: You know, for me as a player, I can take a game, you know, a day, a day after or right after or two days after, and I can replay every play in my head. If I'm as offensive lineman, I'm playing seventy five snaps, I know every one of them, and then I can anticipate a bad play a couple of plays in advance by seeing what's coming up. So I think any player can really go back and have the mental recall of what they're gone through, what they just went through, and their performance and the plays they perform poorly on.
Speaker 4: You know, the funny thing is.
Speaker 1: It just underscores also that this game is not simple and for the average person who's never played at that level or maybe never played football, and to assume that, hey, it's all about catching and throwing and tackling blocking, Yes it is. But the deep dive and the study. And you know, people have told me, everybody's at the team hotel during training camp and it's about to end now they can go on their own, but they have curfew and all that, just like a regular training camp. He's at the hotel, he's studying. I mean, he's out there. He's in his book till all hours of the morning. So he is diving into that book. And so is Tyson Beagent. Let's talk about him because the value of a backup quarterback has never been more underscored than the last two years, when over sixty quarterbacks have been used as starters in the National Football League.
Speaker 4: It's too many.
Speaker 1: We always say, there's not thirty two quarterbacks, how could there be sixty four or in this case last year, sixty six. But Tayson Beagent's value is significant and he feels quite comfortable in this system. You could see it in his practice performance. Matt and Tom and you could see it when he showed it. Just a little tap on the helmet Q Pettis, Boom, they were on the money for two touchdowns, those subtle things.
Speaker 4: How valuable is he right now?
Speaker 3: But you know, these guys are all in the same boat. They're all being introduced to the same system at the same time by Shane Waldron. It's not something like Tyson or Brad or Austin has any more experience in the system than Caleb. And so every one of those guys, if they have superior study habits, can help the next guy. And I think that's important in the quarterback room. Is like Matt says and Dick Stanfeld used to say, Look, I can't always coach you. You're going to have to start coaching yourself. And I think if those guys can help each other master the terminology and then understand what it means against every decent defense, every down and distance, every hash mark they're on in any you know what portion of the game they're at. So I think the quarterback complementary to each other is important.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 2: And I think to that point, these games are so hard to win.
Speaker 6: I always tell people that you know, you prepare all week for three hours on a Sunday.
Speaker 2: Very hard to win these games because the talent level is.
Speaker 6: Very even across the league, so you can't have a major drop off between one and two. Is one more talented in terms of your quarterback room? Obviously he is. That's why he's the starter. There can't be so much drop off. Do you have to change everything when the backup quarterback comes in?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 6: Can Tyson run the same offense as Caleb? That's where you have to ask yourself. If he can, then there's not going to be much of a drop off. Can he come in the fourth quarter, guys and win a football game?
Speaker 2: That's what you need. If Caleb's out for me, can he come in and win that football game?
Speaker 6: That's what you need because these games are so hard to win and the Bears are going to be in the playoff discussion all season long. That's what I believe with this football team. You need a backup quarterback that can come in not only run the system. It's not enough anymore. You have to come in and win football games. If you get that opportunity, We're.
Speaker 4: Brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears.
Speaker 3: But one thing I got to ask because it's Jeff's favorite part of professional football, and that's the corner blitz. And when you look at what the Bears, when you're shaking your head, no yet, no, one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent, I love the nickel blitz absolutely.
Speaker 3: So when you look at what the Bears did defensively this Saturday against the Cincinnati Bengals, I think they had five or six blitzes by the defensive backs and they all got home except one. And then in the course of the preseason, am I showing too much or am I showing that to make sure my opponents in the regular season are prepared for what could possibly happen.
Speaker 6: I think it's a little both. I think you want to put stuff on tape. To your point, we had our final preseason game in two thousand and four, so it was coach gibbs first year back in Washington, and we played in the Hall of Fame game too, So as the starters, we played five games and we were playing Michael Vick and the Falcons. In the second play of the game, we called a double cornerback blitz, okay, and it was Greg Williams, and we all know Greg likes the pressure. But we wanted it on tape. We wanted people to see this that this is what we're going to do throughout the season, is that we're.
