Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sarah hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun. From figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life. Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura. This episode is airing in late July of twenty twenty six. We're going to be talking all things decluttering. This is a decluttering blitz of an episode. We happen to know that decluttering is a big topic. Much of my Instagram feed is about people declutter. We see the videos about it, lots of articles in magazines. And it makes sense because having an uncluttered house makes it more functional. I mean, people like to have things where they're supposed to be. There is much joy in opening a drawer and finding your scissors exactly where the scissors are supposed to be, and not surrounded by a million other things that are not supposed to be there. So, Sarah, you had set a goal to declutter your house for many years.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I different variations of that goal, Like sometimes I wanted to do it in a specific way using the organized through sixty five method, which we'll talk about in this episode. Other times I just had a general goal of decluttering different areas.
Speaker 1: And finally, in.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty six, I said I would like to declutter, but I am going to hire a professional to help me do so because I failed this goal too many other times. And as someone who does talk about what to do when you hit roadblocks with goals, I knew that just setting it again was probably not going to be the answer. Yeah, So there we were at the start of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, set it again and we'll talk about that. But real quick, we want to just do a quick life recap because we haven't talked that much in the podcast. We record quite a bit ahead of time. Like you thought you would be in somewhere else right now in late July.
Speaker 2: Correct Sarah, Yes, as this is airing, I should have been like waking up for my last day in Maui and headed to Kawai for this trip. You guys, you listeners have heard about a bunch because it has played an anticipatory role in my life for probably a year now.
Speaker 1: I literally started.
Speaker 2: Booking the hotels over a year ago.
Speaker 1: In fact, the trip even got moved.
Speaker 2: If you were in a student listener, you may know we were going to go in early June and then moved it to mid July because of my daughter's geometry class. But I was so proud that I was able to move it and make it work. The irony is that if we had gone in June, we would have gone on the trip, yep. But we did not go in June, and Annabel is acing jometry, So for what it's worth, there was a good reason for moving the trip. However, in early July, or maybe it was the end of June, obviously end of the end of June, my husband went to a basketball game and I got a phone call and he said.
Speaker 1: I broke my leg. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: And this wasn't even the first time I've been through that exact phone call, which.
Speaker 1: Is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Literally had like that same phone call fourteen years ago when he broke his other leg skiing, But this break actually turned out to be worse it involved the joint. It was shattering of multiple bones that doctors said it looked much more like a motorcycle accident than a basketball injury. And thankfully he's okay. He underwent surgery, he has slowly recovered. Probably by the time this airs, he will be much more recovered. Right now, he's in the kind of early phases to a lot of pain. Will not be weight bearing until August. And we had to obviously change everything about our summer that we had envisioned and that I had spent a lot of time thinking about. So that included our trip and included a lot of processing time. He's obviously out of work. I didn't have to take off too much work. I mean, I've been like helping him, but ar Nanny has been helping him when I'm not there, and so at least that's been pretty okay. And at this point and certainly by the time this errs, I mean, I'm it is what it is like.
Speaker 1: This has been a year of more.
Speaker 2: Disappointments, though than like a normal person should have. Obviously there is no should. I'm still here. Everyone's in one mostly in one piece, like no one who's a horse.
Speaker 1: I mean one piece put together. I mean, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: There's hope for the future. But like so I ended up canceling my trip in July to see Laura and a good friend. I had already missed a conference in San Francisco because my mother in law passed. Like they were all like very much like good reasons, like I couldn't have done it any other way, or I wouldn't have done it any other way. And it's also just added up to a kind of a sucky like it's I've had my own personal COVID year, yeah.
Speaker 1: While everyone else got to have normal. But that's You's a planner, right, you got a new planner so so that you don't have to look at all the stuff that you're not doing well. I did that in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: But yes, I did get a new July to December planner because I couldn't stand the idea of trying to plan my work schedule right on top of my snorkeling and surf lesson.
Speaker 1: Guys, wait, were you going to do the surf lesson? I thought you had decided not to do the surflas.
Speaker 2: So caectate this surf less and I was very excited to do so it was going to be so cool, Like he even told me, like there's a place to sit.
Speaker 1: Like, here's the good news.
