Speaker 1: This is Lee Habib and this is our American Stories, the show where America is the star and the American people, and we'd love to hear your story. Send them to Ouramerican Stories dot com. There's some of our favorites up next, a story from Denver, Colorado, where we broadcast on k HOW and KA, two great iHeart affiliates in the Denver area. When Quentin we Dan started work at the Lazybe Chuck Wagon and Show in Estes Park, Colorado, he was a young man and his experience ended up changing his life. Here's Quentin with the rest of the story.
Speaker 2: Pasta Park is located in the northern half of Colorado along what we call the Front Range of Colorado. It's about seventy miles northwest of Denver, and beautiful town in the mountains, and it's basically a gateway town at the foot of Rocky Mountain National Park. It does draw a lot of traffic, you know. The town in the wintertime has maybe six thousand people, and I think in the summertime it's seventy to eighty thousand people. So in ESTs Park is a town with many things to do in the summertime, is very much a summertime tourism or visitor town and many of the kids starting it around the age of twelve or thirteen, you know that middle school age find summer jobs. And I had some friends who had worked at the lazybe the year before, and they contacted me after I got up fifth grade and said, hey, Quentin, you know there were buddies that I rode mini bikes with, and they said, hey, we had this job last year, and we think you're trying to save up for a new mini bike. You might be able to get this job at this place called the Lazy b It's a lot of fun. You get to have the food every night, and they feed you well, and we work really hard and have a lot of fun. So I went and actually interviewed for the job when I was gosh, just a week after I got out of the fifth grade, and they hired me. And I started in the summer of nineteen eighty two. And back then, you know, we worked from four o'clock to about ten o'clock every night, and it was ten dollars a night. Eventually, you know, I was there for ten summers, and eventually I saved up enough money in that job to pay not quite but a lot of most of my most of my college tuition to put myself to schools. It's you know, it's called chuck Wagon and Show, and it's basically modeled after a little bit of the history and life of the cowboy, right, and it goes back to the theme of you know, the late eighteen hundred, the cattle drives that came out of Texas going north to the you know, the stockyards in Kansas City or coming across Colorado to Montana. Goes back to the life of the cowboy and living on the range and eating this chuck wagon meal. Right, So you have the chuck wagon, they serve beef and beans and biscuits, and then at night the cowboys would sit around a campfire and play their guitars and tell jokes and stories, et cetera. And from that kind of developed a genre of music, right that really got going in the early nineteen thirties and forties with with you know, stand up cowboy wrangler bands like the Sons of the Pioneers. This format is all about having a western meal on an old hot tin plate, and then after that you sit around and you have a live Western show and they sing the songs of the cowboys.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: People really enjoy this kind of event and family friendly thing to do on vacation. It really started with the Flying w and Caldorf Springs in the nineteen fifties, and they started doing trail rides followed by an evening meal and then a little guitar playing, and so many people started coming for the evening meal and guitar playing. They quit coming for the trail rides. They came for the meal on the show, and from that started the first chuck wagon in show format, right. And it wasn't long before quite a few of these guys who did that singing in those shows, they left there and they went off to start their own chuck wagons and other towns around the West. This one got started in about nineteen sixty three in Estas Park, you know, by several of these singing cowboys, these singing wranglers who had done this at the Flying w They started the Lazy b and Estes Park. Eventually it came under the ownership of Tom Justin and he came to own it in the early seventies and he owned it and ran it and operated it until right about two thousand when he sold it, so it was really his life's work. He was he was one of the singers and really the star of the show with this classic deep baritone, beautiful voice, and led the led, you know, led the band Tom and his wife Helen. Helen was from Germany and had grown up and went through the Second World War and and and had really been through some tough times herself. And they were extremely frugal, diligent, hard working people, and their standard of excellence and expectation was was always striving for perfection. That meant having the meal cooked perfect every night, served at the perfect temperature. The biscuit had to be hot and steamy in the middle and not too brown or black in the outside right. And the show Tom Tom had a standard of how he wanted to deliver the show every night, and how hard he worked with the band and the musicians to rehearse and practice every note and storm of the guitar, the you know, how they delivered that show, how tight it was every night, how rehearsed it was, the harmonies they did. Tom was always striving for the perfection of that a true professional does. And I think that's really one of the things that was my takeaway it was not just working hard. A lot of people can learn to work hard, but always striving to I know we can do it better. Right. People come here and they want something authentic and different and we have to deliver. And that was that was the standard he kind of said in all of us.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Quentin. We Dan tell the story of his work and a Chuck Wagon and show called the Lazy b And it's in Estes Park. The front Range of Colorado is where you'll find it. God's Country. If ever there's a part of America it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: This is it.