Speaker 2: Going to come after you. We want you to prepare for now. Now.
Speaker 6: When we got into the regular season, there was a counter off that same look, right, So I think what coach eber flush is doing is showing people that, yeah, we are gonna pressure this year, but guess what, in the regular season, you're not gonna know where it's where we're blitzing from.
Speaker 2: They can be from anywhere, but we are gonna come after you. I liked it. They did it. One. You need the reps of it. You need the reps for one to time up your blitz.
Speaker 6: You need the cover drops to work if you're playing zone pressure, if you're playing man pressure, you need those reps understanding that football has to come out much quicker. Those are all important defensive parts of a pressure that you need to.
Speaker 2: Rep in a live game setting.
Speaker 6: But I love what they did, and I think coach eber Fluiz, if you go back, I think it was his final year as a DC in Indianapolis, and you look at a third down rate, they're one of the more blitz heavy teams, and I think that's what ultimately he would like to get to. Yes, they're still gonna play cover two, they're still gonna play their single high coverages, but.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna pressure a little bit more this year.
Speaker 4: That's my bet, Tommy.
Speaker 1: We talked about it early because and that happened with Gordon. He's hiding behind a six to six sweat and a six six dexter and they got a stunt and then he here he comes, Logan Woodside never even accounted for him, and he got buried, helmet in his chest. But they couldn't stop it. They kept doing it, and he you know what that guy is a quarterback responsibility?
Speaker 4: Is he not? You know that blitzing nickel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, in that situation, based on the offensive protection and what they're doing, and they're blitzing five, he is unaccountable and he's blitzing to the quarterbacks, you know, front shoulder, and to me, that's on that's on the.
Speaker 2: Quarterback to identify that.
Speaker 6: And off of this, I thought Kyler Gordon played at the regular season Temple. Yeah, he was all over the football gear, all over the football fIF. That's what the starter should do. It doesn't matter who's playing quarterbacks, not Joe Burrow. So what you're a pro, do your job. These are reps for you. If Cincinnati wants to sit their starters, they go produce against their backups. It's not your problem. So I love the way he played on Saturday. If I'm a defensive back coach, I used that as a teaching tool for future training camp. So, look, this is a starter. Okay, he's still on the field. They have their backup set, and he's.
Speaker 2: Still playing like it's Week four in the regular season. That's how you develop as a.
Speaker 3: Proad Matt week four of the regular season, week one of the regular season. Because you have a Jalen Johnson Intrigue Stevenson who are playing at a high level cornerback play.
Speaker 5: Does that give you a little bit more blitz freedom?
Speaker 2: I think it does.
Speaker 6: And I think what Tyre Stevenson did last year in terms of on the ball production, and look, we all know he had some ups and downs beginning the year, right right going to it at that position, they're gonna pick on you, they're gonna target you.
Speaker 2: But look what he did.
Speaker 6: Look how he progressed throughout the season and the on the ball production. That's what you're getting paid for at a cornerback position. Yes, you have to tackle. The set and edgels are very important things. If I'm a defensive back coach and he don't tackle, just comes stand next to me on the sideline, you're not gonna play.
Speaker 2: But the on the ball production wins games. And that's what he did.
Speaker 6: So to your point, Tommy, yes, I think you have two corners that can match up and be physical when they match up. They're very physical in terms of their covered trades. They're not passive players. They will be aggressive. So that gives you more upside in terms of, hey, let's go after from Let's send some more pressure tastes.
Speaker 4: Like midder time.
Speaker 1: Go to Middle of Light dot com slash bears pod to find delivery options near you.