Speaker 2: My planning did not go to waste because I have a really well thought out Hawaii trip just waiting to be rebooked. And you guys, my organization helped. Like I was able to find everything very easily, and I have learned to book refundable over the years, so I got pretty much everything back.
Speaker 1: So that part is at least we will.
Speaker 2: Be able to use all that planning for a future Hawaii trip, which I've decided can't happen until next summer because I really want that full two week window and without doing crazy heroics and pulling kids out of school for long lengths of time, that would have to wait till next Summer's Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You'll do something else for spring break, right, you'll do a trip maybe that you would have a spring break.
Speaker 2: You're exactly like trying to make up for the fact that, hey, like our vacation coffers will be a little more full than we might have expected for twenty twenty seven. Let's see what kind of really special things we can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exciting. Well, best slide Plans, life happens, and we're amazed how resilient Sarah has been about all this. But anyway, so that's a life update there. But as part of that, you are home more, you are having more time to declutter. So we can pivot from there to your decluttering journey. So back in January, you hired somebody to come help you, right, What was the thinking with that?
Speaker 2: Yes, So, as I've talked about, if you're setting a goal over and over again and you're not changing any of the variables associated with that goal, you're like sort of.
Speaker 1: Doing an exercise and futility, and you.
Speaker 2: Can make a goal smaller, you can decide not to do a goal, you can change a goal, or you can get some kind of outsourcing or assistance. And I chose to go that route with my decluttering goal. We actually had a member of Best Laid Plans Live about a year ago that was a kon Mari consultant, which is how.
Speaker 1: I got the idea. Like, I will talk about con Mari in a minute.
Speaker 2: But I just think it's a fascinating framework of decoll uttering. And she has a training program where people can get trained in her methods. And this woman at our bestling, Plans Live was doing that, and I actually emailed her during the conference, Hey, can I hire you, like, will you help me virtually organize my house? She said no, she doesn't do virtual organizing, but she used some people that did. And then I really thought about it, and I was like, I don't really think virtual it's the way to go here, Like I think I need a human person with me in my house making things happen. It would be a little too easy to just not be accountable to something that felt less tangible. So I hired a woman named so It found there's like a network of kon Mari people. I sent emails out to two of them that were in South Florida, and I ended up hiring a woman named Sophie. And Sophie is young, she's in her twenties and she's come I don't know, like maybe seven or eight times now. She usually comes for three hours at a time, and we work on a kon Mari fired category.
Speaker 1: So we work together, like I am working.
Speaker 2: It is not like I can go do a podcast and she is organizing my bedroom like no, no, no, Like I am the one who has to decide what to keep and what to give away, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So, for example, we.
Speaker 2: Just did the kitchen, and the kitchen is not really a con Marin category, but again she works in the she's flexible and so it's one of the Homono categories, which just means like everyday things. And she actually divides the kitchen into food stuffs and then cooking preparation things, and then serving things. So there's like three categories. We did two out of the three during this three hour session. We did cooking preparation things, which is like pots, pans, gadgets, spatula's everything, and then also serving stuff, so that means every plate, every spoon, every whatever. And we took stuff out and then we decided did it spark joy or not, and then we put a lot of things to donate because they didn't spark joy, and then she helped me put them back in a smart fashion. And every time we've done an area, I get rid of a lot because, as it turns out, when you're not actively weeding out your stuff, you just kind of keep accumulating and accumulating. So that's kind of what the sessions look like. She actually at the last session, she could tell I was overwhelmed with like what do I do with all this stuff? And she's like, I will don't eat it for you for an extra little small fee, and I was like, yes, you will do that. I was like, here, please take my stuff for all I know. She sold it and then she made money twice.
Speaker 1: I don't care. It was out of my house.
Speaker 2: And that is what the kun Marii sessions look like. They're very helpful. There is a part that it's like, oh, I could do that on my own, but guys, I absolutely would not.
Speaker 1: I would not.
Speaker 2: And every time that she's even calming, I'm like, oh, there's a other stuff I'd rather be doing. But you know, when I've scheduled this and I promised myself I would do it, and I made time for it, and then after I'm done, I'm like, that was good. This really makes me feel better. This space is better. We did paper, which means we went through every single book in the house, not the kid's books, every single adult book in the house, and every single fire in my files.
