Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: One of the largest market cap companies in the world.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's about to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary on April Fool's Day.
Speaker 5: Okay, And yet and yet one.
Speaker 4: Of the big questions hanging over it, Tim, is who will take over the rains next.
Speaker 5: It's something that the current CEO doesn't really like to talk about. Yet it is today's Bloomberg A big take, and Mark German highlights Apple's nice guy era apparent from more Let's head to Bloomberg News as La Bureau and a Bloomberg News Managing editor for Global Consumer Tech market.
Speaker 3: The big build you We're just going to tell you.
Speaker 5: We just like to do that, John Turnas. It's not a name that a lot of people outside of like the you know, immediate Apple ecosystem, were super familiar with a couple of years ago, but he's been at Apple for twenty five years. Why is he in the position in your view to be the heir apparent to Tim Cook?
Speaker 6: There are a few main reasons. One, and this is, you know, an interesting one. He's fifty years old, which makes him fifteen years younger than Tim Cook and at least ten years younger than the rest of Apple's executive team people who would be in position to take the CEO role. Tim Cook is not going anywhere eminently, right. I still think it's going to be at least another year to go before he's no longer CEO, maybe two to five years, who knows at this point, right, I mean, everything in his world is Apple, So it's a hard position to move on from. And that means that the rest of the executives who could take over are going to be even older, right, And so you need someone in the role who could take over and be in that position for ten to twenty years. And that really leaves you only with John Turnis. Aside from that, he's the only person on the executive team who has successfully launched hardware software integrated products. He is essentially in charge of their products, which generate eighty percent of revenue for the company. He's known for his political acumen. He's known for empowering leaders under him at Apple. He's known for getting into the weeds on the technical side. He would be a different type of CEO for Apple right Steve Jobs was an innovator, a designer, a product genius, really a visionary. Tim Cook was a visionary when it came to operations in sales and finances and turnus in his own right is a maestro of engineering, solving hard problems, bringing devices to market, drumming up new products. So that's going to be a different type of CEO, But I still think it would be a continuity pick in the sense that he's worked under Tim for a very long time, well north of a decade. He's been a senior VP at Apple for about five years at this point, and he's someone Apple has been pushing to the forefront in its marketing and its keynotes, meetings with government regulators, meetings with press, local in different jurisdictions around the world, different Apple campuses and offices globally. So this is someone who's at the forefront of the CEO race at Apple.
Speaker 4: Right now, you know Mark so much here at Bloomberg, but we'll talk about when we're going through a different economic or market cycle. Is that, you know, when it comes to like a fed chair, we need like the right fed chairman for the era, like I think about during the Great Financial Crisis, during COVID and just so on and so forth, our goal all the way back to Vulgar when we were dealing with inflation.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: Because you talk about the youth or being younger turnus, you talk about continuity, being an insider, is that is that what really Apple needs to mean?
Speaker 3: What does it really need? And what Apple needs right now?
Speaker 6: Apple needs a shakeup. Apple need someone who's more AI centric And the board knows this, and you know, in the conversations they're having within the board, the question is do we really want the continuity pick or do we want sort of a someone who's an outlier or an outsider who could shake things up on the AI side. And you know, what you keep coming back to is the fact that Apple is a hardware center company. They're a hardware platform that all these AI and other services.
Speaker 5: Run on top of.
Speaker 6: And you can't really run the AI unless you have the hardware they are at the forefront, right, and so the hardware picture, at least for now, it does work. But let's see if someone else emerges in the next few years. I don't think that's going to happen. Apple is such a unique culture and a unique company that you really can't bring in an outsider. So all signs point to Turnis.