Speaker 4: Celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 1: Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, wisconsint ninety six calories and three point two carbs per twelve ounces. Tom and I have been raving about the secondary for two years and they are playing at an elite level if you ask me, all across the board, and that's without Tequon Brisker. So far, he hasn't been out there for several weeks, hopefully as soon a return. I think it's vitally important he returned as soon as possible. But Kevin byer Is is a KG veteran back there who still feels he can take the ball away. And I mean, you go right down to the undrafted rookie free agent out of Troy Ready Stewart five tackles, it's not too big for him. He puts his face mask in there and makes a stop. He blitzes, he's in pass coverage. They're gonna have some really hard decisions. It's good to have. But it almost as if every one of these guys has taken the queue from Jalen Johnson and about the confidence and the positivity in that locker room and have really played with their hair on fire.
Speaker 4: Is that possible in a.
Speaker 1: Room that one guy can make that kind of a difference to the other ten guys in that room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe it can. I played with a lot of great veterans.
Speaker 6: Todd Light when I was in Saint Louis was our corner, someone that commanded the room, commanded the respect of the room. Champ Bailey and Washington when I was in Washington. It's another player in my opinion, that commanded the room, and there are natural leaders. You want to emulate what they do in practice, how they study, what they.
Speaker 2: Do in the weight room.
Speaker 6: Everything they do really filters out to the entire defensive back room. And I'm not saying it's more important as a coach. The coach is still the leader of the room. We all understand that. But Tom would agree with this. The NFL, in my opinion, is more player driven than ever in terms of who the leaders are, who are the people you follow, who are the high character guys in terms of the football character that you follow, And I half someone like a Jalen Johnson can really boost the confidence and the production of a young player. And I've always said this, you can never have too many defensive backs any rest right, You just can't none. In today's league. You know, the Bears are more sub package with five defensive backs. But we're seeing around the league right now a lot of more teams are using dying too, because what they can do from a pre staff perspective in terms of late rotation, creating matchups they want on the defensive side of the ball, and that's having defensive backs. And also, especially with the new kickoff rule. You need dbats to cover and play special teams.
Speaker 3: You know, Matt, I've been impressed with Jonathan Owens because I really didn't know what to think him coming from Green Bay to the Bears, and whether it's on special teams or regular defense, he hasn't shied away from contact. So when you talk about depth in the defensive backfield, he's a nice luxury to have along with Elijah Hicks and Terrell Smith and the rest of the guys. Because multiple receivers, multiple guys. So when you look at the Bears, I think this Cincinnati game, they started one back, three wide receiver. And when you put Keenan, Allen, Roma, Donza, DJ Moore all on the field at the same time, you're the defensive back coach of any opponent, how do you see defending that group of receivers.
Speaker 6: Well, one, if you're gonna play a man, you better have the matchups. He's got a match up to Cole Comet too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When DeAndre swifts in the field.
Speaker 6: Who I think the Bears targeted because he has more you know, he has pass catching upside, there's no question about that. Now you got five receivers, you have to count for really, so you have to have matchups. It's one thing to say we're gonna play man coverage. Everyone says it, well, you better have the guys, right right, You better have the guys.
Speaker 2: I do think this. I think in the NFL this year is gonna see more press coverage.
Speaker 6: I talked to coaches in the offseason, and I think that's to be a point of emphasis for defensive backs and defense coordinator because you have to disrupt.
Speaker 2: You can't give clean releases. The DJ Moore, a Dunja Keenan Allen expect to win football games.
Speaker 6: They are going to be challenged. But to that point, you better have the guys. The NFL is so quarters based. Now, what I mean by that is the too high safety look because it does give you opportunities to spend coverages and disguise, but also because it allows you to limit explosive players at the top of the defense where you have the inside verticals capped.
Speaker 2: What I mean by that as you have a safety over the top of them. But I would.
Speaker 6: Expect teams that have to play more man against the Bears, especially you know in the money down situations, third and two to six, third and seven to ten, those are the situations you have to win. On defense, you have to I've always said this about defensive stats too, and you know my business, everyone talks about defensive stats in terms of the numbers right and the yard for carryer alloud and passing yards.
Speaker 2: I don't care about that stuff.
Speaker 6: I care about basically two things, points allowed and turnovers created.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: That's all I care about because the end the day that that's what wins football games.