Speaker 1: And that is seventy miles northwest of Denver where he learned important life lessons. When we come back more with Quentin with Dan's story here on our American Stories blihabib here, and I'd like to encourage you to subscribe to Our American Stories on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, or wherever you get our podcasts. Any story you missed or want to hear again can be found there daily again. Please subscribe to the Our American Stories podcast on Apple podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or anywhere you get your podcasts. It helps us keep these great American stories coming.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: We returned to our American stories and Quentin we Dan's story. When we last left off, Quenton was telling us about his time spent at the Lazy Bee Chuck Wagon and Show in Estes Park, Colorado. His experience there ended up paying for his college tuition and became a part of his life. Here's Quinton talking about his favorite experience from that time, working with his boss.
Speaker 2: There is one moment that really stands out. It stands out about the kind of place that it was and the kind of man that Tom was. Tom had a beautiful Western singing voice. Many people compared him to Johnny Cash. That kind of voice and that kind of experience for those who listened to him. So one of the songs that Tom did was Ghostwriters in the Sky right, one of the most famous Western songs of all time, and Tom probably sang that song better than anyone I've ever heard, including Johnny Cash. And so in es This Park, you know, in the mountains, you do get some tough weather at times. You get a lot of afternoon showers and sometimes lightning storms in the evening, and and we did get our share of those, and there was there was one night during the show, when they were performing and singing, we had a lightning storm blow through the area and the building was hit by lightning or nearby and we lost power. And Tom had trained me and several others that, you know, what do we do when we lose power? What are the protocols? Et cetera. And I'll never forget going from the kitchen and running out, you know, to the to the audience area where the show was going on, and of course the power was out except for a couple of small emergency lights in the back, and that meant there was no no you know, the speakers were out as well. I'll never forget running into that room and hearing hearing the audience all sh shooting themselves. Because as they were performing Ghost Riders in the Sky, Tom kept right on singing and he kept writing playing. He didn't stop. So as I ran into this room to go open the emergency exits and bring in more light, all you could hear was Tom singing Ghost Riders in the Sky and strumming his guitar, and over the next thirty seconds to one minute, you could hear the other singers try and get back on pace with him, and Tom never stopped, and Tom never made an excuse. And if that meant the lights are gonna go down, the lights are gonna turn off because of a storm, that doesn't matter. That's not the cowboy way to stop. And I'll never forget how Tom kept singing and he finished Ghost Riders in the Sky, standing there singing in the dark on the stage. You know, I've remembered that many times in my own career, when things are tough, you're working long hours, you know, all the things that life could throw at you in life or your job or whatever. I've never forgotten that more. Tom grew up in San Diego, and he kind of fashioned in the mountains outside of San Diego, and he kind of fashioned himself a cowboy. He felt like he really was the real deal. He'd grown up a small ranch. He was in the army, and I think that's when he started playing the guitar, and he and a few others went on one of those USO tours right where several of them get together and they go overseas and they hang out and play for the troops. And they did that for a year in the sixties. So I think that was a part of him coming of age realizing I'm going to do this all the time. Because when he came back, that is when he started at the Lazy b full time and when he went on from there to keep playing. So I think that's what got him going. It was really him that kept the Lazy Bee on a Western theme. They didn't really do country songs as we would think of country songs. It was really his mission. He talked about it a lot. He you know, there just weren't that many places you could go and listen to and have the nostalgia of the original Western music and life and time to the cowboy. So I did go back and continue to visit Tom Helen. His wife got sick and died in nineteen ninety eight. After that, you know, Tom was really on his own, trying to run a business, and I think he just got to a point where, you know, he was getting pretty old and and I think he found an exit point where you know, he had a buyer for the property. It was beautiful property, right, and I think that was his his exit point in two thousand and he took advantage of that. And then then unfortunately, you know, Tom was a smoker, and and you know he used to often