Speaker 5: Well on on Turnas's track record mark. One thing that surprised me and I kind of let out this audible yelp in the newsroom when I got to this part of your story was the missteps that he's had have been very prominent. I mean, two things that Apple moved away from that were as widely seen as mistakes happened under Turnas's tenure. Talk about the keyboard, the Butterfly keyboard issue in the touch bar.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's not had a good run in the mid twenty tens with keyboard related items. You had the Butterfly keyboard, which was a disaster and kept breaking for typing. You had the touch bar. Now, the thing let's say about the touch bar and the Butterfly keyboard. He was the engineering implementer of these ideas. These were two things that were pushed heavily by the design team and Apple at the time, and so he was really executing on the vision that they pushed him to execute on the design team, and Apple is in a different era. They are in lockstep now with the engineering team run by John Turnas because he also oversees the design teams now both hardware and software. So I think that it's a bit of a different situation right now. Since he became senior VP, Apple's product have improved dramatically in terms of quality and features. I mean, you see the macook Airs and the Maclook pros and the iPhones these days, the durability is just insane. So I do think that, you know, that was ten years ago. Those are notable missteps under his watch when he was running Mac Hardware engineering, but certainly there's been a lot of improvement since that time.
Speaker 4: So, you know, I want to go back to how you started. You said, Tim Cook, it could be next year, it could be two.
Speaker 3: To five years. I mean, if it's longer, it.
Speaker 4: Actually gives you know, Cook some more time to kind of figure out and maybe also continue to kind of guide the strategy of the company.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot can happen, you.
Speaker 4: Know, in two, three, four or five years. So I'm just wondering, how how much is you know, turnus a sure thing.
Speaker 6: Well, the longer that Tim Cook is CEO, the odds go up that Turnus is a sure thing because everyone else around Tim Cook on the executive team is just going to get older and older, you know, and so that is going to leave turn It's like, if Tim Cook steps down in five years, Turnus will be fifty five, still giving him fifteen years potentially in the CEO seat. Maybe longer than that, everyone else will have aged out. I mean, you have EDDIEQ who runs services. He's pushing over sixty. Greg Joswek runs marketing over sixty. You have software engineering chief Craig Federigi who's in his late fifties and has already declared publicly that he shouldn't and does not want to be CEO of Apple. You have a new CFO who's relatively young around Turnus's age, but Apple's not going to make a CFO their CEO. You have a new COO who's about sixty and at this point he's going to be too old to become CEO as well, and so all of your options are gone. You had people talk about Jeff Williams. For many years, he was the COO. They had been putting him in the driver's seat as a successor by giving him more product and design responsibility, but he retired at the end of last year, so he's no longer an option. There was all sorts of speculation about Angela Ernce, you know, six years ago when she was running retail. She's out of the company as of twenty nineteen, so she's no longer an option. So basically, you're out of You're out of options unless Apple's going to go external, which would be a massive shock.
Speaker 3: Well that's what I was going to ask you.
Speaker 4: What's the chance that they go external or what's the chance that they bring back somebody who left but who also knows the culture.
Speaker 6: Apple has a remarkably bad track record bringing in executives from the outside. Nearly everyone who they've brought in has been a failure from an outsider's perspective. They had their Chief People officer, Carol Surfis, who was out in two years. I mentioned Angela Errence, the retail chief, she was out in five years. There's some other examples there as well, but it has not worked out. Pretty for them from an Apple cultural standpoint, and John Turnis having been there for twenty five years makes it a lot simpler for him to be in the role. Lots of people at Apple. Oh, the other example I should give, by the way, is John jin Andrea, who was the aichief. He came from Google and that was a complete disaster. Right, So the track record on outsiders has been extremely poor, to say the least. Apple's run like a family business, right for keeping in the family. It's run by the family, the same people who've been around for a very long time, and so they're going to pass it on to the next member of the family.
Speaker 5: I think, Mark, we don't want to give the entire story away. It is one of the most read stories on the Bloomberg terminal. It is today's big take. Everybody should check it out. It's not all you have on the terminal today. A couple other stories we wanted to highlight. A scoop from you about adding search advertising to Apple Maps in a push to make services even bigger. What is Apple planning on doing to our maps?