Speaker 1: Busy Heart Seltzer flavors for every Vibe Celebrate response will be Mossen Corps Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and we're brought to you by a P and C official Bank of the Bears. You're an Iowa guy, so you know, we got your punter, Tory Taylor and he's all the rage, and then we got the you know, the so called punt guid and preseason game here on Thursday, Mattaiza from the former Buffalo Bill draft pick and now Kansas City chief. So the importance of that position. Though I know people were pulling their hair out a little bit because a fourth round pick was invested, I could care less. I think if he's a weapon, he's a weapon. I don't care where I take him, and he appears to be He's going to be a weapon. And with a young quarterback with an offense, we don't know how long it'll take to get the wheels running. With a defense that seems like gets ready and is playing at a high level. And then in a return game, excuse me, on a punt, a punter like him that can change field position, he becomes a very important figure here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Would you agree?
Speaker 1: Because last year the Bears were dead lasting net So this will help any by any means to help your quarterback. This punter is going to help.
Speaker 6: It'll help your defense too. Yeah, I mean thinking about that. I mean the Bears what they did over the second half last season. From DEFENSI perspective, they have an opportunity top ten defense this year in my opinion. So if you have someone like Taylor who can put the ball deep in Penn offenses, and you put a top ten defense out there, I guess what, you can get the ball back for your quarterback in favorable field position. Now, LaVar Woods is Iowa special teams quartator, one of my.
Speaker 2: Best friends, and LeVar flew.
Speaker 6: To Melbourne Australia to get Taylor. I remember the store. I remember talking to him. I said, what are you doing because I'm flying to Australia. I said, you gotta be Kidney for what I'm going to get a punter And he went to Australian got him and Taylor is a great hawkke Gy and I said this to your point, Jeff, we spent a fourth round pick.
Speaker 2: No, you spent a fourth round pick on a starter.
Speaker 6: That's what you did, a starter that can change field position to help you win football games. I want to have charac if it was in the third run. You spent a draft pick on the starter. And that's the important thing here is that people always forget about special team, especially throughout the draft process. It's all about offense and defense and playmakers and immediate impact guys. Well, guess what this is? An immediate impact is this someone can step in right now, be a starter and help your football team.
Speaker 2: So I like to pick.
Speaker 6: Obviously I'm biased because I'm a Hawkey, I understand that, but this is someone that can help you win football games. I really think from a defensive perspective, if you're Matt Eberflus, you'd be more willing to say, well, look the way we're playing defensive football right now, let's try to pin him beat and put our top ten unit out there.
Speaker 2: Maybe we take the football away now, or maybe we don't.
Speaker 6: Maybe we get the ball back to Caleb now at the plus forty five yard line and we're gonna start rolling again.
Speaker 3: Well, Matt, you know Notre Dame is taking over his tight end to you. So I just want you to accept that. Secondly, the new kickoff kickoff return rule. Do you think you could play on both sides of the ball or would you be kickoff coverage Maine or what.
Speaker 5: Do you think? What do you think about it all?
Speaker 2: I'm very interested. I like it because of his returns.
Speaker 5: That's what me too.
Speaker 6: It's a play now, right, you needed to play and when I played, the ball was moved back five yards. I think we kicked off from the thirty and there wasn't really no rules. It was the Wild West. There was the four man wedgie run down there, and you say, you know what, this is really going to be uncomfortable. It's just gonna hurt, but I gotta do it anyways, you know, And you're running into guys like you Tom you me had offensive lineman backer, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can't you just run around them? Never?
Speaker 3: I spent my whole career on kickoff return. I couldn't shy away from that contact.
Speaker 2: No, because we run around them, then it's a return run up to guy.
Speaker 4: I'm only kidd you know.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 6: I do like it because you're getting a play now, and I think once we get to the regular season, you will see more counteraction on kickoff return, almost like a split flow.
Speaker 2: Zone when you bend it back.
Speaker 6: And I think you'll see more creativity with the two returners back there in terms of what you can do basic stuff right now.
Speaker 2: But I am for anything that allows someone.