Speaker 1: That was great. I mean they're much more functional now. That's cool. I mean, so I have a question, Sarah, like, is it really that bad? I mean, didn't you guys move in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that bad, but it's not as good as I would like it to be.
Speaker 1: I see, okay, because I mean it sounds like she's been there what like twenty plus hours now, and it's been twenty plus hour projects.
Speaker 2: If you're really looking at like every paper you own, it takes a while. Maybe I didn't let me see, I didn't look at every paper I own.
Speaker 1: We did my.
Speaker 2: Closet, we did the bathrooms, we did the kitchen, and we did office supplies, books, papers. I think that's it. We haven't done the kids rooms. She hasn't done my husband, like Joshu said, And I think this will help a lot as well that he is willing to do sessions with her, because now he's like seeing what that looks like.
Speaker 1: And I do think some of.
Speaker 2: What is cluttering our house is maybe more his. But if he's going to do those sessions, then that will help as well. So yeah, I think I don't have like a hard deadline like initially because I wanted to finish in the year, but I'm definitely making significant progress and I just want to keep steadily going until we feel pretty done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that is always the challenge. I mean, when you live with other people, there are many things you can do. There are also other things that are harder to do based on other people's things that they may or may not. Sometimes people feel things are perfect because they are theirs, an attitude that's out there.
Speaker 2: I've heard, Yes, that can be a barrier, but at least I don't know. I think it helps everybody in the family have an awareness of how things can be more functional when there's less clutter around, which I think is helpful.
Speaker 1: It's helpful put it that way. All right, Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back talking more about decluttering. Well, we are back talking decluttering. I mean, certainly the moving as an impetus to do this. You did get rid of some stuff, didn't you. I mean in twenty twenty two when you moved.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we definitely did. I think we could have done a slightly better job, but it definitely helped. I feel like you really did a blitz when you guys switched homes. Like there was a lot of boxes, and I feel like you were more ruthless about going through them.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean, we didn't get rid of everything. Certainly there were a ton of boxes just like put in the basement or put in the attic. But what did happen is then we hired the home manager shortly thereafter, and she kind of went through a lot of the stuff. And so I will put that out there as an idea for people. Certainly you can be part of the going through things, but if you sort of trust that the person is probably not going to throw out some priceless heirloom, right, you can also let somebody else do a lot of it. And part of what they're doing is not necessarily even getting rid of stuff, it's organizing it, like, Okay, these things all go in this bin, and now it's got a label on it, and so you can find the Christmas decorations, and she's not going through and saying like, yeah, that's a really crappy Christmas decoration. You don't need that. But it is all going in a bin, and so when you pull it out later, you may decide you don't want to keep some of it, but it's all in one place. And so I know there's sort of a rule in decluttering that you're supposed to get rid of stuff first before organizing it. But I'll just point out that you can also have somebody organize stuff and then decide later if you're keeping things not, and that this is something you can get help with even if you are not personally going to be answering every question of do I like that sheet? Does that fork? Spark toy? And so forth? Speaking of sparking joy, so let's talk kan Mari. Sarah, what's the deal with kan Mari?
Speaker 2: Yes, we're going to compareing. Don't worry, this whole episode is not about kan Mari. We're going to compare and contrast some popular decluttering methodologies that we have come across over the year, many of which have been guests on our podcast, although not Marie Condo yet.
Speaker 1: Maybe one of these days we shall say. Well, her co author in a book was so we had remember that year's right? Okay, close enough.
Speaker 2: So Marie Condo obviously wrote The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, which came out around twenty fourteen. I believe it's not that old of a methodology, and she talks about holding every item in your house and figuring out whether it's sparks joy and then deciding whether to keep it and doing that in categories. She's very much not to go room by room. It's to literally like find every shirt in your house. But her methods are a little bit more tailored, I think, to a one bedroom apartment in Tokyo with no kids than they are to a four bedroom house in South Florida. Let's say, so there are parts that work. She has really strong opinions about how certain things should be stored. She really hates putting anything in wrappers. She believes that everything should be stored like stacked vertically. Her folding methods are I think genius, and I use many of them. And she gets a little bit of a bad rap for people thinking that she's prescribing minimalism.
Speaker 1: But that's actually a misunderstanding.