Speaker 6: Yeah, similar to Google and Yelp, restaurants brands stores to bid on search query. So for example, coffee shop in your area wants to bid on the term coffee. Probably that'll cost them a lot of money. But if they're the highest bidder and you search coffee at locale, they'll pop up first as an AD on the search results, and that's an AD. So big advertising expansion for Apple. Obviously, Apple Maps is extraordinarily visible. They've been pushing ads for years now in the app store, search ads included. They've been pushing advertising within the Apple News app and the news section in the Stocks application. So definitely this is a big lever that they're pulling here to try to generate more revenue. The estimates are they made eight million from in iOS ads or they're going to across twenty twenty six. Putting it in Maps is probably going to double that pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: Hey, speaking of pulling a lever, you've got another story, man, I mean he.
Speaker 5: Still has time for us.
Speaker 3: What's the other story?
Speaker 6: I already forgot.
Speaker 3: App just started to AI comeback bid. Oh yeah, because the doctors.
Speaker 4: That what's coming up this Worldwide Developers Conference and what we might get in terms of AI levers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, as they reported, I think first first week of January or second week of January. They're going to revamp Serie as a chatbot to compete with chat gipt uh in Claude in Gemini and what have you. So all the focus will be on Siri and AI.
Speaker 3: Is this right that they report on? Oh yeah, may first. I think that's an estimate they.
Speaker 6: Will, that's an estimate.
Speaker 5: That's estimate, okay, So Mary, Yeah, timeframes typically WWC's typically for developers. I mean that's that's the whole point of that. You get unveiling a well, iOS, the announce.
Speaker 6: The new OS is right, so they'll announce iOS twenty seven, the other new operating systems and so yeah, developers got a bunch of new frameworks and tools, and consumers got a bunch of new features. But this year is going to be lighter than usual. This is all the all the features are going to be about AI this year. Everything else is going to be pretty minimal.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna like Siri.
Speaker 6: Now, I have no idea. I mean, I know, I know what the features are going to be, but I couldn't tell you if they're going to work properly or not. And I couldn't tell you if consumers are going to like them. But I think if they work to an effective rate of eighty five percent ninety percent, that platform of over two billion users is going to pull in a.
Speaker 7: Lot of people.
Speaker 5: Okay, before we let you go shameless plug, you and I are doing a live Q and A for Bloomberg subscribers. It's on Thursday, March twenty six. It starts at eleven am Eastern time. Mark German. It's an Ask you anything of Mark Erhaman. You can send him questions ahead of time. You can get in touch with us anything, anything, anything people do. We love it.
Speaker 4: It's a fun time, all right, looking forward to Hey, Mark, thank you so much as always are Mark Gerhm in there.
Speaker 5: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You are listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Just looking at our live blog on the US war in Iran, we have President Trump saying that the straight of hormones to reopen soon under a joint control with the United States Iranian media. Nine negotiations have taken place. We mentioned Brent crude falling back, we mentioned WTI creed falling back as well, and then President Trump suspended threatened strikes on energy infrastructure, citing talk.
Speaker 3: So this is kind of the latest on our blog.
Speaker 4: Meantime, maybe we'll ask our next guest about what we have else on the blog.
Speaker 5: OK, we can't leave it there, kay, So I'm going to just read from this because Jennifer Welch, if you watch our program, if you listen to our program, you know her well. At this point, she's chief geo economic sanalist for Bloomberg Economic, she writes, and several explanations could account for the contradictory messages from President Trump and Iran over talks to end the war. The most likely explanation is the US is pursuing negotiations as the President searches for an off ramp, but exaggerating progress in an attempt to reassure markets.
Speaker 4: All right, So that might explain, right the contradictions that we were seeing. Hey, we wanted to get We're going to get a view from the White House in just a moment, and really the national security aspect from the United States. But right now we want to get a view from the region. We had to Istanbul and to Bloomberg News Middle East and North Africa managing editor on our aunt. He oversees editorial direction and newsroom operations across the region, and so delighted to have him with us on our Thank you so much. And a little bit later, where you are, we are trying to understand exactly kind of what feels like contradictory statements from the White House the US versus what's coming out of Iran set the record straight.
Speaker 3: What do we know?