Speaker 6: To earn extra years in the league. And if you can make tackles and special teams, you can stay in the league. So I was really worried they were just completely wipe it away, right, because I'll be honest, I was a starter for a couple of years in the league, But really I made the league and I stayed in the league because I could cover kicks. So I always want to be a part of it. I think it creates opportunity and more importantly, special teams. In my opinion, the best developmental tool for football, especially for defensive players, because you have to play at top speed, you have to use your hands to stack er shed blox, you have to play with the elite vision, and you have to tackle in the open field. Now, obviously that's reduced a little bit, you're still getting those opportunities. And if I'm a coach and there's someone, even in the regular season, keeps making plays on special teams, special teams, special teams, it's a defensive back or linebacker. Eventually got get in reps on defense. Now because they're so productive, they're proving their value so much that I'm gonna give them more opportunity.
Speaker 3: To me that I'm I'm waiting for a special teams coach to be gutsy enough to put offensive a lineman on kickoff return because I think with the proximity, it's like a guard playing against the linebacker. And I think if you can attack and you can create those points of attack, like you were mentioning, I think there's a place on kickoff return for offensive linemen.
Speaker 2: That's a very interesting point.
Speaker 6: And you know, we just talked earlier about the offensive lineman terms out lettics and down how they can move I can pull reach outside and outside don't get to the second level. Well you you can, basically, tom you could run outside zone. Is running outside zone. It's just the you know, the ball here is a little deep. But look, if I'm a defensive back in this situation, in an offensive lineman gets his hands on me, I'm probably not getting them off right. He's probably not in time to.
Speaker 2: Make a play. So it's an interesting point you bring up.
Speaker 1: Well, Kansas City's got an offensive lineman from Marshall last named Driscoll and I saw him out. Uh he's six ' eight and he was out there downfield blocking on a run the other night against Detroit. So yeah, these these guys can These guys can move. They can run Tommy. Before we wrap things up, Karanamagaji on the way back.
Speaker 4: Now he's off the NFI.
Speaker 1: What are your expectations and Matt being at IC, I don't know if you ever had a chance to see Koran play at Hinsdale Central, But we'll start with Tommy.
Speaker 3: I would explore where where does he fit best, Where does he play the most confident, Where does his balance fit his progression the quickest? And then I think that's the one thing that Chris Morgan has done a great job. If you look at a majority of these guys, they play more than one position. So I think you got to get Amagaji fed as many reps as you possibly can over the next couple of weeks see where his template, his body, his athleticism fit in the most competitive scenario you can put him in.
Speaker 6: I would agree with that in terms of what his talent base was, especially on his college team, to watch his college state last year, in terms of his basically his raw talent, in his upside, what he can bring because he has all the physical tools right, the physical tools you want to position. So now it's in the Bears the coaching staffs.
Speaker 2: To develop those tools.
Speaker 6: You'd obviously want them more on the practice field, but you still have time throughout the regular season to develop them, whether it's in practice, whether it's in the film room learning from the veterans, because there's will be a time this year and we all know this where he's gonna have to play meaningful reps for the Bears. That's how it works when you play a long season. If the Bears have a playoff push and get into the dance, that offensive line could look much different in week sixteen than it does then.
Speaker 1: Yep, they got them listed as a tackle, but I think he could do both. But I think you're going to try him left tackle in protect.
Speaker 3: I expect him to be mentally up the speed as soon as he puts his pads on in today's practice, So it's not a learning curve for him because he's been around here since he's gotten drafted.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Lastly, I can't think of two people that love high school football more than Tom Thayer and Matt Bowen. And Matt, I know you've been spending many years now at I see helping out that program.
Speaker 4: What's it mean to both of you?
Speaker 1: And do you see as we continue to hope to protect this sport and the value of what this sport means to young men to have these guys continue to play high school football. I know numbers have shrunk over the years. I don't know if that's going to be threatened even further, or is the influx of flag football going to get more people playing football and the ultimately throwing the pads one day when I don't want to play flag anymore. Matt, how you feel about it and how's your how's your team looking, And Tommy, I'm your thoughts as well.