Speaker 2: So she once said something like I got down to ten books, and that got publicized as this person says to throw out all your books. You should only have ten books, unless she's like, I did not say that. She's like, in my personal situation, only ten of my books spark joy, so I let the others go. You may have a thousand books that spark joy, and that is fine with you. So it's more individualizable, I think than people give it credit for. But the idea is that everything in your house should you should really want.
Speaker 1: It to be there actively.
Speaker 2: She also kind of promises that you only have to do it once, but I've heard she's kind of backed out of that since having children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, I mean, the idea that anything one would only have to do once is just kind of I don't know. I feel like the world doesn't necessarily work that way. Life doesn't work that way. There's entropy, right, Like things revert to a sort of less ordered state in the absence of effort, So it's going to have to be there. Yeah, I have to say I have not been found the whole kon Mari thing that appealing, And part of it was just, yes, the practic decalities of like here you are trying to like put everything, like every shirt in my house would be a disaster, or every book in the house. I think it would just be so overwhelming that we would just make a big mess and never get through anything. But I think more I really had a problem with the phrase your life begins when you put your house in order, and I think that is really a pernicious thought that is already in a lot of women's heads that I can't relax if my house is a mess, I can't go have fun. If my house is a mess, I have to clean up before I can live the life I want, And that is ridiculous. You can absolutely relax if your house is a mess. I mean, because the problem is if you live with other people, there are going to be messes, and then you'll never get to do anything else because it's just they're going to keep making messes, and then you will be trapped in this world where you never relax. So I would say, get past that idea. Your life begins now. Your life is going on. Now, this is life, whether your house is organized or not.
Speaker 2: You could ignore that part and just pay attention to the genius folding techniques.
Speaker 1: The folding techniques, well, there you go. What makes it so genius just because they don't get wrinkled then or.
Speaker 2: You can you can put stuff in drawers and see every shirt versus if they're in stacks, you only see the one on the top. But if they're like lying on their side, you can see everything. It's like much more logical.
Speaker 1: There you go. So let's move to Dana K. White. The K is important because Dana White is something like ultimate Fighting, I believe. But Dana Ka White is the organizing expert who is the author of A Slob Comes Clean was her blog and I think one of her books. We've both interviewed her. I believe Sarah at this point.
Speaker 2: Yes, I had her on Bustly Plans and she's so.
Speaker 1: Like mutual and orderly and all that, and I have trouble believing that she was actually that much of a slob. But maybe we never know what goes on behind closed doors, and that she has made a quite the career of writing about But I love her methods versus some of the other ones, So maybe you can talk about that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So her like main method is called the five step method, and it works for any space. And the five steps are number one, look for trash and trash it. Number two, find the easy stuff and re home it. So things that are like, oh, that's a shoe, It goes in the closet where we keep all the shoes. Number three, obvious donations socks with holes in them. And then for four and five, for anything left, ask where would I look for this? And then if there's a place that comes up, you put it there. And would I even think to look for it or would I just order a new one or go with that or whatever, And if it's the latter, then you can get rid of it.
Speaker 1: So very practical. And she also has.
Speaker 2: Two kind of major I don't know themes to what she does, which is to immediately bring stuff to their home so that you're never making a mess, meaning you will see a purse and then you rehome it, and then you see the bottle of Edyde drops that have visual aids but you guys can't see them, and you rehome that versus throwing everything on the floor and then making a giant mess that you then have to clean up if you get.
Speaker 1: Interrupted halfway through. So a wonderful method.
Speaker 2: For people with young chick kids, people who might be decluttering in small chunks of time. And then she also wasting called the container concept, which I like, which is that once you've defined a container for a given item, like this is my sock drawer. If it's full, that's all the socks you get to have. And if you're adding another pair and they don't fit, you have to remove one. I mean, of course there's limits to this, Like you could decide that you were ready for your next era in socks and you needed to have a bigger sock container. But in general this being a good policy to follow because our houses are finite, and having stuff that's just like overstuffed and overflowing all over the place generally makes it very hard to use and very frustrating.