Speaker 1: Well, we know that US President Donald Trump back down from his earlier threat to strike Iran's energy sites if straight or foremost is not reopened by the end of his forty eight hour deadline, which he started on Saturday evening, So basically in about six or seven hours that deadline would have expired. But earlier today, very early in the morning in the US, all of a sudden, we have seen that present Trump posting several messages on social media, followed by his in person remarks to reporters in the US where he said, unlike what he had said before, that he was talking to Iranian officials and that a deal was possible and therefore he gave Iran a five day reprieve, basically promising not to hit any energy assets in the Islamic Republic until Saturday. Those remarks were followed by repeated claims by Iranian media that said such talks never really happened. Iran, in fact, did not respond to US requests for negotiations, and the fact that Trump backed down from his earlier threats was basically down to the Iranian response to earlier US and Israeli threats in the region, and basically a function of how the war has so far unfolded that those are the sort of two emerging main narratives coming out of the US and Iran over the last few hours.
Speaker 5: So then how do we how do we explain the public statements differing from what we know is happening privately, and the differences that we're hearing from Iran saying wait a second, no, we are not having any discussions.
Speaker 1: It's not extremely surprising. Obviously, there is this one marginal possibility that everything that's coming out of the mouth of the US president is completely false and a lie. It's plausible, but it's not very likely. What is more likely is the fact that what's happening now is a continuation of what we have seen so far during the conflict and even before the conflict. Iran and Iran's administration sees this war as an existential one and they do not want to project any sign of weakness to their own public. So even if there is a back channel negotiation going on with the US, which seems to exist judging by all the reporting that we have done over the last few hours, they do not want to portray this as a negotiation between Islamic state and its adversaries in an axidentual war. But instead they would like to portray this as a case where Iran has retaliated so violently and so strongly to previous US and Israeli attacks since the war began about twenty four days ago, that right now the US is forced to sort of backtrack it's earlier threats and steps in the war, putting Iran in this position of power and superiority in the war. So that's where I think the inconsistency is mainly coming from.
Speaker 4: No last few want I want to ask you because as you said, I think it's safe to say that many would would point out that on both sides you could question the messaging.
Speaker 3: And what is fact?
Speaker 4: What is maybe a little bit of a massaging of the message and the same thing out of Iran. How do we trust what we're hearing out of Iran as well?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not very easy, and we have been very adamant in our efforts to filter out propaganda from the actual messaging. That said, today, immediately after Trump's social posts that said that he was in box with the Iranian leadership, we have seen a concerted effort by Iranian state linked media outlets trying to counter that message with the message sue that I just explained a couple of minutes ago. This is clearly centralized. So yes, we are trying to filter out the propaganda, but there is a clear emerging pattern in Erani media today that shows the messaging coming out of Tehran was highly centralized and it is a closely choreographed place. We cannot talk about a free media that is free to report on anything it wants.
Speaker 5: So let's say that we do see an end to the conflict in the coming days, what does Iran look like host this war?
Speaker 1: That is a very difficult question to answer, but I will do my best according to what the US Israeli Alliance said since the beginning of the war on February twenty eight, thousands more than more likely more than seven thousands, seven thousand targets in Iran have been hit. Now, they have spared the energy assets for most part of the war, but we know that administrative buildings, civilian infrastructure has been heavily targeted. So on the one hand, you have a country where the infrastructure has been very heavily degraded. On the other hand, though, if the war unfolds pretty much in a similar way to how it has so far, and if there is no conclusive peace agreement, that would that would allow Trump and also is really Prime Minister Natanielle to say that they have managed to take or extract every single concession they wanted to going into this war. It will make Iran look like a victorious look like the victorious side after this war, and therefore will allow it to maintain a sense of legitimacy in the as of its own people and also regionally after the war is concluded.
Speaker 4: One last thing, just quickly, this is crossing the Bloomberg terminal coming from the New York Times. At the Pentagon, officials are weighing deployment of air troops to on and the New York Times citing Defense officials on that troop deployment.
Speaker 3: If we see that, would it be assumed to be seen as an escalation on the part of Iran?
Speaker 4: And then what would that mean maybe in terms of this war just quickly.