Speaker 6: I think numbers, you know, I think numbers have remained steady. I know they have for the Catholic schools, especially in the Chicago Catholic League. I think there are numbers in our youth programs here in Elmers who remain steady, almost rising.
Speaker 2: At point. I loved, you know, high.
Speaker 6: School football because I believe it's the last line of competitive innocence.
Speaker 2: So I've always said about it, You're still teaching, You're still developing.
Speaker 6: It is a challenging time for young athletes because of you know, the development you're going through through high school, both academically, athletically and socially. Right, And I think football what it provides and is different for everyone. There are elite competitors who want to play football. There are others that use it to develop a peer base, right to have people to to to join with throughout their high school career, which is very important to some. I'm a strong believer in high school football. I'm now going into my tenth year at I see Catholic coaching my son this year. My son Grant's going to be a freshman for us at ice, which is very important to me to be able to coach him. But it's been one of the most rewarding things for me, guys, and something I really needed.
Speaker 2: You know, I've always said I've been a football guy. Have no problem saying that.
Speaker 6: It's not knocking myself's who I am, but it's very rewarding to me because it gives me something and that I need in terms of having passion for something outside of my family and work.
Speaker 2: And I think everyone needs that.
Speaker 5: I agree one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: My brother coaches the freshman program at Julia Catholic, My nephew's on the varsity staff at Jolia Catholic, and I have a great nephew that's going as an incoming freshman at Jolia Catholic that's going to be a part of the football program. And I do think it's a great lesson for life to be learned when you play a sport that you develop camaraderie. You get some criticism in front of your peers that you have to accept and you have to let it roll off your back because nobody is exempt from getting criticized when you're playing a sport. And I just think it plays an important role in the future life. Look, if you go out your freshman year and you don't want to play anymore, at least you learned a lesson about competitive sports and maybe it can help you in different decisions you make in life.
Speaker 5: So you know, Matt, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We open up with the Little Hawks from Iowa City, Iowa at JLA Catholic.
Speaker 5: We went, We.
Speaker 3: Traveled there last year to play it well, and this is one of my things, Matt. I wish the IHSA would allow schools that are closest to each other to play a majority of games because I think when you challenge the parents that have to travel hours to go see their son or daughter involved in the football game, I think it takes away a little bit of the support of these guys and these ladies that are working hours and hours and now they're trying to get to their sons, sons or daughter's games. So I just wish somehow that teams that were closer to each other were to have more opportunities to play to continue the support in the stands.
Speaker 6: I agree with that, and I'll tell you what. On Joy Cathley, we played JCA outside of conference before we joined the Catholically a bunch of times, and that is a four quarter battle, you Catholic, and you better get ready for power and trap and power and trap over and over again. They are physical, they are nasty, they come off the ball, they are extremely well coached, and those are the games you want to coach it, those are the games you want to play. And that's what the Catholic League provides. In Chicago, you play the big teams. And look, we are the small school in the Chicago Catholicy were the least amount of boys. Right now, we have three hundred and twenty three Toll students, so we have not two way players, but guys that are two ways and also playing special teams. That's just how we have to coach, how we have to prepare. So for us, it is always we accepting the challenge and understand that every Friday night in that conference is going to be highly competitive with very very well coached football taps.
Speaker 4: Well, Matt, you're a book of knowledge.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I feel like you guys are brothers. You guys look the same, Tommy just a little bit older. He's got specs. You guys got a clean dome and a lot of football knowledge, and all you guys do is watch tape. Every conversation we started with, yeah, I watch tape on him. I watch tape on him. And that's what I love about you guys and Matt, you do an unbelievable job. We appreciate you taking the time.
Speaker 6: Well, I appreciate you guys having me on and thanks Matt. What a great Bear season. This will be a fun football team to watch.
Speaker 4: It definitely looks that way. Special. Thanks to Matt and for time, I'm Jeff. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Everybody, please subscribe now on the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcast. Bear Down, Everybody,