Speaker 1: So I like the container concept. Yeah, I would say that's the one part I was not so fond of because I feel it's just like, well, in life, you can always get a bigger container, like in many circumstances. I mean maybe if you're like floating in the middle of the water on a house boat, like, no, you can't get a larger container. But like in a lot of circumstances in modern life, you can in fact get a larger container for whatever you want to do. If anyway, I think some people have trouble raining themselves in though I didn't like the idea that it could be used to like bully other household members too. Oh fair, okay, Like mommy wants to have a minimalist bedroom for my kids, so you can only have six toys. I have defined the container as six toys, Like I think that's not her, that's not her saying, but that's what I've seen that container concept used in sort of like people explaining how they think about it, and I just like that repulses me so much that I am, no, that's wrong. I agree.
Speaker 2: You can't define someone else's container. Come on, no, no, I was thinking of it more for your own container. And I do think some people just have trouble setting limits, like yeah, let me keep twenty seven winter coats because I might need one, Like those kind of people can benefit.
Speaker 1: From some God yea well. And I am totally into the container concept when I travel, Like, what you can take on this trip is the size of suitcase that will fit in an overhead container on an international flight, like that is what you can take because if you're going bigger than that, you are checking bags, the airpline is going to lose them. They are going to get stuck somewhere in like Heathrow, and you will never get them back, or else you'll just be waiting for an hour for them to come out of the baggage claim. And who needs that, right, Just define your container smaller and you will never face that. So I do totally get it in that circumstance. I just think sort of for like normal life. It may be slightly less of an effective way there because there isn't a true limit in many cases. But I love the idea of not making a bigger mess. I mean this is like it just is so more practical because the reason your life is sort of like you don't have unlimited amount of time to go through your Like the reason things are stacking up is because you have three little kids and a job, and the mail comes in and before you can sort it, somebody needs a glass of milk, and somebody else needs help in the bathroom. And then it's because you are gonna constantly be pulled away. If any sort of organizing creates a bigger mess, it's just gonna go backwards, like you will just have a bigger mess, and then it's frustrating. And so it does seem inefficient to like rehome things quickly, although you could always like put us like five things together to take up to your bedroom from the kitchen or whatever it is. But you know who doesn't need more steps? Right? Like this is like, oh, well, I'm gonna be going up the stairs more times than I need to. Great, like call it your cardio for the day, mini workout, mini workout for sure, for sure. All right, let's quick do the systematic overhaul with Organized three sixty five. Like because I Lisa is a big friend of the show. We've talked to her, both of us. Alisa Woodruff Organized three sixty five. You've done this program a few times, right, Sarah. I've done parts of it a few times. I love Lisa.
Speaker 2: I love how she like this is not at all to disparage her stuff, because I think it's fantastic. I love how she thinks. I enjoy her work immensely, and I consider her a friend. She has a home organization program that has like a small video for what you do each day to basically organize your entire home over the course the scope of a year, and I think it's really well done. I just have never made it through to the end.
Speaker 1: Personally.
Speaker 2: I think that it's actually a fantastic way to break up a Sisifian task like organizing your home into actual bite sized pieces, like none of them are that bad. I just always tended to lose motivation somewhere in the middle, and then I don't know, maybe I have too much of an all or nothing mindset and had trouble climbing back on.
Speaker 1: That's not even to say that I wouldn't even do it.
Speaker 2: Someday, maybe after I've conmarried my house, I'll do that as a refresh.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great system.
Speaker 2: The other thing that she pairs with that is she does have ways that you can find community with that might help people with the motivational piece. I just wasn't looking for that specifically, but it is a great technique, and I like the systematic nature of it, Like it'll be like one day is just sucks and another.
Speaker 1: Day just for organized through sixty five. Are there three hundred and sixty five things or is it like yeah, so one it's something like that. It's like one a day for a year.