Speaker 1: I guess that would depend on where exactly those troops are going to be landed if that happens. There are known we have seen over the last couple of weeks that there are certain areas where the US thinks it may land its troops, such as the carg Island, which is a key export terminal for Iran. Such a move would allow the US to maintain leverage that would allow it to force the Uranian government to come to terms on some of the key issues such as uranium or their ties to proxy forces in the region. So really depends a lot on where those troops might be headed and what the task of ject all that Midge operation might be.
Speaker 4: Every day, it feels like in this war, it feels like so many questions right as stuff comes across and headlines are known.
Speaker 3: Our thank you so much.
Speaker 4: I know it's later over there and you've had a busy day already, but thank you so much for sticking around and informing our audience at this hour.
Speaker 3: Own our aunt.
Speaker 4: He is Middle East and North Africa Managing editor at Bloomberg News.
Speaker 5: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Our Bloomberg team watching global currency markets, writing earlier this morning that cross asset relationships that macro traders rely on have been rewired since the US War and Iran started, and the old playbook is no longer a guide to currency moves and tim This is all happening as we've seen the dollar backtrack falling sharply after President Trump said he would postpone strikes against Iranian energy targets for five days. Is something we kicked off this hour talking about He cited the president that is, citing quote good and productive talks and ending the war. There's some debate about what exactly is going on and before Trump's President Trump's remarks the green back had touched the highest level since December on fears of a possible escalation in the Middle East. Again, based in our conversations, it sounds like that could still happen.
Speaker 5: We'll see, we just don't know. Who knows. I want to bring in Jat Bardoise. She's head of FX strategy at TED Security. She joins us here in the Bloomberg Business Week studio. The headlines that have been happening today, that back and forth, the whiplash that we've seen in markets, How are you making sense of that from an FX perspective?
Speaker 7: First all, thank you so much for having me back. But I think it's a very clear sign that markets are purely now hinged on the duration, on the extent of the conflict. Everyone's just reading for signs of that. But it did show very clear sign that markets are also very happy and willing to fade the moves you've seen in the last couple of weeks, and they're looking for that glimmer of pope and optimism and hopefully the good headlines you've seen come over the know in the morning. Hopefully if they get dragged out, then potentially could see maybe outside of the oil market, other acid prices could go back to where they were. Oil markets are potentially the only ones where we see some permanent risk premium will remain embedded given some of the energy infrastructure which has been destroyed. Maybe the new baseline for oil prices is not sixty anymore, but closer to eighty. But outside of that, acid prices other than that might be able to go back.
Speaker 5: You said permanent risk premia, I.
Speaker 7: Mean a little bit more medium term, not in the center. It could remain, yes, but it will likely remain for a few years, especially because some of the energy infrastructure the destroy it. It will take time in years to rebuild that. And even if there's a ceasefire, think about it, like, you cannot do away with the risk of Iran feeling imboldened and then the cataking again.
Speaker 3: Can we go there?
Speaker 4: Because I think it's safe to say any of us to remember eleven or just think about the region as a whole. And you think about Iran's history with the United States. It's not been a good one for a long time. And you do wonder do you leave a country, an entity, a regime that is even angrier at the United States, And I don't know that we can get a read on that yet. I think even the President was talking earlier, did we overhear him saying something like that maybe he and whoever the next leader would be kind of having say and what happens.
Speaker 3: In Iran next.
Speaker 4: So there's just a lot of interesting things going on. But are we wrong to think about have we created a bigger enemy here and maybe some disconnect too with the region as a whole beyond Israel, who probably maybe weren't prepared for all of this fallout and destruction.
Speaker 7: The way we're seeing risk scenarios right now, there's only two probable outcomes. One is potentially a continuation of the good headlines you've seen, or potentially both sides have some sort of a cease fire, like come to some terms and agreements on the basis of that, and both sides will be able to claim victory from that. I'm sure the US will say that we have eliminated part of the supreme leaders there, but Iran will also be able to claim victory in a certain sense. So both sides get that Asset prices come down in that environment. We actually expect a good amount of selling pressure on the dollar to resume.
Speaker 3: That's one scenario. What's the other one.