say though it was his smoking. Oddly enough, he thought that really helped him keep his deep baritone, that beautiful, that beautiful tone in his voice. You know, I don't know if that was his own wishful thinking or what it was. But unfortunately, if Tom died of emphysema on Thanksgiving in two thousand and three, so that that was, you know, obviously the end. But I think at the you know, in two thousand when he gave it up, he had he had a buyer and a chance to exit the business. Another outfit bought it, tried to run it for just a few years and could not. They were not successful, and it closed down as a business. I then restarted it in twenty seventeen. But I thought, here's an opportunity to restart something I completely understand, to have a business that I can call my own, in my own hometown where I used to work when I was a kid. And so the doors will swing open at four thirty. There's a there's a there's a period of showing up, enjoying, enjoying some music, and settling in and then we do kick it off with the big dinner bell ringing at five thirty and we heard everybody into a line, and we bring him through a serving line, and you know, they're going to get an old, old tin plate, hot tin plate, and we're going to throw all hot food on there, and we're going to serve that whole room in about twelve or fifteen minutes. Right, We're going to move them through in a production fashion. You know, it's not a country club. You know, Helen used to scream at us all the time. Let's keep it moving here, folks. This isn't a country club, all right. This is a chuck wagon experience, right, So we move them through a line and we sit down and you can hear that. You can hear the you know, the knives and forks banging on the on the tin plates for half an hour, and everyone enjoys their meal. It's the wranglers and the cowboys who serve the meal and who come around with the coffee lemonade and engage the guests and tell some funny silly stories and talk to them about what's going on in esses and where to go in the park, et cetera. So it's a very engaging experience. After we clear the tables and it kind of quiets down a little bit and the sun starts to set in the Rockies. Out comes the Wrangler Band, and it's about seventy five eighty minutes, and it's a range of classical nostalgia, a little bit of new stuff, some good comedy, maybe a few in person nations that are always you know, that always get people dialed in, and they kind of go away from a feeling. Hey, there's a little bit of a story here, and we are kind of connected to the West. You know, I'm not a cowboy necessarily, even though I love the romanticism of the wrangler and cowboy life, and even though you know, I rode horses a lot as a kid, not so much anymore. Right, And we only have a couple authentic cowboys in our operation because there's not many around that can sing and play guitar and maybe do some yodeling like Vick Anderson, right, that are the real dad. Right. There's a lot of people I think that they like the idea of being a cowboy or a wrangler, right, and they might dress that way, and they might really enjoy singing about it. But it's really difficult to find some real cowboys. So I'm glad we have one real cowboy, and I'm glad we have a group of people that have maybe done a little bit of those kinds of things, but they're not real cowboys. They're great entertainers who love singing this stuff and put on a great show and can tell a good story about what this is all about. And we honor those good old cowboys. I think it really grounds the guest experience around why do we call it a chalk wagon? Why do we have the food that we do? Right? It ties back to the trail rides, you know, eating the beans and biscuits, right, And I think I think it really gives people a connection to what we're what we're all about. Right. This this something that's uniquely American that we can all celebrate together. It's a part of our history. It's a part of our modern history. You've got the music and the old music and how it influenced today's modern country music. So I think I think that's all all a big part of it.
Speaker 1: And a special thanks to Quentin with Dan for opening up his home to us for this interview, If Buchanan for the pre production, and Monty Montgomery for the post production, and that one experience that stood out about his boss at the Lazy b Chuck Wagon and Show was that night of the storm when the power went out and the speakers were out too. I'll never forget the audience shushing themselves, Quenton said. And Tom kept playing, didn't miss a beat. And by the way, I remember seeing Tony Bennett at bottom Line with my family and it was a beautiful small club, five hundred people. Same thing happened, and Tony Bennett, without missing a queue, wheels up George Shearing, the keyboard player, right to the center of the audience, without missing a beat, does an hour a cappella with candles. This is what professionals do, and this is what Tom taught Quinton how to be a pro. Quentin Wheedan's story of the Lazybe Chuck Wagon and Show at Estes Park, Colorado here on our American Story