Speaker 2: Okay, on very small spots, and like you'll be like in the kitchen, let's say for a month, but each day is like a task. Organize your spices, organize your forks. Yeah it's a bad example, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And so then you need to just like anything broken down into small bits is going to be easier to do than Again, it's wonderful that Sarah is finding three hours and partly hiring someone to come in to do it is allowing that to happen, because it's then she's put money into it. But in many cases people are not going to do that. So it's like, Okay, if I've decided I have twenty minutes a day to do this, that's still a reasonable amount of time. Over the course of a year, you could get a lot done. You just have to keep going, and Lisa has these great ideas for what you can do next, and keep going and keep going. I think somebody doing that disease to make sure they've got the accountability piece figured out. So maybe do it with a friend, right, Like each day you would text each other did you do your forks? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great idea. I like that to do it with friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I consider myself very good at checking off boxes and accountability. But I mean, listen, all of us have areas of weakness, and I think for me, I would get home from a day of work and I'm like, well I'm not no one's no I got I mean again, I think I'm an upholder that actually leans obliger sometimes because I'm like, well, no one actually cares if I do this, and like I'm tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there you go. But if you can brush your teeth every day, you could probably find a couple of minutes to organize your house every day if you just figure out what the motivation is. Yeah, all right, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then we'll be back with a little bit more on decluttering. Well, we are back. We are talking at decluttering, different methods, our thoughts on them. Minimalism is a hot topic for sure. Dif forms people have this like simplicity or essentialism, and the idea is basically that you just have very little. How's that working for you, Sarah? Are you minimalist? No?
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I'm also highly attracted to this without living it at Oh, Like, my clothes are pretty minimal.
Speaker 1: If she was still on Instagram, her entire feed would be like, this is my beige nursery with one toy.
Speaker 2: I mean my clothing. Like the amount of clothes I have, I think is approaching minimalists. That is the one area of my life.
Speaker 1: Even then.
Speaker 2: So Shira Gill is famous for this, and she wrote a book called Minimalista. She's been on our podcast. She's an amazing designer. Like her design sense is fantastic, and she's written a number of beautiful books on the topic. She also cataloged at one point every single thing she owned, like she knew everything in her house, and I'm like, that is so cool. And also I could never like too much chaos, too many people, too many things not happening.
Speaker 1: Though, doesn't she have three kids? She has three kids. She has a bunch of kids.
Speaker 2: I think there was a caveat that, like not all of her kids' pro possessions might have been included in the list, partly for privacy purposes.
Speaker 1: Okay, each individual lego. I'm curious. I have ten blue four by two.
Speaker 2: I mean, the idea of having less is appealing. It is less to clean up when you.
Speaker 1: Have less stuff.
Speaker 2: It can just lead itself to an aesthetic that I enjoy like I would much rather. I mean, I joke that I'd like to live in like a jail cell, like nothing in it, just from an esthetic point of view, like clean lines, nothing on the walls, like I maybe one flower in a slim vase like that's it, right, versus people who like the look of abundance, like a bunch of different colorful vases around in artwork and things like that. So like the esthetic piece appeals to me. The big downside to me is like, if you live with other people and they're not interested, then you are not. Your stuff can be minimalists, but you will live a minimalist lifestyle. And I have to say that like anybody who has is not as many pens as I have probably can't really call themselves a minimalist.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad to know, Sarah that if you ever wind up in a jail cell, I know it's to send you a single flower in a small, slim vase. That'll be my head. A pack of pens and a pack of pens. Well, yes, that'll be useful for sure. Yeah, I know. I mean like, sometimes life is just inherently complex and there's only so much simplicity you can have in a household of seven people, even though I know some people do manage to pull it off. And sometimes it's just like what might be simple with three people becomes more complex with seven people. I mean, I've talked in the past about how if a family has one kid and that kid is in five activities, that seems like a lot. People will be like, oh, I'm so worried about overscheduling. My kid is in five activities. Well, if I have five kids and they're each in one thing, it's the same volume. It's the same volume stuff. And so what would peer like overwhelmingly big with one kid is just absolutely minimal with five, And so we tend to be more in the realm of like twenty different things going on. That is what it is. That's you can have good systems, you have orderly systems. It's just not going to be simplistic or minimalist or anything like that. And I guess it's okay. I do like clear counters, though I get itchy when I come home from a trip and I can tell because I'm the one who's enforcing it, and I come home from a trip and there's stuff on the kitchen counters, like unless our cleaning service has been there that morning, our home manager was working that day, Like, there's just gonna be stuff on the counter. I've been to your house. The counters are pretty darn clear. What it is. I like it. It makes things feel calm, Like do you have that? I mean you're I mean you don't restore a ton of stuff. Yeah, we don't have a ton of stuff on our counters. I also really like setting my desk back to like pristine whiteness and having a desk that just looks good. And it can be messy for like a day or two, but then I go and like, yeah, like for me to set out to work with a nice, clean, orderly desk makes me happy. And our counters are usually.
Speaker 2: Actually right now, I think all that's on our little ledge is a single face with orchinds in it.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. That's great. And then finally, tidy Dad, your buddy tell us about tidy Dad. Yeah, I love Tyler Moore.
Speaker 2: So he wrote a book called I think it's called Tidy Dad, and his idea is like gamifying a lot of decluttering. But one thing he came up with that I just thought was pretty brilliant was the idea of having like a monthly cadence. So he's not promising that you're gonna be done decluttering, like there's no end, but instead to be like every month has a theme and.
Speaker 1: They're thought out strategically.
Speaker 2: So for example, November you would do your holiday decourse so that you're like ready for the holiday season coming up, and like August you would do all the backpack related stuff, and I forget like your mudroom if you have one, so you're always going through and different months. You might know that you're always busy in June and traveling, so maybe you don't have a lot that month, but you just have this.
Speaker 1: Like Cadence, and I believe.
Speaker 2: I think you can probably find his stuff on his Instagram and like actually get a copy of his template. But I also feel like this is right for making your own, Like maybe his isn't exactly what you'd want, but for your household. School starts in August, so you'd want to do the school stuff in July.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. And so he's got the system that you follow his system like what happens what month?
Speaker 2: He has a suggestion system. But then it's my twist to like come.
Speaker 1: Up with your own excellent and have you ever done one of those things like the fifteen minute daily sleep sweep or go through with a trash bag and get rid of one hundred items in fifteen minutes or whatever that is? Have you done any of that?
Speaker 2: I've never done any of that, but I think it's cool. There's a blogger that I follow. I think she's like the Hawaii Plan or something like that, and she'll often have in her goals list for the month to like declutter one hundred items, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Is she counting the items? I mean, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And then a lot of times she will to be like, i'd you cluttered one hundred and seventy items, Like wow, So no, I have not tried it.
Speaker 1: I think it sounds great. So I think this could be a one fun way to sort of like gamify it if with family members like to get help with this sort of thing, Like if every kid had a trash bag and they're like, okay, find twenty things that need to be thrown out in this house or out in the yard, right, like, because then people have put trash alongside the road or something. That could be really helpful because especially if you have three or four kids or something, I mean that's like eighty things that are out of the house, it's probably going to look better with the obvious trash out to it. That's always something I liked about the Dana K. White version of it too, Like the first thing is to get rid of the obvious trash, and even if you do nothing else, like almost any room is going to look better without the trash in it, So you win, you win, like even without organizing stuff in cool little bins and putting true labels on it. Yeah all right, So how many more sessions do you have with Sophie? That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I don't know in the end actually is going to be. I mean, well, I'm going to guess we're half done.
Speaker 1: We're half done, Okay, yeah it is. We're halfway through the year. So yeah, that works. That works, all right, So good investment. You're happy you did it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean honestly, compared to things like renovations, it has not been that expensive. I think she's happy with what she's earning. It's an hourly. I didn't buy a package. I'd just pay her by the hour. But it really hasn't been too crazy, so I think it's a great investment. I would not have done this on my own.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, there's an idea if you think you need to put on an addition because you're out of room in your house, like possibly paying an organizer to help you get through some of the stuff and get rid of it might be a lot cheaper than doing that, So stand corrected there on the container thing. Sometimes that would be maybe recognizing the container size of the house versus adding on a different room to it, or a sex floor storage unit. Storage unit. We paid for one for a couple of years, but for a reason, when Jasper was born and we were still in a one bedroom apartment, we put his crib, like we had to put his crib in one of the common areas, and so everything that had been in that area had to go somewhere. So we put it in a storage unit because we were living in New York City at the time, and so I guess that's the thing. You can get the container larger by getting a storage unit. We kept it for the time we were there, which is about I want to say, three years, and we moved into a different apartment and kept it there. But then when we moved to our new house in Pennsylvania, we got everything out of the storage unit and in fact wound up keeping like we've put the chair back in the house, like we put the dining room table back in the house, like we started using it again. So I think in our case that was like a little different.
Speaker 2: If it's nice stuff that was like expensive, then I guess it makes sense otherwise. I mean, we tend to buy ikia, So my guess is that the storage unit would cost far more than it would cost to just rebuy some furniture. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Not as good for the earth, though, So there you go. Yeah. Well, so, okay, should we do the Q and A first or the Love of the week first? Which do you prefer to? Let's do the Love of the week. Okay, what's making you happy this week?
Speaker 2: Sarah? Well, I mentioned to have a lot of pens, and I also have a lot of stickers, and it's not minimalist at all. I mean, maybe it's a little minimist. Like it's not like I have like five drawers of them. I have like one drawer of them. But they make me so happy. And I'm forty six years old and I like my stickers.
Speaker 1: Stickers are never too old to be any age and love your stickers. So I'm going to say Midsummer flowers Hydrangea's liies Rose says, I would probably not just go for a single flower in a small vase, although I don't really put that many inside. I like to look at them outside. I don't know when they're inside. Then you know something you have to deal with the water you have. They start going bad at some point, and then the petals are falling off, and then they're on my counter, and so I'm picking up petals off the counter, so kind of at the moment, I've just been enjoying them outside. But you know, you can go outside, so that works, all right. Question what is in your every day carrying bag? This is another place that people sometimes declutter at their purse. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: In my work bag, which is like a little leather toe that I've had for like a decade, I carry my laptop every day, my oh I need you planner, my car keys, my wallet, sunglasses, an extra pair of contact lenses, and emergency tampon.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then in my like out and about bag that I would use, like on weekends, I have usually just pull I don't bring my whole wallet, I just bring like my d in, a couple credit cards, a small sunscreen, a small masque spray or even mosquito spray wipes if I'm trying to be streamlined, a lip bomb, sunglasses, and again an emergency tampon.
Speaker 1: So question, why do you have a different bag for the weekend versus your work bag. Oh, my work bag is much bigger.
Speaker 2: I don't, okay, carry my laptop and planner around if we're going to like my in law's house or something.
Speaker 1: My weekend bag is like your weekend bag is significantly smaller than the work bag.
Speaker 2: My weekend bag is just like a cross body little I could walk everywhere and whatever my work bag. It's not like I'm doing a lot of walking. I mean, I park and then I walk across the parking lot and carry it to my office.
Speaker 1: So I can carry on as much as I want. Okay, gotcha. So I don't have like a separate weekend bag. I just have my everyday one, which is my But of course I'm working from home most of the time, so I'm not really using it to go back and forth to an office. But I have this long shomp tote. It is gray leather. I bought it in December of twenty eighteen, so it is eight years old.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Oh my going strong, which is good because I like my things to last. I would be very upset if it was breaking. I don't really, I'm just trying to remember what is actually in there, because I try not to look in there too often, but my wallet, my keys, my sunglasses. If I'm traveling far, I will put my actual glasses in there, because that's then the fallback. Obviously, if something goes wrong with my contact lenses, then I want to make sure I have my actual glasses so I can see chapstick and lipstock, like one of the little lipstick floss. I get stuff stuck in my teeth all the time and really annoys me if I don't have a floss with me. Obviously, personal products as needed, my phone, headphones. I actually have two kinds of headphones. I have the ones that plug into my iPhone and then also the ones that go into like the airplane back of seat, so I have both of those in there. If it might rain, I'll stick an umbrella in there, but I usually don't automatically have an umbrella in there. If I'm going far reading material like I can put a magazine in there, and if I'm traveling, my laptop will in there. I often use my tote as my carry on bag on my personal item, so it's important that it fit my laptop, but I just bring it around on weekends too. It's not that heavy and if I don't have my laptop in it, then it's not hard to carry around.
Speaker 2: Usually I forgot my AirPods.
Speaker 1: I do usually have those.
Speaker 2: You have those in there with her?
Speaker 1: All right? Well. It reminds me I have to declutter it though, every time I go get on an airplane, because I might have randomly stuck some sort of liquid item in there and I forget about it, and then it would cause a problem at the essay going through. So I do have to go through it every time I fly. So I guess that keeps it relatively clean.
Speaker 2: There you go every day, carry kind of fit with the decluttering theme.
Speaker 1: Every day carry all right? Well, this has been best of both worlds. We've been talking all things decluttering, looking at various different methods. We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram, and you can.
Speaker 1: Find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.