Speaker 7: The other one is, potentially if the talks to not go well, potentially this becomes a much bigger conflict, potentially bringing in a little bit more of the peers who've currently stayed on the sidelines. You bring in more peers, get them involved, and this becomes a very long term strategic battle. Then it's not just short term, but it becomes a much more long term strategic point. And that's where a nuclear chain reaction potentially sets off. Because right now markets have take outside of oil prices and then rates last week, equities and effects have been relatively very well contained. You've not seen the classic risk off even to this state play out, and then that is something that actually plays out, and then you know rex havoc on the market.
Speaker 5: Why haven't we seen that classic risk Why wouldn't we see that play out?
Speaker 7: I think it's because of the nature of the way the shocks started out. I'm sure a lot of people were expecting it to be quick, one and done, like Venezuela. I'm sure even the US administration was expecting that, and nobody was expecting Iran to retaliate the way they have or even expecting the kind of military strength that they have showed that nobody knew that they had all of that. So in that environment, even now, people given that this is a midterm election year, Trump has wanted the FED to cut interest rates, the inflation price and you know, prices shooting higher is not good for the administration both geopolitically. You know, obviously NATO has declined to help. I think that's a very strong sign. So there's weak support both domestically and globally, which is why people were hoping that potentially this is something which is like Israel Iran back in June twenty twenty five, where you had a shock to prices, but that lasted only a few weeks and then everything came back down. Right now, when I'm speaking to, investors are extremely split. There's a good chunk of them still in that baseline, and some of them have moved to that bad case scenario. But given the massive amounts of uncertainty, people are just sick, stuck in the middle, and they have not been able to put on active risk behind any of those scenarios.
Speaker 3: So where do you investors want to go?
Speaker 4: I mean, we've been watching you know, the US style or really really closely, which we've seen under pressure, and then we saw a rally coming off of this war.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, do you have a long and short or short long term.
Speaker 4: Yes thought on it, and how much conviction do you have on those or again it goes back to these two scenarios.
Speaker 7: In the short run, remain defensive, you know, keep the dollars, should remain tactically bid. You know, it's not just because dollar is a safe haven, and there's still a big question as to whether it has been behaving like a safe haven or not. But the nature of the shock allows the dollar to behave like a safe haven because the US is geographically insulated from all of this energy independent, not as driven by tourism or supply chain interlinkages with the Middle East compared to the European Union. So the nature of the shock should allow the dollar to behave like a safe haven tactically. But I'm still not convinced that this dollar bound to turn into an outright rally. And one very interesting evidence which I point out to in that is if you just pull up the dollar charts since the start of the year, look at the dollar sell off, which happened when Trump and the US only threatened to invade Greenland, did not even invaded, and with the FED did the rate check on behalf of the Ministry of Finance in Japan. The dollar sell off you saw in that time was still much stronger than any dollar rally you've seen with this actual conflict in the Middle East in the last three three plus week So if all of this, you know, if you get that off ramp through the war in the summer, imagine the amount of dollar selling pressure which will come back with a lot more intensity because the hedge of America trade will be back with a lot more reasons to justify it.
Speaker 5: Now Jat, We're going to be speaking on our program at a little after four o'clock to Ed Harrison about gold. But you mentioned the dollar potentially acting as a safe haven. We've seen the opposite from gold over the past few weeks.
Speaker 3: Why is that the door.
Speaker 7: That's actually very intriguing question, and I love to answer it because the dollar the gold. We do know that retail investors did get very active in participating in that market, particularly in December and January, which was responsible for the massive chunks of movie you saw then FX markets to this state have still been the most macro fundamentally driven market, untouched by retail investors or speculative moves as much. That's why FX markets to me have been the most macro moving markets in all of this, which is I think is a very good sign for me to make sense of when things are moving, when things look too.
Speaker 3: Straight, a better indicator of what's going.
Speaker 7: Because the move in gold did have retail investor participation, the euphoria, the momentum, the four more trades at sometimes, but that was never seen in FX.
Speaker 5: She's saying, the smart money goes to effects.
Speaker 3: Well, it isn't that in front of a gold.
Speaker 4: But it's such a massive market, right, it can tell you so much about the different trades.
Speaker 3: Such good stuff. Thank you so much, really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: JT.
Speaker 3: Bardoirse. She is head of FX Strategy of at TD Securities. Joining us right here in studio. Have a good week, say week.
Speaker 5: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 5: I do want to bring back to sid and fill up, chief correspondent for Global Aviation for Bloomberg News, he joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio, you were moving from studio to studio, so you didn't just pull disclosure to everybody. You didn't might not have gotten to hear every single part of this press conference as you were moving between studios. What did you learn new from the Secretary of Transportation.
Speaker 8: So I think the fact that the staffing levels were not quite as bad as we expected, I mean that sort of does sort of show you that there is sort of they have made progress in terms of stuffing. At the same time, it's like, I mean, the fact that obviously the NTSB will have to pull over the data and figure out what really went wrong and why the fire truck was a lot across the own way at a time when the plane was also approaching is obviously that's something we'd really be looking to hear in terms of future steps and future in terms of future changes for this industry. I mean, given the fact that aviation is constantly evolving and there's obviously changes I mean, we've seen changes in DCA posts that in the crash where military aircraft are now they sort of separated from aircraft coming into DCA, And so we will sort of see recommendations from the NTSB, and that will only post the analytics of what really went wrong and why that fire truck was where it was.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a thing everybody makes mistakes, but you also when you're dealing with airplanes, runways, limitations and things that have to be very very carefully regulated. I mean, could it just come out to being that there is nothing to really address it was just a miss and I don't know whether I don't know can we even go there or can we assume that there was something where somebody didn't look and either you know, calculate the timing of a plane hitting a runway going one hundred miles an hour and how quickly and you know this help me understand.
Speaker 3: We all do make mistakes.
Speaker 4: You don't want to hear it for those of us who fly a lot, I don't want to hear about mistakes, but walks through it.
Speaker 8: I think the I think the investigation will determine one what when I mean, given the fire truck drivers are they survived the incident, They will be sort of vital in piecing together what happened. It will also be imperative to understand whether warning indicators that are automatic on the runway that did tell you whether the runway is clear or not, we're working or not. It will be there's loads of systems that are also work in tandem with the air traffic controllers, and that's all. That will all be part of the analysis from the NTSB and part of the investigation, and then we will something in terms of what went wrong. Was it human error, was it some sort of mix up? Was it all sort of I mean, we we saw we've seen runway collisions before. I mean there was the Japan Airlines in Tokyo where we had the Coast gud plane that entered the runway mistakenly and got hit by the eight three fifty from Japan Airlines.
Speaker 5: You know, we the press conference is ended by the way and the officials have walked away from the podium at LaGuardia side one and I don't have I don't have Secretary of Duffy's words right in front of me, But there was an element to this where he talked about this is this is not political. That said, we are trying to update and modernize. We don't know if modern equipment made in the US would have had a difference in the outcome in this case. He was clear to say that. But is there a technology upgrade question here based on what we've seen thus far?
Speaker 8: I mean, obviously we still too early to figure out what really went wrong. And I mean the FA has talked about how the equipment at various US airports is outdated. I mean they've mainly talked about it from an air space perspective in terms of air space being affected. But then we've also seen incidences like this morning where in Newark they had to stop operations for a couple of hours because there was an elevator that had smoke and essentially they were not sure if there was a fire or not, so there was. I mean, essentially, there is a lot of antiquated infrastructure in the US, and Secretary Duffees talked about how they're working to upgrade it. I mean, the question is one how quickly it happens, and two whether it addresses these various shortcomings.
Speaker 4: Well, listen, like, we really appreciate you walking us through everything that we know so far, and obviously, as we heard from the Transportation Secretary, it's going to take some time to get all of the specific details. But you do think if you know anything about aviation, like the Times, there'll be able to piece this together exactly, no doubt about it, and we'll know a little bit more. But we are thinking about all of the people were certainly impacted in the lives that.
Speaker 3: Were lost as a result of this. Sid, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Sid, Phil you bet Chief correspondent Global Aviation here at Bloomberg News.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal.